Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Entourage 2007+

Comments

• mommy03mommy03 Member Posts: 17
    Since most of my problem seems to go away after the car warms up (the consensus seems to be that the initial bumpy ride is due to flat spots), I'm still trying to figure out if I need to take it back to the dealer or if it will go away on its own. My dealer is neither knowledgeable nor helpful, so I'm not too keen on taking it back to them because I think it will be a waste of time. Should I just wait it out, or do I need to just get used to the bumps at the beginning of every trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, do you guys get a survey after each service visit to the dealer? I've been twice, and they've asked me to give them good ratings, but I've never actually gotten the survey.
  • capecoralbillcapecoralbill Member Posts: 51
    I had the dealer rebalance it, the 75 mph vibration seems to have gone away. However, I now have a new problem. At low speeds, pretty much as soon as the car starts moving, it feels rough,lumpy or lurchy, enough to be annoying. It smooths out at higher speeds and after warmed up I don't feel it at lower speeds then either.
    Your right about the dealer being unresponsive or in denial, and he is too far away to make it convenient to keep going in for such a minor, but still annoying problem, this is not how a BRAND NEW WORLD CLASS vehicle should act. Too bad Hyundai may loose its hard built improved reputation over tire, wheel or drivetrain vibration. And yes, my dealer calls me after each service to instruct me to leave excellent ratings when the factory surveys me, but often I dont get the factory survey. I have 17" alloy factory wheels with Michelin tires, my vans build date is June 14 2006.
    capecoralbill,

Your problem sound exactly the same as mine. At first, I thought your first paragraph was quoting from my previous post! I've had mine rebalance twice and I thought the 75+ mph vibration had gone away, but it's still there, just lessened. Did they do the dynamic balancing on yours? Now the low speed bumpiness has gotten even more annoying than the high speed vibrations.

I have the same Michelin tires you do. What do you think the problem is? A flat spot? What are you going to do about it? My email is dontknow2@comcast.net. Maybe we could discuss this individually since it sound like we may have exactly the same problem.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    There are several factors here.

In 35 years I only had ONE person check all three and that was the manager of a goodyear store.

1.) Is the TIRE ROUND ??
    They have a nice little gauge with a wheel on the outside and
    a needle gauge on the inside. The device sits on the floor with a nice heavy base. They set it close to the tire, gently touching. They lift the car off the ground a few inches on the shop lift and the rotate the tire by hand. This needle will deflect if the tire changes position during a full rotation. Then they mark it with chalk where the high or low spot is. They can check the whole tread face and also the SIDEWALL too !

This establishes the concentricity of the wheel and tire as a unit.

2.) The WHEEL BENT ? They can take the tire OFF and check the rim. They also can take the tire and rimm off the car and run some checks on the TIRE BALANCE machine as well.

3.)Is the wheel BALANCED ? This is the most often checked item but if you have a BENT RIM or a LUMPY TIRE do you REALLY want them to "balance it out" or don't you think a non-defective tire / wheel is a better plan?

Sears loves to " balance it out " instead of fixing the defect. When you see a whole lot of wheel weights
    you are getting a clue you have an issue.

My Goodyear Tire store manager found I had one Lumpy tire and he replaced it with a good one and HEY - problem solved.

I have a bad rim on my 1999 Dodge now and I need to get a new one. It "smooths out" at 60 MPH but why wouldn't I want smooth driving at all speeds. Also- Vibration is a metal fatigue inducing state at all speeds.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, given folks here have observed 3 different types of tires with this problem, we can probably narrow it down to the wheels or a suspension/alignment issue. It can't be the tires.
    I think there are mutiple problems here. Some have a vibration that just won't go away. Others, like myself, have a rough, bumpy ride when the car is cold. This seems to go away after the car warms up, so that must be the tires, right? Otherwise it wouldn't go away, would it? Both of us with this problem have Michelin tires.
    Well,I dont know how to say this, so here goes. I dont have any high speed 70-80mph vibration. I did notice a slight shudder the other morning when I started the minivan that lasted for about 1 and a half minutes. This was in neutral, in the garage, ac off, ambient temp 75 degrees idle speed approx 1800 rpm. I wish it wasn't so. But it went away and it doesn't happen all the time???? Glad I got a 10 year warranty.
    That could explain your problem, I guess. As the tires warm up, they surely soften up a bit.

We can't be sure, but the explanation sounds plausible to me.
  • josm100josm100 Member Posts: 30
    If they are truely the same then why does the entourage have a different suspension from the sedona :confuse: , also the sedona has electronic brake assist while the entourage does not.
    You sure? They list EBD as standard even on the GLS models.

Maybe they just call it something else, but I doubt the brakes are any different.
    I believe they are the same suspension. I checked the part numbers for the rear coil springs on a sedona and an entourage, the part numbers were the same. I put air lift bags inside the rear coil springs for heavy loads. They were actually listed to fit a 2006 Sedona, they fit my 2007 Entourage. But hey, if you have info , let us know.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    The 07 Entourage does in fact have Electronic Brake force Dist..
  • josm100josm100 Member Posts: 30
    I stand corrected, the information on the Hyundai website does not electronic brake force distribution, also many "professional" reviews describe the entourage as having a different suspension. Besides this, I like the styling of the entourage more than the sedona although I almost bought a used 06 sedona LX at carmax. I think if I had not convinced my wife that the SE with premium was worth having over the GLS we may have just bought the Sedona. Thanks for the correction. :D
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    It is an extremely agile and capable van. The only downside is the gas consumption. The price of gas in my area has hit 3.45 for super.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    But you can put regular in your Entourage. Unless you have a high mileage engine that detonates or you have a high compression performance engine, you don't need super.
    Has anyone tried both regular and premium gas and noticed a difference in the ride as a result?
    The engine is designed to run on 87 octane, so don't waste your money. You won't see any benefits. If your engine is knocking have it serviced, higher octane gas only masks the problem.

Oil companies only get richer. The wholesale price difference from regular to premium is a whopping 3 cents, yet they charge us 20-40 cents, so it's mostly huge profits for the oil companies.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Bluetooth handsfree is coming soon. Most likely will be a rebadged blueconnect kit. It can be installed by the dealer. The Blueconnect kit doesn't include stereo integration. 2008 is when they will offer it as a factory option.
  • scott_gibsonscott_gibson Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, First time poster. Forgive me if this has been covered but the search function doesn't appear to be working for me. I own a 2006 Sonata and a 2007 Entourage and are happy with both. When I double click the lock button on the Sonata remote I get a confirmation horn honk. However the Entourage doesn't do it. This was fine until somebody parked next to me with an Entourage did her locks and the horn beeped!

Obviously this functionality is settable somewhere and mine isn't set. I would love to have this feature. In lieu of going to the dealer for something so trivial I thought I might dangle a fishing line off the forum pier and see if any of you smart folks might know how to enable this feature. Help!

Appreciate it! Scott
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    Scott, I've had my van since 6/06. On my van the horn will honk if you hit the button twice. I found this out when after leaving the van at the mall, not sure if I locked it, hit button again, horn honked and the lights flashed again. I've done this a couple of times and that seems to be all you need to do. But why would you want to double click your lock button, when 1 click will lock the doors?
  • campdraftycampdrafty Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a 2007 Hyundai Entourage. I would like to remove the center folding beverage tray. Has anyone ever done this and how?

Thank you,
    Bill
    I took mine out, but it was over a year ago and I've forgotton what i did. I think there were four hex head bolts (metric) located near the floor facing the drivers seat. And I think there were plastic trim covers concealing them. Those bolts were real tight too, make sure you have the correct size socket wrench so that you dont strip the bolt heads. I did not bother to remove the brackets that attach to the floor. I put a cargo net in there (from my 1999 plymouth voyager), to hold all my crap. I really like this van, it is huge, lots of passenger space and room for my knees, elbows and head, and it handles much like my Voyager did. My only two complaints are the vibration around 72mph (I'm waiting for Hyundai to fess up to this with a recall), the other is that this van is more sensative to cross winds than the Plymouth minivan was.
  • nygardnygard Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had any issues with their radio (Entourage, 2007, Limited)? Have brought mine in 4 times...they've TRIED very hard to solve it...replaced rear window glass (anteanna), alternator, the stereo itself, but problems persist. Usually with a specific AM station in my area. This is a station I can get 200 miles away in any direction, yet I live 25 miles away. Can be perfectly clear, then suddenly, it can go to high pitched whine, or unbearable static. STRANGEST PART: I can "control" it to some degree by turning on the fan, or pulling up on the front passenger window control (even though the window is already up!). Sometimes if I hold the window control up for long enough, the radio will "reset" itself and work again for a while, but then it starts all over again! I know I should just find another radio station, but I am so frusterated by this! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • campdraftycampdrafty Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I see what you mean about the platic covers. I like my entourage also. I had an Chevy Astro before this and this one handles the road must better, not as cumbersome.
  • mking006mking006 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an Entourage for my wife last year. For the first few months of ownership, we loved the vehicle.However, in the past few months we have experienced significant problems, including the passenger side sliding door not wanting to close (has been taken to the dealer repeatedly - guess what - can't seem to duplicate the problem), we had to have the AC compressor replaced, and a bearing on one of the engine's pulley's replaced, Most concerning is a transmission issue that has developed. Once the vehicle has been driven on the interstate for 50+ miles and you either exit or slow down for a ramp, the transmission seems to not be able to shift. The engine revs up and it sounds and feels like the transmission is hit with a sledgehammer. We have had the vehicle back to the dealer three times. The first time the dealer was able to duplicate the proble and we were told that the transmission shift module did not clear out the interstate codes. The dealer cleared the codes but apparently made not attempt to find out why the codes weren't cleared. The second time we were told that the transmission was a quart low on fluid. Being an mechanic earlier in my life I knew that a quart low of transmission fluid would not cause this problem. Secondly the vehicle had been routinely serviced by the dealership, how did it suddenly become a quart low on transmission fluid. The third time we got Hyundai warranty dispute involved. We were told that a Hyundai regional service manager would work with the dealer to fix the problem. We were given a loaner and the dealership had the van about a week-guess what- the dealer found another trouble code that indicated that the engine thought it was 20 below zero. I found out that Hyundai never involved the regional representative, rather the dealership consulted the tech line. What the engine problem code had to do with the transmission virutally ripping itself apart was never explained. Guess what - it didn't work. I have now contacted the warranty dispute line one last time before I begin the Lemon Law claim process. The representative was very friendly and has assured me that a regional representative would be in contact with me in the next 3-4 business days. The dealer was contacted by Hyundai as my wife and I don't trust the vehicle for any type of trip, and they suddenly no longer have loaner cars. Hyundai may reimburse me for a rental (no promises) The dealer claims that Hyundai has told them there has never been a transmission problem similar to this with the Entourage. I can't believe that I had the misfortune to purchase the only Entourage in the world with this type of problem. As a result of the problem not being repaired, I believe the transmission has been severely damaged- transmission now stutters when placed in drive. The dealer told me not to worry- the Entourage has real strong engine mounts. Any help you can give is appreciated as I am confident that I will be forced to move into Lemon Law litigation and will try to get NTSB involved as I am reading several complaints/concerns with the Entourage. I truly believe the problem was correctly diagnosed the first time (shift module) but the dealer and Hyundai doesn't seem to want to look at the transmission or associated computer control systems. Due to our experience we will never purchase a Hyundai or Kia again. The reason we bought the Hyundai (in addition to the warranty and safety rating) was our outstanding service with my Kia Sorento.
    Have you tried another Hyundai dealer?
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    We went to arbitration through the BBB and ended up getting a new van. The first one had power steering issues. At the third and fourth repairs, I got angry with pretty much everyone at Hyundai. I opened a case file with Hyundai corporate and filed with the BBB. In the end, just following their process worked for us, not anger. Call the BBB, file the paperwork, talk to the BBB rep. Document everything and let Hyundai corporate know all of the problems you are having. All of our repairs were done with the dealer that sold us the car so all repair records were in one place and done at a place Hyundai and the BBB had easy access to. If you are thinking about going to arbitration, having the vehicle repaired only by Hyundai dealers may make the record keeping easier.

The impression I have is that all the major car manufacturers are using the BBB to arbitrate lemon law cases in part to help keep costs down by not getting lawyers involved unless absolutely necessary. The BBB ruling is binding on the manufacturer but not on the owner - if you aren't satisfied with the BBB, you can still call a lawyer. The one thing to watch is that the rules under which the BBB arbitrates are not totally identical to the letter of the law (may be state dependent) but are generally fair to both parties. I highly recommend reading both carefully so you know what can and can't be done through the BBB.

There is a fix for the power steering doors the dealer can quickly install, see my other posts on this topic.
    When I am contacted by the Regional Hyundai representative I will ensure we do that. We have another dealer within 20 miles. My primary concern is that Hyundai (according to the dealer) has never experienced a transmission problem similiar to ours. I find that very hard to believe.

The engine rev and hard shift is so severe that I am sure the transmission is being seriously damaged. In addition, my wife drives the vehicle by herself (at times)several states away to visit grandkids. I am very concerned the vehicle is not safe due to the tranmission issue.
    Thanks for the reply. I hope that Hyundai Corporate is able to assist us. I will let everyone know how this comes out.
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    Just because you have a one-of-a-kind problem doesn't mean you don't have a lemon. Entourage's are not known to have power steering problems yet every major hydraulic component in our PS system leaked and had to be replaced. The only thing I could think of that would cause this is bad hydraulic fluid destroyed the seals in every component.

If you read the other forums, even the most reputable manufacturer has the occasional lemon.
  • cuddfamily4cuddfamily4 Member Posts: 1
    I need to tow my 2007 Entourage behind my Class C motorhome. It has a Class IV hitch on the back of the RV...however I need to know what kind of tow bar to buy..if I can even use one. I know I can tow it with a dolly...but I don't want to spend $2000 on a dolly. Please advise!
  • madmom5madmom5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for others with the same issues that I have. My husband purchased my Entourage in June of 06. We were hoping to have purchased a vehicle that would last us but we have had so many issues that it really isn't funny! I took my van on a trip to Florida in April and had to have it towed to a dealership because the service guys that serviced the van before leaving on this trip didn't put the fluids back in the van. Can anyone tell me the long term effect of not having trans fluid for that long in your transmission? The service tech in Florida said I didn't have a leak and was surprised that I made it. He called our dealership here in Texas and they took care of it. Then it has been one electrical issue after another. Today my my husband and I went to lunch together, after lunch we were walking toward the van and noticed the tail lights were on. At first we thought it was the sun. After checking it out we realized that it wasn't the sun but that the tail lights never went off and would not go off. Worried that we would run down the battery we took the van to our dealership. They checked it out and said it was a electrical issue and could have it fixed in 20. My husband was beside himself. We decided that we should check into trading it in. The thought of running out of our warranty and still having electrical issues was concerning so we proceeded with our options of getting a different vehical. They first appraised our van and came back with the shock of the day! The said it only appraised at $17, 500.00. We about feel out of our seat. When we purchased the car the sales guy told us that the Entourage would hold its value. My husband went over to talk to the sales manager and he told us that they weren't even ordering nor were they going to carry the Entourage any more because of all the issues it was having. Then the sales manager said that his boss was working with another customer on buying his back because of these issues. They said that we could trade it in on something else and they would see what they could do. We sat down and went through the whole mess with getting another car but then we were going to have to take a hit on the van. We turned them down and went down the street to another dealership to see what they would give us on the van and they came back at $15,000.00. They told us that because of the problems that the Entourage was having they couldn't do more than that. This is wrong! You mean to tell us that a $30,000.00 vehical last year that Hyundai said would hold its value has lost 50% of it value in one year. What is going on?? :mad: Has anyone else had this issue? What qualifies as a lemon? :lemon: Has anyone heard anything?
    Typically, a lemon is when you have the same item fail 3 times in the first year, FWIW.

Resale still isn't strong, in fact ALG gives the Entourage its worst rating (1/5 stars):

https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

The Sante Fe does better, with 3 stars. You may want to try to negotiate a swap for one of those. I think they're more reliable, too.

Or see if the dealer will let you switch to another make that they carry.

Good luck.
  • gnupurgnupur Member Posts: 1
    Reading through this forum thread I have seen many negative things about the Entourage but I think thats more to do with the fact that those that have problems complain, those that are happy stay silent. I have had the 2008 Entourage Limited now for 6 months, 8000 miles and I am happy to say that I have not had any problems with it so far. Most of these 8000 miles are on vacation on hilly roads with heawy trailer behind. The performance of the car is impressive and the transmision so smooth. The kids love the car, both the spacious interior as well as the DVD. For us the parents the ease of access with the power sliding doors and all the luggage space this car is a dream to travel in. Of course the car is not perfect but the few issues are minor like the design of the On light switch as mentioned in another thread by some user that if you leave the light switch in on position and leave the car the parking lights go out when you open the drivers door, but however if you open the passenger door, put the key in and remove it again the parking lights stay on...
    The MPG could be better but one has to remember that the size and weight of this car is similar to large SUV. Features that I would like to see added in 2009 are rain sensors and navigation.
    :)
    One of the coolest things, and something I wish other minivans would copy, is the power seat controls. Of course they are copies of M-B, but who cares, I love 'em. :shades:
    I think my dads 1985 chrysler New yorker, had driver 1 and 2 memory for the seat position and the drivers side mirror position. It also spoke to you in a womans voice.
  • spike2737spike2737 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2007 Hyundai Entourage the first year they came out. After approx. 1 year I went to have my vehicle inspected and was told that all 4 tires were worn down to the wear bar. I have rotated the tires. I only had 19,000 miles on the tires. The tires were Michelins. I brought the vehicle back to the Hyundai Dealer and they told me that the tires were wearing even. I asked them what could be done about this. After arguing with the dealer they told me that they would give me 1 tire but I would have to purchase 3. I did purchase 3 tires. I told the dealer that I wanted a tire that will give me more than 19,000 miles. They gave me Bridgestone tires with a 60,000 miles warranty. At this point approx. 9 months later my tires are now worn to where I have to purchase 4 more. The hyundai Dealer has told me it is Bridgestones problem and Bridgestone has told me it is Hyundai's problem and they have to honor it and make good on the deal. I want to know if anyone has had this problem with their Entourage. I am starting to think there is a problem with my vehicle that these tires are wearing so quickly. Please Help.
    Hi, I purchased my 2007 Entourage in November of 2006, and I just replaced the Michilins for the first time at 22,000, they were NOT down to the wear strip, but they were getting close. It is winter here in Buffalo NY and I wanted a full tread so I got the tires prematurly. they are Kumho KR 21's I think. And they balanced perfectly, they got rid of that vibration i had at 73mph. Ahh! everything is good. Cost $131 each including tax and everything.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I also bought the 07 in June of 06. I just replaced the Michelin's with the same Kumho KR21. I got 35,000 out of the Michelin's. I only rotated them once. All 4 wore pretty evenly. I really didn't like the Michelin's. Good traction in all but snow. I put the Kumho's on because of what I read at Tire Rack. $543.00 for 4 installed with a 80,000 mile warranty.
    That's awful...

The dealer sold you the tires, so demand a replacement set and tell them to go after Bridgestone for reimbursement. 2 sets of worn tires on a 2 year old van is ridiculous. Clearly it's not the tires.
  • cj071364cj071364 Member Posts: 1
    On 3 occasions over 4 months the brakes on my 2007 Entourage have locked up while driving. The dealer has tried three fixes; the last one has not failed in three months. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, what is the fix that works?
  • dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    I read where the 2009 Kia Sedona will have a navigation option... but do not see this for the Entourage? Is this true?

Also, does anyone know if Hyundai (or Kia) will be updating their minivans in the future (interior, exterior, etc.). Would definitely like them to move from the greenish middle dash lights to the blue like in the other Hyundai's

thanks!
  • lemonade3lemonade3 Member Posts: 3
    spike, I had very similar problem, but i had a very noticeable symptom in the drive, I have posts under the "steering vibration" thread.

We had 17 tires on our van. The bottom line with our van is that the front end and the back end alignment did not match. and it could NOT be repaired. (think bent frame) So the tires wore incorrectly. There is nothing wrong with the tires, or the tire company would have had a recall. Yes you could get a bad tire, but not 2 sets. We found our problem by going to an independent tire store and getting the front and rear end alignment data.
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Lemonade has a point. My Michelins lasted 60,000 miles
  • notlimnotlim Member Posts: 2
    anybody having problems with there horn going off when ever it wants. my entourage can be parked in the driveway and the horn will go off for no reason. nothing will happen for weeks and then the horn will keep going off for the next week. went to dealer twice could not give me an answer. anybody else having the same problem.
    Sure you're not hitting the remote lock button while it's in your pocket?

I do that unintentionally a few times.
  • notlimnotlim Member Posts: 2
    the keyes can be hanging on a hook and the horn will start beeping in the middle of the night for no reason
    How odd....must be a short-circuit somewhere.

It should be under warranty so hopefully the dealer can figure it out.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    CR is reporting that Hyundai has decided to stop selling the Entourage:
    http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/04/hyundai-entourage.html
    The Sedona will continue though.
    They didn't do enough to distinguish it.

Plus they have the Santa Fe and Veracruz, so selling 3 different models with 3 rows doesn't leave enough volume for each of those.