Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    How many Older Hyundai's do you still see on the road?

I see quite a few. Even saw a scope a while back.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

That still doesn't change the fact that most cars are stolen to be chopped up and sold for spare parts.

• chrisfordchrisford Member Posts: 55
    wouldn't trust the other two, but would definetely take both over a european car

Wow dude! hold your horses. Are you really that close-minded in your thinking. ToyHon is the by no means the holly grail of automobiles. Take a chill pill and checkout the rest. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a ToyHon, but I don't think they are all that bad, just plain boring. I don't care about resale value, or whatever status ToyHon offers, NOT! Plus, I live in Brooklyn, NY where a ToyHon is parked on every block. Plus, why would I wan't to drive a boring car that requires me to pay higher insurance premium, uses premium gas, and is Brooklyn's, most stolen. I am not bashin TOYHon, it's just that I get a little miffed when folks like post stuff like this. Settle done dude. I will take any European car over ToyHon any day of the week....Chris out!!
    Oh and Fusion, Sonata and Madza6 too
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    So what you think is that Honda's need more spare parts than Hyundai (and that is the reason it's on the most stolen list)? Are you trying to say that Honda's are poorly made, or inferior to Hyundai?
    Please don't put words in my mouth. Just stating the fact that most cars are stolen for spare parts. Anything else is inferred by you.

FWIW I believe the NHTSA has Dodge as the highest, but they use a different method to determine their list. They go by number of cars stolen and manufactured. So that a car where 100k were made and 100 were stolen rates higher than one where 500K cars were made and 200 were stolen.

• travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    Go to KBB. Plug in a 10 year old Hyundai along side of a Honda or Camry of the same class. There is a difference.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    No Honda Accord uses premium fuel; regular unleaded is all that is necessary to get 244 hp (166 hp in I-4).

I get miffed when people post their presumptions without bothering to research them, too.
    Or it could mean that Hondas need more spare parts than Hyundais. Think about that.

You did state this.

They way you worded it, made it seem as if Honda's were not as well made as Hyundai's. Unless needing more spare parts is a positive thing? Well, I guess I was wrong......

Just stating the fact that most cars are stolen for spare parts.
    Yes they are, it relates to the fact that Honda's are very popular on the tuner market to. You stated on the top post that Honda's needed more spare parts. You should also consider the fact that they are the most popular on the tuner market.

I am just questioning your reasoning. You stated that Honda's need more spare parts than Hyundai's. I disagree with that.
  • jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    So you will take a Euro car with ALL their electrical problems and quality assurance problems over a Toyota or Honda, that sure does make a lot of sense. Oh by the way Honda's don't use premium gas! Go Yankees :P
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    My feeling is that when peple buy a Hyundai in the back of their mind they're really wondering if they did the right thing, so to help convince themselves that they made the right choice, they'll say stuff like, "Yeah I bought this Sonata and it's really a good car, no problems, great warranty, blah blah blah" but Honda owners don't feel the need to say anything about their car because they know it's a high quality, refined car built from a company with a proven track record. I think in general, the people who are always saying how great something they bought is, are the ones really unsure and they keep trying to convince themselves and others in the correctness of their purchase. I think they feel if they have another person say to them, "yeah, that was a good choice" then it makes them feel better. On the other hand, people comfortable with their decision/choices have no need to talk about them over and over and try to convince others about the rightness of their decision/choice. Anyway, enough psych talk. So that's why I don't think you'll see a lot of Honda or Toyota forum members talking about the quality or refineness of their vehicles...everyone already knows it. It's the Hyundai owners that are trying to convince the rest of us ;)

Also, just because a car is of the same size, shape, configuration, and has the same features of another car, doesn't mean that it's as refined. You can buy two of anything (printers, computers, speakers, tiles for your kitchen floor, etc) that will all functionally do the same thing, but the reason why one may cost more than the other is because it's the stuff you don't see that makes one better than the other. The smoothness of the transmission, the longevity of the components, the feel of the steering, braking, etc. So again, you can't just look down the option list of two vehicles and if everything matches just go buy the cheaper one and expect it to be the same car. For some people, those things don't matter, and there are plent of 'Kias & Hyundai's for them to buy.

Just like you can go to Walmart and buy an apple or go to local grocer and find one fresh from the tree. You'll eat an apple either way, but they won't taste the same.
    BTW...if everyone says that what I've said is just a bunch of BS that's okay ;)
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I have seen their SEC filings.

What SEC filings have you read? I can't find one for Hyundai Motors in the past 2 years according to Edgar.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    On the other hand, people comfortable with their decision/choices have no need to talk about them over and over and try to convince others about the rightness of their decision/choice.

Yet notice how many Honda and Toyota owners feel the need to (over and over) try to convince the Hyundai owners that their Hondas and Toyotas were worth the price premium. If they were really comfortable with their purchases, wouldn't a simple, "I'm glad you are happy with your Sonata; I think the Camcord was the right choice for me" suffice without all the stuff about Hyundai's financials and the unreliability of Hyundais from 10-15 years ago?

Here is why I think a lot of people are looking at the Sonata. Some people (including me) look for a car to do a certain job. They have specific requirements. For a mid-sized family car, those usually include safety, comfort, decent handling, decent power, lots of people and luggage space, reliable, economical, and maybe good looking (in the eye of the beholder). What I think has happened with the '06 Sonata is that it has crossed the magic "bar" for a large number of mid-sized family car shoppers. Is it "better" than the Accord or Camry, in every respect or even overall? Based on your criteria, maybe or maybe not. But that is irrelevant. What is important is, does the car cross the buyer's personal "bar"? If so, the next question is, how much does it cost? If someone can buy a car that meets their needs for several thousand dollars less than another one that meets their needs, which one will they choose? And if the less expensive car doesn't meet their needs, whatever those are (maybe one of them is that they like knowing their car has a long-term record for reliability, and that is worth a lot of $$$$ to them), then the fact one car costs thousands less than the other is irrelevant.
    Actually I did do that for my car (2000 Elantra with 130K miles) and compared it to a 2000 civic with 130K miles that would have had close to the same MSRP. Guess what, there wasn't much difference around $200.

Again I never said anything other than most cars are stolen for spare parts. Just because you inferred it doesn't mean I said it.

You made some interesting points, I was just wondering if there was a between the lines comparison in image ie; Hyundai=Wal-mart and Honda/Toyota=Norstroms?
    Guys....guys....guys. These Sonata posters have already purchased the vehicle. They are not going to believe they made a bad decision until the vehicle lets them down. They may be lucky and get a couple humdred thousand just to prove they can. When things start to rattle, squeak, and fall off they'll silently dissappear.

If they haven't experienced an Accord or Camry they really can't make valid comparisons. The fact is that statistically (so far) the Accord or Camry will last longer, have fewer mechanical breakdowns, have better fit and finish, less rattles and creaks, etc. etc. And, I mean long term statistics. Not just a couple years.

In reference to your investment analysis, there's always risk in investments. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. Not a good comparison. You could have lost as well.
    #2731 of 2750 Re: SONATA RATED [jpnewt] by snakeweasel United States of America Feb 06, 2006 (1:26 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: jpnewt (Feb 06, 2006 1:22 pm)

Or it could mean that Hondas need more spare parts than Hyundais. Think about that.

This looks more than, "most cars are stolen for spare parts."

I don't see how, "most cars are stolen for spare parts," can translate into, "Hondas need more spare parts than Hyundais."
    My feeling is that when peple buy a Hyundai in the back of their mind they're really wondering if they did the right thing, so to help convince themselves that they made the right choice, they'll say stuff like, "Yeah I bought this Sonata and it's really a good car, no problems, great warranty, blah blah blah"

Maybe its because they did buy a really good car, no problems and it has a great warranty? I say my car is a really good car not because I am trying to convince myself of anything, but because the first time anything went wrong (a bad sensor replaced in a few hours) was at over 130K miles.

My feeling is that Honda owners keep talking about resale value is to justify paying thousands more for something not much, if at all, better.

It's the Hyundai owners that are trying to convince the rest of us

We are trying to spread the truth bro, trying to spread the truth.

but the reason why one may cost more than the other is because it's the stuff you don't see that makes one better than the other.

Not true in a lot of cases. don't fall into the trap that paying more makes something better. Trust me, slap a designer name on something, charge 5 times the price and people will buy it.

Now for someone who just said that Honda owners don't need to talk up their cars you just did a lot of that.

If you want to pay more for the same, go for it. Just don't tell me I am buying junk and trying to justify it. You sound like the guy who goes to a fancy restaurant buys a $25 tough, chewy steak and proclaims "this is the best steak I ever had, much better than your $7.50 tender juicy and tasty one".

I'm a little confused because maybe I think $18,000 is a substantial amount of money. Long term reliability is a major factor in buying a vehicle at any price and that's why I feel more comfortable with Honda. Hyundai while getting better still does not have the history of being reliable. I'm glad some of you have had good luck but there is more negative comments(industry)in my opinion than positive. Warranty is great but you can't drive a Warranty.
    Its there I just read them.

These Sonata posters have already purchased the vehicle. They are not going to believe they made a bad decision until the vehicle lets them down.

Ok I am driving a 2000 Elantra, when will that let me down?

Saying "it could mean" is not the same as saying "it does mean"

Please do not put words in my mouth. All I said was most cars are stolen for spare parts. Anything else is inferred by you.

• cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    For sales occurring from May 1 through Sept. 25, the 2006 Sonata averaged a $19,943 transaction price, according to Power Information Network data.

That also compares with an average transaction price of $20,332 for the Camry and $21,120 for the Accord over the same period, the Power data show.

The average family income for buyers of these three cars is around $70K.
    I'm glad some of you have had good luck but there is more negative comments(industry)in my opinion than positive.

Could you show us where the positive comments are outweighed by negative ones? It really gets me that no matter how many people will say they had no problems with their Hyundai the standard reply is "oh your just one out of thousands". Yet just one person says anything bad and its the standard for the car.

Warranty is great but you can't drive a Warranty.

As far as I was concerned the warranty was useless. I mean nothing went wrong for the first 131,500 miles.

I am not putting words into your mouth.

I just disagree with this statement which you seem to be ignoring. You stated that you did not say anything else. I was simply answering this post.

Well, we're not getting anywhere with this conversation. We can stop.
    Wait a Minute Where's the $8K to $10K difference in price!!!!! You mean everyone's been fabricating numbers!! So then my point where is the Savings in buying a Hyundai?! :surprise: :confuse:
    Bottom line, you get what you pay for. A $7 steak is still a $7 steak. I've never had a really good one.

The Sanota isn't junk, but it sure isn't an Accord or a Camry either. We're not talking about designer cars either. That would be a BMW. Now you're talking thousands of dollars for the name,and their reliability rating isn't that great either.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    snakeweasel: Actually I did do that for my car (2000 Elantra with 130K miles) and compared it to a 2000 civic with 130K miles that would have had close to the same MSRP. Guess what, there wasn't much difference around $200.

Using values from this site, I came up with significantly different results.

The two cars compared were a 2000 Honda Civic LX sedan and a 2000 Hyundai GLS sedan. Both vehicles were in average condition, featured automatic, air conditioning and AM/FM/CD radio and had 130,000 miles on the odometer.

The Honda's trade-in value was $3,250, and the dealer retail was $5,347.

The Hyundai's trade-in value was $913, and the dealer retail was $3,206.

The difference between the Honda and the Hyundai is considerably more than $200. This is much more in line with the prices that I see advertised in the local papers.
    You sound like the guy who goes to a fancy restaurant buys a $25 tough, chewy steak and proclaims "this is the best steak I ever had, much better than your $7.50 tender juicy and tasty one".

And if the Sonata cost three times less as in your steak example, you're right I'd buy it in a second. But what percent does the Accord cost over the Sonata? 10% 20% ???

So in your steak example, I'm paying $10 instead of $7.50 for an Angus burger versus McDonalds. But that's okay. Lots of people buy the cheap $10 T-shirt at Walmart, while others pay $12 at Target and get something softer that will keep the color for a lot more washes.

And for others, the extra 10-20% paid for an Accord or Toyota will more than pay for itself in resale value, or if they keep the car for the long run, pay for itself in less repairs.

And repair cost is an average. I own a '99 Mercury Cougar that has really poor quality ratings. Prior to 100K miles I put about $600 into the car. Post 100K miles I've put in probably $2500 (a/c pump, alternator & some routine stuff). All total in 7 years and 120K miles I've spent about $3000 and I consider myself lucky. But I still am not going to say that my Cougar is the highest quality car out there. I could have spent several thousand more and bought a Celica, but I wanted something with a hatchback and not a small trunk opening, so I went with the Cougar. The point is that this forum isn't statistically accurate, so just because you may have a good history with a car, it doesn't mean that an overall car is reliable. I know my Cougar wasn't the most reliable car, but I was lucky with the amount of repairs. In the long run, if a Toyota Celica had met my needs, after all these years I still would be ahead because a comparable Celica would have cost about $4000 more then the Cougar, and I've spent $3000 in repairs, even if you minus $1000 for inconvenience time when my car was in the shop, I'm still at least even.

But I'm not going to pretend that my Cougar was of the same quality as the Celica.
    I agree, long-term reliability is a major factor for many (maybe most) people when buying a car, especially in this class. What I tried to explain in my last post, about "crossing the bar", is this: For some buyers (including me), the Hyundai reliability record (which is one of the best in the industry over the past five years according to CR, even if it's not yet as good as Honda and Toyota), coupled with the long warranty and maybe with personal experience (or with the experience of friends or relatives), is sufficient to cross the bar. For some buyers, like you, obviously it's not enough, and even the prospect of saving a few thousand bucks up front won't change that.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    We are trying to spread the truth bro, trying to spread the truth.

Just refuting what anybody else says here doesn't make you right. You do realize that don't you?

Plus it seems you're AOK with the cheaper things in life, which is fine for you, but not for everyone else here. The Sonata is cheaper than an Accord EXV6, but nowhere near as refined.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Well said
    Even if it "crossed the bar," the question still is whether or not the 10 or 20 percent premium for a Honda or Toyota is worth it. Just because it finally crosses the bar to make it worth considering, doesn't mean it's the best overall value. But I will say that it does cross the bar and is worthy of consideration, where before it was not even worth considering.

Again, for me the 100K warranty doesn't mean much in today's cars that don't even need a tuneup for 100K miles. What about post 100K miles? And if you're a short-term buyer, then you have to look at resale value. Again, I know your experiences have been good, but I know lots of smokers in their 80's but that doesn't make it healthy.

For me, I'll give them another 5 years but until then, it's not worth the risk to me when there are so many other choices for a 4 door sedan.
    I can appreciate your view and is well put. You or your family have had some good experiences with Hyundai and unless you get burned it is probably where you will stay. I have seen many opposite stories and feel Hyundai is NOT even an option at this point. I will defer to you on the 5 year quality since I have not seen it but 1 question, is it Initial Quality or a 5 year quality report? When Hyundai (which I have said is getting better) can show me a sustained Quality and Safety record then I will think about Hyundai. Keep in mind Safety should be a BIG issue here not just Quality.
    My statement was about reliability (not quality, that is difficult to put numbers on although JD Power tries), and was based on the latest reliability study published by Consumer Reports in their 2005 Annual Auto Issue. It covers MY '97-'04. The 2006 study will be out in a month.

As for safety, we know what the Sonata has done with the NHTSA tests (all together now: "they are bogus! etc.") and we will know in early March what the IIHS test results are. Other factors on safety are the standard safety features like ESC and ABS built into every Sonata--so I don't have to take a chance of finding the car I want with all the safety features I want, as on the Fusion and Camry ('07 Camry is much better, and '06 Accord not bad except for no ESC on 4-bangers).
    I guess at this point there's no longer a need to keep going around and around this topic. The fact that Hyundai is getting better every year means that Honda & Toyota will have to get better to stay competitive. That makes everyone winners, both Honda and Hyundai potential owners.

Long before you'll here from an Accord or a Camry.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    And the Accord has trumped every other publications comparisons. But you must not have seen those, right?

By the way; Edmunds compared a 6 cyl Sonata to 4 cyl Camcords; back to the price factor again.

If today the Sonata were not priced as low as it is (they need to give our 3000 dollar rebates to sell them) not many people would be buying it, even though it is a much improved car
    Absolutely! I'm here more now to defend Honda because of some bogus claims about price difference ranging from $8K to $10K and those who say they would buy a Sonata even if it was priced the same as a Accord or Camry. I trust Honda and can not say the same about Hyundai.

*disclaimer

*The views here are strictly my opinion and not stated here to piss any New Sonata owner off! :D
    what a lot of bs. So Toy/Hon use premium????? hahahaha. Be happy in your Ford.
    cmon Backy, you used to be a sensible poster! Have you seen snake's and Stockmanjoe's posts??? No comment on all that nonsense they have been putting on this board?
    Check again. Annual Auto Lease, Consumer Repoprt for 2004 does NOT rate the Sonata that well. Page 87

2000, poor
    2001, average
    2002, average
    2003, better-than-average. Too soon for fair comparison
    2004, better-than-average. Too soon for fair comparison

go to ConsumerReports.org
    So based on the only tests that are out there as of today you made the wise decision to purchase a vehicle that might not be safe for your family. I think you would have waited to see the IIHS test results before buying. But hey it sounds like your a risk taker anyway.
    Not a bad deal if you want to buy a new Hyundai, but, not for the poor guy who's trading. :cry:
    Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Not all the time. Many times you are just paying for a name. To give an example, I started a leather goods company one time, we made wallets, purses, bags and the like. Well we produced a purse that looked similar to a coach handbag (not a knock off just similar) at 1/6th the price. But we had better materials better stitching, all around better. What did you get for the extra $250? The name Coach.

A $7 steak is still a $7 steak.

While that may be true, but if the $7 steak is better than the $21 steak its still better regardless of the fact that it costs 1/3rd the price.

The Sanota isn't junk, but it sure isn't an Accord or a Camry either.

I know some ex-honda owners that will disagree.

Statistically they are far and few between. Statistically.
    Not just one or a few here and there. No one makes the perfect car for the perfect owner every time. Some just get closer to the goal than others.
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    I guess that sure makes you feel better when you get that empyt feeling you get when your car is not where you left it - a little solace for you to know someone else is enjoing your car LOL!!!
    Hey...what about the Fusion in all of this discussion? On this subject, I think it beats all three on style & youthfullness...whatever that means. But I think the younger car buyer would rather drive a Fusion then a Sonata, Camry or Accord. I think of Sonata's & Camry's as "family" cars. Sort of the same with the Accord. But the Fusion looks and feels more like a sports sedan. Put AWD on the Fusion and you'd have a real hit. But the other 3 will be more popular with older families.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    bobw3 wrote: "For me, I'll give them another 5 years but until then, it's not worth the risk to me when there are so many other choices for a 4 door sedan."

This is a very valid and common-sense, yet conservative, statement. On the other hand, look at all the people who passed on purchasing Honda and Toyota products in the early stages of their success, and look at what they missed! Essentially the same virtues that both offer today, with the exception of improved resistance to rust and corrosion and enhanced safety features. I remember the days when the average car buyer wouldn't ever consider buying a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, et. al. Times change, and perhaps, just perhaps, Hyundai is in that "early adopter" stage as well. A good, solid, quality-built, and reliable vehicle available at a more than reasonable price. Only the next 5 or so years hold the answer . . .

The first Toyota I purchased was in 1968 - a Corona. And, my local dealer (a MG-Austin Healy- Jaguar-Triumph-Fiat-Toyota-Siata dealer) sold it for less than invoice just to move it off the lot! My engineering friends thought I was nuts for buying a Japanese car, as they were all driving VW's, Volvos, or Detroit Iron. Funny, the more things seem to change, the more they stay the same!
This discussion has been closed.