Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    New is fine.

My concern with that one is that they were disclosing that the vehicle had prior damage. It may or may not be a salvage title, so check. My insurance company will not sell Collision coverage for a salvaged vehicle, not at any price, for instance.

I don't think all the info from Katrina cars has been put together yet, so I'd shy away from any "damaged" cars for now. In fact, forever.

-juice
  • kizkiz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to everyone for your posts. Really helped me get a great deal. I love how the Internet helps level the car buying playing field.

First off, Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City was a pleasure to deal with. Not the best price off the bat, but quickly dropped to invoice and after some work got down to $400 under invoice. Carlsen is my local dealer so I'm glad I wasn't forced to travel to get the best price.

My strategy was to request quotes from every dealer within 50 miles of where I live and do my negotiating by email and over the phone. There are a lot of dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I received many quotes. About half the quotes were ridiculous quotes, but the rest were fair quotes right off the bat from the Internet sales managers (within $500 of invoice). No dealer would commit to under invoice by email, but two local dealers (Livermore and Walnut Creek) told me over the phone that they would do $400 under invoice. I took that back to Carlsen and even though it wasn't in writing they closed the deal today. The Oakland Subaru dealer told me I would be lucky to get a B9 for $500 under MSRP. :P What a clown.

My wife's Tribeca is a 7-seat, DVD & Nav, black w/ beige leather(had a choice of exterior and interior colors), puddle lights, aero crossbar, popular equipment group 1, rear bumper cover, cargo tray, luggage compartment cover (useless), all weather floor mats. I think that covers all the extras. No BS fees on the invoice, except for the regional marketing fee that every local dealer would include.

MSRP = $39,265.00
    Invoice = $36,287.00
    My price = $35,887.00

I checked the dealer invoice against Edmunds.com and it was pretty close. Edmunds was right on with the invoice price of the car, but some of the options were off - some higher on Edmunds, some lower on Edmunds, but overall it was about even.

I figured I got a good deal on the car, so I went with the 3 year / 36,000 mile service plan (7,500 mile intervals) for $720.00 and a gold plan 6 year / 60,000 mile $0 deductible warranty for $880.00. Probably could have done better, but not too bad. I think someone posted getting a better price on the service and extended warranty plans.

I passed on the Lojack and permaplate/interior treatment, despite Carlsen's offer to cut the permaplate price in half to $295.

I took the 1.9% financing over 24 months. I have the cash, but how can you turn down the free money? You can make more interest on your money sitting in a CD or treasury.

Happy shopping.
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Went to the Subaru VIP event at the Seattle Auto Show yesterday and one of the perks handed out was a VIP card that is good at any Subaru dealer for the purchase or lease of any new Subaru at 2% under dealer cost. I wonder how that translates into real world prices? 2% under invoice with a bunch of admin. fees tacked on?

Other perks were 2 tickets to the show and 2 T-shirts, well worth the one hour drive to Seattle. Good show too, thanks Subaru!
  • anmillsanmills Member Posts: 8
    Is this a good deal that I am being offered?

Titanium Silver Metallic Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav and Gray Int. Plus options (puddle lights, aero crossbar, auto dim mirror/compass, security shock sensor, cargo tray, rear bumper cover, all weather mats, wheel locks

$33,838 includes destination charge, dealer charge of $399 on top

They have lowballed my trade in, and claim they are $500 over invoice, by my calc it is more like $775. The car is available

So what do you think?
  • anmillsanmills Member Posts: 8
    Final Price was $33,139 + $399 dealer charge

for

Titanium Silver Metallic Ltd. 5-Pass. 4dr SUV AWD w/Nav and Gray Int. Plus options (puddle lights, aero crossbar, auto dim mirror/compass, security shock sensor, cargo tray, rear bumper cover, all weather mats, wheel locks)
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Seems like a very good price. Including destination and advertising fees, invoice for that vehicle with those options is about $33,338 and your total was $33,538. I'd say $200 over invoice is one of the better sale prices we've seen. Sounds like you did a nice job. :shades:

Enjoy your B9 Tribeca!
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    Hi,
    I live on L.I. And purchased on September 20th a
    champagne gold opal 5 pass. limited with the following dealer add on equiptment.
    Crossbar areo,
    luggage compartment cover
    Auto-dimming mirror/compass
    all weather floormats
    rear bumber cover
    cargo tray
    puddle lights
    rear seat cargo net
    rear door cargo net
    Total suggested retail price $33, 889.00
    I paid $32,604.42
    The dealer also gave $15, 800 for a trade in for my '03 forester XS.
    I have my Tribeca for 2 months, and it is a great car. It gets 23-25 mpg hwy, but around 15mpg around town.
    It is my third Subaru, and so far the best! :)
    Very nice, congratulations.

-juice
  • paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    Made the deal on Friday for our new Tribeca; 5-pass, Ltd, all-weather mats, puddle lights, auto-dimming compass mirror upgrade, and a couple of other small options. Price quoted and agreed to was $33,759 (looks like invoice price from what I can determine). We pick it up on Wednesday. The only 'extra charge' was $65 for doc fees and such. It is white with grey leather. If you are in Minnesota, check out St. Cloud Subaru. They are straight shooters. We pick it up Wednesday, just in time for snow. I can't wait...

Paul in MN.
    Cool Paul, congrats. You'd been shopping for a while, right?

-juice
  • drohrerdrohrer Member Posts: 37
    Spoke with our subaru Dealer Sat. (Southeast Wisconsin) and was told that Subaru was offering an additional $1000 on the 7 pass version. This was good with the low rate financing as well. This deal was supposed to be good through the end of the month.
  • paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    Been shopping since they were introduced but wasn't quite ready to buy.

Forgot to mention that it is a 5-pass limited w/NAV.
  • b9ctb9ct Member Posts: 16
    B9 Beca 5 Seater Limited
    Mahogany Red
    Base: $29,680
    Options: Crossbar, Splash guard kit, Hood protector,rear bumper cover :$537

Total 30,217
    6% tax
    $298 (some unmemorable fee)
    $85 registration
    ____
    All in $32,400 :)

Checked with three other dealers in area and they said take it. Wouldn't match it.

Any indication on what a good price for Nav system would be?

Cheers
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,127
    Yeah.. if you need hauling capability, a wagon is the way to go....

Jetta TDI, if you can find one? MPG in the 40s on the highway...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mark625mark625 Member Posts: 12
    This is the quote from SoCal Subaru Dealer. This is for 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca 5 Passengar Limited Automatic, Satin White with Navigation System
    The sticker price is $35,713 (which include install options: Bumper Cover, Puddle Light, Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass. Security system shock sensor, crossbar and aero)

Lease Terms:

Term: 36
    Drive Off's: $935.00
    Miles Per Year: 15k
    Payment: $425.00 plus tax

Term: 36
    Drive Off's: $889.00
    Miles Per Year: 12k
    Payment: $414.00 plus tax

Can anybody tell me am I getting a good deal on lease or should I bargain more? Your comments will be appreciated.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Your dealer probably needed the sale to reach the stairstep program goal, you did well by it!
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    You can not judge a lease on down payments & monthly payment alone.

What are you paying for the vehicle.

You stated the sticker price, what is the capitalized cost going on the lease and what makes it up.

If the capitalized cost is at or near dealer cost and the fees are in line with industry standards then you are getting a good deal.
    I changed my mind to a 7 passenger limited with following options:

Standard Features:
    Navigation System (Touch Screen)
    DVD Entertainment System (9" Screen)

Factory Added Options:
    Auto Dimming Mirror Compass
    Security System Upgrade
    Puddle Lights
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Crossbar Set
    Wheel Locks

Dealer Installed Options:
    Front Bumper Guards
    Cargo Spotlight
    All weather Floor Mats (residual item "means you don't pay for this item up front")

Drive Off's: $1,000.00
    Term: 48 months
    Miles: 12,000 per year
    Base Payment: $451.47
    Tax: $34.99
    Payment: $486.46

MSRP: $39,108.00
    Selling Price: $36,191.00

Am I getting a good deal on this lease term? Thanks so much for your help. ^_^
    The price looks great. I'm not a lease expert but the discount off MSRP is pretty substantial.

-juice
    I have received the lastest deal as following:

MSRP: $39,108.00
    SELLING PRICE: $36,191.00

1. $0 DRIVE OFF
    TERM: 36 MONTH
    12K MILES / PER YEAR
    FINANCE RATE (APR) = .00090 (excellent money factor)
    RESIDUAL VALUE AFTER 36 MONTH = $23,429.40
    MONTHLY PAYMENT (INCLUDED TAX) = $485.63

2. $1000 DRIVE OFF
    TERM: 36 MONTH
    12K MILES / PER YEAR
    FINANCE RATE (APR) = .00090
    RESIDUAL VALUE AFTER 36 MONTH = $23,429.40
    MONTHLY PAYMENT (INCLUDED TAX) = $452.65

Btw, this is for 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca 7 Passenger Limited
    Automatic, Titanium Metallic Silver (6HO) Model with Gray Leather Interior

Standard Features:
    Navigation System (Touch Screen)
    DVD Entertainment System (9" Screen)

Factory Added Options:
    Auto Dimming Mirror Compass
    Security System Upgrade
    Puddle Lights
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Crossbar Set
    Wheel Locks

Dealer Installed Options:
    Front Bumper Guards
    Cargo Spotlight
    All weather Floor Mats (residual item "means you don't pay for this item up
    front")

What do you guys think? Thanks...
    It appears that deal #2 is a little better. Over the 3 years you will pay about $180 less with #2 - even though you are shelling out $1000 up front I don't think you could earn more than a $180 on 1K if you invested it for 3 years.

Either one looks very good. What is the tax rate in your state?
    it's Socal. 7.75%.. Thanks for input. :)
  • b9bingob9bingo Member Posts: 46
    I've read people paying $600 for 4yr/60k gold warranty with 0 deductable. I purchased a 7yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty for $1700 with a $100 deductable. Owch! What's invoice for a 7yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty with $100 deductable?
    Well the 4/60 retails for $800 (I've seen it go for $500) and the 7/100 with $100 deductable retails at $1950, figure 40% off for a high end warranty like that one. Invoice on a warranty is 50% of retail.
    Wow, so I over paid by $700. Well at least I have a 7/100k warranty. And I did get a great deal on the B9.
    4/60 is only getting 1/24 more than what is included standard.

Your 7/100 is 4/64 more than standard. You bought a lot more time and miles, and if you think about it an older vehicle with higher miles is a bigger risk.

-juice
    Now that you put it that way I feel a little better. Thanks!
    You're welcome.

The Subaru warranty is worth more than people think, you also get roadside assistance for the whole duration of the warranty.

My wife was paying for AAA, 7 years would have added up to $497. That pays for a large portion of the warranty.

It should help your resale value as well.

Plus, of course, you mitigate risk, and can finance the cost of the warranty into your payments. No surprises for 7 years, so you can sleep peacefully.

Congrats.

-juice
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    I only have had my 7 pass tribe for 2 months
    but getting no where near the 23-25 MPG
    What is the secret???
    25mpg is optimistic for any mid-size SUV. I think if you go very easy on the throttle and stay below 60mph, it's possible, but most people won't even come close.

-juice
    I got 24.6 on a recent short trip, but I was lightfootin' it.
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    I paid $665 for the 4/60,000 gold for my Tribeca, plus I received $564.50 on the remaining balance from the plan from my 2003 Forester. Remember guys, if you don't use the warranty and you have remaining time left on it, you are entitled to a refund on the balance of the plan.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Anchor Subaru in Lincoln, RI supposedly has several truckloads of Tribeca's they are selling as "scratch & dent" They say the scratches are very minor, barely noticeable but they cannot fix them otherwise would have disclose that to potential customers.

They have a few of the 7 passenger with leather, I believe they list for $34,500 to $34,900 and are selling for $29,000. Seems like a pretty good deal if the damage is not even noticeable.

I am just concerned about getting lousy gas mileage. I presently have 05 Outback 2.5 ltd & get decent mileage on that vehicle. Plus, I love the large sunroof--would be difficult to go back to a vehicle with a smaller, "normal" one!

When I purchased this vehicle 12 months ago got a great deal on extended warranty 100,000 miles for 5 years for $899. I don't think anyone could have beaten that price at the time. Also, got 1.9% financing & still have two years to go.

As much as I like the Tribeca's will probably wait two more years. By then perhaps they will have improved the gas mileage somewhat.
    The deal is tempting. There were a batch of these damaged near Indiana while in storage awaiting delivery to dealers, so the deal is legit.

You only give up the paint warranty, basically.

-juice
  • asraghuasraghu Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a Seacrest Green 5-Seat Ltd with Auto Dimming mirror/Compass, All Weather mats, Splash guards in Lewisville,TX

Prices paid:
    Price: $30,795
    Plus
    6.x% tax
    Documentary fees : $50
    Dealer inventory tax: $63.75
    Inspection fee: $21.75
    Other : $5
    --------------------
    Total : $32965

Paid $2965 down payment and rest Subaru financing @ 1.9% APR for 24 months.

The deal was quickly done over phone and completed in 2 hours. However negotiation for 7yr/100000miles/$100 Ded. Warranty broke down as I was quoted $1650, I asked for around $1200. The dealer said that its not even a ball park offer. I am curious to know
    1. Was my offer for warranty a fair one ?
    2. Can I now buy the warranty from other dealers in TX ?
    How will buying extended warranty from a
    different dealer effect me in future (i,e service
    quality etc)?

The decision to B9 done after test driving Murano & RAV4.
    Excellent ride quality, safety & handling is top class. Interior is posh, feel of RX330 class, All features are standard which is great & lastly the Boxer engine...

Things I am worred about/Cons of B9
    -----------------------------------
    1. The rear hatch door might rattle after a few thousand miles, the rear hatch door sturts are weak too. Subaru should redesign it in 2007.
    2. Rear view camera should be added in 2007
    3. Low milage (I know this before buying)

Happy riding B9.
    Congrats on the nice ride! Check the main B9 Tribeca forum - a few other folks there have experienced weak struts on the rear hatch. I believe they're being replaced with stronger struts for free under the manufacturer's warranty.

Also, rumor does have it that a rearview camera will be available in the '07 model, which is scheduled to debut in a week at the Chicago Auto Show. I'd guess it'll be on sale in June.
  • barolenrbarolenr Member Posts: 6
    I recently leased(My 1st lease) the Tribeca from Annapolis Volvo and Subaru. I must say after walking out of this dealership, I have never had a better buying experience. They went out of their way to make my buying experience pleasant, enjoyable and supportive. Never had a buying experience that came anywhere near this in the Metro DC area. I bought the 7 passenger with Nav and many other extras. I paid thousands off $37,000 + MSRP. My payments will be 380/month for 36 months, 15000/yr mileage, no money down except taxes, tags and 1st monthly payment and will owe about $21,000 if we buy the car from them.
    I love this SUV! This is my first Subaru. I am enjoying this better than my FX which I sold. Someone mentioned a back up camera, I assume this was an add on but found the camera in my FX useless when it was sunny or rainy out and I couldn't see the nav picture. Good luck with the camera, I would not choose to have that installed in this car.
    Has anyone figured out the MP3 player? I want to attach my ipod to it and so far I am very confused? Thanks
    Congrats, I drive by that dealer all the time when I'm heading to the beach.

-juice
    Great lease price
    I have had mine since 12/05
    $404 a month with $1000 down same vehicle with NAV and DVD
    My girlfriend got me the Harmon Kardon unit for i-pod
    Circuit City installed for $75
    this is by far the best and easiest compatible unit for ipod
    plus it matches interior
    If you can rig the i-pod via the MP3 and it is offers a clear way to see the songs than please share idea
    You cant attach your ipod to your system unless you have rear DVD system, and even then you have to be all the way in the back siting in the 7 passenger seat area to use it. However if you burn Mp3s to a cd without any folders it plays great.
    This Harmon Kardon you spoke about, what exactly is it and how is it installed? What's the purpose of having MP3 is you can't listen to your Ipod through it? Can it really be for only homemade CD's?
    SOA never advertised MP3 in-put except for the DVD system.

The in CD dash player has MP3 play back of MP3 encoded Cd's. They have huge capacity and sound great.
    believe called i-drive
    it works by hooking into back of radio unit
    than has connection adaptor coming throught the center console
    if you head to website there is demo on the unit
    Comdex gave it best new mobile i-pod device for 2005
    and you can use the attached wheel to navigate the songs
    just like the wheel on i-pod
    thank you I will look into comdex
  • jeff_donaldjeff_donald Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a Limited 7 passenger (fairly loaded but no DVD or Nav) for 36 months/36,000 miles. $2900 down and that includes licenses, fees, and first month payment. I have 35 payments remaining of $335/month. I got the vehicle from Mastro Subaru in Tampa. Best buying experience in over 30 years of buying/leasing new cars.
  • kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    I was driving home and saw a seafoam? green one on a lot. Said what the heck stopped in and it is a 7 passenger without the NAV and I think (can't remember)the cloth seats.

It has 7K miles and the salesman said he didn't know why they did it but they traded in on a hybrid Escape??? They want 28,995 and he indicated they might go a little lower. I had not intention of buying being perfectly happy with my Forester, but according to what I see online it looks like the invoice is in the 33K ball park on this...

Any input?
    This is just a guess but my guess is the Ford dealer probably gave about 23 or 24K for it. So I would say that there should be a least 2 grand more you could get off if bargain hard. the B9 is great but is not a hot seller and ford dealers probably don't attract a lot of Subie buyers.

Good luck.
    Current invoice on a new 7-pass B9 Tribeca, base model (no leather, DVD, NAV), is $30,805 including $625 destination.

You can find invoice pricing for B9 Tribeca, and for available accessories/options, here:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2006.html

I'll second Subienewbie2's opinion - if it truly is a base 7-pass, I wouldn't consider it a great deal unless you could get it for $27k or less. A quick search of a major used car website found two base 7-pass models with about 8k miles for $26,995 asking price at a Subaru dealership in New York state, so that shows you $27k is certainly reasonable to shoot for.

You could also probably find a 5-pass Limited model for the same price, which would have leather, 160W AM/FM/CD changer with subwoofer/amp and 8 speakers, though the 7-pass has 2nd-row A/C controls and rear headliner vents the 5-pass doesn't. Do you want the extra row & more A/C, or leather & upgraded sound? :)
    Base invoice before holdback is now $31,103 and destination has been bumped to $655 in my region.

There were some "paint-damaged" Tribecas offered up at auction recently and they're scattered about the country, might be worth a try to search for one.
    Interesting. SOA had just bumped the invoice by $275 on Feb. 6 to roll in what had been a separately listed $275 advertising fee.

Hmm... are you in Subaru of New England territory, raybear? That would explain the price difference. They tack on their own fee above and beyond SOA's, raising the dealer's invoice. Either way, the couple hundred bucks difference wouldn't be enough to spoil a good deal on a used vehicle.