Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Hybrid Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Honda
Introduce yourself and get to know other Accord Hybrid owners here!

Comments

• vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Hi Karen S., the Accord Hybrid Host of the Century,

I am Viet, an Accord super enthusiast and a Honda fan for over 40 years. I currently own a HAH 2005 along with other 4 Accord and 1 Civic. I plan to buy a second HAH as soon as my spoiled little son "steals" my current HAH when he enters college. I have been living in a suburb area of San Jose, Northern California for over 20 years. I love to meet other HAH owners soon.
  • cal_calcal_cal Member Posts: 39
    Hi,

I am cal_cal. Just bought my hybrid yesterday (silver) in Cleveland. This car is awesome. Just cant wait to put miles on it.

cal_cal
  • greenisgoodgreenisgood Member Posts: 2
    Hi... Koi here

I am GreenIsGood from CA wine country (North Bay). This is my 2nd Honda Hybrid...first the Civic then the HAH and past Honda/Acura/Toyota owner...
    My daily commute is approx 125 miles/day so the comfort and safety of the Accord vs the Civic was appealing while still getting decent gas mileage over all.
  • s2khahs2khah Member Posts: 26
    Gene Baker here.

Getting "the boss" her HAH this week, to go in the stable with my S2000 and my daughters' 1998 & 2003 civics.

Honda owe us big time!

We live in the Princeton, NJ area and got our unit from the excellent Honda dealership here.

Plan to be towing our kayaks with the HAH and just enjoying this awesome machine. The wife listens to books on tape so not sure how to handle that in the new HAH. The ex-Avalon has both a tape and CD player, and will miss that.

See you later.
    Hi S2khah,

Honda owes me a big time too because I currently own 5 Accord and am planning to buy an extra HAH soon to make six Accord in the row. The HAH is truely is a real piece of machinery. Cant wait any longer.
  • bibeaudbibeaud Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased mine from Phillipsburg Easton Honda in Phillipsburg, NJ.

I chose the Accord Hybrid over the Civic Hybrid because of the traction control feature. I drive 120 miles a day (round trip) to work and wanted decent gas mileage without sacrificing any comforts. I believe that I have found it with the Accord Hybrid.

With only 1000 miles on the vehicle, I am averaging around 30-31 mpg during my commute (approx 65-70+ mph). I hope this gets closer to the theoretical value of 37 mpg highway rating as I break-in the car.

To date, it drives well and I am happy with it.
    My MPG is about same as your MPG. The new Lexus hybrid RX 400 and other American hybrid sedans/ SUVs get no better MPG than the HAH. With the HAH's 255 HP and 232 Lbs-feet torque it is very tough to get the MPG better than 40. But the HAH can do it on long highway trips.

I enjoy very much its acceleration. My current concern is if my young son drives it he may be too excited to cause accident. He very much impresses with my HAH's performance. Sometimes he "steals" it to drive very fast at 80+ MPH. I heard Honda will introduce the HAH's new design in 2008. ENJOY your new HAH my friend.
  • djr3djr3 Member Posts: 22
    I have an order in for the 06 Honda Accord Hybrid. If things go according to schedule I should be an official owner in November.

I waited until the 06 model because:
    1) It has a moonroof
    2) The rear end design appeals to me more
    3) It is available in Red and my wife said that if I was going to have a mid-life crisis getting a sporty red car was much better than getting a mistress...

I will be selling my 2001 Lexus GS300. I love the car and will miss the extraordinary Lexus service, but I really want something that gets better mileage than they offer. I have owned 5 or 6 Hondas in my life and have been happy with all of them.
  • lipitorkidlipitorkid Member Posts: 11
    We were going to buy a Pilot cause I miss driving from an elevated position and we liked the Pilot's extra room, but at the last minute the wife said... let's buy a hybrid. I wasn't too into the idea but after a test drive and seeing that the HAH is not a cheap feeling or looking hybrid I warmed up to the idea. Now that I'm seeing gas prices above $3 and rising- I think she's a genius!

We got the graphite pearl and everyone loves that color. I wanted the 2005 because moonroofs always take away head room and at only 6 foot 1 I graze my head on my wife's EX civic all the time.

I really like the XM radio and can't believe I lived without it for this long. This car is soooo quiet and drives really smoothly.

Three gripes:
    1. Why don't the doors automatically lock when you take the car out of park?
    2. You can't creep up slowly on a light. The auto stop is really sensitive and it engages almost immediately so you have to just pick a spot behind a car and stay there until the light turns green... no more rolling starts trying to guess the green.
    3. I wish that the green autostop display wouldn't blink when the car is stopped. It should just stay lit.

We live in southern california and really enjoy the autoroll down windows with the remote on our hot august days.
  • minivanmama1minivanmama1 Member Posts: 28
    What makes you certain the 06 version will have a moonroof? I was looking at the 05 HAH and the salesman told me that the 06 would not change on the lack of moonroof.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    He was trying to sell you the '05 :)

2006 Accord specifications:

EX V-6
    (Adds to or replaces LX V-6 features)
    • Leather-trimmed interior
    • Heated front seats
    • Power moonroof with tilt feature• Dual-zone automatic climate control system
    • XM® Satellite Radio
    • HomeLink® remote system
    • Available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition

$27,300.00
    Automatic Transmission
    CM6656JNW

EX V-6 6-Speed
    (Adds to or replaces EX V-6 features)
    • Close-Ratio 6-spd Manual Transmission
    • Carbon Fiber-Look Interior Accents
    • 180-Watt AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash CD Premium Audio System
    • Exclusive 17-Inch Alloy Wheels

$27,300.00
    6-spd Manual Transmission
    CM6556JNW

Hybrid
    (Adds to or replaces EX V-6 features)
    • 253-hp, 3.0-liter VTEC® V-6 engine with Integrated Motor Assist (IMA)
    • Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)
    • Compact 5-Speed Automatic Transmission
    • Dual-Zone Hybrid Automatic Climate Control System
    • Exclusive Front Chin Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Rear Spoiler and Taillights
    • Aerodynamic 16-Inch Alloy Wheels
    • Side Mirror Turn Indicators
    • Exclusive IMA Charge/Assist Display
    • Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle Emissions Rating

$
    Automatic Transmission
    CN3646JNW

Destination and Handling $550
    Pricing Effective 8/25/05
  • djr3djr3 Member Posts: 22
    I have the 06 Accord Brochure and it is listed. I believe that's where the other responder got their info. It does change the headroom. I'd have to look again but I think it was 1.5 or so inches less in the 06.

Dan
  • tpftpf Member Posts: 7
    Traded my 2000 Insight for an Accord Hybrid in July. The Insight was wonderful, dependable, and frugal (55 mgp after 60K) but uncomfortable, bad in inclement weather and scary around big trucks on the NJ Turnpike. The HAH is very comfortable, fast, and efficient. Frequent business trips don't seem as long and my posture restores quickly, rather than the next day with the Insight. The HAH feels indulgent after nearly 5 years of Spartan economy. The stereo is very good and quietly skipping along with CD, FM, XM, and AM is great. XM has become a standard at home and now on the highway.

I look forward to switching to synthetic oil around 5K. Rated fuel economy has increased progressively. My Insight driving experience assists with maximum economoy with the HAH. The Insight was very sensistive to tire psi as reflected in mpg very quickly.

Comments welcome
    I purchased a HAH with NAV today from Bankston Honda in Lewisville, TX (close to Dallas/ Fort Worth). Since my experience is only a few hours old, I don't have much to report as yet. I look forward to hearing from other Hybrid owners for mileage tricks, issues, etc. The HAH will replace my '93 Toyota Previa for daily commuting (about 30 miles one way- 70% highway, the rest city). After looking at anything from Acuras to Lexus Hybrid, the Accord Hybrid made the most sense in terms of value, commuting patterns, and amenities. I could have waited for an 06 for the amenities of moonroof, etc. but given the fantastic discounting at the end of the model year, I could not justify going MSRP for an 06. Detail of my deal are on the HAH board for prices paid, posts 33 and 34.
    Look forward to talking to other HAH owners over the coming months.
    Congratulations on your brand-new HAH Big Mama ! You should have enjoyed its eery smoothness and impressive acceleration by now.
  • lipitorkidlipitorkid Member Posts: 11
    I remember reading somewhere that there was a special way to drive a Prius during break-in to maximize mpg. Is there something similar to how we should be driving the HAH during the break in period?

Also, while we were sitting at a light I couldn't help but think that the LCD read-out on the dash regarding mpg will always be a little off compared to computing it yourself on a traditional car. We live in southern california and spend a ton of time at stop lights and stopped in traffic. We have to be saving a ton of gas that we don't spend now while in the engine stop mode while others are idling. Yet that isn't really reflecting in the mpg read-out because that just measures moving time, not total driving time.

Also, does anyone know how the computer figures out mpg- does it change every mile or every 5 or 10 miles or every 5 or 10 minutes?
  • bar10dahbar10dah Member Posts: 4
    I'm Keith. Owned the HAH for slightly over a month. I have over 2K miles and normally see 27 city and 38 highway. I live on the western side of Phoenix.
    The more I drive my HAH (6,300 miles now after 9 months) the more I love it. I always get 30.5 - 38+ MPG while my little son gets only 22 - 24 mixed MPG on my HAH. The MPG dilemma is the drivers, not the fabulous HAH. Those kids literally kill the MPG. That's why I am now paying astronomically for my auto insurance to cover them.

The HAH is quite a piece of fantastic machinery. I cannot find a better word to express my great satisfaction. My big hugs and appreciation to Honda management and smart engineers. They make my days happy after long days seeing my boss' ugly face..
  • taleztalez Member Posts: 1
    Too bad the back seats for the hybrids models of accord and civic can't be fold down. The prius still appears to be the best choice given the mpg rating and more practical.
  • jaxflygirljaxflygirl Member Posts: 25
    HI! I'm Jill from Jacksonville, FL.
    I just bought a 2005 accord hybrid. traded in a 2004 nissan maxima (fully loaded). The relationship w/ my maxima was a love/hate one. I loved the looks of it and all the gadgets but it had a terrible turning radius, bad suspension and not so good gas mileage. The accord is much easier to drive and see out of, and most of all, PARK. It turns on a dime! I love the satellite radio although the stereo system is not nearly as good as the bose system my maxima had! Two concerns I have about this accord: (1) NO SPARE TIRE...does anyone else have a problem w/ this fix a flat kit? and (2) was disappointed that I had to pay extra for the compas/auto dimming rear view mirror ($332). I feel that should have been a standard feature on a $30,000 car! I went to a used tire dealer and purchased a rim/full size spare tire for the trunk but now I hear that the weight of that tire in the truck will affect my gas mileage which is one of the main reasons I bought this car. Any suggestions? So, for now I just have it in my garage, guess if I have a total blow out I'll have the car towed. What kind of mileage are other owners experiencing? So far, the highest number on my digital read out has been 32mpg and that's a mixture of highway/city WITH A/C.
    Thanks! :blush:
  • s2khahs2khah Member Posts: 26
    Jill,
    Don't worry about the loss of fuel mileage. It will be not noticeable. If you remove the compressor and its plastic housing (or not) and put the tire in the car it will not be any more than having a suitcase in the trunk or a case or two of beer(he!He!).
    You will get better mileage once you get a handle for driving the car easily and only kicking in the 255 HP when you need it. Just keep in mind to use gentle acceleration and little movement on the gas pedal unless you are doing something that requires power.
    Keep an eye on the "ECO" green light on the speedometer. The more you can keep that ECO light the more you will improve your mpg's. The ECO light is on when the engine is in the 3 cylinder mode of operation (instead of 6) and is the key to getting the mpg's up there.
    Good luck and we love our HAH.
    thanks for the info!! Happy hybrid driving!!! :)
  • carcat1carcat1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Accord Hybrid and had the same feelings about not having a spare tire. I found that a full size spare would NOT fit into the tire well with enough room to close the floorboard cover. I purchased a Mini-spare tire and rim from my dealer (not available at tire stores) for $151.00. The 05 Canadian Accord Hybrid comes with the Mini-spare included. There is a foam cover for the mini-spare that Honda sells for $60.00 that is needed to support the floorboard cover. I used a piece of 1/2" plywood to cover the spare and support the floorboard cover. Works just fine. The inner rim area of the mini spare is used for the jack assembly. You also need to order a bolt and an adapter to hold down the mini-spare ($8.50) . I also have a can of pressurized fix-a flat in place of the tire pump.
    I have the silver frost. I must say I am disappointed in my decision to go w/ silver instead of my USUAL boring WHITE. My last 3 cars have been white (living in FL, need light color for the heat). I decided to go silver for a change but the Silver Frost color on my new HAH sometimes looks blue in the sun and I don't like blue cars. Wondering what the most popular color for HAH's are. anyone want to trade white for my silver?? LOL just kidding...i'll get used to it... OTHERWISE, I love this car. very smooth ride and more fun to drive than my last 2004 maxima. love the MPG and feel like I am doing my part to help the environment. (i'll probably upgrade in 2 years to the newer HAH with sunroof and get a white one!!) :)
  • paulf01paulf01 Member Posts: 1
    I traded in my Escalade ESV and CTS-V for two Honda Accords 1 HAH and 1 EX 4 Banger. I was just sick and tired of fuel prices between myself and the wife over $1000 a month in fuel. I drove the HAH I actually enjoy driving and seeing what I can get for MPG. I am getting 27 mpg 60 miles per day 1/2 city other half HW. Also anyone out there that cares I had the HAH at 132 est mph had to slow down curve.
  • cal_calcal_cal Member Posts: 39
    Mine is silver frost too. Bought it for the blue tinge it has, subtly different from regular silver.
  • greatvet1greatvet1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a white HAH that I bought in early October. White and silver are my favorites being in south Texas, for the same reasons that they are yours. Just too hot for anything else around here. I love the silver frost look, but I bought my HAH on an impulse. Just saw it sitting on the lot when I went to get my 2002 EX V6 serviced, and got a great trade-in for my old car. Plus, it was one of the two right colors. I'd take you up on your offer to trade colors, but I have really become attached to the maple and tan console and my paint looks incredible with the 5-star shine I just put on it! (That's a paint protection I got off the internet and hired someone to detail my car with, bugs and bird stuff just wash right off)

I LOVE driving this car, and the body style is getting sexier every day I see it. This is the perfect car for me, someone who has to drive 50 miles each way to work, has a lead foot and loves performance, comfort and luxury!
    Hi! Wish they had a white one at the time I bought mine. I do like the gray and silver interior on the silver frost model though. Still just don't like the silver frost color. I'm thinking about trading up when the 2006's come out to get a pearl white one and sunroof! The car really is fun to drive and very smooth. I have been averaging 32 mpg total. My drive to work is 35 miles one way, which I do about 16 days a month. Most is highway. I now have 4000 miles on mine! Happy New Year!! :blush:
  • desidriverdesidriver Member Posts: 2
    Folks,

I bought the 05 Accord Hybrid for $25K on 01/01/06. It is a very good deal but I am only getting 20mpg max. I currently have around 500 miles. Will this mileage ever go up
  • desidriverdesidriver Member Posts: 2
    Wow!!! :blush: :surprise: I think my driving is not as good. I am only getting around 20mpg. Also the "AUTO STOP" function is pretty annoying. The stoping and starting gets jerky due to this Auto stop. Can some body tell me how the mpg is calculated. Also how to improve the mpg
    Hi Desidriver:

Does your Accord Hybrid have NAVI, extended warranty and some other extra accessories? How much is out-the-door price? What state are you in? Thanks.

The MGP should be 29 mixed - 37 highway as the EPA rating. In the winter MPG is a bit lower due to required extra substance in fuel. MPG also depends on your driving style. Kids usually get very low MPG (22 - 25).
    HI PHX. Well, my mileage MPG's got better after my first 2,000 miles or so I put on the car. You have to try not to accelerate fast and keep the ECO light on as much as possible to get better mileage. there's more info on how to get better mileage on the other forum, hybrid real numbers....I can get around 39 on highway, 32 on city driving. Not bad for a V-6.
    On another post about how to get good MPG, their advice was to act like there is an egg between your foot and the pedal.. seems to help. Good luck!!
    That was my "egg advive" jaxflygirl. You do "egg tatics" better than me now.
    Long live "Eggy tricks". Long live Queen Jaxflygirl, Mistress of "Eggy Gang", The One and Only.
  • dandman1dandman1 Member Posts: 12
    hi
    new member, names dan
    thinking of getting a HAH after hearing about all the incentives )$3k cdn off from honda)+ ($1k from gvt) so it works out less than ex v6
    also glad 06 has sunroof, im going this week to see what i can get for my 03 mini cooper s(18 k km) (great car) but im thinking of something bigger

glad to mett you all, ive read every post you have, im very excited, hope to be a reg member soon!
    bye
    dan
    mississauga, ontario, canada
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum Dan. Do they have the 2006 HAH in Canada yet? Sounds like they are held up from the US market for a couple more months. Let us know how you like the car when you get it.
  • dandman1dandman1 Member Posts: 12
    hi
    well the salesman said i can go for a test drive next week, so i hope they have one!
    dan
    Hi everybody....What do y'all think about the new 07 hybrid camry that's coming out? From the pictures I've seen, I think I like it better than my 05 HAH, especially the interior. Major plus is the high horsepower 4 cyl. with the awesome mileage they are posting. may have to trade...won't know until I actually drive one...They aren't due in until late march. :confuse:
    If I were Jaxflygirl I would not trade it in for the Camry hybrid for the following reasons:

- HAH's power is greater than he Camry hybrid.
    - Camry hybrid quality has not been proven.
    - Honda has much more experience in hybrid technology.
    - I will buy a HAH '06.
    - The '06 regular Camry was given 6/ 10 by MSN's male auto critic while the female critic gave it 9.5/ 10.
    - It's true that the 3,800 lbs HAH hybrid is so light like a feather which flies on the road.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    would love to hear from you HAH owners.

I am considering one, comparing it against the Camry Hybrid, but I want real world info!!!
  • imdragonslayerimdragonslayer Member Posts: 4
    Hi all my partner and I just got a 2007 HAH in pearl white. He is selling his 99 Forester. We took our first long road trip this weekend and were very pleased with the power, comfort and mpg's, we were getting 28.8 mpg's at one point. My primary vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline. Too bad it did not come in a hybrid, but I love it anyway. The speed of the HAH is impressive. The only thing I did not like was a strumming noise with the moonroof in tilt position, that does not happen with my ridgeline. It has the same swooping sound that my ridgeline has with the rear windows open and cracking one of the front windows or the moonroof solves. Other than that , I love the car so far . Oh , I am imdragonslayer. aka Martin.
  • kenebaughkenebaugh Member Posts: 2
    :shades: Just purchased 2007 HAH with 3,305 on the ticker. Drove it from one end of the state to the other, and then back to the center within 24 hours. First 200 miles, I rarely went over 55 - 60 MPH and averaged 36.8 MPG in hilly terrain.

The next 250 miles were spent around 70 - 75 MPH and the average declined to 33.3 MPG. This included a little horsing around while relatives tossed the car around a few sharp bends. I'm still running on that first tank of gasoline!

Power, handling and performance were the reasons I purchased this vehicle. The additional MPG are a welcome bonus. I will be happy if I average 25 MPG overall. That will be a 25% improvement over my previous vehicle [Buick GS, supercharger, 240 HP].

Stay tuned. As I gain more knowledge of my new ride, I'll offer comparisons to my old Buick, may she rest in pieces. :sick:
  • jayngeejayngee Member Posts: 17
    I just thought I'd share a recent experience. I was called a few weeks ago by a company doing a survey on hybrid cars. I'm not sure where they got my name from, but at the end I was invited to take part in a group discussion that included other hybrid car owners- we ended up being a marketing test group for the new lexus hybrid coming out next year. The group was made up of accord and camry hybrid owners and two facts were obvious. One is that the camry owners LOVED their car- raves about gas mileage and general satistifaction- even from previous lexus owners with much lower expectations. Those of us who owned accords all wished we could fix at least one thing (I wanted a spare tire) in addition to the disappointing MPH in city driving. Now I could add Honda's engineering dept. that has not addressed the VCM vibration/lurching problem that is obviously not my imagination. The camry never did suit me for looks, and frankly has gotten too big. Maybe good for some, but I really do like the way my 05 Accord was styled. It is elegant and handles pretty well. The new lexus was way too flashy- looks like the new BMWs and smaller Mercedes- and very expensive. I've always had my cars for at least 10 years- and I hope this car doesn't become the first that needs to be traded in. :(
  • jayngeejayngee Member Posts: 17
    As posted previously, I have an 05 HAH which I really do think is a great car. I drive over 600 miles a week and get to know my cars pretty well- especially since my last two cars stayed with me approx. 10 years. I was told that my discussion of "vibration" was not appropriate on the regular Accord forum. I have not heard it mentioned here. does anyone experience a strange vibration- noticable driving on flat highway type surfaces and recurring both on acceleration and deceleration at multiple points (15, 35, 55mph)?

another question: in attempting to "fix" the problem above that Honda Service claims to know nothing about, I changed my tires. I bought good tires, but apparently not the right tires since my avg gas mileage has decreased significantly (from 28 to 22). I used the opportunity to have one old tire mounted and put in the trunk since two flat tires have convinced me that without a spare you will find yourself in this situation at the worst time, with the worst weather and without any options when offered the most expensive tire available by the local service station where you've been towed. has anyone experienced a significant change in MPG by changing tires and/or putting a spare in the trunk? Previously it was possible to maintain a higher MPG with a car full of adults, so the weight of a spare tire should not be at fault. I've been offered the opportunity to return for the "better" tires which were not originally offered due to the price, which will be $100 MORE PER TIRE (total $250 each) which I really wouldn't consider except for the 35-60 miles per tank I've lost- driving 600 miles per week this will soon be a net loss. :confuse:

feedback would be appreciated.
  • emmy6emmy6 Member Posts: 4
    I love this car!!! I've had it for 4 months now. smooth ride, peppy get up and go, and, although the gas mileage could be better for a hybrid, i average 26 mpg mixed in town/ hwy and have gotten up to 37 mpg - hwy (cruise control @ 70 mph). That's not too shabby considering I constantly run my a/c. ;)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with hybrid owners who have had to replace the hybrid's battery. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Friday, May 16, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
  • kenebaughkenebaugh Member Posts: 2
    To Viet - the power for acceleration is one reason I bought my HAH. I like to GO===>>>. The fact that I can do so [occasionally] and still maintain a 10 MPG increase on average over my old Buick Regal GS makes the purchase worthwhile.

But I have to disagree with you on the Toyota Vs. Honda technology - Toyota has the cutting edge technology, while Honda is using technology that is now two generations behind the leaders. Toyota concentrates on full integration with maximum mileage with [barely ?] adequate performance; while Honda concentrates on keeping full performance, but adding many MPG in the process. Toyota has sold more hybrid vehicles than all other makes added together. I hope you bought and are enjoying your HAH as much as I enjoy mine.

To Karen S. - Not enough miles and usage yet to have needed an "h"-battery [or normal one for that matter] replacement, sorry, but glad!

To JNG [jayngee] - Tires can make a big difference!!! My '07 HAH came with Michelin Energy MXV4 215X60-16 shoes - a relatively low rolling resistance tire = higher MPG tire, also longer wearing. That also implies somewhat lower traction than more aggressive tread and rubber designs. I have to be careful that I tiptoe around in the wet compared to my old Buick. It was shod with B.F. Goodrich Radial TA's in the 225X60-16 size and could charge through wet curves and stop almost as well on wet as on dry. Not so with these Michelins.

When I removed the original Goodyear rubber on my Buick and replaced with the B.F. Goodrich tires, the handling improved markedly - especially in the wet, the ride quality decreased slightly - noise was up a little and vibration was a little worse; but most importantly, my average mileage decreased about 2 MPG. Finally, they only lasted 40,000 miles rather than the 60,000+ for the Goodyears. Tires are a compromise, you pay your money and take your pick. Do some research at 1010tires.com, ConsumerGuide,com or other such vendors - before you spend that extra $400. Match the tires to your real driving needs. :confuse:

Oh, you didn't indicate, but if you changed tire size and bought "bigger" tires, your mileage will "appear" to get worse just because of the larger tire circumferance. Your odometer will register fewer miles, even though you traveled the same distance. Wider tires would decrease your mileage just because of the increased wind and rolling resistance - even if everything else remained the same.

To All - CNET.com has several good articles on hybrid/green vehicles. HAH is not included since they were discussing 2008 models, but you might enjoy reading these anyway.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-11443_7-6620819.html?tag=feat.1
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4326-10863_7-6620340.html?tag=ss_rcnt
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10863_7-6867794-2.html?tag=bnav

=========================================================

Now for my update. I have just over 10K on the clock and my average MPG according to the second trip meter [I have never reset this one since purchase] is an indicated 28.4 MPG. I have recorded a high of 38.7 MPG on one tank of fuel used on a trip [65 MPH cruise control speed]. That is just 6 MPG short of a Prius! My manual calculations are very close to the values given by the car's electronics. Much closer than my old Buick.

I cannot push this car as hard as I did my Buick because the tires are not as grippy. I get very early tire squeal going around even moderate corners. In the wet, it gets "loose" early. There is also lots of wheel spin turning uphill from a stop. I am running 35 PSI, cold. The car does not oversteer as badly after I increased the tire pressure. Steering seems to "hunt" for straight-ahead on the highway and tends to wander. This is probably indicative of little or no toe-in for better mileage. Even though the HAH has more total horsepower, and 5 forward speeds instead of 4; it is not as fast or responsive as my old Buick. HAH takes a while to wind-up and get going. But, it rides much smoother.

I had WallyWorld change the oil and lube any joints. I used full synthetic. Over time, I hope that makes a difference. I have never used full synthetic before, but then I never spent this much on a car before, either. I taped the receipts inside my maintenance booklet. I rotated the tires myself. Dealer can stuff their $180.00 scheduled maintenance package. I'll wait until 25,000 before I do that number.

This is not a "perfect" car. The moonroof has excessive wind noise when fully closed. Makes me think the passenger side window is not rolled all the way up. The cruise control takes a moment to fully engage and the speed drops, then the car accelerates quickly to get it back. I have learned to just keep my foot on the pedal until I "feel" cruise fully engage.

There is no auto-dimming of rear-view mirrors. The manual interior mirror is not really a big deal, but I miss the dimming of the exterior mirrors - especially with that semi- sitting on my rear bumper. There is no GPS locator [OnStar] unless that happens to be part of the NAV package which I do not have.

The ECO light is really inadequate by itself, even with the charge bars on both sides. There should be an "instantaneous" MPG meter to supplement the ECO light, so we will know how close we are to losing ECO. Battery charging/using meter display lights are not always functional. It appears that they "forget" to display at times.

The stereo is the pits - or at least the speakers are! Unpleasant Boom-Box bass at one level and if you decrease volume just a click or two, you cannot hear bass at all. It needs a loudness compensation circuit. I took a peek at the rear speakers and the magnets are smaller than an old Victrola entertainment center gathering dust and spiders in my basement. No wonder they tend to BOOM. As soon as I figure out how to get the grills off, they will be replaced with speakers with more controlled cone excursion.

Windshield curvature makes it hard for the wiper to keep it dry. I replaced the factory units with Michelin blades and the same places are not wiped well. Driver's side blade is too long or needs more downforce [stiffer spring?] to keep it in continuous contact with glass.

The body panels seem to have shifted with age - just like mine. There is now a big gap at the front edge of driver's door; and the rear edge of the front fender panel "bows" out to make the gap appear even bigger. And no, it has not been hit anywhere! The passenger's side is still as "tight" as it was the day I purchased.

The trunk does not visually align with body, but it is not leaking anywhere. And for us tall drivers who must push their seat back, the front "A" piller really blocks your vision to the left. It makes a big "blind spot" you have to crane your neck to look around when you are curving to the left or there is traff
    I have a 2005 HAH with 57,000 miles on it. Original tires that are getting very close to replacement. Have any of you replaced your original equipment tires? Comments, recommendations, dislikes, anyone?
  • emmy6emmy6 Member Posts: 4
    Mine also came with the standard mirror and I was spoiled with the auto dim mirror from my Camry. I found that the standard mirror has a limited viewing plus the compass really helps when turned around on an unfamilar road so I had my local dealership install an auto dim for about $275. Took less than 2 hours to install and worth every penny.
This discussion has been closed.