Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• officerozofficeroz Member Posts: 25
    here in the DFW metroplex have the 1500 Hemis in stock, and are selling them pretty fast, or so it seems...I looked at several, and even drove one that had the premium radio pkg, so I know they are currently available. You may have to get the SLT or Laramie pkg to get it though...
    As for protective side moulding, I have noticed that most of the new Dodges do NOT have them, which certainly seems odd. Most previous year models had them standard on SLT/SLT plus series. I browsed the lot of one large dealership today and found only 3 of the 50 or so new trucks in stock had side moulding...
    officeroz
  • impulse63impulse63 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered 1500 qc,hemi with side curtain air bag on Jan2,03 , truck arrived at dealership today,1/30, will pick up tomorrow.
    At the time i place the order the 6 in-dash cd was not available. order was placed in Cincinnati ohio
  • touctouc Member Posts: 28
    As far as traveling and ride, how do you Ram 1500 owners like it? (gas mileage, handling, etc.) Did you test drive a Tundra? If so, other than the cab space, why did you choose the dodge?
  • kaczor1kaczor1 Member Posts: 14
    I recently bought a new Dodge 1500, with the Hemi, 4wD. I looked at the Ford's, Toyota Tundra, and Chevy. Of course, I have been a Dodge owner in the past, so may be somewhat biased towards them. The Tundra is a really pretty truck from the outside, but the inside parts seem cheap to me, and the price is way up there too, it was also a stiff ride, but not a lot of comfort very small back seat, and even the front was a little small for me. I'm 6' and want lots of head a leg room. I had a passenger taller than I ride in the back and he said he was comfortable in the dodge. They do ride so much smoother than the older models. Now, for the gas mil. it sucks, but of course I knew that going in. With those engines and power, you are not going to get much. I am averaging 12 to 13 miles around town, haven't had it on the open road much so can't help you there. We have had quite a bit of snow, so have used the 4wd a lot, and of course that cuts down on the gas mil. But boy does it go good in the snow. I have the quad cab, and must be something about that extra weight in the middle that makes it do so well. All in all, I'm very pleased. I went from a Nissan Pathfinder to the truck, as I had always driven a truck before, and am very pleased to be back to it. If you don't mind the lower gas mil. I think you will love the truck!
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    I kind of doubt a extended cab 4x4 v-8 tundra is going to do much better then 12-13 MPG around town in 4wd in the snow! At BEST in 3000 miles of use, the Toyota might save you $25 in gas. Hardly worth considering when you are talking about $30,000+ purchase prices. The v-8 4x4 Toyota is rated 14/17, and the 4x4 Hemi Ram 13/17. So equal drivers in equal conditions will only see a 1 mpg difference. Problem is that the Hemi's exhaust tone begs to be released.
  • iaajiaaj Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if the 20" tires are available yet in an off road / all-terrain type for the 2003 Ram quad sport laramie w/hemi? Also, although Edmunds shows P275/55R20 tires as an option, I've only seen P275/60R20 at the dealer - are both being offered from Dodge? Is there a big difference between the two sizes?
    -j
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    The 275/60/20 is for the 4x4 and although not a mud tire, it's more of an off road tire. The 275/55/20 is for the 2wd and more of a highway tire. I have the 2wd and we have been getting pretty pounded with snow and it's doing great. I was going to buy dedicated studded snows for the new truck but was planning on waiting until next year. The 275/55/20's are about 31" tall and the 275/60/20's are about 33" tall. The both are the same width, almost 11".
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    "The Tundra is a really pretty truck from the outside." Please! The Tundra is ugly. The headlights are bland, the taillamps are simply ugly and the side just looks plain boring in extended or regular cab.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'm not really struck on the appearance of the Tundra, but I'd be hard put to tell kaczor1 that he's wrong.

You can argue about the quality of materials, engine power, legroom etc., but appearance is purely subjective.

Some people even love the Aztec!
  • silverramsilverram Member Posts: 7
    I have a '02 Bright Silver 1500 Sport, 20" wheels, 5.9L with approx. 12K miles on it. Absolutely love the truck and still getting compliments on it after a year. It has graphite leather interior with power front seats. I noticed that the front drivers seat (could be the same for the passenger seat, but I don't spend much time there) seems to have some "play" in the seat after it has been set (i.e. it isn't stationary). More specifically it seems that the the seat reclining back has small movement after the seat back has been set. Has anyone else found this? I have tightened everything I can get a wrench or screwdriver on and think it is in the seat mechanism internally. Debating on taking it to the dealer to be looked at but thought I would see if anyone else has noticed this.

Also, being from Chicago, the truck is in the midst of it's first salty winter. I have noticed small (pin head) sized spots of what appear to be surface rust develop. They are quite small and there are not a lot of them and I can easily remove them with my fingernail after a good washing and waxing/polish, but I find it odd that these develop since I have never found this on any of the other vehicles I have owned. Has anyone experience this? Maybe they are just more easily discovered on the bright silver, most of my other vehicles have been black or graphite.
    Probably atmospheric pollution of one sort or another. If your truck was delivered by rail it's possibly brake dust from the railcar wheel brakes.
  • needatruck2needatruck2 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to decide on a new pickup. My wife and I really like the Dodge Ram 1500 but I'm having a tough time getting past the horrible ratings given to the Dodge by Consumer Reports. We have also looked at the Tundra but are not happy with the room in the back seat. Toyota is suppose to come out with a true Club Cab next year however and we are considering waiting. Reliability is a big desire. Any advice?
  • peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    Don't believe everything that Consumer Reports states. A few years ago they stated the same thing about the Dodge Ram (being left behind in styling and amenities) but at the same time they could not get a fully load truck to test because they were in such demand. That should tell you something right there. I have had a 01 Quad and now a 02(new style) Quad and we travel to Dover DE from Washington DC for the races with five adults(one that is 6'1" in the rear seat with minimal discomfort mainly because of the straight back seat. The only draw back of the Dodge is the so so gas mileage but you accept that before you buy it.
  • utloggerutlogger Member Posts: 17
    As a 25+ year subscriber to Consumer Reports, I've become very skeptical of the magazine's ratings. Last year for example, two major purchases (windows and vinyl siding)I made based on CR's favorable ratings cost me dearly in lost time and money due to the inferior products CR recommended. On the other hand, the Dodge Ram which CR so often downgrades has been the most totally enjoyable vehicle I have ever owned. My '01 2500 Cummins Ram is a joy to drive and is very reliable. In over 37,000 often abusive miles, my only complaints relate to defective outside mirrors which Dodge replaced under warranty at 3,000 miles and a somewhat noisy heater fan. Other than these minor problems, the Ram has performed flawlessly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Consumer Reports, however, has been so unreliable and has caused me such frustration with its questionable ratings (my opinion) that I will not renew my subscription.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Grain of salt, that's the only way to take their car ratings.

I won't say any manufacturer makes a perfect vehicle, but the variance between the best and worst isn't much. I've seen true-love and horror stories on every make. I just buy what I like best and hope for the best.

I've got an '01 Ram 2500 QC 4X4 Cummins/Auto that's been used to pull between 8,000#-14,000# for over 100k miles now. We've had the balljoints and front pads changed at 80k miles, the rest have been oil changes. Dodge paid for the ball-joints under warranty, even though the truck was far from being in warranty.

We just bought an '03 3500 QC 4X4 DRW HO-Cummins/6-speed since our load has changed to between 12,000#-16,000# which is too much for a SRW 2500. I drove all-three other big trucks and still like the dodge package the best. They were all +/- $1500 so price wise it's about even in my book.

Half-ton trucks are a totally different ball-game. If reliability was my #1 and only criteria the Tundra might be better. The early models had quite a few problems but so far the newer ones appear to be doing well. I've destroyed a newer style ('98) F-150 so don't plan to work those.

If you're just looking for a car the Tundra might be worth waiting for if they're going to put more motor in it. I've had several Toyotas and while some of their new products seem to be lacking in quality compared to previous ones, they're still a notch above the rest in things like fit/finish, materials, etc. My early model Camrys were bullet-proof and hit 200k miles without issues. My '97 Camry was not that great and my daughters '02 Celica GTS has been quite problematic in less than 10k miles. It's a crap-shoot on reliability IMHO.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Consumer Reports has a love affair with all the Japanese makes, Honda and Toyota in particular. When fault is found it is downplayed. The reverse is true on other makes. Read the reviews (all of which are biased) in other magazines and you will find that CR stands alone in its opinion. All the magazines tend to have a bias, but if you read enough articles, certain things tend to repeat themselves. For one, the new style dodge pickup probably has the least number of problems of any new model truck put out. Including the beloved Toyota. Actually if you browse around the other sites you will find that Tundra owners are not as happy with thier purchases as they expected.

I will give it this, if you want a car-like ride in a truck, the Tundra does that best. There are a lot of people that like that soft feel. You can't have that and still load the bed with 1,800# of stuff in the back and not expect that the handling characteristics to become so dramatically changed that they are down right dangerous. I take the rougher ride and the safer handling when loaded (that's when I'm most concerned with safe handling).

They all make a good product, they just shine a little better in some areas more than others.
  • beetlebug2389beetlebug2389 Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a '00 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. We have been very satisfied. We got a very good deal on it and were pleased to find how spacious the inside was compared to other models. We have bought Dodge/Chrysler vehicles exclusively for the past 7 years and have been extremely pleased with the quality of these cars. We have a '97 Concorde that has 176k miles on it and has never had the transmission replaced, and the only work we have done frequently is oil changes/maintenance. The only parts we've had replaced frequently (more than twice since we've had it) have been oxygen sensors and water pumps. In my opinion Dodge and Chrysler are far better than Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet or GMC, and are far more reliable. As for Consumer Report, their reviews aren't worth reading.
  • dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.2 V-8. I am trying to find a new style intake plenum pan that bolts to the bottom of the intake manifold if someone could give me a link so I can find the new plenum pan I would really appreicate it, Thanks.
    Is this a part that the dealer doesn't carry?
  • lbrosslbross Member Posts: 24
    Just ordered my dream truck: '03 1500 QC Bright Silver with the HEMI, 5 sp auto, SLT with Sport Package, tow group, premium cloth seats, power pedals and under rail bedliner. Best looking, best handling truck I've ever driven. The HEMI is fantastic! We will use the truck as our tow vehicle for our 27' travel trailer.

I am planning on installing Westin Platinum Step Bars and a tonneau cover when the truck is delivered (hopefully 5/103). Any suggestions for the tonneau? I want something that won't flap around on the highway. Thanks!
    Have you looked at hard tonneau rolltops like these:

imageimageimage

Not the only manufacturer but it shows the idea. A little pricy but it's my ideal kind of a cover.

http://www.pace-edwards.com/rolltop.asp
    Mac24,

I've been looking at rolltops -- I agree, pretty pricey, but they seem durable. Do you have one? Any leaking problems?
    A collegue had one, I was envious!

His never leaked, but he did have a problem once when it was covered with soft snow which melted, then froze overnight. The whole thing then locked solid until he thawed it out by pouring hot water over it for a few minutes.

I like the one that's combined with a toolbox that I've pictured below. I didn't know it existed until I saw it there. Seems to combine the best of both worlds, but I've not actually seen one.

Best I can do at the moment, but I'm sure you get the idea!
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Roll tops have a weakness for some users. The canister that stores the top when open can be crushed if a heavy load shifts forward (hard stopping). If the top is rolled in there at the time, you will lose not only the canister but also the top.
    I hadn't considered that. However, I don't suppose that it would be too difficult to fit a crossbar into the bed in front of the cannister (or the load) under those circumstances.
    You raise a good point. I would think that a spray-in liner or bed mat will help prevent shifting as well.

Had a look at a Retrax cover. Any thoughts on those?
  • cknottcknott Member Posts: 61
    Folks,

Entertaining the thought of purchasing a Dodge Quad Cab Hemi, 5spd Automatic, 4wd. It appears that equivalently equipped rigs(1500 vs. 2500) are about $2000 apart. What are the obvious differences between these two vehicles, and what are the nonobvious differences between the two vehicles? Thanks,
    Chad
    The heavy duty trucks have a different frame, different suspension (front is solid-axle on the heavy duties), etc. Basically just beefier parts. You'll find the 2500 will ride rougher and the steering feels less "car-like". I imagine (but don't know for sure) that the heavy duties also have a heavier braking system.

Obviously, towing and hauling will be much better on the 2500, but it's also heavier right from the start. Depends on how much, how often, and how well you want to pull/tow. I notice Dodge is starting to roll out some incentives on the 2500's so the prices might get closer. Up until last week I don't think there was any incentives on anything over a 1500.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Sebring95 is right - the 2500 is a beefier truck. I love mine (though I've got the Cummins diesel engine)! I believe a 2500 will be a few inches taller than a 1500 as well. The bodywork is identical (outside of badging) - all the difference is in the frame and drivetrain.
  • mettechmettech Member Posts: 28
    Now have 1200 miles on my new 2500 ram 5.7 hemi. Today I looked at the tail pipe and it had a lot of black carbon in it. My Lin Cont with 120K 4.6L doesn't have it. The Ram runs OK, but could it be on the rich side?

Anyone else have the same?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    For a number of reasons the residue at the end of the tailpipe is not a good indicator, and especially true when trying to compare two different vehicles.

In newer systems engines run considerably leaner than engines of thirty years ago. So, during cold start and short trip operation it is common to see a heavy black carbon-like build up on the inside of the tailpipe near the end. Because As the engine warms and runs leaner, and with a hot catalytic converter in effect, the exhaust is actually clean enough to not leave any residue.

Some older engines never went quite that clean and would turn the end of the tailpipe various shades of grey.

Dusty
    Is there a way to track the progress of my 1500 QC factory order through Dodge? I thought I had read that you could go on the Dodge.com website with a tracking number, but I can't find it.
  • loncrayloncray Member Posts: 301
    Dunno about tracking it online, but I was able to call Dodge with my VIN after my 2500 was ordered - they were able to tell me where in the chain it was. Once upon a time you could track the train car your truck was on, online - but I think 9/11 did away with that, and I don't know if it's back. Try this website: http://dodgeram.org/ram.html - I believe they have the tracking info you're looking for.
  • harrystewartharrystewart Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in purchasing a ram crew cab but I have noticed that in both diesel and gas engine configuration there is not any insulation under the hood. This makes no sense since this would greatly reduce engine compartment noise. All other competitors do use insulation. Is this the case on all models?
  • peppe1peppe1 Member Posts: 54
    I have a 4.7L and there is not that much engine noise to worry about. There is more engine noise in my 2000 300M.
    Peppe1 is right. I have a 4.7 Dakota that does not have hood insulation and there is very little engine noise that gets to the passenger compartment or is heard outside the vehicle. In fact, it is almost as quiet as our Toyota Avalon. The 4.7 (287 cid) is an inherently super quiet engine.

Dusty
  • scotthemiscotthemi Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2500 Hemi and it's really quiet up front. No more noise than the Chevy I had before it.
  • 03variantq03variantq Member Posts: 6
    I have to sell my truck because of a new addition to the family. I am concerned about what the dealers are offering me. My truck is a 2002 Quad Cab 2WD SLT 4.7, auto, Leather, Sport Pkg, 20" Wheel/tire pkg, Infinity, steering wheel controls, tow package, bedliner, tonneau, remote start, etc.. Here's the kicker, I have 32,500 miles on it. (I towed my cycles up & down the east coast.) The dealers are trying to give me anywhere between $16-18K for it! This truck listed for $30,630 new! Any idea what I can really get if I sold it on my own? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Considering you can buy a new one for $26,000 and the fact the dealer has to make money selling your truck, it doesn't seem unrealistic to me. Nevermind the 4.7L isn't very desirable now with the Hemi being available. You might get around $21,000 on a private sale. Vehicles drop substantially the first couple years.
    Unfortunately, it also doesn't help that a private buyer won't have access to interest rates that a dealer can offer. Also, you're unlikely to attract a private buyer with the mileage you have, unless the price is reduced to match, which brings you back to where you started!

Just curious, but were the prices offered for an outright sale, or a trade in?
    These are the prices I've been offered for both trade and outright sale. The trade figures are against a dealer cost price so there are no over-allowances. I owe $22,500 on it... this is where my issue is. I want to get somewhere around $20K for it. I think that is fair, my truck is immaculate other than the mileage and I've been told it is the right color combo - Silver/Black Leather.
    I can see where you're coming from, but unfortunately the actual value has no relationship to the amount you still owe.

I just checked Kellys ( www.kbb.com ) and they show $16,750 trade and $18,880 for a private sale. It might vary a little depending on your zip code. It's the mileage that's killing you. When I plug in 7000 miles it shows $19,650 and $21,835

Dealers obviously know the prices, and any private buyer is likely to do at least a little research.
  • toyunkitoyunki Member Posts: 25
    I currently own 95 Grand caravan and it has 200K miles on it. I have changed tranny twice, and costed me alot.

I looking for new car, and looked at Ram 1500 SLT Quad.

How much should I pay for? I just need power options, Hemi engine, sliding rearwindow. I think getting Hemi engine is good Idea, for only $895 more. I should intimidate any sports cars and used value would be higher with Hemis.

Also, is Hemi engine reliable? isn't it very old design? If it is just reliable as Caravan's engine I would be happy. Caravan's engine still runs as new, trany is what make problems

please answer these questions I will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for all of your input. I would like to get around $19,500 for the truck, I don't think that is unreasonable.
    Check here on Edmunds (www. edmunds.com) for pricing. Just put in the exact details of what you want. The hemi will be more attractive at resale time. I wouldn't try to intimidate too many sports cars though, it might be bad for your self esteem.

The hemi is too new to assess reliability, though anything seriously bad would have come to light by now. It's not the same engine from years back, and pretty much just shares the name.
    I have rearched the Hemi engine and it is same mechanism. I think the engine use 2 spark plugs for one cylinder? and block is same as old ones?

Not sure but checked in Mopar engine part, or something like that site.

they said Hemi is fuel efficient and better combustion, but had emmission problems.

I could be wrong because I read it through internets.

But I have to find if Hemi engine can last 200k-400K miles without repair.

Also, How does your Rams Transmissions? is it last over 100K miles? I have owned 5 American cars and three of their tranny failed before 100K miles others last longer but had other problems.

Is Ram reliable? like trouble free for over 100K?
    or is it going to be like other american cars I have owned?
    for 4.7 and 5.7?

what do you guys get?
    The answers to most of your questions will only be available after the new hemi has been in operation for a few years.

Personally, I think it's unlikely that any engine will run, as a matter of routine, for 400k miles without repair.

How well your vehicle survives depends how well you maintain it, how you drive it.......... and how lucky you are! You can buy a Lexus that's a lemon or a Kia that runs 100k miles without problems. It's only if you're buying a fleet of the same kind of vehicle that reliability figures become more important.
    Yes I know that;).
    besides 5 american cars I also have/had Hyundais and Kias and and two hyundais running fine without any trouble, one with 110K miles and other with 46K miles. On other hand one kia is 98Kmile without trouble, but other with many troubles with engine, sold it at 40K miles.

So far my best engine was 95 3.3 grand caravan engine has 200K miles and trouble free infact it is still smooth as brand new, however two tranny failure( $2000 each) and many little things, like alternators, and pulleys, ect.

So far American car with automatic tranny gave alots of trouble, infact changed 5 times. But I heard that some BMW owners alos changed tranny around at 100K miles.

My friend in Korea had Hyundai Sonata Auto and tranny failed at 100K mile and cost him $700(labor and parts is much cheaper in Korea, for ex, some brake pads are less than $10), and believed that BMW would last longer and bought BMW for $50000, which last a little more 120K miles, and traany failed which cost him $7000, because it is so expensive to fix BMW in korea. He said With $7000 he could buy new Sonata. jokingly.
    Chrysler engines have had a reputation for being as bullet-proof as one can get. When I worked on automobiles for a living, they were characteristically the least likely to have much trouble with the engine at all. When this did happen it was almost always the result of owner neglect or abuse. While we were doing 10-15 valve jobs a month on Chevys, we seldomly had to ever open up a Chrysler motor. They escaped the soft camshaft era pretty much (except for early 2.2s), their valve guides went three times the mileage as GMs and Fords, I've never seen one spin a bearing or throw a rod. About the most repeatable thing I could think of was timing chains stretching on the LA series V8s (273-318-360s).

The new Hemi is a completely new engine. There is nothing in the new hemi that is the same or compatible with the old 426 cid motor. So far there have been no negative characteristics identified, but like someone else pointed out this engine is still quite new. Traditionally, if Chrysler is going to make a design compromise, it won't be in the engine.

Most engines from any manufacturer nowadays will go 200K without major repairs. There are some that have higher repair histories, some less. My company has run GM fleet cars for many years and the V6s are less than stellar. In trucks, Dodge and GM v8s have been pretty good, the Fords seem to have more problems in this area.

Dodge truck transmissions are well built decendants of the A904-A727s, which were extremely reliable. However, in the 1980s Dodge adapted overdrive to both versions with less than stunning success. The good news here is those problems have pretty much been remedied with lubrication system enhancements from 1998 onward. The new 545RFE series has been as solid as a rock so far. This is the transmission you'd get with the hemi.

Good luck,
    Dusty
This discussion has been closed.