Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Acura Integra LS OR 2002 Ford Mustang GT

rgrinny17rgrinny17 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Acura
2000 Acura Integra or 2002 Ford Mustang GT (Post #1)
Hi,

I am looking for a used car. I have narrowed it down to 2 cars. Both are selling for around $9,000 and have 30,000 miles on them. I am just looking for opinions on what would be the better car to buy. I am looking for a car with performance, good gas milage and reliability. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2002 Ford Mustang GT - Manual Trans
-30,000 miles, it has a Salvage Title, but I went and checked it out and the guy was fixing the drivers side door and front bumper. Other than that it was in good shape.

2000 Acura Integra LS - Manual Trans

-33,000 miles. Clean title. It has some mods that the guy said bring the horsepower up to around 200. The only thing it needs is a new O2 sensor

Report Post | IP: Logged

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    which do you prefer - brute-force straight-line acceleration, or a road course car? The answer to that question will tell you which one to buy.

I would personally watch out for salvage titles, and modded Integras both. But as long as you know your way around underhood, you will probably be OK.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Get the Acura...

Salvage title? Stay far away... Unless you plan on driving it for ten years...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I should say. Follow kyfdx's advice on salvage, with one caveat: if this is a project car, and you're going to mod it heavily yourself, go with what makes for the better project.

If it's a pedestrian daily driver, and these are the only two choices, I'd flop toward the Integra. But someone else's mods aren't a price booster, unless they were professionally done. Heck, even then...
  • 90gs90gs Member Posts: 107
    Well, if you read the forum regarding Acura Integra (All years/models) you'd know that the 2000 Integra will get stolen in a heart beat. However, that car is really popular and will definately keep its value (if it doesn't get stolen that is! ;) ). Stay far away from the salvaged mustang it less you can get it for at least half of the normal bluebook (kbb.com). Not to mention a salvaged mustang may have a lot of little problems even after repair b/c American cars in general are already built with faulty designs.

For $9,000 I'd say check out the last generation of RX7's (93-98) you could probably find a pretty nice one for almost 10, or a 99 2D Accord would probably be cheaper and you could modify it (get the V6). And nippononly is right, figure out what you want first. :shades:
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    The only "mods" that will bring an Integra LS up to 200 hp are superchargers, turbochargers, or a new engine. If he has done anything to the engine internally, I wouldn't touch it. If he put on an intake and a fart can exhaust, no harm done if that is your style.

As for the Mustang, you usually can't get a normal bank loan on a salvage title and some companies won't insure them.
This discussion has been closed.