Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I recommend the LL Bean model, for two reasons:

* lined cargo area is stain-resistant
    * rear self-leveling suspension for that desert trip

Though even the base model should do the trick, and prices are a steal right now.

-juice
  • pretzelbpretzelb Member Posts: 64
    The dealer I'm speaking with is pretty competitive, been quoted 23450 for a Bean Edition with the rebate. From what I've read on the boards, thats a screamin' deal. I guess Subies are not real hot in the Atlanta area.

Without using the price quote tool here, that does seems like a pretty good deal. I just purchased a 2.5x and that price only seems about 2k more than what I paid. The LL Bean has some very nice features on the comfort and looks side. Some of the two tone paint options are just beautiful to me. If the extras appeal to you then it's a great package. Only drawback is that you don't get the turbo (if that matters to you).
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    yeah, I don't think I'm going to be able to beat that deal. I will probably wait and see if the May incentives bring any changes and make my decision. I'm leaning heavily toward the Bean over the X Premium right now. I'm sure the turbo would be awesome, but I'm trying to be budget conscious so I won't even let myself drive one.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• swedethingswedething Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else bothered by the headlights? They throw out a beam that seems flat and dull instead of sharp and focused --- Makes night driving difficult...If I use the brights, yes....it's brighter, but still flat. Just got my '06 LL Bean a few months ago, and everything else is good, except this. Never thought I'd miss my 2000 Passat, but....at least the lights worked!
    Swedething
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    juice:

Thanks for responding. I don't think we can get the L.L. Bean in Canada. The XS Premium with a couple of accessories just might do the trick though. The 07's will be out by the end of next month and I'll take another look.

Thanks!
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Is anyone else bothered by the headlights?

I too find the Forester headlamps to be dull but always thought is was because our other car for the last 4 years has had Xenon headlamps.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Anybody heard what they are? Same as April?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    Check here

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Phil Edmondston of Lemon-Aid stated that quality control at Subaru has declined markedly over the past 3 years and customer service has suffered equally. He goes on to say that smart shoppers will choose a cheaper Asian or South Korean SUV until Subaru lowers its prices, raises performance and quality control. I've been a Subaru fan for some time (good all-wheel drive system) and am interested in a new Forester for 07 or 08. What do you guys think about service, quality control, performance, in regards to Subaru vehicles? I know that Consumer Reports rates the Forester very well and that alone means a lot to me. Just wondering.

Mick from Canada
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    what does he know? Forester has been #1 rated for several years in a row, and consistently rates high with the folks that do these rankings.

51k here averaging 28mpg still on the OEM Geos.

This has been a great car, no issues whatsoever.

John
    Declined for which model? Which factory? Legacies and Outbacks are made in Indiana, while Imprezas and Foresters are made in Japan. To say they have all declined is a pretty broad statement; just curious if his claim is any more specific...

I picked up the latest 2006 Lemon-Aid guide last week and found that blurb I mentioned in my last post, thought I'd
    contact some Subie owners and get your take on it. From all the info I've gathered the Subarus (particularly the Forester) receive high marks.
    Subaru supposedly has been known to have a weak dealer network and so-so service. What is your take regarding that?
    I certainly do not agree with all that is published re autos, but sometimes the discrepancies are quite stark.
    Good to hear about your non-issues and your excellent gas mileage. Any info is always appreciated.
    It does appear broad doesn't it? He was not specific.
    How do you feel about Subaru's dealer network/servicing?
    I am interested in purchasing a new Forester - my latest fantasy car is the Impreza WRX STI. But, I need cargo space and the Forester should do the trick.
    Thanks for any and all info!
    I haven't had the car long, so I'm not the guy to answer the servicing question with authority. I did have the oil changed and it was done while I waited; no issues there. As to the dealer network, I'm in seattle (a prime Subie market), where there are 4 dealers within 20 minutes of my house. I've never heard of dealers being hard to come by, and I was originally born in a smaller town in eastern WA state that, you guessed it, had a Subaru dealer. Maybe the midwest or southeast is different :confuse:

• slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Subarus are not as refined as Hondas/Toyotas but they are extremely reliable. I have put over 310,000 miles on two Subarus combined (Forester & Legacy) and I didn't have any major issues.
    I agree about dealership experience though. It is bad, especially in the locations where they don't have competition. They are good at doing regular maintanence but when it comes to resolving minor issues, they have standard answers - "it is normal for subarus" or "i can't find/see the problem". A friend of mine owns Hyundai and claims his dealer doesn't respond to minor problems very well. May be dealerships should hire mechanics with OCB ;)
    With Subaru vehicles, I wouldn't expect anything major to go wrong for at least some time (well engineered).
    If anything regarding the all-wheel drive system needed repair I imagine it would be dealer dependent.
    I realize that Subies may not be quite as refined as Honda/Toyota but they appear to me to have more character. At least, that is how I prefer to look at it.
    On another note, do any of you guys venture off pavement (at least on moderately rough or sandy, muddy, trails. I know that the Forester improved ground clearance, and the suspension travel is pretty good, and the all-wheel drive system linked to the 5-speed manual is quite capable.
    My wife and I are desert rats (being from Canada we like to head down to the Southwest yearly to dry out) and prefer to venture out into the back country.
    We originally were thinking compact 4x4 trucks, but with the liquid gold rocketing skyward, and the fact that compact trucks are now being phased out, we thought Subaru.
    Cheers!
  • dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    I have only 2000 miles on my '06 Forester but I'd say overall quality is excellent. My only complaints are with the cruise control which is worthless on hills; and the hill hold "feature." Nearly every time I pull away from a stop, the car momentarily acts like the parking brake is engaged. I've been meaning to talk to the dealer to see if that can be adjusted.
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    So far, so good at 38K for my '03 Forester XS Premium with AT. No problems at all with it. Sure, I'd like a little more power, and certainly better mileage, but maybe by the time I'm ready for a new one in a year or two/three/four HP and efficiency will be up another notch or so. I like the safety factor A LOT and I'm still pleasantly surprised every time I buy something big that I think won't fit into it ends up doing so.

Agree re: cruise control's inefficiency on hills. Solution: cancel it and coast down the steepest of them, taking care to rev up to 3K before re-engaging the tranny, (pace purists), and use my foot on the gas going up to avoid the CC's delayed downshifts. MUCH more efficient than kicking into 4K at the sight of a slope!

Quick audio question: I'm one of the last lucky ones who has the 6 CD changer AND the cassette AND the AM/FM, but is it possible for me to plug an MP3 player into it too somehow?
    lol me too on the 6 cd/cassette.

But you didn't mention the Weatherband on the same unit, I use mine all the time. 2003 XS 5MT.

John
    Ok, here is my take on off-road. I measure ag fields as part of irrigation system design, and I am often on loose dirt, beach sand, and sometimes even muddy clay. The Forester is a gem when it comes to loose stuff, it floats all day long and never spins a wheel. Same is generally true for snow, especially with snow tires.

But, if you are talking deep road ruts, big rocks/small boulders, rapid changes in angle, the Forester doesn't have adequate ground clearance or big enough tires.

So the answer, once again, is "it depends".

John
    Phil Edmondston of Lemon-Aid stated that quality control at Subaru has declined markedly over the past 3 years

Phil needs a check-up from the neck up. Seriously.

The exact opposite is true.

Head gasket issues hurt Subaru until around 2002, but has not been an issue for the past 3-4 years.

Wheel bearings on Imprezas and Foresteres were an issue until 2001 and 2002, respectively, again no problems for the past 3 years as Phil states.

Those were the two big issues for Subaru over the past decade. Both before the 3 years he mentions.

Boy, does he ever strike out with that statement. I have never seen anyone be more incorrect, honestly. :sick:

-juice
    Cruise control isn't a biggy for me - sorta like being on auto pilot. Of course, there are exceptions to that, perhaps when one is crossing the Prairies (Plains). My wife likes the sound of the hill holder feature, and it would certainly have its advantages.
    If that is all you can come up with, then that is good!
    Thanks.
    Subaru seems to move along nicely with upgrades. The 06 certainly should be zippier than the 05, right. And with a car the size of the Forester, I'd want a manual.
    The safety issue is important to me as well, and what it says to me is how well Subarus are engineered. And I'd be using it to haul stuff, they seem efficient that way too.
    I imagine the 07 will have some minor tweaks, satellite radio, etc., and perhaps a re-design for 08?
    I wonder if I can wait that long.
    Cheers!
    Thanks John! I just wanted confirmation from an owner of what I have heard from other sources. It sounds like the Forester would be sufficient enough for us.
    I can barely imagine taking a $35000 4x4 truck out into the rough stuff regardless.
    I'm seriously beginning to wonder about Phil myself. Lemon-Aid and Consumer Reports have been my Bibles for more than a few years, and I took them seriously. His info just didn't seem to jive with others.
    Thanks Juice!
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    Phil Edmondston has had an axe to grind against Subaru for years. I'm not sure why, but he's never been a fan. However, disseminating false or misleading information about them publically goes beyond 'not being a fan'. I'd put a lot more stock in Consumers recommending every Subaru as a 'best bet' for used cars.
    In Canada, Subarus do command a premium price if compared to the U.S., but that's about the only complaint I would have. FWIW, my '98 Forester is running fine at 105K miles, with no major and very few minor problems. My 2 cents.
    Regards, Owen
    He needs a time machine. If he had written that in 2002, I'd have to agree. But the past 3 years means 2003-2006, and they haven't had any major issues; it's actually been a very good run for Subaru.

For MY2004, Subaru was actually Consumer Reports' most reliable brand, period. Even now, forecasts for new cars, all Subarus are forecast higher than even the best Acura.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Nearly every time I pull away from a stop, the car momentarily acts like the parking brake is engaged. I've been meaning to talk to the dealer to see if that can be adjusted.

The hill holder clutch can indeed be easily adjusted so that it doesn't feel like you've got the parking brake on.

-Frank
    That's good to hear Owen! I certainly value CR. Are you ever tempted to trade up for a newer model?
    I certainly am considering a new Forester. I'm sorta waiting for the redesign (2008 model?), as I'm not exactly enamored with the most recent refresh, particularly the grill. I'm eager to see how Subaru will move forward with the Forester design. My biggest problem is justifying it, because there's really no need to get a new car. My old Forester is running really well, and I see no reason why I couldn't get many, many more miles out of it. I remember when I was younger, when cars got to 100K miles, they were DONE. :sick:
    Regards,
    Owen
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I like the current one, I'm just curious to see how much they stretch the wheelbase.

Here's the catch, if the new one looks fantastic, the price will be a lot higher, less incentives plus a higher asking price to begin with. So we're stuck. If it's a hit, we'll end up paying $3000 more, probably.

-juice
    If the rumored diesel engine really does become available in '09, my next car is a done deal :)

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Ha! If the redesign has a significantly stretched wheelbase, I'd be tempted to get one of the last of the current models since tossability means more to me than rear seat room :P

-Frank
  • nhnissaninvanhnissaninva Member Posts: 13
    gm--

RE the MP3, if you have a cassette in the car a "cassette adapter" will probably work fine, typically $20 or so. I just bought a 2006 Forester really a shame they don't put an input jack on the front (or a CD MP3 decoder in the unit.)

BUT I should have a fix tomorrow. I ordered a Lexar LDP-600 MP3 player. They have a built in FM transmitter to talk straight to your radio without needing multiple gadgets as with an iPod. Also the player takes an SD memory card. So a 1 gig card can be treated roughly like a "cassette" tape that hold 1000 minutes of music.

Ordered mine on Ebay for $60 plus $15 S+H, just google up LDP-600 if you want to read about it.
    amen, I will grab a diesel Forester in a second. But only if I can't get a restyled Baja diesel.

Diesel cheaper than regular now in central CA.

John
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Has anyone heard if an automatic sportshift may be included in 2007?
    The redesign of the Forester is a sure thing for 08?
    Maybe it'll end up looking like a squat Tribeca.
  • lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    It could be, they seem to like the new grille.
    Not really, the Tribeca did not meet expectations, though the tamed-down Impreza exceeded them. So the milder version worked.

Any how, rumor has it the Legacy face lift did not go in that direction. We'll have to wait and see.

Diesel - I have mixed feelings. A while back, around here diesel was costing 30-40 cents more than regular fuel. Now it's only a few pennies more, and the range would more than make up for it. Also keep in mind that when they go to low-sulfur diesel the prices will go up slightly, some predictions about another 7 cents per.

So the higher gas prices go, the more diesel presents an advantage.

I would consider one, but probably not a first-year model. Subaru has no experience with their own diesels.

-juice
  • jsrjsr Member Posts: 2
    I have a new (600 miles) Forester XT 5 speed, and I've noticed something that MAY be related to the electronic throttle. Trying to maintain a constant but low speed in 1st or 2nd -- say, in a parking lot, driving around in a shopping center with speed bumps and traffic, or approaching a red light from a ways back -- the car tends to buck a bit, as though the engine is being lugged. That's not happening, however, since the rpm's when this happens are too high for that, 1500 to 3000. It happens when I'm applying VERY light pressure on the accelerator, or just after releasing that pressure.

To check on this, I went in to my dealer's service dept. this AM and one of the techs drove around with me for a while. He wasn't sure about it, but thought there was a chance it was a result of a new fancier flywheel Subaru introduced in the 2006, to combat, he said, shudder in acceleration that had been noted on earlier models. If it keeps up, he said to bring it back when the Sub tech rep is at the dealer, which I will do. Anyone else noticed this?

I've had a good deal of experience driving a 2004 FXT and a 2005 Legacy GT (both 5MT), and this problem (if in fact it is a problem) did not occur on either one.
    I have noticed a less-linear throttle reponse, ever since the Phase II engines came out, in 1999-2000. But they went to throttle-by-wire since then so it may have changed yet again.

-juice
    Juice,

Are you sure? Who sources the diesels in FHI heavy equipment? I would be astounded if the big garbage trucks didn't have Fuji diesels in them.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas where I live.

Bob
    They may have really big and really small diesels, but where's the 2.0-3.0l ones that would be able to sell here? It'll end up being a clean-sheet design I bet.

-juice
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Diesel or not, the rest of 'em need bigger fuel tanks, especially the XT. The range is absurd.

Doug
    The redesign should address that.

For its class, the tank is actually not the smallest, not by a long shot.

-juice
    yep, on the same page now. But I submit that they DO have experience with diesel engine engineering and fabrication.

But I also bet they bring in some current diesel engine gurus to make something quite modern and efficient. It won't be a cast iron boxer engine.

John
    John, I've read that the new diesels will be boxers, likely aluminum blocks with iron sleeves. Not sure about the heads, though. Obviously any engine configuration other than a boxer would be difficult to integrate into existing Subaru platforms.
    Owen
    Where did you read that? I'm interested in diesels myself and with the intro of low sulphur fuel, it would be more of an enticement. What model year are we talking here?
    And how about the extra cost of the diesel engine?
    Diesels have high compression so I hope they bring in a gasket specialist. I'd hate to see that problems creep up again.

-juice