Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Accessories

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited April 2014 in Ford
Discuss Freestyle accessories here.

Comments

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I found a good web site for accessories, www.autowebaccessories.com.They have all the available Genuine Ford accessories at pretty good prices. I saved $18.21 on rubber floor mats and a locking gas cap. No taxes you know. It's not a lot, but a buck is a buck. If anyone out there finds molded splash guards for the Freestyle let the forum know. It looks like Ford isn't going to make them available.
  • manewmanew Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble finding trailer hitches for a Ford Freestyle. Any experiences?
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Both Drawtite and HiddenHitch make hitches with 2" receivers for the Freestyle. The Drawtite model # 75299 has to be special ordered by the dealer or yourself since it is brand new. They also make a 1 1/4" receiver, model # 36360 which is more readily available. Somebody else has posted the Hidden Hitch model # in the general Freestyle Edmunds forum so you can get it there if you are interested. It is also brand new. and has to be special ordered.
  • yardbird54yardbird54 Member Posts: 6
    Appears Ford doesn't offer protective door moldings for the Freestyle. Why is beyond me. Has anyone had a body shop paint and install generics? Really concerned about those parking lot dings that are bound to happen.
    Thanks
  • fallonfallon Member Posts: 1
    I know the Freestyle isn't exactly an SUV,but I would like to dress the front end up a bit,I was thinking of a small bull bar ,maybe also adding some lighting ,to give it tha Rally look .I checked around for a product that might fit ,but no luck so far,am I just wasting my time ??
  • magdadmagdad Member Posts: 21
    Hi folks - I bought my Freestar FWD SEL two weeks ago and am loving it. Here's a question, though - I am preparing to put a hitch on it and I noticed a bizarre looking wiring plug on the passenger side of the spare tire well. Do any of you know if this is a plug for trailer wires? I found a Hoppy style T connector that is supposed to give me a 4 way flat with one connection on the taillight, but I'd prefer to use what the manufacturer intended if this is indeed a trailer connection. The plug is like nothing I've ever seen, though. Any thoughts?
    I believe the Ford supplied connector is hanging on a bracket on the passenger side rear wheel well or bumper area. When they installed my hitch they tried to use it, but apparently didn't have anything that would connect to it. You might have the get the wiring harness from a Ford dealer to fit it. At any rate it was accessed from underneath the car, not inside the trunk.
  • becca55becca55 Member Posts: 2
    Got a Freestyle SEL last month and am really unhappy with the audio equipment. The sound is very tinny and there are no adjustments for bass etc. Has anyone upgraded the system? I'd like to but don't know where to go. I'm not a real audiophile but I need better sound!
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Have you checked the manual? Base and Treble can be adjusted on all FS radios to the best of my knowledge, just use the Menu button to get to them.
    There are definitly bass/treble adjustments - my wife gripes whenever I turn up the bass and I have to remember to lower it. While you are listening to something, hit the menu button until the bass or treble adjustment comes up, then use the seek or the up/down arrows to the right of the CD slot to adjust the level. Granted I have the Audiphile unit with the MP3 player so yours might be different............ :confuse:
  • hossbudhossbud Member Posts: 1
    :D We are looking to purchase a rubber cargo liner. Has anyone bought one? If so, what kind was it and what do you think of it?

Thanks

bud
  • vicki12369vicki12369 Member Posts: 1
    hi .... i was wondering if anyone has purchased seat covers? I am having a hard time finding ones for the back seat 40/60 split) and rear seat.. thank you vicki
  • jrtexasjrtexas Member Posts: 13
    Hi Bud, try this site: http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_fm.aspx?p_id=1467&se=husky_cargo_liners_trunk- _liner

I bought the Husky liner - it fits snugly with the 3rd row seats down. It's molded to fit and easy to clean. Cost is $69.95 including delivery.

Jim
    I installed the draw tite 1 1/4" Class II hitch this weekend (P/N 36360) myself and, all things being equal, it was a snap! I had a buddy over and we knocked it out in a leisurely hour. If any of you are thinking of doing this, I'd recommend the following:
    1) Get some air tools. You can't beat an impact wrench when 92 ft lbs of torque are required. Also, the cutoff of the exhaust bracket piece would have been incredibly hard to do with a hacksaw, but the air cutoff tool was very handy (be sure to grind and paint the exposed end after you make the cut).
    2) Have a little patience with the fishwire. I gave up on putting a hitch on my '01 Windstar because of the difficulty of fishwiring. With this one, a little brainstorming showed us that doing it "backwards" is a lot easier (meaning put the wire through the frame, then screw the bolt into it and pull it back through).

Also, Draw Tite makes a T connector wiring harness with a flat four plug that I very easily installed (18359). All I did was remove the rear well trim and pull the sides out enough to get my hand in. The female T connectors go in between the taillight and the taillight wires on each side and this was very very easy to do. Drilling the hole for the groundwire hurt my heart, even if it was going into metal that didn't show.

U Haul wanted $200 for the hitch and installation, not counting wiring. I got the hitch receiver, draw bar, ball, hardware and T connector for $130 on the internet including shipping. Looks like I'm worth $70 an hour, folks. More, if you count me doing my own wiring in 10 minutes.

I'll be happy to shoot more detailed instructions to anyone thinking of doing it themselves. I found the whole project to be quite enjoyable. :D

I bought my hitch and accessories from here and it was on my porch in two days -
    link title
  • mfranchimfranchi Member Posts: 2
    I checked the wiring connector on the right rear. It is not lighting. Possibly for awd models? or back up alarm? I used a manufactured loom adapter (about $15) for my trailer loom lighting, attached behind the tailights.
    Hmmmm....sounds like your adapter might be bad. Do you have a reverse sensing system? Maybe that is the problem. Is it that the trailer lights don't work or the passenger side tailight itself?
  • mfranchimfranchi Member Posts: 2
    Adapter works great, trailer lights work fine, was easy to hook up. I referred to the open connector on the right underside of the vehicle. It is not lighting. I stated might be back up alarm, a common term for reverse sensing system. Thanks anyway.
  • indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    Just a clarification on the Ford 500 body side moldings.

They can be had with and without chrome. The Limited's molding has no chrome. I'm not sure if it's the SE or SEL model that has the chrome.
    Oh, I understand now! I wondered what that connector was myself - it didn't like any plug I could find on the internet.
  • c5barbc5barb Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching locally and on the web for sun shades for my '05 Freestyle SEL, but none seem to fit, and I don't want to pay $75 for an accordian pleated sun shade that is permanently mounted on each side of the front window, with each side pulling towards the other and closing in the center of the window. Has anyone found a sun shade that fits and folds up into a circle or some other type of "compact" stow-away?
  • scotts1512scotts1512 Member Posts: 4
    Have not yet purchased new sun shades for our freestyle, however, I do have a recommendation. A friend in the desert southwest suggested a pop-open set of shades for my last car (He should know). Got them at K-mart for about 10-15 bucks. Work great. Came in different rough sizes (compact, mid-sized, SUV, etc). I am guessing the SUV size is your best bet - and mine as I have to go make the same purchase. Having used these in our previous vehicles - they are great. Easy to fold (once you get a knack for it) and slide easily between or under the seats for storage. I am amazed that people still let their cars - dash, steering wheel, front seats) bake in summer heat when such a simple, cheap, convenient solution exists. Good luck
    If you haven't already found the posts on the Ford Freestyle (SUVs) forum - the one with 4000+ posts - read post #s 3714, 3721, and 3724 regarding one solution to the body side molding question. That's my vehicle and I happen to like the way the installation turned out.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    Costco has a fold up window shade that is silver reflective for $6.93 + tax, jumbo size, fits our Limited well, folds to a compact size that will allow it to store in the pocket behind the front seat, andcomes with 2 additional side window shades that are a bit too small for any real benefit, but still for the money it works great and is definitely alot cheaper than the $75 option...get there soon though as their stocking of different items is seasonal.
  • dzdncnfzddzdncnfzd Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone know of an accessory to cover the storage area behind the third row? I would like for items that I have stored in the back to not be visible from the outside. Most SUV's have some sort of a retractable tarp.
    With the 3rd row seats up it is very difficult to see anything stored behind the seats in the well. I keep an old blanket in the back of the Freestyle to use as a cover, protective mat or emergency blanket in winter. It works prety well for all of the above. I can't remember if there is anyplace to hook up a retractible cover.
    Thanks the blanket is a good idea. One thing I like about the SUV retractable type tarp is that it also provides some protection against items in the storage area from becoming projectiles during an accident, especially a roll-over.
  • brix11brix11 Member Posts: 2
    Did you vehicle come with some sort of cargo net? Our salesman showed us a blue package tucked in the back and said that was it. When we opened it a couple of weeks later, we discovered that it contained rubber inserts for the cupholders and cargo niches.
    My limited came with a cargo net that goes accross the back tailgate opening a little over 12" high. I have not found any blue package or cupholder inserts, however. I'll look in the spare tire compartment.
  • heddenhedden Member Posts: 28
    The cargo net only comes with the Limited model.
  • manasotamanasota Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone purchased a dashboard mat to reduce the glare?
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    Anyone tinted you windows?
    I too am interested in tinting the windows. :shades: Every Mini-Van and Sport utility out there have the windows tinted from the back doors back. Not sure why Ford decided not to do it on the Freestyle.

Does the dealer do tinting? It would probably be more expensive but I would like to be sure that the tint matched the other factory tinted windows. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    Dealers generally contract tinting work out to local shops and then add on their markup. You'd be better off just going to a reputable local tint shop and telling them what you want.
    I had my windows tinted and also put a strip on the top of the windshield to try to reduce windshiled glare. Total cost was $150 by an auto detail shop in NC. The second row windows were tinted to match the back windows and drivers windows were tinted with 40% film to ensure compliance with NC laws that have a maximum of 35% on front windows. It looks really nice. Not sure the windshield strip did much good to reduce windshiled glare, but it will help with sun heating. Also, tinting the front windows actually increased glare (pebble interior) under cloudy conditions when you look out side mirrors. The chrome-trimmed vents are more visible when using the side mirrors. All in all I'm happy with the tint and recommend it for hot, sunny climates and to improve overall look of the Freestyle. Doesn't do anything to decrease windshiled glare, though.
    Thanks! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. If anyone has any recommendations of reputable tint shops in the Chicagoland area (prefer south burbs) I would be interested to know the names.
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for all the message, really help. If anyone can suggest some good shop for the tint work in Great boston area? ;)
  • rgngrgng Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone installed a Yakima or Thule rack system? Which support brackets and cross bars did you use? I have some concerns that since the luggage racks are painted to match the car that over time the rack system will rub off the paint. Thanks.
  • jethrojacksonjethrojackson Member Posts: 33
    Was just reading about Kleen Wheels Dust Shields at http://www.kleenwheels.com/ and the product seems to be just the solution for the brake dust some folks have been experiencing with the Freestyle. Has anyone tried this product yet? They even address the extra heat issue that some folks say is caused by adding such a brake dust shield. I e-mailed the company to inquire if they have a product for the 18" wheels on the Limited and they said to check back again in 3 weeks.

Jethro
    I don't know about the dust shields but ceramic brake pads seem to work wonders. I replaced my semi-metallic brake pads on my Dodge Stratus with ceramics and now there is virtually no brake dust. Although I haven't seen the shields, I would bet that you can see them through the rims of the vehicle which would take away from the aesthetics of the Freestyle. By changing the brake pads you lose the break dust and don't lose the clean factory look.

My 2 cents.
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    Anything that reduces air flow to the brakes on a vehicle of this size and weight cannot be a good thing. Ford did not consider them when designing the vehicle and therefore any mods to this area would be a significant compromise. I would swap brake pads from another manufacturer before ever using a product like that. Vanity is one thing, the safety of you and your family is not worth it in my estimation... just my 2 cents
  • brandy1909brandy1909 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I found another site you might want to try. It's www.driving comfort.com. Now, I haven't checked the one you spoke about so I am not sure about the pricing. Just thought I would let you know about this site too. I am stopping by my dealer's this morning to pick up an accessory book for my new car.... but before I buy anything I always do the reseach..LOL have a good one!
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I just took a look at drivingcomfort.com. It doesn't offer Genuine Ford products. I purchased Freestyle rubber floor mats which are identical in size and shape to the carpet mats. I just hope the front mats are large enough to handle a Minnesota winter. The one item I was interested in were the seat covers but it turns out they are not available for the 2005 Freestyle. Oh well. I ordered a set of scuff guards for inside the doors from genuinefordaccessories.com. They hopefully arrived today and will be there when I get home from work. I'm still looking for molded splash guards so if anyone finds some let the forum know. Thanks for the tip.
  • vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    I have contacted this company: http://www.dawn-ent.com/
    They make custom painted body-side moldings to fit a variety of cars. I believe if enough people contacted them, they may add a Freestyle offering. I read indybell's innovative postings, and am considering the Five Hundred moldings as another solution. However, I would prefer to not have the chrome insert on my SEL. I wonder how the Five Hundred moldings would look if you left the insert off?
    Our local dealers here just have no information on accessories for the Freestyle, and really do not push the vehicle - stock is pitiful. They try to steer you to the Escape or Explorer instead. Too bad, everyone that has seen my Freestyle asks what it is and are very interested when they hear it gets 25+ mpg. You really have to look at the front end grille and logo to tell it's a Ford.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    There are some sculpted "shelf rests" shapes on each side just above the cargo area. They seem designed to accommodate some cargo hard cover, but nobody knows for what they are for - anyone?
    I badly need a dash cover. My SEL is black and the interior is light. I can’t see the front end of my car. I don't want a "cheap carpet". Please help!
    Also, do you know if the windows wind deflectors decrease wind noise? Or do they actually increase it?

Victor
    I too am interested in a cover for the cargo area but I haven't found one yet... I think those "shelf rests" are for the "rear parcel shelf cargo organizer". It basically looks like a couple of milk crates that fit in the back. To see a picture of them go to http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com and click the "Printable Catalogs" tab on top. Then download the "2005 Freestyle genuine accessories catalog."
  • mike1912mike1912 Member Posts: 1
    I had the Draw-Tite 75299 installed. The installation requires some cutting and if you don't have air tools and a lift -- I wouldn't reccomend a diy installation. The hitch looks and works well. I'd highly reccomend it for those coming off of a larger SUV as I did with 2" receiver stuff.
    It would look pretty bad if you ordered the chrome ones and left off the chrome since there is a molded channel for the chrome.

The body side moldings from the Fivehundred come in two styles, or at least that's what I could tell from walking around the lot at the dealership. One with the chrome strip that, I believe is on the SE or SEL model, and one without the chrome that I think comes on the Limited.

I just happend to want the one with the chrome since my black Limited (with all the windows now tinted) looked pretty plain with all that black.
  • vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    I had the DrawTite #36360 1 1/4" receiver hitch installed yesterday. It looks nice and mostly tucks up under the bumper. I also just traded a Tahoe with the 2'" receiver, but went with the 1 1/4" because it is more stealthy. Since the Freestyle is only rated at 2000 lbs, the 2" would be some over-kill. To address the 2" attachment issue, I have a 1 1/4" to 2" adaptor that I use for those accessories (like the bike rack) that I purchased a few years ago for my kids car when he had a 1 1/4" hitch. The installation of the 1 1/4" hitch on the Freestyle is VERY tight.
    I would definitely not recommend self-installation unless you have a lift and at least one helper. At the hitch place I used (very professional - have been using them for almost 30 years - so these guys know what they are doing) the install took 1 hour with 3 guys (2 holding and positioning, and one fishing the bolts and running the air wrench) and LOTS of cussing and swearing. It was tough to maneuver into position, not scratch the paint on the bumper cover, avoid the exhaust (which they
    ending up dropping the hanger, even though DrawTite says you don't have to) and all the other gizmos hanging on the underside of the vehicle. It was $190 installed and included the insert, pin and a hitch ball. I also purchased the DrawTite wiring kit #18395 for $25 and installed it myself - an easy 30 minute job.
  • nechama770nechama770 Member Posts: 2
    Victor...just got my Freestyle and love it. However, I'd love it better if I can see clearly on those beautiful sunny days. The glare is TERRIBLE. My interior is the light pebble. I also can't stop focusing on the three shapes that are reflected in the window from the dash. I have put a piece of felt-backed vinyl on the dash at this point but its got a bit of a shine so its only a temporary fix. I'm looking for a matte finish material to lay on the top. Any advise or direction to find one would help me too!

Nechama
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    http://www.global-accessories.com/products/store_link.phtml?cust_id=113&selling_page=dashm- at.html&SYSTEM=storelink
    Follow this link to GLOBAL ACCESSORIES INC. They make dash mats and claim that they have mats for FS
This discussion has been closed.