Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    side airbags are standard on the RSX.

The RSX does five points better on average in fuel economy, which will save you about $250 a year ($2.50/gallon, 15K miles per year), not quite offsetting the insurance increase you mentioned above. Those low profile 17" tires are going to cost you a good $100 more per set to replace every three years, maybe $150 (RSX's 205/55/16 is a VERY conventional size and has been for four or five years, so tire prices in that size are coming way down), There goes another $40 or $50 per year, and you can see we are almost offsetting those insurance costs.

Obviously, YMMV, and I am just making the point that when you start to analyze numbers that small in a new car purchase, "behind the scenes" factors begin to play a bigger role too.

To my mind, what one cannot overlook between these two cars is the $3500 price gulf. As I said in my post a few pages back, that additional $3500 is easily worth it for me in terms of better performance (handling specifically), better interior, and one or two more amenities like the ACC. But those things are going to hold a different value for everyone. And one of the criticisms above is all too true - the RSX has a lot of intruding road noise at highway speeds.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I stand corrected on the side air bags. Its side current bags that aren't available. I'm not beating up on the Acura, I've owned four Honda's and two Acura's. For the longest time I thought Acura was perfect. That was until I heard about the transmission problems on the CL. The TSX has gotten numerous complaints and the MDX had drive train issues. What does this have to do with the RSX? Well, now am willing to consider other brands since my beloved Acura isn't perfect. It will be interesting to see what Acura does with the next model/replacement RSX. Unfortunately, the Acura name will mean premium insurance quotes no matter what happens. Maybe Honda will spin off a new division.

Anyway, your points are noteworthy. Unless you're at a race track the performance difference you claim is not a issue in stop and go traffic. Its nice to see a vehicle division that causes others to change. Don't you? ;)
    actually, it is my understanding that the RSX gets such high insurance rates because the previous generation Integras had such an abysmal record of being stolen or vandalized all the time. And of course it doesn't help that it is a two-door sport coupe.

goose, it is my turn to agree with the points you make, except one:

"Unless you're at a race track the performance difference you claim is not a issue in stop and go traffic"

The thing is, I wasn't referring to timed runs, I was referring to handling that is so much better that it makes the car more fun to drive even in everyday trafficky situations. The one thing I do very little of, however, is stop and go on the highway, where the car's better handling would obviously make no difference at all. But it turns corners on the street more quickly and with less body roll, and is more responsive in quick lane changing, and 100 other little differences like that.

Now as for Acura causing other manufacturers to change, I am not sure they have, but if so I applaud it! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    I agree with what's being said about handling characteristics and wish to emphasize that for "normal" driving conditions there has to be one heck of a difference in a cars make-up for it to be truly noticable and/or appreciated.

When comparing cars in the class of the tC, RSX, et al, I don't think you'll find that significant diffrence evident. (even considering the 'little' things) What diffrences you'll find when really pushing these cars is paid for by a less compliant ride the other 98% of the time your driving. I think you really have to go beyond this class of "sporty" cars to get into a real "sport" car tuned suspension that would impress a true enthusiast (and at a much higher cost).

I hear and read a lot about the great handling of the RSX, Mazda3 and MINI when compared to the tC but even if one is to concede an advantage, there certainly isn't enough difference to justify the thousands of dollars more in cost.

I appreciate the insight to analyze cost of insurance, replacement tires, etc., but much of that can be minimized by choice and one could go on forever comparing the cost of every component of these cars. I think it is rightly stated that even with all trhings considered, it is tough to overcome and justify a price difference of over 3 grand among this class of cars. If I were willing to pay 22k or more in this class of vehicle based on handling, I would rather move up in class to a used, real, sports car.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    06 tC gets knob on the unit and steering wheel stereo controls which RSX lacks.
    Despite having shorter wheelbase RSX has HUGE turning radius rivaling some full size SUVs like Navigator. RSX stock Michelins make the car downright scary to drive in rain. In contrast, tC Yokos are very predictable in foul weather.

RSX gets stolen far less than Integra, even thieves realize the current Civic isn't worth modding.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,538
    happened to be at the Acura dealer the other day with my kids. Decided the RSX can not serve as a "family" car. Just not enough leg room in the back seat, plus it is a pain to get in and out (the seat doesn't seem to have a lever at the top that lets it tilt and slide, nor does it have a memory). Very inconvenient to get the seat out of the way, than you have to readjust the whole thing.

Seemed to have less headroom too.

Overall, my kids confirmed that while the tC is OK for them, the RSX wouldn't be.

But, if I never (or rarely) planned to use the back seat, I did like the front seats of the RSX better. haven't drvine one in a long time, so can't comment about that aspect.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

"06 tC gets knob on the unit and steering wheel stereo controls which RSX lacks"

Thank goodness - there is such a thing as clutter - important to avoid in a small car.

"RSX stock Michelins make the car downright scary to drive in rain"

Extremely overstated - have you actually done this? Not scary at all. Do I love the HX MXM4s? No.

"RSX gets stolen far less than Integra, even thieves realize the current Civic isn't worth modding."

Actually, it is because the RSX is the first Integra to have a standard perimeter alarm system and an immobilizer chip in the key.

The stock stereo in the tC is a messy sea of little buttons, and a volume knob (long overdue) will not change that. Nor will it change the large swath of cheapish aluminum-painted plastic that glares at you from the center stack, or the silly little door over the stereo that sticks out of the dash two inches whenever you actually want to use the stereo (which for me would be.....all the time!).

Maybe I am just getting old - the interior of the tC is very obviously designed to appeal to younger tastes.

• irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    The stock stereo in the tC is a messy sea of little buttons, and a volume knob (long overdue) will not change that.
    06 tc gets steering wheel audio controls, buttons on the head unit are non-issue.
    Letters B-o-s-e on RSX head unit will not change the bland sound of the stereo.

Nor will it change the large swath of cheapish aluminum-painted plastic that glares at you from the center stack
    Agree about painted aluminum, but prefer the symmetrical design of tC's center stack over the odd layout of RSX

One thing I give to RSX is the slick shifter, nobody does manuals better than Honda.in this price range. However, grab them while you can. 06 is the last year for RSX. Honda is soon to become a Truck and Minivan company.
  • jerchajercha Member Posts: 4
    I am the original owner of a 1995 Integra. I loved it except for the door dings and recent hail damage. After the hail damage I looked around the parking lot and noticed that a S2000 and my Integra had more hail damage. So I started questioning Honda's great mpg, Could it be thin sheet metal?

So I widened my search for a new car and included the tC with the RSX.

The acura interior plastics are superb. I like that soft dashboard feel. The RSX bucket seat fit like a glove and the fabric soft. The RSX radio controls are great for the driver but not for the passenger. Reminded me of a jet fighter.

TheAcura sales department was high presure and tried to sell me a TSX so I tried it first. I enjoyed the beautiful interior and great ride until I hit a small pothole and the wheels gave a soda can sound. I was very annoyed by that sound and postponed my road testdrive of the RSX.

I am 30+ married and my wife has an A4 so I thought the tC might be too youthful for me. But the price and my recent discontent with Acura compelled me to try a tC. I test drove it twice.

The first was white tC with a big spoiler. I thought this is a quiet coupe. The interior was decent but could be jazzed up with blue lights. The seats were also good. Exterior ties with RSX

For the second tC test drive. I brought my wife and the salesrep. The salesrep told me to floor it and try the suspension and hard braking. It felt heavy compared to my old integra and the TSX but it also had less tire and pothole noises. It also felt solid A4-ish. She also loved the available interior accessories.

So if you are planning to race get the RSX or TSX but if you want solid quiet coupe with accessory selection and no hassle get the tC.

I put a deposit down for a tC coming in 2 weeks :) If I ever need more power or better handles I can even get the suspension and supercharger from the dealer. Love the tC.
  • kozmokozmo Member Posts: 6
    Hey Karen,

I used to work with Motor Week and I have a serious love for Ferrari's.

It's fun to be an owner of an RSX as I call it my "mini" Ferrari.

I didn't expect to get into this car but needed something a little better then my 89' plymouth colt with 163k miles on it.

A friend of a friend owns a dealership where they had this 2002 dark blue RSX with 20k miles on it...Great Car..he gave me a sweet deal, and I drove the car home that night (leaving behind the rental I was using to get around in while my colt was being salvaged).

I took it to Santa Monica Acura and they replaced the front breaks and the dealership I bought it from bought me new RSX floor mates and some minor plastic parts that were missing.

My Dark Blue 2002 RSX has leather, 5-spd Auto and still has it's stock stereo system which I hope to replace someday. it has some minor scratches at the rear of the car..but it's a pretty sweet car. I paid $14,995 before taxes and got a 3 year bumper to bumper. It's currently still under the manufacturers warranty with roadside assistance which makes me kinda happy. Other than the occasional speeding and extended night drives I take through the canyons and by the beach I've been babying the car and get stressed when it comes to leaving her outside all alone.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Congratulations! Sounds like you've found you're true love. :)
  • jdwyerjdwyer Member Posts: 2
    The tC handles so much better with the TRD Lowering Springs and the Shocks/Struts combo. I put the TRD Cat-Back Exhaust on and I love that deep rumble, and I am glad it doesn't sound like those cans I hear on Civics all the time. I am still debating about the Supercharger, as it would put the tC right there with the RSX in power (about 200 hp depending on tuning).

I looked at the RSX, Civic, and the Mazda3. I was not impressed with Mazda's lack of safety on Side-Impact Crashes (I think I saw 3 stars as the best?). That and the salesperson thought he had me in the bag from the moment I said hello.

The Civic felt like there was nothing to it, which made me think that it might be susceptible to dings. That and the salesperson dragged me up to a used lot (told me that it was the new lot) when I specifically said a new car, on foot (or rather, on crutches since I was recovering from surgery) and left me there with my girlfriend. Said he'd be back in 5 minutes since he had to go help another customer. I left the lot 10 minutes later and was accosted by another salesperson on the way out who tried to convince me to buy an Element when I said that I was looking for a new Civic. When I mentioned the problem of being left in a Used Car Lot, he smiled. I mean, talk about lack of any common sense. I'm on frickin' crutches!

The Acura handled nicely, but it just seemed small. The salesperson acted like I couldn't afford it and I was wasting his time. For some reason, Honda and Acura feel that they don't have to work to get you to purchase the vehicles. It seems so weird that in sales, the salesperson makes you feel bad for helping him make money.

When I went to the Scion Dealer, I got a salesman named Terry. He knew everything about the car and he knew everything about the other cars I was comparing with. He made the whole thing about me, which is surprising considering the low margin on these cars. At any rate, he gave me a good deal when the car took 2 months to show up, he threw in the TRD Shocks and Struts package for free. I've had problems, but I can't really say that I have seen fewer problems on any of the other new cars.

The salesman moved on to Nissan and still calls me to see how my car is doing and that if there are any problems that he will get them taken care of. Maybe it was just the salesman, but it was nice to actually have a person take an interest in you before and after you buy your car. I just did not get that feeling from Honda or Acura.
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    I just saw the Honda website in Japan and it seems that the differences between the Type S and the Type R are the seats, center console assembly, LSD and some minor stuff. Technically, the Type S is more on the luxury side while the Type R is truly on the racing side. It is easier to compare the two cars since they have both the Integra Type S and the Integra Type R. Here's the link:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/integra/

It's pretty cool. I just wonder why they don't offer the Type R in US.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Anyone know which vehicle will hold their value better? I just got done reading this forum and can see where the tC is the winner simply based on price. The few extras of the RSX don't justify the extra money.
    I'm partial to the RSX so if it would hold it's value at least as good as the tC, I'd still consider it.
    the RSX will hold its resale BETTER than the tC, Hondas generally beat Toyota on this count, and the RSX does less sales volume than the tC, adding a bit of "rarity premium".

joeluc: type-R sales were always very limited in the Integra line, the type-R can be pretty harsh to drive, and there weren't enough serious racers ready to buy to justify importing them half the time.

Type-R's have the sound-deadening material removed to save weight, which is a BAD thing in the RSX if you ask me (although good for racing), not to mention seats like iron (good for racing) and rock-hard suspension (great for racing, REAL bad for feckless American roads). Plus, with the added gear like the LSD and other stuff, the price is usually more than the type-S - perhaps a hard sell in equipment-oriented America, where at a $26K sticker (or so) it would be without NAV, HIDs, power seats, all that junk that Americans love so much.

Again, there just aren't enough serious racers with money in hand to make it worth it for Honda. I wish they would bring it over anyway! :-)

Good point! I do believe that people here in the U.S. don't want to pay $26k for a car that wouldn't be a good daily driver (with all that sound-deadening material excluded), except for tuners though. Just paying $26K+ for a fwd car might not be practical compared in getting the same fwd car with some luxury in it (Type S). Although the Type S still has the features of a tuner car, I still feel some luxury (I guess it's due to the leather seats and better interior trimming). I just feel bad that some of the more luxury-level equipment are not available for the Type S in the U.S. (things you mentioned--NAV, HIDs, power seats), which also would have made the price for the Type S a little more practical that it is right now. Now that you mentioned about the features of the Type R that makes the ride uncomfortable for a daily driver, I definitely don't want to own one. But like you said, it would be nice to have them around U.S. roads.

Overall, I love the car. I have no regrets owning one since I really have trusted Honda ever since I bought my 97 Civic EX--which has 152K+ miles right now and still runs like it only has 70K on it. Although I have read some messages from other RSX Type S owners having problems, I still believe in my Type S's reliability. I just find it possible that not all things are built perfectly. Some products have flaws (even it is unacceptable for us consumers) and some don't. Even Mercedez Benz couldn't get rid of their electrical problem (new cars having malfunctioning break lights--I see them all the time). Somehow due to mass production of vehicles nowadays, consumers end up relying on luck just to get a flawless vehicle.
  • johnnyringojohnnyringo Member Posts: 31
    While I was getting my oil changed on friday up at maplewood scion/toyota I saw two Acura RSX's used for 14,000 and change each... they were both 04 models... does that tell you anything about there resale value?... I am looking right now at auto trader and tC's with 15Kmiles are selling for 18,000 or more in the twin cities... supply and demand is awsome! I am thinking of putting my tC up for sale just to turn around and buy another one but be able to put more down this time. I owe 14K on mine and if I can sell it for 18 or even 17 I would be laughing. I agree that Acuras are very nice cars but in my opinion are way over priced for what you get. I also think the tC astheticaly is more pleasing to the eye than the RSX and performance aside I think that is why the tC is so popular right now... has any one seen the new eclipse?... in the comercial it looks pretty sweet! base starting at 19,500.

I know there will be some acura fans that don't agree with me and to them I would say that the tC is selling better than the RSX for a reason... most small car buyers are not tuners. :P
    I just can't help myself after you throw down the gauntlet that way! :-)

The tC sells more because it costs less, an age-old formula that continues to work a lot of the time. There IS a difference between these two models. Whether or not it is worth $3 grand to each person is up to them.

Now, if you really think that EVEN ONE used tC is selling for $18K when they can be bought NEW for less, then you have precious little experience of the used car market. There may be a sucker born every minute, but there aren't enough to sell many used tCs at that price.

As for the RSXs, you do realize that an '04 can be two full years old now, right? Miled-up '04s could easily get down to $14K in resale. And they'd be a bargain at the price, too, as long as they were under 50K in miles.

joeluc: you know, you CAN still get your hands on some fairly recent model type-Rs. They sold them here up until 4, maybe 5 years ago. If you can find one that hasn't been raced or modded, you will be a miracle worker. But if so, and you are ready to pay premium dollar, I am sure it would give a current type-S a run for its money. The RSX has put on weight from the previous generation, and the 'R' had most of the power of the current 'S'. Not to mention a standard LSD for putting the power down, and old-style VTEC just to make things really fun. :-)

Nippononly: Do you have any idea where can I get a DC5R LSD for an 05 Type S? I've heard of other brands but not sure of it. And if installed, would it void the warranty? I think it does, but not sure.
    where you can get the LSD, but I do know the warranty is only voided if they can link the failed component to the aftermarket mods, and installing a limited slip is a pretty safe bet - there isn't much it could damage, that I can think of. Maybe if you changed the final drive ratio a ton and the engine or transmission got damaged, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway! :-)

Makes sense. I guess it goes down to the mechanic installing it. I have to make sure that the shop I choose has a good reputation in tuning Hondas and Acuras. You are right. I won't be doing any engine/transmission mods. The only modifications I have in mind is the LSD and dropping the suspension a little bit. I am already happy with the engine's power. Probably if I were a hardcore tuner, I would do all that. :D
    What does tire cupping mean? I've seen this phrase in a posting about a car's problem, but I don't seem to get what it actually means.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Tire cupping is when there are scoops of rubber worn out on the tire's tread, often caused by worn out shocks or struts. This results in the car bouncing over bumps and stay in the air instead of staying planted on the pavement, and when the tire comes down it will skid (especially when braking at the same time) thus causing uneven wear. And the longer you drive under these conditions, the worse the cupping problem becomes.
    Thanks for explaining that. I read this tire cupping problem on a forum for Nissan 350z/Infiniti G35 coupe. I never thought that this problem is really serious, considering the cost of those vehicles. I'm glad RSXs don't have this kind of problem.
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    I shopped the tC against the RSX. None of the dealers around here had tC's in stock and didn't know when they would get one, and all the used ones I saw were going for waaaay over sticker. What's up with that? I never even got a chance to drive the tC, so I bought a used RSX Type-S. I figure in two or three years the buzz around the tC will have died down, and I'll consider picking up a used one unless something comparable and better has come along.
    you got the better car anyway. :-)

The RSX-S has waaaaaay better handling than the tC, not to mention the extra 35 horsepower are pretty nice! :-)

I doubt it unless they had huge miles on them....

you just can't find an RSX with less than 20,000 miles for less than $15k unless you're super lucky.

I bought mine with 20,000 miles (2002) for $14,900 and am very happy to have bought this car (my friend knows the owner of the dealership) I could easily sell it for over $16,900.

but hey, enjoy the scion...acura will always be a superior brand.
    man, I just had this car 3 weeks and some kid ran into my car...I'm bummed but hopeful.

I write cause I'd like to hear from others who have experience with repaired RSX's.

My car was hit at the drivers side front wheel...it's been fixed and is currently at the body shop for repairs. I can't wait to get it back.

how has your RSX run after front end suspension repairs?

thanks for your reply...I'm keeping my hopes up and also hope to have a car with no frame damage as well.

:sick:
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    Hello KarenS:

I purchased my RSX a little over a year and a half ago. I'm still having fun with it! See my initial post way-back-when. Post# 2102 (All Years/Types) :)
  • sassy1866sassy1866 Member Posts: 6
    I can agree with everyone here that the RSX is nicer and the quality is better. But I think what is also getting lost in these discussions is that fact that the RSX-S does require premium gas. BIG turn off for me. Sure you can run lesser quality gas in it, but you pay the price in terms of gas mileage and how the car runs. I tested both cars and though I did like the RSX-S, I have to go with gas costing in this case. Plus I can turbo charge the TC, get 200 hp and still save a couple thousand. I talked to the sales guy and he said resale is unbelievable with these cars as he just sold a used tc with 10k miles for the price of new. Also, the big selling feature is that you can mod the car to your own taste. With the Acura you are pretty stuck with buying what they offer you. The TC I can mod it to my own liking, which is a huge feature as well. Why feel like your driving what everyone else has?
    If I were driving a Civic, then I'd feel like I was driving what everyone else has. I really don't see a lot of RSX's on the road. Besides, the TC looks like almost every new Lexus model. :D Not a bad thing, but kind of takes away from its uniqueness. I like the TC, but with the way it's selling, the used market is likely to be flooded with them in a few years. True that used TC's are going for the price of new right now, but that's partly because it's a brand new model in its first year. The RSX is four years old.

If resale value is important to you, then to me that pretty much cancels out the benefits of a car that's easily modded. Modded cars are worth less than stock IMO.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I read too that if you add the turbo then it would require premium gas - something to keep in mind if that's what you would do if you bought the tC.
    I agree with your comments. The fairest comparison is the base RSX vs tC. On that basis, I think the tC is the far better value. Personal preferences may sway one way or the other, but there are no significant differences that warrent the price difference between the base models. The RSX-S version is far more expensive and would only be a fair head-to-head comparo if there were an "S" version of the tC.
  • jmicheljmichel Member Posts: 3
    I test drove both the RSX and the Scion TC. Lowest price on the RSX was 19,700. Lowest price on the TC was 17,500. I thought both cars handle very well and the power is about the same. Slightly better gas mileage with the RSX. Inside the car is where the TC shines. Lot more comfortable and it comes standard with an arm rest, not to mention rear reclining seats, more room and a sky roof. Ended up paying 18,100 for the Scion TC. Added a few options, had to have the IPOD radio and some other goodies. Still saved 1600 over the RSX and the car is running great. As far as the RSX-S. Bring your check book and your credit card, lowest price I found was $24,200. Just not worth it for me.
  • cr_hiltoncr_hilton Member Posts: 1
    i bought a 05 rsx type s four months ago and i love it. when i went shopping for a new car i never even considered a Tc. it ain't me. rsx looks great and its way faster than a Tc. my cousin has a Tc and the seats seem like they're for fat [non-permissible content removed] kids. it looks like a corrola. yeah i paid more money but i got what i paid for. they ain't even in the same class. if you wanna compare a Tc compare it to a cavalier or civic or something like that. but hey thats just me
  • johndunberryjohndunberry Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between these two cars. I like the stereo and price better on the tC, but the fact that the RSX has such sharper handling and feels sportier makes me lean toward getting it.

I was wondering whether or not the performance options on the tC help bridge the handling gap between these two cars. Specifically, the TRD shocks/struts kit, the TRD lowering springs kit, and the TRD front strut tie bar are what I'm interested in. How does each of those affect the car? Also, what does the TRD sport muffler do for the car? Does the exhaust sound better or is it too much? Thanks for any help!
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I've heard of snap oversteer on the tC. If you drive "vigorously" and find yourself tapping the brakes to correct yourself, get an RSX. You'd end up getting a new stereo eventually though, so figure that in the cost (and its insurance, too).

The TRD springs/shocks and a rear anti-roll bar would go a long way (front strut bars are only barely noticeable in most cars). The exhaust... go for it if you think the tC's too quiet (neither car is loud). I haven't tried a tC with any of those mods though. The price can add up to the level of the RSX, at which point I'd expect handling to be pretty even.

The tC's automatic is a little better than the RSX's; the RSX's manual is better than the tC's.

The RSX's steering feels a lot more fun. It's a little stiff at initial turn-in for some people though. And the engine is less torquey low in the rev range, but a lot sweeter if you frequently go above 5k rpm. The view forward is a lot better in the RSX, but when it comes to looking to the side or back, the tC's a lot easier. Passengers will probably prefer the tC even if the RSX's interior materials are a lot nicer.

I dunno... try them out.
  • ziggyrnziggyrn Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if you are aware that the Acura RSX is one of the most commonly stolen cars. Search it on the net and you will see. My Dad owned an Acura Integra (the RSX before it was renamed) and it was stolen out of his condo parking lot. It even had the alarm set.

He now is the proud owner of a 2006 Scion tc and he absolutely loves it! It handles well and is nice to look at too! He finds the interior to be roomy and comfortable.

Before you decide, I would read up on the stolen car info. The last thing you want is to have your car stolen. Even though my Dad loved his RSX, he would NEVER buy one again
    Here's the list of the ten most frequently stolen cars, from State Farm's website (compiled by the National Insurance Crime Bureau, nicb.org):

1995 Honda Civic
    1989 Toyota Camry
    1991 Honda Accord
    1994 Dodge Caravan
    1994 Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup
    1997 Ford F150 Series
    2003 Dodge Ram Pickup
    1990 Acura Integra
    1988 Toyota Pickup
    1991 Nissan Sentra

I don't see the RSX anywhere on this list.
  • theriptherip Member Posts: 1
    What a predicament we are in! Needing 2 cars at the same time! We had an '02 Nissan Pathfinder LE and the engine and transmission are shot :lemon: and an '89 Mustang with over 200K! Now hubby wants me to make a fast decision on a car so...

I am into sporty cars and liked the look of the RSX especially with the rear wing spoiler! I test drove the base RSX last weekend and thought it felt sporty and seats have a snug fit. I also like the interior which has nice quality materials. I do have a bit of a lead foot(which worries hubby if we decided on the Type S with 6-Spd) but there's always some slow poke I need to pass so I want a car with good pickup and go power! Now I am considering the tC due to price, comparable looks to the RSX and cool options. Does the tC have good power and feel sporty to drive or more like a small sedan? I am test driving one tomorrow. On the plus side for tC, the dealer is only a mile from our house. But I am worried about the availability since they only have 1 silver one now. I prefer blue! The Acura dealer 30 miles away has what I want now. Decisions, decisions, decisions... :confuse:
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Another plus for the tC is that there's no negotiating price, thus no bull cr*p from the dealer, all you add on is TTL and any accessories. They are a hot selling car.

The tC seems to be a better value over the RSX, but I'm waiting to see what Acura does with the RSX next year.

Either one is a good choice though.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    >... Does the tC... feel sporty to drive or more like a small sedan? "

"... not exciting... Handling is sound but not really sporty... The driving experience is more like that of a small sedan than a sports coupe..."
    http://www.consumerreports.org:80/cro/cars/models/scion/tc/road-test/coupe-mt.ht- m
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Honda's done a decent job dealing with that theft rate. The previous Integras had a lot more parts that could be used on Civics and that was a huge reason for its theft rates.

The RSX has an immobilizer for one thing, so the only reliable way to steal it is on a flatbed (unless they get the keys). It was also designed to have less parts compatibility with the Civic.

So I wouldn't worry about it so much anymore. The old Integra theft rates still affect insurance though.
  • ohhsilviaohhsilvia Member Posts: 1
    i just got my car about my a month ago, a silver automatic scion tc and i love it. before, i drove around suv's and have test driven the acura rsx as well as the vw gti and honestly, for the price and options for the tC none of those cars can beat it. the interior model for the tC is unbelieveably gorgeous as well as the sound system. go with the tC! its the better choice :)
  • nekaneenekanee Member Posts: 1
    I do not know what to do. Here is my situation...Currently I own a 2002 RSX Type-S, it has a few after market parts, and I have 100K miles on it. The car runs great and is in good shape. I LOVE MY RSX, BUT...My husband gave me the option to buy a 2006 Scion tC with any/all the extra options I want. I desinged one on the website. It was black with the 18" wheels, security system, ground effects, pedestal spoiler, upgrade stereo, bumper guard ect...He works for Toyota, so we would get an awesome discount. It would be nice to own a new car that does not have high miles. But, like I said I love my RSX so I do not know what to do. We have 2 kids, would the tC have more room? What do you guys think? I guess I could start by test driving a tC. BTW, speed isn't a huge factor since we own a Nissan 300z Twin Turbo with after market parts. If I'm in the mood to drive fast and smoke everyone I can drive that:)
  • azngotmilkazngotmilk Member Posts: 2
    A lot of people on here are comparing the tc to the type S, to be honest i don’t think you should compare those two, but like the title says, Acura RSX vs. Scion tC. I’ll try to compare the tc to both. When comparing these cars, the obvious choice is the tc. Unlike most people on here, I’ve driven all three (tc, rsx and the type S), and owned a tc. I got the tc because like everyone says, the price. Some of the options also made me lean it. I did what most people did and looked at the type S too. I turned toward the tc because i thought that the type s was breaking 24k. No matter what anyone says, the tc is a better buy than the rsx, not talking about the type s. To make this clear, the insurance rates WILL be the same for all three cars, and if you're not paying the same, i suggest you switch to AAA. If you have a family, i suggest you buy a tc, it is much roomier, but if you’re looking for so much room, you shouldn’t look at a compact sports car… My tc was totaled and now im looking for a new car. I just looked at the rsx and the type s again but this time, I dealed a price that I cannot resist. The rsx will cost more because its more luxurious, so maybe its worth it if you have the money for it. An important thing about pricing is that the tc pricing is hassle free, but you cant deal it down. The rsx and the type S are cars that you can bring the price down. I bough my tc for about 18,200 and that’s without tax and all that good stuff. The rsx is about 19000. This isn’t some price I have made up because I came and already talked to the salesman and stuff. If you’re paying over 20k for the regular rsx I suggest you buy a tc or upgrade to a type S. I have my mind set on the type s because im getting it for 22000. I don’t care what all you people say, but if you buy a type s and you’re paying over 24 26k for it, I suggest you find an Asian friend or their mom to come in and deal for you because you’re getting ripped. If you want to compare the Tc to the type s then I also suggest you add a supercharger (and I say supercharger because tc cant handle a turbo very well on stock parts) to the tc. When you add the supercharger, the prices would be about the same, so the obvious choice would be the type S. You would also get leather seats, a sub, 6 speed and come on… you red line at like 8000 rpm. After you add a supercharger to the tc, THEN all the people that talked about not wanting to use premium gas have to use it. There you have it. If you’re looking for performance, the Rsx Type S is your choice, but if you just want a nice sports car, the tc would be the smart and economic choice.

And… if you want the tc to perform like a rsx, just get the rsx, you’re going to end up paying more for the tc by the time you buy all that crap.
  • azngotmilkazngotmilk Member Posts: 2
    woopies yes i noe im wrong, insurance rates are higher on the type S, not sure about the reg rsx. I was thinking of the corolla s and the xrs.
    You are right on! The S Type should not even be mentioned in this comparo as it is a different class of car in performance, intent and price.

As for the Basic RSX vs tC, the tC is the hands down winner in my opinion. I shopped both and could not come close to the tC in price . The only definitive difference mentioned in these forums is the RSX handling which in certain at-the-limit circumstances has an edge, but in every day driving there is certainly not an appreciable enough difference to justify a couple of thousand dollars. Other than that, the advantages/disadvantages of both equal out until you come to price - nad there the tC is the indisbutable winner.

I have 24000 in less than a year and a half with 0 problems, complaints or regrets. In this class of car, the tC still cannot be beat as a value.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have owned a number of Acuras and regret getting rid of my TL.The customer service was the best and warranty
    unbeatable.They recovered my drivers seat even after
    40000 miles and did not use the lame excuse of normal wear and tear.Before 50000 miles the tranny was acting up and it was replaced with a new one and gave me a warranty till
    100000 miles and they gave me a brand new TSX for a loaner.
    I have a Toyota now only because Acura does not make a
    wagon except for the MDX which is $1oooo more.Besides my son works for the dealer so I got a big discount on my Highlander.If you want fun go for the TSX,if you just want
    a high quality hatchback go with Tc.I don't think Toyota
    gives loaner cars with warranty work.
    Not sure I understand what is so great about a car whose seats and transmission wear out in less than 50k miles no matter how good the 'service'.

I have a 1999 RX 300 with 125,000 miles on it and if not for voluntary servicing, I would have a rough time remembering my dealers name because there is no need to. I can say the same (so far) for my tC with 25,000 miles.

When I bought the Lexus, it came without the auto-dimming mirror it was supposed to have. They could not retro fit one, so, after 2 months and 2500 miles, they gave me a new car! That's service!

I do not expect quite that level from my Scion dealer, but if things continue as they are now with respect to the reliability of the car, I'm not too worried about it.

No doubt the TSX is a great car, but it is a totally different class than the tC. A choice between the two would have to be based on factors not well suited for direct comparison - hence, I did not shop the TSX. Ended up with the tC and have no regrets. Would highly recommend the tC.
This discussion has been closed.