Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
edited August 2014 in Dodge
Per this Edmunds article http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106045, it seems that our buddies at DC are thinking of re-introducing the Challenger. Ohhh, drool-slobber. I was the proud owner of an original 1970 Challenger, and would dearly love to have another car cut from that type of mold.

For my purposes, the closer to the 1970 incarnation the better from a looks perspective, a Hemi would be a MUST as would be a true 3-Pedal 6-Speed manual transmission. If that configuration comes to market, I'd be saying, "Bye-bye BMW... Hello Dodge!"

Best Regards,
Shipo

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Caught that in Autoweek. Based on the current platform.

Fear: a repeat of the GTO.

I think DCX design crews this side of the pond have a better chance of getting it right than any GM counterparts, but still, we're talking about a platform designed for some kinda hefty cars thus far. Another 3500lb+ GT car we don't need, IMO, even with a Hemi.

You can push your 3rd pedal, Shipo, and be blessed. Matter of fact, if they put a Challenger name on anything without pedal number 3, I'll scoff and likewise deride, but if they include a slick Benz 7A, I'll take it!
    ;-]
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that by 2010, most (if not all) Automatic transmission equipped Chrysler division products will be sporting what are now current Mercedes-Benz transmissions. So, for you, a Hemi Challenger with a Benz 7A (or at least a 6A) is probably a pretty good bet.

Regarding DCX doing a GTO type of goof, geez, I sure as hell hope not. Fortunately, other than the current Charger (which I think should have been called a Polara or Monaco or something like that), the Chrysler division designers seem to be doing a fairly good job these days.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Errr, "Ex-Ricers"... Hmmm, I'm thinking that isn't quite PC enough for the TownHall.

As for me, well, I'll be 53 by then and I'd be more than happy to pick up a Hemi Challenger, assuming of course that it has a good old fashioned (like me) manual transmission. Yeesh, to think that I'll be coming in from the BMW fold while most of the other Challenger owners will be coming in from the slammed Honda fold (assuming that your prognostication is correct). What next? ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Hmmnnn... I thought DCX often publicy stated they would not make any more 2 door coupes because " the public doesn't want them" while defending the 4 door only Charger. Maybe the success of the new Mustang changed their tune? NEVER say NEVER!! :D
  • tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    Dodge has concept challenger for 06 and that already want but it porducion for 07 its two door looks like challenger little bit of cuda and old charger. muscle area is back for while. the new challenger is going to have a fuel saving V6,5.7lit or for old people 340 cubic inch Hemi 6.1 lit or if you prefer 370 cubic inch engine.HEMI POWER
  • toplesstopless Member Posts: 1
    I agree shipo a 1970 with 3 pedals / 2010 come on with todays technology there's no excuse for this program to take three &1/2 years . how about a 2007 RT 6.1 hemi 6 or 7 speed convertible . I already have the 1970 Dodge challenger 383 4 speed RT convertible and room in the heated garage for the new one bring it on.
    thats what mopar is all about :D
    V6 250 horsepower
    Hemi 5.7 340 cubic inch 345 horsepower
    6.1 hemi 425 horsepower
    American Muscle

Tex
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Personally, I'd like to see what they could do with a smaller, lighter eight. When the Charger concept first hit the show circuit in '99, the speculation was that it would use the 4.7L configured for CNG. Now I'm green and all, but I don't really care if CNG is one application or not; I'd really like to see them deliver a smaller, lighter, high output eight about that size.

These new bad boys are indeed wicked fun, but they're huge, and they've still got a way big gap in the lineup without a smaller high performance two-door with power to the correct wheels.
  • forzaforza Member Posts: 36
    If you're like me, a huge fan of the Challenger, then look at the september issue of motortrend and they have a sketch. Of course the production may look different, but the sketch does indicate where the Challenger design will go, and I like it. It has all the old styling cues.
  • shortfuseshortfuse Member Posts: 1
    In my opinion they blew it with the new Charger. It makes me sick to see that nameplate on that car. I am a fan of the 1969 Chargers and to try and bring them back and have 4-doors is a joke. I also think GM messed up when they stopped production of the Z-28/Trans-Am since the new FORD Mustang seems to be doing well. But what do I know? I'm not a highly paid statistician like the ones they had back in 1994 that told them they wouldn't sell any 3/4 ton 4WD trucks in the south.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I've heard that by 2009 or so there will be a revised Dodge Magnum. I hope Dodge can trim the weight of this new Challenger. They had better enter it in sports car racing like Ford is doing with the new Mustang which has already won four races against BMW M3s, Porsche 911s, Nissan 350Zs, and other cars in Grand-Am Cup. Also, the new Pontiac GTO.R. has won one race since it came to the Rolex Sports Car Series a month or two ago against BMW M3s (with 3.4 liter I-6 engines), 911 GT3 Cup cars, Corvettes, and what not.

go Dodge!
    This Challenger originally had a 318 cubic inch V-8, but the car was restored and now has a 440 6-Pack, a shaker hood, and a hurst pistol grip.

• gkientzlegkientzle Member Posts: 1
    There are some nice images created by Doug Schraam at creatingthelie.com. Go to Automotive design, then Mopar. I was going to include pics, but I'm not sure how at this time. I would be happy if they made the cars look like these images.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Yeah, I checked out those images.

The Challenger drawing is NICE! It has all the good old styling cues.

I also saw a Camaro drawing and it's pretty good also.

If you want to see another sketch, pick up the September issue of Motor Trend, with the red Mazda MX-5 on the cover. That sketch was pretty neat.

I have a feeling that no matter what Dodge does, this car will look awesome. Chrysler/Dodge make the best exterior designs out of the domestic brands.
    I think Saleen and Panoz make the best exterior designs out of the American car makers.
  • plum500plum500 Member Posts: 12
    Here's a couple of my early takes on an LY Challenger. First a bit more radical. Second a bit more traditional.

Fire away.">
  • moparman69moparman69 Member Posts: 1
    Hell yes. my only problem is that you can't shut off the 4 cylinders at any given time. just when you turn on cruise control. that irks me, gas prices being the way they are. other than that, hell yes. \m/(--)\m/

-ryan-
    According to Karl's blog, they will have sketches and spyshots of the Challenger up on Inside Line soon. I can hardly wait!!

In the meantime, check out this good sketch.

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000013051179

AMAZING! :D

I hope the production looks like that.

Soon we're really going to have muscle car wars heating up, with the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang.
    Oh geez, if that car makes the showroom, I'm going back to a domestic (sort of) for the first time since 1988. To my eye, that rendering takes the best of the old Barracuda and Challenger and combines them into a package that, with the addition of a 6.1 Hemi and a three pedal 6-Speed manual would actually make me willing to pay full MSRP for the car. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    This article quotes the R&T editor. This sketch looks mostly like an old Challenger with a new grille, so it isn't very likely to look like this (too bad).

Now where's the T/A edition with side pipes? Hope the interior has a pistol grip.

Alongside the new Camaro/Firebird being developed, the NAIAS should be interesting this year.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0511/21/A01-388656.htm
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Autoweek has spy shots. Looks like a vintage Challenger, but with some odd proportions. If they were going to go this retro, why didn't they just break out the old body panels?

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103629
    It sounds cool, but Dodge should use modern styling from the Magnum which reminds me of a hot rod. Retro styling doesn't age well.

Challenger concept spied

Magnum RT

Dodge should enter the new Challenger in sports car racing like Ford has done with the new Mustang.

Empringham and Ford take GS titles

Mustang Sally, guess you better slow your Mustang down

Gunnar Jeannette waits before the start alongside James Gue (in car) at Mid Ohio.

• stockmoparstockmopar Member Posts: 1
    Isn't the new Challenger supposed actually going to be a 2008 Dodge Challenger not a 2010? A little while ago it was rumored that it was going to be a 2009 Dodge Challenger, but now is looking to be a 2008 Model.
    The first reports were 2010, hence the title of this discussion. I've since heard 2009 and now 2008, and from my perspective, the sooner the sooner.

Maybe our Hosts can change the title of this discussion from "2010 Dodge Challenger" to something more generic like, "Next Generation Dodge Challenger".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It will debut in 2009.
    check the link for new pictures

New Dodge Challenger
    Thanks for the link. I like it more and more as it reminds me very much of my 1970 Challenger. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the great pictues xkss! :)

Chevrolet is going to have to do a real good job with the new Camaro/Chevelle to get it noticed between the Mustang and Challenger. I'm looking forward to seeing that.
    Check out the interior! It's got a pistol grip shifter, and a 425 HEMI. If this thing is properly priced, it's sure to be a hit.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    If they can bring it in with the V-8 under $30K they'll sell all they can make.
    One mag had the price as $35k+, I think that's a bit much.
    How about $30K for the standard V8 Hemi, $35K for the 425 horse unit?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why would it not be in roughly the same price range as a Charger or Magnum with Hemi?
    I wasn't posting prices as if I knew what they were going to be (I wish I did), I was posting them to see if that would be the threshold at which scootertrash would bite. Personally I suspect that Hemi Charger pricing would be a good guess as a base line. That being said, the new Challenger might could well come in a little lower as it is a smaller car with fewer doors, and possibly a few less bells and whistles.

Unfortunately for my bank account, I'm of the habit of ordering virtually every available option on my cars with the exception of the slushbox transmission. :P That means that regardless of the base price for the Challenger, the one that I'm hoping ends up in my garage will most likely come in north of $40K.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • woodstock73woodstock73 Member Posts: 1
    Here's a site that contains a whole lot of information, including drawings, photo's, etc.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have already. I will definitely have a Hemi version of this car when it becomes available. The Charger was a disappointment so maybe they'll redesign it too.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=10492&page_numb- er=1

Car and Driver also estimates base price for the 425hp Hemi engine at $35,000. Wonder if Dodge will make a cheaper one with the 340hp Hemi. That should be around $28-29K.
  • heltzelheltzel Member Posts: 1
    Sure hope I can wait for a convertible RT version in all the wild colors, a shaker hood and the 392 6.4 Hemi. Looking forward to parking one next to our 70 Challenger RT convertible. :) Production date needs to be real soon like fall of 06 as Ford already has a least a year on them with the new Mustang!
  • liftoffhoodliftoffhood Member Posts: 1
    1968 was the first year for the road runner,a chrysler corporation mile stone car. Make 2008 another mile stone year for this incredible, beautiful 21st century 2008 challenger! A fitting 30 year tribute to the king of muscle car manufacturers, chrysler corporation. And please, dodge, keep them comming. Make car shopping and new model anticipation fun again. Dodge PLEASE GO FO IT!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!The world is ready for the 2008 Challenger.I sure am. And please make them affordable and plentiful, and don't let the dealers charge over the sticker price for a few fortunate ones to have.Every one out there, bombard dodge with your emails to get this car in production now!!
  • 71vert71vert Member Posts: 6
    They need to be quick about the release as not to miss out on the pony war like they did in the late 60's. I think the front looks more like a 71 challenger and definatly a 70 on the rear. A winner for dodge, and a great make up for that boob they call the new family car...oops! I mean new charger Ha. Ha.. Cant wait... Steve
    "1968 was the first year for the road runner,a chrysler corporation mile stone car. Make 2008 another mile stone year for this incredible, beautiful 21st century 2008 challenger! A fitting 30 year tribute to the king of muscle car manufacturers, chrysler corporation."

Not to split hairs here because I feel exactly the same way you do, however, last time I checked, 2008 would be the fortieth anniversary of the introduction of the Road Runner. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • johnsramjohnsram Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a pic. of the 2009 Challenger, it looks great, got to have one...But if chrysler could bring back the Road Runner, that would be the best thing ever from chrysler. I would try to buy two of them, one to drive and one keep in the garage.
    Hmmm, a new Road Runner, I'm thinking that would require a "Double Dust-Off" ceremony. Why? Well, unless DC calls it a Dodge Road Runner (don't sound quite right), they'd need to reincarnate Plymouth as well. That by the way isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, but it probably ain't gonna happen any time soon. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I agree, although its too bad! I loved the plymouth line of 60's and 70's cars, but the dodge cuda' or dodge roadrunner just doesn't have that ring to it. The new challenger is going to be the biggest thing since my x-wife's bungee cord broke in colorado. thanks!
    I found some pictures of the Camaro which is what we'll se at Detroit.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/07/detroit-2006-chevrolet-camaro-concept-rev- ealed/

So let's hear it. What looks best on the outside, the Camaro or Challenger? Let the debate begin!
  • cobrasvtcobrasvt Member Posts: 1
    The prototype of the Camaro is hideous. Once again, GM screws up and misses again. The Challenger on the other hand looks great. Some of the drawings earlier in the thread are even better. I own a 2001 Cobra and I would consider the Challenger in a heartbeat. I wouldn't give this Camero one look.
    I think the design has a little bit of the camaro feel. The challenger on the other hand screams old muscle, new muscle. I am a dodge guy I'm afraid, I have had a 64 ford galaxy 390 4-speed, a 69 chevelle ss394 4-speed convertible and I currently own a 71 challenger 383 4-speed convertible, hands down the dodge is the more desirible muscle. I had a 96 z28 covertible 6-speed in the late 90's..I liked it, but I find the chrysler line very unique where the gm line is too exploited and predictible. You cant walk through a salvage yard without tripping over a 350. The new design looks o.k. but I havent seen the driveline specs or the interior. I need more information to make an educated decision, to be fair to both brands. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.