Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Real World MPG

Comments

• durangojaydurangojay Member Posts: 31
    Thanks and hopefully Mr. Trooper will have nothing to do with me. Post later. Jay
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    In an act of desperation I have tried regular gas (on the 3rd tank). Much to my amazement and complete lack of understanding.....my MPGS are 1-2 better. What the heck is going on? Same gas station....same (Ish) driving cycle...etc.
    I'm lost....I worry that a warranty repair will have them check the fuel and bust my stones about the gas....but I just don't get it.
    Well I have completed half of my road trip to Boulder, co. I switched gas( still premium) and added the STP gas treatment before I left. No tickets , thank God. Now onto the important stuff! Mpg, overall, was 23.2. Not quite what I was expecting, but within my acceptable range. Was driving 70-85mph, with occasional bursts to 100-110. So I'm not too disappointed. Stay tuned for the return trip stats.
    I will continue to use other premium gas from new stations to see the effect.
    As to using lesser gasoline, I'm not doing it b/c the gas fill door/Manual says exspitcitaly (sp) () premium ONLY. That's my opinion. And I want all the power my car has available to it. That's why I bought it! Safe travels... Jay
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    So I have said this before, people posting their real MPG is rather useless unless they provide more info, such as the style of driving and driving environement. Also they shoudl post their ave MPH for that MPG since that gives a clue as to how much real moving was going on vs. stop and go. Having that info woudl make for more logical comparisons. Especially since G owners tend to be heavier in the throttle and the 07 did nto help with that FULL THROTTLE like acceleration.
  • mtmikeymtmikey Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 G35S and in town here in Atlanta I get only about 14 MPG. Luckily for me I don't drive a lot. I have had the car well over a year now and only have 8800 miles on it, so as you see MPG is not that big of an issue for me. I tend to drive agressivly in town since I love to run this car so much.

On the highway, its a different story. Going on trips up to and from Louisville, KY my mpg has been around 21-22. Very good to me, once again running the car out a bit. : ) :)
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Thanks mtmikey! I am in ATL as well, I drive 18 mile commute in some light traffic, usually going about 45MPh with a bunch of lights throughout. I average 28-30MPH on a tank and usually get 22MPG. 14MPG would not be acceptable to me, but 19-20 would be. 21-22 on HWY seems low as well. I know the G revs about 600RPM more at 70 than my Acura does so I see how it can suck gas.
    I drive the same scenario and the same way for the most part. I actually find the average speed completely useless as 35 MPH for an hour will give you the same # as 70MPH for 30 mins....and stopped DEAD in traffic for 30 more. Too many variables.
    I still have no clue why I get better mpg on reg than premium from the same station with the same horrible ethanol in it. :confuse:
    Well my trip back from Boulder was a disaater-lieratally. Hydoplaned off the road, spun twice down an embankment and into a treet. Multiple thousands of dollars in damage. No airbag deployment. Don't get that. But I was unhurt as the vehicvle took most of the force. But she will be out of commiission for a good month getting repaired. BTW my mpg up to that point was 23.3 for the whole trip until the accident. Sad ending, but I'm alright.
    holy [non-permissible content removed]. how fast were you going? Is yours an X? That sucks...I hope you weren't staring at the mpg thing....I don't leave mine on "Instant" as I almost rear-ended someone once playing with it : ( Glad you're OK.
    Only going about 50mph, but it was raining like hell and yes, I do have the X. But all the electronics in the car (world) couldn't stop this thing or control it. It took a tree. Thank God I have amazing insurance with a very low deductible, so I'll be back on the road in about 3-4 weeks. FYI, I was just driving along listening to the radio...then...WHAM off road into tree. Thank God I walked away....Thanks for the concern...Jay
    At least we can conclude the car is built well and safe. I crashed my old TL very hard and was 100% unscathed other than a mark on my wrist form the airbag pushing my watch. I praised that car for it's safety afterward...it was like 16k in damage. Nice to know these expensive cars live up to safety standards.
    Absolutely!!! I don't care about the damage. We have a spectacular body shop here in Durango, CO and they will make her good as new I am sure. And I have great insurance with a low deductible, good decision there. But I am grateful that the carsh crumple zones worked well to keep me safe and sound. I'll repeat, I am VERY surprised that the airbag(s) did not deploy, but maybe I wasn't going as facst as I though when I hit the tree. It sure felt like they should have deployed!! But at $1,400 a pop, I guess I'm glad in a way they did not. I wouldn't be surprised if they damage bill was in the same neighborhood as yours - 15-20K. I don't think it's totaled. But what do I know? The body shop will have to tell me what is up. I was protected, that's for sure. I got a nice Dodge Durango for free to use until the vehicle is repaired. Should be 3-4 weeks, I'm thinking. Thanks, Jay
    By the way, for what it's worth now...I was getting about the mpg I was expecting out of my car (my dear banged up car!)...23.3...oh, I stated that above. Sorry. Anyway, it could have been higher if I had not run the car a bit now and then and used the cruise to max advantage...as reccomended on this site...thanks...Jay :sick:
  • luckylockyluckylocky Member Posts: 3
    I've been averaging around 24.4 MPG on my new G35x mainly on highway, using cruise control at 60 MPH. It's slow but i am trying to break in the car slowly and to improve MPG. When driving in city, i am using the sequential sport shift more often. I wonder if that would improve the MPG versus using automatic?
    In my opinion, using the SS will help with your mpg, IF you shift quickly to higher gears. I believe this has been stated on this thread earlier. However, an argument can be made for "why bother". You could just drive in the city in regular drive mode and let the car do the work for you. Personally I like stirring the pot myself. It's more fun and it keeps you involved in the driving experience. I think your highway mpg is pretty good compared to what I get - 23.3. But I drive at higher speeds than that and use my manual shifting for the drive. I'll bet that if I used drive mode and cruise control ALL the time, I could squeak out a bit more out of each gallon. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your new model? Do you have the Sports Package on it? Nav? I paid $37,250 for mine almost exactly a year ago in Denver, no Sports Package, no Nav., custom SIRIUS sat. radio (better than XM imo). Plus they paid for my flight from Durango to denver and cab fare to the dealership. I thought it was a fair deal. Safe driving...Jay :sick:
  • pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    2004 @29K miles. Auto.

None of us bought this car for fuel mileage, driving in snow, or hauling a lot of passengers and stuff. Nor did we expect it to be among the fastest on the road.

Dollar for dollar, this car does a lot of things exceptionally well. And day in and day out it is pleasantly functional for what it is. Slap on some Blizzaks and it can be driven year round, albeit with a serious degree of conservative driving.

One poster said it best when he suggested taking an uninterupted highway trip over 100 miles, stick it on cruise at the speed limit, and then report back. His point was simply this. The car can achieve reasonable if not surprisingly good highway fuel mileage.....altitude/grade, low temperatures, and ethanol content notwithstanding. If you can't coax a highway 26 MPG out of this car, you need not look any further than your right foot and driving habits.

Those of us who report 27-28 MPG highway are not pulling your leg. Last month on a vacation to the White mountains of NH, my wife and I got a round trip highway average of 27. My SIL and daughter followed us with 2 passengers and luggage in his Nissan Quest, and he got 25! He was amazed and finally had to admit that THE MILEAGE PROBLEM WAS HIM!

Fooling around on the mountain twisties, brief blasts to 120, and simply enjoying the car while "there," was a different story. Sure, I got 13 mpg, easy. And it sure was fun doing it.

21 mpg in mixed conservative driving is normal for me. Pure around town mpg with traffic makes 18 mpg a moral victory.

Stop worrying about the fuel mileage and start enjoying what you paid $39K for.

Jack
    I think you're right, Jack. Ease off a bit and watch it creep up.
    Thanks, Jay
    I should mentiom that I did, indeed, buy mine to drive through the snow. I live at about 6600ft above sea level in Colorado. I can attest to two things: The X drives great in the snow w/o snow tires (although a set of Blizzaks wouldn't hurt) and two, that my mpg in inclement weather doesn't flucuate much from normal driving. Great car...can't wait to get it back from the body shop. All clean and shiny and new.... :sick:
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    10500 miles -- last fillup 19.9 mpg mixed driving for those who keeping track on this MPG page.. under 18 for the life-- using 87 octane these days -- gas will make its way back toward the 4 dollar level as these gulf storms hit the coasts (btw anyone notice the price of crude hovering around the 100$ level over 40% off the highs).and gas is still going higher-- kind of funny. Sure the price in DURANGO Co will soon follow the east coats levels. Thanks for the e-mail Pat hope and keep up the great work.
  • takeflighttakeflight Member Posts: 11
    I have to say that so far I'm fairly happy with the MPG on my new G35x. I'm averaging 21.4 MPG over the first 600+ miles on my G. What I do realize is that I'm still in the break in period and I haven't applied the lead foot yet (well at least not like I will after the break in period). I'm sure the MPG will drop some once that happens. I had been averaging around .5 to 1 MPG higher on my 2003 G35 that I traded in for my new 08 G35x. So, not that much of a difference really.
    I can't recall if my 04 G Coupe has a "required" octane rating or a "recommended" octane rating of premium.......have to check the manual. That being said, I downshifted to 89 octane from one of the premium grades for about 6 months this year and did not see a change in fuel mileage. Went back to premium grade about a month ago since the gas prices dropped. I suspect performance with the lower grade fuel suffered, but to what extent is anyones' guess. Nonetheless, I didn't experience any detonation on the lower grade fuel as the engine management system must have correctly retarded the spark, preventing it.

Someone else commented on their G's gas tank capacity @16 gallons !?! The 04 Coupe is rated at 20 gallons. I put in as much as 18.5 gallons a couple of times (miles to empty read --- or 0). But I stopped running the tank down when another poster noted that the fuel pump depends on fuel to remain cooler during operation.

My wife is back to driving the car daily (mostly highway), so I am happy to report that the fuel mileage plummeted back to 21 mpg from the pure 26+ highway I previously reported from our vacation last month. The lower fuel mileage she gets is worth the price because I can tease her about her lead right foot. Her response is: "I paid for the horsepower and I am going to use it, all of it!"

Enjoy,

Jack
    I know for sure that on my '07X that it is "required" so a) I don't feel I have a choice and b) I want all the performance I can get out of that sweet engine. It is nice, isn't it. P.S. It is still going to be a few weeks before I can report on MPG since the estimate for repair is 3-4 weeks and 16-17K. Ouch. :sick:
    First, I am glad you were not injured. The car can be replaced. You can't. I'd make sure the air bag system is checked while the car is in for repair. If the impact with the tree was frontal, you would have expected the air bags to deploy.

Also, thank you for sharing the crash scenario with us. A lot of us assume all cars are created equal with regard to crash safety, or we give that aspect little weight when selecting the car.

Can you share what brand and size tires you have, as well as the tread remaining? Hydroplaning in real world driving is a fact of life; and many of us who opt out of Summer tires when it is time for replacement are in the hunt for an acceptable compromise, willing to give up some dry pavement grip for an increase in better inclement weather performance.

I started another thread on winter tires since @ 30,000 miles my OE Michelin PS Summer tires are cooked, and in New England we get snow. Main Topic: INFINITY G35 COUPE Subtopic: G35 Coupe in the snow. . This winter I can't just garage the car and will have to use the G Coupe as a daily winter driver for the first time. I would appreciate it if you and others would share your winter driving impressions, especially those that have switched to either an all season tire or a dedicated set of winter tires.

Again. Glad you are intact and that the car can be repaired.

Jack
    I don't want to deviate too far from the thread here, but to my recollection the tire were Goodyear Eagles. OEM on the car when I purchased it. Yes, it was frontal and yes I'm going to have the system checked before I take it back. I have also called Infiniti to register a complaint. It should have deployed. If I need to replace any tires, which I don't know yet, I'm definitely going to go with some that are geared towards wet/snow weather, since I run them year round. Perhaps my MPG will actually go up...j/k.
    Thanks for your well wishes. I'm sure she will be good as new when repairs are finished.
    Jay :sick:
  • codeman60codeman60 Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 08 G35x (prem/nav/wood trim) for 2 months. I'm running Shell 93 octane in a semi-hilly area, about 40% highway, the rest is city/rural roads. I'd consider myself a slightly faster than normal driver - only a few rabbit starts, even fewer rapid stops. I do enjoy letting it loose some, but my normal mode of driving is fairly relaxed, though I'm usually 5-10 MPH over the posted speed.

My averages over 1659 miles and 5 fill ups:

Based on the computer - 20.3 MPG @ 31.7 MPH
    Based on mileage, computer time, and gallons bought - 20.2 MPG @ 28.8 MPH

Given the EPA combined estimate of 19 MPG, I can't complain.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    so are you comfortable with the accuracy of the trip computer vs. actual?
    Karen, I think those are GREAT numbers, given how you say you drive. I wish my number where as high as that! I'll be interested in what your numbers are on a long highway trip. My bet is 24-25 MPG, which would be great. BTW, I think the gas you are using is some of the best out there, from my experience. Unfortunately we not have any Shell stations in my small town. Thanks for the info. Jay :sick:
    Jay, I'll be curious to see some trip averages myself. 24-25 MPH seems possible, and I'd be happy with that. I've never used Shell before, but I decided to switch to it when I got my G35x. I don't know if it will help the engine any, but an extra buck or two on each tankful seems like a good gamble. Sorry to hear you don't have any.

Yes, I'm happy with the computer accuracy, paulo6. I've never had a car that was within 0.1 MPG of my calculation. I just noticed that I had a 15 hour error on my first fill up (duh!). My earlier 28.8 MPH was wrong. It should have been 31.7 MPH. Come to think about it, that number is meaningless, as it is based on the computer's mileage and average speed. It should always match the computer (duh!).

I have noticed that if I top off the tank, the MPH will be a tad bit lower than the computer on an individual fill up. If I simply stop when the station pump cuts off, the MPG has been accurate to within 0.1 MPG. I suspect that this means the computer bases it's calculations on the useful capacity of the tank (actual volume minus the space needed by the fuel to keep the fuel pump submerged minus the remaining volume when the station pump cuts off).
    My 04 Coupe's owner's manual lists a fuel "recommendation" of 91. It does not say "required" as you might find in higher performance vehicles. It says 87 can be used, the tank should only be partially filled, and a return to 91 octane as soon as practical. It also advises moderate acceleration habits when using the lower grade fuel, specifically warning about what we all like to do......tromp on it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I ran 89 when the gas prices topped $4 per gallon. I did it for a period of a couple of months, and the fuel economy remained at least THE SAME. Perhaps the fuel prices toned my driving down a bit. I'm back to 93 because that is the next octane above 89 available in name brand gas that is marked "premium" in my neck of the woods.

But many posters wonder what impact the drop in fuel grade actually has on performance. The 04 Coupe owners manual says 91 for max performance. So how much does the performance actually drop off with a reduction in octane? I've never seen this tested or measured in car mags, etc.

My wife was reading up on the new Hundai Genesis (worth a look) on the Hundai web site. Under the specifications section (I believe) it provided both horsepower and torque for the standard V6 and optional V8, for "premium and regular" fuels. I was amazed to see the two ratings.....never saw that before for ANY car.

Guess what? With a drop to "regular fuel", hp and torque fell off about 5 each, not much on a V8 cranking out horsepower in excess of 350 (on a Hundai! Don't quote me on the 350, I think it was actually higher!).

It has been written that the higher octane fuels don't do what you might assume, boost performance noticeably. The Hundai specs confirm this. Octane's primary purpose is to prevent detonation during the combustion cycle. That's it.

So using an octane higher than "recommended" or "required" by the manufacturer does nothing more than drain your wallet because there is no appreciable gain in either fuel economy or statistical hp/torque ratings. If you think about it, 5 hp on a base of 280 hp (the 04 Coupe) is about 1.7%. On your newer Infinity which probably has 306-337 hp, the percentage is less!

Wish some lab rat would jump in here and add some statistical fact to our anecdotal discussion.

Jack
    Re the hours and average mph, we need to confirm when these figures are being accummulated on the Infinity. When the engine is running (certainly), when the ignition switch is merely on accessory (engine not running), or both.

I have a wife, so sitting in a parking lot at a mall with just ignition on just the accessory position and listening to a ball game is not uncommon. ;) Of course, I'm sitting in row Z99 about 200 yards from the door to avoid door dings. Would probably save on fuel if I parked closer. :D

Jack
    Engine running except for possibly 5-10 minutes out of the 52 hours. Except for pauses in traffic, at red lights, and during startup, I don't spend any time idling.
  • 1nickatnite11nickatnite1 Member Posts: 16
    Last fill up I got 22.3 MPG wit 80% highway and 20% city. Been using only 91 and the car just broke 1100 miles, hopefully it keeps getting better! :P
    409 mile trip from boston to nyc and back.. cruse engaged for half the trip of mostly highway miles.. avg 22.8 (23 on the trip computer) . I tryed to run the tank (93 octane)completely out as the warning light went on, I have noticed that the warning light goes on when there is 3 gallons left in the tank. I ran the car for 25 miles with the light blinking and the scary **** showing up on the nav screen-- filled up and put in exactly 18 gallons -- why does the screen go blank when there is roughly 50 miles left on a tank?? on long cruses this car is terrific
    sweendogy........Your experience with fill-ups and the is pretty much the same as mine. The 04 Coupe has a (stated) fuel capacity of 20 gallons. When the low fuel warning light goes on, the tank will take on about 16 gallons. At distance to empty-------, it will take about 18 gallons to fill, meaning you still have some fuel in there.

My mechanic advised not to run the tank down to ------- which is 0 miles to empty. The in-tank fuel pump uses the fuel to remain cool. Other than make sure you never run out of gas, that may be the reason for all the advanced warnings (light and DTE).....to protect the fuel pump. If you ever had to get a new fuel pump in a car where the gas tank has to be dropped to replace it, you many want to think twice about running the tank down to DTE-------too many times. Expensivo!

Jack
    durangojay......hope your car has been repaired successfully by this time.

You noted you live in Colorado at an elevation above sea level of 6,600 feet. You might find some interesting information in your owners' manual under "Fuel Recommendations." There is a subsection about operating the vehicle above 4,000 feet......at least there is in my 04 Coupe manual.

Jack
    durangojay or anyone......

My 04 G35 Coupe's owners' manual states a fuel recommendation, not a fuel requirement. Is that because the 306hp and 330hp engines actually require a higher octane rating? Could you check your owners manuals on that?

Thanks,
    Jack
    JACK--thanks for the post..interesting stuff -- i still think 2-3 gallons of gas should not be considered a low tank--i hear you on the fuel pump issues . ..thanks for your input and durango lives in Co.. he crashed his car and got its being fixed in --wait for it--Durango Co.. loner car-- a dodge durango--hope that helps
    At the risk of going off thread...my car is almost ready. Thursday or Friday hopefully. It has taken about 21 man-hour working days to repair. No major frame damage, which is good. Thanks for the great posts. I get nowhere near what you guys are getting in city MPG. Will continue to post MPG after I get the car back. And yes, I really did get a Dodge Durango rental loaner covered under insurance. Weird, but true. p.s. Cannot wait to get back in that sweet ride! :sick:
    Congrats ! ! !
    Look at it this way....after that durango...you'll enjoy your G's MPG lol
    You are spot on, John. I just read most of the recent posts. Some responses: I will be switching to a tire, year round, that is more geared toward wet/slush/snow. I will give up a bit in performance, but feel more secure. Also, thanks for the heads up about the fuel recommendations section in the manual. I don't have it now, obviously, but will check it out when I get the vehicle back. Perhaps I will be switching octane grades after all this. However, I seemed to have been getting excellent performance so far with a premium grade. Stay tuned. :sick:
    First, your journey is nearly complete and the car will be back in your hands Friday.....great news.

Second, I was wondering if at your altitude of 6,600 feet above sea level that the altitude and rarified air has a negative impact on the fuel economy. Engine management systems can and do adjust the fuel/air mixture to accommodate for the reduced oxygen in a given amount of air by adjusting the fuel component. This is more of a "protection" adjustment to prevent detonation and control engine operating temperatures. But completely overcoming or compensating for the reduced oxygen content? I don't think so. I would expect fuel economy and acceleration stats to be adversely affected, regardless. Someone who knows more about this stuff than I do.......help us out here.

Finally, if you are looking for an all season tire replacement instead of snows, you may want to read my thread on the G35 Coupe in the snow. Main Topic: INFINITY G35 COUPE Subtopic: G35 Coupe in the snow. Guys with RWD and AWD Infinities and other makes have responded with their experiences and recommendations, some tire brand and tire model-specific. I have a RWD Coupe, live in MA. (snow), and am looking to switch to an all season alternative myself.

Have spent considerable time on the NTB website reading tire owner survey opinions, 13 different road condition stats, and expert road tests with a concentration on Infinity and BMW owners' experiences.

My choice at the moment is the Bridgestone Potenza 960, and about 100 pounds in the trunk during the winter snows. While winter tires would be optimal, I can't bring myself to dedicating a $1,400+ set of rims and tires to accommodate the half dozen days a winter where I might get 6+ inches and road crews falling behind. Then I have to buy a new set of tires $900+ next March for the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

At the rate the G Coupe chews up tires, irrespective of one's driving habits, it is looking like MPG and fuel expense is not far ahead of tire expense on the concern list.

Some folks don't worry about total ownership expenses (taxes, insurance, depreciation, fuel mileage, tires, reliability/repair associated expenses, etc.). Some do.

When you pick up your car, don't forget to bring the searchlight and magnifying glass to examine the repairs. Bring an anal/retentive nitpicking friend along too.....they can be helpful once in a while. ;)
    Thanks for the good words. I do feel that the altitude may have something to do with my reduced gas mileage. Other than look in the manual for suggestions and read helpful posts here, I don't know what to do. The body shop doing the work is absolutely top notch, but I will take your words under advisement. Unfortunately, most of the work performed is WELL above my comprehension. The best I will be able to do will be to check out the paintwork, fit and finish, take it for a drive, etc.
    As I have AWD I am not going to get snow tires, per se. Just something with a little more wet grip. I ran my OEM tires through a horrendously heavy snow year last winter and I was quite pleased with the results. So a small upgrade would be just the ticket. Thanks again. Jay. :sick:
  • clay2000ncclay2000nc Member Posts: 2
    After 70,000 incredibly enjoyable miles...around town between 23-24mpg and on the highway (70-75mph) 27-28 mpg using 89 octane half the time, 87 the other half.
    Yes, but how many tpg (tires per gallon)? Even my Corvette didn't go through tires like this car. :)
    2007 G35x finally back from the shop. Still a couple of minor odds and ends need attention, but she rides like a dream. No more SUV's for me. Unfortunately, mileage is still the crappy mileage it was before, but such it the price of a sports car. I'll definitely trade MPG for performance any day. :shades:
    Gas was probably about 30% more expensive the last time you drove it! :)
    HA! You're probably right! That is at least one good thing out of this! Ahh, the FAST feeling is back!! :shades:
    for those looking to talk mpgs -- last recording is 21mpg mixed driving (80% highway) --just under 11k miles on 2007 G-X
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    I got 2000 miles now on my 2008 G35xS, I drive short distances but once in a while I do longer HWY miles (40+ Miles). Of course I drive the car hard at times like it should be driven. But at times I make it a point to drive extra gently, even coasting a lot in D, but I cannot seem to get more than 300 miles/fill-up (17+ gallons)...that is no where close to the MPGs I am reading about here with NORMAL day-today driving. I use only premium. OK, it is 30 degrees now in Michigan already, but still...

Trip computer averages 16 or so MPG and it seems to be pretty close to actual
    insights??
    First. New car tolerances are tight, very tight. You won't see your car's best mileage until after it's broken in and it has a substantial number of miles on it. I spoke to a retired mechanic yesterday, and he observed that some may not see a car's true "top" mpg until 10,000-15,000 miles, perhaps more. I routinely get over the EPA 26 mpg highway on my 04 Coupe's (30,000 miles on the odometer).

Second. I've read in Edmunds and other places that the best fuel economy for cars lies within the 45-55 mph range. All things being equal, that's primarily due to wind resistance. Above 55 mph, wind resistance takes more than a simple straight line, algebraic toll on fuel economy.....at some point, for example, an increase in cruising speed of 10% will take more than a 10% toll on fuel economy.

That is why a G35 will hit 155 mph (electronically limited) with 280-330 hp. But take off the electronic speed limiter to achieve 200 mph? The G and other cars would need to double the horsepower to gain that last 45 mph! Read Car mags' annual 200 mph shoot-outs. 500 horsepower isn't enough! You can translate that increase in required power and fuel consumption for small incremental top speed drops all the way back to 55 mph.

Third. You are driving an awd vehicle. I would assume that with the extra weight and more moving parts (versus my rwd Coupe), your mileage will always be 5%-10% less than a lighter car rwd G with less moving parts.

Now would be a great time to get a basis point for your car's (highway) mileage. I would suggest you take a 100 mile uninterupted joy ride on cruise at 60-65 mph once the car is warmed up, light or no traffic that would disturb your test. Set the cruise and reset your mpg once at cruising speed and that's it. Leave the accelerator alone! If it becomes necessary to disengage the cruise and then re-engage, stay EASY on the accelerator to get back to speed. I'll bet with your new car that isn't broken in that you'll still see 24mpg or more. Once broken in, the car is very capable of meeting or exceeding the EPA highway number.

In the city, pure city driving, another story. I have to baby my car to get 18-19 mpg. One blast from a stop light and the mileage begins it's plummet. Simple aggressive driving (not all out), and the mileage plummets. I get 15-16 mpg with MY normal city driving style.

The accelerator and your right foot hold the key to higher fuel mileage. I've written in other threads here that fuel octane (91-93 versus 89) has had no discernable effect on my fuel mileage. As for developed horsepower from an engine when changing octanes/fuel grades......Check out the Hundai web site. They provide horsepower and torque differentials for the new Genesis at varied octanes. The difference is surprisingly quite small. Off the top of my head, 1.5-2%!

So if you want to see higher fuel economy figures, the answer is in the break in, speed, vehicle weight, and your driving style.

There is no shame in resisting that accelerator. So few of us, however, drive the G for fuel economy. But it is nice knowing the car CAN achieve the city and highway fuel mileage the manufacturer claims.

On a vacation this past August I got around 27 mpg to get to my destination, and somewhere around 13-14 mph tooling around. My son in law was stunned at the difference and asked what happened. "My right foot, that's what happened." :D
This discussion has been closed.