Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Accessories

Comments

• cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had the same good results with an $18 pair of polarized clip-on sunglasses from Walmart.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    Forgive my ignorance, please...
    What is a "polarized" sun glasses? Does it say on the label - polarized?

Victor
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Yes, they should say polarized on them.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When light reflects off a surface it can become polarized and glare often consists of polarized light. Polarizing glasses remove a portion of that glare. As barnstormer indicated, the label will indicate whether the sunglasses are polarized - and so will the price sticker! ;)

tidester, host
    Thank you!

Victor
    Just a quick link on polarized sunglasses (one of many, I'm sure).

http://polarization.com/water/water.html
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I wanted a third key for my 2005 AWD FS and the dealer (team ford in marietta, ga) wanted 35 for the key and $95 to program the key. After I learned from this forum (thanks guys) that I could program the key myself, I declined the team ford price. While down in FL (Crystal River) I stopped by the local ford dealer and asked about the price to cut a key. Here it was only $21 and I did the programing per the manual in about 60 seconds. The big city dealers may have more volume, but they definitely have a bigger mark up and less customer satisfaction. Good luck guys.
    My dealer sold me the key for 25 and programmed it themselves in the car in front of me for free.
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    Bought the key from eBay for $12.99 + $1.99 shipping from afflock. Will need to get the key cut, but it is simple to program the PATS if you have two working keys. Otherwise, bendover for the dealer.
  • ramj70ramj70 Member Posts: 28
    I wish Ford had also used the tinted windows for the passenger windows instead of just the rear windows, especially since most SUV's and crossover vehicles have them in both. I went out got them tinted along with the driver side windows and they also tinted the back windows to make them even darker and it helps out tremendously with the heat. Got the plastic bug shield up front and that really helps.
    I've been wondering about the bug shield... What does it actualy do?
    Basically it deflects the bugs away from the front of the hood of your vehicle. Before I got the bug shield sometimes I would have difficulty removing some of the bugs that hit the front of the hood, took quite a bit of elbow grease to remove it. Plus it seems to help somewhat with deflecting stones from hitting the front also. I also like the look of it also.
    Mainly, it adds aerodynamic drag to the vehicle. :P
    LOL
    Right there with you, brother.
    I guess it depends where you drive. I live in LA, and there seem to be a lack of street-crossing bugs, here. I never see dead animals on the front of my vehicle like I used to see in Europe.
    On another note, bugs are hard to remove from the hood, but isn't it as hard to remove them from the bug shield?
    Not sure if it adds that much to aerodynamic drag since its not just a flat piece of plastic, but my wind tunnel is broke so I can't check it out :P

In regards to the bugs on the shield, so far they seem to deflect away from it, I haven't had to clean it yet. But I would rather have to apply the elbow grease to that than possibly scratching or dulling the paint to get the bugs off the hood. Now the dead animals hitting it are a different matter, here in the DC area they seem to be attracted to the bug shields. Maybe they give off some strange mating call, not sure :blush:
  • bekindbekind Member Posts: 1
    HELP! I went to UHaul to have a trailer hitch installed on my 2005 Ford Freestyle and the technician had trouble with the wiring. It seemed the wiring package that their system listed for my car wasn't a match. He said there was only 1 lead. My internet search has turned up Drawtite part # 18395 ($23.95) as the wiring for my vehicle. What wiring package did you use? Can you provide me a manufacturer name and part #?

I'm also wondering if the technician had the wrong wiring lead, the one on the right that you have been discussing? Can you describe (specifically) how to locate the correct wiring lead?
  • vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    Yes, I used the Drawtite #18395 for my Freestyle. It plugs in - no cutting necessary. The toughest part is removing the interior plastic panels to get at the wiring on the back side of both taillights - just be careful pulling on the panels to avoid stressing them, because the type of plastic Ford uses will leave "stress marks" that are very obvious if not careful. Also, use care in reinstalling - do not force the panels or they will "stress mark" as well. Personnally, I have used U-Haul once and would never again. They are terrible amateurs and I would never let them touch one of my vehicles again. They hire bargain-basement help and seem to be clueless on how to properly install any hitch or wiring. The idiots at my local dealer actually used an impact air cutter and cut two handholes in the uniframe of my Chrysler mini-van to install the bolts for the hitch rather than using the "tool" that DrawTite provides for fishing the bolts into place. Then they cut and destroyed the wiring, when the Drawtite kit was a plugin - improperly splicing and causing the brakelights to stop functioning (this is the way they returned the vehicle to me). They did this to do the wiring from the outside bottom of the van, without having to remove the interior panels to do it right. That was 15 years ago, and I would never recommend U-Haul for anything. Find a local hitch expert, make sure they know what they are doing (discuss with them 1st) and watch them do the job to make sure they do not take shortcuts. Never let an installer cut or weld onto your unibody for a hitch install or cut your factory wiring, or they are doing something wrong. And will void your factory warranty to boot.
  • jeparkeyjeparkey Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a cargo/pet barrier that works with the third row down and doesn't interfere with the side airbags. Any suggestions?
  • hbranschhbransch Member Posts: 8
    That connector is for the back-up sensors. If you do not have that option, it is left kind-of exposed. Check out ebay for Freestyle trailer hitch and 'T' type connector that easily splices into rear lights. Curt makes the hitch and the connector. Search on Curt and Freestyle.
    -H
    Had the same experience from Ebay - searched for Freestyle and key, found a place had them with online instructions. Need both OEM keys. $14 for key, $.99 to cut at local hardware store, 5 min to program, done. Works great.
    -H
    Check out ebay for Freestyle trailer hitch and 'T' type connector that easily splices into rear lights. Curt makes the hitch and the connector. Search on Curt and Freestyle. Curt has a nice 1.25" sq receiver (the 2" is too big for the Freestyle anyway, and much heavier). Can get the wiring kit. Went in fairly easily. Installing the wiring is a pain, since you need to pop off the plastic interior panels to get at the back of the turn signal array.
    Have a couple of pix if you are interested.
    -H
  • pethrus77pethrus77 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 2006 FS and I can not find floor mats. where did u get them? Thanks

Pethrus
  • vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    link title

Got mine here. Lowest price I could find and free shipping. I got the Nifty Catch-all "Carpeted" set. They have a rubberized back and fit like a glove. They have a set for all 3 rows (twin fronts, 1-piece 2nd, 1-piece 3rd) and the colors match the FS interior well. They are also very easy to keep clean, just vacuum or hose them off. The short-napped "carpet" drys quickly. They work great summer or winter. This site also has other mats and liners for the FS. Best luck.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Has anyone found suitable, good looking, well fitting seat covers? I searched the net and found some, but wanted to check before purchasing any sight unseen. The best looking I've found are Covercraft Seat Gloves for $149.95 at autobarn.com and $147.79 at autosupermart.com.
    Hi there. Could not see the photos, could you send them in my email?? I appreciate. Thanks

Pethrus.

PS: I was thinking of adding an Ipod, do you suggest anything??
  • rockytoprockytop Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 limited FWD with 17" wheels. I'm thinking of updgrading to custom 18" wheels. Anyone done that or can recommend a wheel style that looks good on the freestyle?
    Also thinking of upgrading the exhaust system for more punch - anyone done that? Thanks!
  • paullpaull Member Posts: 2
    I have lost the very handy Quick Reference Card for my 2005 Freestyle Limited. It is a great resource for helping with the operation of the climate control system, particularly. Can someone advise me how I can purchase a replacement for the Quick Reference Card? I looked on the Ford website and could find no link to purchase vehicle documents.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    First, if you go up to 18" wheels, you'll lose some performance. More rotating mass equals more work for the engine.

Second, upgrading just the exhaust system will give you less power. Todays engines are optimized for all around performance.
    The only reason that you'd want to increase exhaust flow is if you increase intake flow.

Third, Exhaust systems usually only increase performance in the high rpm range, and since the Freestyle has a CVT and hardly ever uses high RPMs due to its finding the optimum ratio for the task at hand, you'd be wasting your money.
  • rockytoprockytop Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll save some money and keep it stock.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
  • mrfurious19mrfurious19 Member Posts: 8
    Hi all.
    Just got a new 2006 Freestyle and want to add a bug defelctor to protect the hood from paint chips. Does anyone make a low profile, good looking bug defelctor for the Freestyle that requires NO drilling?

Thanks!
    Well, my original post was kind of pointless because no one who sells deflectors except my Ford dealer would even admit that the Ford Freestyle EXISTS and all of them certainly denied the existence of a bug deflector for said, non-existent vehicle. I bought the only one in stock at the dealership and will try to mount it with some good 3m tape first and then drill and screw if I absolutely have to. I'll post up if I can make it work without drilling.

I did find some online for the Freestyle but all were within a few bucks of the dealer price for OEM and by the time I paid shipping on the oversized box it was only a couple dollar savings.
    Are you sure it was a Ford accessory bug shield? I purchased one from my dealer which required no drilling. Anchors slipped into existing holes under the front of the hood and then plastic screws. My deflector also has the name Freestyle pressed into the plastic.
    Hmmm...it was a factory shield. Came in the huge brown box with nothing but the ford parts sticker on the end. I never really looked at the instructions or hardware. I'm going to install it at work tomorrow in the garage so I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine is the same as yours. It'll definitely be worth the money if that's the case:)

Thanks for some light at the end of the tunnel :D
    OK..Got the Ford Accessory deflector installed. It does, in fact, mount in existing holes with plastic fasteners. Very quick and easy installation. I did use my double sided tape though..

The guard contacted the inside lip across the front of the hood. I didn't care for that because I had another deflector rub the paint right off my hood in that area. I ran a strip of 3m double sided tape along that inside lip and reinstalled the deflector. Problem solved.

Thanks for the replies and if you are shopping for a deflector for your Freestyle, seriously consider the one from Ford. It looks very nice with "Freestyle" engraved on it and fits just like a factory part should with no drilling required.
    Hi, I want to be able to play my ipod using the factory radio. Right now I have the fm trasmitor, by I do not like it. Can anyone suggest anything?? I am open to new ideas.
    Thanks
  • jagarfieldjagarfield Member Posts: 2
    I have a big black Lab that I would like to keep behind the 2nd row seats when the 3rd row is folded. Anyone have any luck finding a removable dog screen to fit the Freestyle?
    Thanks
  • usaccessusaccess Member Posts: 2
    Is there a way to install side airbags in a limited freestyle 2006 after buying the car ?

Mine does not have hte side airbags ?

regards
  • mrdinmnmrdinmn Member Posts: 9
    I've got one in the garage that we used on a previous vehicle and I'll check to see if it fits my 05 Freebie.
  • jagarfieldjagarfield Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.
  • rphman1rphman1 Member Posts: 2
    Abody know where I can get a HomeLink visor? I read previously someone got one for $42??
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Not there all the time, but keep looking and one will pop up.
  • carolhalcarolhal Member Posts: 1
    If someone has the factor installed DVD player can you help. I cannot access the menu I have tried everything and the manuel doesnt help at all. Am I doing something wrong, or does service need to look at it. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thx
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Hi, I have removed the second row console in our 2005 Limited so get easier access to the third row and also so it is easier for me to strap my daughter into her booster.

My question is, can I get a part (of carpet?) to cover the hole in the floor that the console removal left?
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    I know the one comes without the console has a cover for it. But I don't know the part number, and if you find out, please post it here. ;)
    I received the cross bars I ordered from autowebaccessories.com. They fit nicely. Total width is 5 feet so they're going to work fine for bringing home sheets of plywood, sheetrock and items longer than 10 feet. Cost: $155.00 plus $17.00 shipping from upstate NY to Minneapolis. Less $$ than the dealer and genuinefordaccessories.com.
  • jhkvtjhkvt Member Posts: 5
    This may seem like a ridiculous question, but I think I messed up in getting a FS Ltd without the auxiliary climate for rear passengers. After testing out the various climate settings, the vents that blow from the back of the front center console into the rear 2nd row are only activated when the front dash blowers are going, and that can be irritating and I expect will be a nuisance when we need to cool down/warm up the back (let alone the 3rd row). Question: Any knowledge whether auxiliary rear climate can be added post-factory?

One other after-market question: Any recommendations for a good aftermarket DVD player to install?

Finally, anyone gotten the ipod connector "Triptunes" installed? Experience (preerably with an Ipod Nano)?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I have the rear climate control system and there is an extra blower in the back passenger corner. The AldC lines run to the back and there's a separate heater. The ceiling as well as the floor have vents, so it's hard to see how all of this could be added aftermarket.

That being said, why would it be irritating to have to use the dash vents in the front to have air blowing from the 2nd row vents? Unless you really had them blowing hard. To get cool air to the rear, you'll want to aim the dash vents up and it will move the cool air up and towards the back.
  • saticoypmsaticoypm Member Posts: 2
    Are you interested in selling that console? I am looking to add one on my FS. What color is it?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Are you interested in selling that console? I am looking to add one on my FS. What color is it?"

Do you mean to say that you got a Freestyle with the rear Captain's chairs, but no console between them? I didn't realize they were ever ordered this way. How do you manage to get a flat cargo floor with the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded?
This discussion has been closed.