Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Real World MPG

Comments

• mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    New 05 3.5SE 5M with 300 miles on it, 27 MPG at 70-75 MPH using trip computer.
    If this is right very happy. Ole MIke
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    2002 Altima 3.5SE manual

EPA: 21 city, 26 highway
    Actual: 18-19 city, 27-28 highway (calculated by hand -- trip computer reads high)
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    I've got an 03 2.5S w 30k on it.

My experience has been that the hwy mileage is good. I probably get around 28 to 30 and I've got a fairly heavy foot on the open road. Locally, I find that the car an be a real gas guzzler when I do alot of crawling. I lived in Queens until just a couple of weeks ago so I had many weeks when I would avg around 15 mph and found that the gas mileage would drop well below 20 mpg. If I average 30, the economy would far more acceptable. I probably got 23 - 25 mpg under those circumstances.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I went through my mileage log spreadsheet and came up with some interesting stats. As I wrote above, my car is an '02 Altima 3.5SE with manual transmission. I do mostly city driving. My daily commute is currently 3.5 miles and takes me around 20 minutes, so it's pretty slow.

Since I bought the car in December 2001, I have:
    Driven 35942 miles
    Purchased $3252.70 and 1731.7 gallons of gas

My long-term average MPG is 20.8.
    My best MPG for a tank is 29.9 when we took a long road trip.
    My worst MPG for a tank is 13.9.
    My average fuel cost per mile is 9.0 cents/mile.

Gas prices have ranged from $1.25/gal in December 2001 to $3.50/gallon in September 2005. Average price has been $1.88/gal.
  • caaltima05caaltima05 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Altima 2.5S for about six months. I have the automatic trannie.

MPG city about 22-23 mpg.

MPG highway about 30.

Best highway MPG was 33 on a long trip using a lot of cruise control.
  • speedin4jesusspeedin4jesus Member Posts: 4
    I own a 99 altima, and it does better than other cars. Not as great as sentras or corollas, but it has more power also! On average I get about 350 miles or so to a full tank.
  • blackd7blackd7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Alti 2.5S. It has 78K miles, auto transmission, Yokohama Touring tires. I only use Mobil 1 Synthetic since I purchased it new. I occasionally use Chevron Gas additive, BMW recommends it for their cars.

I normally get between 30 and 34mpg on highway during warm weather when the air conditioning isn't on and going 70mph

In winter I get as low as 27 and 28 mpg :cry: on the highway
    Last week due to the insane gas price jump I dropped my speed from 70mph and wouldn't go over 66mph. I stayed in the 64-65mph range and I got an amazing 37.5 MPG :) . I must admit I did drive behind a a few semis, a couple of days to kind of draft.

I have gotten 34-35mpg on a tankful before but never literally 38MPG.
    Now that was an awesome feeling.
  • rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    My 2006 Altima 2.5 special edition is averaging 26.5 (heavy foot)m.p.g. My best mpg was 35.5 driving 55-62 mph on the ny state thruway from nj. This is based soley on the trip computer. When i got the car with 80miles on it. the computer read 19.5mpg with an average of 2mph.
  • snowiesnowie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Nissan Altima GXE (2.4l 4-cyl). I average 30-32mpg (computed manually). I drive mainly highways at around 75mph.

I recently took a long trip that forced me to use country roads (no direct highway), with a max speed of 55mph. My mpg jumped to 39mpg!!

I do use some low cost enhancements on it which I believe helped; Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs (100,000mile life), K&N drop-in filter, touring tires (threadware rating 620).

I've just started using synthetic oil, so hopefully the mpg figure could see a minor improvement.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Had a 2.5S rental for a 220 mile trip, all highway with overall average (per GPS of 65 mpg). Freeway speeds were 70-80 mph and about 40 miles of 2 lane highway at 55-65. Averaged over 34 mpg (6.4 gal to fill up). I was very impressed.
  • xjungrocxxjungrocx Member Posts: 1
    2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE (Manual transmission)
    w/ AEM cold-air intake

City: 19 MPG
    HWY: 28 MPG

calculated by hand (trip computer gives higher reading)
    my gas mileage has been great so far. I have been getting over 31.5+ mpg with the AC running on max based on the trip computer going 80-85 behind cars on the NYS thruway. When i'm the only car on the highway. I have to drive 75 with the AC off to get that kind of mileage with no people in the car. I drive over 550 miles on every tank. i usually get 28.2 mpg going the same 80-85 on the highway with no cars on the road with the AC on. I got my car in April and i now have 12,000 miles on it with not a single problem.
  • valleyvalley Member Posts: 12
    I envy you guys' high numbers :confuse: My 2000 Altima (GXE 2.5L, 4-speed auto) fared far worse. Out of EPA city/highway ratings of 21/28, I got 22 to 23 mixed (35%/65%) when the car was new; city could easily fall to 18 mpg and highway trips would post 25 mpg. I have always driven conservatively, and rarely use A/C in this car.

When this car becomes older, I now use even more aggressive conservation maneuvers to get 23 mpg city most (65%/35%) and 28 mpg highway. I'd love to learn some of your tricks. (Gotta admit that I wasn't very at tentative to tire pressure, but I would expect better mpg when the car was brand new.)
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    ))"Gotta admit that I wasn't very at tentative to tire pressure, but I would expect better mpg when the car was brand new."((

Nothing could be farther from the truth. A new engine is as tight as it'll ever be (until rebuilt again - if ever). The sliding/rotating parts have yet to achieve their ideal seating with their mating parts. To some degree this is also happening with the transmission. This period is traditionally referred to as "run-in" or "break-in", and though it's not nearly as involved a procedure as in previous times, it's still something that has to take place and will initially impact fuel economy. Engines don't hit their fuel economy stride until around 5,000 miles of accumulated mileage. Tire pressure will definitely affect fuel economy, too. Dealerships love to adjust tire pressure down below the factory recommended level prior to delivery to achieve a "boulevard" ride. A new tire will also lose some pressure initially until its bead fully seals against the wheel rim. Whatever its cause, lower pressure increases rolling resistance (bad for fuel economy), negatively impacts traction, and increases heat buildup within the tire (bad for tire life). Some owners actually prefer running their tire pressure several pounds more than the factory-recommended setting for further decreased rolling resistance and internal heat buildup. (But never increase the cold pressure beyond the maximum limit molded on the tire sidewall.)
  • valleyvalley Member Posts: 12
    Good point, ray_h1. (Note to self: Don't think you know physics; mechanics is what matters here :P ) Also nice pointer about "boulevard" ride. When I measured new, it was after break-in according to manual, i.e., 1,000 miles. With then commute of 20 miles/day, it took a while to get past 5,000 mile mark.
    Just the other day i took a trip up north on the NYS thruway and got amazing gas mileage for the speed i was going. I average 32+mpg going 80-100(everybody was flying) M.P.H and on the way back averaged 35+ going 70-72. Iv'e already put 17,000 miles on the car and it's only 5 months old so the good gas mileage is a plus. I usually drive at least 500 miles on almost every tank. the most miles iv'e driven on a tank has been 615 miles.
  • cryptoguycryptoguy Member Posts: 1
    I doubt I am the first to ask this question...
    Warranties...
    Wife is buying a Honda Accord -
    I am buying a Pathfinder...
    What is the best deal on warranties for each?
    I am seeing lots of different options and my dealer is
    offering a few choices also, in different price ranges...
    Options???
    Thanks
    cryptoguy...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi cryptoguy - welcome!

This is an Altima Real World Mileage discussion, so the folks who can answer you probably aren't going to see your post here.

What you want to do is check out the groups on the Accord and the Pathfinder. We also have a general discussion on Extended Warranties that may be helpful.

Enjoy!
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    2006 Altima 3.5 auto w/9000 miles on it.
    Took a trip and went 847 miles.
    Pretty much all highway at 60-75 MPH.
    The car got 29 MPG., not bad.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Any data yet on mpg for the 2007 Altima - curious to see if it is really going to live up to the increased EPA estimates.
  • temeculatemecula Member Posts: 4
    '02 3.5 Altima...approx 116K miles. Strange, I moved to AZ from CA & found an increase in MPG during the hot summer months vs. the cold winter months. Was about 26-28 MPG during summer; now in winter at about 23-25 MPG...interesting...but still ok at 116K miles!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Winter grade gasolines are blended with more volatile content for improved cold start capability - but at the cost of lower fuel economy (fewer BTUs per gallon). You're also now probably at a somewhat higher elevation, too. These winter blends are both temperature and region modified for the anticipated temperature changes at given elevations. Expect things to improve next spring when the summer blend gasolines begin shipping again to stations.
  • martymdsermartymdser Member Posts: 1
    I love my SE-R however the MPG could be better. I know it all depends on how you drive and the road conditions however, I can't seem to get away from 20MPG in the City and around 24-26 on long highway drives. I did manage to get 28 on a long trip to Sandusky Ohio.....
  • wheels_r_uswheels_r_us Member Posts: 5
    my 2007 2.5 SL with 570 miles got 27 mixed (50/50 city & freeway) driving.
    I drove like granny though. ;)
  • sushiljksushiljk Member Posts: 2
    i am having problems with the gas mileage on my 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5s. I am getting a highway Mileage of 22 and i already have put on 4000 miles. The dealers said tht the EPA quoted value if far away from the actual mileage. But the answer is not satisfactory because the discreapancy should be 10% here and there. Please let me know if anyone has the same problem.
  • bill_dingbill_ding Member Posts: 6
    How fast are you driving? I've had my 07 Altima for a few weeks and it gets close to the EPA estimate when driving 55mph. But we all know no one drives 55mph on the interstate.

Also, fuel varies between states due to emissions standards and required additives. This as well as elevation can affect mileage.

The EPA is changing their ratings for 2008 to better reflect mileage for present-day driving habits. So basically, cars will be rated as having "worse" fuel efficiency than previous models.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    To those that are interested, fueleconomy.gov has revised the estimates for cars from 1985 to 2007 to reflect the new 2008 estimates. I was hoping to see the 2007 Altima (4 cyl) with better mpg numbers because of the CVT transmission but it looks like it has only increased by 1-1/2 to 2 mpg on average compared to the 05 & 06 models. Check out the link, it's good info.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Nissan&model=Altima
  • sellcarsellcar Member Posts: 21
    I HAVE A NEW 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA WITH 5,500 MILES ON IT NOW. WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR I WAS GETTING 23-29MPG WITH REGULAR GAS 86 OCTANE AND NO PINGING, BUT NOW I AM ONLY GETTING 19-21 MPG CITY/HIGHWAY TOPS ON A 2.5 4L. I TRIED USING DIFFERENT GAS STATIONS BUT NO CHANGE. I ALSO CHECKED THE TIRE AIR PRESSURE TO 32 PSI AND THE AIR FILTER IS CLEAN. I WAS USING 87 OCTANE AND I WAS GETTING A PING, NOW I AM USING 89 OCTANE AND NO PING BUT I AM GETTING THE SAME MPG. I LIVE IN N.Y. USE 70% STREETS AND 30% HIGHWAY AND I DON'T START OUT FAST OR RACE MY CAR. THIS IS WITHOUT THE A/C ON. I ALSO TRADED IN A 2005 HONDA CIVIC EX FOR THIS CAR AND I WAS GETTING 26-30MPG ON IT. THE COST OF FUEL IS GOING UP AND I BOUGHT THIS CAR BECAUSE OF THE LEG ROOM AND BECAUSE IT'S A 4CYL TO SAVE ON FUEL COSTS AND THE WINDOW STICKER SAID YOU CAN GET 26MPG CITY, I DON'T THINK SO! CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME IF THEY HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THER 2007 ALTIMA 2.5 OR WHAT CAN BE DONE TO FIX IT? I LIKE THE CAR, BUT IS IT A LEMON GAS EATER? I TRIED THE NISSAN DEALER BUT NO HELP.
  • donp3donp3 Member Posts: 5
    1. STOP YELLING (all caps = yelling)
    2. 70% streets will kill any cars gas milage. My 1997 Saturn gets 38 driving 230 miles between Cinci and Cleveland. This drops to the mid 20s when I drive 5 miles between work and home through side streets.

Is it fairly recent that you started doing this 70% street / 30% hiway commute? How many miles total? How many minutes does it take to drive these miles?

If I drive 5 miles and it takes me 5 minutes on the freeway, but you drive 5 miles and it takes you 20 minutes (streets, stop lights, etc), your motor ran for 3 times longer than my motor. Wouldn't you think that would use 3 times more gas to keep it running (not really, but you can see where I'm going with this arguement).
  • rps1rps1 Member Posts: 13
    I just traded in my '05 3.5sl and they recommended 29 psi. When I asked the service dept they told me to up it to 35 psi.Mixed driving I got 27-28 MPG, highway 32-33 MPG. Just bought the '07 3.5sl. Recommended 32 PSI,raised it to 35 PSI. Good results. When I told the Nissan salesman the mileage I got on the 05, he said it was close or better than what some were getting with the 2.5. Keep checking your air pressure, plus its all according to how you drive. I think that the 2.5 strains more than the 3.5 = less MPG.
    I JUST CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I WAS GETTING 23-26MPG WITH THE SAME DRIVING I AM DOING NOW AND NOW, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. IT'S SAME WAY I GO TO WORK EVERYDAY AND I AM ONLY GETTING 19-21MPG.
    AND WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR I WAS ABLE TO USE REGULAR GAS WITHOUT ANY PINGING. THATS WHAT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND.
    THANK YOU FOR THE TIRE INFO, I WILL UP THE TIRE PRESSURE TO35PSI AND I WILL POST MY UPDATED GAS MILEAGE AFTER THAT.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Do let us know. And you really do need to post in normal case instead of upper. All caps make posts very difficult to read which means a lot of people will just skip them. Plus, as mentioned, it looks like you are yelling at us, and we really would like to help. :)

Welcome to CarSpace!
    Any one else have an idea what I can try to help get better gas mileage? Please let me know.
  • tent2tttent2tt Member Posts: 46
    2000 Altima 4 cylinder GXE bought new in CA (so has CA emission standards) has 73,000 miles on it, gets between 25-27mpg (I notice it gets better mpg with higher octane)and it really zooms! Have to sell it because it's time to get something that can go off-road and tow 5500lb. travel trailer, but I am going to miss my Altie. Only complaints: could have much better turn radius and higher clearance (who engineers these cars to not be able to park in a parking lot without scraping the underside of the front bumper on the concrete ppark stops)?
    I am now using plus fuel and I am still getting a pinging from the engine. Any answers to that?
    Does anyone else have an answer to this fuel eater? I tried using 35 psi in all the tires and I'm also using 92 higher octane gas. The car still pings and I just checked the fuel mileage and I only getting 20 MPG tops this is for a combo of streets and highway with the A/C OFF. I am driving like I have an egg under my shoe. Does anyone have an answer to this problem? Does anyone think I have an engine problem or something else? Please give me some advise? Thanks!
  • triplesonictriplesonic Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 2005 with the 2.5L and get 29mpg with 25% city and 75% highway driving, 75 mph on the freeway. There is really no reason for your car to be pinging on 92 octane gas, I drive in the Mojave desert in the summer time with the air on without pinging and I pump 87 octane. What brand of gasoline do you use, is it a Tier One gas like Shell or do you use some no name gas or worst, Arco? Just a thought.
    I have used/tried Mobil and Shell Gasoline with the same results. I would never put in a no name Gas. I can't understand why I am having this fuel problem.
  • triplesonictriplesonic Member Posts: 2
    When you took your car to the dealership did the service department checkout the car? Did they plug it into the computer and do a diagnostic engine check? Or did the salesman just blow you off? Pinging and bad gas mileage can be any number of things gone wrong under the hood, like a bad O2 sensor. Normally a engine problem would trigger the check engine light but, we all know how unreliable electronics can be at times. If they haven't checkout the car, I would take it in and have them do a complete engine diagnostic, it's under warranty. If they don't agree, take your complaint to Nissan USA and see if they will help. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    I will have the car rechecked by another dealer. Thanks!
    I'm looking for other 2007 2.5 Altima owners with the same problem. Anybody out there?
    I have the same problem with my car. Did you find an answer to your problem with fuel mileage?
  • townboy325townboy325 Member Posts: 37
    any of your guys having problem like Rattling sound at startup or u can check this out http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new-2007-nissan-altima-discussion/244862-rattling-sound-startup-2-5s.html if u do take your car back to dealer have them upgrade the ECM hope this will help that your pinging
    I have a 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL with the same noise when the car is cold or sitting a while. I replaced the engine oil with Mobile 1 and also added in a bottle of Lucas oil and now the noise is very low when I cold start. I don't know why I have to use any additives to help to remove the noise when the engine is cold.
    Maybe an engine recall coming? Please let me know.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    its not a problem with the engine, it the ecm. It just needs reprogrammed. that is, if you bought your car in california. it may also be whats affecting your gas milage
    I live in NY. Is this the same problem as California cars?
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    do they adhere to california emission standards? If they do, I'd deffinitly ask the dealer about it. there is a known probem with the altima that are built for those standards with cold start up. Nissan has a service bullitan out about it. As I said, the cure is very simple. they just need to update the ecm. check this link that townboy325 put in his post.

link title
  • pseonghopseongho Member Posts: 3
    I got my 2.5 SL about a month ago and go about 650 miles on it so far. I'm driving work about 5 miles locally with lots of stop sign (about 10). I'm getting 20.

sellcar, did you have a dealer to check your engine? I wonder the result.
    My car is now in the dealers repair shop. I will keep an update as new information on this problem comes in.