Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    This happened to me but it was related to a bad tank of gas--after switching to no ethanol gas for 2 tanks and then going back to regular never happened again--might give it a try
  • blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    I haven't had any problems with my Freestyle ,but it happen to my Escape a while back . It was not a trans problem but a switch called a inter-lock it works when you press on the brake pedal you can shift out of park . So it may be a failed switch .
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    To my knowledge this is the first report of a stuck gearshift.
    The TSB# is 05-10-19. They forgot to do the "programmable module installation (PMI) in order to upload the neccesary information into the new radio. It only takes a few minutes to do it if you take it back to the dealer and they will be embarrased that their customers are smarter than their service personnel.
    I just want to tell you to open your owner's guide to page 197 it explains what to do .
  • gnedgned Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, I really appreciate the help and offer. I called the dealer after I read you post and they could not find the TSB. Thanks again.
    Go to post# 3705 dated Jul 6, 05 in the "Ford Freestyle" forum and print out the TSB text. I had to take a copy to the dealer and highlight the sentence for them and they apologized and fixed it in a few minutes.
  • tjtobiastjtobias Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem dealer loaned me another Freestyle to drive they replaced the shift lever assembly They said it was the first problem they seen. Mine is an 05.
    Great vehicle no other problems since.
  • paulsanpaulsan Member Posts: 8
    We have had dramatic changes in temp in Pennsylvania this January. I noticed on occassion the rear passenger door wouldn't open after coming to a stop-placed in park. I manually hit the unlock to let the passenger out, except that didn't work. I had to go outside to let them out. thought it was child-safety related, but it wasn't. Then one morning it wouldn't go closed, just as you described. But I can't blame the kids for this! Dealer has order the new door locks on Jan16, but no call back. Hmmmm . . . a computer virus that hit us at the same time??? Very odd, but this thread makes me want to do more research.
    Otherwise, we have enjoyed our SEL AWD in the snow and the sun!
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    Unfortunately, the Freestyle has only one big hot air feed for the rear seats. It's behind the 2nd raw on the left side. No right side! I gues it is intended to heat the vehicle as a hole.
    Now, you could make your own choises on where the air is comming from in the front. By default, in Auto mode the hot air is comming at your feet. You can change that. I would direct it through the central vents in the dash.
    I have to say that I've learn to love my FS. I usually fix my own cars, but this being a brand new vehicle I took it to dealerships every time. Even for changing the oil.
    I am terribly disappointed with Ford dealerships. They do a sloppy job and don't know much about the vehicles. Usually they ask me how to get the reading off the odometer! They even lost one of my keys and fob!!!!
    The vehicle (almost 4k) is still doing fine. I've experienced the steering cranking. Dealer could not duplicate, but after that the cranking went away. I've learned to accept the 14 MPG as a fact of life.
    But I decided to look under the car to see how it looks like and I was surprised to see that the axels are rusted red!
    Is this normal?
    ... and where can we find the TSB's ourselves, please?
    ...and I know there were some postings about excessive brake dust on rear wheels. What was the fix?

Thanks,

Victor
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The purpose of the rear heating vent on the left side is to heat the 3rd row, not the 2nd row. 2nd row floor heating comes from the ducts under the front seats, and if leave it on Auto mode or direct the air flow to your feet, you can feel the warm air in the 2nd row coming from under the seats (unless you have something under there blocking the vent). For the 3rd row, there's the big left vent that directs air from left to right along the floor in the 3rd row. You can always use it to help heat up the whole car if you want to, but it's really designed for the 3rd row.
    Then I have a problem there, too!
  • jazzycatjazzycat Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if anyone else with the Freestyle has a squeak in their steering wheel column? We took it into Ford and they changed the steering column but that didn't work. They said when they look it up on their computers they have no fix for it. An engineer from Ford comes around every month and they are going to call us to bring it in. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem?
  • hizzonerhizzoner Member Posts: 1
    I have 25000 km on my freestyle. Almost since it was new it has had a hitch or hesitation when you accellerate slowly from 30km to 60km. It has been hospitalized 4 times. Has had computer checked and re programmed three times, and egr valve and thermostat replaced another. Every time, I take it out and it does it again. Anyone had this?
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    The instructions for re-setting the oil interval that say to push and hold the trip mileage button only apply to the non-electronic systems. To re-set the mileage interval on the electronic systems (Limiteds only, I think), you have to use the levers on the right side of the steering wheel.
    My local Ford dealership didn't catch that either. I went home and poured over the manual until I figured it out for them.
    Just a shot in the dark - did they check the electronic throttle?
  • ghodgesghodges Member Posts: 15
    We have owned our Ford Freestyle since April of 2005. It has had many problems as I've seen on this board. Our major problem is going over speed bumps and dips. The front and rear both have a bad sqeek in the rear and front. Our dealership has had it a total of 19 days for the problems. And told me to pick it up and that nothing else can be done, per a Company Tech from Ford and the dealership. I have filed with the BBB for help and Ford says that as for as they are concerned it is fixed, but it still sqeeks bad over the bumps. I am going to arbitration with BBB and Ford over this matter.
    I would like to know if anyone else has had the sqeek going over the bumps.
    Gerald
    I had the same problem on our 2005 freestyle. They were able to reset the computer on the first try to correct it. But I wish that was all the problems we've had.
    Gerald
  • minipearl1minipearl1 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem twice with my 05 Freestyle, only it wouldn't start at all. Towed to dealership, they said it was "flooded" and implied that I didn't know how to start it correctly. Since that is not the problem, they didn't have an answer, cleaned it out and sent it home. First time car was parked in a heated garage, second time in cold parking lot for an hour or so. Please post again if your dealership finds an answer.
    I had my Freestyle in for many problems in Dec. and Jan. The sqeek in the steering wheel was one of them. There was also another 05 Freestyle in there with same problem (Sherman, TX.). I also had a noise when we turned the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and the Service Manager told me that I'm not suppose to turn the steering wheel all the way. I told him that sure did leave us in trouble because we ran around in a circle all the time.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I also had a noise when we turned the steering wheel all the way to the right or left

During our 5000 mile service I complained of the steering knocking when turning on full lock. Our dealer told us that they lubricated some ball joints or suck like and the knocking disappeared.

Sounds like you have a lazy dealer.
  • reppepreppep Member Posts: 8
    Try this link for the TSB. www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-FORD.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I also had a noise when we turned the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and the Service Manager told me that I'm not suppose to turn the steering wheel all the way.

The manual does say this.
    That might work fine until water washes the grease away running in ran or mud. That Service Manager said when you turn all the way that metal hits metal.
    Like you say, they are lazy. I am going on arbitration with the BBB and Ford in Ft. Worth on 2/28/06 over my problems. I feel an auto warranty should be like anything else, fix it or replace it. Ford says as far as they are concerned they have fixed it. This meeting is over the #369 message.
    Thought I would respond about your 14MPG
    I have 05 freestyle SE AWD now with 20,000 miles
    gets 18-20 stop and go and 26 on long trips with cruise on at 62mph
    I would suspect that your fuel injectors or computer are not functioning correctly
    at 20,000--no problems, never in the shop, no squeaks or rattles -- some rust underneath but this is minnesota in the winter so it's hard to know if just from salt

good luck
    For # 377
    If you've never had your 05' Freestyle in the shop, then you need to check with Ford, they've had two recalls on the 05'.
    they've had two recalls on the 05'.

That's odd . . I have a fairly early '05 Freestyle, and have had NO recalls sent to me from Ford on it.

I did get a recall sent to me on my Five Hundred, though, for hte fuel-tank straps.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    "If you've never had your 05' Freestyle in the shop, then you need to check with Ford, they've had two recalls on the 05'."

Huh? I've only heard of the tank-strap one. What's the other?
    In terms of recalls mine was made in late 04--an early one
    Have not received any recall requests for fuel tank strap in these I think
    what is the other recall?
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    The reason for the fuel tank strap recall was that the supplier switched to a weaker form of steel against Ford specs. If they switched to a weaker form of steel later in the Freestyle production run, then the early Freestyles were not affected. I think thats what happened.
    I also had a noise when we turned the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and the Service Manager told me that I'm not suppose to turn the steering wheel all the way.

Well that it just dumb. The steering has to be designed to allow full lock. How can they stop us from turning full lock? If I am maneuvering in a tight spot then I am going to use all the lock I can. If they do not want us to turn the wheel that much then they should adjust their steering stops and increasing the vehicle's turning radius in the specifications.

The manual does say this.

I had a look and couldn't find anything. Page number please?
    In general, it's not a good idea to turn the steering wheel to the extreme position and just hold it there because it puts wear on the power steering pump; however, I don't think it's a big deal for normal driving situations. I think if you turn it to the extreme and just hold it there for a minute it wouldn't be good, but in normal driving situations I wouldn't worry about it, because it would only be in that position for a few seconds anyway.
    The squeak in the Steering Wheel Column and the hard right or left turn noise under the hood are two seperate noises. when mine was in the shop on the two, there was another Freestyle there with the same problems.
    To message # 379. There was also the gas tank strap recall on the Freestyle. The other, so my dealer said was the brake cable going to the back was not strapped properly and that it was a recall and that was what made my Freestyle squeak going over bumps. Needless to say, it didn't fix my squeak. He might have made up a lie on that recall, beings they did some lubing on it. I just can't beleive that my Ford Dealer would tell a lie.
    I had a look and couldn't find anything. Page number please?

Page 197

"To prevent damage to the power steering system, never hold the steering wheel at its furthest turning points (until it stops) for more than a few seconds when the engine is running"
    Okay this is different than saying you should not turn full lock.

As was stated earlier, it is okay to turn full lock as it is only done for a few seconds typically. The Ford manual saids its okay for a few seconds.

What the ford manual is effectively stating, is that you should not be sitting stationary with the steering on full lock when the engine is on as it will wear out the power steering system. That is the only time I can think of that you may have full lock for more than a few seconds, unless of course you are doing donuts or power burn outs (both of which are probably not possible in a Freestyle anyway) and in that case you probably have other issues... :)
    Or if you were parallel parked and had the wheel to full lock while waiting for a break in traffic to pull out. Depending on the traffic, you might hold at full lock for a full minute. But this still would be a pretty unusual situation I'd think.
  • nibyaknibyak Member Posts: 26
    All of the Fords that I have owned have a noisy power steering pump (squealing) when the wheel is turned to the stops. My new freestyle is no exception. I noticed it when turning around in the parking garage at my wife's office. Just back off of the wheel a bit and it should stop squealing. The wheels will only turn so far; all you are doing is driving them harder into the stops and over working the pump. Still sucks that it makes the noise.
    I honestly think this behavior (squealing) is by design, so that you don't do what the manual warns against: holding the wheel up against the stops for more than a second or so.
  • kberrykberry Member Posts: 2
    We had a similar problem with our AWD SE. The wrench light came on 4 times and the first 3 times the dealer stated no codes were left in the computers. They agreed that if it happens again that we could bring it in and they would check for codes when ever it happens during business hours. Well yesterday it happened and we brought it in, they came up with 4 codes. I dropped off the car today and they are to tell us today what and how long to repair.
    I also requested a copy of the 4 codes that came up so we can keep a record of the same. :sick:
  • johnk6johnk6 Member Posts: 7
    check message #190 i think this is your problem.
  • sixer32sixer32 Member Posts: 2
    This is my second day with the freestyle and everything is fine except for the fact I have a very annoying vibration thru out the vehicle at speeds over 60mph ( this vibration is occurring all the time however speeds over 60mph it becomes rather annoying .)I am taking it back to the dealer tommorow Has anyone had this problem. I traded a perfectly good fivehundred for the freestyle and I never had any problems with the fivehundred just needed the extra space. The vibrations seem to be starting in the rear of the car. I took my freestyle to a chain service center to see if it was the alignment, however it checked out fine .
    I had tires balanced,again no problem.The managers recommendation was to have dealer look at it, He also thinks I may have a defected tire. As far as I am concerned I think it may be a transmission problem. Has anyone had a problem similar to the one I am posting?
    I to have a similar problem but mind goes away after 2 or 3 miles . Do you have AWD and or Pirelli tires ? I think it's the tires because it only happens when temps are around 30 degrees or lower . Once the tires heat up or outside temps are well above freezing things are fine .
    Not enough information. FWD or AWD model? Did you purchase new from a Ford dealer, or used from somewhere else? Just curious as to why you would take it to a "chain" place to have alignment checked if the vehicle is new. Are you feeling the vibration through the steering wheel or the seat? Did you test drive the vehicle before purchase?
  • tedbergertedberger Member Posts: 3
    05 FS SEL (built 11/04)w/ 16K miles. :( Problem with what is probably warped rotors in front/finally convinced dealer (Fairway - Placentia CA) to cut front rotors/still shudder noticeably especially braking from 50 mph +. Not terribly impressed with Ford dealer service... Never have been really. Next move is to demand new rotors outright. Too bad because FS is nice car in my view - very functional, easy on eyes, nice to drive. Poorly promoted and supported by Ford/Ford really has to decide who they are and what they are about. If they asked me.. it starts with the customer service or lack thereof in my nearly 16 years owning five different vehicles. anyone with the brake shudder, please respond and thx!
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    We've had our '05 AWD SEL for a couple of weeks now and have noticed one problem. When turning at low speeds as I move the steering wheel back or forth in either direction I feel a fairly significant single thump under my feet on the floor. It is almost as if someone has hit the underneath of the floor with a hammer. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the fix? One possible contributing factor is it has been VERY cold here lately with temperatures below 0F. It still did it though yesterday when it was somewhat warmer at 15F.

- Chad
  • sixer32sixer32 Member Posts: 2
    awd drive limited , Purchased new .It was sunday and service was closed and this particular place I have used in the past since it was close to my house.To add to that they perform free alignment and balnce test. I test drove the vehicle but obivously not long enough. This vehicle I purchased was also a dealer exchange from 280 miles from the dealer ship that I made the purchase at. I did however test drive another awd limited over night 2 days before final purchase and it was fine. Just got it back from dealer today and they rebalanced all tires and adjusted front toe. The pulling to the right is gone but between 60-65 mph I am still feeling vibration then it goes away.
    The pulling to the right is gone but between 60-65 mph I am still feeling vibration then it goes away.

That's almost certainly a tire balance issue. I haven't experienced this yet with my Freestyle or Five Hundred, but I have experienced it with other cars.

The solution has usually been to rotate the tires, re-balance the tires, etc. Also, you may have a bent rim that's causing issues.
    AWD Limited tells me you have the 18" Pirelli's. I agree with barnstormer that it's probably a tire or wheel issue. If the vibration goes away while you're driving, it's possibly related to cold temperatures. Perhaps, as your tires warm-up they quit causing the problem. Since I'm not familiar with the AWD model, I would suggest asking your service department if the AWD system could possibly be the root cause.

It's water over the dam now, but it's been my experience that dealer trades from somewhere far away are never a good idea unless the vehicle is trucked to the selling dealership. Good luck and enjoy your Freestyle.