Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Spoilers Spoil Good Design - Agree or Disagree?

Comments

• oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    If one adds a spoiler to the trunk lid, doesn't that overload the counter balance springs? I would expect that a factory (or even dealer) installer spoiler would include stronger trunk-lid springs.

Do-it-yourselfers could always use a piece of broomstick to prop the lid open. :P

james
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    I had a '97 Accord that came with a dealer-installed spoiler.. part of a special package with the CD changer and gold emblems (still got those in the original packaging, if anyone wants them.. never installed...lol)..

Indeed, the dealer also installed upgraded springs/struts along with the spoiler.. the spoiler was fairly heavy...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I can't speak for other cars, but the Volvo S70 parts catalog has separate trunk shocks for cars with and without spoilers.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "...The only garish features are the silly spoiler stuck to the trunks of all models..."

I wonder if the spoiler is a delete item. I understand it's not on the Cobalt SS, but one of the '06 Impalas pictured in the report didn't have the spoiler, suggesting that it may be deletable.

I think the new Impala looks better than either the Accord or Camry.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    I think the Impala cleaned up very nicely for 2006. And it appears to be much better assembled, and with higher-quality materials too. My only criticism is that the car looks more generic, somehow. If nothing else, the '00-05 Impala LOOKED like a Chevy! For better or worse. But with the '06 model, the front end makes me think of a cross between a Honda Accord and a Chrysler Sebring. From the rear it just has those universal generic taillights, roughly triangular in shape, that are on EVERYTHING these days! And in profile, I don't know how they managed to do this, because I don't think they changed the actual greenhouse much, but it makes me think a bit of a Ford 500!

The spoiler doesn't bother me though. I can take it or leave it, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Y'know, if it weren't for the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger being out, I would actually consider an Impala for my next car!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Over the last week on my trip, I saw a variety of spoilers on cars, including one that looked more like a giant tray from an infant's high chair. All it needed were a couple of bar stools that you'd pull out of the trunk and they could have served you dinner on it... including space for a centerpiece! :)
    "I think the Impala cleaned up very nicely for 2006." I agree.

" My only criticism is that the car looks more generic, somehow... From the rear it just has those universal generic taillights..." The generic thing could have easily been solved, from the back view, at least, by retaining Chevy's signature round tail lights. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the round tail lights in the next redesign, if not sooner.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    decided that a large, unbecoming spoiler would wreck the new-world order Eclipse's looks.

I tend to agree with them-they did a fine job with it and kept the wonderful orange color that the concept car carried so well. I prefer the looks of the concept better but I like the actual production model almost as much.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

on this new '06 Chevy Aveo sedan, built by Chinese labor, does nothing to spoil the beauty of it's design. Of course, we'd need the straight-on rear view and maybe the side view as well to really decide how it looks, but I think it looks pretty good in a toned-down sort of a way.

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I thought the Cobalt SS spoiler looked great from that angle. But when you look at tall sedans from behind, the spoiler usually becomes more awkward. It certainly does on the big-butt Cobalt coupe.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ......that spoilers were gawdy looking. The Pontiac Firebird is a great example. The Trans Am has that huge, hidious looking whaletail spoiler on the trunk lid, and the ground effects spoilers look like one continuous mud flap. By contrast, the Formula has a very small and tasteful looking rear spoiler and basically no ground effects spoilers at all, giving it nice, clean flowing lines. Why ruin the looks of a nice looking car with all the spoiler garbage? It's definitely named appropriately because they do spoil the looks of the vehicle.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I get the sense here that some posters here seem to think that spoilers are added for styling sake. Not true. While I will admit that the marketing departments of many carmakers have demanded spoilers because their customers think they look "kwel," that was not the original intent.

Certainly that's not the case with Porsche, Mitsu Evo, Subaru WRX-STi, and other hyper-performance cars. Call the spoilers ugly if you want, but they're there to help keep those cars planted on the road at high speeds.

Bob
    do you mean kewl?

I guess some of us forget what the true reason for spoilers is because we don't wanna envision driving being a "race" to get somewhere before somebody else. But that could be a horse of another generation and flavor, worthy of another topic to discuss, eh?

That time worn saying applies to spoilers. As for me, I like very few of them, and especially those spoilers that aren't functional, which is to say, the majority. As with rear deck spoilers, some people used to justify tail fins on the basis that they served a functional purpose. Well, maybe at speeds way above any legal U.S. limit some of them ( tail fins and spoilers) help stability, but in the majority of applications they add cost and weight, at a minimum. For some, this is more than offset by their visual appeal. I respect that, since I wouldn't want to impose my tastes and values on others. I would prefer if spoilers were options, though, so that those of us who prefer the styling of vehicles sans spoiler don't have to subsidize this item.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    ..a PT Cruiser with a rear spoiler. Had to do a double-take. Now I've got to figure out if that or the one on the back of a Tundra I've seen is the most rediculous.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    My 02 Mustang has a factory spoiler, and while I don't love it, I don't hate it either.

Given the large fake hood scoop and the smaller but still fake side scoops (actually a heritage feature...many of the classic Mustangs from back in the day sported the fake stuff as well), the spoiler seems to fit in nicely with the general retro-themed-over-the-top-pony-car look that Ford was going for at the time. Seems "balanced" to me.

The current Mustang looks much better w/o the spoiler, since it doesn't have any of the other stuff on it (hood and sides are clean).

Re a much earlier comment by Shifty, I love those Chapparal cars. I heard that at CanAm dinners, events and such, they would sometimes have one displayed in the building, but sucked to the roof. :shades:
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I would rather not have one. I see no reason for one on say a Camry. Some cars need them....like the TT but that is for European driving...we truly do not need them here. The only ones I ever really like were the very thin black rubber lip spoilers on 1970's and 80's BMW's and Benz cars.
  • brunoflanniganbrunoflannigan Member Posts: 1
    Wow i am surprised by how much myth and urban legend have overrun airfoils and spoilers 2 seperate designs. Lets start with basic aerodynamics a car is in effect an airplane wing with wheels so the faster you go the less grip your tires have. Unless you lower a vehicle or add body kits (yes there is a purpose for them) because the design forces the air to travel over the hood causing the car to be pushed down (why racecars are so low) Even your car will most likely be equiped with a front air defuser that chunk of plastic lip under your car to discourage the loss of traction at high speeds. Spoilers are glorified parachutes because the majority of all downforce it creates is through drag. Now this is where airfoils rise above because they are inverted wings and will be thin, aerodynamic, light, and often expensive however it will increase rear downforce without greatly affecting CD (drag)(ive seen small and large ones)if you see a car with a huge wing laugh your [non-permissible content removed] off because not only did they waste alot of money but they are unloading thier front tires (push on the back and the front lifts) unless you compensate with a front airfoil under the car as well. Its not about looks its about performance and what driving conditions you subject your vehicle to. Downforce is not drag a common misconception give the acura rsx with mugen bodykits i believe and it was 11 percent less drag with about 3 times the downforce at 80mph this is because mugen wind tunnel tests thier bodykits. If you have any questions please ask. And if you question the accuracy of my statements please remove your front air defuser and judge for yourself. But i do not take responsibility for the morons that remove it and try to do 90 only to loose steering of thier very expensive uncontrollable moron made projectile.
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    "The Trans Am has that huge, hidious looking whaletail... "

I agree with you totally. I bought a 94 Formula with the same engine as the TA because I didn't like the big spoiler. My current car is an Infiniti G35 coupe ;) . I was able to see the cars on the lot side-by-side and the spoiler really "spoiled" the lines of the car. It looked like someone had left an ironing-board on the truck lid.
    The lines are very elegant without the spoiler and it is relly funny seeing some "grocery-getters" as someone earlier referred to them with spoilers.
    "Spoilers are glorified parachutes because the majority of all downforce it creates is through drag."

They don't really produce downforce; they reduce lift by creating turbulence. Sometimes reducing lift is worth the extra drag - like if you're taking a sharp turn at 80mph.

Turning at high speeds is a good reason to give a FWD car a wing or spoiler - it's only silly if you're drag racing. Since almost everyone mocks downforce over non-drive-wheels, I have to assume that they think drag racing is everything.

But having the rear wheels slide out from under you during a turn is A Bad Thing (tm). It's why the Audi TT now has a spoiler. That car, while it's available as FWD or AWD, is nose heavy like any FWD car. With less weight over the rear wheels, it's even MORE important to reduce lift or add downforce over the rear wheels. I think one of the old Maxima models was also unstable at high speeds without a spoiler.
  • tspinnertspinner Member Posts: 4
    Of all the cars I have had, the 1998-2001 Nissan Altima's look the best with a spoiler. They have a wierd slope to them without the factory spoiler (which actually is pretty tasteful IHO). I never put one on my 2001 before I sold it. The other added benefit other than looks is that you can actually see the back of the car when backing out. It was difficult without a spoiler to tell.
  • ubbermotorubbermotor Member Posts: 307
    Some cars look good either way. Some look stupid, and some people get carried away. I've seen a mid-80's supra with an F1 style wing. A Gremlin with a Sprint style wing. On the other hand, have you ever seen a '75 Camaro without one? ew.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Rocky :shades:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I like the new spoilers that have lately came out. I can careless for the wing spoilers, and do love the lip spoilers. How many of you optioned for a spoiler for your car ?

Rocky
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,278
    Don't have one on mine (03 Altima). I'm not overly opposed to them, but they do nothing on an Alt.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I think the Mazda 6 has to have a spoiler. It looks plain without it. I would add the sport package if buying one as well if it is not already on the car.

The 95-99 Mitsu Eclipse's need spoilers too look good.

People I am not talking about a huge spoiler just a little one to enhance the cars exterior design.

I have an 02 Acura CL. I don;t think it would help enhance the cars design too much myself.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Don't have one on mine (03 Altima). I'm not overly opposed to them, but they do nothing on an Alt."

I agree the 02-06 Alt looks good without a spolier.

I had seen a black Altima(93-97)with a spoiler back in 1997-1998. It looked good. It wasn't a huge spoiler it was just a little one.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I think some vehicle benefit with the spoilers than without, but then some vehicles (like the TT) look better without them.

What is your opinions on this picture;
    Mazda6 Sport wagon and the Mazda5.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Those look more like dust deflectors than spoilers to me.

Still not wild about them; sometimes I load canoes by putting one end on the rear rack and lifting the other end off the ground and slide it forward, and I'd clunk the spoiler all the time with that setup.

Steve, Host
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    even with having the roof rails on either of those vehicles, I wouldn't put a small canoe up there (even if you can) the antenna would more than likely get in the way.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, you must not have seen my Tercel shots on my CarSpace page. :shades:

imageDrive on over and see me!

Steve, Host
    The wagons look a little naked without those.

And I agree with you on the TT, but there were a lot of high speed crashes due to poor areodynamics before they put the little spoiler on it.
    Except for Cadillac, tailfins were about a six year phenomenom, from '56-'61. Rear spoilers seem to be hanging on much longer. Could this be because there's been a shortage of real design innovation in reent years?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Spoilers have changed though and you see less of them around. I also think there is such variations that you'll see them in one form or another for a while.

-mike
    I bet you're right re them sticking around for a good while. Spoilers are an easy way to make cars seem "sporty" without adding any real (read: costly) sport to them.

Kinda like bucket seats or white-faced gauges... :(
    Exactly. Same thing like lips, chrome tips on the mufflers, etc. Manufacturers are picking up on low-cost dress up items that they can use to sell the cars.

-mike
    The exhaust thing is my current favorite.

I love how now even 4cyl cars need to have dual exhaust outlets and how muffler tips on many cars are routinely twice as big as the actual exhaust pipe. :(
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I liked the older Camry I saw recently -- with dual exhaust extensions: one was a fake, since Camrys have never had dual exhausts till the '07 model year. Also, one was out of line with the other. :sick:
  • blackadder5639blackadder5639 Member Posts: 31
    I disagree. I love spoilers and wouldn't consider a sedan without one. If not too big (eg, the Evo's spoiler), they always enhance the beauty of a sedan. Very big spoilers are a no-no for me (unless, of course, they are functional), but I like the nice everyday spoilers. I think the Mazda 6 would not be that attractive without one!
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Because the spoil the look of almost anything you put them on. :P

They are almost an automatic no go for me. There a few - very few - cars that look right with them.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    For what it's worth I don't think most cars need spoilers. The speeds at which they would make a performance difference would put 90% of cars into the bushes.

But that's not the question is it. As far as spoilers destroying the design of the car it depends on the car. Some minivans have spoilers to deflect air across the rear window to keep it clean. I think that works.

Some cars do look better with a modest spoiler. The latest Mitsu Eclipse has a subdued spoiler that I think looks nice. However for 2008 they have an "SE" option that carries a huge wing that looks like they pulled it off an Evo. This makes the car look like a joke and spoils what I think is a pretty nice design.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Yup most spoilers would take effect long above most of the posted limits in this country (90-100mph) and even then it's minimal effect. On track they make a difference if you are running at those high speeds but few cars other than EVOs and STis even get use of them at the track.

-mike
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What's really funny is that most spoilers slow you down, and people put them on cars so as to look fast.

visiting host
    True True. Although they are made to give you more downforce on the car, giving it overall better traction and handling. Funny thing is Huge spoilers on FWD cars. Essentially you are pushing down on the rear of the car, pushing both the drive wheels and steering wheels up! So that doubbly defeats the purpose!

-mike
    In terms of how critical spoilers are to high-performance (at least judging by how often they're part of the "sport package"), I guess someone oughta clue in the engineers of America's premier performance car, the Corvette. What are they thinking? ;)
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,701
    Odd that some of the better looking ones are on the vehicles that will least need them, the Honda Hybrids. Most others probably fail at their designated task, with no actual aero design work behind them, only styling.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    the discussion has focused on appearance, the spoiler as decoration, rather than function. I would argue that if a spoiler is needed for added downforce or to clean up turbulence (and few are in an on-road context), then the design was not very good in the first place. If a spoiler is not needed for those purposes then it is pointless and only adds drag and mass and may obstruct visibility to no useful purpose.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Stopped by the lot... Almost every new Jetta has a "factory" added spoiler..

Talk about ruining a nice German car.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,701
    Saw a last gen. 540i with a Pep Boys spoiler - ouch! Then two TLs with what must have been dealer add ons, ouch again. Talk about two car models that look better without a spoiler...at least I saw a Mustang GT without one, really looked good.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Factory added spoilers are not functional. They are not designed to create any down force. The spoiler on my Accord sedan does nothing except make the car look a little more "sporty" IMO.

Some people will say sedans should never have a spoiler on them. But if a Mustang has a spoiler on it, that's completely acceptable, and considered normal. My niece has a Mustang convertible with a V6 engine. My V6 Accord can run circles around that car. I consider my Accord more sporty (as far as performance) than her Mustang. Yet a spoiler on my car is wrong. I don't get it. I think it looks better with the spoiler.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.