Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I was in the same boat and actually wound up with an Accord SE manual. Actually quite a bit cheaper than the 3GT. $18,600 for me (including destination) I actualy got a quote for $17990 after I bought, but it was 400 miles away.

The Accord is definately larger and smoother - the M3 handles better and is more tossable, but the Accord handles well too. The Mazda also has more options. I was also looking at the EX-L Accord for $21,200 (including destination).

BTW. The 4 cyl Accord is a tad quicker than the M3, so no need to go for the V-6.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Thanks...
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    when i bought my civic, dealers had lots of accords in stock, but they were usually deckded out ex-l's (which were around 25k) and th ev-6's were approching 31k.

The civic was a bit better for me at a meager 19k.

I know that the gti can get pricey, but since i would opt for a four door with a limited amount of options like the dsg and maybe some floor mats, i'd be in the 23-24500 price range, which yes is about the same as an ex-l, but the gti is a bit faster, plus i don't have to worry about passing myself everytime i drive anywhere. (i like the accord a lot, but this is its only drawback imho.)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The new Civic has a timing chain now instead of a timing belt. Much better design.

The Sandman :)
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    I guess if you like the ricey lights on the 3 go for it. Nothing says "kiddie car" than those cheesey taillights. Plus the interior is plain, tacky, el-cheapo stuff. a Japanese Ford for sure.
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Different strokes for different folks!!! Some like the 3 very well. I think the M3S GT has the best lights of all, and all LED. I am Modifying the car to have different tail lights, 3rd brake light all LED's, front and fog lights all will be changed. My 3 will be better in look than a BMW. :surprise:

The inside looks and feels awesome for the 3 GT. The other models I have to agree, they suck. ;)
    I think my Civic's interior is a bit better than the wife's 3s but not by that much. In the almost 2 years that we've owned the 3s, it's interior has held up pretty nicely. They did replace the front carpeting, as it was coming up a bit by the drivers seat. Figured they'd only patch it.
    Do prefer the seats in the Civic with my spine problem. But the 3's seats are almost as good actually.

• 07corollas07corollas Member Posts: 5
    Some of the Mazda 3's have an annoying "skid plate" seperating the oil filter and the outside that some(maybe most) oil change place will charge you more for your oil change.
    my buddy had to pay this extra fee every time he got his 3's oil changed. just fyi
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    that is a load of crap. That is just a way for lube places to get extra money.

There is nothing tricky about changing the oil in a Mazda3.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    It's just a matter of personal taste, I suppose. When I shopping back in 12/05, I narrowed my choices down to the '06 (new) Civic EX and the Mazda3 s Touring. I didn't care for the Civic's unconventional interior design, but it did have the quality materials and near-perfect assembly quality I'd expect from Honda. My biggest gripe was the lack of color combinations! Honda's rigid, limited color combos is the one thing (maybe the only thing) about them that drives me insane. I owned nothing but Hondas prior to my '06 Mazda3 (had seven Hondas over the prior 15 years). They've never been flexible with color choices. Want the Civic EX in White? Hope you like Ivory interior! Want it in Black? Better like the Gray interior!

I know it simplifies things for them, but every other major manufacturer offers some choices. Mazda, Nissan and Toyota offer at least two interior colors with most exterior colors. An exception to that would be the Mazda3, which is somewhat limited in the same respect. Until 2007, the s model's interior was much like the Ford Model T- you can have it in any color as long as the color is black! =) They have a choice between black and gray on some exterior colors for '07.

I think the Mazda3 interior is great in most respects. I wouldn't mind a little less red lighting (reminds me of 90's Pontiacs gaudy red backlighting). Otherwise, I think it looks as good or better than any of its competitors. The seats are more comfortable on long drives than any of my previous Hondas, the switchgear feels solid, no rattles, great gauges and the leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob are icing on the cake.

In retrospect, I'm glad I got the Mazda3. I might have went with the Civic because Hondas are all I had owned and had great experiences with them. The two main reasons I didn't get the Civic were- 1) I hated the ivory interior but didn't like any of the exterior colors that came with the gray interior and 2) the 15-inch wheels on the EX look dorky compared to the 17's on the Mazda3. The EX deserves at least a 16-inch.

I've had the Mazda for over 18 months and 35k miles and have only been back to the dealership once for a minor issue with the clock. It feels as solid as it did the day I bought it.

I do miss one thing about the Hondas- the fuel economy! It is without a doubt the Mazda's worst feature (and the only negative, in my opinion). Even my Accord V6 automatic got better MPG than my Mazda3 s manual. The Accord averaged about 27mpg and the Mazda is at 23.5mpg to date.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    you made a good choice regardless, you have a bit more of sporty character, in sacrifice for your fuel economy.

i used to hate the color combos on hondas; but you can now get black on black without it being an si, but it has to be the coupe. the black is now available with the grey interior; mine had the ivory one, which they have thankfully done away with. They finally have allowed the grey with the royal blue pearl.

don't know where the gripes from the wheels comes from; the civic DOES come with 16's, not 15's, on ex trim. They actually fill the wheel wells amazingly well, no real upleasant gaps of any kind, and certainly not wimpy!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    2) the 15-inch wheels on the EX look dorky compared to the 17's on the Mazda3. The EX deserves at least a 16-inch.

As my buddy eldaino has already mentioned, the EX has 16" wheels. Even the plain "LX" model has 16" wheels.

One thing I noticed riding in my friend's '04 Mazda 3s (in bright blue it is a good looking car!) was the excessive tire noise/rumble. I felt like I could predict what the tread pattern looked like by the end of our 60 mile ride. In that regard, having "mere" 16 inch wheels is a bonus. They should also be cheaper to replace than 17 inchers - important to remember when the Civic's mission has typically been "economy" first.
    very true; i still don't think that the civic competes with the 2.3 version, as the mazda 2.3 to me is the kind of car that competes with the base sentra se-r.

we'll have to wait for that k20 powered se trim level civic forever i guess!

but yes, economy is the mission, and 16 inch wheels (very nice alloy ones at that, i prefered them to the 16's on my rabbit now) allow for a better ride, and less money when it comes time to replace.
    I apologize for my error, the EX does have 16-inch alloys not 15. I must have been thinking of the '05 model. But I do stand my statement that the wheel design is unappealing to me. I'd just like to see something a little more aggressive looking and the proportions to the body of the car still seems odd to me. The '05 EX wheel design was nicer looking.

In the Civic's defense, the Si's 17-inchers are both a great looking design and look fantastic on the car. In all fairness, the 16-inch wheels on the Mazda3 i Touring and s Sport Sedans are dinky looking in relation to the proportions of the car's sides, too. The 17-inch on the s Touring and Grand Touring Sedan and on all 5-doors totally change the look of the car, in my opinion.

As far as noise, yes the Mazda3 isn't as quiet as the Civic. The performance-oriented tires are largely to blame. The only negative in choosing a 5-door over the sedan is that the 5-doors open cargo area makes the noise slightly worse. The sedan's trunk absorbs some of it.

All Mazda3s with 17-inch wheels are delivered with a high performance tire that impacts ride quality, makes more noise and wear sooner than normal tires. Their traction is seriously reduced in rain also, something I found out the hard way. In return for all that, you get a subcompact that handles like an RX-8. A cloverleaf on-ramp near my home has a 20mph limit and I managed to hold 60mph all the way thru it when my car was new.

The OEM tires were worn out at 31k miles. I decided to go with a slightly less aggressive all-season Michelin and they're much quieter and the ride is smoother also. The handling isn't scalpel-sharp anymore, but it still handles better than any vehicle I've owned before.
  • steve333steve333 Member Posts: 201
    I plan on replacing the 16 inch Pirelli's on my Cobalt with Michelin also when they wear out. I may get another year out of my 2006 tires and I think the Michelins will also improve the ride.
    Which model Michelin's did you get?
    I miss the good ole days when an EX model got more power than the LX and got a size-up wheel/tire than the LX as well. It's only cosmetic and convenience features now. An EX with 160-170 hp would be nice.

I've always wondered why the base Mazda3's 2.0L puts out 150hp (75hp per litre), but the 2.3L is only 160hp (69.5hp per litre)? It seems like it should have at least 173hp just to match the 2.0L output.

I can't discern much difference in the 2.0L I've driven compared to my 2.3L manual. The sole reason I went with the 2.3L is because I wanted the 5-door which does not offer the 2.0L.

In all honesty, had the Si Sedan been available when I was in the market, it most likely would be in my driveway now instead of the Mazda3. Then again, if the Mazdaspeed3 had been available at that point, it might be out there.....what might have been......
  • rwhrwh Member Posts: 29
    Count me as one of those EX owners who is happier the way it is now. I wanted the "cosmetic and convenience features". I didn't want more horse power or bigger wheels. I think Honda feels their demographic for the Civic is still the person who wants economy and reliability over performance.
    and the proportions to the body of the car still seems odd to me.

do you mean in porportion to the wheel size? because the wheel to body gap in the civic ex is just as tight if not tighter than that of the mazda 3 with 17's and looks much better than the 3 with the 16's. ( i know a family who has a 3 2.3 with 16's and i remember when i parked my civic next to theirs, the lines with regards to the wheel gaps was so much better looking on my car, it didn't look awkward at all.)

All Mazda3s with 17-inch wheels are delivered with a high performance tire that impacts ride quality, makes more noise and wear sooner than normal tires

Really? the last 3 2.3 hatch that i was looking at at a dealer had goodyear eagle rs-a's; i've never seen ANY 2.3 with actual summer performance tires (which fits your description) aside from the mazda speed 3. Heck you can even find Gti's with all seasons, and those cars have more sporting intentions than base hatchback 3's.

the civics interior isn't exaclty known to be quiet; and in fact one of its bad points. (when i had mine, it was worlds better than the 01 i had traded in, but i hadn't really done any other comparisons. My rabbit on the other hand is like a museum compared to either!) But tires can transmit road noise greatly without ever being performance tires.

In fact, the good year eagle rs-a's are commonly seen on civic lx's and on ex's! They are a performance (not high or very high) all-season tire, but nothing more.

While i was hoping for at least 155 hp for the ex ( i still think that the ex should have been the 'se' trim that does not exist, with the k20 and standard 17's and sportier interior) but it would have had to been with a different engine and i doubt honda would have offered all the extra goodies on the 140hp lx to compensate for those who wanted better fuel economy than a civic with a more powerful engine, but still wanted the extras the ex offers.

The ex is not simply cosmetic feature upgrades; it has 4 wheel disc brakes, something alone that made some people opt for the ex.

me? i think they should have been standard across the line, made 2 versions of the ex (ex and ex-s (for the bigger engine version, but able to keep a 140hp ex as well)) and made the dx more of a value with regards to content instead of making it as bare bones as it is. (imagine getting a dx priced civic with the content of an lx plus 4 wheel disc breaks. honda would have had a hit within a hit!)
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    hhmmm... I have a different experience on the interior noise though. Car and driver actually shows the Civic a a little bit noisier than the 3, which is my personal experience when I'm driving my 3 and my sister's Civic. And that's with the OEM Goodyear Tires on my 3. It's not that much difference though, but still noticeable.

At first, tires were slipping now and then when it rains or snows. But as time goes by and drove my 3 more and more, I got used to driving it in the rain or snow with a lot less tire slippage. Once I hit more than 25K on this vehicle, I'll replace my OEM tires with either the Avon M550 A/S or the Michelin Pilot Exalto's. Tirerack users are giving good reviews on these 2 tires with the Michelin's are lot more expensive and wears faster. Anyone have experiences with either tire?
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I rented a Mazda3 while my 98 Corolla was in the shop this past spring. Outside of the purple color, it was a cutie with some VERY sensitive power brakes, and it's HUGE on the inside, to the point where I was surprised how much roomier it was than my Corolla. Being bluish-purple, it had dark interior, which I prefer light, and I WAS NOT a fan of the orange illumination that made me think of constantly seeing brake lights. Were it not for that, I would buy one in a heartbeat, because the visibility, surpisingly, was fantastic. The side mirrors seemed very large, and the fastback rear window really wasn't that much of a problem for me. I didn't have it long enough to find out if the seats fold down in the back. I like a car that has some utility, like my older Corolla. The hatchback would probably be OK, I just hate the styling. The sedan seems much cuter. If I had absolutely no choice, I could do a lot worse than a Mazda3 sedan.

I just flat hate the looks of the Honda Civic. Too much windshield for me. However, I've never driven one. So, I really can't comment much on the latest-generation Civics! LOL

The 8th generation Toyota Corollas (1998-2001) are, to me, the most elegantly designed sedans ever made. They're positively handsome and classy. Which is to say that when they redesigned the current generation (2002-present), I wasn't thrilled with the rounded tail lights, the taller stance, the ugly wheels/wheel covers. However, these newer Corollas are supposedly bigger than mine. And even though I'm less than impressed with the styling, there are other things to consider. A Corolla interior does come in beige; you don't have to have a dark interior. (Although, if they ever bring back the blue interiors I shall leap with joy!) Besides, if they're anything like their older predecessors, they last and last. Mine went eight years before things started going wrong with it. It got the H beaten out of it in a hail storm and kept on going. You can't buy that kind of service from a car. So from the sheer reliability standpoint, there's a reason Corolla is the best selling sedan ever. If you have a daughter who's working the night shift at Taco Bell, or going to night school, and is driving home on dark country roads, put her in a Corolla. It'll take care of her. I would buy another one without trepidation.

So, I guess there are things to like, and things to wish had been done better, about all three cars!
    We both have the 8th generation Corolla and I've actually loved that car when it was still my car. My mom actually took it as her 1997 Corolla was being used now by his husband. My 8th-generation Corolla has more than 140000 miles on it and had never replaced any part except the brakes. And it's still running perfectly!

We almost have the same observations between the Corolla and the 3 except that I loved and preferred the 3, specifically the 5 dr, and I'm now a proud owner of one! :) :shades:
    Generation 8 was and is great! But I wish I could say I got mine to high mileage without replacing anything. Mind you, it's gone 8 years without anything major, and just today I had to put two new tires on it, which is to be expected on a car with almost 125,000 miles on it. But the starter went out on it this spring, which led to my renting the Mazda3 over that weekend. I had to change out a half-axle this year, too, and this morning when I got the tires it was discovered that the transmission was low and looks like it had been leaking. I've always had a rule that when they start to cost me money, it's time to start looking!

But I've had no real complaints on the service I've gotten from her, just turn the key and go (well, when the starter's working, LOL) with no excessive cranking and it's still running original plugs, and it'll be ten years old in November, according to the sticker on the door. I know so many people who have a car not even six months and they have to take it back to the shop. I'm thankful for this car, I'm the only owner it's had, even though it had a few miles on it when I got it it's never let me down, especially back when I was still paying for it! LOL

I wanted to ask you, since you did end up with a Mazda3, did you get used to the red/orange lighting? I know that unless you do your test driving at night, nobody really takes that into account, so I'm glad that I got a chance to keep the Mazda over the weekend and really live with it. My Toyota has a nice green lighting, and I know Hyundai Elantra has a beautiful blue lighting, so I wondered what you thought of the dash lighting, that is, if you even drive much at night at all for it to even bother you. I saw one that's almost the same color of my Corolla (Sanddrift metallic - a neutral taupe color) and it looks a WHOLE lot better than the purple, especially with the lighter interior.

I also thought the gear shift was odd, There was no D-2-L, but some sort of M. It was February when I had the car and I remember thinking "thank God it's not snowing, what would I do for low gear?!" So tell me also - what DO you do for low gear in the Mazda3??
    I also thought the gear shift was odd, There was no D-2-L, but some sort of M. It was February when I had the car and I remember thinking "thank God it's not snowing, what would I do for low gear?!" So tell me also - what DO you do for low gear in the Mazda3??

When you slide the gearshift into the "M" slot, you'll notice you can tip the lever fore an aft. In this mode, the transmission operates as a manual transmission would. A display in the instrument cluster (near the speedo) indicates the gear you are in (1,2,3,4, or 5). For example, from a stop, you'd be in one. Accelerate as you would normally, but YOU decide when the automatic changes gears, by tipping the lever. This is called a "Sport Automatic" in Mazda terms. You'll hear it by many names from other automakers... Acura has this in all of its automatic-equipped cars; Mercedes-Benz, Toyota Camry V6, BMW, etc... all use this technology.

"Howstuffworks.com" has an article explaining this as well.

Allows manual gear changes, when desired, in an automatic transmission. Functions as a traditional automatic transmission when left in Drive, but includes a slot in which the shift lever can be moved to change gears manually. Sometimes, buttons for shifting manually through the gears are located on the steering wheel. This affords some of the advantages of a manual transmission, such as greater control of engine speed for better throttle response, but eliminates the need for a clutch pedal.

I hope this clears things up. Sport-Shift/Manumatic/Automanual (all names that this may go by) is generally a desired option when people NEED automatics, but it lacks the true feel of a manual transmission.
    Yeah, besides the breaks and tires, never replaced anything with my corolla and still running perfectly more than 140K. But I've been seeing some that should be needing repairs now like the muffler and alternator.

Regarding the red/orange lights, I for one prefer either the Corolla's or the Civic. Even though I didn't like the red/orange lighting of the 3, it didn't really bother me much as what I really wanted with the 3 was its sporty performance and handling. I've never owned a sporty car before and the 3 is the first one I've ever owned. :shades:

You're probably asking why did I owned a Corolla if I was looking for a "sporty" car, it's very simple. At that time I bought the Corolla, I want a very reliable "appliance". And the Corolla, the 8th generation that is, is one. And even the current model is also one. Did I mention I also had the same color as you had? LE Sandrift Metallic, bought from Capitol Toyota in San Jose, CA in 2000. :)

Regarding the gear shift, I guess thegraduate pretty much answered the question. I own a Manual as I had previously mentioned so I don't have that problem. I test drove an automatic 3 once and although I've heard about "Sportmatics", I've never expected the 3 to have it. So, when I test drove it, the salesman alerted me to change gears because I was expecting the car to change gears for me. I've actually unknowningly put the car into manual mode. ;)
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    I now have about 1200 miles on the new GT and here's what I think:

-Car drives very smoothly at any speed
    -Have not taken it over 80 yet but north of 75 the engine noise increases significantly but nothing overbearing.
    -Shifting this car is a pleasure, no vibration at all and easy to find gears
    -At this price, I'm not sure there is anything that can beat the handling, highway entrance ramps are fun again. Civic Si probably can do better but at a significant cost
    -Very pleased with the mileage, about 75/25 highway/city driving. 4 fill-ups so far, 1) 29.0 MPG 2) 32.0 3) 33.4 4) 28.2--this tank included a lot of stop and go rush hour traffic into downtown Boston three days in a row.
    Car is very quiet over bumps, no rattles at all, very Honda-like in that regard. I wasn't sure Mazda could match that but I guess so. Next door neighbor has 56,000 miles on the same car ('05 model) and says he has no rattles and no major problems.

This is a car that should please anyone looking for a fun ride that is economical and reliable.

I have been looking for scratches that some say come very easily but I am not experiencing that. The all black interior does show a lot of smudge marks but they remove easily with a wet rag.

Great little car!
    You get 75mpg?!
    Well, I bought a Corolla because I wanted a car that I didn't have to screw with, just hop in, turn the key, and go. And I've been pleased. But lately I've been dying for wood trim! LOL And, I've also been wondering about going back to the stick shift. Here lately though I've been having foot trouble and so that's in the back of my mind, if my only car is a manual and something else happens to my foot, how do I get to work, you know?

I understand the feeling of wanting something more, though. You still want reliable, you just want...more! The Mazda3 is undeniably cute, at least the sedan is, I wish that back end raised up some so you could store more stuff in it because the hatchbacks are flat ugly. Not Scion ugly, but less attractive. The Corolla LE has toys like moon roof and JBL and that great beige dash with the wood trim. And then there are the Hyundai siblings, Elantra and Sonata, who are both way better looking than they used to be. There are a lot of contenders for the buck out there these days, and I'm glad to see it! Makes test driving fun!

You know at the time I was shopping for the car I have now, I was really looking for a Saturn wagon, but the wouldn't come down off the price of them. $15K for a wagon back in 1998 was high in my book! Then I went to another dealer and saw the Toyota program car...the rest is history!
    Hi, thanks for the detailed response. Wouldn't have helped me back then, but it's certainly good to know should I end up with a Mazda. Seems like my cousin's Nissan has that, too.

I think it's silly. Are people that afraid of the third pedal?! It's not the shifting that's important, at least the way I understand it. You get a manual because you don't want a car weighed down by I-don't-know-how-many pounds of fluid and oil so you can get better gas mileage and still get somewhere! To say nothing of the convenience of not having to take time off work to have the car serviced for $150. What good is it to be able to shift and yet you've still got a heavy transmission underneath you?! Mind you, thegraduate, I'm not addressing these questions to you, I'm just kind of virtually shaking my head at all of it! ;)

Anyway, thanks for explaining what the "M" was. I didn't have the car long enough to play with it. I stuck to the gears I was familiar with!
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    While the '06 Civic is "cooler", if you are over 30 - it's a little silly and blingy.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I see nothing "silly" about the Civic in general, just Honda's decision to make the color rallye red available only on the EX and SI trim levels. Generally speaking, the Civic is a very nice ride regardless of your age.
    I couldnt get over the dash and steering wheel-a tad too odd for me. Also, pricey. I decided on the Cobalt because the pickup is excellent and the seats support my back well. The Mazda 3 was impossible to find at the time.
    I ruled out the Corolla afterb taking it for a test drive and finding that I couldnt wait to get out of the car. In my opinion the Corolla is way out of its league and too far outdated to make its reliability and Mileage a positive. I'm sure the new model will be loads better but right now I cant imagine anyone choosing it over a Civic 3, or even a Cobalt. To each his own I guess.
    I know what you mean about the Corolla. Our secretary has an '03 she'll be selling next year. I test drove it and I couldn't get the driver's seat far enough back to get comfortable, and I'm only 6' even. The Yaris was way more comfortable. I haven't test driven a Civic yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. I like the looks of the Cobalt, but GM has a horrible track record with the reliability of their smaller vehicles, so it's not even in the consideraiton running. So far, of all the cars I've test driven, believe it or not I like the Yaris hatchback the best. The redesigned Corolla might be worth a look, but we're gonna have to wait a while for that to be available.
    The Cobalt's reliability has improved alot. It usually takes a couple years to work the kinks out of a new model.
    Be careful about the Yaris, take it on the highway before deciding. Even CR, which usually praises all that is Toyota rated the Yaris very low. If you like to drive, I dont think you'll like the Yaris.
    Mind you, thegraduate, I'm not addressing these questions to you, I'm just kind of virtually shaking my head at all of it!

I completely understand, my friend. I think "out loud" on the forums all the time (lots of people do it). The people that seem to like the manumatic feature don't use it for what the marketing guys from the carmakers say (who tend to say it is the best of both worlds, "the control of a manual without the hassle of a clutch, and the automatic is there for traffic crawling, etc...")

The norm seems to be that people like how easy it is to use the "M" shift gate for engine braking; locking into 3rd gear on a hill, etc.

Always ask a question here; if one person can't help, it is very likely someone else CAN.

Best,

Thegrad
    I don't quite understand why CR, who usually has a love fest for everything Toyota puts out, dislikes the Yaris. They also didn't like the Echo and it generally speaking gets nothing but rants and raves from its owners. I have driven the Yaris on the highway and I'm not seeing what the gripes are about this car. OTOH, many testers have claimed the Fit is superior to the Yaris in almost every way, shape, and form, and I see it as just the opposite. I don't get all the negativity about the Yaris as it's certainly unwarranted.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I don't quite understand why CR, who usually has a love fest for everything Toyota puts out, dislikes the Yaris. They also didn't like the Echo and it generally speaking gets nothing but rants and raves from its owners.

The average CR reader has a household income of about $140k which is probably a *bit* above the those who generally drive an economy car by necessity. Those people are generally driving larger, more powerful vehicles that against which any subcompact will seem pretty cheap.

When I take one of the fleet cars out for a week - especially the high end models - I am always surprised that I can still drive my usual car and be happy with it.
    the civic si is actually not that much more expensive than certain 3 models (excluding speed3, in which the si's handling still is not to far behind.), and while you don't get creature comforts as leather and such, it is the superior performing car. and as ok as the 3's gearbox is, the civic si's is proabably the best in the sub 25k pricerange.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is the Civic vs Corolla vs Mazda3 discussion. Cobalts, Yariis, Echos, Fits don't really belong here. The Economy Sedans discussion would be a good place to pursue some of this recent conversation.
  • somashekarvsomashekarv Member Posts: 4
    HI,

I am planing to buy a 2007 Honda Civic LE. I was wondering if any one has bought the Honda Civic in the past week or so, so I can get the price information that they paid. I am not very good in negotiating the price. Thanks in advance.
    which is weird, since you think people with that much income wouldn't mind a trip or two to the dealer for warranty covered problems on their car. :P
    i'm assuming that you mean civic lx? check out the 'prices paid and buying experience' forum, that should answer all your questions!
    I've never even tried it on the wife's 3s model, and I know she never has. Just put it into D and go. The weight distribution must be almost 50/50 in the car as I almost never feel the car shift going up the power band. Very smooth and has been since day 1, eventhough we had the tranny fluid serviced a couple of weeks ago. Our service policy called for it at the 30k mark and car drives as good as new. Still need to replace the air filter though.

You awake?

When's the new Corolla due out?
  • riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    The new Corolla is *expected* out February 2008. Unfortunately, I need a car before then - and it looks like I will be leaning towards the Civic LX (preferably '07)...

Reason I'm leaning towards Civic, compared to:
    Corolla - want some extras like mp3; lame reasons: new one is coming out soon; sister owns one

Mazda3 - I'm biased and feel a bit uncomfortable being in a car that Ford has a large hand in; more $ than Civic LX and Corolla

I like the fact that Civic has 1) ABS, and 2) extra airbags, 3) AUX in and MP3 cd player

Any advice anyone can share :-)?
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Drive them all and buy the one that you are most comfortable with.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Drive them all and buy the one that you are most comfortable with.
    Agreed. They are all excellent choices for different buyers. The Mazda3 has a long history of reliability and quality in spite of Mazda's long affiliation with Ford. For an independent view, see Consumer Reports which rates them all highly.
    Mazda3 - I'm biased and feel a bit uncomfortable being in a car that Ford has a large hand in; more $ than Civic LX and Corolla

Being ignorant will make you sorry. In this case, it will. The Mazda3 is top rated, and is built in Japan by Mazda. You should atleast drive it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

The Mazda3 i Touring is same price as a Honda Civic LX.

I like the fact that Civic has 1) ABS, and 2) extra airbags, 3) AUX in and MP3 cd player

The Mazda3 also has all of the following. 99% of all Mazda3 i models are ordered with the ABS/SAB/SAC package, and comes with a standard AUX input. You can upgrade to the MP3 player.
  • riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Oh ok, I didnt know that. I'll definitely have to check out CR, and test drive the Mazda3 and Civic again...
    CR likes the Mazda3, as does most every consumer publication.

Like I said, if you don't like the Mazda3, simply scratch it off your list. Only you can determine what vehicle is best for you. The Corolla, Civic, and Mazda3 are all excellent choices.
    As far as reliability, I'd still feel better about the Honda or Toyota, but this is personal bias most likely from having great experiences with my two Hondas.

If you prefer ride comfort, go with the Corolla.
    If you prefer handling but don't want to compromise economy, get the Civic.
    If you prefer the sportiest sedan you can get for $20k or less, and economy is less important, get the 3.

Cons to these cars?

Corolla: Boring, 6 year old design, numb/slow steering, weak torque.
    Civic: Road noise, rear-seat room (both legroom and headroom), styling is love it/hate it.
    3: Tire noise/vibration in the cabin, fuel economy, black interior is TOO dark.

Just a quick little mini-review of these three from me. My dad has a 2007 Civic EX, my ex gf had a 2004 Corolla, and a close friend of mine has a 2004 Mazda3S. That's where my personal experience comes from.
This discussion has been closed.