Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Wave and Meet the Owners

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Listen to the folks that make these forums what they are. Go back to the way it was!!!!!

Unfortunately I really don't see that happening. This whole change of direction to become like most other automotive forums has come from the top down. It certainly hasn't been driven from the bottom up.

Someone at a high level has decreed that this is the way to increase profitability, by increasing the number of hits Edmunds gets. More hits equal a higher advertising rate, which equals a greater income from the advertisers.

Unfortunately (again), it doesn't matter what we, the long timers and regulars, feel about the changes. In fact it doesn't really matter if we go away. Our number will pale into insignificance compared to the number of new hits that will be generated.

The new system will generate many more extremely specific thread titles. Whether or not those threads contain any pertinent information is irrelevant. What does matter is that someone using a search engine (Google etc.) will now find that Edmunds regularly appears close to the top of the results for their very specific search, as search engines will prioritize thread titles over content within them.

So, more search engine hits equate to more site hits. More site hits mean more income. It doesn't matter whether those people coming here find the answer they want, it's just the fact that they came that's important. Under the new site model it's important that as many people as possible come here asking questions and looking for answers, anything else is a bonus.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Unfortunately (again), it doesn't matter what we, the long timers and regulars, feel about the changes. In fact it doesn't really matter if we go away.

And if the newbies wind up finding little or no accurate/useful information, so what? It's the amount of hits that will determine the success of the new format.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Can we old members just go on as usual in here, instead of in our old hangout, Jeep Wrangler? Maybe new folks will find us and ask some questions in here.

If nothing else, we can at least stay together and communicate amongst ourselves. I would hate to lose track of the good friends that I have in here.

Tomster
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I'm in.

Terry
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    if they are going for more web hits, they need some help in the search engine optimization department.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I agree but I don't think it will change. Money will win out over community. Mac said it all and we may be stuck with the reality of a poor decision for all the wrong reasons. John
    And if the newbies wind up finding little or no accurate/useful information, so what? It's the amount of hits that will determine the success of the new format.

Exactly my point.........and because of the way that search engines work, it should be an initial success in terms of increasing the number of hits.
    The problem is that instead of a 'Problems & Solutions' board, there will be hundreds of individual topic titles with questions on very narrowly defined problems. Who is going to be answering them all?

The beauty of the new system (for Edmunds) is that not only will new visitors be coming here because Google has found a thread title encapsulating the very question they want answered, they will be encouraged to start new threads, thereby drawing more people here.......and so it will repeat.

Again, who will be answering these questions?
    I imagine we can, as long as it doesn't get too popular.

Apparently, that was the problem with 'Jeep Wrangler', too many posts.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I'll be here. I don't know about being able to answer all the questions (or even a small fraction of them). But I love reading posts from everybody.

Like many of you, I hang out on other automotive forums as well and if I need VERY specific help, I'll go to those forums, to other sources that I've used successfully in the past. I suspect if Edmunds is trying to recreate a specific automotive-type forum for ALL the vehicles they cover, I suspect they're gonna need a LOT more money and a LOT more servers.

There ARE options for a friendly community-based Jeep forum, right Tom? :)

-Paul
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Long time lurker checking in - My "Jeep" piggy bank is getting full just waiting for the JK to get the bugs out. I spotted a cool video on YouTube with the new '07s on the Rubicon. I also agree with the concensus of the new forums, but if we all stick here it should be like nothing changed (except the number of posts for awhile)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heads up - somehow we managed to have two Wrangler "meets" going. We'll combine this one with the *Wave* and Meet discussion and keep all of y'all together that way.
    We'll combine the Meet the Members posts in here shortly; meanwhile the recent tire thread now has its own discussion. Please talk about your 31's and 32's in there (ok, 33's too, and toss in a few rims too!).

Jeep Wrangler Tires
    I hardly felt the bump as you hitched the coaches together. ;)
    That's because Tides disconnected the front sway bar and I aired the tires down. Keep it under your hat but another friend came along and gave us a nudge with his Hummer H1. :shades:

For those looking for the recent active tire thread, we put it over in Jeep Wrangler Tires.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Yep, I've always thought of this forum as more of a hang-out forum and talk about how we love our Jeeps (my previous Grand Cherokee rant aside...).
  • Everytime I hear news reporting about the Southern California wildfires, I worry about Mtngal...Has she checked in here? I hope I'm wrong and that wildfire isn't causing her grief or any of the other SoCA folks that frequent our forum. Let us know how you're doing if you can.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Tom's absolutely right. Let's just stick to this "meet the members" area and keep helping each other out. Hopefully the newbies will hunt us down.

-Dan
  • brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hello Everybody...so far I got all my questions answered and I'm trying to keep following this forum....I'll stay here and follow you guys.... ;)
    Welcome. I have been to Kentucky many , many times. A beautiful state with friendly people. Went to college in West Virginia (in the 60's). I am in Windsor,Connecticut and just wanted to welcome you to Jeepland. It took you awhile but you did it. Go Easy, John
    Welcome Aphaltcommando. Great handle. It sounds like you can definately turn a wrench. I tend to drop them on my toes. Are you near the Guadeloupe Mountains? Anyhow, from one Army vet to another-rock on. Go Easy, John PS- Taylorcraft???
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Where in WV did you go to college?
    Beckley West Virginia. What is now Mountain State University. It was Beckley College. Its a very interesting area. Wild and wonderful with great people. Ideal for a Jeep because of all the dirt roads. I only had my thumb in college. John
    It's probably common knowledge, but I recently noticed the following in a press release from earlier in the year.

"Offered in two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited utilizes the same five-link solid-axle suspension configuration as the standard 2007 Jeep Wrangler."

Article Link.
    That's a shame about them offering 2wd Wrangler..blasphemous!

Did you guys see the thread about the Jeep truck?
    http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/scrambler.html

Looks pretty promising, as it's based on the new Wranglers.
    They even speak of a "kit" to convert any '97+ wrangler into a truck. Interesting. :surprise:

-Dan
    Designed and built by AEV, with new conversions available through Jeep dealers.......cool!

The retro conversion looks good but seems a little pricy to me. I liked the rear mounted winch though.

"The retro conversion looks good but seems a little pricy to me"

yeah, 10 grand is quite a chunk of change.
    I like how "low profile" that rear winch is. If the hook wasn't hanging out, you wouldn't instantly know there's a winch back there.
    I'm a big fan of rear mounted winches. It's often much easier to pull yourself out backwards when you start to get stuck, than it is to pull yourself right through to the other side.
    .........so someone else has.

Yes, that's a 6.1 Hemi in an '07 4dr JK 'X'.

Read about it here: Burnsville Offroad.

"Cummins has announced it will supply 4.2-liter V6 and 5.6-liter clean diesel engines to DaimlerChrysler for light-duty vehicles. We can get an early look at the potential of such deal at SEMA next week when Jeep shows off a custom Wrangler Unlimited from the Mopar Skunkwerkes group. This teaser email I received says it's powered by a 4.2-liter diesel. Code named 50 JK, the hardtop Jeep features custom bumpers, 4-inch lift, 35-inch tires, carbon-fiber hood, Dana 44 axles front and rear, GPS and full saddle leather. This one's sure to be "Trail Rated." All totaled, Chrysler will have 65 vehicles on display at SEMA. Wonder how many will be boasting fuel efficiency?"

The above was taken from here.

A 4.2 V6 Cummins diesel would be an ideal power plant. Hopefully this isn't just a tease. I can't imagine anyone complaining if the 3.6 V6 became the base model, with the others having a choice of a 4.2 V6 diesel or the 6.1 V8 Hemi! :)
    Very interesting, as a supplier for Cummins and living in Indiana, it's official that Cummins has a V6 and a V9 light diesel duty in the final stages of development. It was also confirmed 4 weeks ago that DCX signed an agreement with Cummins for these engines, as you know, Cummins already supplies the Dodge Ram 3500 with its diesel 5.7 liters. The only question now is in what products the light diesel would go and at this point, I believe the V8 will be powerplant for a Dodge Ram 1500 Series. Anyway, I will be at SEMA tomorrow for a couple of hours and check those Jeeps there. If anyone else visit SEMA, please let us know your comments ;)
    Hi guys, I'm trying to bring my '97 TJ to its original condition, having said that, I purchased one e-bay a set of bumper guards (the rubber original ones that come with two bolts on it) and when I tried to install it, I could not reach the bolts from inside the front bumper. I was late to get to the airport and did not have time to look in detail, however, I could not find easily how to remove the front bumper. Any suggestions, have you done that? Can I install the bumper guards without removing the front bumper ? As I mentioned before, I have this '97 TJ for 3 months and having lots of fun with it at the same time learning a lot how to replace parts and work on it. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Sorry, guys, I'm in Vegas but not crazy yet, I had a typo in the post above, I mean Cummins is working on a V6 and V8 light diesel engines.
    I hope you remember to take your camera with you!
    The front bumper is attached to the ends of the frame rails with Torx bolts. Assuming that the bolts haven't been replaced with something else, you'll need a Tx55 bit to remove them. This usually comes as a socket to fit either a 3/8" or 1/2" standard attachments. I'd suggest giving repeated applications of PB Blaster over several days before attempting removal.
    I think the V9 is the successor to the Hummer's 5 cylinder job. :shades:

For future reference, you can edit your posts for 30 minutes after posting.
    Hey Mac, thanks. And do you also agree that I most likely have to remove the front bumper to install the front guards that I mentioned ? I'll check for those torx bolts and see if I can remove those.
    Too late for this one, but thanks for the tip, I did not know it's possible to edit up to 30 minutes after posting.
    You can already see some of those 2WD versions of the Wrangler for sale at e-bay. I really think it's a stupid move, OK, if they want to market the Jeep brand and sell carbase vehicles like the Compass with 2WD option, I could understand that (kinda), but the Wrangler has the history of the 4WD capability and they may ruin that. I just hope that those 2WD do not sell at all and than DCX may understand it...."it's a JEEP think, it looks like DCX does not understand it" ;)
    And do you also agree that I most likely have to remove the front bumper to install the front guards that I mentioned ?

I'm pretty sure that you do, as I think that one of the nuts retaining the pad is concealed by the end of the chassis rail. Have a good look to make sure though.
  • gungfu524gungfu524 Member Posts: 3
    My name is Steven Mac Kenzie I live in elkton MD, I just bought my first jeep wrangler thursday. My fiance noticed that all the other people that were driving wranglers were waving at us. Well I just happen to run into this site while I was searching for some cool stuff for my new toy. Now I know why all those people were waving at us I will now be sure to return the wave.

1997 jeep wrangler
    4cyl
    stock for now
    Welcome Steve, I'm also a new owner of a Jeep Wrangler Sahara '97. I bought it in September (Labor Day Weekend). We never thought (Myself and my wife and 2 Year old son) would be enjoying it so much. By the way, I asked a lot of question on mine at the Jeep Wrangler Forum (it's read only now) and the people here gave me a lot of suggestions on what to check and what to do. Good luck, I looking forward for some snow now!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the purchase of that Wrangler!

Oh yeah, the old Jeep Wave. You gotta do that to really be part of the Jeep family.

Glad you have joined us. As brazuca suggested, there is some great reading for new Jeepers in the Jeep Wrangler message board, which has been closed to new posting, but is still available for reading.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Good job! Any more details on the 'Jeep Wrangler Limited'? The placard says 4.2 Diesel but the underhood pic shows a 3.0.
    Hi Mac, I will be posting more pictures. Yes, you're correct and I wanted to see with my own eyes if they really had a 4.2 liter under the hood. I opened it and to my surprise, it was a 3.0 liter :( . They can't trick real car guys ;) ">