Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• pjg9599pjg9599 Member Posts: 3
    The sticker price including destination charges was $26,615. There were no add ons, you know the usual protectant stuff they put on to jack up the price. This dealership normally advertises $6,000 off sticker. The day I went was customer appreciation day and they offered the RAM at sticker price -$6,620, no dickering. I live in the Memphis, TN area and the dealership is Covington Pike Dodge. When I was there they had an excellent selection of colors, including Patriot Blue. Good luck with your search. I love my truck more each time I drive it.
  • pjg9599pjg9599 Member Posts: 3
    The last time I was at the Dealer in Memphis, they had two Forest Green RAMS. I don't know the engine size or the options.
  • zman73003zman73003 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone heard if the QuadCab's will receive more power (HP,torque) for 2003?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    The Dodge literature said they will have the 345hp Hemi engine in the RAM 1500 by summer of 2003, as I recall. But I was told by someone at work that they might be a bit earlier than that. Not sure if that's good information, though.

Dusty
  • segpiledriversegpiledriver Member Posts: 1
    dodge literature have you read that in? i'd appreciate any info u can provide, whether it be a link or a particular journal/magazine i can look into. thanks for your help.
  • jlamarjjlamarj Member Posts: 19
    I am very happy with the power of my 4.7 Quad. If I need more power I press gently on the accelerator. What a great truck! 5000 miles and all is well.
    Well, I happen to be acquainted with a fellow who's in the fleet business, but I've read it in several places.

Try the link below:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b042302.htm

Dusty

• brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I see the societally toxic emerging cult of the child I've read about is really alive and well in America. Since when do adults choose a vehicle they have to work to pay for and they have to drive 100% of the time based significantly on rear seat comfort for 80 lb, 4'10" tall children who are in it maybe 20% of the time or less that it's used?

Come on people, quit being afraid of your children. They might actually respect you if you show a little backbone now and then. It doesn't mean you don't love little Johnny if you buy a truck you like and he has to suck it up on (sniff sniff...poor baby) marginally harder, thinner seats. I was 16 y/o, nearly 6 feet tall, and riding in the back of my parents' 4 door sedan and I can tell you this, seat comfort never even occured to me. And if your kid even notices how comfortable his seat is, you have one heck of a wimpy, coddled, princess-and-the-pea kid. It's not like you're putting them in the back of a panel van with no seats. I suggest a little Physical training and some chores or a job. And psychotherapy for yourself to discover why you crave the whimsical approval of a 10 year old so badly.

Contrary to the current fad, the word "no" is not child abuse. Can you imagine a child who whines about the seats in a huge Dodge Ram quad cab growing up and defending this country in the future? I can't. Heck, I don't see him even being able to change his own oil ever.

But I'm sure those of you who see yourselves in the above words will escape any sense of chagrin at your foolishness and weakness simply by labeling me a child hater. I love kids. I simply don't want them growing up to be spoiled, indulged, entitled, lazy adults. Who really cares more about them, me or you?
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Make them suffer for their own good?

Why not just buy a regular cab and make the little [non-permissible content removed] ride in the bed - if it rains you can always skip the weekly bath - or if it gets to cold put a few bails of straw in the bed.

You should go get a vasectomy -
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    What is so wrong with riding in the back of a truck. Before ex-cab trucks were popular kids rode in the back of trucks all the time, I did and I loved it. Now it is illegal because it is unsafe. Kids today are pampered though, I am 29 and I remember when I was a kid talking back was a spankable offence now a spanking is "child abuse". Society nowadays believes that nobody is responsible for thier own actions. Personnaly I would like to find the retard that figured spanking your child for misbehaving causes them undo trauma and insert my foot in his [non-permissible content removed]. Anyway the way I look at it any ex-cab truck is better than the old trucks that brely had room for 2 adults never mind 3 people.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    You read my mind......well said.
  • kad1957kad1957 Member Posts: 2
    After finally talking my wife out of getting a Ford, I have a new Quad Cab 4wd on order. I am wondering about the 4wd system. It has the shift on the floor. I cant find any info in the literature about how the system works. Does it disengage or uncouple the front drivetrain somehow when in 2wd? Way back when they used lock out hubs, and then it seemed like the companys' went to some type of vacuum disengage for the front axle. On the S10 I believe it disengaged half of the front axle, which meant the differential spun but the driveshaft back to the transfer case did not. I havent heard what Dodge is doing, and the literature hardly talks about the 4wd components at all. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks
  • bigstan26mbigstan26m Member Posts: 1
    I'm really interested in how you got such a big discount. Could you scan you contract and either post the finanical parts on here, or can you email it to me. I dont want to get ripped off so I hope that you will do this to help me out and others.

My email is Bigstan26m@aol.com

p.s. dont just tell me what happened, please show your contract so I can see, so when I go to the dealership I am armed and ready
    1st and foremost - Thanks to dustyk for answering my previous post. I can't wait for the Hemi to hit the RAM 1500 Quads.

And as for Bruce35 . . . I'm 32, no kids, but the wife and I would like to be able to put the groceries in the back seat so the rain and dust doesn't get to them. Also, when the family visits or when co-workers would like to ride along w/ me to go to lunch, I have the seat space (comfortable space) for them to travel in.

As for the fact that the Quad Cab comes with child seat-ready back seats, I call that a bonus.

Toke out,

Z.
  • penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    Are you sure your groceries are comfortable? Sorry, I couldn't resist!
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    UPDATE! I finally got my Black 02 Quad cab Monday with the 20's, sport appearance and other kewl options I ordered!

Man this is a pretty truck.. had one scratch on it, got it buffed out, but still can see, dealer will put in a Line-X for me if I want to not paint it.. I think I will live with the scratch for a bed line!

I LOVE MY MAYOR!

stan
    Ok Stan the Man,

Would you mind giving us the State, Price, and options you got?

Thanks,

Zman
    2002 Black 1500 Quad cab short bed
    24G package
    4.7 liter motor / 4 speed auto
    Sport appearance group w/20's
    Premium cloth seats (power drivers)
    power pedals
    Infinity 7 speaker cd/cassette
    Steering wheel mounted radio controls
    Front wheel ABS (4 wheel anti lock)
    Trailer tow group
    Security group

Stickered out at $30,625 after $550 discount.

I added a LoJack for $395.

Price paid AFTER $1500 rebate:
    $26,572

That does not include my tax, title and lis.

How's that sound guys? I was only $300 over cost,
    (not including dealer holdback)

I think I got a good deal...
    Forgot I got that in New Orleans Zman.

I got my financing from Peoples First right off Emdunds. ( my 2nd time using them)

Got a rate of 5.75 percent.

Stan
  • stooges3stooges3 Member Posts: 18
    Your going to be married to the color but it's worth it. Black looks rich when it's clean and waxed. How's the ride with the 20's? I have almost 1000 miles on my truck and I can't find one complaint. Someone from the dealer gave me a follow up call to see if I was completely satisfied. I told him that I was but I wouldn't mind getting the first 1000 mile oil change free. He gave it to me. If you get a call give it a try.
    Sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy!

Oh, and thanks for the financing info. as well.

Zman
    hehehe.. the 20's roll good! Smooth riding!
    But gas mileage is sucking.. 11.5 miles per gallon.. gulp! I hope it gets better with the
    breakin!

Well I did have a scratch that the dealer could not get buffed out all the way.. so they are going to install a LineX liner for me for FREE!

And it get's better.. I open up a CD a friend gave me for a promotion for the MAYOR, and it has a rebate for $500 of accessories if you buy a new
    RAM! I hope to pull that off since I already bought some lock lugs and a rear floormat.. I will get extra mats just to burn that up!

stan
    Dusty
  • spudgalspudgal Member Posts: 35
    We have a 99 2500 V-10 with the Quad Cab. I'm 5ft 6, and I often ride on the back seat (I sit there if we have a 3rd passenger who's bigger than me or if we buy something that won't fit in the bed (we have a tonneau cover). I can ride back there just fine! So can some 6ft guys I know! It's not like the back seat in the Lexus SC 430 for example (NO legroom at all!)

ANY back seat is preferable to having kids ride in the open bed. It should be illegal (it's legal here in NV).
  • kad1957kad1957 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone put a cd changer in their Quad Cab? I got the Mopar unit and it has very poor installation instructions. The accessory sales brochure says that it goes under the rear seat, but it doesn't say which side or just how it fits under there. It isn't readily apparent where it fits the best. It looks like it would fit cockeyed wherever it goes. I ordered my 4wd Quad with the 4.7 on April 30 and it was delivered to the dealer from the factory at Warren MI on May 16! The window sticker even said "Custom built for (my name). Very cool. I thought I had till the middle of June to get my finances in order, and here it comes in two weeks. I didn't have time to get the trusty old Dakota ready to sell. 177,000 miles on it and plenty more left. This Quad feels like a Freightliner after driving that Dakota for twelve years, but I am getting used to it. The Ford and Chevy people are sure staring me up when I go by. A friend of mine (Chevy owner), got in and started it up and immediately shut it off and started it again because he didnt hear it start, as it was so smooth and quiet. It is a great ride, and will be a joy to own. Cant recommend it highly enough. Thanks
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Dude, you should check out the accessory page. Wsmoore and I have both done the cd changer install. Did not put mine under the back seat (I don't think he did either) as don't want to compromise storage. He bought the Kenwood and I bought the USA Spec which I think Mopar uses. Put mine right under the driver's seat since I don't move my seat very much. VERY EASY INSTALL. The dash was the scariest, but was very simple. Check the Accessory Page and see if you still have questions. Happy to help.
    Just FYI, (and so this board would have some activity)

I talked to a guy yesterday about his new Ram SLT QC. It had the 17" wheels. He said he drove straight from the dealership in Hot Springs, AR to Ft. Worth, TX (~900 mi.)and he averaged 13 mpg doing around 80 mph most of the way. He said his Tach read around 2200rpms at that speed, and still had plenty of oomph when he put the pedal to the metal for passing.

He and his father-in-law bought 2 trucks at the same time and got a $21,000 deal. He did not have the cd player, power leather seats or 4x4. But he did have the tow package and the headliner computer system.

And here's the kicker. He got 0.0% financing on both trucks. I thought the best Dodge could do was 3.9%. Apparently Dodge can do anything if they really want the sell. Sell/Haggling time was approximately 2hrs.

Zman
    I only had 500 miles on my 02 QC with the 20's and rolled out last weekend on a 600 mile round trip run.
    I was running about 75 mph most of the time and averaged right under 15 mpg, but 14.5 was closer
    to the mark. The tach was right at 2200 to 2300 most of the time at that speed.
    I have about 1200 miles on the speedo now and only getting 12.5 in the city. Kinda sucks but I did not buy this big bad black beauty for the gas mileage!

Stan
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Please identify drivetrain when reporting mileage, i.e., engine size, trans type and 2 or 4WD.
    A 4.7L, 2wd, 4 speed auto trans.

:)

stan
    The guy did not know his transmission ratio. He did say that he had a 5.9L V8 - 2WD.

Zman

P.S. What transmission ratios are available/optional on a 2WD QC?
    I think there are only 2 rear end ratios
    available.
    a 3.55 is standard but the 3.92 is optional, unless you get the 20 inch rims then they place the 3.92 in it.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    Hi everyone.

I am purchasing a 02 Quad Cab SLT Plus, with the 6'3 bed. I am trying to find a hard cover for the bed.

I need a cover because I plan on using the bed to haul groceries, kids stuff, stroller, etc.. in it. Anything you can buy to keep stroller from rolling around back there?

This is my first full size truck so I am at a loss of where to look for this stuff. I tried searching for a dodge catolog of some sorts, but didn't find anything.

Also, anyone know of an aftermarket locking diff for the rear? I plan on installing Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires (285 x 70).

All help greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I recently recieved a catalog in the mail that had a lot of parts and assecories for the 02 Ram. The name of the catalog is acme truck parts. I know it sounds like a cheesy catalog but they have assecories from vendors such like Lund. Their web site is acmetruckparts.com.
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    Try Snugtop.com, Jason, A.R.E. and Glasstite. I just bought a Glasstite top for my QC, I'm picking it up tomorrow. All of these companies manufacture bed covers. Good luck in your search.
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Member Posts: 33
    Here are the web sights:
    4are.com
    jasoncaps.com
    snugtop.com
    glastite.com
    The bed covers ranged about $700 - $800, all top quality. There are hundreds more these just happen to be in my locale.
    Thanks Everyone !
  • skippy_xskippy_x Member Posts: 2
    Roll-n-lock (rollnlock.com) looks like a pretty good solution, too. I don't have one, but I've talked to people who do and like them a lot.

I use Acme Truck Parts all the time for stuff for my CJ-7. They get a thumbs-up from me.
    Dodge Ram Pickups Recalled

The Associated Press
    Friday, June 7, 2002; 7:57 PM

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. –– The Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler AG said Friday it is recalling more than 150,000 Dodge Ram pickups because of axle and engine problems.

About 111,000 1997-1998 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups with diesel engines are being recalled to replace a fitting in the engine compartment. The fitting could corrode from road salt used during winter months in the Midwest, the automaker said.

Dealers will install new fittings with improved corrosion resistance.

Chrysler also is recalling 46,000 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 pickups because of a potentially weak weld on a rear axle bracket. The recall affects only four-wheel-drive models built before November 2001, the automaker said.

No owners have complained about the bracket, but the problem could affect long-term durability, Chrysler said.

Dealers will install a reinforcement bracket on the affected vehicles.
  • inukeu2inukeu2 Member Posts: 23
    Hey guys/gals shortly after purchase I installed an Access Cover roll top tonneau. It's a low cost solution that is functional and looks great. If you're bent on buying a hard cover this may not work for you but it is a quality product that has worked for me.
  • peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    Just rotated my tires at 8000 miles.(P26570R17) didn't realize the size and weight of the wheels. Almost need jack stands to make it easier, used a 2-ton floor jack. Could only imagine doing it on the side of the road with the jack provided!!
    I have the 20's on my 02 QWC, I bet they are fun
    to change!

I installed the spare tire lock from Mopar. Not too bad to lower the spare down and raise up. I bet changing a tire out would wear one out on a hot summer day!

Still only getting 13.8 mpg, 20's, 3.92 rear end, 4 speed auto and 4.7L motor.. tell me it get's better with only 1800 miles on the speedo!
  • charlesl30charlesl30 Member Posts: 1
    I've had this problem, as have many, according to my mechanic. The dodge engines from this era blow their engine intake manifold plenum pan gasket. Expect to pay up to $1000 for the repair, if your vehicle is out of warranty. Please see http://dodgeram.org/tech/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm for an explanation. My Dodge is only 3 years old and has 50,000 miles, but I suspect the problem has been around awhile.
  • dmetsgardmetsgar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins diesel and the 6 speed manual transmission. I am having a problem with the engine "loping". When you pull up to a red light or a stop sign the engine "lopes". The dealer tells me this isa a common problem but Dodge has not come up with a solution to the problem. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
  • gunslinger57gunslinger57 Member Posts: 1
    To you guys complaining about the pinging and the dealer pcm flash...You guys REALLY need to go to moparchat.com for a lot of info on this.Your truck will be seriously down on power when you get it back.They are flashing the computer to retard timing and it KILLS the power.You will be searching for another pcm shortly according to these guys.Check it out.
    These are my comparative impressions.

I had the rental 2001 Ford XLT Super Crew (8037 miles) the weekend of Friday, 21 June and the 2002 RAM SLT Quad Cab (3391 miles) this past weekend. Both were used to haul a 650 lb ATV and other equipment. With two people I estimate the total weight to be approximately 1200 pounds. My companion and I took turns behind the wheel of both trucks for the 135 mile trip from Rochester to Painted Post, New York, and we each had a ride in the back seat for a stretch.

Of course, ride is purely a subjective thing. The F150 Super Crew rides and handles very well, in my opinion. The front seats are very comfortable as are the rear seats. Although the suspension is fairly compliant, twice I managed to bump my head on the back window sitting in the rear seat. Much to my surprise (since I had read somewhere on the Dodge Quad posts someone making a big deal out of the Dodge not having them), this Super Crew did not have rear seat head rests either. The F150 wallowed at times on dips and on unmaintained seasonal roads the ride could become bumpy and booming. On interstate roads and ones with severe crowns there were times the F150 seemed to require more course correction. There was also slight body shake on certain pavement undulations. I had not noticed this just driving it around town unloaded. This might have been because of the ATV in back and higher interstate speeds.

In comparison the RAM seemed a little more taunt and the handling was definitely crisp, much more car like and less fatiguing. The seats seem firmer than the Ford, although still very comfortable. I would've liked a little more side bolster support. From the driver's position the cabin seems larger and more airy. My 8 and 11-year-olds liked the rear seat in the Ram better because they said they had better visibility. I was really impressed with how well the RAM goes straight down the road. Wind and tractor-trailer gusts seemed to have no effect on stability. Cornering was flat. Around town the RAM was noticeably more nimble. Excellent brakes, also.

This F150 was somewhat noisy, especially at highway speeds. It had a number of interior creaks and rattles, tire and wind noise, and especially much more engine noise. There were popping and snapping noises coming from the suspension somewhere that reminded me of a loose shock. When going slow on some of the seasonal roads near my property, we heard loud squeaking noises from underneath the vehicle.

The RAM was solid. It felt like the frame was made of reinforced concrete and this is easily the most solid truck I've driven in my life. Even with the ATV in the bed there was not one hint of frame flex, no wiggling, shaking or vibration. The RAM was definitely more controlled on rough country back roads and handled like it was glued to the road surface. The RAM was about as quiet as a vehicle can get with very little engine and road noise. Not one errant interior rattle or squeak.

I was really disappointed in the loaded performance of the 5.4 Ford engine. The added weight has a noticeable impact on performance. On hills the engine developed moderate pinging unless given some throttle and on some steeper grades the transmission hunted back and forth and downshifted quite erratically. Under load you could tell that more throttle was being required because of the increased engine noise. Under certain conditions the engine would drone and produce a resonant frequency that could be felt through the body.

The RAM really surprised me. With all the talk of the 4.7 being "under powered," when the RAM was loaded it seemed to have less effect on initial launches from a stopped position than the 5.4 Ford. On some of the steep hills the RAM shifted down but never once hunted for a gear. Once it downshifted it stayed in gear until ready for the next upshift. There were a number of hills that a downshift never occurred using the cruise control despite the load. I would say that the Ram may have actually downshifted less than the 5.4 liter Ford did under the same conditions.

The F150 fuel mileage for 511 miles was 14.9 MPG. The RAMs fuel mileage for 542 miles was 14.6.

On the F150 the upper hinge on the driver's door was worn to the point that the door striker was showing obvious signs of wear from the droop. There was noticeable brake pulsation after long drives, and harsh driveline clunk when warmed. The pinion seal was leaking on the rear differential. There was a significant amount of orange peel in the paint on the box sides and lower parts of the tailgate, and paint was coming off of the leading edge of the box just behind the doors and one spot on the hood. This is the sixth F150 I've noticed sub-par paint. For some reason the radio was inoperative.

The RAM's assembly quality was flawless and despite obvious signs of use, the paint was near showroom.

Dusty
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    interesting report dusty...i presume the trucks were both 2wd? interestingly enough my truck does not have any of the problems that you noted with your s-crew (mine is a 4x4)...except for an occasional thunk at stop or taking off from a stop. my paint is perfect, but i will say that the '01 s-crew i had previous to my '02 did have alot of paint flaws. as for paint on the dodges, quite a few guys over at pickuptruck.com are saying that they are finding the dodge's paint very brittle...easily scratches, etc.

check it out at www.pickuptruck.com under dodge...
    Perhaps some have already seen these...but here are pics of the 2002 Ram crash tests.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0128.htm#4

I'm not one for bashing other trucks, but I wouldn't want to be in the Ford F-150, check out these pictures!

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0110.htm

• bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Is an extended cab model, not the SCrew with the added pillar, that crash test is like comparing apples and oranges. As for comparing a 01 against the 02 dodge, why not compare 02s with the same equipment and maintenance, from what I read, they were both rentals and the ford had a couple of more years of abuse. I'm not saying one is better then the other. But when it comes time to trade, the history says ford will have a higher value, I have yet to see a dodge hold it's value.

I have just turned my 02 Screw XLT 4x4 over 15000 with no warranty work except to reapply a bubbled pin strip. Averaging 17-18mpg highway.
  • sawdinsawdin Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at buying a used '99 Ram 1500 SLT Larmamie with the 5.2L and automatic w/OD. It came with the factory towing package. Will that engine be able to handle a two-horse straight pull trailer (5500lbs)? The horsepower for that engine is only 250 but the torque is listed as 300 @3200 RPM. It would seem like it has the torque to do it..just not at highway speeds!

TIA for any and all suggestions,

Dino
This discussion has been closed.