Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Sentra vs Honda Civic

1235»

Comments

• Options
    big_ricebig_rice Member Posts: 3
    Please do me a favor - I need to buy a 2nd hand car -- thank you.

1998 Honda Civic --- $4300
    110,000 miles. Snow alloy tires. Auto transmission
    Cons: 2 doors

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE - $6000
    70,000 miles. Regular tires. Auto transmission
    Cons: cosmetic dent

I am a student here and I plan to use it for 2 years.

Thanks so much for your help.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The better deal is unabled to be determined, based upon the limited information you provided. You would need a qualified mechanic to check them over. One bad problem with either of the vehicles (like an engine or transmission problem).....or a couple smaller problems (like new CV joints, brakes, tires, shocks, waterpump/cooling) could total thousands of dollars to repair.

One of the vehicles that appears initially to be a better deal, could in the end be a money pit. If you are seriously interested in either of those vehicles, you have to pay to have an independent mechanic inspect it BEFORE you buy it.

Used car purchases are as-is, you buy them, you own them, problems and all. The forums are splattered with many buyers who fail to check out the vehicles, and are stuck with major problems after the fact.
  • Options
    kiawah, much appreciate your valuable advice. I will hae an independent mechanic check the car.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    And if the owner balk's at the idea that some mechanic was going to look at it.....run, don't walk from the deal.

Also, even after a mechanic looks at it, there is no guarantee that the vehicle won't have some problems (undoubtedly there will be). A mechanic can observe some of the obvious issues. There may be hidden issues that only show up under certain operating conditions (like won't start if it is really hot out, or air conditioner doesn't work so well when it's really hot out, or if it's really really cold the starter hangs). So make sure you have some additional money set aside for that situation. If a problem doesn't pop up, great. If it does, you're prepared to handle it (hopefully).
  • Options
    The owner baled at the mechanic checks and refused to pay for any repair cost, and then I ran..
    I appreciate all you nice advices, kiawah.
    Best regards!
    Rice
This discussion has been closed.