Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Camry vs Corolla

lojefflojeff Member Posts: 29
edited February 2018 in Toyota
I travel 120 miles per day and have 2 children. Would you recommend a loaded Corolla LX or go for a barebones camry?

Comments

• tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    I would recommend a Corolla LE, why would you want to spend almost $2000 more on a car when you could get all the same features on a car thats that much less expensive. i own a 2005corolla S. and it is a great car, i used to own a 2005 Corolla LE, but i had an accident and the car got totalled. and my friend has an 05 camry and seems to be having a lot of problems, i dont have any concerns with my car it is great go for the corolla, and if you want to add a little bit of sporty touch you might want to consider the Corolla S, like i did. thanks- Tiger
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hey anybody give some info to LOJEFF and help us out! :)
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The Corolla has a lot of advantages to i agree with tiger10 that it does have the same features for less. But if you tend to go on long distance trips more i would recommend the Camry, it is extremely roomy and is great for 2 kids (especially when they grow older) After reading reviews i think the Camry and Corolla are both equally reliable. I think you should test drive both cars, and maybe think about the future (if your children are going to grow older, they may want a larger car). I would go for the Camry (but actually i prefer the Accord, but i respect the Camry)
    * another thing is the Camry has more storage space (trunk) so if your kids go to soccer practice or hockey practice you wont have to cram everything into a small trunk- not to say Corolla has a small trunk.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I think they're both great family cars, but it basically comes down to whether or not you need more space or just more car. They both get great mileage, should be reliable, and if you're careful with the options sheet, you can get a Camry LE for under $20k; also remember that the Camry comes standard with ABS while it's difficult to find a Corolla with ABS at all. You should be able to get a basic Corolla LE (air, power windows/locks and CD player but no ABS or side airbags) for about $15k. If you need the lower price and slightly better mileage, go with the Corolla (even tall teens fit in the back seat easily) or if you need more space and probably slightly better safety, go Camry. Test drive both first and see what you like best.
  • martincemartince Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1994 Toyota Rolla. I purchased this vehicle New in Yuma Arizona. With 3 babygirls this was the Family car. Its now 2006, I live in Oxon Hill Maryland and my now senior highschool daughter drives the same toyota she grew up in. At 165K, shes still running strong. Plus get this. I work at the DC DMV Vehicle Inspection Station. A gentlemen came in with a 1994 toyota corolla with 375K miles on the original engine. Still running good and looks clean too. TOYOTA COROLLAS FOREVER:shades:
  • frank0238frank0238 Member Posts: 1
    Corolla is more sporty, better pick up speed, you can take exits at faster speed than camry, its steering wheel is lighter especially compared to Camry 20011 which i rented and drove few days back. I sold my camry 1999 but would say without any doubt it is lighter to drive especially its steering wheel as compared to new 2011 camry. I rented for two weeks toyota corolla 2011 and for two weeks camry 2011 but would say liked corolla drive much more vs camry. Though fuel consumption on log drives is almost same for both cars, corolla gives 34 and camry gives 30 mpg. I kept corolla 1996 for two years and loved it as well as camry 1999 kept for two years loved it too. One major thing which i missed in corolla was that, there was no cruise control therefore in long drive it becomes tiring for right leg. If kid will be sitting on your rear seat than better have camry for more leg space. I am 6 feet tall. I bought camry 1999 @ 84K miles in 2009 and drove it for two years and sold it @ 131K miles. I never had to spent a single buck on its maintenance except routine maintenance line oil ch, brake pads, timing belt change. It is very smooth to drive but did not like 2011 camry drive it felt too heavy that is like accord drive. I am currently renting a 2011 civic from few days but without any doubt would say that corolla 2011 (which i rented few days back for two weeks) drove much better than civic and is more stable, its seating and view is better than civic and less noisy than civic. Felt corolla more comfortable vs civic.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    It was very thoughtful of you to drop in and share your experiences with our members; however, just so you know - you responded to a post from 2006. I suspect that member has made his/her decision by now. :)

No harm... I'm sure your post will be helpful to those currently trying to decide!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• meswnymeswny Member Posts: 1
    Actually, that is just what I was looking for. I am comparing a Camry with a Corolla and I think I am going with a Corolla (as long as the dealer can find one for me! I think it is a little sportier and a little better gas mileage. No kids to cart around so I think it will be perfect for me. thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Camry has better acceleration than Corolla. Corolla, yes, a little better gas mileage.
  • kenny0364kenny0364 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you people like Camry because it is safer than the Toyota Corolla
  • andymoorey2kandymoorey2k Member Posts: 1
    I love this review. I have always got nice recommendations to the corolla. Should I still buy a used Toyota corolla 2000 at this time or it is too old?