Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ajfitzerajfitzer Member Posts: 30
    I agree with bear. You have nothing to lose by trying, but almost all deals are based upon inventory. If they are anxious about PUSHING the 5 seater LTD, and that is alright with you, you MAY get a good deal on it. Although I think most of the incentives are on the 7. Just e-mail them all, and let the negotiations begin. WORK OUT A PRICE FIGURE BEFORE YOU SET FOOT IN A DEALERSHIP!
  • tribeca4metribeca4me Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the replies guys... I can do with the 5 as I don't have kids or anything, I just wanted to look at the best deal. I will take your advice and email AFTER I get a better understanding of how leases work (this will be my first). Maybe they will be more willing to deal in June when the '07 hits the lot? I'll be checking back in with my progress as well as to see how everyone else is making out.
  • eh57eh57 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased 06 Blue Pearl 7-Pass Ltd with dvd and nav. It has puddle lights, rear bumper cover, security shock, auto dimming mirror, splash guard, front bumper underguard, all weather mats, trailer hitch, crossbars, wheel locks and 2 yr free maintenance for 35500 plus tax and title. I used the internet to get price quotes and it was the last day of the month.
  • tribeca4metribeca4me Member Posts: 6
    Hey there eh! I'm in GA too, which dealership did you go to? BTW,great deal!
  • coolddscooldds Member Posts: 2
  • coolddscooldds Member Posts: 2
    I am ready to buy a 7 passenger LE with navi, has , auto-dimming mir/compass, Trailer hitch, crossbar, sale price $34525. plus tax and lics.Invoice is $34748 .I will also get $1000 cash back if I finance with Subaru of America(%0 APR for 24 months,%1.9 for 36 and %2.9 for 40).
    I have been hearing on this forum to wait until mid or end of may to get really good deal.Do you think I should wait or go for it now.Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
  • eh57eh57 Member Posts: 2
    I got it from Troncalli in Cumming,Ga.
  • slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    If you are not particular about color/options, you might want to wait for a few more weeks. If you can wait for about five months, you may be able to get a good deal on 2007. 2007 has minor upgrades, I doubt there will be a surge in demand and competition from other brands like Mazda will drive down transaction price.
  • puckwizardpuckwizard Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a Champagne Gold 7 passenger B9 with Nav, Rear Bumber Cover, Roof Bar and AutoDimming Mirror for 32,350 (+tax registration etc) at MetroWest Subaru in MA. The deal was done online and went very smooth. I think i got a good deal. The vehicle was not on the dealer lot, but this wasn't a problem for them.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Seems like the MSRP on your car was just over $37K, with an invoice of $34K and change. So, it appears that you got it for a few hundred less than invoice, minus the Subaru $1500 rebate.

So yeah- I'd say you got about as good of a deal as can be had. I'm not sure how dealers make any money. Thanks for reporting and enjoy your new Subie.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    well they have holdback and if they sell enough units probably some cut in price over listed invoice.

and with gas prices I am sure just avoiding holding stock on a dealer lot is worth something.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There isn't a $3K markup over invoice.
    "raybear Replying to: morey000 (May 31, 2006 9:02 am)
    There isn't a $3K markup over invoice. "

Depending what you click off on the options for a 7pass Nav, with a few goodies, here is what I got from Edmunds:

Total with Options MSRP $37,409 Invoice $34,591

You're right, it's not quite $3K. But close.
    Or maybe Edmunds isn't correct? What do you know that we don't. Please share-
    Vehicle Detail Invoice
    6/3/2006 3:34:21 PM

Ship / Allocation: ***/1035
    Load Number: 10667 Massachusetts\Connecticut - OK
    Delivery Date: 5/8/2006
    Vehicle Description
    Vehicle Identification Number: 4S4-WX85C5 64000000
    Model Code: 6HO
    Model Description: 2006 B9 Tribeca - 7S-LTRAUD/DVD/NAV - GRA Int
    Transmission: AWD
    Exterior Color: BLK Obsidian Black Pearl
    Factory Accessory: AC 7 Seats/Leather Seat/Hi Grade Audio/Spk/DVD/NAV
    Body Type:
    Ignition Key:
    Engine Number: 0

Port Accessories
    Dealer Cost Suggested List
    Base Price 35994.00 37695.00
    HB7540000
    MSU 31.00 WHEEL LOCKS 48.00

Suggested Retail Price 37743.00
    Transportation and Handling 655.00

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Dealer Cost 36025.00 Total Suggested List 38398.00
    Interesting. Dealer cost as reported by your tag, is quite different than that reported by Edmunds.

I wonder what the difference is?
    Edmunds may have taken out the holdback.
  • ksmdnyksmdny Member Posts: 8
    My local Subaru dealer is advertising a $2000 factory rebate and a $1975 dealer discount for ’06 Tribecas. When I went to the dealership, the number they are working down from is the MSRP, which would still bring the cost of a 7 passenger (not Limited) to under $30,000.
    Does anyone know where the “dealer discount” originates from? Is it truly from the dealer or is it a Subaru incentive given to the dealers that doesn’t come out of the dealer’s pockets?
    Depending on that, is it reasonable to negotiate these discounts from a number lower than the MSRP (such as Edmonds true market value). Doing so would bring an ‘06 7 passenger to around $27,600. Does that sound like a reasonable price?
  • nspringernspringer Member Posts: 12
    Don't know about all the discounts, but I just got an '06 Tribeca 7 pass. limited for under $30,000. So I bet you could do better. It depends a bit on where you are, I guess. I got it in Dayton, OH. If you really can get it for the $27600 or whatever, that sounds pretty good...
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    wow, no doubt. CarsDirect is showing "special pricing" for the B9's, a bit over $2k under invoice for my area.

-Brian
  • viper2viper2 Member Posts: 38
    Hi.

This all depends on where you are, but I believe the incentive is $2000 for 5 passenger models and $2500 for 7 passenger models. These incentives can be applied to low APR purchases AND their special lease program.

I'm looking to lease either a B9 or a Pilot. The Pilot is slightly cheaper to lease, but I'm leaning towards the B9. I just started collecting quotes, but I probably would not pay more than invoice minus whatever the incentive is. One dealer offered me better than invoice minus $2000 for the 5 passenger, but I need to call them and double-check the numbers. They look a little too good. I'll definitely pass their name along if it turns out to be legit.

Peter
  • ksmdnyksmdny Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the feedback, folks! It sounds like I can be a little more ambitious with my negotiating position.
    Hi everyone. I finally leased my B9 this past Saturday. It's a 5 passenger Limited with auto-dim mirror, puddle lights, and splash guards. The MSRP is 33,491 including destination.

My 3 year/36,000 mile lease deal is only 193 due at signing and then 386.89 per month for the remaining 35 months.

Money factor and residual are 0.0012 and 54%.
    Acqusition fee is 595.
    0 security.
    95 doc fee.
    DMV was 342.
    7.50 tire tax.

Everything was rolled into the monthly payment. The actuall selling price is a little fuzzy since only 193 was due at signing. The original quote was 385.99 per month with only 385.99 due at signing. Backing all the fees out leads me to a selling price of 28,084 including tax.

The only stipulation was that I had to buy on Saturday. My current lease isn't due until 7/25, so I was hesitant to throw away a month's payment.

I was willing to lose half, so they said they would cut the first payment in half to 193 (my current lease payment is about 400).

The only thing that annoyed me is that the final lease contract was printed up with 386.89 per month. So, I guess that's an extra $35 over three years, but I think I still got a pretty good deal.

There was some miscommunication between my salesguy and the finance guy. The salesguy apologized. And, he said he'd give me a free oil change if I gave him all good marks on the survey (which I would have done anyway). So, the extra 35 evens out with the free oil change.

The internet manager at Pine Belt Subaru is a really good guy. Everything was done over email and phone. My wife and I just went to the dealership to do a quick test drive and had to wait about 30 mins for the contracts to be drawn up.

It was a pretty painless process. Pine Belt Subaru is in Lakewood, New Jersey.

Thanks,

Peter
    I have always heard that Fitzmall in Maryland was one of the most competitive dealers. Maybe it's due to regional differences, but I was quoted a money factor of 0.0017 and an acquisition fee of 695. This lead to a monthly payment of 425.66.

Their selling price on an MSRP of 33,451 was 27,752. This is more aggressive than the Pine Belt selling price, but the higher money factor and acquisition fee raise the final monthly number.

Anyone from the NYC area thinking about taking a drive down there should get all the final numbers in writing so there are no surprises when you get there.

Peter
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, the payment sounds very reasonable for all that you get. :shades:

-juice
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new Subaru B9 Tribeca and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Thanks.

I wasn't too excited about getting an SUV, but I am definitely happy to be a Subaru owner.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Close to buying a Tribeca. Right now, several dealers in Southeastern, MA & RI all offering deep discounts until Friday. Apparently there is a $2000 rebate on 5 passenger and $2500 on 7 passenger. Plus -0- percent financing for 2 years or 2.9 percent for 3 years. For a typical 7 passenger limited with a list price of $34,550 have had several offers between $28200 & $28500. I think if I push hard enough can get one for $28,000. I am not sure what the invoice is for this vehicle, I believe somewhere around $32,000 or $32,500 so appears as though dealer looking for $1000 to $2000 below invoice.

Undecided whether to wait a bit longer or take the leap. Very concerned about gas mileage--most of what I have read on the message boards indicates the vehicle will certainly get no better than the 18 city 23 highway listed on the sticker, and probably less than that. Any comments on pricing and gas mileage would be very much appreciated.

Also I believe 91 octane is "recommended", but not "required" Any one out there with experiences on running 89 I would appreciate comments.

Lastly, I have XM Commander radio. I have it installed in my 05 Outback now with no problem. Anyone out there hooked one, or another model without any problem?
    Hey, how many offers have you gotten between 28,2 and 28,5? I'd be pretty confident in the pricing if at least 3 or 4 dealers were quoting similar prices.

Carsdirect.com has the invoice at 32,591. Taking away the 2500 incentive gets you to 30,000. So, it looks like they're willing to offer the car 15-1800 lower.

I think my deal was around 1500 lower than invoice before the 2000 incentive. I didn't ask for a lower price because I only had one dealer being this aggressive. All the others were higher.

If you have a couple of aggressive sellers, you should be able to get one of them to step up and improve their price. If not, you can always buy it for 28,200 which is still a pretty good price.

Good luck and make sure to take the doc fees from the competing dealers into account. The lowest priced dealer could have the highest doc fee.

Peter
    Dock fees from Anchor, No Smithfield RI $95. My other option is Somerset, Somerset MA. Another dealer, Clay in Norwood, MA quoted me $28300 & said he would beat everyone by $300. However, I have had excellent service from Somerset & would just as soon buy from them. They are not too far away & have been very helpful (considering I never bought my 05 Outback from them. Purchased it from a dealer in Pawtucket, RI, Capitol who went out of business shortly after I purchased the vehicle. So much for my one year of free oil changes!

Just concerned about the darn gas mileage & do I really need to, and/or will gas mileage or performance suffer if I use 91 or 89.

I travel around 32,500 miles per year & probably average just about 25 mpg in Outback. That's 1300 gallons say at $290 = $3770 per year. If I average 20 mpg in Tribeca, that's 1625 gallons, say at $3.10 that's $5040. If I made to with 91 octane, say at $3.00 that's $4875 still $1000 per year additional.

Is the Tribeca worth it??? If gas is $4 per gallon, that's another $1600 per year. Maybe I should get a Prius???
    Put simply, no. Do not get a Prius as an alternative to a Tribeca, if that's what you really want.

Consider a Highlander Hybrid, sure, if you've got the $40 grand. But it would take you probably 17 years to recover $12,000 plus interest in gas costs, so get the Tribeca!

-juice
    Juice, I was not real serious about the Prius, but am concerned about gas mileage I might expect on Tribeca. I travel around 35k per year & the deal with my present employer is I pay for all expenses related to travel, excluding meals, hotels, etc. With my 05 Outback 2.5 ltd I average around 26.5 highway & figure with the Tribeca that average would be more like 21 of so, plus, I guess premium "recommended" (but not "required" If I skimp & get a lower grade & the mileage suffers by 5 to 10% what have I gained. Really trying to get some real world figures in gas mileage.
    If those are highway miles I honestly think you'll do better than 21 mpg. Figure 23 mpg or so.

I had one for a week, and noticed a big discrepancy - city was as low as 13 mpg, but highway was good, up to 25 mpg.

-juice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    ... I sure wouldn't be buying an SUV...

But, that is just my take on it.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Tee hee, good point.

Consider a Legacy 2.5i wagon, 23/30 mpg is great for a roomy AWD like that.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    The Jetta may get 40 MPG on the highway, but it gets 0 MPG on the side of the road. On the plus side, its MPG on the back of a tow truck is fantastic, but that's pricey.
    :P
  • cacmancacman Member Posts: 40
    We have about 3,000 miles on our Beca - We have averaged 22 MPG on our first trip, fully loaded with 5 passengers. As for around town, we are averaging 15 MPG - My wife does the driving, and most trips are 3-4 miles - Unless you are going to go for high MPG cars (Prius), I don't believe the MPG should be a big factor. If you like the car ( which I love the Beca), if it is safe and will it have good trade in value should be much more important IMHO.
    You putting in premium, or mid grade? They have extended the -0- financing & $2500 rebate now until July 5 so I have more time to think about it
  • cacmancacman Member Posts: 40
    mid-grade
    Got two dealers both down to $27,600 for 7 pass limited w/leather. That seems like a great price. They both insist only today, being last day of month. Now trying to see what they will do on my trade. So far, Clay Subaru, Norwood, MA best deal. I am still not convinced that I could wait another week, or even a month and do just as well, or even better
  • nspringernspringer Member Posts: 12
    Great price, I would jump on it if they have the car you want.
    I think that's a great price, too. The '07s should be arriving any day, so the inventory of '06s will only be decreasing.
    In fact - wow! - you're $5000 below invoice!
    Well, There is a $2500 rebate on the 7 passenger. Also, and I found out late this afternoon, Subaru New England was giving extra $750 "cash" that expired today. One dealer sent me a copy of e mail on that. But your are right that was a great deal & two dealers, Somerset In Somerset, MA & Clay in Norwood, MA both made identical offer. I have a feeling any other legitimate dealer would have made same offer.

However, there were to many "minor" things about the 06 I did not like. No electrical outlet on dash. Two in the center console storage box, but none on the dash. My Garmin portable nav system would not reach the outlet. Not a good spot for control for my satellite radio either. Lastly, not a good place for cradle for hands free phone on the dash.

Most of all, afraid of stinky gas mileage, I will stick with my Outback 2.5 ltd. Gets great gas mileage & no problems at all with it, 49,000 miles in 18 months. I still have around 50,000 miles on extended warranty. Will wait another year, probably be a similar situation with Tribeca's this time next year when the 08's will be coming out.
    Carla's a new dealer in Pawtucket, RI has black 5 passenger limited with puddle lights, list $33,270 advertised for $26,800, believe I can get for $26,500 if I can work out price for my trade. Other dealers still willing to sell 7 passenger limited that lists for $34,900 for $27,600. Still trying to decide if I would ever have use for the 7 passenger.

Apparently, the incentives have been extended to July 5

Any comments???
  • buckzorbuckzor Member Posts: 4
    We pre-ordered an 2007 7-passenger Limited with Navigation and DVD system in Diamond Gray Metallic. We opted against the gangsta chromed out :confuse: Special Edition, but we got nearly every option, including the rear sonar.

We are very excited, and even more so to have recently discovered this active forum. I'll definitely post some pictures and more information once we get our hands on the vehicle. It should be here on Friday the 14th.

Anyone have any suggestions, or tips? I've been very stern with the dealer, that it is not to be test driven by anyone save the dealer tech, which I understand is required as part of the "pre-delivery process". Im considering having them changeout the factory oil and instead use Mobil oil (not synthetic for the first 1K miles, supposedly) and then do Mobil 1 at the 1K mark.

MSRP was $39,612, our price $37,066.
    You might get the first 07 here...

-juice
  • tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    Just curious if anyone knows the $2500 rebate on 7-passenger Tribeca's apply for the 07 models?
    Absolutely not! Subaru has a big problem if they need to give rebates on 07's which are just beginning to arrive at dealerships.
  • alexk2alexk2 Member Posts: 6
    Is there still $750 dealer rebate available on Tribeca?
  • rnitzrnitz Member Posts: 2
    New member to this board (great resource). We just bought a new 2007 Tribeca Ltd. last week, 7-passenger, with NAV/DVD in the new gold color. Used the Costco plan and paid $100 over invoice (a little over $ 35K, if I remember).

We looked at the 06's because they were discounting them so much, but we settled on the 07 due to color/features. I hadn't seen much pricing info yet on the 07's (and we really needed a new car), so I'm not sure we got that good of a price (oh well).