Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I was just curious what kind of gas mileage people are getting on their 2009 or 2010 Maxima? not too many people with 09 or 10 Max's have commented on their MPG and I was curious if people are using regular or premium gasoline? my nissan dealer told me I had to use premium in the max and that I could only get away with regular if I had the Altima V6
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    My Wifes' 2009 Maxima has been averaging around 21.5 mpg on premium. Her typical day is a 7 mile commute in town with numerous stops and starts. I have almost the same commute with my 2009 Mazda6 V6 and only get around 19.5 mpg. We both drive the same driving style. I actually drive a little more conservative with my car and still can't get any better in town mileage. Oh well.
  • tracguytracguy Member Posts: 28
    I get 22-23 on 30 mile commute half on the expressway and the rest city streets. I get about 27 on highway trips (about 250 miles each way 2/3 of which is mountains)
    It has been very consistent over 10,000 miles I have put on it.
  • sahil908sahil908 Member Posts: 60
    Wow! You guys are getting great MPG. I am from NYC, I drive my car mostly in the city, I have about 1400 miles on the car. I barely get like 16-17 MPG in the city, 21 MPG mixed City and Highway. I never tested all highway MPG. Infact, I didnt really go on any road trips yet. I will keep you guys posted.
  • gd420mjgd420mj Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Maxima SE has 147k miles on it. Avg 31.7 MPG on a recent all highway trip, I locked the cruise control at 60mph the whole way, or as much as possible. Total trip with only about 5% suburban was 498 miles. Filled in 15.7 gallons. (16 gal tank).

Same trip doing 80 almost all the way, probably was about 22-23 mpg.

60 is hard to do these days on the inst 95 btwn NJ and VA. But is sure saves on gas. I wonder if could stretch it more at 55mph, but I'm afraid I am going to get rear ended by a crazy, speeding, trucker! damn they are ruthless...

Still, I think near 32 mpg for a 6 cyl car with near 150k miles on it is pretty good. And those 150k miles have been a extremely varied mix of miles and driving styles. (oil has bout 3k on it at the time).

Now if i get a little 4 cyl jobbie, can i get 50~60,...ohhh.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Great job there gd420. I've often done the same on my 03, in fact I'm pretty sure I've got a post on here from last year when I was making a lot of round trips between Austin TX and Ft. Collins CO.

I don't think you'd do any better at 55, in fact you might not see a drop off if you kicked it up to about 62/63 MPH.

Keep up the good work.
  • gs42gs42 Member Posts: 54
    2009 Maxima. Worst tank 23.2. The car has 9100 miles and is driven carefully. State highways with lower speed limits usually will return over 30 mpg while interstates at 70-75 will be in the 27 range. Best tank 31.2. Got to keep your foot out of it! My driving is largely rural and highway.

The big frontal area pushes a lot of air and affects higher speed mileage, imo. To illustrate...an interstate drive with the wind will do 29 plus and will be in the 26's coming back into it.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited March 2010
    you would not believe what I've just got man the other day playing around with the cruise control! I filled up with Shell Premium and right by the gas station and my house is about a 9 mile stretch of open US highway; so after filling up, I cleared out all the trip computers, avg mpg, etc and went out on this open stretch!

I put the cruise control on the whole 9 miles doing about 60-65mph and I was getting a 37-38mpg reading on my trip screen; when I turned around, I drove the 9 mile stretch back without the cruise control and used a light foot and got 32-33mpg without the cruise on! the trip mpg reading has typically been off by 1 mpg less then what I manually calculate from the trip and pump reading so even if that is the case, the mpg with the cruise is absolutely ridiculous!

apparently, the CVT loves cruise control!!! my avg mpg without using cruise has been 21-22mpg avg so I'm hoping if I start using the cruise control a lot I can improve my avg up to 24 or 25mpg!!! here is to hoping!!!

Here is a tip guys, if you want the best gas mileage out of your 7th Gen Maxima, use the cruise control as much as possible :shades:
  • gs42gs42 Member Posts: 54
    I have seen owners state that they can beat the cruise control mileage. I can't. Just took a 102 mile trip to South Bend, Indiana and got 33.4 on the way up...slight tailwind. State and US highways with a max speed of 60 with some traffic lights and stop signs. I had good luck timing them and a very light foot when accelerating.

Coming back the same route with more traffic and a slight headwind returned "only" 30.5. The cvt is amazing! Those who get bad mileage have a heavy foot.

I got only 25.6 on the last tank of an 850 mile trip last week because the cruise was set at 77 and there was a headwind. These babies push a lot of air.
  • nystarnystar Member Posts: 28
    Hi guys,

Bought new Maxima 2 weeks ago did reset the MPG moremthan once and still getting 12 MPG Avg max !!

Is that normal, the trip computer is not showing more than that" any advise ?

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    I'm disappointed in my Maxima's MPG performance, I'm only getting 18 mpg, the car has 800 miles only, just hoping it will improve in time.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    My 2011 Maxima gets 21 mpg in town. My commute is only about 10 miles and I have several stretches where I go a few miles without having to stop, so it's a pretty easy drive. I used to use Chevron Supreme and I would get right at 20 MPG; but, about 6-8 weeks ago I switched to BP Amoco Ultimate and my mileage has been running about 21.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    18 MPG is in line with the sticker that came on the car. The AC and stop lights will keep you from getting too much. You're using premium unleaded?
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Yeah, premium only, by the way since my last post a few weeks ago my gas mileage has improved to about 20 MPG mixed driving (highway and in town) with the odo. reading lil over 3000 miles but still the car is supposed to average 22-23 according to Nissan.
  • maximasvinrimaximasvinri Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, I have a 2010 Maxima SV. Great car! What other car has 290HP and gets this kind of fuel economy? I average about 23-24MPGs combined real-world driving, mixed heavy city and open highway driving using 93 octane. On long highway trips, using cruise control, I can easily break the 30 MPG mark going 70MPH +/-.. Yes, the trip computer is usually incorrect on MPGs, I would attribute to evaporation. seems the longer the gas is in the tank, the larger the difference between the computer and physical calculations.

One thing I'm wondering is, does the brand of gasoline make a difference? I swear Shell seems to give it more legs?!? The manual says to not use "oxygenated gasoline" like BP's premium "O2" somhting or other.. anyone find a certain brand is better or worse as far as economy/power response?
  • mtpetemtpete Member Posts: 9
    Picked up the car last Friday. Base model with Limited Edition package.

Around town, with a light foot, car returns in the low 20's cruising.

On the interstate, I drove at various steady speeds.

At 62 mph, it was returning a solid 40 mpg at times.

It goes down from there on up.

At 70-75, it was bouncing around 30 mpg.

This was all with the cruise control on.

I'm impressed; the car has less than 300 miles and if this improves with break in, I couldn't be happier.

I think the key to good MPG with this vehicle is to use the cruise control, and to use a light foot. The bar graph indicator for MPG is handy; pay attention to how it moves related to throttle and rpm's.

Will report more information as time goes on.

Great car - they can be had easily for $5k off of sticker right now.
  • ttalkingtonttalkington Member Posts: 1
    Reset your AVG MPG.......it is probably calculating not moving sitting on the dealer lot. It should automatically reset to at least 20mpg if your moving.
  • ziyuluziyulu Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2013
    I have a 2011 Maxima. I use regular gasoline all the time. I can get 23 mpg in mixed driving. 26 on the highway and 20 in town.