Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yo, dude. Take a chill pill and count to five bazillion.

There's room here for all opinions. It seems that you have one, however, just what it is I have no idea. So, please, take a step back, collect your thoughts, put them in outline format and post them in a nice & logical format. When you do, the rest of us can digest what it is you have to say, think about it and then debate it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lexmenlexmen Member Posts: 6
    Dude, are you slow?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    America = waist?

I have read that Americans are overweight on average, yes. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Nope, quite to the contrary actually, I just have a problem reading incomprehensible and illogically presented thoughts. Please, try again.
    And with the Lincoln LS and the Cadillac CTS somehow I thought American automakers were taking a different direction: lean vehicles with lighter but stronger bodies, with smaller but more powerful engines. Sure, these pimp rides look and sound good, but we way passed that.
  • zman08zman08 Member Posts: 11
    I can aprreciate your point of view lexman, but what about the guy like me. I don't want somebody telling me that this is it, lean, lighter, stronger bodies with smaller powerful motors is all I have a choice of. I want bold heavy looking American muscle of the past in a new package. It may seem out of date to you, but to me it's the next generation of muscle car, it's going back to it's roots to draw from. Personally there's not much out there that grabs my interest, this Challenger is one sweet looking ride. Merry Christmas brother. ;)
    And I appreciate and respect yours. And it is clear that Chrysler knows that there is a big market for these vehicles and they are wisely capitalizing on it. We are a very diverse society and auto manufacturers have to adapt to that. Best wishes to you and your love ones. ;)
  • kawhdkawhd Member Posts: 3
    As a previous owner of a 1970 440 Challenger, I'm thrilled with the overall design with the exception of the dash. Personally, I'd like to see a more simple and retro looking set up similar to 1970. DCX went to such extremes to ensure the styling was spot on 1970. I just wish the dash was more retro.

Also, when it comes to pricing I'd look for the Challenger to be in line with the competition (Charger, Shelby Mustang, etc.) so you'd better start saving your pennies because you'll need around $45,000 for the most powerful HEMI version.

Merry Christmas.
    I'm expecting to be paying upwards of $50,000Can for an SRT8 version,but I will make that decision when I see the production version and take it out for a drive. 50K is alot of coin to blow on a set of summer wheels.
    I have to admit that I'm torn between spending $45,000 - $50,000 on a new Challenger versus a nice 1970 440 R/T. There are pros and cons for each, but the 1970 will always be one of the few, where as the 2008 will be one of many. I'll wait to see what the final production vehicle looks like and its price before I make a final decision.
  • yankeezyankeez Member Posts: 4
    Greetings all, I'm new to this forum but have been a long time reader. If I could change the subject for just a minute, I'd be curious to get your thoughts on this:

I've been reading now for awhile that Dodge does NOT intend on offering a V6 Challenger (ever). Looks like it's going to be a V8 version only (the 6.1 SRT is a foregone conclusion, but I'm guessing they'll offer a 5.7 version as well... but as of yet I haven't seen anything confirming this). Let me say first that I'm personally not interested in a V6 Challenger (I doubt many of us here would be), but I have to say I think this is going to be a grave mistake on Dodge's part not to offer one and I sincerely hope they reconsider, and here's why:

Ford sells about 3 (or more) V6 Mustangs for every V8 GT model. Ford has no problem selling 100,000+ Mustangs a year. GM is more than likely going to offer a V6 of some sort on the new 09 Camaro. If Dodge offers the Challenger in only one flavor, so to speak, that's gonna severly limit its appeal and I truly believe the car is gonna end up tanking as a result. One need only look at the 04-06 GTO for an example (I had an 04 GTO). Sure you could say the GTO tanked because it looked too much like a Grand Am/Grand Prix/Cavalier - whatever... but it also failed, I believe, because its market was too limited.

IMHO the Challenger absolutely needs a V6 engine if it's gonna survive more than just 3-4 years on the market and not end up being another GTO or Chevy SSR. Chrysler already has an excellent 250 hp 3.5 V6 in the Charger SXT that would bolt right in, no problem. Plus I believe the dealers won't be able to gouge as much (which you KNOW they're gonna do, especially in the first year or two) with a lower-end V6 model available.

Again, to state that I personally wouldn't want a V6 Challenger - I'm going straight for the 425 hp SRT model (and that damn thing BETTER have a 6-speed manual!)... but if that's all that Dodge is gonna offer, even in just its first year, it's gonna be just like the GTO/SSR/Prowler all over again.

Your thoughts...
    I'll be praying that DC don't make that mistake. And the truth is that I don't mind the V6. Plus there's plenty of aftermarket parts for these V6es that one can even double their output. And lets not forget that many people also choose their rides based on their looks and not necessary for their engine size. We'll see.
    I agree with you 100% yankeez, they would be down right retarded if they didn't make this appealing to the market that didn't require having a gas guzzling motor. The V6 does appeal to the majority of the market out there, but I am of the same school as you are, my Challenger has got to have the minimum of the 6.1 under the hood and the 6 speed tranny to boot. Check this website out, it gives some reliable insight to matter of the V6 option in the future.
    http://www.allpar.com , Cheers
    Well here is a snippet of info that's been going around

"While the Mustang has a V8 as an option, with only 30% of the Ford sports car being sold with the beefier engine, it seems that the Challenger will only come in a V8, and thus is targeted squarely at the people bent on having powerful muscle cars."

I know there are some who believe the Challenger should ONLY be a V8, but like I said earlier I truly believe it'll end up being a dire mistake if this is the route that DCX insists on taking.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Too expensive, too wide, and more engine (low gas mileage) than most people would care to have. If it sells for $31K, and is so large a car, it will be just a specialty car, such as the SSR. Nothing most people would have an interest in. Wish it was smaller, lighter, and had the V6, with a price around $23K or LESS. The Challenger, otherwise becomes a super-sized replica car -- whoopee!
    -LOren
    Face it Loren, the Challenger is simply too much car for you. Your frequent harping about "too big, too heavy, too much engine, too much gas consumption" is falling on deaf ears as that isn't what the Challenger is all about. Why you keep dumping on this and other cars when there are plenty of other cars out there that are much more closely aligned with your needs, wants and desires is beyond me. :confuse:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • C2456RonC2456Ron Member Posts: 58
    I read, and Posted (the 1st Post of) D/C's Announcement of Production of the new Challenger, and in the announcement it said that this car would come out almost just as seen in the Prototype, with few changes such as wheels, the 22" wheels were just too large to fit in the wheelwells and hit the body during just a minor acceleration, or Bump! It also said that this car would come out with a 425 HP Hemi, Pistol Grip 6 speed, and many of the features that were seen in this Prototype, and will sell somewhere in the $20,000.-- Range (possibly high $20.'s, but still under $30,000.-- for such a fine looking, fast automobile!
    Now I have no idea if D/C has improved on it's Fuel Economy, as Chevy has! D/C's economy has shown poorly, as proof just look at the "Viper" or the "Dodge Ram", with the "Viper" engine in it that are known to only get about 13 mpg! Corvette, including the ZO6 are well known to get quite reasonable Fuel mileage, 18 - 22 around town, and 28 mpg on the Highway! I have a Z51 C6 corvette, had a C5 LS1, C4 LT1 and C2 FI 327, and ALL but the 65 327 got excellent fuel mileage! My C6 gives me 22 - 24 City, and 27 - 29 Highway! I will say that I do have a rather heavy foot in town, but cruise near 80 - 85 on the highway, and have always gotten great fuel mileage with the Vette's I've owned! Just because a car is fast does not mean it can not get good fuel mileage, and great acceleration, comfort, looks, and all the benefits of owning one of these great automobiles!
    I have just been sitting here, reading all the Posts that have this car selling at or near $45,000. to $50,000. NOT! Please go way back to where D/C announced it was going ahead with production of this Old Time Muscle Car, and you will see everything I have said! I have not heard anything that would change my mind as to what I have already read!!! Thank you for reading my Post, but this is my honest opinion, and I will stick to it, until proven wrong!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "It also said that this car would come out with a 425 HP Hemi, Pistol Grip 6 speed, and many of the features that were seen in this Prototype, and will sell somewhere in the $20,000.-- Range (possibly high $20.'s, but still under $30,000.-- for such a fine looking, fast automobile!"

Well, considering that the current Charger SRT-8 (with the 6.1 425hp hemi) sells for $36k with no options, I have a hard time believing that Dodge would sell a lower volume Challenger similarly equipped for under $30k.

I think that with the initial announcement, DCX was saying the Challenger would be AVAILABLE with the 425hp hemi, and would be AVAILABLE for under $30k......but not both.
    C2456Ron,

I did say 45K - 50K, but that wasn't in US funds it was in CDN funds. That will be the minimum price tag considering the SRT8 Charger is tagged at 47K CDN. The concept did have large wheels 21"x10' rear and 20"x9" front, wich will more than likely be change to 20's on the production model.
    Shipo: What is beyond you is of little interest to me.

If the super-sized Challenger is built and sold as a V8 only for a high sticker price, it will fail. They already have a overpriced Viper, the Crossfire fiasco, a Charger which is a four door, kinda odd version of what people would think of a Charger, the Sebring which is pretty ugly. Would be good for Chrysler to stop and think of what's ahead. The PT and 300 were quite the success. It is slowly going downhill from there. This Towns Car sized muscle car, or whatever you wish to classify it as, is larger than the original. Just perfect for $3.50 per gallon gas prices of 2007.

If Chrysler can actually make money on limited run, low volume sold Challengers, which a few can appreciate, then fine -- you got your Hemi, supersized, show car. As for profitable, Chrysler is heading towards doomsday, IMHO.
    -Loren
    Help me out, please.

My Challenger will be a "weekend fun" car and not a daily driver. So, do I wait and buy a 2008 HEMI, or a 1970 R/T 440? It's looking like the price will be about the same (low to mid $40k).

I've always wanted a HEMI, but how special and unique will the new Challenger be versus an original 1970.

I'm struggling with which way to go and would like to hear from other Challenger enthusiast.

Thanks
    Look, all you do is rag on the car adnauseum. It's your right to state your feelings, and I support that, however, you've said your piece so many times that you sound like a broken record. With that in mind, we who like the car know your opinion of it and really don't care, so please move on.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    M1miata, you simply just do not get it. This car is aimed atthe hard core rod market, not the mother who drives the kids to school everyday market. There's plenty of boring fuel efficient cars for that, they're actually starting to offer the muscle fans a car to appreciate and and possibly purchase. Cheers.
    Well kawhd, there are several factors to consider in such a decision. For instance...

You can buy a 70 Challenger R/T right now instead of waiting until the 08 model comes out, so if you're in a hurry to scratch your itch, the old one might be the best choice. Plus, it'll probably be easier to buy an old one - you won't have to worry about dealers gouging the holy hell out of it or having Fort Knox-style security around it like they will the new one (and you KNOW they will).

The 70 Challenger will continue to appreciate in value whereas the new one will depreciate (although not by much in the first year or two), so if you're looking to get any real return on your investment, the old one is the way to go.

The 08 Challenger will no doubt be a much nicer (and safer) car to drive - it'll have functioning A/C, anti-lock brakes, air bags, will be able to stop, handle and corner light years ahead of the old model and get alot better MPG - plus it'll have a full warranty and won't likely leak oil or tranny fluid in your garage like an older one might. Plus it'll be a NEW car and not a 37-year-old one that's been thru god knows what-all...

Some things to think about :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    HOT TIP OF THE DAY: If you already dislike the Challenger and know you don't have an interest in either driving it or purchasing it, then a discussion titled "2008 Dodge Challenger" is probably the wrong place for you.

Negative opinions are fine; trying to beat others into agreeing with those opinions isn't.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Never said it had a thing to do with being a practical car for the family. Heaven only knows where you picked that up from. I am from the era of the real muscle cars. The idea was to get weight and size down on the car, with beast of engines in them. The cars came in two flavors. One was the base engine and price, while you could buy the performance engine and other elements to add to the muscle car. The basic cars paid the bill for production so that the muscle car could exist. The Mustang is a modern day example of such.
    -Loren
    I do like the looks of the Challenger, then and now. And if people like the larger size and limited production Hemi, which will be costly, so be it. Actually, the original Challenger, AMX, Camaro, 'Cudas in final years of production, are all pretty hot!
    -Loren
    Been there - done than, lived in the 60's. Off this thread - enjoy - goodbye!
    -Loren
    Actually, the original Challenger, AMX, Camaro, 'Cudas in final years of production, are all pretty hot!

Are you referring to these car's final year of production as being "pretty hot"? Well the Camaro Z28/SS were pretty hot when they got canned in 02, but the original Challenger, AMX and Cuda, in their last year of 1974, could hardly be considered "hot" - lukewarm, maybe, at best. The 1974 models of these cars, while decent for the day, were hardly the ground-pounders of the originals, especially when you remember the 390 AMXs and 440 and 426 Hemi Challengers and Cudas...
  • quicky1quicky1 Member Posts: 1
    i have my challenger 27 years now and its one off three build en sold on the Champ Elisee in France 1970
    simca/chrysler build him in europe en sold him
    im second owner and he almost finish a big restauration from 4 years
    it still has original engine 383 high performance and electric windows 34000 km
    is there anybody who has intrest in this car??
    or shall i keep it for much more money later
    the told me that i can get a 150.000$ for the car
    or is that a indian story
    here in the Netherlands the dont pay a lot for claccics
    hope to here from some one
  • forgekiller1forgekiller1 Member Posts: 7
    OK but 30 years later in design ,YOU THINK. Back then , the Challenger ,Cuda easily took the prize in design next to the stang,camaro of the same year. Apples to Oranges in Design years later,again the Dodge wins. It's all a matter of flavor and the Promotional aspect. Dodge lost here because of massive
    false propaganda against them as they continue to get. Chrysler HAS the Designs, others copy. period. On a different note , Don't be too hard on Dodge, remember,THEIR engines helped win the war with Japan when they sent the A-BOMB on that B-29 Superfortress. But now alls we have to do is power those Japanese cars with with Chrysler , we'll work on that one ! Thanks, SEE YA! :)
  • mopar_rickmopar_rick Member Posts: 16
    I like your way of thinking forgekiller1. I think that we should take our B-29's (now B1's) and bomb the Japanese car plants that have invaded our country. They say that they are American car companies but do they expect to believe their propaganda? Apparently, many Americans have bought into the idea. Where do you think that all the profits go??? What happened to baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Dodge (I took liberties here)? It didn't say anything about sushi.

Anyway, back to the Challenger. Has anyone heard anything from Chrysler in the last 6 months? I haven't heard a word other than it will come out in 2008. Will we be able to put our orders in this year? I've been waiting for this car for a couple years now. We know more about the Camaro and it's coming out in 2009.

Chrysler forever.
    Sorry if any of you didn't understand the last sentence, I meant Dodge Powered B-29 Superfortress, CHRYSLER RULES!
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I watch Barret-Jackson Auctions,And you car would probably go for 50-75000 American dollars.If it had A HEMI,then you could get maybe the 150K.
    Good Morning Kirstie,
    Although not a Dodge Fan, I am very much interested in this "Muscle Car" and ALL "Muscle Cars", always have, always will! All my Posts are not, and will not be negative, as I am extremely happy that the "Muscle Cars" are finally coming back with a vengeance! Personally I am a Corvette Fan, again, always have been, and always will be! I've seen this car in a video and really liked it's looks, only problem I have is the same with the new Mustang, too close to what it originally looked like, and I like change, with a great deal of old styling involved, not completely though! This car and the Mustang are almost identical as the originals! But Please do not misunderstand, just the thought of having all these GREAT vehicles coming back, with huge HP is an AWESOME achievement, one I would love to see continue! I never thought I would ever see this day ever again, almost like time backed up 30 years! I just hope you do not take this as disagreeing and attempting to sway others opinions to my way of thinking! I grew up back then, you couldn't sway anyone's opinion then, and doubt you could sway anyone's opinion now! I really do enjoy hearing and talking about what it will do, and what can be done with these memorable vehicles!!! :}~ Thanx for reading this, and hope that you see my point!
    Thanx Again,
    C2456Ron
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    No, that's great - I like your enthusiasm! I was only talking about folks who seem to come in here for no other reason than to tell everyone that the Challenger is a POS (repeatedly) :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Just wanted to say that I was at the Detroit Auto show last Sunday, man that convertible Comaro looks good. But I am still sticking to the Challenger, did anyone else visit the show.
  • ed3779ed3779 Member Posts: 1
    i was too young to enjoy the cars of the period but i do think that they are thinking in the right direction,i would love to see this car in a t/a sytle with the pin striping and spoilers both front and rear. I would also like to see the rebirth of other cars of mopar's past glory the roadrunner, the aar barracuda,the gtx,the duster/demon unlike it was in the 90's and more styled toward its old looks and v 8 motors
  • hfish1212hfish1212 Member Posts: 14
    To actually sell them, they'll have to meet the price points of the current retro mustang. Why not make it cheap? Also, I wish they could put some of the old stuff back, like bumpers (crazy but would make the car look lighter), split tail light (or at least put the white part between instead of one long red tail light). And then, as the model years progress, change it up offering the crazy stripes and circular tail lights.

I've driven the 440 and the sound could not be beat. Must say the current retro challenger design just makes me want to buy an original 70-72 version and upgrade the handling and brakes. Vanishing Point white of course :)
    HEY GUESS WHAT,
    They start production in Brampton,Ont Sping 08 :):):)
    The wait for the release of this killer rod is just going to kill me. ;) It's getting pretty hard to keep my focus on anything else these days, All I can think about is having the pleasure of driving one of these bad boys, and being able to park it in the garage. :shades:
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Recent news has Daimler selling or just auctioning off the parts of Chrysler to the highest bidders. So still think this bath tub on wheels is going into production? I'm still betting the answer is no.
    On the contrary dialm4speed, they (Daimler) just released information that they are indeed going ahead with this bathtub on wheels and production will start in spring of 08'. They will be building them at the Brampton, Ontario plant, and the clock is now literally counting down to the start date. Cheers Bro. :shades:
    I had read that over a year ago, and was quite pleased. That was put out just after the Auto Show, I forgotten which one now, but just after the show, they allowed some Magazine to take it for a ride, to local California known hangouts for car nutz!

They even took it to an ALL Challenger hangout, and most of the people were drooling over the new one!!! The car as shown on the street was the one and same as at the show, with the big 22" tires & wheels, which turned out to be much too large, and they would hit the body even on a speed bump.

They asked the guys showing it NOT to take sharp corners, boot it, or anything that would twist the body all out of shape, or the vehicle would get too bent twisted out of shape it would more then likely tear up the body! Even taking a very mild corner into a Hangout that got the body so twisted out of shape, the tires DID hit hard against the fenders, and wheel wells!

Not that I am a MOPAR Fan, but a Real Car Nut, really enjoyed the video, and almost wet my pants seeing another Muscle Car that would be hitting the road again! I guess you would have had to have grown-up in that era to have the feelings I had about watching this thing out on the streets, with a 425 HP Hemi in it (as the article read)!

I am extremely happy for ALL the MOPAR Lovers out there, that would be getting one of their best babies back in their greasy little paws! :shades: These cars were a real part of History, and went like H***!!! :shades: :D

Good Luck with them, and I only wish that they were already hitting the streets! I am truly Happy for all the MOPAR Lovers, and can not even put that into words!!!

I just hope that D/C's thoughts of selling off their shares in Chrysler, will not hurt the Production of these AWESOME CARZ!!! Good Luck Folks!!!

Ron
  • js23rfc7js23rfc7 Member Posts: 1
    Just an opinion about the 2008 Challenger

I'd like to buy one.... however..... the experience would be much more enjoyable if the following was considered.

1.) It was communicated by Dodge that a special performance version like the 1970 Challenger RT was an option. All I've seen so far in the cars marketing is a parallel to the base Challenger - sorry but that is not going to get my money. Build an RT for the "too much is not enough crowd." Also, have a way to buy one special order - I know what I want, I should be able to order it, not explain to someone at the dealership what the car even is to begin with. I should be able to build it online.

2.) Call it what you will but three base motors to choose from just won't be enough. An SRT-8 or SRT-10 should fit under that long sexy hood with a shaker option as well. How about a 528 hemi?

3.) The gauges are all wrong as well as the stereo. This is a big oversight for two reasons: The RT version had an option for rally gauges instead of that droopy speedometer hanging down the left side of the steering column. The rally gauges would include a tach in the dash and would all be symmetrical. Maybe they will have the proper rally gauges as an option for the SRT8 or RT version... one can only hope.

4.) The stereo is all wrong in that the cheese of the "designer" dash cut out will be hell in the long run. I know, I've heard it all that the "new" stereo options are better and that you won't be tempted to upgrade - The simple fact remains that you will eventually wear out the deck or it will break in time (CD skips, volume nob gets scratchy, etc.) Then you have an ugly double din space to fill in the dash with only a cheezy aftermarket insert to make an attempt at closing it back up into something short of an open crater big enough to show all the under dash wiring harness... yuck!

Here is the car I'd sign up for:

2008 Challenger RT
    528 Hemi engine (dreaming)
    Shaker Hood
    6-speed HD Pistol grip manual stick
    Bullet proof rear end differential (3.91)
    18" Rally wheels
    Plum Crazy or Mood Indigo Paint
    White leather interior
    Rally Gauges
    Rim Blow steering wheel

Then I'd go hunting for Z06 vetts, ZL1 camaros, Shelby with the B.S. 20k "market adjustments", and anything foreign.

;)
  • ronan5ronan5 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody heard what planned production capacity will be? IF it's 10,000 - 15,000 per year like the Mustang GT500, they'll be selling for $10-15k over MSRP as well.
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    I hope they jettison that radio. I was looking for an old style dash, not a '50s retro diner look. But then, it might be so unpopular it will drive the price down.
  • old69rtold69rt Member Posts: 1
    Take if from an ‘old-timer’ that once you actually purchase the car issues like gauge placement and stereo will become secondary. First and foremost are exterior styling and brute performance.

I purchased a new ’69-Hemi Roadrunner only to sell it because me wife was afraid to drive it, followed by a ’69 Charger RT which she actually liked. Both of the cars were awesome performers in stock factory configurations and very easy to modify if you were looking for that extra edge, and of course hind site being what it is, I certainly would like either or both of the cars back.

Your concerns of gauge placement and stereo are valid however the proof is in the 'pedal' and when you put it to the floor at 50 mph and grab 2nd gear you want to look in the mirror and see rubber on the road.

Word on the street is that the new ’08 will carry a price tag somewhere around 31k and there could be a performance super-stock 392-hemi (525 hp/510 pound-feet of torque) in the works priced somewhere around $???.

The new and the old, it is true somethings do get better….
  • eric8190eric8190 Member Posts: 1
    The current mustang is so hot, and the upcoming camaro looks awsome too, but I just dont see what all the hype is about this car. This dodge is soooooooo UGLY. Atleast the mustang and camaro are retro designs with a modern execution of style, but this thing is just a rehashed version of the past and is downright ugly. Now Im sure the performence will be spectacular, but unless they fix this design, I dont see why anyone would buy one over a mustang or camaro.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case at least, your opinion of the Challenger seems to be WAY in the minority.
This discussion has been closed.