Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    Your dealer's service dept. is going to be the best source of information regarding the transmission problem. Just keep asking questions of your service advisor until you understand what they're talking about. If he can't explain it to you, ask for the service manager.

I'm not an expert on brakes.. but I can't imagine replacing the rotors and not simultaneously replacing pads.
  • tommyceetommycee Member Posts: 10
    The check engine light came on in my 2006 Freestyle purchased in January (6k miles). I brought it to the dealer and the dealer said that the gas cap was loose. They suggested turning the gas cap until it clicks and removing the keys when filling up. I did as suggested, however, the light came back on. Is there a way to reset so that the light goes off? I do not want to bring it back to the dealer when I know what the problem is. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    There could be several reasons related to the emission system that would cause the light to come on, the gas cap being the most common. If you are sure that the cap is on tight and that it clicks wait a few days (drive a few miles) to see if it goes off. It might take a little while for it to reset. If it stays on for a week, then it is probably something else that the dealer has to diagnose. Some auto parts stores can diagnose it for you for free if you don't want to take it to the dealer.
  • nibyaknibyak Member Posts: 26
    Your Freestyle has an actual gas cap light. If you leave the cap loose it will light. It happened to me. The check engine light didn't light, the gas cap light lit. It sounds like your service advisor blew you off. Have them check the codes in the computer. You can have it done at some auto parts stores also. Of course the auto parts stores cannot perform warranty work on your car.
  • jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    this happened to me at 15000 miles and was a bad tank of gas--one tank later and by adding fuel injector cleaner it went away and has never returned
  • jschreiberjschreiber Member Posts: 50
    OK I feel the pain of the several of you with problems.
    I have an 05 freestyle made in 04 according to the door now with 27,000 miles. Never in the shop and drives great with a real road hugging feel--is great in the snow
    so, hang in there you freestyle owners, all is not bad
  • dgulinodgulino Member Posts: 38
    Is there a way to reset so that the light goes off?

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it. (Of course, you'll lose your radio station presets as well as the clock setting, but you can reset those!) I did this once about a year ago with my 2005 SE after I just refilled the tank and then drove up a fairly steep hill. This somehow caused the gas gauge to go haywire, swinging wildly between full and empty and causing the check engine or whatever light to go on.

I was going to take it to the dealer (I'd had the car only about two or three months at the time, purchased new, and it had about 4000 miles on it), but the night before, I thought about the disconnecting the battery thing. Once I reconnected and restarted the car, no check engine light and no problem in the 12 months and 22,000 miles since. I now have had the car almost 14 months, it has almost 27,000 miles on it, and the problem has not recurred.

We just returned from a 900 mile, mostly interstate, but some stop-and-go, round trip from southeastern Ohio to Chicago, and we averaged 27 miles per gallon. The car has given us no problems since we've owned it (other than the goofy check engine light thing I mentioned above, which I don't consider a problem). Before taking the trip, I had it in for an oil change, tire rotation, and routine brake inspection, and the pads, after 26,000 miles of about equal in-town and highway driving, are worn 50%. That's about 10% wear per 5200 miles. If I replace them at 80% worn, that would be just over 40,000 miles on the original pads. Can't complain about that!
  • tommyceetommycee Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the information. Funny thing after the last refill the check engine light went off. I also love my Freestyle. aside from the engine light it hasn't given me any problems, however, I only have 8k miles on it. It's getting very good gas milage so far and has been running like a dream. I've been seeing more on the road lately. Everytime I see one I have to check it out. Thanks for your help.
  • vwcarcrazyvwcarcrazy Member Posts: 52
    On Ford products, the check engine light will reset itself automatically after 3 completed warm-up and cool-down cycles (not start/restart alone), if the problem that caused the check engine light to go on has resolved itself. The code that caused the check engine light to go on will stay in the computer for retreival for 40 cycles, in case you wish to have it checked by the dealer. You can check it yourself by purchasing a code reader for about $75 at your local Checker Auto, Pep Boys, etc. I had the chance to check the reset feature a few weeks ago, when I accidentally loosened the connector on the MAF sensor when checking the air filter. Reconnected it and 3 engine cycles later the check engine light went back out. Best luck.
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    I just had a local shop take off the small plastic fender flare shields in front of the rear wheels on my Freestlye Limited. It has the Merlot (Burgandy) colored paint so dings from road debris were beginning to be noticable. The new shields cover the whole width of the fender flare and go up to almost the rear edge of the rear doors. (My request.) This took less than an hour and cost me $65.00.
    The new pieces of plastic cover the old pits real well; looks and feels like new again. I would suggest having this done before the paint damage becomes too severe. My son bought a Freestyle SEL (dark blue/silver) and his fender flares are pitted too. The damage is less noticable on lighter colored paint but it's there if you look. By the way, we live in Oregon (we don't have to shovel our precipitation) and only drive on pavement so the paint pitting is only from normal city driving.
  • fskoreafskorea Member Posts: 2
    Hello Janetr,

We purchased a 2006 Freestyle in Mar 06 - recieved it in Jul 06. I drove the car almost immediately after it was taken off the delivery truck and the steering wheel rocked left to right when the brakes was applied. This problem has persisted through 400 plus miles. I took the car to a Ford service center where they "polished" the rotors and proclaimed the problem solved. However, on the way home, I noticed that whenever I braked while traveling 50mph - the problem who re-occur.

Another problem has been the A/C; Whenever it is on there is a real strong vibration and a "whump whump" sound, which appears to be getting strong - especially after the car has been driven normally for a while.

Prior to turning the car over to me, the dealer employee's open the sealed box that contained my keyless entry code (factory set and unchangeable). I consider the car's security to be comprised.

Bottom line: Yesterday, I notified the dealer that I wanted the car replaced. We like the Freestyle, but we aren't happy with the performance of this particular car.

I would appreciate feedback from you and other Freestyle owners.

Thank you. :(
  • fskoreafskorea Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

We purchased a 2006 Freestyle in Mar 06 - recieved it in Jul 06. I drove the car almost immediately after it was taken off the delivery truck and the steering wheel rocked left to right when the brakes was applied. This problem has persisted through 400 plus miles. I took the car to a Ford service center where they "polished" the rotors and proclaimed the problem solved. However, on the way home, I noticed that whenever I braked while traveling 50mph - the problem then re-occurs.

Another problem has been the A/C; Whenever it is on there is a real strong vibration and a "whump whump" sound, which appears to be getting stronger/louder - especially after the car has been driven normally for a while.

Prior to turning the car over to me, the dealer employee's open the sealed box that contained my keyless entry code (factory set and unchangeable). I consider the car's security to be comprised.

Bottom line: Yesterday, I notified the dealer that I wanted the car replaced. We like the Freestyle, but we aren't happy with the performance of this particular car.

I would appreciate feedback and guidance from other Freestyle owners.

Thank you.
    Was this a used vehicle? A "program" car perhaps? Was the vehicle ever in an accident?

Your brake issue sounds like warped rotors. Easily fixed. Have the selling dealer replace the rotors and pads. If the car is brand-new, this will be done free of charge to you. If the car has over 12,000 miles on the odometer, then you may have to pay for the brake work yourself. It depends on the conditions under which the sale took place. In some states, "used" vehicles are sold "as is" with no implied warranty. You assume the liability.

The A/C noise issue is covered under warranty. Take it to a Ford dealer and demonstrate the noise to them.
  • volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    What was the explanation given you for opening the sealed box?

My dealer told me that the service manager records the keypad entry code of every vehicle with keyless entry that the dealership sells. This is so the dealership can provide it to the first or subsequent owners if they ever lose the code. Seems like a reasonable dealer service to me. I wouldn't consider the car "compromised." I think you're overreacting.
  • oldgwtholdgwth Member Posts: 25
    Unless there was a change in the 06 from the 05 the keyless entry code can be changed to what ever you choose by simple instructions found in the owners manual. I changed mine. Hope things work out for you.
    Unless there was a change in the 06 from the 05 the keyless entry code can be changed to what ever you choose by simple instructions found in the owners manual. I changed mine. Hope things work out for you.

Yes, BUT, the original code doesn't disappear. You now have TWO codes that open your doors--the one the vehicle came with AND the one you just programmed in.

According to the owner's manual and my dealer's service manager, the original code is hard-wired in and isn't erased when a new code is created. It just becomes a second code that also activates the locks. According to the owner's manual, the factory code is supposed to be written on top of the "computer module" that controls the locks, but it gives no indication where the module is located in the car.

Think about it. If you trade in a car with a keyless entry system but fail to give the dealer who buys it from you or the person you're selling the car to if you sell it privately the security code you created, the keyless system would be useless to them unless there was some way of getting into the system and recovering some sort of code. That system is to keep the original code active and make it available to the dealer either by simply reading it off the control module, accessing it through some sort of VIN-based database maintained by the manufacturer, or something similar.
  • theabatheaba Member Posts: 3
    Please share with the forum if you have have tried a specific dashmat to reduce windshield glare in Freestyle. I own a 2005 model year. Other than the glare issue, it is an excellent car. Here are what we know about the glare:
    1) There is a serious windshield glare problem in the car. It reduces visibility and makes driving hazardous both at night time (under city light posts) and day time (under any bright sunlight condition). The problem is more severe in cars with light color interior.
    2) Polarizing sun glasses are very effective in cutting the glare at daytime driving. But, at night time, it is not a practical solution.
    3) Using dashmat might be a solution (albeit an ugly one). But I am not sure if they interfere with the airbag operation.
    4) Applying a sort of anti-glare coating on the windshield might be another solution. But need feedback from the manufacturer about the appropriate coating (and also compliance with DMV rules).

I hope we get some comments from Ford too.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    My solution was cheap and effective if not quite elegant. I bought a chocolate colored towel which I folded across the top of the dash. it works well and when i don't need it, off it comes in a second. I call it the Martha Stewart Dash Mat. The glare from the pebble dash is awful.
  • tonydagtonydag Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Freestyle SEL on 7/31/06. It had a problem right off the bat and it has been at the dealership more than at my house. They asked me to think about what they can do to make me a happy customer. I am very unhappy with the stereo sound. The unit and cd changer are fine, but the sound is weak and flat. I asked them if they could upgrade the system to the Audiophile system found in the Limited or intall 4 speakers, a small amp, and a speaker to line level converter if I buy them. How good is the Audiophile system? Are you guys and gals happy with it? Does anyone know if SEL system can be upgraded to the Audiophile system.
    :confuse:
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    The original factory code isn't replaced when you put in a second one.

Also, the first code can be read through the on-board computer if you ever sell the car.

Many dealers want to CHARGE you (or the new owner) to recover this code if you don't remember it.
  • wendellmwendellm Member Posts: 1
    6 weeks ago we had a '01 Lincon LS V8. we discovered the Freestyle at our local Ford dealer while waiting for some adjustments to be made to the windows of our Lincon as a result of a accident. We traded that very day for the Freestyle. So far no regrets what so ever. I discovered this forum by accident. and have visited it almost every day. Good info. I keep seeing complaints about dash glair in the windshield. My Freestyle Limited is Black with the pebble interior. I had the windows tinted to match the factory tint on the rear windows. I ocassionally notice a reflection of the dash but it less than the LS, my Mustang GT, Dodge Intrepid or Ford Tarus we had, and is far from being a problem as far as we are concerned.
  • theabatheaba Member Posts: 3
    I wonder if the towel can interfere with the airbag deployment in the passenger side. But it sounds like a good solution for the night-time driving in highways and streets with lots of light posts. I plan to get a dashmat that has a cut where the airbag is located.
    The towel is not heavy and would be blow away very easily. I have ssen some dashmats on a Freestyle and they look tacky and don't fit well.
  • pierresardainpierresardain Member Posts: 8
    Go to:
    http://www.global-accessories.com/dashmat/index.html

I purchased a black dashmat especially designed for the Ford Freestyle there. The windshield glare issue instantly disappeared.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I have an 05 with the base AM/FM/CD. The sound is very poor. I don't know if it is the speakers or the stereo itself. Fortunately my wife drives it most of the time. Please post your solution and e-mail me. Thanks.
    The "solution" is to apply yourself to the problem. Get out the owner's manual and spend some time in the vehicle with the key in the on position, but with the engine off. Make sure bass/treble, balance, and fade are all set normally. Set "compress(ion)" to "on" for CD use. Leave it there permanently.

Some have reported better sound by replacing the factory speakers with aftermarket ones. This is common to all vehicles. Automobile manufacturers don't go to great lengths to put great speakers in their product. It's just not a priority for them, because they know that most people can't tell the difference anyway.
    How does it fit? Does it cover the passenger airbag area?
    Yes it does, but it is cut as to allow deployment of the airbag. Overall, it fits really well. It even allows access to the small maps and CDs compartment that is above the radio/CD unit. It is not great looking but it does the job as far as the windshield glare is concerned.
    Actually, I drove thousands of miles this summer and I never thought about this, not even once.
    The one I got was $40 or so.
    Good luck!
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I had the same problem. I ended up replacing the stock speakers. After removing them, it was obvious as to why the sound was so bad. They have a plastic grill cover in addition to the door cover, thus a lot of material to have to traverse before ever reaching your ears. I had them replaced with sonys (6x7s) and the sound is 1000% better. Good luck.
    How much did that cost you?
    Thanks!
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I had circuit city do it. It came to about $160 including installation (4 speakers).
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    Twice in the last month the wrench light illuminated and "Engine Safe Mode" message came on the display of our '05 AWD Freestyle with 27k miles. In both cases, turning off the car and re-starting fixed the problem. After the second occurence I brought the vehicle into our local Ford dealer. They diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle body sensor and replaced it under warranty. I just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else runs into this. This was the first mechanical problem we've had with this vehicle. We are very satisfied.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Throttle body sensor: Is that a pressure sensor, or is that the throttle position sensor?
  • yoyo123yoyo123 Member Posts: 33
    I had the same problem with the same solution with the throttle body. Obviously a known problem. Good thing it happened under warranty. I wasn't so lucky on my rear brakes.
  • lwhlwh Member Posts: 2
    How do you go about getting them to buy back? I have had the front struts replaced twice for clunking noises. The last time was about 2 months ago, and it's already doing it again. Also clunking when turning. It's rediculous for a new car. My car has 30k on it right now.
  • blue05blue05 Member Posts: 42
    I had a similar sound mostly when turning left , dealer stated it was the steering stops . They lubed the stops noise is gone .
  • lwhlwh Member Posts: 2
    Yes, they made that correction too. I just can't believe that it should have to keep being done every other month. I have a series of noises...the clunking when turning, and also when going over speed bumps. It's actually embarassing to be backing out of a parking space with the clunking noise going on in a new car. It's also headed out of warrantyk,which concerns me.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    My post earlier was on an '05 Limited AWD with 18" wheels, and interestingly enough, I am one of those zoom red light zoom again drivers. That's the main reason I usually get below average on mileage. When I tried a little harder, got 26.5 on the road, and around 19-20 in town, but I don't try hard too often. Then again, I also just replaced my '02 Explorer V6 with an '06 Explorer V8.
  • nat84nat84 Member Posts: 5
    I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I went to start the car and after about 4 failed attempts where the engine would crank but not engage I was about to freak out. I sat in the car for a minute took a deep breath and tried again and presto it started. By the way I have a 2006 limited AWD Freestyle. I don't know what the problem is but it hasn’t happened again so I guess I will worry if it does. The reoccurring problem that I have been having is with the driver’s side auto window. Occasionally, not every time, when I do the one touch close window feature the window will go down instead of up (and no I did not accidentally do it the wrong way) or sometime it will go down a couple of inches before going up. The only thing that I can think of is that either there is a crossed wire somewhere or that it is grounding out somewhere. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem?! Either way I need to take it to get looked at. Also I don't know if you all heard about the recall for 2005-06 models and the rear window frames but if you want to read up on it the link is
    http://www.newsnet5.com/automotive/10052850/detail.html

The issue with the glare must be with the lighter color interiors. My Freestyle is black leather with black dash and I have no problems with glare.

Has anyone had an auto start system installed in their Freestyle? I live in Alaska and am desperately seeking advice on them before it gets any colder. This is going to be my fist winter up here and I don't want to be any colder than I have to be.

Last but not least has anyone had any problems with the VIN numbers? When I went to get insurance on it the VIN number pulled up the car as being a Ford Free star, not Freestyle. We checked all the VIN #'s and the all matched including the one on the data plate on the ford. Right now I don't know if it is affecting my rates or if I get into an accident if the will deny coverage but I don't know what else to do. Is it possible that Ford issued it the wrong VIN?

I really appreciate any comments or answers anyone can give me. Thanks!!!
    "When I went to get insurance on it the VIN number pulled up the car as being a Ford Free star, not Freestyle."

It's extremely unlikely that the manufacturer (in this case Ford) would have made this mistake. It's far more likely that the mistake was made when somebody at your insurer was entering a bunch of data into their computers and they confused the two names.
  • finklefinkle Member Posts: 1
    Last week I called Ford Service to report that my 2005 Freestyle was making extreme screeching sounds (sounded like it was coming from the front somewhere) when pulling forward and backward. I had AAA come and get the car and tow it to the dealer, which upon arrival it had stopped. I had let the service man hear the screeching on the phone, but to my dissappointment no one could figure out what this might be, any suggestions? I already had my rear brakes replaced at 20,000.00 and right now I have 24,000.00 and am thinking of trading in the vehicle to avoid further serious damage or problems.
  • mandygrattonmandygratton Member Posts: 4
    I don't know why you are directing your anger at me. The Ford dealership, and Ford Canada both told me that the problem was driver error, that there was no defect with the brakes. I asked many times if there was something wrong with the brakes of the car. They emphatically denied that there was anything they could do. (And, they didn't try to explain why the front brake pads would have no wear when the back ones were completely gone.)

Also, I would never presume that only Ford knew about automotive design and engineering. Any reputable mechanic or dealership will always encourage you to get a second opinion from an independent mechanic. So, I think it's you who needs to take a deep breath. A safety cage is about the only thing going for it, if the faulty brake system is going to mean that I'm at a much greater risk for having an accident.
  • yoyo123yoyo123 Member Posts: 33
    Mandy,

This is a well known problem. Consider yourself lucky as due to your mileage, the dealer should cover it under warranty. My guess is you drive a lot of around town driving. Unfortunately, for me, I do a lot of highway driving and didn't use the brakes as much, so my rear brakes went out much later, but the fronts are practically new. I am a long term Ford customer (since I started buying cars in 1990) and they basically told me "tough luck". The Ford rep even told me that they were aware of the issue and were looking at it. Of course they used this as extorsion to make sure I had my brakes fixed at Ford, saying that if I had my brakes fixed anywhere else, then Ford wouldn't reimburse the repair.

The problem isn't fixed by the new pads as the rear brakes carry way to much of the load by design. This is what the Ford rep told me. The trade off is handling vs. rear brake wear. I understand that this is an issue, but it should have been identified and resolved before it went to market. Also, it should have been a recall as brakes are a safety issue.

I have gone from a long term Ford man to buying something else. I will NOT buy another Ford, ever!! I won't buy a product from a company that recognizes a problem and then won't make the situation right by fixing the problem at no cost. Also, I have never had brakes last less than 60,000 miles on any of the Fords I have owned. I have had plenty of batteries go out (all within warranty and replaced at no cost), but I have always been very happy with the brakes until now.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone having freezing latch problems yet this winter?

There's a recall coming if you got your Freestyle in a cold weather state:

Chilling news for Ford owners (Daily Southtown)
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Not on my current Freestyle yet, but the same thing would happen a few times on my old '95 Windstar I no longer have. The latch would freeze (water/ice on it) and the door would not latch closed. I used string to hold it closed while I drove to work! Not fun.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Odd thing happened today. I was sitting still in my SE FWD with the turn signal on when it suddenly stopped making the two tone sound. After maybe three to four seconds the sound returned. Then I lost my control panel functions. The temp, fuel, tach and speedometer needles dropped below zero, lower than where they sit when off, and were bouncing up and down about an eighth of an inch. It looked like their last gasps of life. Shut the car down for thirty seconds, re-started and everything was fine but only drove a couple of blocks. I have some errands to do so hopefully it wont happen again. Very damp air in Minneapolis this morning, but it's been this damp before. Any thoughts on what might have happened?
    Is yours a 2005 model? I believe there was a TSB out on this intermittent problem. Checking with your dealer's service department is my suggestion.
  • jalonjalon Member Posts: 2
    Well I think you need to press the client services person giving you this standard line. I myself do not have a Freestyle, I am the owner of a Fusion, but was considering getting a bigger car what with my two big dogs and house in the country etc...

I was getting my winter tires put on and having a conversation with my rep, who has been more than super honest with me always. I asked about the Freestyle, and if I should consider trading in for a the bigger car. He leaned over and whispered that I should wait until Ford figures out the problem they are having on the rear brakes that seem to use out within 15,000 klms. Apart from that he says the car is great.

He told me it is a issue he is seeing with all the Freestyles sold in the last couple of years and Ford has yet to make the necessary adjustments to permanently correct the issue and make a formal recall on the rear brakes.

What Freestyles owners need to do is call Ford Canada directly and start complaining! I did the same with my Focus years ago and the issue of the defective tailgate latch, not long after a recall and correction was issued. Send in your issues and complaints directly to Ford Canada. The dealers are more than happy to keep billing Ford Canada to replace faulty brakes, they won't say anything until Ford Canada sees the year end cost of replacing the brakes.

Hope you have some success in getting this issue resolved, hopefully before I make the jump over to the Freestyle.

Cheers
  • mandygrattonmandygratton Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your support.

I did indeed write a letter to Ford Canada, and cc:'ed my dealership. They say they are looking into the matter for me. I hope that Ford does a recall soon! Brakes are a key issue on any car.

Cheers