Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited July 2014 in Acura
Introduce yourself and get to know other RSX owners here.

Comments

• akl88akl88 Member Posts: 26
    What do you think? I'm still not sure which one to choose...

The RSX looks nicer in everything, but the Scion you can choose a lot of accessories for the car.

But anyways what do you think?

BTW what do you think of the 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheel for the RSX (the wheel with 10-spokes)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I loved the RSX, but there was noticably less room in the back seat. I have 2 kids, and they fit fine in the tC, but there really wasn't adequate room in the Acura.

I think the Acura drives a little "sportier" (sharper handling, tighter gearbox on the stick), and has a few more features standard, but also costs quite a bit more $$.

Hard to go wrong with either one, so you can get whatever feels best to you.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I got an RSX. But there is no comparison between the two in terms of handling. The tC is a relative porker for its size, and the RSX has SHARP handling. The gearboxes are typical Honda vs Toyota too - Honda wins that battle every time, including this one.

What I like about the Acura's interior is that most of the hard plastic in front of the driver on the dash is covered by the rubber surround, which is not only mark-proof but also soft to the touch and good-looking. All the HVAC and radio controls are rotary (I like that) and medium to large size whereas in the tC the center stack is just a mess, IMO. Not to mention the plastic-painted-to-look-like-silver thing is so overused nowadays.

If you use back seats, I can't argue with you - the rear seat of the RSX gives you plenty of legroom but no headroom to speak of. I didn't buy this car to be a four-seater except for VERY occasionally, however. Like many of the coupe-style hatches, it is functionally a great two-seater with a mini back seat.

By contrast, I sat in the back of the tC and reclined the seat and I had enough headroom. It was slightly claustrophobic though. In that car the front seats have to be fairly far forward on their tracks or else rear seat legroom becomes a big problem. Neither of these cars is really a four-seater.

"BTW what do you think of the 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheel for the RSX (the wheel with 10-spokes)"

I LOVE them! I am even warming up to the new base model 16" split-spoke alloys. I still like mine from the '04 model year though - simple and sporty-looking.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Is that a nice color? I'm thinking "yes", but then I have a feeling for silver a little.

What do you think of the Jade Green Metallic?

Has a hint of green and grey together...
    the tC has an amazing amount of rear leg room. I'm 6' tall, and if I put the seat all the way back, I can't even reach the clutch. When I have it adjusted to my normal spot, you could cross your legs behind me.

• tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    akll88 - I shopped both cars (among all others in this class) and ended up with the tC.

If money doesn't matter, flip a coin, don't look back and I am certain that you will be satified with either.

Personally, I could not find enough in the RSX to justify the thousands of $ more the RSX would have cost. Especially considering that at the time I was comparing an 04 RSX with an 05 tC.

Just got back from a cruise I paid for with my "savings". Love the tC. After 4 months it continues to impress and exceed my expectations.

Good shopping.
  • persimmonpersimmon Member Posts: 2
    The hatch area of the RSX seemed pretty roomy. In contrast, I looked at a tC very briefly and at night, so I'm a little hazy ... but I thought its cargo floor was very high.

Would grocery bags of a couple golf bags fit in the tC hatch?
    Big golf bags can be a problem going across. It's much easier to flop part of the back seat down and stick them in length wise.

grocery bags, etc. are fine. You are correct that the floor is a little high, but you can always pop the cargo cover off. Lots more height available if you push tall stuff up toward the back seat.

• persimmonpersimmon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. But doesn't taller cargo negatively affect visibility? Not trying to bash the tC by any means, but I'd like to (a) be able to put stuff in the hatch without a crowbar and (b) be able to see through the back window when driving that stuff somewhere.
    It doesn't block the view. There is a fair amount of height up toward the seatback. It's just the tail (under the "trunk" part of the hatch) that isn't very high.

I can put one of those tall plastic buckets (5 gal I guess, like pickle slices come in at fast food joints) upright and not block the view, if it is up against the back seat.

No, I don't like pickles that much (or work in fast food). I coach little league, and use the buckets to tote baseballs.

Persimmon- As you go down the list of comparisons in/re features, dimensions, personal preferences, design, etc, I think you will find that at the bottom-line tally, the advantages vs. disadvantages will pretty much even out with nothing of great significance for or against either vehicle. What ever differences are found to be significant will probably be due to personal preference rather than a glaring ommission or addition in either car.

While the RSX is a great car, given the above conclusion (at least from my point of view) when looking at the final bottom-line - PRICE (Value) - there emerges the only truly significant difference in these vehicles.

If a few thousand dollars doesn't matter to you, then buy with your heart. An inch here or there isn't going to change your life style - buy what feels to fit the best. Personaly, when it came time to write the check, I could not justify the price difference. After 6,000 miles in my tC, I have no regrets and the unspent cash is being put to better use. I am certain I would have loved the RSX just as much, but that's the point - just as much - not any more than the satisfaction with the tC.
    I would have loved an RSX,but one killer (for me) was lack of leg room in the rear. I have 2 kids, 1 being a teenager, and this is my only car, and the tC has a usable back seat, which the RSX didn't (at least with the way I adjust the seat).

The Acura does drive nicer though. Sharper moves, and better clutch/shifter.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    If one buys into the notion that the RSX and tC net out as comparable, or close to comparable, except for price, then I imagine that for '06 the redesigned Civic coupe will be the Honda that competes most directly with the tC. I'm thinking that the next generation RSX will move up market in terms of content and performance, to justify the price differential with the tC.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I don't see the RSX surviving at all. The new Civic Si is going to have the RSX-S's drivetrain plus a limited slip differential... not much point to the Acura then. The rest of the Civic line is moving up, now that a cheaper Honda is on the way.
    Combined with the RSX's small sales numbers (less than the Element!) I don't see it being remade.
    Sounds logical, or the RSX could be replaced by a TSX coupe or hatchback, to differentiate it from the Civic Si. This would appeal to those who prefer the double wishbone suspension and 2.4 engine.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    and 10 less hp
  • joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    The current RSX is in many ways a "stepped up" Civic Si, so it's possible that the next RSX would simply improve the new Si a step further.

Alternately, if they did base the next one on the TSX, why wouldn't they tweak the 2.4L to get more power? I don't see Acura abandoning the line, entirely, if only because of the entry-level firecracker it gives them.
    I am all but convinced the next RSX will merely be a two-door version of the TSX, with a $25K+ base price, and an optional type-S engine making at least 240 hp. As such it will be a bigger car than I would want, making this my last and only RSX probably.

But it is a very compelling argument that HOnda very quickly now needs to stop all this overlap between the two divisions, particularly as (1) the new Civic is about to arrive and will be very competitive in terms of performance with other "pocket rockets", and (2) a $20K starting price is just too low for Acura these days - among all car sales that is more than 25% below the average new car sale price.

I would have been very happy with my current car whether it said "Acura" or "Honda" on it. Call it what you will, Honda. Just don't abandon the compact performance scene the way you have been perilously close to doing the last four or five years.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea, while they are at it, to have a four-door high-performance Civic in addition to the coupe, to face off with the likes of the WRX and Mazda3 (and SRT-4, and Cobalt S/C, and...).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

to my message above, it occurred to me that, just as the RSX competes with the Civic Si, a coupe version of the TSX would compete with the Accord coupe. One way to differentiate the Acura from the Honda would be for the TSX to feature AWD.
    yes, that is true. I am not sure RSX has any future at all - it is obvious that the market for coupes is slowing down, and that is even more true if you move up from compact to midsizers, like the Accord and TSX.

Toyoa didn't waste time when its own product began to overlap too much - they promptly killed the Celica so it would not compete for tC sales. Honda should maybe think about taking the same kind of tough measures.

so Go to the topic Honda Accord V-6 coupe vs. Mazda 3 SP23 vs Acura RSX if you want to post.

Thanx
    Akl
  • skytzoskytzo Member Posts: 1
    Honestly, I thought the RSX was the coupe version of the TSX. It looks like it to me. Same style, same design, only 2 doors less and some other small changes.

The Civis-SI is an ugly duckling compared to the RSX. This is why I think they should at least keep the body style of the RSX or update the Civic-Si. I just dont find anything appealing visually about the Si.

The Tc on the other hand is a great looking car, and though I have yet to test drive it, it sounds like a decent ride also.
  • tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    the RSX has 210hp and will out run a 200hp TSX and will stay with a V6 Accord Coupe because the RSX weighs 2800lbs so its a realitive light weight, this is why its staying, ti s the sporty car with the 4 banger.
    if the RSX is staying (I am all for it, I own one, but I am doubtful) it has to become a WHOLE lot nicer than the '06 Civic EX/SI for the next gen. Acura sells a lot of TLs because they are way nicer and a little faster than an Accord V-6. They have to maintain the same edge for the base model of the RSX for the next round (this time they really didn't - base RSX runs about the same times as Civic SI and is only moderately featured and plushed up versus the Honda).

In fact, look at Toyota - they faced the same mandate with Celica vs tC, and in the end they just cancelled the Celica!

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I saw an ad for a brand new 2005 Toyota Celica in last week's St.Louis Post-Dispatch. Whaddup? I thought Toyota discontinued that car.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

they just shipped the last allotment for the States. Which means there will be some left on lots for probably six months or so - it is selling pretty slowly these days.

is it as sharp as the Celica?
    not even close. But it does smooth out the road better on the straights. Less bouncy.

the tC's handling is similar to a small Avalon's handling. The tC's would work well with my tastes.

can't imagine where they got the comparison to the Avalon. Must be some alternate definition of "handling"

• markg4markg4 Member Posts: 44
    i have 620 miles on my stock tc and coming from a 2000 civic si i can't see much if any difference in the handling between the 2. the tc feels heavier but in a good way.
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    from reports the gas mileage of the tc is pretty bad compared to the rsx. Any TC owners doing better then 25mpg in mixed driving?
    I have 8800 miles on my AT tC sinc Oct. and have consistantly averaged 28 - 28.5 MPG. Most of my daily work communte (25 miles) is on 1/2 expressway (65-75MPH) & 1/2 hwy (with lights,50-55mph). I would say at least 30 - 40% of my driving is in typical suburban traffic - No long expressway trips.

I can't imagine what drivers (including car mag tests) are doing to get 21 MPG! I like to step on it and have some fun and do not hesitate to do it. In other words, I am not treating the car as though it were a Prius and I'm out to max the MPG. It is a fun car to drive and I drive it to have fun.

I shopped the RSX, liked it a lot, but could not justify the several thousand dollar price difference - it wasn't THAT nice.

Completely satisfied with the tC. The MPG is better than I expected. Coming from a Liberty that was lucky to get 16 MPG, I would have been happy with the 23 city the tC is rated at.

Maybe I have an exception to the norm - lucky me - but I can remember only once recording less than 28 MPG, that was one tankful @ 25+ MPG in heavy snows and heavy traffic.

Not sure what the RSX gets, but I doubt I would have done any better with it gas-wise.
    the Scion tC wins over the RSX by a large margin.

I'm still thinking about trading my Sportage in for one sometime in 2005. It's hard, though, because the Sportage is a great rig.

Question: do you get any of the "crackles", "snapples" and "pops" that others have complained about in the moonroof area, dashboard or even the trunk(or anywhere else). I read about the trunk one for the first time today. Some guys just say that they simply have their stereo on so loud that they could care less even if their tC does snap or pop. How about yours, does yours talk to you? The concerns seem petty, but some people are saying that the sounds are truly driving them batty.

I've heard what I think was the roof-pop twice on extremely cold mornings as I turned down and out of my driveway - otherwise no popping problem and no other sounds from the top.

Any rattles or creaks have been minor and intermittent. I did have the rattle in the rear (hatch I believe) off and on and was going to have it addressed at my last dealer visit (oil) but have not noticed it at all for a couple of weeks so didn't mention it.

My other car is a Lexus, so any aggrevating noices in the tC would be quite noticable in comparison, but I must say that there has been nothing I would consider a problem and nothing that has been consistantly noticable.
    Whatever creaks or "voices" that do arise are minor, not constant and disappear as fast as they came. Anything of significance would drive me nuts, believe me!

All-in-all, I would not complain about any obtrusive noises. The car is solid, feels substantial and does not in any way come close to the "rattle-trap" status common in this size and class of car. As for 'petty', I agree that some people like to complain. What's nice about the tC is that if you are one of those people, you really have to look hard and long to find something on the tC. No complaints, no regrets - LOVE IT!
    what color did you choose? I have looked at silver on the tC on the web, and, I must say, the tC is the only car I've found that looks great in silver. It looks good enough to buy one in silver, and I don't like silver as a car color, normally. I'm moving in another month or so, and the only dealer in that state(200 miles to the east of where I'll be living)has a silver tC in 5-speed form for the base $16,515 price right now. It's mighting tempting to me! I have a feeling, from what I've read about this car, that I would not want to stop driving it. I'd want to take road trips constantly. The first one would be 180 miles west of us to Mount Rushmore.

You have an automatic tranny in yours, right? Glad you're digging yours! :D

tonylexus...since my dealer will be 200 miles to the east of us...do you think I'd stand a pretty good chance of just driving mine off the lot and not experience any problems that would require me to have to go back to the dealer? It is a Toyota product-I would think so. I only ask that question because the only Scion dealer I've located on the web is in Sioux Falls, SD. That's right, the only one in the state. I will, of course, keep searching for other ones, but that looks like it for now. SIoux Falls sits on the eastern edge of South Dakota and Pierre sits smack dab in the center of the state. I trust Scion build quality enough to proceed if I want to next month with it.

"Not sure what the RSX gets, but I doubt I would have done any better with it gas-wise."

I get 31 mpg all the time in my manual shift, so with the auto I would expect about the same mileage you are getting.

I haven't had to go back to the dealer for anything other than my free oil changes since Oct (8800 miles). Yes, it is AT.

I have Black Cherry. Great in the sun and takes on a new life at night. Of course, you have to keep it clean. Like the silver too - it was my second choice, but my other car is silver as was the one before that, and now it seems every-other car out there is silver. Like black too but it just didn't seem to fit the car. Believe it or not, the white looks good, but Black Cherry won out for me. Was lucky enough to see every color lined up next to each other in sun-shade, Black Cherry impressed me most.

Only option I bought was auto-dimming mirror, one of those things that once you had one can't live without it. Comes in handy in a vehicle that low. Has a nice feature - an ambient light that shines down on the counsol in choice of 3 colors.

Hope your initial luck will be as good as mine - the odds are with you, it's a Toyota.
    "the Scion tC wins over the RSX by a large margin."

What you get for the extra money with the Acura is superb handling and a stereo without a ton of little buttons and plastic aluminum. I like that the Acura radio has rotary knobs for volume and tuning. Three things that are important to me (handling, stereo, no pluminum), but I could easily see where they would not be worth the premium for many buyers. And the flip side of the stereo thing is the tC has a better one for sound.

Plus I am not too sure how much I would ike a roof that is all glass - how are people feeling about how hot this makes the interior in the summer?

Of course, it clinched it that the tC wasn't actually out yet when I bought my car! :-P

I was only going on emotion when I typed that out, man! I like the Acura RSX, too, but I am floored by this new Scion tC and I must start thinking of convincing reasons now to tell my wife why we must get one. I can't believe I'm typing this but I like the tC in silver. It looks especially nice on this small coupe from Scion. My first choice is BCP, too, tonylexus, and I also like the Indigo Ink color as well. I like 'em all on this rig!

The auto-dimming mirror sounds like a great idea, really.

I have heard that the tC's glass roof is tinted a tad. Is that true, tonylexus? I think that is a true statement. It gets scorchingly hot in Pierre, South Dakota, but not humid, thankfully. A tinted top should help with sunburnt head-tops, eh?

My top reason to convince the wife is the tC's better gas mileage. Should be in the upper 20's, right? The Sportage gets around 19 city, 25 highway, with it's 5-speed tranny. Yeah, I've heard that the tC's stereo rocks nicely. I've made my contact with the sales people already and we have each other's e-mail addresses. Now, to come up with additional reasons to trade-in. Here's one: the Scion will hold resale value better than the Sportage, right? I'm gettin' those ducks lined up, men! :D
    Another one-the Sportage's trade-in value is gonna be slipping quickly now-it's got 95,350 miles right now. That's a good reason, too, right? That Sportage is in tip-top shape, though. Mint condition. Should get $4500-$5,000 trade-in value for it.

BTW-Pierre, SD, has an "earthen-rolled dam" built 6 miles north of town. It is all underneath you as you drive over it and on one side there's a huge lake created by the dam. There's the huge turbines sticking out of the lake. Lake Oahe and the Oahe Dam... down below the Missouri River continues flowing along towards Pierre. It is one of only a few dams in the world like that...earthen filled like that...the powerhouse built solid way down below your car as you cruise over it. Beautiful views from up there. Pierre is also a sportsman's paradise..hunting grouse and other fowl and fishing from the Missouri River and Lake Oahe. Several varieties can be had and the water is fresh and unpolluted. I may eventually buy a few kayaks and maybe a powerboat living there. But it does get hot during July and August-at times over 100. A tinted glasstop is a necessity.

Can't disagree with you too much. The handling on the RSX is better, but again, not enough to separate these cars by a great deal. I too prefer knobs and let Scion know this, but $2k a knob wasn't worth it, especially, as you say, for a radio with lesser sound. The extra buttons on the radio are for SAT Ready, and MP3, something I don't think you got with the RSX. As for the plastic, to each his own, but I can find what some would call 'cheap plastic' on the interior of cars costing 5 times what the tC cost - that's just what is used now-a-days.

The glass top has not presented any problem and looks unique. This is personal preference, but I prefer the tC syling as well - again more unique.

I can appreciate the choice you made based on what is most important to you. I looked long and hard at the top models in this class (RSX, Mini S, Mazda3...) and with all things considered I still believe you can't beat the tC. I enjoyed a great cruise vacation with the money I 'saved' opting for the tC and the car has exceeded my expectations.
    No doubt you should do better than 19 MPG city. The glass top has presented no problems. I would expect that your weather would be similar to what I get here in Michigan - anything from -10 to +100. I was pleasantly impressed with the tC this winter, warmed up fast and handled well. Have been thru some hot days but not mid summer. I don't expect any problems.

When I first showed the tC to my wife, she thought I was crazy for considering such a small car. The best way to convince your wife is do what I did - take her for a ride in one. Obviously, it worked.
    *chuckle*

Liked the "$2K per knob" thing! :-)

The way I figure it, the better handling and 200+ pounds less weight of the RSX are worth (speaking only for myself of course) $2000, the radio knobs are worth a couple hundred bucks (totally irrational, I know), the nicer interior plastics with the rubber dash surround in the RSX is worth $1000 easy, and the lack of plastic aluminum is worth a good $500 or so. Since I paid $19K flat for the Acura, I figure I saved about $1200 by my own estimation.

Add to that a week-to-week average of 31 mpg, where I know it would be hard to get near 30 in the tC, and I don't regret it. Indeed, my doubts if any tend the other way: for the same price (or a little less) as my car I could have had the Matrix XRS or the Mazda3s five-door, and gotten myself two extra doors to properly carry three passengers. With similar straight-line performance to our cars. It has proven to be the case that I don't carry passengers that often, and my old 4Runner will do the duty sometimes anyway, so I am pretty satisfied overall. Not to mention I am not a huge fan of those cars' interiors either.

well, we can get a nice, long drive from the only Scion dealer in South Dakota, Billion Automotive, in Sioux Falls, SD, back out west to Pierre! I'll give us a few days(or weeks)to get settled in and then make the sojourn of 225 miles to the east to Billion. I just read a good report on the tC's air conditioning working very well. That should score good points with her. I'm actually hoping nobody else buys the 5-speed silver one over there so we can test drive that one. Whoo-hoo! :P

it's tinted pretty well. Doesn;'t seem to cause a heating problem, and you do have shades. I tend to have mine open whenever possible, so that does let in the sun.

exactly! That's the reason to have a sunroof-to let the sun shine in! I've never had a man-made hole in any of my car's roofs before-kinda lookin' forward to it. :blush::blush:

Glad you like the RSX, I'm sure I too would have been thrilled with one. I, however, could not touch one here (w/AT) for under 20k and that was an '04 vs an '05 tC (which would mean up to $1,500 come resale time). I paid 17,265 w/AT & auto-dim mirror. Add 6% tax to price difference and it was too much of a difference given (my opinion) that there wasn't anything of significance to justify it. If I was going to spend over 20k, I would have bought a used Lexus IS. That's what it came down to for me.

If you're getting 31MPG, bless you. You're right, I am not doing that well (28.5 average) and there are others complaining of getting less than me. I was shopping for a daily commuter that I could have some fun in and not give up the 'luxury' features I've come accustomed to. The tC fit the bill in every respect and at a price over $2k less than anything comparable in the class.

I'm not afraid to pay extra for something worthwhile. While I liked a lot of things about the RSX and other competitors, I just couldn't see what I was getting for the extra bucks. Call me cheap, but I have no regrets and I do understand why you made the choice you made.
    I would NEVER call you cheap!

My hope would be that everyone buy the car they like best.

:-)

• natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Have had no luck finding a tc so I need to ask all of you - I fit ok in an RSX - I'm tall(6'4) and my leg does not get stuck between the steering wheel and the center console. I drove an Si and my knee would bump into the dash/console when I would shift (really like the placement of the shifter in this car by the way). I'm wondering how the tall drivers are doing in the tC. From all the pics it looks like it might be tight for me between the steering wheel and center console.

Thanks
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Its time to replace my vehicle (truck, none Honda) with a nice, energy efficient vehicle. I have a bias towards Honda since buying a Acura in the eighties. I test drove the regular RSX and the tC. Heres my opinion.

The regular RSX ride is bouncy and road noise is tiring. Its stereo has knobs but is not MP3 capable. The back seat is good for very short trips. It has auto climate control and the dash as a whole is very nice. The Acura name comes with bragging rights.

The tC seems a little quieter and its torque happens sooner than the RSX so it feels funner. The tC's extra 5" of wheelbase eliminates the bouncy feeling noticed on the RSX. The longer wheelbase also means more leg room for the back seat. Also, when the back seats are folded down longer items will fit. The stereo is MP3 capable and you can add a sub. The tC dash surface is coarse, but the instrument gauges are as good as the RSX. The dash is functional and none tiring. Trust me, I've owned tiring dash boards. The Scion is a new/hip brand.

Which vehicle to choose. In 1987 I owned a new/hip brand, a Acura Integra. What a difference 18 years make. The RSX is made in Japan just like the tC. The RSX comes with 16" wheels, the tC with 17". The Acura raises my insurance by $180.00 every six months, the tC will lower it by $35.00 every six months. The Acura cannot be personalized like the tC, at least not at the dealer. The tC comes with zero price haggling. The tC configured with $3,400.00 in added options is less than the RSX. Side air bags are a wanted option not found on the RSX. The new/hip wins again. I'm for the tC. ;)
This discussion has been closed.