Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Lexus IS 350

spinakerspinaker Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Acura
I have been looking for a premium sports sedan and have always liked the TL ever since my cousin bought the 2004 model. However I have recently learned about the new Lexus IS and think it is going to pose a serious threat to the TL. Also I feel it has some the luxury features missing in the TL. Here is a comparison:

1) Displacement - TL=3.2l IS350=3.5l
2) HP - TL=270 IS350=300+
3) Torque - TL=238 IS350=275+
4) Acceleration - TL=6.5secs IS350=5.5-5.9secs
5) Weight - TL=3570 IS350=3525
6) Transmission - TL=5AT IS350=6AT
7) Transmission with sport mode (that is still automatic but upshifting in much higer revs - similar to BMW) - TL-No IS350=Looks like yes
8) Drivetrain - TL=FWD IS350=RWD
9) Plays MP3 - TL=no IS350=Yes
10) Keyless start standard eqpt- TL=No IS350=Yes
11) Rear backup camera with Nav - TL=No IS350=Yes
12) Ventilated Front Seats - TL=No IS350=Yes with heated seats
13) Paddle gear shift on steering wheel (F1 style) - TL=No IS350=Yes

OK before you bite my head off here are some other observations:

1) Features - are items 9-13 listed above that important to decide a car upon - No. But they are nice to have.
2) Price - I like the fact that the TL has everything as standard yet you still have to add options to the Lexus.
3) Size - The TL is a longer car, though it seems that the wheelbase is now going to be almost the same. I am waiting to see how the legroom is going to compare - (I am tall)
4) Drivetrain - If Acura launches an AWD model that will really be something. AWD is being offered by Lexus on the lower powered IS250.
5) Styling - This is very personal but I like both cars a lot.
6) Power - If Acura can't up the power to 300+ to match because of the RL isn't that a problem? The IS350 has more torque than the RL.

Opinions?

- spinaker

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Yes, I agree the IS should be an interesting competitor. I would only be interested in the AWD version. What's the power/torque of the IS250? What are the expected MSRPs? And published reports on the IS yet?
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Member Posts: 56
    On paper the IS 350 looks great, those are some awesome performance numbers. I looked at the pictures on Edmunds, and it looks like a pretty sweet ride. That is a lot of equipment and power, so price will be the big factor. I wouldn't mind taking it for a test drive!
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    I understand that the IS350/250 will be offered in a coupe format later. Does this signal that Acura should dust off the CL for rerelease?

Will the IS coupe be a retractable hardtop similar to the SC?

Acura needs to up its HP and Torque to stay competitive, but are they that concerned with being competitive with Lexus, Infinity, MB, Audi and Cadillac?

FWD must be either trashed in favor of RWD or replaced with SH-AWD
  • dlin71dlin71 Member Posts: 1
    I like the look of TL, interior/ exterior wise. But it seems you are comparing 2 cars that are very different in some aspects. 99 cu ft vs 91, RWD vs AWD, price: 40K vs 32K.
    Personally I drive a G35 which is very close to TL in terms of size and price and features. I did consider TL before, but once I test drove them I decide to take G35 because of the RWD. It's rarely to find a car tuned so comfortable on LA road surface but still provide a lot of fun/thrill when you push it to the limit. I'm not saying it matches BMW, but it's a lot closer compared to TL.
    Give G35 a try!
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I have test drove a G35 coupe and loved it, test drove the sedan didn't like it much.
  • lmnop93103lmnop93103 Member Posts: 5
    Just thought the board might be pleased with the following info:
    i just received an email back from a lexus dealer in SO CAL stating that the IS350 will be bringing in 320 horsepower; it read,"The BMW will hav 65 LESS horse power "....if that is correct, and the estimated price being 5-7 k less as was also stated...im sooooo leaning towards the IS. As much as i have been looking forward to purchasing the 330i, it appears as though the IS ahs so much going for it.
    If the IS has over 300 hp+, and handles great, the Japanese have out Germaned the the Germans!!!
  • mtl1978mtl1978 Member Posts: 3
    I am going to be getting a new car in the first three months of next year and the TL and IS 350 are also at the top of my list. So far, I have driven the TL as well as the 330i, G35, A4, and even the RX-8. I can't wait to test-drive the new IS to see how it compares to the TL. Here's my take on what I do know about the TL and IS:

TL advantages:
    1) Assuming the IS tops out around $42k, the Acura is $6,500 cheaper with a premium level of equipment. (nav, bluetooth, etc.)
    2) The Acura is arguably better looking. This is in the eye of the beholder.
    3) The TL probably will be cheaper to insure.

IS advantages:
    1) The IS is RWD and won't have the Acura's torque steer issues.
    2) The IS has more horsepower and significantly more torque.
    3) Lexus is the most reliable car on the market, and has better customer service than Acura.
    4) The pictures of the IS interior look great. Acura's interior, while certainly better than Infiniti, is not up to par with Lexus or Audi (or even the new 3-series).
    5) The Lexus has several optional features not available on the Acura, such as those you mentioned.
    6) Some TL owners have been complaining about reliability issues. Check out Acura message boards and read for yourself. You do not see similar problems reported by owners on the Lexus message boards.
    7) If you're trying to impress people, Lexus obviously has more prestige than Acura.

All that said, I think the Lexus is worth the extra $6,500 if you've got it to spend. If nothing else, I would not buy a TL until you've at least driven the new IS. Also, if you aren't looking to keep the car much longer than a couple of years, you have to consider the Germans, especially the BMW and its free maintenance.
  • jbdriverjbdriver Member Posts: 29
    Also, if you aren't looking to keep the car much longer than a couple of years, you have to consider the Germans, especially the BMW and its free maintenance.

Good assessment of the advantages of each, but looking to the germans if you're only going to own the car for a couple of years makes no sense. Toyota (Lexus) is generally known for their reliability, so the chances of actually needing repairs in the first couple of years are slim. To pay a few thousand more for a car (BMW 330i) when all you really get from it is a few free oil changes doesn't make sense. Plus with Lexus, you don't have to deal with iDrive! :P

Anyone know if the IS will come with bluetooth or ability to plug in your ipod/Mp3 player. I have not seen anything to that effect. Little things...but it may come down to some of the little things that would help me decide between these two cars.

Also, I am 6'3. I have sat in the TL in both the front and back seats and was surprised to see how much room there was in the back. It's hard to tell from looking at the pictures if someone my size could fit in both the front and back of the IS. Anyone have any insight into that? Maybe it's just a pipe dream of mine to find a compact sport sedan that can fit someone my size in both front and back at under 40k....besides the G35...but who wants that with those touchy brakes...my wife already complains that I brake too hard, the last thing I need to do is give her another excuse to side-seat drive. :P
    "Maybe it's just a pipe dream of mine to find a compact sport sedan that can fit someone my size in both front and back at under 40k...."

Lucky thing is that you will rarely have to sit in both the front and back at the same time! ;) :P

I find the width is a more important factor, because sometimes I'm "beside myself" :P :P
    The new IS will come with audio input for an iPod or other portable music device, similar to the one in the new 3-series. It's in the center console.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    The price differential will be wider than pointed out by mtl1978....

mtl1978 wrote:
    TL advantages:
    1) Assuming the IS tops out around $42k, the Acura is $6,500 cheaper with a premium level of equipment. (nav, bluetooth, etc.)

The $6,500 differential indicated assumes a comparison to MSRP. However...the real world pricing is $32k for a 2005 TL with nav. And I highly doubt that the IS 350 will be sold at any meaningful discount.

Therefore...the price spread is $10,000. :surprise: This only furthers support how much bang for the buck is available through the purchase of a TL.
    The TL is the best value on the market, no doubt, and it looks great too! :shades:
    OK...I'll bite. Where are you planning to get a TL with nav for $32k? All the dealers I've called in Southern California are charging at or near MSRP. I stick by what I said before, that there will be about a $6,500 price differential assuming the the TL is $35,500 and the IS 350 is $42,000. Regardless, I agree that the TL is a super value. I worry about 1) its reliability and build quality compared to the Lexus; 2) having owned an Acura in the past, the quality of dealer service; 3) that Acura will introduce an AWD model in '07, which will really make me wish I hadn't purchased an '06.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    A TL for MSRP???? Out here, they sell TL's for about a grand over invoice!
    Mtl1978...wow....you really need to alter how you are contacting the dealers for a quote. Yes....TL with nav for $32k.

Appears you are calling the dealers and getting whoever answers the phone. I suggest you read through the posts in the site listing prices paid and experiences.

You should be contacting the so called 'internet managers'. You can contact some that I recommended. The DCH Group dealerships in Tustin, Temecula, Mission Viejo. Keys or Glendale in northern LA. As I mentioned....the San Diego dealers are WAY off and want something like $1,500 above the others.

As for your three worries...well...I will let others on this board respond.
    In Northern CA, people are getting cars for invoice, and even below.
  • chinelochinelo Member Posts: 1
    For one, the price of the new IS350 will keep most of those who wish to own one at bay. Lexus don't make cheap cars, so we can expect to pay upwards of 40K for stuff like Navi and premium sound, items that are both standard on the TL. Also, the RWD platform is another prohibitive factor for those who do not live in the sunbelt states. This is where the premium value of the TL will continue to stand tall. For about 35K you get it all: navi, electo-luminiscent analog gauges, torque-sense in steering wheel (a great feature of the TL and its predecessor TL-S), drive-by-wire throttle and a really quite and sikly smooth drive-train in FWD to booth. For those of you willing to pay 45-47K for a fully loaded IS350, then go ahead. You can be sure of this though, Acura will answer soon to all all of this with a factory built TL- Sport with SH-AWD and 300+ HP for less than 40K. Of course, this is all intelligent supposition. :D
    "torque-sense in steering wheel "

What the h*** is this? First time in my life I have heard of *torque-sense* steering.

45K-47K?? Where do you come up with this price from? The GS300 is about that price. I really doubt the IS350 will push up against the GS300 in price.
    I have no idea how much$$ the new IS will be, but since it is a Toyota/Lexus product, it will no doubt be expensive, once optioned out.

I've bashed Toyota styling in the past, but I have to admit that the new IS appears to be a looker. I would probably be more interested if the AWD is available on the 350.
    The standard equiped TL can't be beat for the price. It's a remarkable value. :shades:
    maxhonda99....I believe that chinelo meant 'torque sensitive steering'. What that is an Acura feature to make the car more responsive and sporty feeling. When you are powering through curves....less power assist. When you are parking between cars...more power assist.

So you don't think that the IS350 will not push up against the GS300? Perhaps the fully loaded premium packaged IS350 compared to the stripped down base version of the GS300.

Either way...the point is that the TL is a great value for what is within the package and in comparison to others vehicles.

btw...the 'drive by wire' throttle is something else...got to experience that especially once the car is 'broken-in'.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    It'd be smart for the top-of-the-line IS to be similar in price to the bottom-of-the-line GS. That way, people w/ the right amount of dough can choose between a more sports-oriented entry-level car v. the more luxury-oriented mid-level car.

It's tough to compare the IS and the TL since we don't yet know whether it'd be apples to apples. I saw a review from a link posted somewhere in these forums. The review was very recent, and the author still didn't know what the pricing or actual hp of th 250/350 would be. What kind of reviewer could review a car without knowing its pricepoint and hp #s??? :confuse: Obviously, it must've been based on what Lexus told him - probably more advertising than informing.

Unfortuantely for the TL, I think they've maxed out the hp and torgue they can give to afwd car. Hopefully they'll develop a rwd TL based on the S2000. As it is, the Acura is a well-balanced car, balancing between luxury and sportiness. If they went rwd, they could maintain that balance while blowing the doors off the competition!!!! :P Right now, the Infiniti G can blow the doors off a TL, but I like the TL's balance better.
    the Infiniti G can blow the doors off a TL

not the 280 hp sedan. :P
    280 hp & 270 torque v 270/238?!? "Blow-the-doors-off" might be an exageration, but with a rwd platform, I think it's the quicker car.

I know there's a lot more too it than hp & torque, but that's all my little mind can grasp!!! :cry:
    Consumer Reports test drives had the TL as slightly faster than the G sedan. Yes on paper the TL should be slower but it's not. Car and Driver also had the TL as faster than the G.
    "So you don't think that the IS350 will not push up against the GS300? Perhaps the fully loaded premium packaged IS350 compared to the stripped down base version of the GS300. "

Nah...I don't see a IS350 factory loaded costing $47K. I see in perhaps the low $40K range, about $42K-$43K factory loaded.

"I believe that chinelo meant 'torque sensitive steering'. What that is an Acura feature to make the car more responsive and sporty feeling. When you are powering through curves....less power assist."

Basically, variable power assist. nothing new.
    We'll wait to see the MSRP pricing when it is announced. But the spirit of the original post is that the possibility of Lexus dealers providing a meaningful discount off of MSRP is remote.

As for torque sensitive steering....not new. However...ever tried a different maker's variable power assist? Spongy. Acura...well done.
    "However...ever tried a different maker's variable power assist? Spongy. Acura...well done. "

Sorry, but a FWD car's steering is rarely better feeling than a RWD cars.
    You know these 2 cars that we are trying to compare are 2 very different cars. And as far as sport goes, I would bet that the IS350 will make the TL feel like a Buick(maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture).

WHat prices the dealer charges ultimately depends on supply & demand. It's kinda pointless to discuss that at this point in time.
    I would bet that the IS350 will make the TL feel like a Buick

LOL, not even a BMW makes the TL feel like a buick. The TL handles great! :P
  • timidatortimidator Member Posts: 3
    Your post intrigued me, so I decided to check it out. The test numbers posted by Consumer Reports are based on an automatic transmission 2003 G35. The 2003 G35 has 260 HP. The test numbers for the TL are from an automatic transmission 2005 TL. The 2005 TL has 270 HP. According to Consumer Reports the G35 was 6.8 seconds to 60 and the TL was 6.7 seconds. Since the 2005 G35 has 280 HP in the automatic and 298 HP in the manual, I don't believe the TL can be said to be a little quicker than the G35. I don't think it is quite fair to compare models that are 2 years apart. By the way, both of these numbers appear to be very, very conservative. Maybe the tester was a two footed driver and had the G35 brake pedal depressed a little more than the TL's.
    If the G35 weighs more, that'll slow it down. Also, I always see something about "displacement," but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it has to do with you aerodynamic a vehicle is. If so, that'd make a difference too. :confuse:
    "Also, I always see something about "displacement,""

Displacement usually relates to engine size on these boards. ie. 3.5L is the displacement size of the G35's V6 engine.
    Well, a bigger engine doesn't necessarily provide more power than a smaller one, so I guess "displacement" doesn't play a roll in the accelleration equation? :confuse:
    The last sentence in post #30 sums up the points made. "It's kinda pointless to discuss at this point in time."

It is pointless as the Lexus IS 350 specs and pricing have not been released. However...the current IS 300 may clue us in on what to expect.

While the IS 350 has not been released, the current Lexus IS 300 is more a comparable to the Acura TSX as an entry-level luxury vehicle. However the Lexus IS 300 weakness is a boy-racer interior design, lack of roominess especially in the rear seats and an overall lower degree of quality and finish.

As for pricing...strong indications are that the Lexus IS will be significantly higher in price compared to the TL.....maxhonda even indicated:
    I see in perhaps the low $40K range, about $42K-$43K factory loaded
    "It is pointless as the Lexus IS 350 specs and pricing have not been released. However...the current IS 300 may clue us in on what to expect. "

Actually no, the current IS300 will not clue us into what the IS350 will offer. The IS350 is a totally different animal. The only real similarities between the outgoing IS300 and the IS350 will be that they are both RWD and both are similar size. Otherwise they are totally different. Some specs we already know or kinda know. For example, we know the IS350 will have at least 310bhp. Some sites are saying 318-319bhp. The IS300 only had 215, and I question even if it had that much.

"lack of roominess especially in the rear seats and an overall lower degree of quality and finish."

I would definately not call the current IS300 lacking in quality or finish. It was a very refined piece drive wise. And it was definately high quality. Material use as in all Lexus vehicles was excellent, and fit & finish are excellent also. Just because it had that boy-racer look doesn't mean it was lacking in quality or fit & finish. I wouldn't exactly say the TSX is higher quality either. I mean it has a dash lifted straight out of the Accord. Not much differentiation for the extra money one spends at the Acura showroom.

"As for pricing...strong indications are that the Lexus IS will be significantly higher in price compared to the TL.....maxhonda even indicated: "

Well as I said before, the Lexus IS350 will definately be more sport than the Acura TL. To the point as I said previously, the IS350 will probably make the TL feel Buick-ish. RWD vs. FWD when it comes to performance there is no contest. And the IS350's direct competitors are more the Audi A4, BMW 3-series, and Infiniti G35.
    the IS350 will probably make the TL feel Buick-ish.

Whuzzup with camparing a TL with a Buick? :confuse: I have driven BMWs, and there is not that much differernce in handleing compared to the TL. The TL competes very well with all the cars you mentioned. In fact the G35 fish-tails, the TL doen't.

boy-racer

I never understood this label. :P
    "Whuzzup with camparing a TL with a Buick?"

I said buick-ish.

The TL competes well with the BMW 3-series? In terms of handling, steering feel, I think the difference is vast. FWD has it's limitations. RWD is far superior(especially on a BMW) when it comes to the *sport* factor.

*fish-tailing* is a characteristic of RWD cars. FWD cars can't fishtail.
    The TL competes well with the BMW 3-series?

The TL competes very well with the BMW. In road tests the BMW was just a little quicker in the slalom, and slower in straight ahead 0-60 and quarter mile. :P
    Of course it is a totally different car than the IS300...as it is a redesign. However...there is no dispute that Lexus is strategically placing this model as the entry level of its lineup. Below the ES (which has been traditionally compared to the TL) and the GS (which is more performance oriented).

As for how you pointed out that the TSX dash is lifted straight out of the Accord. Two items of note.
    1) Common knowledge...the TSX is the international version of the Accord brought into the USA.
    2) The dash should be familar to maxhonda as I see you are current driving a year 2000 Honda Accord.

The TL is not the Accord you are driving. Enjoy your Accord until your purchase of a Lexus IS350. At the same time...consider the GS 430.
    Boy-racer... Taken from the European term of the practice by young British males of stupidly modifying cars and general driving like lunatics. Essentially...a wanna-be driver. :surprise:
    Please....let's clear up a few misconceptions.

1) the current TSX's dash is lifted out of the current generation Accord(2003 to current). Not the 2000 Honda Accord which I own(there was no TSX then).

2) Yes, the current TL is based on the new generation Accord(again 2003 to current). Did you think I thought the current TL is based on my Accord therefore I'm comparing the TL to the BMW without driving a current TL??? The TL is vastly different from even the current Accord, but since I have driven a current TL, don't compare it to a BMW 3-series. The FWD handling no way compares to the RWD handling capabilities of a BMW 3-series. For the average consumer of these cars they wouldn't notice much difference, but if you are a total sports car freak, the difference is easily discernable between the 2. And it's not all about slalom times and 0-60times. Obvious traits of a BMW 3-series over a TL(again), 1) near 50/50 weight distribution vs. closer to 60/40 on the TL, this clearly improves handling and feel, less understeer with the BMW 2) RWD is clearly superior when it comes to sport.

"Enjoy your Accord until your purchase of a Lexus IS350. At the same time...consider the GS 430."

Enjoy your TL(?).

BTW, how do you come to the conclusion I'm buying a IS350? Something you know that I don't know?
    It's funny, I read all these posts about how the 3 series or G35 or new IS is gonna make the TL feel sluggish and slow b/c of its FWD platform (in spite of driving tests showing the TL competing favorably with those models) and I get depressed about my TL. :cry: Then I get in my TL and have a blast cruising in and out of traffic, taking on & off-ramps a little too quickly :blush: , and looking for windy roads to enjoy its precise handling. I even enjoy red lights, if I can be the 1st car in line, so I can test my 0-60 times! I'm the 1st one to admit that the torque steer is annoying, but if I'm ready for it, I can still have a great time.

I'm not a street-racer guy. I'm a regular working-guy who's a husband and father, and I just want to enjoy my drive around town and to and from work. Normally, that means speed and handling, which the TL has plenty of. Sometimes (like when I'm with my wife and can't drive fast), that means relaxing and enjoying the interior, which when you take into account the materials, price and features, is no contest - TL by a length!!!!

All you IS/3-Series/G35 guys, have a good time driving 'cause they're all good vehicles, but if enjoying your ride means more than just 0-60 and you're not driving a TL, you're missing something. Something's missing either in your car or from your wallet!!! :cry:
    Great, and funny, post! :P I have floored my TL on many occaisions and I have never felt a tug left or right. I own an automatic, and I understand torque steer isn't a problem with automatics. The TL, similar to the G35 has a great roar when you floor it. ;)
    ljwalters1 summarizes it well. In real time and life...the TL is a blast to drive with no noticable torque steer (and yes...I am familar with rear wheel drives)...with sophistication.

In fact...I had a G35 courtesy car when my past Infiniti was in for repairs...and I have to say that my TL is just as fun (and trust me...I really torqued that courtesy car as it was an extended test drive for several days without a sales rep to hold me back).

I just hit my 40th bday and I am not a street-racer but professional executive. My wife and I typically have two performance-luxury cars each (no suv or minivan) (who knows...I might buy a Lexus IS350 or GS to supplement my TL). And right now I still find myself reaching for the TL keys for the sheer balance of luxury and sport. I can bring professional clients, peers, and friends into my car and be able to fit four comfortably (try to sit in the back seat of a G35 coupe and you will see) in the car that is sophisticated...yet still has performance handling which the occupants can appreciate.

I also have the balance with my TL to enjoy solo commutes burning the road with an excellent appointed interior with alumium trims and wood-grain inserts (most of the TL interiors have cool high-tech carbon fibre inserts...but parchment has wood inserts...at no extra costs! ) and sound system...especially on extended drives where others vehicles may not be as comfortable.

My friends have G35s, BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes, etc...and the TL holds one thing in common with others. All great vehicles which are satisfying to drive.

ljwalters1 is correct...look at the total package not in isolated stats. The TL might not be for everyone...but it sure is a well balanced package (as stated in numerous professional and owner reviews)...sold with great amentities for its price...that is a blast to drive.

Suggestion to all...get off the net...and test drive a TL to experience the package...and make your own purchase decisions.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    I like this guy- we share the same thoughts about the TL, although i have the 03 TLS.

My wife slows me down whenever she rides with me.:)
    Wonderful post, just a great description of the TL!!! It really does everything very well. :)
    The TL is hardly sluggish. I think as usual, people fail to read the post and read in between the lines. Stick to reading posts as is. My simple point is that no matter how fast a TL's 0-60 times are, it is not the sports sedan the BMW 3-series is. That by no means means the TL sucks, or isn't *sporty*. And for the people that don't live on a race track(99.999%) of us, you can hardly tell the handling capability difference between a TL and a 330i or G35 for example. And honestly, the TL would be my first choice over the BMW 3-series or Infiniti G35 due to the TL being a better overall vehicle. Great price, great power, a very nice interior and excellent feature content. But I wouldn't fool myself into thinking it would be comparable to a BMW 330i at 10/10ths driving!
    I tested a 330i Coupe. Personally what I didn't like about it is that it had 225hp vs 270hp in the TL....with a base sticker of $39,000 for a stripped car with nothing in it. Nice drive...but I still thought the G35 handling was better. Lacked the total package experience as I wrote in my earlier post. Personal preference.
    I have no bones to pick with that last post, MaxHonda.

And thank you to all my newfound fans out there!! You did wonders for my ego!!!! :shades:
This discussion has been closed.