Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Real World MPG

Comments

• mickeyveemickeyvee Member Posts: 12
    Also, legally, to advertise the highest, most competitive tested HP & performance, they must tell the consumer what they have to do to get it. Otherwise, from advertising/ marketing, it's illegal.

How much performance do you need in stop & go traffic in Chicago??? I'm going 87 :cry:
  • delikiddelikid Member Posts: 1
    I actually have been tracking mine, so I can harrass the dealer who swore to me that the G35 got "great mileage". I've gotten a little bit of fre servicing from them. I guess as long as the salesman works there, I'll work them over on his B.S.ing me! ;)

DATE________MILES___GALLONS__MPG
    05/25/2006____249.8____12.121_____20.609
    05/30/2006____245.1____13.177_____18.601
    06/07/2006____345.7____16.134_____21.427
    06/15/2006____333.4____16.123_____20.679
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    05 G35x 15K Miles, new air filter, semi syn oil, Last road trip totals:

688 miles Avg MPG 26.1, Avg. speed 66.1, Regular unleaded.
    :D Perfect.....
  • jlo_onejlo_one Member Posts: 12
    You need to slow down and reap the rewards:

57mph highway...34mpg

at 70mph highway...28mpg

in the city, if no bumper to bumper around 23mpg. Bumper to bumper is a killer 17mpg.

What we need is a G35 hybrid for the bumper to bumper and stop light driving.

Try slowing down and listen to the music!

jlo
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...You need to slow down and reap the rewards:

57mph highway...34mpg

..granted that is fine, fine fuel efficiency for your G35c..

..but don't you see a lot of abberant behavior (flipped off, folks waving pistols, stuff like that) at 57 mph?

..still that IS great MPG!

..ez..
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    you beat me to it ezshift5. You'd get highway delivery of a hot cup of coffee from me if you drive 57 on the highway... please tell me at least you ALWAYS stay far over to the right side and NEVER in the left lane!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....You'd get highway delivery of a hot cup of coffee from me if you drive 57

.....I guess that qualifies......

..still, most folks could handle hot coffee when the alternative might just be spelled G-L-O-C-K.........

hang in there, 5

..ez..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    Anyone have MPG reports on the new '07 model?

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steve127steve127 Member Posts: 14
    I have purchased new 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey with Premium Package and drove about 400 miles so far.
    I am so disappointed on the city miles per gallon on this car. I am only getting 13.8 miles with very conservative driving habit. The EPA number clearly shows 19 in city but it is no way close to the 19 miles.

I called the sales man and he explained to me that after the break in on 2007 G35, the MPG number will get much better. I would like to believe, but it is not likely true.

I am not expecting 19, but it is 5 miles less that what Infiniti is claiming. I am very disappointed.
    I have seen other post that they are getting much better miles. Does that mean I may be stuck with the lemon.

Steve127 :cry: :lemon:
  • steve127steve127 Member Posts: 14
    I have 2007 G35 Journey and getting the worst MPG.

- First 300 miles - 13.8 MPG with Premium and 70% City and 30% Highway.

- Next 270 miles - 14.3 MPG with Premium and 60% City and 40% Highway

Even though it clearly says 19 in City 25 Highway in EPA MPG some cars are not getting far less than that.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Most vehicle's MPG sucks during the break-in period or longer.
  • tubulustubulus Member Posts: 25
    Choosing between a TL-S and a G35x. The G35x would seem superior, except that the gas mileage is so much worse I'll be paying hundreds of dollars a year extra. What kind of mileage have people been getting after 5000 miles or so?
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Tubulus, I had the same concerns, but after comparing the other amenities in each car, I'm going with the G35x.
    Depending on your style of driving, the roads you travel and the length of your commute, the mileage will differ.

You can expect anywhere between 17 and 25 mpg in the G.
    I got 26 in the TL and a little over 30 while doing 75 on the highway (I had a loaner)... but the G is so much more car for the same price.

I'll take the bite in the wallet at the pump, it's not that bad and worth it in my opinion. (And I do 30,000 miles a year)

I know the feeling I'd have the first time I was sitting in my Type-S and a G whipped by me, or flew off the line in front of me.

Couldn't let that happen, could we? :P
  • cincycarmancincycarman Member Posts: 5
    I just had a saleman tell me that the 07 G35x would get 30 miles/gallon on the highway!
    from what I have been reading it won't even get 23
    SO, whats the deal here?
  • mickeyveemickeyvee Member Posts: 12
    "A customer lies when their mouths move." ...a salesman

"A salesman lies when his mouth moves." ...a customer

;)
  • javaleejavalee Member Posts: 2
    I've used 4 tankfulls now.. I get anywhere from 14 to 16 mpg. In mixed highway/city driving. My bosses 530i gets abt 25 mph going the distance. (yes, I know there is HP difference btw the 2 cars)
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I have the G35x ’07 as well and I get about 18.5MPG for a mixed driving from north philly to south NJ, Mt. Laurel area. We don’t have a real highway here, speed ~55-60MPH w/ stop light every 2 miles or so. I used to get about 19.5MPG on my ’05 G coupe.
  • njg35xnjg35x Member Posts: 3
    I'm on my third tank and only getting 13MPG. It seems like it rev's very high in the 0-20 which kills me with the stop and go city driving. I seriously hope this gets better
  • jaf5460jaf5460 Member Posts: 15
    I have 1300 miles on my 07 g35x , i was getting 13 now i get only 14.9 mpg. I am driving a mix in the suburbs and 45 to 60 mph. I went to the dealer twice, he told me you have a high performance car what do you expect. I told him I expect 19 or 23 on avg. not 15. I thing it is down right false advertising. He told me to get over it. If I would have known this I would have bought something else. :cry:
  • nefariousbcnefariousbc Member Posts: 6
    I have about 1600 miles on mine and I'm getting about 15-17 mpg in pure city driving (avg. probably 30-50 mph ) which I actually consider to be pretty good. But I took a drive from Dallas to Austin (~220 miles) recently and I only got 21 mpg...I was expecting something more around 24/25. I should also mention that I've got the 6MT, although I doubt it makes much of a difference.
  • sundarhpsundarhp Member Posts: 4
    According to the owner's manual, the break-in is at 1200. I wonder if the computer inside is put in some kind of "adoptive" mode for the first 1200 miles.

I am getting 17 on city driving and 21-22 on highway. The engine is just broken-in at 1200. It better start giving me better mileage :-) I must admit I am little disappointed at the gas economy, given that I take it very easy on the gas pedal. But other than that, I am pretty happy with the performance of my 07 G35x.
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    I discovered something new today.
    I own 05 G35 sedan automatic. When I am driving 80MPH on
    a freeway, RPM is around 3000 or very close to it.
    Today, I had my car in for service and had a 06 G35 sedan
    loaner. To my knowledge 05 and 06 have identical engine-280HP for automatic sedan.

When I was driving on the freeway, at 80MPH, I noticed RPM
    was higher than my 05! It was around 3200 or 3300. I think
    that's significant difference. Acceleration was about the
    same as my car.

I know many G35 owners are unhappy about gas mileage. If you
    have one of these models, you should check your RPM. It's
    not a huge difference, but it could be enough for a difference of 2 or 3 MPG on a Hwy.

ocg35man :)
  • g35mcg35mc Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 G35 Sport 6MT with 480 miles on it.

I'm getting about 16miles/gallon with both city and freeway driving every day (mainly stop and go traffic).
    I have a 2007 G35S, I have just over 300 miles on it so far, but I've done 60%hwy & 40%suburb plus I have 2-3 5 minute warm ups in the driveway each day. during the past 4 days. I've filled it up once so far.

I've been keeping a close eye on the MPG and so far I am very satisfied. 23 on the highway, and 20 in the suburbs. I'm averaging 22MPG and that includes about 2 hours sitting idle in the driveway during warm ups and playing around.

When maintaining a speed between 55-75 on a level highway it's getting close to 30 MPG. When the road is a decline it gets almost 40 MPG without loosing speed. because the HP & torque is so much, it doesn't need a lot of fuel to keep it going.

Where the killer of MPG is (naturally) on acceleration, it's definitely a drainer. If I give it minimal acceleration to go up 10 MPH over 1/4 mile of flat land it gets about 16MPG.

If I go into a passing situation and use 1/2 throttle it drops to about 10 MPG but it's for a VERY short time since it only takes about 5 seconds to be doing 10 more MPH.

I think if you floor the car for 5 seconds it costs about 1 gallon! j/k :)

After filling up it stated my range is approx 411 miles. the car has 20gal tank.

I think those that are getting bad gas mileage are driving it very hard even though they don't really notice it, the throttle requirements to get you from 0-45 mph is just slightly above idle. I can hit 45 MPH in about 6 seconds and still maintain 15 MPG, then when I hit 45MPH I can maintain at that speed on average roads getting approx 25mpg. even up slight inclines the car has so much power it doesn't need extra gas to maintain it's speed.

This cars gas mileage isn't bad at all if you drive it like a luxury car. but it can definitely be a hog if you mostly drive it like a sports car.
  • pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    I gave up long ago on fuel mileage with our G35C-Auto. The problem isn't with the car which I learned early on as a passenger with my wife.

1.) She uses the accelerator like an on/off switch. The car has a redline and she's going to use it.

2.) The car cannot possibly go 55 mph or less on a highway.

3.) She uses the Dale Earnhardt method of drafting so that no car or truck can slip in front of her.

4.) Those big brakes with soft pads and thin rotors must be tested at every opportunity, including traffic lights and exit ramps.

5.) Tires? Same as #4 as long as the pavement is dry.

Yes, the gearing is a little low in the G (high numerically). The auto downshifts if you breath on the accelerator, and it holds a gear before upshifting longer than any auto I've ever owned.

Using these driving habits is not a sin. It is a pleasure we all enjoy, so we shouldn't be surprised at 12-14 mpg around town and 20 on the highway. However, jump on a highway for a couple of hundred miles, flip on the cruise, and set the car at 65.....you CAN get 24-26 mpg. Around town, keep your foot out of it, drive the lights, and 16-18 is also possible.

Until that woman/man blasts by you and you fall off the wagon.

I'm not into car bashing so I'm not going to get into mpg comparisons. I do know that the comparison tests in the car mags did get me looking at 3 vehicles....TL and BMW included, and I selected the G. Never regretted the choice, second guessing myself when some of the G's quirks popped up. A friend who chose the Beemer could claim nothing less from his perspective.

I would assume the Lambo and Ferrari folks would never bring up fuel economy as a reason they purchased their cars, and I knew going in that an G's epa ratings, though possible, are not probable given the primary reasons I bought the car in the first place.

The G is what it is. Enjoy!
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    My G35x now has a little over 2K miles. I manage to get about 20MPG in a mix driving city and the suburbs, Philly area, during the past week when I go easy on my pedal.
    I have 1900 miles on the car so far, I have a 21mpg average and that's taking into consideration a minimum of 15 minutes warm-up time each day which definitely has to knock 1-2 off it.

I'm driving about 70% hwy and I do enjoy getting on the car now and then.

On my commute yesterday I drove 121 miles round trip, 70% hwy. and set the ICC to 81 MPH, traffic had me fluctuating between 50-80. I averaged 25mpg on that trip. I had filled the car up the day before and drove only about 5 miles on the fresh tank. As soon as I arrived home I went to the gas station (3mi away) and put in 5.07 gallons. so 121+5+3=129mi/5gal = 25.8mpg. so the system seems accurate and I actually had closter to 26mpg going by the fillup (which I top off each time) And this also had 10 minutes of warm-up time.

I'm thrilled with the MPG for what this car has to offer. :)
    KRing, I want you to know that every time you make a post about your G, it makes my delivery wait that much more unbearable.
    I can't take this anymore.

If I had an exact date, it would be easier.
    "The week of March 30" is too vague and I'm gonna need therapy by the time this is all over. :cry:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    By the time this is all over, you'll be driving your new G and I'll bet anything that will be all the therapy you need. :P

March 30 is a week from today. Does that mean sometime next week? Usually when someone says "the week of" something, that something is a Monday or perhaps a Sunday - but a Friday? How odd!

I understand your frustration, but hang in there!! It's gonna happen! ;)
    Does that mean sometime next week?
    Jeez... I hope so.

And as for the delivery date.... very odd indeed.
    I asked him to confirm that date again and again.
    All I can figure is his sheet says something like "on or around March 30"

I'm happy he found one already on order and not sold yet. That only made it a 2 week wait. The typical 6 week wait would have killed me.
    ~ugh~
    Oh the wait will be worth it! I waited from Oct 26th to Feb 16th. it was originally supposed to be in on Feb 7th and 2 days before I get a call that it didn't make it on the truck and I was given the 16th as the new date. Then I went on a business trip on Feb 9th and get a call that the car "Showed Up" and was in the lot! Doh! Then I'm on my way home (driving) on Feb 13th and get stranded in Pennsylvania in the "Valentines day Blizzard" and was laid up at a hotel just 100 miles away for 2 days!

Point of that story was that, the dealer really doesn't know, it's frustrating to the customer at times, but that's consistently how it goes that they can't really pinpoint the day/time.

I can tell you that all the impatient waiting was worth every second. The car is amazing, and it is the nicest car I've ever owned. It's been 6 weeks and almost 2000 miles and I just love it. And my wife finds the car to be amazing as well and she normally could care less about cars!, she woke up early this past Sunday and snuck out of the house to go get "Starbucks" of course taking the G for 40 minutes! :P She returned with a goofy smile and bright eyes. WOW she said that car is fun to drive! ;)

Patience Grass hopper!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Now don't be telling him your car arrived 9 days later than you expected. He'll have apoplexy! ;)
    LOL
    Let me not be the one to highjack a thread and take it of course, so I'll first say that I'll be happy with anything 20 mpg or above. :P

As for the wife driving, you're a better man than me.
    I have not had a "Brand New" car since I was 18, and the wife will NOT be driving this car anytime soon.
    She has this nasty habit of letting curbs jump right out in front of her, and she's not too light on the gas pedal either.
    I don't want her gouging my wheels while she talks on the phone to friends about the sale she found at the Coach outlet, while spilling Starbucks on my seats at 80 mph.
    "It's just a car", she'll say.

She's not bummed though.
    She's getting my current car, the 06 MDX... which she's always wanted anyway.
  • imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    I too am waiting for delivery of my '07 G35 Journey and was told "the week of April 6th." April 6th is a Friday also. I also found it strange and questioned the dealer. Was told it will probably be in during that week (April 2 - 6).
  • sizarrosizarro Member Posts: 7
    I have the 07 G35x with every option. Driving like a Christian white woman, I'm getting 14mpg. I do like the car; drives great, but, as gas prices creep upward, not sure how long this love affair will last.
    I too am waiting for delivery of my '07 G35 Journey and was told "the week of April 6th." April 6th is a Friday also. I also found it strange and questioned the dealer. Was told it will probably be in during that week (April 2 - 6).

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

That means I may have it this week!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!
    :D
    Warming up the gas card now!

Driving like a Christian white woman, I'm getting 14mpg

I've know some of them... I plan on being easier on my G. :P
  • dceadsdceads Member Posts: 7
    I have 2000 miles now, and my normal commute is all city driving. I am getting 18mpg. I took a 350 mile trip recently that was all highway and I got slightly over 25 mpg.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    can i expect to get high teen MPG for the life of this car ?? i have only 400 miles on it and have driven mostly city but is this the norm?
    City driving costs can be rough, but I've heard from a lot of 07 owners that once it hits 3,500, it's like flicking a switch, and mileage gets better.
    I've averaging 19.3 now, with 50/50 city/highway... and that's with what I would consider 'spirited' driving.
    I can't seem to keep it in "D". :)

I'm still sitting at 2,500 so I expect it to improve in a few months.
  • 99rams99rams Member Posts: 19
    What type of Gas is everyone putting in there 07 G's?
  • vidurvidur Member Posts: 22
    Shell V-Power
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    I have an 06 G35 RWD with AT. 10,000 miles. Driving in the city in a semi-enthusiastic style (quick launches but stay at the general speed of the traffic), with premium gas, I have never gotten better than 18mpg. Most of the time, it's around 16mpg. Even given the performance of the car, I think this fuel economy stinks. My 4,600lb SUV gets better mileage. Less than one year left on the lease, fortunately.
  • alfster3alfster3 Member Posts: 25
    I have about 600 miles on my 07 G35x. I've filled up twice and directly calculated the MPG based on the miles driven since the last fill-up. I've gotten 18.8 MPG on each tank. FWIW, The car's computer has me at 17.6 MPG. This is essentially 100% suburban driving (A/C on) with minimal highway driving.
    I'll post again with highway numbers soon. Hoping the MPG will improve after the next few thousand miles.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    87 - runs fine, consistently 23 mpg.
    Z
  • kandbert1kandbert1 Member Posts: 9
    Have had 07 G35x for a month and half with 2000 miles so far. I get about 17 mgh city. I took my first extended highway drive down to Philly from Northern Jersey about 90 mile one way and I was getting 25.2 mpg. The mileage seems to get beter every fill up. I mistakenly put regular in the tank on my third fillup, I did not notice any performance change but my MPG went down to about 14. I stick to 93 or 93 octane.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    i have had my car now for just over a month and have 700 miles on this puppy- MPG as i stated before was around 16-17 mpg -- i recently got around 19 with mostly highway driving -- now mind you I have yet to really pound on this car yet and have babied it from day one. Things I notice about the car -- it wants to go fast-- prison time fast.. This weekend I will be taking a 200 mile trip -I'm hoping for over 20 -- i put 91 in the car and will continue to do so.
  • rmcneicermcneice Member Posts: 20
    Got about 450 miles on the car now. With a couple of fill up's and a variety of driving (some highway and much street) I seem to be getting about 18 MPG. Not as bad as some others have reported, and hopefully room for improvement as more miles get added onto the odometer.

... and I agree, this car wants to eat the road, especially from a stop sign or red light. That's the hardest problem I am trying to overcome - how to start gently from a dead stop instead of letting the car propel me forward and suck down the gas.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    I have an 07 G35x Prem/Nav/Tech

When I took delivery with 10.5 miles, it read an average MPG of 8... most likely due to the testing done at the factory and the stop and go moving from various transports.

I have a 45 mile commute and it's approx 50/50 city/highway.
    Running strictly 93 octane, I averaged 18.3 MPG while in my break-in period.

Now, I have been enjoying the Manual mode a bit (with some 'spirited' driving) and find my mileage to be staying about the same, in the 18's.

I'm now at 3100 miles, and with my last fill up, I told myself that I would only use the D mode and drive normally.
    I'm not babying it, but I'm not flooring it either.

On my last tank, I just got 22.1 on my City/Highway commute, and I'm averaging 27.7 on the highway. (55 minutes at 70 mph)

All calculations were done through gallons in, miles out mathmatics.

I was told that the MPG would go up when I hit 3500 miles and I'm starting to believe it.
    Summer fuel blend may also be helping as well.

All I know is that if you drive calmly, the car gets very good mileage for what it is.
    It's when you get on it that it gets very thirsty!
    :shades:
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Member Posts: 19
    I'm interested in getting the G35 but I have to admit that I'm wary of the premium fuel recommended. Is there any harm in putting in regular gas? Will it kill the long-term health of the engine? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.