Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Nissan

Comments

• damavrdamavr Member Posts: 15
    For our new 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 using the computer MPG it shows an average of 15 mpg which is very low. This is a mix of highway and city miles and it is very low.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    With about 5,000 miles on our '05 SE 4WD, we get between 18-19 mpg with 75% hwy commuting. I've seen 20-21 on pure hwy trips. I drive it fairly conservatively because I know lead-footing will drop these numbers signicantly. MPG is a tad higher than what I was getting with my '01 PF. For a vehicle this size, I'm not complaining.
  • 16211621 Member Posts: 1
    I've only got 1300 miles on my SE 4x4, and I am getting 22 on the freeway at about 65 mph and 16 in mixed city/freeway driving. I am using 87 octane. During purely stop and go driving [lots of stoplights], I am getting 14 or 15 mpg.

Overall, this is a little better than I expected.
  • thrbekthrbek Member Posts: 14
    I have about 500 miles on my 2005 Pathfinder LE and I'm getting similar gas mileage. (21-22 on HWY and 15-17 in town)

This is about what I expected. I think I could get even better mileage on the highway if I didn't live in such a hilly area. There are a few long flat highways that I've driven and the real-time MPG settles in around 23 MPG when I set the cruise control at 60MPH. (The speed limit.)

:)

-Tony
  • prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    With almost 4,000 on our 2005 LE using mid-grade gas, I am turning in the following results:

Highway: 19-21. My best tank on pure highway driving was 21.5.

"worst case" local: 12.5. This on one tank dedicated entirely to very short trips (drop off at school, pick up dry cleaning, run over to the mall). Probably the worst driving you can do short of just idling in your driveway.

Mixed Use: 16-17. :surprise:
  • edshereredsherer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Nissan Pathfinder XE 3.3L. It has 120K miles, and has had all repair work done but I have not yet replaced timing belt. When cruise control is engaged, in other words, at constant speed, the engine will randomly rev up 400-1000 rpm and then drop back down. Then rev back up again and down. Not always at the same speed, but commonly on highway. Additionally, at times I will take foot off the accelerator, and the engine will not drop to idle rpms, but hold at a level higher than normal. If I jam the accelerator to free this problem, then there is a jerk underneath as if engine catches itself, and then rpms are normal. For a while at least. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • brucek1brucek1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at buying a 2005 Pathfinder LE. I read the specs and it recommends that premium fuel is used. But I see that some people are using regular. My question is can the 2005 Pathfinder run under regular unleaded gas?
    Thanks
  • prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    I think the answer is yes based on what I've read. They recommend premium but you don't have to use it.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    However, past experience indicates you would get poorer mileage, enough to more than offset the lower cost of the fuel. In other words, you would probably experience a lower cost per mile using premium.
  • jishcorpjishcorp Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys,

I drive a 2001 Pathfinder SE 4x4....the specs say that the fuel tank is 21.1 gallons. But each time my guage hits empty, I could fill only 15.5 gallons max. Is there like a 6 gallon safety net? Thanks.

Jish
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    I think so. The '05 seems to be the same way.
  • jbates99jbates99 Member Posts: 9
    My 99 Pathfinder SE (3.3 L engine) can get 23.4 MPG at 65 MPH hiway driving with A/C OFF.

At 70 MPH will usually get 22 MPH easily hiway only.

These are a bit better than EPA for this year I think. I'm happy, considering the cost of gasoline !
    John
  • fatpuppyfatpuppy Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 1995 Pathfinder4WD SE 3.0. This old steed has 150000 miles on it. I put in Bosch Plus 4 plugs, and dropped in a K&N filter. Milage went from 15mpg to ~19 city, ~20 hwy consistently for the last 6 years or so. Doing research on Green air filter. Anyone have any experience with these?
  • jimesqjimesq Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 (wife's vehicle) 8000 miles on it. I consistently get 17-18 mpg in mostly city driving, on all highway trips I will get 20-21 mpg. Unleaded 87 Octane. Dealership told me that regular is all that is needed. Although I have heard you may get slightly better mpg with premium fuel. Nowhere on the vehicle itself or owners manual does it require use of premium fuel.
  • brown3brown3 Member Posts: 26
    2006 Pathfinder LE 4x4. After 5000 miles, I'm averaging about 18.5 MPG (regular grade gas) in what I'd call "hill country suburban" driving - mostly hilly roads with posted speeds of 50-60 MPH and occasional stoplights, with some residential (30 MPH) driving thrown in. This is 2+ MPG better than I was getting in my smaller, less powerful '93 Explorer 4x4. The dashboard gage is consistently within 0.2 MPG of what I get when computing fuel economy manually, so the Nissan engineers did their homework.
  • rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    my PF se 2003 with 47000 miles I get about 19 MPG,city and highway miles mixed. miles driven devided by gallons to fill the tank.
  • pete42pete42 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Pathfinder LE 4x4 with only 15,500 miles on it. After my first tank full i only got 13.2 mpg.
    I would have bought a v8 if i new my milage was going to be this poor.

Pete :confuse:
  • mellowcatmellowcat Member Posts: 3
    This is my 3rd Pathfinder. In the past I've had a '91, 97' and now a 2001.

Best economy of the 3 was pure highway with the '97, I could get 19mpg with 89octane gas. The 2001 gets much worse mileage. City driving can drop the mpg to 12, highway is usually 15-17mpg at best. I do have AT style tire on it now, I got better mileage running a highway rib style tire.

The 3.5 Engine needs Premium from my experiences. I kept getting check engine lights running 89 octane.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    You would have bought a V8 what? Toyota 4Runner is the only comparable truck with a V8 that I'm aware of. After both companies revised their HP ratings to reflect power at the drive wheels, Yota's V8 is at 260hp, vs Nissan's 266hp V6. Don't know about the MPG, but I'd bet a month's IRA distribution that Yota's is no better. Sure, there's the Ford Explorer V8. But it's . . . a Ford Explorer. :sick:

One full tank isn't sufficient to establish overall mileage. I'm on my fourth full tank of premium in my '06 PF LE, and I'm at about 16 mpg with NO highway miles. Reset the MPG readout now, drive it for a month without resetting it, then tell us how you're doing.
  • villahidalgovillahidalgo Member Posts: 9
    My wife's V8 06 4runner gets about 22 mpg in the highway driving 70+mph, and around 18 in the city, driving in a hilly area. I test drove both before we bought it and the 4runner engine defintively felt more powerful, quieter and smoother. A friend has an 05 PF and had been complaining about the poor mileage he gets, which we confirmed when we went on a ski trip from So Cal to Mammoth driving both cars, he spent $5 to $10 more both times we filled up the tank.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well a V8 is going to be more torquey than the V6 is. $5 is like 1.5 gallons at most. The ride in the 4-wheel indy suspension PF should be better.

-mike
    It was actually 2 to 4 gallons more on the PF ($2.40/gal). More torque, power, better ride, better mileage and quality? I'll take the 4runner any day.
    4wheel indy suspension will ride better than the 4-runner, oh and cost.... toyota will be way more as well.

-mike
    We got the sport edition with XREAS suspension, handles great...Resale value in a toyota is way higher than a nissan, and when I quoted both, the 4runner was only $400 more, to me it was a no brainer. Sorry you made the wrong choice.
    These are the closing comments on the review of the 05 Pathfinder, and below the 03 4runner, by Edmunds.com

05 PATHFINDERAfter a week with a 2005 Pathfinder SE 4x4, we can't deny the wide-ranging capabilities of this SUV. It's certainly quick and it can haul kids and cargo with the best of 'em.
    But it sacrifices the surefooted handling and braking of the old Pathfinder in the name of off-road capability. And although its cabin is comfortable and well equipped, it's not put together with a great deal of care. Were it our money, we'd think long and hard before spending it on the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder.

03 4RUNNER
    Mulling over our week with the 4Runner, we were struck by how Toyota nearly always hits the nail on the head when revamping one of its vehicles. With the 2003 Toyota 4Runner, the company has done it again by providing a level of ride comfort and on-road handling that rivals most car-based "soft-roaders," while also enhancing its already renowned off-road skills.
    You still have a solid rear axle, and $400 more for a v8 4-runner? would you mind breaking down the prices and also breaking down the Actual price one would pay v. list price?

Toyota does make a good truck however, your comments "sorry you made the wrong choice" are a bit un-called for.

Then again I paid $34k OTD for my Armada LE 4wd w/60 mo 1% financing so who really made the wrong choice? :)

-mike
    A solid rear axle, and yet better ride than most car based SUVs.

The armada is not a mid size SUV, so it is not really comparable to the 4runner, so why even bring it up? However, read any reviews on the Armada and it is usually on all the worst reliability full size SUV lists. Here is one of such lists from Consumer Reports:
    Least reliable (Worst score first)
    Nissan Armada
    Infiniti QX56
    Lincoln Navigator
    Hummer H2

(http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/reliable/9.html)

Here is a list of midsize SUVs, most reliable:
    Most reliable (Best score first)
    Toyota Highlander Hybrid* (pictured)
    Toyota 4Runner
    Toyota Highlander
    Honda Pilot
    Lexus RX400h* (hybrid)
    2006 Acura MDX

(http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/reliable/8.html)

Cheaper to me is not necessarily better. I paid $27k for the 4runner, but again it is a smaller SUV not comparable to the Armada.
    Thanks for proving my point. This Pathfinder MPG, not Toyota v. Nissan....

Let's move on....

-mike
  • dreamer9dreamer9 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1998 Pathfinder SE with 100K. It is a very reliable car except for the gas milage. It gives about 14 in city and 18 Hwy MPG. With the incresing gas prices, I am in a dilema whether to keep it or replace with a smaller more fuel efficient car. The problem is that it will be difficult to get any money for this old car.

Is there a way to improve its fuel efficiency somehow? Or is it has average MPG? Appreciate for your :confuse: advise?
  • paulsed1paulsed1 Member Posts: 4
    I am just looking for thoughts from those of you that have a 2008 Pathfinder (or from 2005 on I guess) and how you feel about the mileage and what kind of gas you use. I currently have a 1999 Pathfinder and have been considering trading up. I like the look of the new Pathfinder, even though they have gone to a truck base. But I am surprised they recommend using premium fuel. While my '99 wasn't exactly mileage friendly, I could still deal with it, it wasn't too bad. I could also use 87 octane. Some say 93 burns slower, but is it really that noticeable? I don't want a secnd job just to pay for gas as I do drive a lot, but I really like the vehicles. Any thoughts or comments?

All the best,
    Paul
  • mizzriveramizzrivera Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 V6 4X2 LE with 1500 miles on it and according to the MPG computer I'm getting around 18MPG with mixed city/hwy driving. Straight highway with the cruise on 80mph I average 21MPG. Also, I've only put 87 octane in it. So I don't think that's too bad. Plus I LOVE my SUV!
  • beach4mebeach4me Member Posts: 1
    We are considering a Pathfinder ('05/'06). What is the real world MPG? We are a family of five and need the third seat for trips.

Any other words of advice? We are also considering the Honda Pilot.
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    Disappointed:
    2007 SE Auto Pathfinder 4x4. Mostly highway, I live in South Florida = 15.2 mpg. Here to Orlando = 19 mpg. Tried regular, mid grade & premium. $3.15 - $3.50 a gallon, not impressive.

Reg. Frank R.
  • zipper1googlezipper1google Member Posts: 3
    Also disappointed here. I, too, have an '07 SE. I'm averaging about 16mpg. I haven't see anything above 18mpg. And it has a terrible vibration at about 40-45mpg. Dealer test drove two others on the lot when I reported the vibration and both of those also had it. Seems to be common in this model. I wouldn't buy another one.
    Wendy
  • flosjaflosja Member Posts: 1
    The 08 4x4 S model I have gets about 14/15mpg on short trips and about 18/19 on the highway. I was curious if anyone here knows any good performance chips to put in that will enhance the mpg? Thanks
    2007 SE Automatic, 15.2 mpg with 5 mile each way (45mph) & 25 mile each way (65 mph) trips. Really bad mpg got better from my Ford Explorer V8. See my other Pathfinder posts, noisy wipers (Thump thump, backwards and forward), Tranny changing up and down Unnecessarily at 40 mph, rear end creaking on pulling away from stop, wheels vibrate after running over a bump, twig, stone in the road, rattles when closing doors. Heated sets, are hot sometimes, others warm seems to have a mind of its own. Dual temp control seems useless, put one side at 60 f the other at 80f both give out same air temp. Front passenger window, rattles when open. Rear base woofer, even on zero bass, makes intermittent booming & rattle sound.
    This SUV is the worst quality I have owned, it drives like an old pick up truck instead of a semi luxury SUV. Lots of gadgets, that do not work. Dealer not interested, says all problems, normal. I can't decide if that’s Nissan's, answer or the lazy dealer. Coral Springs Nissan FL.
    Reg. Frank R.
    Ps. Lease has 26 months to go, wish I could get rid of it next week.
  • sevenupsevenup Member Posts: 2
    same or other car makers have source to put in more or less good, but all is depends on suppliers. maybe its just suppliers they use or nothing of that list, ;) just some manufacturers are switching between suppliers for :( some of that new supply may go wrong, and manufacturers don't pay responsibility to cover this its suppliers that warrantied such products which they build. all may seems not that wrong
  • xtierraxtierra Member Posts: 55
    your gas mpg might be effected if your pathfinder has a carbon canister that works with fuel system to take the fuel vapors from the gas tank to the intake.... the problem is that the carbon canister that controls that system has an open air breather line that attaches to the inside of the xterra frame... if the pathfinder is build similar, then it has a carbon canister system also...........this open air line can be polluted by dirt and dust.... specially if you had to change your purge valve on the carbon canister.........i just replaced my 2nd valve ........1st one at 44k second one at 100,000 last week... when i removed the valve, i found dirt and dust all over it............ while the 2 other fittings for the other hoses where not visibly polluted with dust or dirt, i took out a compressor line to the center hose fitting and blew a ton of dirt and dust out of the purge valve opening....... so my vapor line has been sending fuel vapors and dust into the intake system........ hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm something to have checked......... to those who work on their own cars......the purge valve has 2 plastic locking things..... if you try to lift out the purge valve without having the 2 plastic things on the right are, you will rubb plastic of the locking mechanism and will have to use gasket seal to place on the opening of valve as you push it into place and lock it in to position............ also, some of you might want to check your mass air sensor wich i also found with dust on it...... you can clean it by removing and using gloves and special cleaner for the mass sensor cleaner....... good luck... i hope to see some feed back on this important subject....
    after 3 weeks of going crazy over my 10 to 11 mpg i found the mechanic that found the solution. when ever you disconect your battery, your ecu is re-set to re-learning air/fuel procedure wich begins when you start the truck. idle truck to warm, then keep rpm's 1000 to 1500 . take truck to open highway keeping rpm's low and get truck to 60 mph . stay at 60 mph for 15 minutes. my engine performance was at 86% prior to mechanics instructions and re-setting ecu.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    Just bought a used 05 LE w/ 40k miles. I'm in SE PA. I can't get anything above 16 mpg mixed. I drive very cautiously, always keeping the rpms below 2500 - most of the time under 2000. Plus I've checked everything I know of and can't get it any better. Is this normal???
    2007 Path SE Auto 4x4.
    Live South Fl, mixed journeys 5 miles (local roads are 45 mph) to 3 times per week 25 miles each way hwy. On a good day 15.5 mpg. If local only drive, goes down to 13/14. Worst truck I ever had for mpg. My Ford Explorer V8, did better mpg, NYC bumper to bumper, got 12.5 mpg.
    Reg. Frank R.
    Ps. this mpg is on screen or tank to tank measure.
  • waikylamwaikylam Member Posts: 19
    I have an 06' SE w/ 28k and currently i am getting about 16mpg. commute mainly freeway in seattle/bellevue, but lots of stop and go. on road trips i get about 19.5mpg, but i am considered a lead foot transplant from san diego. Why can't these people get out of the fast lane if they want to drive under the speed limit. Come ON at least drive the speed limit.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Why can't these people get out of the fast lane if they want to drive under the speed limit.

I think they are either oblivious or they're just trying to keep everyone else safe. :shades:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    OK so i've been thinkin about this more and i got me to wondering... assuming an 05 has an oil cooler (i'm pretty sure it does) could this be helping to reduce mpg when it's winter? oil is always cold unless driven a good distance/time?

So anyway, it's been in the 50's here the last few days and my 05 Pathy has definitely shown increased mpgs with the warmer temps. I'd guess 1.5 - 2 mpg. so i'd say this adds some support to my "cold oil/oil cooler" theory?
    the best way to find out if your engine is performing correctly is doing a 0 to 60 mph and seing how many seconds it took..... on my v6 2005 xterra, i got 9.9 seconds...........something was really wrong.....specially since i have the 14hp K&N intake kit..... i began to be scared thinking maybe a ring was bad on a cylinder... wrong....
    i dont like that when i turn off the truck and sit in it.. sometimes i will see guage needles drop down and go back to normal...... the question is if its re-setting something with the ECU../////////////////// who knows...
    so if you have disconected the battery for cleaning the posts or something else.... your ecu is under re-learing mode and if you drive as usual the air/fuel mixture will be set wrong.... thus causing a horrible 0 to 60 mph test...
    disconect your battery for 30 minutes.... then re-conect.. now the ECU is officially under re-learing air/fuel mixture...... start the truck and allow fluids to warm up.... then drive with rpm's under 2,000 (i stayed from 1,400 to 1,600) then head to open highway and get truck up to 60 mph for 15 to 20 minutes..... on some tech sites i have read that 50 miles of driving is best for re-learning procedure.
This discussion has been closed.