Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• rahoymerahoyme Member Posts: 1
    I also was able to purchase my '02 Quad Cab for $1000 less than Edmunds TMV. It was my first experience at a "no dicker sticker" dealership, and was a good one. Went in there armed with the Edmunds TMV info on both the Quad Cab and my trade in ('99 GMC Jimmy). To my surprise, I was offered $1000 more than TMV on my trade (although the sales manager made the comment in front of me that he wanted my trade--had a buyer already in mind?) So, in sum I was able to do the deal for $2000 better than TMV, and didn't have to negotiate. Plenty of rear leg room for my 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter. Also test drove an F-150 at the same dealership, and thought the Ram Quad rode smoother down the highway, as well as my son commented on the additional leg room in the Dodge.
  • pushplaypushplay Member Posts: 52
    the MAYORS CLUB rahoyme!!
    13in. brakes sure seem to make a difference. It is not a problem stopping.
  • obx1obx1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Quad cab 4.7 liter auto SLT and my gas milage sucks im lucky I get 9.5 a gallon sticker says 13 to 17. Everybody I talk to is getting over 12 or 13 what can be wrong with my truck?? any answers out there I have 1700 hunderd miles on it now
  • demetriuskdemetriusk Member Posts: 12
    Thanx for the info.posting N0.198.I will call the dealer in Terrell,TX.I plan to purchase the same except 4x4,lots of snow here in Utah.They may not have in stock too many 4x4 in TX.This site is excellent for all of us-the more info.exchanged the better for all of us...
  • lamaratworklamaratwork Member Posts: 10
    They have plenty of 4X4's. When I asked over the phone which colors were available Kelli Ann responded, "Which one do you like?" I chose a particular package and color and she had it. When I got to TX. to see the dealership it was incredible. They operate out of an old Walmart building. It's full as is the parking lot. Never seen such a selection. Good luck and keep me posted!
  • finklejagfinklejag Member Posts: 12
    Join the club bro!I have 2400 miles on mine.I have the 4x4 4.7 auto.I still average around 12mpg.I drive 7 miles to work and 4 of those are on the freeway.I say about 80% of my driving is in the city.Don't waste your money on 92 octane gas.It made my mileage worst.It even says in the owners manual don't waste your money on anything more then 87 octane.I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see.
  • demetriuskdemetriusk Member Posts: 12
    I plan in geting the 4x4 quad cab 4.7,auto, trailer tow package-I plan to do some light trailering in the future.In looking over the specs the limited slip comes only with the 3.92 axle ratio .what is the difference between the standard 3.5? axle ratio and the 3.91.I was told that the limited slip is better on ice etc,but what other differences for gas mileage?.Is it worth getting it even though, I will have the 4x4?
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    At the store last night and picked up a copy of Mopar Magazine. There was an '02 Quad cab in there that they had tricked out a bit. It had the 4.7L that they'd tweaked to 350hp. They'd also done a little to the interior. I think it had 23" wheels. And I thought 20s were big! Pretty sharp, but a little overdone for my everyday needs. Wonder how that 350hp feels headin' to work? Check it out.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Who's right? C&D do the comparo this month, and they give the New Ram a pretty decisive win, even with an overtaxed base engine, and they couldn't give it a 9 or 10 in ANY category, even styling (the said Ford was the sexiest!).......Motor Trend test them last month, and the call the Ram the bottom feeder, but give it points for sex appeal and handling. Who's your Daddy? I tend to side with MT on this one, only because with the current engines it CAN'T be the best in class...... but I think it's HOT! I want one, and I don't even like pick-up trucks!
    Who's right? C&D do the comparo this month, and they give the New Ram a pretty decisive win, even with an overtaxed base engine, and they couldn't give it a 9 or 10 in ANY category, even styling (the said Ford was the sexiest!).......Motor Trend test them last month, and the call the Ram the bottom feeder, but give it points for sex appeal and handling. Who's your Daddy? I tend to side with MT on this one, only because with the current engines it CAN'T be the best in class...... but I think it's HOT! I want one, and I don't even like pick-up trucks! And, by the way, the Tundra won that C&D comparo on points......
    Drive a new Ram and I think you may disagree a little with MT, but when the new hemi comes out their diffently won't be any question. I have a new Ram Quad with the 4.7 and love it. I had a 00 Chevy z71 with the 5.3 before this truck it may have had a little more ump, but when weighing in the engineering, quality, and craftsmanship the Ram is miles ahead. Just my opinion.
  • helpwantedhelpwanted Member Posts: 14
    Dodge does offer the limited slip package with a 3:55 rear end, I have this setup. As for the differrence in ratios I like the 3:55 for my truck but I have not put my boat behind the truck yet. I get 15 MPG +/- a half a gallon with just over 2000 miles on my truck. If you decide to get the 3:90 rear end and find your gas mileage is not great you could always put some 35" tires on the truck. This would change the ratio to a happy median of roughly a 3:70 +/- rear end. Good luck

02 Ram 1500, 4.7 liter, 4x4, automatic, 3:55 rear end
  • brando69brando69 Member Posts: 47
    I received a price from a dealer in the Los Angeles area for a 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab for $23792 plus tax and license. The pickup is equipped with the following.
    Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 4x2 140" WB $19851
    M9DV: SEAT-PREM CLOTH 40/20/40 BENCH $444
    AHC: TRAILER TOW GROUP $409
    DG4: TRANS MULTI-SPEED AUTO,45RFE $858
    DSA: AXLE-ANTI SPIN DIFFERENTIAL $251
    EVA: 4.7 MAGNUM V8 $No charge
    GFD: WINDOW REAR SLIDING $123
    LNJ: FOG LAMPS $123
    2TG: CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKGAGE
    24G: CUSTOMER PREFERRED PACKAGE $2103
    WF5: WHEELS 17X8 PAINTED CAST ALUM $88

THEY ALSO HAVE CHARGED PPA, DAA AND DESTINATION CHARGE FEES.$1195
    Customer Discount: $-484

MSRP: $27,484
    INVOICE: $24,961

The alleged killer deal is $23,761($1200)under invoice because of the $1500 rebate. Is this a good deal for my area. I have seen another post from a guy that bought in Texas and that deal looked too good to be true. Tempted to go to Texas.

I would appreciate your comments.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Your deal is OK but.....since DC is kicking in $1500, you are essentially paying $300 over invoice i.e., the dealer gets $300 from you and 3% holdback from DC. Any dealer in the country would do this deal. Any dealer in the country will also sell you any new Ram of your choice for invoice less rebate. So, if you want to give them $300 to make your salesman happier......
    It's become a crime in this country to pay a profit on a new car or truck? People be nickel-and-dimin'.....
    Thanks for the advice Indydriver. I have made a list of Dodge dealers in my area and will fax about 20 of them and see which dealer will give me the best price. I will also check the newspaper for those one pickup only specials. I saw two listings last week for the Ram Quad Cab SLT and they were excellent deals.
    Good luck with your fax attack but I'd be surprised if you get their "best deal". Afterall, would you give that to a customer you have no relationship with? A fax may not even be a customer, it might be their competitor checking up on their latest pricing practices. Same deal with internet shopping. I have always gotten to 'invoice-less-rebate' with any domestic dealer simply by appearing in their showroom once or twice and acting like a serious buyer (and being prepared to buy when they give you what you want). Do your homework and know what you want. Don't waste a lot of the salesman's time because, after all, you're going to ask for a deal where he gets no commission. When the time is right, tell him, "Look, I know what I want. I'm going to buy one of these, but I'm in no hurry. I'll order from the factory if I don't find just what I want on a dealer's lot. The deal is going to be invoice less rebate. Are you interested in moving a unit on this basis or should I look elsewhere?"

toyotas.....don't feel sorry for my dealer, he gets it back from me in the service bay.
    I did the fax attack for my wife's van last year and it worked. We got her van for $300 under invoice. The auto market in the Southern California area is very competitive and the faxes are sent to the fleet department. I should know in a few days if it will work again. I will also call that dealership in Texas and see what kind of deal I can get from them.
  • lamaratworklamaratwork Member Posts: 10
    Let us know how it goes. Did you call Randall Noe yet? One of my favorite things to do is drive through the local dealerships parking lot with the Randall Noe "God Bless America" tag on my truck. Just got an email form someone in California last night. Sounds like a serious buyer. Go to Texas. You will enjoy the return trip.
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    I'm thinking about getting a 2002 Ram Quad 2wd, will be trading in my 2001 Tundra 2wd access Cab, no problems with the Tundra I just like the better cab room with the Ram Quad. I talked with Kelly Ann and she offered me a good deal. It seems though the tow package and two-tone paint are hard to come by. The tow package seems to be offered on their in stock 4wd's and the two tone paint has to be ordered in. Not a big deal but those options would be nice. The deal I'm being offered would be hard to pass by. I'm just curious do you think there will be better rebates this summer also does anyone know if they are planning on having the 5.7L as a option on the 2003's.
    I faxed 20 dealers in the Southern California area and received five responses. The deals ranged from MSRP(the dealer is on dope) to factory invoice.

I also called Randall Noe and spoke to KellyAnn and she gave me a killer deal on a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab "Lone Star" edition. Pickup is equipped with auto,power windows and locks, AC, Overhead console, Cruise, Tilt, 20" tires/rims, fog lamps, anti-spin rerear endnd AM/FM CD for a total of $21,685(that includes the $1500 rebate)plus T.T.L. I am not sure that is the pickup I want but I saw a similar one here going for $30,000. The deal sounds too good to be true.

I called the dealer that gave me the factory invoice and he said that deal was so good that he suggested that I fly to Texas and drive the pickup back home.

I just have to figure out my costs. I checked flights to Dallas from Los Angeles are about $500 one way. The drive back is about 1450 miles( 24 hrs of driving). I think fuel costs will be like $200.

Anyone from the Los Angeles area thinking of going to Texas to buy a Ram let me know. Maybe we can fly out the same time and drive back. You can e-mail me at bejaar2000@yahoo.com.
  • lamarjlamarj Member Posts: 21
    I thought that was someone else who sent me the email...Check with Southwest Airlines. Don't know if they fly out of your area. Fly into Love Field. Someone from the sales team will come pick you up. That is a sweet deal, bro. I would jump all over it. Whatever it takes to get to Truckville, make it happen. You will not regret dealing with the good old boys, and girls, in Texas!
    By the way, I know what you are thinking right now. I almost did not go to Texas because I thought it was too good to be true. I took the chance and I am driving my dream truck. Like all good friends, mine were waiting for me to come home empty handed. A friend of my wife told her that her Husband just received his 02 Quad that has been on order since October! Same color as mine, he has leather and a few comfy options. He used a relatives DC discount and still paid over $30 large. Toyota1 joked about we be nickle and dimin...my Wife was too embarrassed to tell his Wife what I paid.

You can be sitting in the truck next week. Get into the Mayors Club while the getting is good.
  • stooges3stooges3 Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone have any info on how long it takes for a newly ordered truck to reach the dealer? I live in the N.Y. area. DC gives me a different story than the dealer. I wonder who's lying. My truck was ordered on 3/15.
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    No nickel and dime-ing at the Dodge dealers. Here in the south they have a large inventory at many locations. I found 6 equipped how I wanted at one dealership, with the 24G package, tow package, posi, fog lights, steel loading floor, deluxe stereo, multi speed auto and V-8. Didn't want the 360--not that much more power for the increase in fuel consumption. The 4.7 accelerates briskly, although I wouldn't turn down a spare twenty. I bought mine at 0%, $214 below invoice and a 7/100k. How can anyone argue over that??!!
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I thought California has different emission requirements? If you buy a Texas truck - will it pass California smog check without modifications? I know a guy that bought a new truck in Kansas, then moved to California -he ended up spending several hundred $$ getting his new truck inspected - dealer was no help. This was 10 years ago, so maybe it is different today.
    You are correct xyz71. The vehicle must meet California emissions requirements and I am checking with our department of motor vehicles. It appears that 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 should have no problem because it is an ultra low emissions vehicle. I will make sure before I go to Texas.
    I contacted our department of motor vehicles today. I was told that as long as the new vehicle has an emissions device on it and it passes California's smog test there should be no problem. I know that the 2002 is an ULEV vehicle and it should have no problems passing the smog test in California. I will also call Dodge and see if vehicles sold in California have any special emissions devices installed on them.
    Brando69 looks like he is campaigning to be the next Mayor. Doing his homework. He is going to be very happy in Truckville!

Tell Kelly Ann I said hello.
    I want that Dodge Ram 1500. I can buy it now if I go to the dealer in my area and can get it for invoice minus $1500. It's a black beauty! I just have to wait and see if I can buy it in Texas and bring it back to the commie state of Kalifornia.
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.htm

Here's a link to an article from California's EPA and the procedures for buying a vehicle out of state. Looks like I won't be going to Texas unless that Dodge Ram is California Certified and will state it on the emissions label. The article was dated in 2000.

Please check your emissions label on your Dodge and let me know if it says California certified or legal for sale in California.
    The fleet manager called me and threw in lifetime oil changes and a dinner coupon if I buy the Ram 1500 this weekend. I'll keep you posted. I am getting weak! :)
  • gaspumpsgaspumps Member Posts: 1
    I noticed your from California, lifetime oil changes. From where?..and dinner coupons...in TX or California.
    The deal is from a 5 star dealer in Southern California.
  • xman1035xman1035 Member Posts: 52
    I like the new Ram 1500 Quad Cab but I am concerned about safety. I am a police officer and have investigated numerous traffic accidents and safety is the most important thing I look at especially when you have children. I have seen too many kids get hurt in auto accidents.

I checked the data on the 2001 Dodge Ram and it scored poorly in the 40 mph offset crash test. http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_lgpickup.htm

The 2002 Dodge Ram has not been tested in the 40 mph offset crash test but was tested in the 5 MPH bumper crash test and it beat out Ford 150, Chevy/GMC Silverdo/Sierra and the mighty Toyota Tundra in this area.

I am going to wait and see if the new Dodge 1500 can beat the mighty Toyota Tundra in the 40 MPH offset crash test. I suspect that it should based on its performance in the 5pmh bumper test and improvements in its frame. I'll wait for the new crash data before I will buy this pickup. I may even call the IIHS and see if they have a crash test date for the new Ram.

• nit1195nit1195 Member Posts: 9
    Hello Stooges3,

I ordered my Ram 1500 QC on November 1, 2001, I picked it up from the dealer (Herbee Dodge in West Islip NY) on January 18, 2002. Even though it was longer than the 6 to 8 weeks that the dealer stated, it was well worth the wait. In about 1 to 2 weeks call the dealer and ask him for your VIN number, Once you have that call 1-800-992-1997. That is the number for Daimer customer service.
    I called them every day to see the status of the truck. They can tell you when it is scheduled for production, and then once it is in production, tell you the status. Once it it shipped they will tell you what rail car it is in, and then you can go to the rail car web page and track it to you dealer.
    Good luck with your new truck
    Where is the Emissions Label?

Tell your dealer to give you lifetime dinner coupons and a free oil change.

Sounds like you are in the drivers seat on this one. Just like it should be. You get to choose between two sweet deals rather than having to make a decision from a limited number of choices handed to you.
    The emissions label should be on the inside of your truck's hood. It will say vehicle meets EPA emissions standards or something like that and hopefully mention California on it too.

I went to my local dealer today and missed the fleet sales manager but did test drive the Ram 1500 and was surprised that the 4.7L V8 moved the truck quickly.The truck is very roomy and just looks good.
    http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdpage.asp?BODY=/CONSUMER/BRINGING_A_CAR_TO_CALIFORNIA.HTM#label

Do a quick copy/paste of this website to get more detailed info. I checked under my hood and looked on my window sticker. There is no mention of California emissions. The information all mentions Federal standards. According to the info on the website, although the vehicle does not meet California it can still be registered as long as all of the original emissions equipment is still on the vehicle and nothing has been tampered with.

Does the emissions label say 50 state certified? I heard that the New Dodge is an ultra low emissions vehicle and if so would get a 50 state certification emissions label like the Toyota Sequoia.

I can't buy it or register it here because I am a resident of California. The info you posted is for people moving to California. Does not apply to Californians buying cars out of state to get awesome deals.

I will call the California EPA and see what is the latest information for 2002 vehicles that are ULEV.
    Thanks for the info you posted on crash data. I checked out the site and it is packed with info. I saw that the 2001 Dodge did poor in the offset crash. The design of pickup was like 8 years old and the designs on the other trucks were like 2-3 years old.

The 2002 Dodge Ram did the best in the 5 mph bumper crash test and beat the Tundra. The Tundra was last. I believe that the 2002 Dodge should do good in the offset crash. It now has a stronger bumpers, a stronger frame with crumple zones and the truck has been updated with a lot of safety devices.

I know that if does good on those tests, it will be a plus for Dodge Ram in safety and make a big impact on sales.

You did forget to mention that the Ford 150 did the worse. :-)

Before I get flamed by Tundra people, I like the Tundra it's a quality pickup. I just wished it was a quad cab.
    I checked the NHTSA's web page and found no recalls or technical service bulletins on the new Ram. So far the Ram is doing good on the quality issue.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i'm sure there have been some tsbs issued, they just haven't been loaded into the NHTSA database. eventually they'll be there. but, you are right, it does appear that dodge has done a reasonable job of getting a new, reasonably bug-free vehicle to market.
    Here's some info on the Hemi motor due to arrive on the 2003 Dodge Rams. It might be worth the wait. Ford, GM, and Toyota you better get out of Dodge's way.

Check out the link below!

http://allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

I saw this on the link provided above and had to post it.

Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax. - David Charles Gedraitis
    Let's see....made in Mexico....iron block....pushrod valvetrain....only two valves per cylinder.....what's the excitement about? This is a heavy, low-tech, low investment engine. Not much to get excited about.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    345hp/365lb-ft torque is something to be excited about. but it will only be competitive when it comes out...and not dominating.
    How soon after a TSB has been generated by the manufacturer does it appear on the NHTSA web site?
This discussion has been closed.