Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

1111213141517»

Comments

• fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    How right you are - in Western PA there are tons of Cherokees. I have my '01 Sport in all papers and car publications locally with limited results. The dealers are offering $12K which is a shame considering it's in great shape with 19,000 miles on the clock.
    I also am considering a used Tacoma [perhaps an '01 or '02] because most of my needs are for light duty only. Plus, I have a Toyota and like their quality and reputation.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I've got mine listed locally for $10,000 and so far not even a call. My Ram sold almost as quickly as it went in the paper. We're not too far apart, I'm over in eastern OH. Dealers will likely only give me $8k for mine. I was watching the Jeep dealers to see if any had some nice Tacomas then I might get a better deal. If you don't need the full-size bed the Tacoma is a great choice. I've got my 1-ton if I really need the big bed, but usually I'm just hauling bags of feed, shavings, and other misc. The 24mpg my old Tacoma got was nice and it darted around town much easier.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    There have been some discussions here about resale value and the Cherokee example makes the point. There are so many used Explorers and Cherokees on the market right now that turn over rate is not a positive factor for dealers. As always, market rules apply.

That's why, despite what the Chevy and Ford lovers will tell you, actual resale prices are far less than the "listed" value. There are so many GM/Chevy pickups on the market right now. One dealer told me that he's had some GM & Chevy PUs on his lot for five months. That's not good turaround for a used car dealer.

Around here, used RAMs are not plentiful. In fact, there are usually more Dakotas found than RAMs.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Sorry to argue but I got 3 discounts. $2500 national rebate. $500 farm Bureau. $1000 coupon received in mail that said could be used in addition to any other rebate programs. Total $4000 rebates. Truck price MSRP $31,100 - Cash price $22,800 after rebates and discounts from MSRP. Of course have to add sales tax and licence to cost.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    Another explanation that a dealer gave me for the poor resale value of the Cherokee is the 0% financing at Jeep dealers. For example, if someone gets a loan for $15,000 at 6% for 60 months for my 2001 Sport, that same monthly payment is not far from a new Liberty with 0% for 60 months.
    Any other comments on the 01 Ram 1/2 ton? Sebring95 is don't see many 3/4 around here so I think a 1/2 is in my future.
  • madmacsmadmacs Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know what the actual rating for the factory "Class IV" tow hitch for the '03 Rams? Dodge has been completely useless in getting this information. The best guess I have gotten from local dealers is that it is 5,000 lbs weight carrying, which is the same that they claim for the bumper, so why bother with the hitch. Class III hitches are good up to 5,000 lbs, but Class IV is unspecified. It can be anything over 5,000 lbs.

I e-mailed Dodge directly and the only thing they could tell me was "350 lbs tongue weight" which would be absurd if true. I asked if there was someone they could pass me on to who might have a better idea, and was told there was not anyone else and that 350 lbs was the correct answer to my question.

If anyone has the information, I would like to find out what the actual rating is. If you can, also provide where this information came from because the dealers have let me look through the technical manuals for the truck and it only specifies the towing capacity of the truck itself. It never mentions the capacity of the hitch. I have crawled around under the trucks looking for a sticker or stamp on the hitch that might give the capacity (which I thought was a requirement), but it doesn't seem to exist.

Any help would be appreciated!
    According to my owners manual (2003 1-ton) concerning a class IV hitch:

A frame mounted hitch of up to Class IV rating, as rated by the hitch manufacturer, is supplied as a part of the trailer tow prep package. With a class IV hitch, you can tow a trailer with a gross trailer weight (GTW) of up to 10,000lbs maximum depending on your vehicle equipment. Tongue weight must be equal to at least 10% of the GTW, but no more than 15% of the GTW.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    The towing section of our training manual is both thick, and comprehensive. If you tell me the engine, trans, trim level, and tire size of your '03, I will be happy to jot down all of your specific specs for you.
    sebring95 - thanks for the information. I appreciate you looking that up for me, however since it doesn't specify if that is weight carrying or weight distributing, I'll have to assume that is the weight distributing value. It still does not give a good number for the weight carrying value. Thanks again for taking the time to look it up.

jglackin - I'll provide the information for the truck, however it should not be necessary to get the rating for the hitch itself. I have the tow rating for the vehicle (it can be calculated on Dodge's web site), but I can't find the information on the hitch itself.

The truck is a 2003 SLT short bed with the 5.7L engine, 5 sp auto, 4x4, 3.92 axle, and 20" wheels. The Dodge site shows 7500 lbs for the Max tow rating.

There are several after market hitches available that will work for me, but it would be nice to find out if it is necessary to spend the extra $$$ to upgrade the hitch.

Thanks!
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    The Dodge towing guide is still online for 2002 and 2003. If you have an older truck you will have to get the info from the dealer. Just go to the main Dodge webpage and look in "shop & buy" for "towing guide" A pop-up will appear and pick "by vehicle" Click on Ram truck and put in all the info. It should give two listings depending on what gears you have, and it has all the info from curb weights to trailer weight, to GCVR, GVWR, and even weight distribution front and rear. Pretty cool to have all that info online, my owners manual lists the online address as well or says get the info from the dealer.
    hersbird - I agree that it is quite nice for Dodge to put the towing information on the website, however they give the capacities for the truck and not the hitch. I am concerned about this because Dodge does not seem to want to put this information out. I guess to be safe I should just opt out of the factory tow package and put an aftermarket on.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
    Hitches are rated by their class. ALL class IV hitches are rated for 10,000 pounds weather or not on a Ford, U-haul, Chevy, Dodge, whatever. So the truck is probably not rated for as much as towing capacity as the hitch. At least not in my 1500's case. In the owners manual it talks about how much toung weight is allowed, and when a load equalizing hitch should be used. So a new 1500 Dodge with the tow package is limited by the tow rating on the website. If it didn't have the tow package and used the built in one on the bumper it would be limited to the 5000 pound rating printed on the bumper.
    Actually, Class IV is specified as 5,000 to 10,000 lbs. This does not mean that it is actually rated for 10k lbs., just that it is somewhere between 5k and 10k. Also, a hitch can be classified as a Class IV and be capable of supporting 10k lbs, but it might require weight distribution to get to that load. An example is the Draw-Tite hitch for the 2002 Ram 1500. It is a Class IV hitch but is only rated for 5k lbs if used in a weight carrying situation. Here's a link:

http://www.draw-tite.com/fitguides/fitguides/hitchsel_results.asp- - ?class=CLASS+IV&year=2002&make=Dodge&model=Pickup%2C+- - Ram%2C+Full+Size&style=1500+Only&x=47&y=0

I am using the Ram to pull a boat that weighed in at 5250 lbs with 530 lbs tounge weight on a CAT Scale. Since the trailer has surge breaks, weight distribution is not recommended. The upgrade to electric breaks is not something that I want to do right now, so I just need to find a Class IV hitch that supports about 7,000 lbs or more in a weight carrying capacity. I know these hitches are available as an aftermarket, but the factory hitch is there and it sure would be nice to be able to find the actual rating for it. I'm going up to another Dodge dealer tonight to see if they might be able to help out. I'll post any info I get from them.

I apologize for being such a pain about this, but it has become somewhat of a sore spot for me since I can't get the answer I am looking for.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Wow, that price is $8300 below MSRP. It seems from what I recall that the spread between MSRP and invoice price is about $3000-$3500 for that price of truck. With the FB $500 rebate and $2500 rebate that means paying invoice price you'd be paying about $6500 off MSRP. So, by my rough estimate, you got your truck for about $1800 below invoice price, plus the various rebates. I wonder if we can expect similar pricing if we look hard enough here in Georgia? Any other reason why you may have got such a great deal? (unpopular color choice, demo, etc?) I can get one at invoice price here, but I'd sure like to do better if the market is that slow. I realize it varies by market, but that's a fantastic price.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    You forgot 1 rebate, also had an additional $1000 rebate I received in the mail. Total rebates was $4000. There was a Memorial day sale and all "loaded" Rams were $3500 off MSRP. I had been looking and negotiating for a month or so. I wanted a Ram 1500 with a 4.7l v8, 5 speed auto, limited slip, 4 wheel anti-lock brakes and 2 wheel drive. These items were non negotiable. The closest the dealer could come was was a 5.7 hemi, 5 speed auto, limited slip, 4 wheel anti-lock brakes and 2 wheel drive. Unfortunately it had a 3.92 rear end and 20" wheels. I was hoping to get reasonable gas mileage and also did not want to pay $800+ for 20" wheels. The dealer finally knocked off the price of the wheels and I compromised & "forced" myself to take the Hemi. The $1000 coupon I got in the mail and the dealer knocking off the price of the 20" wheels is what made the fantastic price. Mileage is not too bad, first tank was 14.3mpg but that was breaking in the motor, my second tank is looking to be in the 13 range as I get on it more. Good luck in your search for your truck. Don't ever buy a truck on the first day you deal on it and don't ever let the saleperson know how bad you really want the truck. Do your research and play dealers off against one another. In the Omaha, Nebraska area there are 8 5 star dealers. 2 are major players and don't care to lose sales to the other. It works......
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    aha! I knew I was forgetting something there. Man, why can't a $1000 rebate show up in my mailbox?

Yeah, one salesman was really hot to sell me "TODAY" but I told him to cool his jets. I am going to get a price from what is said to be the biggest J/D/C dealer in the country before buying. They are a no-haggle dealer. My brother bought from them at true invoice(no doc fees) last week. I was hoping to do a little better than that on a regular cab (no kids and I tow al lthe time so I want something a little shorter to get into tight areas better) Getting a Hemi is now a no-brainer, especially if you were going to get 4 wheel abs anyway, due to the discount they give you on it with a Hemi. Resale value is why.

Someone earlier asked about the class IV hitch. I just looked at their towing guide online and it says 1200 lb max tongue weight for the IV and 500 lbs for the class III.
    I still say all class IV hitches are rated for 10,000 pounds. The weight distributing part is more a function of the receiver that goes in the hitch, and the toung of the trailer. So yes you can't put 10,000 pounds on a class IV hitch unless you use a weight distributing hitch. Here's what the Dodge owner's manual says on page 224:
       With a Class I Hitch, your vehicle can be equipped to tow trailers with a Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) of 907 kg. (2000 lbs.) maximum.
       Class II is up to 3500 lbs, but tongue weight must be between 10-15% of total trailer.
       Class III is up to 5000 lbs, and the the factory bumper is a class III hitch.
       Class IV is rated to up to 10,000 pounds depending on your vehicle equipment.

I was paraphrasing there at the end to avoid repetition of the lower ratings, but bottom line a class IV is for up to 10,000 pounds. The manual later says the maximum tongue weight is 1000 pounds on the class IV and that the equalizing hitch should be used for toung weights over 350 pounds (which would mean 10% on a 3500 pound trailer) on either the class III or IV.

So then go to www.dodge.com/towing and find out how much of that 10,000 pounds you can really tow. Personally I think that 350 pound toung weight limit for non-equalizing hitches is pretty conservative, but it limit's Dodge's liability so they try for optimum conditions.

All of this is laid out in the owners manual between pages 224 and 228, with the specific for the equipment on the webpage. I kind of like the specifics on the web because when they put it in the owners manual it's usually more generalized. My brother's expedition is listed just 4 ways, 4.8 or 5.4 and 2wd or 4wd, it seems like there would be more possibilities if they really wanted to break it down. The Dodge webpage must have 100 different combos on there for the Ram alone!
    I agree with Hersbird. I have noticed some aftermarket hitches recently rating them for 10,000# only if equipped with a equalizing hitch. My guess is they're trying to cover their butts legally by doing that. In the past, all class IV hitches have been rated at 10,000# regardless. It was left up to you to decide if you need the weight distributing hitch.

Madmacs concerns about 7,000# are probably not really warranted IMHO. Most hitches have more than enough safety cushion on the ratings anyway.
  • john358john358 Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I have been reading a lot about MSRP and invoice price. I live in Canada, so I know it is a little bit different. Is there anyone that knows a good link that describes true MSRP's and invoice prices/rebates here?

I also have another request can someone, please confirm/correct if my visions of the car market are correct in the US?

-The dealer buys the car from the company and pays invoice price, and is technically should sell for MSRP. (The dealer also pays for holdback which he gets back after selling the car)
    - If dealer will make money if he sells Invoice + commission of salesman + cost of running dealership. So really, invoice + 500 is a GREAT deal.
    - If there are rebates, that is money that the company will give back to the dealer after selling a car. So if the dealer pays $10,000 invoice. Normally he will sell for $10,500. So the dealer makes $500 But if there is a dealer rebate of $2,000. He will only be paying $8,000 for car making a profit of $2,500. So people negotiate the price down to $8,500, so the dealer still makes $500 and the consumer just pays less. So the only real looser in this situation is the car company, correct?
    - Are there incentives even if you choose the 0% financing?

I know I am simplifying, but is that the jist of it?

Anyone know how it is different for Canada?

Thanks
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yes, that's a simplified version of how it happens here in the US. The dealer either sells a car from stock, or orders one for a customer, after the conclusion of negotiations that are satisfactory to the dealer. This may mean above or below invoice, but it will always be satisfactory to the dealer.

Can't help with Canadian invoice pricing but I do know that there's a big market in Canadian vehicles being sold into the US. So much so that the manufacturers try to discourage it by not honoring their warranties here.
    I was finally able to get the ratings for the factory trailer hitch.

For trucks made prior to Nov 2002:
    10000 lbs weight distrubiting/ 1000 lbs tounge weight
    5000 lbs weight carrying/ 500 lbs tounge weight

For trucks made after Nov 2002:
    12000 lbs weight distrubiting/ 1200 lbs tounge weight
    5000 lbs weight carrying/ 500 lbs tounge weight
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Invoice +$500 is not a great deal. The standard deal on domestic makes stateside is invoice less rebate. I would assume the invoice price in Canada would be different due to exchange rates but, if you stick with this formula, you'll get a good deal regardless.
  • mr_mbunamr_mbuna Member Posts: 13
    We're currently in the market for an affordable pickup and will be purchasing by the end of the week. Price is the primary concern. Due to the lack of availability of 4x2 1500HD's, we're currently leaning towards the F-150 SuperCrew.

We'll be using the pickup as a daily driver as well as a weekend hauler for a 6300 pound boat and trailer. Twice per year the truck will serve as the vehicle for a 600-mile road trip towing a 1500 pound trailer and a family of four down the East Coast from Maryland to South Carolina.

I've been helping my dad pick out the right truck and its been a struggle to convince him to see the light on a 5.4L V8 over a 4.6L V8 though I think I've been successful in that regard. However, 4WD isn't going to happen as he sees it as an unneccessary expense.

We're looking to find a truck for $25,000 or less after rebates and everything. What can we expect to pay for these trucks? Is Edmunds.com TMV pricing accurate, or is paying Invoice minus rebates reasonable, or do these trucks go for Less Than Invoice minus rebates?

Please share views on the Ford v Chevy v Dodge **for our application and finances** as well as recommendations on worthwhile options and engine choices, etc.

Thanks!
    Ben
    You DO NOT want that 4.6L if you plan to tow 6300#. It's barely adequate empty IMHO, and UNSAFE pulling anything more than a few thousand pounds. At 80k miles mine would knock very bad pulling up a hill and was burning oil at an alarming rate. Gas mileage was roughly 16mpg empty and around 12mpg pulling so there was absolutely no advantage to owning that engine. Lesson learned. If you get the Ford you want the 5.4L, if you get the Dodge you want the 5.7L. I wouldn't want to tow that much with the Dodge 4.7L either.

I can't say much about prices except some dealers are more than willing to deal and others don't seem to care. I would think with a new Ford model around the corner they'd be more willing to move inventory.
  • mettechmettech Member Posts: 28
    Three months old w/5300 miles, Ram 2500,SLT, 4X4, quad cab. This is the only new vehicle I have owned that I did not have to take back to the dealer for some sort of repair. I have owned Mazda, Honda, Ply, and Lin.

However, I do wish I got the 4.10 rear with this truck. I pull a 24ft Jayco that is around 7000lbs loaded. I am unable to use O/D in strong head winds or hills. With the 4.10, I believe that O/D could be used AND I could tow an additional 2000lbs!!

Dodge has come a long way with quality, and the Ram IMHO leads the pack over GM and Ford. I will most likely buy a 3500 Ram next when I buy a 36ft(+) TT.. with the 4.10 of course.
  • gqlefty2gqlefty2 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering the Ram 1500. Dont know wheather to get the Hemi or the Reg. V8 !!! Would you reg V8 owners switch if you could ? I dont do alot of towing. Also Can anyone out there tell me if all the info I get from these websites are the REAL prices the dealers go by also, or do dealers have a super guarded seceret price with the Mfg. that only they know about and all the other stuff is fluff for the consumer. Sometimes its hard to believe the Auto makers are that free with it.
    Performance is a very subjective thing, and often times relates more to your style of driving.

I've driven the RAM Quad with the 4.7 polyhead motor and I thought it had plenty of power, even when I loaded it with 1300 pounds. Others, however, are not satisfied with the level of performance of the 4.7 and have opted for the Hemi engine.

Now there was the assumption that the Hemi would get about the same gas mileage as the 4.7, but in my experience that hasn't been true. As you would expect of a motor that delivers more horsepower, the reported range is about 10-13 MPG. The reports from 4.7 owners seem to be about 12-16.

Your driving style will dictate the fuel consumption of any engine. My recommendation is to drive both versions and decide if the extra horsepower is worth the differential in fuel consumption to you. Keep in mind that when you're not towing you will still need to feed those ponies.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Yes, they are actual invoice prices. However, they don't take into account things like manufacturer to dealer rebates or manufacturers volume incentive schemes.

If you were a small 'mom & pop' dealership selling only a couple of vehicles a month, then the published invoices are the prices you would pay, and the only profit you'd make would be from the amount over invoice you could sell for.

I doubt whether you'd be in business for long though.

:-)
  • ccpd400ccpd400 Member Posts: 12
    While pulling a 9000lb 5th wheel my trans decided to roll over and die. Just under 2000 miles. All fluids fine. Told it is " stuck between gears". They are going to replace trans. Felt like it dropped into neutral while going 65mph. Any one else have similar problems? 2003, 2500 quad cab 4x4, 5 speed auto 5.7 Hemi, tow package 4:10 rear end
  • gqlefty2gqlefty2 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody heard when 2004's will hit the dealerships?
    Based on the 2003 schedule, the change-over dates for the Dodge RAM are approximately as follows:

Lago Alberto, Mexico - 9 August
    Dodge City (Warren, MI) - 15 July
    Saltitlo, Mexico - 15 July
    St. Louis (North) - 15 July

The above are "first build" dates and don't represent actual completion of the first unit down the line. In addition, early build units will usually take longer in the manufacturing cycle as the assembly process is verified to ensure quality inspection targets. Right after change-over, the time out for early units can be as long as two weeks as it is the early units that supply the product testing people. Considering transportation times, it usually take at least 30 days before units start to show up at dealers.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • nt1992nt1992 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Southern California, and looking to buy an 03, Ram 1500 Quad Cab. The only available Laramie packages left at the dealers throughout the state come a with a "CA Express" package. This comes witha tonneau cover, agressive front bumper, side rails and other cosmetic items. With an MSRP of $3025.

A local high volume dealer has 22 of these CA express Laramie 1500 Quad cab 2WD. I was there this morning and the car has an MSRP of $38290.

Invoice on a non CA Express model is $31178. Less $2500 rebate, less $1000 hold back comes to around $27644. I offered the dealer $28500. He would not budge. He also would not show me the invoice, claiming the invoice on that car was $34355. He would not disclose the invoice cost of the $3025 Express option. Telling me that the invoice does ot breakout all these costs.

Has anyone purchased any of these trucks recently? If so how much?

This particular dealer had 22 of these cars on the lot, and I expect to see the 04's in about three weeks. They have sold all the Laramie packages and are only left with the Laramie "Express" packages. So I feel the $28500 is reasonable. These dealers will have to take a small haricut on these trucks.
  • gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    You are so right about those new 2004's coming out soon. I also saw a dealer with 13 2003 Hemi Express models on the ground. They are getting desperate to move some of them. Since it will be a year old model soon, it pays to wait and jump in at the last moment. I plan to wait until the end of the month either July or August. I am in no hurry and can play the waiting game if they can.

I have seen those $38,090 Msrp trucks come down to almost $32,000 so far, and many dealers have a ton of them. That same truck is known as the "Thunder Road" in all states except California, so each state gets the same truck.

I think there will be some improvements in the 2004 model. The Hemi has been plagued with a driveability problem on the earliest models of the Hemi 1500. They have been known to stumble and die in certain circustances while driving...most notably when backing up from a stop, or shifting from drive. There is a reprogramming computer bulletin out that supposedly corrects the problem, but the verdict is still out on that one.

The truck has gone through a price increase on the base price by $210.00, and the 29H package has gone up from $4365.00 to $4565.00, or another $200.00 bucks. So some of the old units MSRP for $37,880, and the newest models go for $38,290 at the worst. I also see a lot of them with only a $210 increase that retail at $38,090, so watch your stickers. I think they will be around $31,000 plus tax pretty soon if things don't change soon. The $2500 incentive will probably be continued into August. One can only hope that more incentive money is on the way, or the dealers cough up some of their profit. They also get a 3 or 4% holdback from DC when the vehicle is sold, so that is $1100. to $1300.00 bucks extra they get.

Good luck on your search for your new truck.
    GSEREP1
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Saltillo, St Louis North, and Dodge City all started 2004 production this past Monday July 21. Lago Alberto (birthplace of my 96) is no longer used as a US/Canada Ram plant.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    >>The Hemi has been plagued with a driveability problem on the earliest models of the Hemi 1500. They have been known to stumble and die in certain circustances while driving...most notably when backing up from a stop, or shifting from drive. There is a reprogramming computer bulletin out that supposedly corrects the problem, but the verdict is still out on that one.<<

My Dodge source wasn't familar with the bulletin you referred to and he says they've had no driveability reports at his dealership.

What part of the country are you in?

Regards,
    Dusty
This discussion has been closed.