Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Care and Maintenance

13»

Comments

• vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    This is my first winter with the vehicle. Today had heat on and once cabin came to temp cool (cold) air came out of the dash vents. I tried both the auto temp mode and plain fan mode but could not get the air to stop. Is this "normal" for the vehicle? Does anyone know how to stop the air flow. I even tried using the recirc mode but cold air kept coming out.
  • 69driver69driver Member Posts: 4
    The stitching on the side closest to the door (driver side) is fraying. Car is about one year old, I’m not overweight, I get in and out normally, I don’t wear any weird clothes that would be snagging. Anybody else seen this?
  • Chuckles37Chuckles37 Member Posts: 16
    09 FEH. Dealer has a TSB on the blend doors in the dash. Replaced them under warranty.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "09 FEH. Dealer has a TSB on the blend doors in the dash. Replaced them under warranty. "

Could you post the TSB number and details, so others can use it?
    Did not get the number from the tech. He said that there have been problems with the actuators that control the positioning of the blend doors in the ventilation system that will cause temperature of the air into the cabin not being what is set on the temperature dial. In my case this summer, it was the passenger side that we had to select a temperature around 70 to get cold air to come out of the vents instead of heat. Anyway couple hours of work later they had replaced the actuators and all is well.

Last year we had the wrench light come on intermittantly and the problem was eventually traced to the actuator that controlled the blend door for battery cooling. Must have been a bad batch of actuators.
    I decided to do some research and found it online.

Google TSB 09-12-6 Ford and it will have a pdf of the TSB

CLIMATE CONTROL TEMPERATURE VARIATION FROM SIDE TO SIDE—BUILT BEFORE 12/17/2008
    "...
    Last year we had the wrench light come on intermittantly and the problem was eventually traced to the actuator that controlled the blend door for battery cooling. Must have been a bad batch of actuators. "

From what I have read it is a bad design, not bad actuator production. The copper contact that handles the electrical switching rotates with the door, and apparently it degrades over time. Expect to have this service done intermittently.
    Thanks, found it.
  • b1g_chr1sb1g_chr1s Member Posts: 1
    2006 escape hybrid maintenance tips:
    #1 replace air filters with K&N. They're worth the money and can be cleaned and reused for a very long time. We found almost 10% fuel economy increase when cleaned at time of oil change.

#2 change fuel filter every 25-30k miles. It's only $12-13, easy to do and keeps performance very consistent.

#3 change spark plugs every 40-50k. On a hint from our Ford mechanic I pulled mine early (35-40k) and they were in need of replacing. The plugs run $11 each and the process takes 45 minutes. Equipment needed: 1/4" deep set socket, 5/8" plug pulled with swivel and 6" extender. The rest you'll already have.

#4 always ask the service tech to check inner and outer tie rods. We have had then replaced twice (once under warranteeand the second time we did not pay because there was a series of records showing we had concerns). The dealer ate the cost ($485).

#5 we have used Mystery Oil once in fall and again in Spring since vehicle was new. I agree this coukd be called witchcraft but since everything is running great I don't know how to compare it.

#6 we replaced our tires with Michelins from Costco and love the free rotation and balance for life.

#7 we flushed radiator at 45k and again at 100k. Should've done it more frequently. There are specials around fo $50 and each time we found the vehicle to run better.

Good luck!
  • dgcarlson1dgcarlson1 Member Posts: 8
    How old are your tires? If you have a bumpy ride that is where you should start.

I own a 2008 FHE and rode on the factory installed Continental tires for 89,000 miles before they wore out (I do alot of highway driving - I don't recommend you go as long as that on one set of tires). I currently have 120k miles on the FHE and my new tires are still performing adequately (the tires are not rated for more than 40k miles - Kelley Safari made at the same plant that makes several brands of Goodyear tires in Fayetteville, NC). The tires can be fairly noisy, but otherwise no complaints.
  • dgcarlson1dgcarlson1 Member Posts: 8
    Check your owners manual - If the noise goes away it could be part of the mechanics of the fuel system - I can't recall exactly, but there is something stated in the owners manual about a clicking or cricket sound.