Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• sharksoupsharksoup Member Posts: 26
    Anybody else have problems with sensors on their Forester?

Last month had the "barometric" (temperature) sensor replaced, and within a week needed one of the oxygen sensors replaced too. That's the second time on the oxy sensor as both front and rear were replaced (under warranty) within the first 18 months I owned the car; so about 50,000 miles on the oxy sensor, 77,000 miles altogether.

The temp sensor was $275!! Oxy sensor $70. Work done by my local independent mechanic (used to work for Subbie dealer), so I trust his judgement. He's famous for not doing anything that does not need to be done.

Temp sensor made a huge difference. Engine gets up to normal operating temperature much faster now, and no worrying about it hesitating/stalling if it's really cold.
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Are the seats in higher cost models more comfortable than the base x?
    I probably would stick with the models that have the $2k rebates. Also, is there much difference in the radios?

Any other information would be appreciated. I would like to find out that for a few $ more I could have gotten some feature that would be nice to have. The dealer has all the cars locked so it is a pain to get into many cars to look around..TIA
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Even the premium sound stereo equipment isn't that great. Not a Subaru strength, FWIW.

The AWP is nice, I wish that was offered stand-alone or even as an SE model. I'd like heated seats on my next car.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Even the premium sound stereo equipment isn't that great. Not a Subaru strength, FWIW."

But it's much better than the standard radio, the quality is surprisingly okay. I would definitely get the premium sound system again. Some of the road noise drowns out the sounds, however. Gotta love the in dash 6 cd changer and weather band.
    Let me qualify that - the premium sound is fine for any non-audiophile, but those folks will want to look to the aftermarket.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    I put some sound-deadening material in the doors behind the speakers in my X-Premium and I've never had a better car stereo.
    OK, found some tips from Peaty, so I'm gonna try to fix the Forester's clock tonight.

Apparently it's usually just a crack in the solter, and a very easy fix. Hope so! :)
  • deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I want to sell the four original alloy wheels from my "03 Forester XS. They have the Geolandar G900's on them and had about 30K miles. Two have good tread and two are close to needing replacement. The wheels are in great shape, never driven in winter.

Can anyone suggest what would be a reasonable price for these? Are there any good subaru websites where I could post an ad? Also, would these only fit the Forester and only "03? Thanks.

Dan
    Nabisco has a classified section (Edmunds does not).

Not sure if the offset will fit Imprezas, though. There are a lot of Forester Xs driving around.

Price? Dunno, maybe $300 or so for the set? The main issue here is the limited audience, so if the price is high you will not get any responses.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    You might want to consider Craigslist if you have one in your local area. Shipping rims are pretty expensive, so you'd be better off selling locally.

I think $300 may be a bit high for what are essentially just the alloys with worn tires. I think a more realistic price would be about 1/2 that. Your audience for Forester rims is pretty limited. I'd pay maybe around $100 for alloys to upgrade my steel X rims. Replacent tires would cost another $300-$400.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    $100 for a set of alloy rims? Jeez I just sold 1 02-05 WRX Rim and used tire for $100.

-mike
  • sweetsilversweetsilver Member Posts: 3
    Piaa makes a 4" foglight that fits a 4" opening
    Part number is 510
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Nabisco has a classified section (Edmunds does not).

Nabisco is still a company that manufactures cookies and crackers, yes or no?

Is Nabisco also a newspaper? :confuse:

When is the Forester going to be redesigned?
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    >>When is the Forester going to be redesigned?<<

09 they delayed it a year, look for a short year for 08 is what I hear???? The 08 Outbacks are in dealers with the new front end. The pignose is gone. Whether you like the replacement is an opinion. I wonder if the 08 Foresters will have the new...thing...on the front. I don't know if I like it or not.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    subaruforester dot org would be a good place to post. Pretty active classifieds, if you don't mind shipping them.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

NASIOC, actually. We just call it that.

WRX rims are worth more because the offset fits a much wider range of cars that's more likely to be rim shopping.

I think Tire Rack sells WRX take-off rims for under $100 per nearly new.
    Guess it depends on the market. WRX wheels are pretty popular. I've seen WRX wheels with new OE tires for about $300-350 around here. I think Forester alloys are a tougher sell.
    Does tire rack list their take offs somewhere online, or is it an in-person/call them thing?

I saw it in a TireRack ad. It was for snow tires, when they were selling them one season. They specifically advertised those take-offs with a price. $76 seems to ring a bell but don't quote me on that.

They would be nearly new, but have to be sold as used for obvious reasons.
    You have to call and ask for em. Not sure if they have em anymore.

-mike
    Probably not. I was just searching for a price reference.
  • pjpillarspjpillars Member Posts: 1
    The clock on 5 1/2 year 2002 Forester went out a month or 2 ago. It briefly came back on the next day, but then faded out for good. Is this a similar problem to yours? How do you get access to the clock? Pry it out with a screwdriver.
  • toronto_stevetoronto_steve Member Posts: 3
    All,

I'm a Canadian buyer tossing up whether to buy the Subaru Forester X with the Columbia trim (sunroof, etc) but am starting to have second thoughts when I see the better handling equipment at the XS or XT level.

Are there any X owners who can tell me if I will miss the limited slip differential, stability control or four disc brakes? I can spend the extra $ but would prefer not to.

I'm a city driver, looking to own for the long term. Not planning any off-road activity but will be driving in the Canadian winters.

Thanks in advance
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    I cannot speak for the Forester specifically, but having gone from a '96 with open differentials to an '07 Outback with a rear LSD, the LSD is very nice. Here in Fairbanks, breakup is in full swing and there is about 6-7" of heavy slush on the 1/4 mile nearest home (including steep driveway). Even with the terrible OE tires on it, it powers through the slush far better than the '96 ever did.

If you have the option of LSD, I certainly recommend it over an open differential.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    Thinking Canadian Winters (shivers uncontrollably) the LSD is nice as I could feel it shifting power back and forth this last winter.

It was an improvement over the standard AWD (I had an 04 basic X), but in reality, the Subaru AWD itself is the exponential difference. My girlfriend has an automatic and I prefer my manual transmission for driving through the white stuff...more control.

Don't forget the seat warmers. Everyone says, nice, but I don't need that...and then they use them on a single digit day and become converts bordering on fanatics. You live in Canada right? I noticed the four wheel disc as much or more than the LSD as a difference I would say.

If I had my choice though and were going to spend the money now, I would go for an XS sports. You can get one for within 500 bucks of a Premium Package X (US). It cuts some of the "luxury" items while keeping the performance ones and you get Turbo...

But all of this is "want" land not "need" land. A good basic X Forester is one of the best buys out there now. You cannot go wrong. I drive my girlfriends basic X and it has everything you "need."
    Mine (a '98 model) was simple.

Just above the beige trim that frames the clock, you see two tiny slits. Insert a small flat screw driver in each of those and it pulls out very easily. No need to pry.

Then you disconnect the electrical plug.

Now remove the back cover of the black case around the clock itself.

Inside, you'll probably find cracked solter connections to the circuits. I found 3 circuits and basically added a dot of solter to each. That fixed the clock permanently.

Cost was zero, as I already had the soltering iron and solter. Took me maybe 5 minutes, but 4.5 of those were waiting for the iron to heat up! :shades:
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I know many of you Subie owners commute a long distance. Mine starts at the WV border and ends in the Sterling, VA. I am still researching the Forester but have questions on seat comfort. Are they comfortable on the long commute? Would you recommend upgrading to the X Premium for the power seats and moon roof upgrades? Thanks to all.

Rob
    I have the X Premium with the power seats which are of little use to me since I'm single. If I had a wife who moved the seat when she drove it, then the power seat would come in handy. The seat is pretty comfortable until I've been in it for an hour or more. For long trips, it's far from ideal and would be one of my only complaints about my Forester.
    The seats are very different than on my '98, so I can't comment on comfort.

I have an L model, and many times I wished I'd sprung for the S just for the seat heaters. The cold season for us (I'm not far from you) pretty much means you could use the heated seats 8-9 months out of the year.

Get it, the heat is almost therapuetic. I love riding along with Bob to NY because his wife's Forester has them and so does his WRX Limited. :)
  • jetfishjetfish Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at buying a 1999 Subaru Forester from a private owner in my town. Carfax report shows there's only one owner. It has 92 K miles, auto transmission, AWD, ABS, all options including 6-disc CD player, THULE roof/bike rack.

The owner recently changed new front tires, battery, and timing belt, Head Gaskets at 90K miles.

I am seeking the advice and reliability of this '99 S model. MSN Auto shows this model often has transmission engine and engine problem...

Thank you guys...
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I have an '04 with manual cloth seats, and both driver and passenger seats become very uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I drove from NJ to FLA and halfway through the trip, the seats became a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] (literally).

Can't comment on leather / power seats because they may have different padding and/or adjustments.
    Well, the fact that the head gaskets were recently replaced should rule out a major threat of engine problems. I cannot comment on the transmission - I never had any problems with mine (220K on '96 OBW), but there are folks who report "engagement" issues with their transmissions. Basically, they state that the gears (Drive/Reverse) are slow to engage and get worse over time until eventually a replacement is needed. If you drive it and shift gears several times with no lag, then it is not likely a current problem.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I hate to say it, but the seats on my 06 X start to get a bit uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. Adjustable lumbar support helps, but most of my discomfort is in the mid-back area.

Hope the tires have matching tread. You should replace all 4 tires with Subaru's awd.
    Thanks for the seat comfort input. I will test drive the X Premium and work my way through the power seat settings. My big peeve has been the length of the seat cushion. Some makers have really chopped the length down resulting in no thigh support, and that is the area where long distance driving seems to get me. I used to make that drive from the NJ shore to Fla. I think the only car that I was ever really comfortable in for that distance was a friend's 1979 Caddy Coupe de Ville..
    Part of seat comfort comes down to your body shape and how it reacts to certain sitting positions. I had an Acura Integra for years and never ever got uncomfortable on very long trips. A friend of mine had to sell hers because she said it was causing her back problems, just driving around town. Go figure.
    The two concerns are the wheel bearings and the head gaskets for that model year. Transmission problems aren't one quarter as common as wheel bearing failures, so MSN Auto is way off.

Take a test drive, turn off the radio, open the windows, and ... listen. Does it ride quietly? If you hear a chunk-chunk-chunk that varies pitch with speed, the bearings are shot, most likely the rear ones.

Check out the engine itself, top to bottom. Any oil stains?

New head gaskets are good, but you want to check to see if the heads got warped from overheating before the gaskets were changed. If so, you may spot oil stains on the engine block. Check underneath especially.

Also check the front and rear of the block at the seals for oil leaks.

Those 2 items probably consist of about 90% of the problems we've observed here.
    I couldn't agree with you more. My everyday driver is a 2005 Scion XB. To me the seats are shaped perfectly. I can drive for hours in the Box with very little discomfort. My wife on the other hand is only comfortable for about an hour and a half. It leads to a lot of pit stops when we go long distance in the XB. I drive it regularly from Eastern WV to NJ and it fits my frame fine. It's a bit "tinny" and underpowered for the long distance drive but I can tolerate it. I'm waiting for the new XB redesign to hit the showrooms next month before I decide between the Forester and the '08 XB.
    The new one will get the 2.4l engine. I like it better, but I'm concerned about the blind spots, since the new pillar is so wide.

Forester will easily win in terms of visibility. But that's just one aspect. Let us know how you like it.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    all, I wasn't getting any feedback from my post over in the maintenance section, so I am re-posting here. Mark it up as too much splitting of topics...

I need to do "maintenance" for my '03 Forester wheel bearings. Is this simply a pull the hub, repack the grease, and re-adjust the nut? Or is there more involved?

Thanks,

John
    I don't really know of any "maintenance" that is done on these, they are sealed bearings. You maintain them when they start to break by replacing them.

-mike
    John, I never had to replace bearings on my '96 Outback, but I did take a look at them (on front axles) when replacing axles. They appeared to be a sealed unit, so the axle replacement job was actually quite clean!

The bearings on my '69 Econoline are as you describe, but that is a totally different beast. :blush:
    well, I'll be...

I suspected such, but couldn't figure out the "maintenance" requirement in the Forester manual.

A bit gun shy because I had an Isuzu Trooper where I "did nothing" to the front bearings, and ended up burning them up at 90k. They had a similar halfshaft going into the front hub.

John
    I would still recommend continuing to look into it, just to be sure. My model was different, so the bearings might have been different as well. My final statement has to be "I just do not know!" :blush:
    Yeah, I'm not sure exactly when Subaru switched to the sealed ones.

Perhaps it was for MY2003? That was when the Forester was redesigned.
    yup, it was '03 the first year of the new bearings. However I guess the manual didn't get corrected?

John
    As far as I know they've been sealed at least back to 1990. They have changed from needle to barrel bearings over the years but still sealed and not servicable.

-mike
  • jetfishjetfish Member Posts: 15
    Hello ateixeria,

Yes the mechanic check@ an auto body shop found some oil leak in the rear of engine. Is it very critical?

Anyway, I just bought this '99 Forester and join the Subaru club:) Thank you all for the info..

I'll keep updating in this forum for the problems/questions I find on this car while enjoying the Subaru ride:)
    We did a clutch in my buddy's aunt's 99 OBS, and found that the gasket on the oil passage cover on the rear of the engine, under the bell-housing was leaking severely, this caused oil to get on the flywheel and clutch. We re-sealed it before replacing the clutch.

-mike
    Check for that, then. I'm more familiar with the front of the block (O-ring front main seal).