Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Accessories and Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Acura
Discuss RSX accessories and mods here!

Comments

• dengandengan Member Posts: 2
    Already posted on main site in error - I thought I was in the Accessories and Modifications forum but I guess not:
    #1 of 2 GrillCraft grille for Acura RSX rusting after 1 yr. by dengan Aug 12, 2005 (7:27 pm)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    Hi
    Just a warning to RSX owners or this possibly applies to anyone buying a GrillCraft grille:
    My grille started rusting after one year. I bought it from www.driverFX.com but I don't blame them, I blame the manufacturer.
    This is a Canadian car but the first year I had it on was not particularly snowy and therefore did not get salt on the grille as far as I know (Even if it did get salt on it, it shouldn't have rusted like that).
    I installed it myself but I don't really want to take it off and send it back to them for warranty (it's probably too late now anyway).
    I plan to just spray rust paint on it and hope for the best.
    Anyway, here's your warning.
    ps It is a nice grille but who wants rust in the first year.
  • joeluc13joeluc13 Member Posts: 50
    Need help guys. I am thinking of replacing my 05 RSX-S's stock shift knob with a stock S2000 shift knob (titanium with leather wrap). I understand that the stock shift knob for the RSX-S has a clip that holds the ring for the boot. If I'm going to replace my shift knob with the stock S2000's shift knob, would there be a problem? I'm wondering where would the ring on the leather boot cling on afterwards. I would really appreciate your help. :D
  • rsx_varsx_va Member Posts: 33
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with aftermarket armrests for the RSX. I saw two on Ebay -- one with a storage compartment that mounts to the center console, and another that bolts to the driver's seat. Here are the auctions for these if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7993225541

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8006409572

I like the storage aspect of the first one, but the second one looks wider and might be sturdier if it's bolted to the seat.

Can anyone relate their experiences installing one of these or something similar?
    Hey JoeLuc,

I was looking at using a TSX knob for my RSX. There is a boot adapter ring that's included if you buy one of Acura's RSX-specific knobs (the aluminum one in particular). The parts guy on Ebay that I corresponded with said the adapter rings are no longer sold separately, but I did manage to find one for sale on the web. Use froogle.com to search for "rsx boot adapter" and you'll see it.

Good luck,
    Rich
    Thanks man. Well, I actually ended up buying the aluminum 6 speed shift knob upgrade for the RSX Type S and it comes with a boot adapter set (collar and boot ring). It turns out that my friend didn't like the stock shift knob on his TSX so we ended up swapping our shift knobs. I just paid him $50 to be fair since the TSX shift knob costs at least $100. Thanks for your tip though.

Joel
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    I haven't tried either yet, but I agree the latter looks a bit sturdier. I'm considering one for my '06 RSX. It also looks better b/c I definitely don't want to have to drill holes, as I leased my car.

Have you or anyone used the cold air intake modification? How hard is it to install? Does it void the manufacturer warranty? Does it really improve HP, torque, and MPG, + give it a nice growl???? I've always been told, if it sounds too good to be true, it is! There is one on e-bay for only $20, w/air filter.
    Armrests: In my opinion it's good only if you have an AT. Having it on a MT can cause some obstruction each time you shift, depends on the length of one's arm of course. Since I'm 5'11", I won't consider it for my RSX since I know my arm won't be comfortable. I actually like to rest my forearm on top of the hand brake. :)

Hmm, cold air intake modification?

Installation: Well, that's easy to install. Whatever aftermarket brand you plan to get comes with an installation guide and all the parts you need already come with it. You might need to drill one hole on the aftermarket intake for the sensor.

Warranty: It can void the warranty of your RSX if the dealership can pinpoint that your modification was the cause and source of the problem. But since an air intake is unlikely to cause any mechanical problems since there's nothing mechanical about it, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Unless you installed it improperly, then that's a big issue. Remember to keep your stock air intake just in case you decide to put it back.

HP, torque, and MPG: Slight horse power increase, something like 5hp+ but I don't know about torque. MPG, this is the major drawback. I have a 97 Civic with an Iceman cold air intake installed and my MPG went down a little bit. I am considering putting back the stock air filter but I guess it was already thrown away years ago--my bad. My friend's 2002 Accord's MPG went down a bit as well after he replaced his air intake. Everyone I know who had their air intakes replaced got lower MPGs as a trade off. My advice, get it if you don't consider your MPG going down a little bit and get a little bit more power. Your car's MPG is at it's best the with stock parts. :)
  • robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for the information. Bad for the suppliers, as I probably won't get either now!

Maybe I'll experiment with the intake - it's on e-bay for only $20. As long as I could swap it out without too much hassle or wear and tear, it might be worth sampling...
    Cool. But be sure that the intake has some barcode sticker (I guess it's the serial number) on it. Usually it does because you might need it by the time you get a smog check when they want take note of the aftermarket part. Some smog checks look for it, others don't. Or better, just be sure you keep your stock air intake so you can put it back for smog checks. Don't be like me when I dumped my 97 Civic's stock intake for granted and couldn't find it now. But I never had any smog check problems with the aftermarket intake installed. The smog person would just say that there's a possibility that my car would fail the test because it is beyond my Civic's reported specs. I guess it depends on the smog check shop. Good luck on modification. :)
    Hello everyone! I need some information on aftermarket suspension kits out there that you think would be best for an 05 RSX Type S. I'm planning to get both struts and springs so I'm considering getting the Tein SS-P but not sure if it's the best. Also, are camber kits required if I'm going to get Teins? If so, what brand of camber kit should I get? I would really appreciate your help. :)
  • ramzakramzak Member Posts: 9
    What is recommended for driving on snow and or ice in the Acura RSX, cable or regular chains, or buying another set of rims and studded snow tires?
    I replaced my stock Type S shift knob yesterday with a black leather MOMO knob ("sphere" model). The new knob is larger and the black goes better with the leather seats IMO. The old knob was the one thing I really disliked about the Type S interior -- too small and cheap-looking. It never felt substantial enough to me. Plus the knob in the car I got was heavily scratched up. I drive with my hand on the shift knob almost all the time, so I like to have something there that feels good.

Installation was very simple -- pull down the boot skirt to detach it from the old knob, unscrew the old knob, slip on the MOMO threaded collar and a rubber sleeve, push the new knob onto the shaft, tighten up three set-screws on the new knob, and screw on the threaded collar from below. In all it took about five minutes.

The one drawback is that there's no attachment between the MOMO knob and the boot skirt, so there's a small gap between the boot collar and the new knob. It doesn't look bad because the gap is very small, but with the boot collar being loose, it rattles during shifts. I'm either going to pick up one of the aftermarket boot adapters, or maybe just slip on a couple of rubber O-rings to stop the rattling.
  • mrtommyboy2000mrtommyboy2000 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought one for my Type-S. Looked at the two available. The console replacement and the flip that attaches to the lumbar lever.

Flip - http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_htm/products/Acura/AcuraRSX/index.html (Also on eBay)

Console - http://www.rsxarmrest.com/

I choose the flip so I can get it out of the way when I'm solo and can put it down for the comfort of my passenger.
    Let us know how the installation went. I'm still undecided whether I want to add one at all. My previous car was an Accord that had a built-in armrest, and it was nice for longer drives, but I remember when I first got into it, I was constantly bumping my elbow during shifts until I got used to it.
    So I figured out how to pop the center console cover yesterday, and added a rubber washer under the boot skirt (actually a cone washer from an old toilet installation!) that now holds the collar up snug against the shift knob. It looks much better now!

Now I've got to deal with a slow leak in the left front tire. Damn, there goes at least $100. Why are good tires so damned expensive. I just replaced on on another car like two months ago.
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    Hey ramzak,

A good first choice is to leave it parked when practical, but if you MUST get out there and/or you're deep in the snowbelt, go for a complete set (yup, 4!) of snow tires. If you have the funds AND THE SPACE to store a separate set of wheels, get rims. Studs are good for ice, but they'll give you a loud ride. Michelin, Yokohama, and Bridgestone come to mind for tires built with an ice-handling compound. See what they're saying at Tire Rack.
  • dc10driverdc10driver Member Posts: 15
    Anyone mount one of the aftermarke Type S spoilers on their base RSX??
  • hakunamatatahakunamatata Member Posts: 6
    All the SUVs with Xenon lights around annoy the hell out of me. Is it possible to replace the side mirros with auto-dimming ones? And it will be nice to put an auto-dimming rear view mirror with the temprature and compass displays.
  • mrtommyboy2000mrtommyboy2000 Member Posts: 9
    Got the armrest but decided against installing it. Leather is a nice match but they didn't match the thread/stitching. I don't think most people would notice but I'm anal that way.
  • yoginilyoginil Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 RSX s-type and am looking into getting an AEM air intake kit for it. AEM tech support confirms that the part has been tested on RSX models up through 2005, but not 2006. Is there any reason(engine/mechanical systems-wise) that an air intake that works/fits on a 2005 would not work on a 2006? My impression is that the 2006 model is not substantively changed in any way from the 2005.
    Also, any thoughts on how hard this thing is going to be to install?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    L.R.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Need more information.
    Is it a short ram or a cold air intake?
    One is a short tube and the other is longer and snakes down through the engine compartment towards the front left foglight area.
    The short ram is easy to install but doesn't provide very much performance gains.
    The cold air intake provides more gains but is haredr to install.

Besides that though, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting an intake onto a 2006 model. Nothing has changed in the engine compartment. For more investigation you might want to check out some other websites geared specifically towards the RSX.
  • doynedoyne Member Posts: 1
    im installing a T 25 Turbo and i need to know if the stock internals will be able to take the heat and preassure? ill only be running about 7 pounds of boost. any help would be appreciated. its a 2003 RSX-S and it only has 35000 miles
  • rylanlolarylanlola Member Posts: 3
    I have had some repeated problems with defective springs in my front suspension, and was wondering if there was aftermarket parts that would improve the ride, and stop the knocking when I hit bumps
  • commissionercommissioner Member Posts: 3
    I thought I read several messages on the RSX and Honda message boards that installing a cold air intake actually improves mileage. Anybody know for sure? Now I read on this board that somebody's mileage went down on their Civic.
    I'm figuring on about five extra horses. But there's no way an intake is going to affect torque. As for mileage I don't have a clue.
    One of the main reasons I want to go CAI is to get a little more "rumble" out of the engine. Eventually I can go to a catback or just a different muffler, but I can't see replacing the exhaust components until they're ready to be replaced, which is going to be at least 4 or 5 years.
    Also, anybody know if a CAI will affect emissions testing? We get tested every other year in Illinois, and I'm not sure I want to be taking the thing on and off. If that's the case, maybe just get a different air filter.
  • nileshdnileshd Member Posts: 7
    Did anyone install wing spoiler for RSX? Spoilers with lid looks nice, but the nearby dealer quoted too much to me for that ($589) I believe, the profit he is making for spoiler may be more than the profit he is making selling the car.

Aalso, has someone installed interior panel kit from Acura? I got the info that it is to enhance the interior of the car, but the dealer could not provide any details. Seems like, not many people go for it...

BTW, I have 2006 RSX silver color.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I pd $400.00 for spoiler and $372.00 for fogs. I put a clear mask on it for $125.00 My Type S is silver.
    I'm trying to get OEM heated seats now, as the leather is cold mornings.
    The internal is a waste of money.Watch out for your drivers seat as it will crack, being kidney shaped.
    They say when you buy the entry model that's what you get.
    My friends Subaru leather is alot softer and more comfortable.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I pd $400.00 for spoiler and $372.00 for fogs. I put a clear mask on it for $125.00 My Type S is silver.
    I'm trying to get OEM heated seats now, as the leather is cold mornings.
    The internal is a waste of money.Watch out for you drivers seat as it will crack being kidney shaped.
    They say when you buy the entry model that's what you get.
    My friends Subaru leather is alot softer andmore comfortable.
  • 2006rsx2006rsx Member Posts: 32
    A CAI will do very little for a stock engine. I doubt very seriously if you'll gain any HP at all. And I have a CAI and Cat-back on my RSX! It does sound a lot better though. Neither one of these "mods" will not affect your emisions.
  • jpbalfourjpbalfour Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 06 RSX-S and am looking to upgrade. I am starting with a CAI and a short shifter (as I feel the current shifter is way to high). Where should I go from here? I am using a very good CAI and not a cheap AEM, or generic one. What else should I do that is "bolt on" as I don't want to void the warranty.

Also, I don't want the car to look like a "tuner" car as I am going to clients offices with it and am working in a very high level sales position, so I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I only want to know that I have upgraded the car when I step on the accelerator.....will not do an exhaust unless it is only seriously more audible over 5000 rpms..what do youthinkk?
  • ricerocketts04ricerocketts04 Member Posts: 4
    im a newbee to the import cars and im just about to get a type s 04 i have been reading on here bout all the noises and things but no one is saying anything about the 04 doing that... does any one have that problem? And also im going to buy my acura from a mazda dealer.. i was just wanting to know if the 04's have break problems this car has 43000 miles on it is that good or bad for an 04? :confuse: if someone could get back to me asap that be great...

mike
  • ricerocketts04ricerocketts04 Member Posts: 4
    oh and the mazda dealer doesnt have the acura warranty on it is that bad to buy an acura off an non acura lot? with 43000 miles on it they are selling me the car for 13,300 and my trade is that good price for this kind of car?
  • jdm_richardjdm_richard Member Posts: 1
    The Tein Super Streets would be the way to go not just because i have em but they come with the uppermounts which means you can adjust the camber without the need of a camber kit. Another kit you should think about is the KSport coilovers. IDK which one but the're pretty cheap copared to the Teins.
  • mgrangeiromgrangeiro Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!

I took my car to U-Haul on March 31st to get a hitch installed so I could tow the smallest trailer possible for moving purposes.

Acura said they don't do hitches in RSX's, but U-Haul bought the parts for me and installed them. It was yesterday when I dropped by to pick up the trailer so I could start my moving process. Well, I drove the trailer EMPTY over to my house and just parked it there. Today at work I realized the hitch was out of place so I went and checked under my car and noticed my car was damaged.

I didn't do anything unusual and it only took me 15 minutes to go from U-Haul to my house.

I was wondering if the type of hitch installed could've been the wrong one. Would anyone know? I went to my mechanic and he said it was not the right one, considering the arms of the hitch were attached to the thin layer just under the spare tire.

Here is all the relevant info I got from the receipt and by looking at the hitch itself.

Receipt:
    1. Kit Drawbar Long 2.215" Drop
    2. Ball 2x3/4x1-15/16" 5000 LB
    3. Hitch1 Acura RSX
    4. Class 1 (Up to 2000 LB (GTW) and 200 LB (TW))

Hitch:
    Part#: 24719 2000 LB
    Not sure if this is just a SKU number or what.

Please any help I can get will be highly appreciated!

Thanks to all in advance!

Marco
This discussion has been closed.