Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Wave and Meet the Owners

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "If you can spin a good yarn or dream up a good-looking vehicle, you may have a crack at these Jeep contests."

Jeep Partners With Miller Lite in Custom-Vehicle Giveaway
    And no, I'm not fishing for WWII punchlines. :P

Hello, Mudda: Euro Camp Jeep

• jeepdieseljeepdiesel Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone swapped a diesel into their Wrangler or CJ? I'd love a 30 MPG vehicle like that!
  • cdrahoscdrahos Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I got your comment on the other diesel page. If you are interested we are starting to do diesel conversions in customers cars. As you read before we installed the Cummins on mine and it has been running perfectly. We have geared it way lower to 3.50 gears so 5th gear actually means something now. We run 35" tires on it which help it go about 70-75 mph on the highway. It's getting about 28 mpg around town and about 30 on the highway. I'm actually in PA outside Philly, in a town called Harleysville. Let me know if you have any questions
  • jeepdieseljeepdiesel Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Thanks for the info. I just bought www.ebay.com item # 170141115406 - It has a 6 cyl Cummins. Scroll down a bit to see about 10 nice pic's.
  • kingsbluekingsblue Member Posts: 1
    Hey cdrahos,
    I live in PA and I'm very intereted in a diesel Wrangler that gets 30mpg hwy. The only thing that's stopped me from getting a Wrangler as my primary mode of transportation is the 15-16mpg that they get. My 4x4 Dakota gets the same. I've been looking to buy one but wanted to see if anyone had done a conversion to diesel. Have you done many others? I have a friend that lives in Paoli. If I knew I could have this done, maybe I'd look for a Wrangler with a bad engine somewhere near there. Only prob is I don't know much about diesels. I'm looking for better mpg and a longer lasting engine, not so much for torque and rock climbing. I like the idea of the VW Turbo diesel 4's. Some of them get like 40mpg. Probably wouldn't get that in a Wrangler with it's brick like areodynamics. Get back to me, I'd like to see/hear about what you've done.
  • deirdrebethdeirdrebeth Member Posts: 2
    Hi all;

My name is deirdrebeth and I'm now (as of two days ago) the proud owner of a 2004 2.5L Wrangler. I'm based out of San Jose, CA and am really looking forward to some off-road driving! I have a friend who hang glides and the road up to the jump point is impressive.

I'm glad this site is here as I'm SURE I'm gonna end up with questions.

:)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard, Deirdre! Be sure to check out the Jeep Wrangler discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jeeperwomanjeeperwoman Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My 93 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L wouldn't start this morning. It will try to turn over but won't actually start. I had this same problem almost exactly 1 yr ago and it was the ignition coil. I would like to try to replace it myself this time so does anyone know where it is located and how I would go about doing that?? :sick:
    You may be able to get some help in Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (up to 1996).

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    In my 1995 YJ 4 cylinder, the ignition coil is on the passenger side of the engine. Follow the center wire back from the distributor (the can/cylinder-shaped object that has 6 wires coming from the "rim" and a single wire coming from the center). The coil has one thin wire and one fat wire IIRC.
    Many other things could be wrong - tidester's suggestion leads you to other owners who have had similar symptoms and different causes.
    Good luck.
  • frisdoo2008frisdoo2008 Member Posts: 1
    Hello-
    Where did you get that frameless top?
    Looks awesome!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    That's a Viking Fastback top.

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Nope. It's a Rock Gear (Farmington, NM) frameless top. Doesn't use the door surrounds like the Viking top. That said, I'm not sure Rock Gear is still around. I had heard they'd closed up shop, but I've also heard they've re-opened.

Gonna be hard top weather here soon enough. Trying to get those last few topless days in.
    Picky picky. :)

I heard Viking had some issues and stopped production for a time, but not sure if they restarted production yet.

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    The Viking top actually looks to be the better design--you have to roll the windows into pouches on my top, but the Viking top windows just lay on the top and get covered with a second layer. Probably much faster. I do like that there are no door surrounds on mine, which is a cleaner look top-down.
  • tonyt2tonyt2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a question will a 1980 cj7 hard top and full steel doors fit a 1980 Wrangler?
    Thanks
    Tony
    Wranglers didn't exist in 1980. :)

If you meant 1990, I've heard that the CJ tops will fit on a YJ (with square headlights), but have never seen it done personally.

-Paul
  • tonyt2tonyt2 Member Posts: 2
    Paul, thanks for the info I typoed yes it is a 90 Wrangler
    thanks again
    Tony
  • jdward4446jdward4446 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all i am Jay from North Carolina. Am new to Jeeps but have wanted 1 all my life. Just got luckey and got me a 2004 TJ. Has 31s and the rest is stock. Any help on mods would be great.">
    Lotsa mod choices. What are you wanting to do with it? Just for appearances or are you wanting to get into offroading? Your goal will help you determine which mods are best for you.

-Paul
  • jdward4446jdward4446 Member Posts: 5
    some appearances. But mainly wont to get in to off roading. thanks for any and all help.

Jay
    You are opening a HUGE can of worms/opinions.

I went mild with a 2.5-3" lift by Old Man Emu from www.dpgoffroad.com. I also added a 1.25" BL. this let me fit 33x12.5x15" tires. Added lockers for traction and armor for body protection.

Here is mine.

I've done additional mods, like regearing to allow for the larger tires, done interior changes, added winch, etc.

The budget can be anywhere from $200 for a simple budget boost with spacers and longer shocks, up to several thousand for long (control) arm lifts over 6" or so.

For a good daily driver, like mine, and something that can handle moderate to challenging trails, 3-4" is probably your best bet. Go with a quality lift setup like OME or Rubicon Express. They will provide the best on-road driving feel. Many items are available from several vendors, but shop around because the prices are not always the same. Places like JCWhitney and Quadratec can be higher priced than places like www.dpgoffroad.com, www.northridge4x4.com, redrock4x4.com, 4x4groupbuy.com, etc.

You can add functional and appearance mods like driving/fog lights, racks, flat fenders, LED tail lights, side rails/steps. The choices really are unlimited. If you have particular questions, just ask.

-Paul
  • texasgurljenntexasgurljenn Member Posts: 2
    Name: Jen
    Birthday: 06/28/88
    Family: dont have one yet but i have a great family.
    Use of Jeep: my everyday jeep :) i love it and im proud of my jeep.

Hi, Jen! Welcome aboard.

If you haven't done so already, check out the many topics in the Jeep Wrangler area.

And let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Welcome to the site! I used to live in Texas and lots of friends there. Whereabouts in TX are ya?

-Paul
  • jeepguy48jeepguy48 Member Posts: 9
    just found this site a couple of days ago and got some great help so far

Jeeps: '97 wrangler that is my daily driver with some wide open throttle issues and a pile of parts that I hope some day will be a very cool '48 pickup.
    Family: wife and 3 girls
    Welcome aboard, jeepguy! We're looking forward to seeing your comments in the Wrangler discussions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • propagator4propagator4 Member Posts: 4
    Hey y'all,

Name: Pete
    Birthday: 7/11/85
    Family: Not married. For now I'm happy to have parents rather than be one.

Jeep: 1998 TJ SE. Doesn't have a name yet. I wanted to wait to get to know him/her better first. My first and favorite car (which is sadly no longer with us) was a male, so this one might end up male too. The Jeep has 29 inch mud tires, diamond plate rocker panels, and a small lift kit. I am hoping to get more exterior armor, bushwacker fenders, neoprene seat covers and rhino line the interior.

Anybody from the Twin Cities or New Orleans?
  • gungfu524gungfu524 Member Posts: 3
    Dont do the rhino lineing I did the herculiiner in my jeep and a friend did the rhino in his mine looks much much better> My friend is wishin that he didnt get the rhino lineing in his now that I did mine with the herculiner. Upgradeing my tires to 31 10.50 this week and a 2 inch body lift
  • propagator4propagator4 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice. How do they look different? And what's the difference in performance, and the difference in feel? I've been told I can get Rhino liner put on really thick, so it almost feels like there's a thin layer of padding on it.

Also, is there a cost difference?
    If you want to line your Jeep, be sure to consider sun fade. Herculiner is known for fading unless you apply a protectant. I'm not sure if it has to be done every so often, but it IS something to consider.

If you REALLY want to do this, I'd go with Line-X. That stuff they put in pickup beds. VERY tough, meant to be exposed to the elements, and should last longer. You will pay more, but you will also get a warranty if you have any issues. Not likely if you roll/spray on Herculiner. Rhino lining, if professionally applied, should have a warranty as well.

-Paul
  • gungfu524gungfu524 Member Posts: 3
    I like the texture of the herculiner better its not as thick so it dont add=
    weight.=A0 As far as performance i beat the living crap outta mine and it =
    holds up just fine.=A0 The problem I have found with the rhino lineing is t=
    hat its about 1/4 of an inch thick and adds about 50 to 100lbs to your jeep=
    and these days weight equals poor gas mileage.=A0 As far as the rhino line=
    ing being like a padding its not its very hard so is the herculiner but its=
    thinner and just as durable and more versatile as to where you can put it.=
    =A0 I didnt just put it on the floor i wrapped it around the entry and made=
    my own entry guard and put it on the roll bars and on the lip where the re=
    ar window channel is so to prevent the paint from comming off from people c=
    limbing in and out of the back seat.=A0 Some of my friends like to climb in=
    the back by putting their foot on the top of the tire then steppin in beca=
    use they find gettin in around the seats to be a bit of a pain. As far as
    the cost difference its a big diference the local dealer around here wante=
    d $600 to spray just the floors in my jeep it was gonna cost around 1200 fo=
    r them to do what i wanted to be done and they wanted me to take out all bu=
    t the drivers seat.=A0 The herculiner only costs 89.00 for the kit and prob=
    ally around 10 bucks for tape to mask off the areas you dont want it on and=
    probally around 10 to 20 bucks for the thinner you need if it thickens or =
    you get it somewhere you dont want it and it takes about a weekend to do th=
    e floor and the roll cage and plenty left over for whatever elese you can t=
    hink to put it on the possibilites where you can put it are endless.=A0I am=
    on a limited budget and I do all the work myself and maybe enlist a few of=
    my friends every now and then.=A0 I do have one question for all you jeep =
    addicts out there is it possible to put an after market shifter in a jeep T=
    Ouch, please work on the formatting.. that hurt!

Aftermarket shifter? As in knob? or entire lever?

Rhino should not be 1/4" thick. If they applied it that way, they did it WRONG. PERIOD.

If I do mine, I'll likely Line-X it, but I'd remove consoles, seats, etc to minimize what the place would have to do. They would basically have to prep and spray. If you herculine it yourself, I sure hope you prepped the metal right and then used xylene to clean it all off. If not, you will be reapplying it VERY soon.

-Paul
  • koubiekoubie Member Posts: 2
    I just joined this great site. I have a problem with my heater/air.cond. When the air is on and hot outside there seems to be quite a bit of hot air that blows thru the lower vent. Any feedback would be appreciated.....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Jeep Wrangler drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tracy3999tracy3999 Member Posts: 10
    I have looked and asked everyone and everywere( not the jeep dealers yet) and can't find what im looking for!! I need new weatherstripping for the bottom of my back window!! It just goes along the bottom of the window so when you close the little back door the top window goes down so the rain doesn't get in.. I have a 2004 jeep wrangler tJ.. does anyone know were i can get this strip for my back window? It's not the the round rubber that goes in the window .. It's the thick piece that goes on the bottom of the window.. if you have any idea were i can purchase this it would be great!! Thanks.
  • pparcellinpparcellin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 wrangler and drivers side directional and emergency flasher stopped working. Night running lights still work. I replaced the 2 way bulb, same problem. Passenger side works fine...any thoughts?
    My thought is that you may want to post this in the Wranger 1987-1995 forum where you're more likely to get it addressed. :)

As for your issue, it is probably just a relay that went out. Flasher relays are located on the steering column in a TJ, not sure about the YJ.

-Paul
  • CapnDuckyCapnDucky Member Posts: 2
    Just found site. Need some advice. Looking for a hardtop roof rack to haul 2 kayaks on 04 Wrangler Unlimited. IFound a Yakima Sport Cag Rack system that has permanetly attached rails that allow many other accessories to be used. Any opinions?
    Thanks
    Capn Ducky
    Keep in mind, the TJ hard top IS just fiberglass and there really isn't a whole lot of reinforcement for support...

I'd personally go with a cage/rack that mounts OVER the hard or soft top, being supported by the windshield pillars and legs running to the rear tub. Something like this:

or

Pictures from http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp?pr=Jeep_Congo_Cage_Racks but you can find these in quite a few shops.

-Paul
  • kirk04kirk04 Member Posts: 1
    I finally purchased a 2010 Wrangler after waiting for over 30 years to get a Jeep. I fell in love with a high school friends Jeep Honcho after he took me out to a local mudhole. I have never been able to afford one until now and the stock wheels and tires 255/75R17 are nice on the road, but not exactly how I want it to look. I am not a serious off roader, but want to get some wheels and tires that are more aggressive, matte black wheels. I have been looking online, but I am no expert and really at this point don't want to put in a lift kit, yet. Any suggestions, good websites? Thanks!!
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Hi Everyone,
    After many years of Jeep-envy, I'm about to take the plunge. I'll probably be getting a Sahara Unlimited, due to needing the 4 doors. I used to be a Host here at Edmunds, so I know my way around negotiating a good deal. Right now what I'd like to do is talk to other owners and get some real-life info on this vehicle.

So...Hello and Goodbye - I'm off to the other topics to get more information!
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    I am sure you will enjoy your Sahara. I purchased a 2010 2-dr Sahara in September with all the goodies and am really having a good time with it. It has served me well off road, and with the Siris and Nav/Bluetooth/Voice Recognition suits my needs around town and on short trips.

The only upgrade I made was upsizing the tires just a bit.

It is a 6-speed amnual that had the popping out of 1st issue. This was resolved when my retailer swapped out the interior shift boot. It hasn't happened since then (4 months/5k miles).

I read all this bad press about Chrysler and the trickel down to its other brands but quite frankly, I don't see it. My Wrangler meets or exceeds my every expectation.

Enjoy.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I've had 3 Chryslers in the past 6 years...a PT Cruiser and two T&C vans. No problems with any of them. I also had a Dodge Ram 1500 that I owned for 5 years with no problems, either. While I'd probably stay away from the Jeep "soccer mom" cars like the Cherokee or Liberty, I believe that the Wrangler series have proven themselves.

Where I live, you see a LOT of Wranglers on the road, mostly the 2-door versions. I have two VERY big dogs, so I really need the 4 doors. Around here, a Jeep is the best vehicle for our tough winters and top-down summers.

I'm glad you were able to get your problems resolved. I'm looking forward to posting in the near future with some brags about my new Jeep!
    No input for the JK, but I'm still preferring the TJ's. Aftermarket support is a LOT cheaper for parts on the TJ than the JK, but as the JK is out longer, it'll get better... I hope.

-Paul
  • grizzly6grizzly6 Member Posts: 5
    I have alway's liked jeep's I have a 2005 jeep wrangler tj with a hardtop 4 banger 6 speed and I love it I live in N.H. and we have a lot of snow some time's I just get in and'go my wife has a vw, I alway's drive my wrangler.

Gordon Nelson
    Center Ossipee
    N.H. :)
    edited July 2011
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    That reminds me of my '76 CJ-5.. :)

Fatter tires, a roll bar and a custom bumper, and you'd be right there!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited July 2011
    I picked that pic because it reminded me of my '74. :shades:

Mine had a roll bar but otherwise looked very similar.