Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, but I was about to ask the same thing about Accord owners. I don't recall a Hyundai owner coming here and saying things like, "You gotta be kidding me" about people who choose cars other than a Hyundai. As for panache, the Sonata has tons more panache in my view than the Accord. To each his own.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    And for the most part its been a good car, but I still prefer the Accord over everything else in this class, especially the 06 Accord models.

But you can't beat the Hyundai's value these days. The only glaring fault I have with Hyundai is the fact that you can't get a manual on anything but the GL models (that's not an issue for the MAJORITY of buyers in this class) and the interior is subpar in design IMO.

But other than that, I like the Sonata just fine...but the Accord has always been my pic.

I'm actually looking for an Accord now. I was in yet ANOTHER wreck (a girl hit me in my 1991 Honda Accord and its totaled) so I've gotta find a replacement for it.

I'm looking at 96-97 EX models now.
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    As for panache, the Sonata has tons more panache in my view than the Accord. To each his own.

That must be some view. Can your Sonata travel forward in time to a year where it has more "panache" than the Accord ? (like 2012 maybe)

Anyway, the Sonata has come a long way and I'm looking forward to the next generation (as well as the 8th-gen Accord).Unlike some Sonata/Accord owners, I try to keep it real. :shades:
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Don't see many Sonatas here either. I think Hyundai's paid their dues tho and are starting to compete with the big boys by upping their engineering in their cars. But there's no denying the Accord's clout. And the 07 Camry will stir the punchbowl big time. Fusion? No clue yet.
    I don't have to travel forward in time to have an opinion that the Sonata has more panache than the Accord. I respect the opinions of those who prefer the Accord. It would be nice to get the same treatment on my views, but I guess that is too much to ask.

Why do I think the Sonata has more panache than the Accord? Classier exterior styling is the main reason, with a much bolder front end, an Audi-esque roofline, and little touches like the elliptical twin exhausts. I also prefer the lighter-colored dash of the Sonata to the black interior of the Accord. And I find panache in clever design details like the articulated trunk lid, Shiftronic automatics, and ESC on all models. Is that "real" enough for you? If not, too bad.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    We also have a Hyundai store in our group. Their marketing has found the following telling stats.
    48% of prospective midsized buyers have heard positive things of the Sonata but won't come in to compare it;
    12% will never consider it under any circumstance;
    40% are open to trying it.

The stated goal is to be $4000 under Camry and offer nearly everything standard
    Well, that explains the rebates, doesn't it? ;)
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    ..is they're not selling despite the rave reviews online such as those here at Edmunds. I've seen six on the road in the first two months after their introduction. I haven't seen anymore since. Paneche, whatever the word's dictionary definition, means squat if the cars aren't moving off dealer lots in a market such as southern California. So far, it appears to me that Hyundai layed an egg. Flame away, folks - it matters not one whit... :P
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Sonata US sales

October 05 9,676
    October 04 8,589

CY 05 95,296
    CY 04 92,454

That looks like they are selling to me. Keep in mind, 9700 cars in one month spread over the lower 48 means there still aren't a lot of the new model compared to other popular vehicles and this version has only been on sale in the US since May. Give them a year or so to reach a higher penetration level and then tell us how many you see(or don't see) on the road. ;)
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    Wow,

Been following the thread for a while, and man...! People think that politics can get heated and ugly! It seems to have turned into the "Backy and the Hyundai crew vs. the Honda guys w/ the Fusion and Camry people in (guys if you want to stop arguing my car is pretty good mode)" forum.

Everybody has the right to free speech but it discourages people from gleaning information from the forum because of the arguing....

just my .02 cents

killerpiece
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    which one do you like? :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    We'd love to read your contributions to the discussion. Have you driven any of these cars? What is YOUR opinion?

BTW, if you want information on the cars, a better place to find it is on the discussions for each car, where people discuss the CAR and (usually) not "this car vs. other cars".
    Just fun and games my friend. Its "free speech" to state that I think the Accord is better than the other 3. The topic is "vs".

They're all good cars tho (altho the Fusion is too new to really tell yet.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    my local observation is that people buy hondas until they decide they can afford what they really want. 1 person did replace their accord with another accord. the wife swapped hers for a lexus.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    You're taking it as if I attacked YOU personally, I'm not saying that anybody is wrong, It is just my opinion that people should be debating not arguing.... My post was not intended to point fingers at a person.... but to give an outsiders perspective on the direction the forum has taken.... nothing more.

killerpiece
  • mrsacks1mrsacks1 Member Posts: 11
    Part of the buying decision with a $20K mainly family car purchase is how reliable will it be on the days the outside temperature hits 98 degrees in the shade or -10 degrees in a snowstorm. So in that context right now, my money has always been on either a Camry or Honda - styling, ride and handling the tie breaker. The next factor is the service and dealer's attitude when there's a warranty issue. I can't say that I'm thrilled with my Toyota dealer :mad: (a certain Amityville Long Island dealer on Sunrise Hiway near the "Atlantic" ocean - stay away...). Hyundai dealers right now don't have much of a reputation and the car's overall rep is poor due to their prior product's quality, so while Hyundai offers a great warranty, their service is an unknown and fairly frequent model changes keep things up in the air...
    I don't feel attacked personally, although you did single me out, did you not? How many other people are involved in the discussion here? Lots.

Two posts but no contributions to the discussion. Are you interested in this discussion, or just like popping in to tell those of us who are interested in the topic how we should behave? :)
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Not too many out here, understandable that the Accord:Sonata ratio is around 4:1 following the Accord's 400k/year average sales and tenpin288's stats.

Drove a friend's fully loaded Sonata V6 few months ago, and think it's a viable, practical proposition. Firm, full seats, nothing jarring visually or otherwise with the dash or other interior areas. Ride is controlled but comfortable. Exterior is best dark imo until Hyundai achieves the styling and proportion astuteness of, say, Mazda.

It may not have the cachet of the Accord - yet - but it's probably just a matter of time (particularly if Hyundai starts to spend in racing development).
    There's a fine line between debating and arguing. Some posters here have a difficult time staying on the debating side of that line. That's normal behavior for most people who are passionate about something such as a transport appliance. ;)
    (keeping it "real")

Backy, take a chill pill and relax. I respect your opinions even if it doesn't seem that way. I just feel the Accord is better and I'm not alone. I'm glad Hyundai added VSC to all Sonata models since I hope this will lead to Toyota & Honda responding in kind with the next generations of their respective vehicles. Shiftronic - be honest with me, most people don't even use it, they just put the vehicle into "D" and drive (that's what a Hyundai dealer told me).

Hyundai targeted the Camry and they hit it dead-on with the new Sonata. That's a great achievement for Hyundai and they should be proud. Perhaps, in 5-10 years, I'll be driving the next-gen Sonata myself. I just don't feel that the current Sonata matches up as well as it could have with the Accord.

BTW, why did Hyundai have to target the Camry so perfectly and eliminate the folding side-mirrors ? I live in New York and need folding mirrors for my car elevator.

Peace.
    I included you name in the post because you seem to be the most vigorous pro Sonata poster here.....

If you want my opinion on the cars here you go.....

The Sonata, while greatly improved over the previous gen. car is a middle of the pack performer when comparing V6 models.

On interiors, the Accord and the Camry have better fit/finish and solidness then the Sonata, but the Sonata is better than the Fusion (so far).

In the exterior styling category, the Fusion takes top honors with the 06 Accord a close second. The Sonata ranks above the Camry here.

On the driving experience, the Accord edges out the Fusion (but I may change my mind with the new 3.5). The Sonata and the Camry come in behind them, with the Camry offering superior isolation and the Sonata offering the better driving experience of the two.

You wanted my opinion, you got it.... I originally refrained from giving it because I wished not to be labeled ANTI-Sonata.... because I'm not.... It just doesn't suit my tastes.

killerpiece
    Oh, by the way.....

I am interested in this discussion....

If I wasn't, I wouldn't be posting....

I didn't post before because I was enjoying the healthy debate and I didn't feel the need to contribute. But, when the discussion turned from healthy debate to arguing I posted my opinion about it.

This might come up so I'll say it now....

If I had to choose right now I would put an '06 Accord in my garage.

killerpiece
    Thanks, good summary.

It's interesting, though... when someone favors the Sonata, it's "arguing". When someone favors the Accord, it's "debating." ;)
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    I don't feel like you've been lurking very long if you feel Backy degenerates into baseless argument. People like Backy who see merit in Hyundai and its offerings have been dealing with anti-Hyundai bias for years now and it undeniably exists in this thread.

Please see this exemplary message:
    Wow. Are there really people out there that would pick the Hyundai over the Honda? You gotta be kidding me.
    -goodegg 11/8/05 4:09pm

What irritates me is the shallow oh-my-gosh-nobody-should-ever-pick-a-Hyundai-over-a-Honda/Toyota attitude exhibited by some people. I think a lot of people who support (and enjoy) Hyundai's efforts to improve their vehicles recognize that there are many situations/preferences of people that would be best to purchase a Honda or Toyota offering such as the Accord or Camry, however there is in general very little reciprocation from Honda/Toyota supporters to see that it can actually make sense for a person to purchase a car such as the Hyundai Sonata as their best option.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    to stick to talking about the actual cars and drop the talking about each other part, okay?
    Backy - you made him/her say it. Honda Accord. The Sonata just isn't high on the wish list of many car buyers yet- but is apparently gaining popularity. It's OK to want the best. Honda delivers it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    my local observation is that people buy hondas until they decide they can afford what they really want. 1 person did replace their accord with another accord. the wife swapped hers for a lexus.

Interesting. One of my neighbors was widowed recently, and left in control of a large and reputable glass company in the B'ham area. She sold the company to her husband's former business partner, as well as sold her house to buy a newer one in a much more upscale neighborhood (Greystone, in case you are familiar with Birmingham). She traded in her Acura RL and her husband's Corvette, and bought an Accord EX-V6 Navi, which she said she got a $2,000 off MSRP (I think in the low 27s). It goes both ways, I guess.

You can be Mr. Negative all you like, explorerx4, please, continue on in you Honda bashing without bringing something else to the table. THANKS! ;)
    That's cool if you want to settle for Honda as the best. Me, I'll stick to the Ultimate Driving Machine, BMW, as my view of "the best". I'd rather have a 3 Series than any Honda product--although the RL is pretty slick. :)

I agree the Sonata isn't on the wish list of all that many buyers yet. Based on those stats posted a few days ago, I think many people have a block about even looking at a Hyundai. So here's an idea: offer buyers a cash bonus if they test drive a Sonata and then buy a competitor within a certain time period, say 30 days. Make it substantial, at least $100 USD. That would be one way to bring people biased towards other makes into the showroom and at least give the Hyundai dealer a fighting chance. That might work better than offering such large rebates, since the problem isn't that people think Hyundais cost less than Accord etc., but many have the dated impression that Hyundais are junk. Even if fewer than 1 in 10 people who take the offer wind up getting a Sonata, it would cost the same to Hyundai as a $1000 rebate. And it would let Hyundai draw traffic to the showrooms while beginning to move pricing up. This is not a new idea, but I don't know that Hyundai has tried it before. It would also show confidence in their products. If it doesn't work out, they can withdraw it after a month or two.
  • Hyundai didn't have to incentivize me to look at the Sonata. I've been a HonToy owner consistently since 1991, and I bought the Sonata because I think it's the better car. Superior to the Accord, Camry, Fusion, Altima, and 6. Each option has an edge in some way, and I found the Sonata's advantages were more important to me (safety features, styling, interior volume, trunk size, power, fuel economy, value, etc...). My choice was more than a hypothetical purchase. I plunked down my hard-earned cash after considerable research and numerous back-to-back test drives.

I've seen past my misconceptions about current HonToy competition and I'm not looking back. The Sonata is a genuine pleasure to drive, as are models from Subaru, Mazda, Ford, Chrysler, and other most other mid-range providers. The marketplace is being flooded with quality sedans and we're all the beneficiaries. Now, instead of trying to find the "one good car," it's a matter of finding the best option for YOU. It's a great time to be a shopper in the sedan market.
    I think the Honda is the best of the 4 mentioned vehicles. And I prefer the ultimate driving machine to an Accord as well. But the UDM is probably $12000 more when comparably equipped and is smaller than the Accord (drive one and see). Hyundai needs to do something like you say because their rep on the street is not entirely positive, even tho they may now build a good car.

You almost can't go wrong with most cars out there now anyway.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Impressive, adn I am sure this number will increase. So they are selling more than Mazda6? WOW! Whatever happened to the Mazda6 fans; looks like no one bought them when it came time to buy.
  • chrisfordchrisford Member Posts: 55
    On interiors, the Accord and the Camry have better fit/finish and solidness then the Sonata, but the Sonata is better than the Fusion (so far).

What do you base that statement on? The Fusion's interior is on par with or better than both Accord and Camry, as per most reviewers.
  • cuteraquelcuteraquel Member Posts: 10
    I happen to believe that car manufacturers make more money on after sale repairs than they do in selling the cars. That is why they will give you a good deal at time of purchase if they know you will most likely need repairs and maintenance down the road.

So how do you guys think Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, and Ford (Fusion/Milan) do in this department? For those who need this question re-iterated: Which make of car is in the shop more often for repairs.

And even though Hyundai has the longest warranty I think we can say there are lots of repairs a car will need that will not be covered by warranty.

-thanks
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "And even though Hyundai has the longest warranty I think we can say there are lots of repairs a car will need that will not be covered by warranty."

If you are referring to maintenance items, they typically aren't covered by any manufacturer's warranty. For maintenance items, I typically do those at the same intervals (in general) regardless of what brand the car happens to be. For example, I prefer to flush the automatic transmission every 30K miles. Some people, and automakers say 60K or 100K is fine, but I prefer 30K. So in terms of what car can get by with the least amount of maintenance is a moot point as far as I am concerned.

In terms of unexpected, un covered repairs (not covered by warranty), that is a crap shoot. Any car is capable of having these. Some people on this forum will tell you that Hyundai has a 60K bumper to bumper warranty and 100K on the powertrain, so it would minimize a lot of these. Other people will tell you that Hondas and Toyotas are "bullett proof" so they don't care about the Hyundai warranty.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    That's cool if you want to settle for Honda as the best. Me, I'll stick to the Ultimate Driving Machine

So will I but to be honest its getting harder to find those 1967 Pontiac GTO's

I agree the Sonata isn't on the wish list of all that many buyers yet.

Give it time. My experience is that most of those who own or have driven a Hyundai for any period of time tend to fall in love with them. Most people who trash them really never give them a chance. Hyundai is starting to get a strong core following but I see it only growing slowly over the years.

As for your three series $30k is to much for me to pay for something that would just sit in the parking lot of the dealership.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

You almost can't go wrong with most cars out there now anyway.

I believe the same. With the exception of one or two any car you get is going to give you many practically worry free miles. That being the case the Sonata has a major advantage with the lower price. Now more so than ever with the more powerful engine.

And even though Hyundai has the longest warranty I think we can say there are lots of repairs a car will need that will not be covered by warranty.

Lets see I have a hyundai with 130k on it, wife has one with 80k on it, daughter bought one and now has 70k on it her hubby bought one and now has 90k on it, my cousin has one with about 60k on it and my niece just bought one and has maybe 5-6k on it.

Total warranty repairs on all of these $0.00

total non warranty repairs on all of these $0.00

Gotta love those stats.

IMHO I believe that just about any car that is taken car of should be about the same.

• plasmid4plasmid4 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah it is a crapshoot. The wonderful reliable Honda cars that my family members owned, the civic and crv, (2001 and 2000 respectively) had transmission problems. The civic's tranny had to be replaced at 70k miles, the CRV had shifting probs (auto tranny). We've owned/own M-B, BMW, Lexus, Oldsmobile, pontiac, subaru, toyota, and jeep cars in the past 15 years, and I can say that the cars with the most problesm were the oldsmobile, jeep, and surprise the Honda cars. So the point is, Honda cars are not all that they are made out to be, and those who put down hyundai and other cars have no weight behind their criticisms unless they are or were owners of the cars.
    My wife owned a Civic before getting her Elantra, and the Civic ran like a champ, but nickle and dimed us on other items between 45K and 90K miles. We never had engine/tranny problems, but other items like window regulators, the air conditioner compressor, and other components failed. Just for the record, we paid out of pocket for the a/c compressor, and it would have been covered through the Hyundai warranty (as it happened at about 48K). I have stated before (way back on this thread) that my wife was given her Elantra by her father for us to serve as a "guinea pig" for Hyundais (her family has always been Honda people). I cringed the day he bought it for her, but it really has been a great car (at 70K now). Although, I am sure a lot of the success we have had with this car has been due to us really being sticklers on maintenance.
    I based my statment on my own experience....

Check C&D, they say the same thing....

I like the Fusions interior design, but the panel gaps are wider than the Accord/Camry, it's real close to the Sonata but not quite there.... I said "so far" because it may just be a first year issue.

killerpiece
    When did I ever say, or even imply that I "feel Backy degenerates into baseless argument" (quote from you).

I never said that....

Based on all my posts I have only implied that he is pro-Sonata!

killerpiece
    I am also pro-Accord--but I like the Sonata better for my needs. And when I actually drive the Fusion, maybe I'll get past its overdone face. And when the '07 Camry rolls out, I'm sure there will be a lot to like.
    Just curious - what is the price difference between these 2 for similarly equipped models?
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Based on all my posts I have only implied that he is pro-Sonata!

Is there something wrong with Backy liking the new Sonata? The 06 sonata is an excellent vehicle which stacks up extremely well against the competition's current offerings. Although I still prefer my (05) Accord over the Sonata, I may have chosen the Sonata if the Accord had not been around (or if it had the Accord's interior and seats).
    I went to both Ford and Mercury dealerships to test drive both cars. The Mercury dealership quickly acknowledged that the Milan was very much like the Fusion but quickly told me the differences. They said they use higher pile carpet, more noise deadening insulation, and higher grade interior materials. When I went to the Ford dealership and asked them the diference between the Fusion and the Milan they first acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. But when the sales manager realized I knew they were essentially the same car he told me that Mercury uses higher grade interior materials. For the car I wanted I compared the Fusion SEL which you still have to add ABS to compare it to the Milan Premium that already has ABS, they come out the same exact price. On the Milan you get the new technology in the rear lights, LED. They're cool. YOu should also remember that both cars have a huge [non-permissible content removed], ha ha. So when you test drive make sure that you don't have problems seeing behind you through the rear view mirror. The sales guy at Mercury suggested I get the backing up sensors that cost around $200. Also the Milan has 12 spoke wheels and the Fusion has five spokes. Also the finishes on the interior are different colors, and on the Milan you can get two toned leather seats and two toned interior. I don't particularly like that but it's a nice option for some people. They both have the contrasting stitching on the leather. The guy at Mercury also said they use thicker leather, I don't know that this is true or not. The Milan is a little heavyer but not so much that you would notice the difference when taking off.
    Hey did you guys know that Ford made a video that compares the Fusion against Camry and Accord in a sort of drive test. I don't know the specifics of it, like they might have used the base models for the camry and accord and their fully loaded Fusion. And they might have riged it. But the Fusion beath out both cars. They use it to instruct their sales people, but again the sales people aren't given any specifics about the test, probably so they have a clear conscience when explaining the results to their customers. They also made the same comparison with the Milan against the Lexus and I don't know what other car.
    This is the first time I've considered a Hyundai vehicle and it took the 06 Sonata to do it. After driving the Sonata, I can now finally overlook the "history" of Hyundai. I realize Toyota & Honda didn't have a glorious start themselves. There are only a few things that "force" me to look elsewhere.

I need folding mirrors, a better interior (yes, I know this is subjective and the quality of the Sonata's interior more than matches the Camry, but that's how I feel) and a navigation system. I can't wait for Hyundai to bring back the folding mirrors (?) and add the navi option with the MMC.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think the Sonata will be successful, but perhaps not nearly as successful as the next-generation Sonata. The new Camry will make it difficult for Hyundai to sell their Sonatas to current Toyota owners despite the value/quality the Sonata represents. As for Honda owners...well you know. Most Sonata "conquests" will still come from the domestics.

I do want to thank Hyundai for providing the fire that should light up Toyota & Honda with their next-generation vehicles.
    When did I ever say, or even imply that I "feel Backy degenerates into baseless argument" (quote from you).

I guess I extrapolated my statement from your original assessment as follows:

"It seems to have turned into the "Backy and the Hyundai crew vs. the Honda guys w/ the Fusion and Camry people in (guys if you want to stop arguing my car is pretty good mode)" forum.

Everybody has the right to free speech but it discourages people from gleaning information from the forum because of the arguing...."

I guess the point I was trying to make was that I feel Backy usually makes astute and relevant comments that I don't classify as useless or prohibitive arguing. I will leave it at that as my post is now getting off topic and probably discouraging people from getting useful information.
    I do want to thank Hyundai for providing the fire that should light up Toyota & Honda with their next-generation vehicles.

I definitely agree the compeitition forces the car companies to one-up each other . . . and as consumers we are the biggest winners of all! :D
    But the Fusion beath out both cars.

Ford makes a video, and in it the Fusion beats Accord and Camry. Imagine that! ;)

Of course, given that there were just two car mags that rated the Fusion 2nd behind the Accord and over the Camry, it's quite possible for a series of tests to be designed to let the Fusion beat out both of them, depending on what the tests are and the equipment levels of the cars.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    hp/torque my Sonata rules. I raced a old Neon, a mid 80's Ford Escort, a new Daewoo and and a real mini Cooper( not the nice new ones). I did not win, but I did come in 5th.

You came 5th to an old Neon, mid 80's Ford Escort, new Daewoo and a Mini? You could have just said you came last ;)
This discussion has been closed.