Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Accesories & Modifications

Comments

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    It incredibly simple. Crutchfield will send you the instructions....Removal will take less than 2 minutes...
  • yngwieyngwie Member Posts: 16
    Thanks! I'm diggin' the car,but need a little more juice in the audio dept.
  • ryryck591ryryck591 Member Posts: 2
    anyone know how to take 2007 speakers out
  • gene_fitzgene_fitz Member Posts: 9
    The rear deck speakers in the sedan are pretty easy, however, you do have to take the rear deck cover off to do that. This means all the tie downs and locks have to be unbolted, then you just have to be careful while pulling the deck cover off.
    The doors are a little more difficult, because not only do you have to remove the bolts for the handles, arm rests and such, but there are holding clips behind the door, that many times are "one use" items. Be aware, and ready to spend the needed money for them.
    If it all possible, I would reccomend you take it to a professional and have them do it. Not only will it be guaranteed, but it will save you a lot of headaches.
  • yngwieyngwie Member Posts: 16
    I just pulled the factory radio out of my 07 A5. It is the radio with the cd player. Replced it with a Kenwood. I could sell it to you. What do you think it's worth?
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    At the risk of being skewered and seared over an open flame -- Aveo body kits??? What's next? Body kits for my Moped?? Oh well... I happened upon this forum and couldn't help reading through it. I even looked at the pictures of one guys modified Aveo with wheels and an underbody light kit. What ever floats your boat. What you will have is a one of a kind car that no one else will have and I give you kudos for that. As long as it's tastefully done and not over done. Just don't be puting Fast and Furious air dams and wings and spoilers on. :D I couldn't believe that there were body kits out there for Aveos much less people that would actually want to modify this essentially new generation Metro.

In restrospect - can you imagine the looks you would get from a Mustang owner at a stoplight if you hopped up your Aveo to be a tire burner?? A sleeping Aveo. That might be kind of cool.
  • scy80scy80 Member Posts: 3
    First of all, let me start off by saying that I have loved my little white roller skate - I mean Aveo - since the day I bought it. My only issue with it just recently started. I have a 2004 LS and have always locked my car using the remote. Two weeks ago I noticed that I didn't get my customary "honk" when I pressed the button. The doors locked, but the alarm didn't engage, so I know it's not necessarily the remote battery going bad, but just in case I replaced it. Still no fix. I continued to lock it with the remote anyways.

Earlier this week when I went to lock it, lo and behold it honked, then the alarm went off. I unlocked the doors and the alarm turned off. I put the key in the ignition to keep the doors from automatically locking again and then when I got out I locked the doors manually. I have since then continued to use my remote most of the time to lock the doors, occassionally the alarm engages (and 60% of the time the alarm will go off anywhere from immediately after locked to 15 mins later) and I notice that the indicator light on the dash is blinking larger and brighter than normal. More often then not, the doors only lock, no alarm activation or dash indicator light.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? I'm open to suggestions.
  • estrellasestrellas Member Posts: 2
    I know this is a horribly dumb question, but I absolutely cannot figure out how to set the radio stations in my 2006 Aveo. it's driving me nuts!
  • libbyloolibbyloo Member Posts: 1
    My Hot Wheels..well Aveo is doing the exact same thing. It went about 3 weeks ago. Of course my warranty is up so i havent taken it into the dealership.
    I called the hotline number to see what they could do for me and if it would be covered at all but i was given no help there.
    I read through the manual and it says that instead of using the lock button on your key you can just lock the door manually by putting the key in the door. So far it works. it's my first day trying it out and my alarm has yet to go off.

Let me know if you've heard anything different
  • partylitepartylite Member Posts: 1
    I have had this same problem with my 05 Aveo. I have brought it into the shop on 2 occasions and they claim there is a short someplace and they can't find it. If you lock it manually with the key it works ok.

Mine goes off during cold weather and wet weather. My neighbors just love to hear the sound of my car alarm all night in the winter...UGH

Good luck!!
  • xerox135xerox135 Member Posts: 5
    I have the shop manual if you want the pages of wiring
  • slickhero2007slickhero2007 Member Posts: 1
    site doesn't have anything for 04 to 06 this is the message i get
    The requested resource is not available.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    If someone has already asked this, I missed it. I have used the K&N air filters before in other cars and trucks, and barely notice any difference in 'horsepower or mileage increase'. It wasn't worse, but barely noticed any improvement. At $44.00 a piece, for the Aveo, has anyone put this in their Aveo? With an automatic tranny? Has it made ANY change at all in your miles per gallon, or give it anymore, 'get up and go'? :confuse: Considering the small amount of mileage I have on my Aveo after 2.5 years, I just dont if it is worth the cost. Opinons from people that have installed one in their Aveo, would be great.
  • aveoctbaveoctb Member Posts: 5
    Your car comes from the factory with a preset tuning that, in theory, is optimal for typical driving conditions. If your car senses that more air is coming into the motor than expected, it will adjust the fuel injection accordingly to continue giving the same performance as before. You can try to get around this by pulling your battery cables off and then putting the back on. This will cause the computer to forget its current settings and go into a mode where it will retune itself. Since you now have upgrades, it will be taking your upgraded filter/airbox into consideration this time.

However, an air filter alone is too small an upgrade to really matter anyway, in my opinion. To fully take advantage of airflow upgrades, you need a bigger intake, more efficient exhaust, tuned injectors, and an appropriate MAF sensor. For an Aveo, it's really not going to be worthwhile.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Thank you for your advise. And you are VERY right. It isnt worth the price of all those mods, to get a few horsepower, in an Aveo. it would cost the price of the car to get all the mods! Even just a cold air intake , which I tired, is to much money and way to much work. It didnt fit, and took months to get my money back. I gave up trying for more power. I guess I have all I will get with my synthetic oil, and Bosch Plus 4 spark plugs. I get better mpg. Maybe a whopping 1-3 more horsepower. Thats enough. IF the K&N actually gave the car the 10-15 extra horsepower it claims all over its ads, it would be worth it. but it never does. Maybe I'll just go put in a new plain old paper filter. :)
  • muggelbergmuggelberg Member Posts: 19
    I have an 05 aveo and the alarm just goes off for no reason.... In the middle of the day or night.... At first we thought it was loud noise or a bump against it.. but that's not it. We unlocked it yesterday, and the next thing I know it locked itself(with the birdy chirp) I'm guessing it's a short somewhere....

Anyone with help???

Thanks Bill
    :confuse:
  • demoman1demoman1 Member Posts: 8
    That chirp sound is the alarm reseting it's self. It is normal to do this, in case you forget to lock the car. Notice the doors locking also.
  • srs5694srs5694 Member Posts: 3
    According to the manual for my '08 Aveo, on cars with the factory alarm, the doors lock themselves after you unlock them under certain circumstances. IIRC, "certain circumstances" are if you don't insert the key into the ignition within 30 seconds, but I might not be remembering correctly. Check your manual -- but note that the Aveo's advanced computer-controlled features seem to be documented about as accurately as most computer equipment (that is, not very well). For instance, my manual talks about the stereo playing MP3 files with .m3u extensions, but this is inaccurate; the stereo wants to see .mp3 extensions, and it seems to ignore .m3u files.
  • tishpit1tishpit1 Member Posts: 24
    Was wondering where and if you can get a rear stabilizer or sway bar for the '08 Aveo to get more sporty handling?
  • blasterollinblasterollin Member Posts: 1
    part of your problem, could be those bosch plug, never ever, have i heard anyone give even a small hint of running bosch, in a gm motor, your best bet is delco, no matter what, ive been working on cars since i was 12 and i know, you dont want bosch plugs, good plugs dont get me wrong, but not for a gm motor. have a good one
  • timsaveotimsaveo Member Posts: 1
    hey i did find a turbo kit for the aveo it comes with a t4 turbo and all of the hookups exept for the header
  • johnsobjohnsob Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem when its cold.
  • peter58peter58 Member Posts: 4
    Today I took my 2004 Aveo in for it's 40,000km service and mentioned to the technician that I was still experiencing problems with the alarm, it would go off for no reason as it has been doing for the past 5years and today when I locked the door remotely there was no sound.
    He immediately said it could be the hood actuator. being the eternal skeptic I left if with them and they confirmed that the hood actuator was too short and was not making correct contact with the switch and the ALARM did go off when they were testing this actuator..hallelujah :):)
  • gabormgaborm Member Posts: 3
  • estrellasestrellas Member Posts: 2
  • cqtrancqtran Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 not 2006 but I believe both year have same radio features, I do the following steps to save my stations on mine:
    - Radio On (of course}
    - Select AM or FM
    - Tune in the disire station
    - Press and hold one of the six number pusbuttons for longer than 2 seconds, the number will flash on the radio display when the station has been set. (after on whenever you press that number button this set station come back again)
    - Repeat the steps for each number pushbutton for your favorite stations
    Hope these above will help ... :shades:
  • victor_aveovictor_aveo Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 aveo. The former owner said the anti-theft system stopped working about a year ago. Autozone's website had the schematics, this forum warned of hood switch problems. The hood sensor is the only sensor not tied into the 'door ajar' light and tied directly into the anti-theft system. It was highly suspect as the culprit. It is mounted in front of the radiator on the driver's side of the hood latch. The switch felt like it had sand in it when pressed down. Looking thought the grill you can see that the wire harness can disconnect from the sensor. Upon disconnecting it the switch crumbled in my fingers. I made a jumper of wire and put it into the wire harness connector, closing the circuit, wrapped it with electrical tape and taped this to the frame for easy retrieval. The security system now works just fine, but of course isn't protecting hood access. I will see how steep the replacement hood tamper switch is at the dealership.

So nice to get that pleasant chirping noise!
  • sammer17sammer17 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Aveo......I have had SO MANY freakin problem's with the alarm and the car itself. If there was a lemon in the bunch of 2006's I own it!!!! : :lemon: :mad:
    Last year i had the same issue as some of you with the alarm going off for no reason at all hours of the day and night. I was after getting the run around and was told its was a short they couldnt find and to live with the problem. After raising hell...
    Turned out to be that some of the switches had lost connection.

Now the anti-theft system stopped working as well. I came home got to my door and the alarm went off for no reason. I went did the normal routine to turn it off. Got up went to work the next day, went to lock the door and no "chirp". Im just going to add this to the long list of things that have gone on with this car.
    Hi
    Have the dealer check the hood tampering switch, for years I had the same problem then one technician had an idea to check this switch(and replace it) and the alarm now works properly.
    Good luck
  • sammer17sammer17 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks.....I will do that forsure. :)
  • demoman1demoman1 Member Posts: 8
    I put tap lights in the glove box and on either side under the dash to light up the floor. Being led lights they are brite and low profile also there self adhesive. :)
  • ccbeallccbeall Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2005 chevy aveo. It has manual door locks. Recently it has decided not to start but each time you turn the key to start the car the horn honks but does not start.

Any clues? We didn't know it had any type of anti theft deterrent on it.

Thanks
  • erin38_1999erin38_1999 Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem everyone on this page has had, the alarm goes off in wet weather, my daughter was in college and the alarm went off while she was in school, she unlocked the doors and the alarm still kept going off. This 2005 Aveo has been nothing but a headache for us sence we baught it 2 years ago.
    Did you have them check the hood actuator, they replaced mine and the alarm problem has now been fixed, over a year now and the alarm never goes off on it's own
  • 04aveoproblems04aveoproblems Member Posts: 1
    Yes I'm having the problem, haven't fixed it yet because I had to buy a $200 battery cable from the factory installed battery exploding, corroding the prong but "just" the prong wasn't an optional replacement, it's seamed in with the cable. Then I spent $1400.00 for the timing belt that broke before the 60,000 suggested replacement time... and now I'm buying a $100 thermostat housing part and hoping my engine didn't blow up because when that split at the seams in half there was no indication, no heating up, no warning light, just smoke, so hoping I got pulled over in time, will see. But yeah haven't been able to tackle the alarm problem yet. That will be next, make sure I get my car into excellent condition and sell it fast before anything else pops up... better off buying an island beater and pouring money into it rather then having a car payment and pouring money in as well. good luck, let me know when you get it fixed, how much, what the problem was. i'm assuming it's electrical as I'm having electrical problems with the radio and turn signals as well! all I can do is laugh. my pour little car is so high maintenance, and I bought it for the gas mileage.. why oh why!!!!
  • hk86hk86 Member Posts: 1
    The timing belt in my Aveo busted. The pistons shot into the valves now the engine is toast. I was thinking of replacing the engine with a Cobalt engine. Is this an easy swap, totally interchangable? It's a the Chevy dealership getting worked on. Will they think I'm crazy and not put in a different engine?? Thx.
  • mkoebelmkoebel Member Posts: 1
    my dad just gave me his 2004 hatchback with 134000 miles on it. I want to do something to the car to give it sound and performance. has anyone put in a short ram intake or a cold air intake? Any other ideas for making it sound better or a little quicker? any easy mods for a 16 year-old and my brother to do would be great, thanks!
  • jenny20jenny20 Member Posts: 2
    So my mom (she is a very old fashion lady) had bought me a new 2009 aveo for college ( I am 20 years old), I like the car but the only thing is that it doesn't have a car alarm, power windows or locks!? Is there any way I can add these items on? Can you help give me an estimated cost and where would I go do this?
  • jenny20jenny20 Member Posts: 2
    please help me?!
  • tuned_aveotuned_aveo Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 LT sedan with an AEM cold air intake i got from www.tirerack.com and it fits great, i also got H&R sport springs and eibach camber adjusters from the same site. For wheels and tires i have 15x7 american racing santa cruz wheels wrapped in yokohama s-drives. i have also upgraded the brakes with marcor m-sport slotted and crossdrilled rotors and hawk performance ceramic pads.
  • bperrillbperrill Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I had a 1989 Ford Festiva 1.3 liter. I towed a 500 lb Polaris waverider for a few years with no problem. It had a Class 2, 1 inch hitch. I now have a 2008 Aveo hatchback 1.6 liter and I have a 700 lb wave rider and am thinking of having a similar hitch mounted. The trailer probably weighs 50 lbs.
  • majorfan88majorfan88 Member Posts: 2
    so, i just got an aveo 5-speed a few months ago 2009 hatchback and the pick-up is just killing me! does anybody know anything i can do to make it a bit faster? i'm also looking to race and it's my only car.
  • belleluluebellelulue Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    racing with your aveo ?! Gotta Kidding me. Only a few people are able to and if you're telling me you can't get speed with it, you're a fool.

First learn to RIDE your car, be one with it. Know the good time to shift and accelerate. Know your limits, know the car's limits. Get into it and ride. Than when you'll do only one with your car, you could begin to think about racin' it !

I always got my aveo5 with all original parts - no modification at all and I won racing against mitsubishi lancer. That's driving a car !
  • majorfan88majorfan88 Member Posts: 2
    Oh I'm pretty serious :) I love my car, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade it for anything (that didn't cost 3x the price!) I feel like I'm starting to figure out where some of the limits are, mostly by accident, but I'm also relatively new to driving a manual, so there's definitely been a learning curve there.
    As far as riding my car, I usually drive pretty conservatively for better gas mileage, but lately i've been pushing it to see what it can really do. How safe is it really to push the rpms? I can pretty easily shift a gear later than I would just driving around, but I'm almost scared to do anymore (for the car's sake)
    I almost feel like I just need to go to a test and tune and just see what happens, but I'm soooo new to this, so I'm scared.
    Everyone keeps talking about being a good "driver" or really knowing how to drive. I have no idea what that means exactly...my understanding of it seems too easy.
    First, you should always keep in mind you should not "test" you car in the city. You don't want to kill someone walkin' around and you really don't want to be the new target of policemen.

You need to keep in mind that if you need your aveo as a daily car, you can't always push the rpm to the maximum. It will cost you a new motor in a year !

On daily ride, the best is to shift at 4,000. You get max power. If you want to race, the best is to shift between 6,000 and 6,500. Don't ever think to get to 7,000. You car won't appreciate, and you'll notice it. It feels like your car brake for 1 second and you're head will hit the seat. That's the best thing that could happends. In worst case, you're car will "die" and you'll need a new motor. Oil will be spilling on the road!

Speed is not all, you need to learn how much degrees you can turn the steering wheel to make any king of turn. You should know how fast you can push you car in a wideturn ... and not make the car fall to the side (it get really close to it once - I was really scared !!!)

If you want to keep your speed in a turn, not a 90° but a 15 to 70°, you can ride to the largest of the road. As if it turns right, keep left while turning. If it turns left, keep right. Always watch if a car is trying to pass you before doing that !

That's all for today's lesson ;)
  • dpawl31dpawl31 Member Posts: 1
    Telling someone running to redline is going to cost them an engine in a year is bogus. In fact it helps clear out the motor and run smoother overall.

Some experts will tell you to redline once a week just to do that.

As for turns, you enter a turn on the inside of the turn, hold tight, and on exit swing to the outside. Shortest distance and maintaining speed. As much as I hate to say it, watch Nascar for an example. They always enter turns on the inside, stay tight to the inside, and mash the throttle and slide to the outside edge of the turn as they enter the straightaway. Play any gran turismo game and watch the racing line... there IS a reason for it.
    Got enough of this : second time browser bog and erase post.

Do not compare a racecar and a daily drive. that's my point.

GT isn't real life. Even GT5 ! So get over it and don't recommand something so stupid to someone with a stockcar!

Yes nascar is doing it - and engeneer know how to modify the car to do so !
  • killadelphiakilladelphia Member Posts: 3
    Spectra intake kit with a thrush glass pack sounds good.
    Thats around $60 - $70.
    I have an echarger hooked up to my intake and cat delete headers.
    The headers are painted and wrapped with 50 feet.
    Its sound good.
    When I put the headers on, it gave it a deeper rumble.
  • killadelphiakilladelphia Member Posts: 3
    Was the lancer a rolling chassis?