Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    lol. mm no . just the mud and salt and crap from the drag that is created by the fairly flat back end and yes I get the road spay from the front tires too but they funnily enough do not effect my view out the windows guess I am lucky I do not have to look through the metal in the door panel to drive ;) PS it is also a courtesy to the cars following too lol
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I'm trying to install my homelink mirror today. I found the blue/red wire fine...my issue is the green/black wire. The only green wire with a black stripe is much larger than the blue wire the a red stripe. So large in fact that the included splicer won't fit around it. Is the Green wire with a black stripe that you use much larger than the blue/red wire? Did you use the included tool? I don't mind cutting off some casing and soldering the cables together...just want to make sure it's the correct wire.
  • cooppoopcooppoop Member Posts: 26
    I don't remember having a problem fitting the splice around either wire, I also did not get any type of "tool" with the install kit. I just used a pair of pliers to make sure the splice was snug.

I did have one problem with the wire colors. I can't remember which set but there were two VERY similar - green/black versus black/green. I ended up splicing the wrong one, but was able to take off the splice, tape it up and then spliced the other wire which is correct.

Good luck!
    I am thinking of getting this homlink mirror. is it a large mirror i love my convex one that covers my blink spot but hate digging for my remote to open the gate. where did you get it from? how much does it cost? is everything behind the black box behind the mirror or do i have to run wires from somewhere? do you have any pictures?

could i ask any more questions lol
  • cooppoopcooppoop Member Posts: 26
    i bought mine from medport mazda <, they seemed to have the best deal. Search the thread for the directions before you buy. Somebody was nice enough to post them, that way you know what your getting yourself into. You'll need to buy the mirror and the install kit (it has the harness, splices and other stuff you need to hide the wires). Basically, you'll run the wires into your headliner to the passenger side pillar and into the fuse box. Not a hard install but the a pillar is a pain in the a%$ to get back on.

Now I have a question for you, what is a "blink spot" an what black box behind the mirror are you talking about?
    lol I maybe should read my messages before I click send lol my blind spots. and the black box in my car contains the rain sensor and external temp sensor and stuff it is attached to the glass about 4"X4" ish.
  • jonat1xjonat1x Member Posts: 34
    My salesman - Jim Hill, at Smith-Cairns in Yonkers, NY (I have nothing but good things to say about the dealer and the individual) - told me that something like 80% of the dealership staff opt for the extended warranty, and this was enough to persuade me to shell out my $534.
    what does the extended warranty cover? is it a Mazda warranty or a 3rd party one? How many more months and km / miles does it give you?
    It's a Mazda warranty, extending the standard bumper-tp-bumper 36 months or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first, warranty to 60 months or 60,000 miles.
    I don't think that mud flaps would help - though haven't encountered the problem that you seem to be experiencing. Have you considered a spoiler extension such as you will find at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-5-PREMACY-VIP-STYLE-TOURING-PACKAGE-SPOILER- -WINGS_W0QQitemZ350055144716QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350055144716&
    unfortunately that would create more drag and cause more water to be sucked up on the back of the window.
  • west_exchangewest_exchange Member Posts: 11
    I just bought Mazda 5 and I hate that the center console doesn't have the lid (cover). Every car I ever owned had one. What's up with open console? I can't keep cds or money in there now!
    Does anyone have any ideas how to improve it? I've googled and googled and nothing. The only thing I can think of is to saw "a hat" for the console. Is there a box (liner) with hinged cover that can fit inside of the open console?
    Anyone bothered with this or having any ideas? Thanks!
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Yeah, my 2006 has it but my 2008 doesn't. It seems that Mazda got rid of it to give way to the passenger's seat armrest, It also got rid of some other things like the 2nd row cupholder (I think due to the 2nd row A/C). However, I still keep CD cases and some other stuff on the 2008's "bin" but I have no need to keep money, just few coins from time to time. Now, if money is needs for the tolls, I recommend EZ-Pass, that saves time and money :)
    it is funny not sure why they did not just raise the old top and make it full size so both the passenger and driver could use it then you would have a larger bin a cover and big armrest. did they not put a cupholder in the door now for the second row?

not sure what the size of the center bin but i am sure you can find one to fit and just screw a lid to the top of one. or maybe just put a $20 on the dash so they will not notice the stuff in the bin lol :P .

it is funny that the people in the know who recommend changes are rarely in the know lol
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think the idea of the front armrests vs a large front row centerconsole was to make it more open. Some of these CUVs with big center consoles can feel cramped. Also, it makes it easier for a front passenger to reach to the back or go to the back if necessary. Sort of like the Honda CRV or Odyssey. Whether or not it works with the Mazda 5 is another story.

Personally, I'd rather have the arm rests and the open storage in the center. Center console-type armrests are always too low to be of much use, plus you can't get too much elbow on them anyway if you pull the seat too far forward. Plus I like the open storage because it's easier to get stuff.
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    since you got my complainer juices flowing, why are the bins in the front door panels so short fore/aft that you can't put maps in them? why are the inside front door pulls so slippery that you can't reliably hang onto them on a windy day? and where can I put the dog-hair lint roller so that its handle won't poke me in the wrist as I shift gears?? Why can't the rear sliding doors interior handles be made more resistant to inadvertent opening by tall drivers who are only trying to reach into their front pants pockets but end up accidentally opening the rear door while under way? Mazda interior designers -- please spend more time in the field! (my complaints apply to our 2006 and I assume 2007 -- maybe not 2008)
    It seemed that the most people complained about arm rests and now they put them in. But I have a manual shift (which is positioned under the radio and sort of feels cramped) and the arm rest interfears with me shifting or grabbing emergency break. Funny how different people have different ideas about what's comfortable. I love having center console as arm rest.
    Overall I'm not very pleased with my purchase. Between the lack of safety for my daughter (3 star rating), high chemical toxicity levels, weird interior setup and dangers of not being able to pull my daughter out of the car after side impact (one of the European safety agencies mentioned in the article difficulty opening sliding door if the car is wrecked) I'm dealing with buyers remorse.
    Is it 2011 yet? I can't wait to trade it in!!!
  • andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    With a purchase as important as purchasing a car, you should have researched thoroughly and test drove as many cars as possible. It's tiresome reading about all the whining about the 'sins' of the car when it's your decision to purchase it in the first place. Now that you have the car, it's easier for you to look at the positives and enjoy the car rather than whining about it's faults.

It's too long a wait for 2011 if you don't enjoy the car!!!
    I agree...a five minute test drive would have brought up most of the "issues" of the previous poster.
    Really???? So negative car reviews shouldn't exist in your world???? Only positive? We should all love our cars just because we bought them. Interesting. Then this forum would just be littered with "oh's and uh's and ah's".
    My bad.
    Under that logic nobody should complain about a bad marriage and get a divorce - because golly you chose your husband/wife, right? You need to grin and bear it. And enjoy it now that you're married.
    Ha! You make me laugh.
    If you get married after knowing him/her for only a week, then don't complain after the fact for being stupid :P
  • andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    It's because you are the biggest whiner in this forum. If you don't like your car then by all means sell it or trade it in. Most members in this Forum love their Mazda5 and it's tiresome reading all this whining.

I'm sorry but I don't think you'll get the Sympathy you desperately need in this Forum. :P
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    ...and wait until west_exchange finds out the pre-owned resale value of a Mazda5 nowadays, that will go beyond any comfort, crash rate and toxicity complaints :D
  • 01le01le Member Posts: 18
    What did I miss here. What is the high chemical toxicity all about. I searched this forum for an explanation or details of toxic chemicals, but I dont see any information. Besides all the usuall toxic chemicals that every vehicle has (i.e. gasoline, motor oil, trans. fluid etc.). What toxic chemical does the Mazda5 have that is being complained about here?
    Thank you, I checked it out. Very interesting and all. But after reading the link provided in post# 7 I found that other vehicle manufacturers have many models that are more popular (I see many more on the road, i.e. Subaru Forester, Scion xb, Chevy Aveo) than the Mazda5 that scored much worse. It appears to me that of all the models from various manufacturers, the Mazda5 is middle field as far as the toxicity level tests show. I wonder too, if all the vehicles were tested in the same ambient weather conditions. Since a hotter day would have higher toxic readings. Well, I guess we wont ever know how fair the tests really are. Sorry for kicking the "dead horse" here, but I am new to this forum.
    I just need to comment regarding the 3 star rating for children. it is NOT because the child would get hurt it is because the ISOFIX connectors are not labelled and on the model tested did not have deactivation switch in the front passenger seat for the airbag. If there had been any contact at all with the child it would have said. I just wanted to make this clear.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Has anyone found any cool new accessories for their Mazda5?
    The best accessory i have found for the car is me behind the drivers seat lol.

I hope that one day we can get the stuff other countries can get as accessories.
  • prosendprosend Member Posts: 7
    FWIW I like the open console between the armrests. I can put my purse in the space. I had a different one on my Passatt. The locking clip broke and it jangled all of the time. VW wanted over $300 for a new centerpeice which was the only way to fix it.

I do think the door pockets are a little small. I can't fit an umbrella in them. It falls out every time I open the door. ;)
    I think a shark fin antenna would look great on a Mazda5 to replace the factory antenna. So I googled it and I found that they run about $68 - $72 on a few websites. I want one that works as a real antenna, not just a $2 foam replica. Has anyone seen a better deal than $68- $72. Imagine the look of it on your M5.....sweeeeeet. :shades:
  • edikedik Member Posts: 8
    Looks good ..is't it? It is metal, not plastic.
    The problem is this car is on Moscow streets. Do we have something like this in N.America?
  • wardwwardw Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 Mazda5, and did not like the long, whippy antenna that comes standard. I asked my service guy if the shorter antenna (I think on the CX-7) would work on my car and he said it would. He just took the shorter one off a car on the lot and switched it with mine....no charge. It's not the short shark fin type, but I do think it looks better.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    I like that service!
    Mazda Japan sells one like that but it says Premacy and it's over $150. How much would you pay?
  • edikedik Member Posts: 8
    If it would say "Mazda5" then no more than a $100, but with Premacy logo - $150 sounds like a good deal. ;)
    I've probably missed some of the logic of this dialogue... is the question, that you are a North American, and you know about the gray plastic bumper step you can buy from Mazda America, and you don't like how it looks? If that's the question, I'm no help, sorry. But I could mention, I do have a USA-model 2006 5, charcoal gray in color (a little darker than the 2007 model gray), and I do have the acccessory gray plastic bumper step cover. On our car, the color difference with the paint is so subtle that you hardly notice the step cover is there (which I like just fine). I installed it myself when the car was new and it was very easy. I don't remember what it cost but I am pretty sure it was reasonable, something like $50-100. Now, 2.5 years later, it looks just fine to my eye, and yes I have stepped on it a fair number of times, to access the cargo box we sometimes use. Hope that helps? (or at least is mildly interesting to you??)
    Should the manufacturing cost be different for the two?

Based on your answer, I could see why Mazda USA doesn't sell the stainless Mazda5 piece.
  • randyukrandyuk Member Posts: 3
    Hi:

Does anybody know how to add speakers to the Rear-Sliding-Doors??

Got a Mazda5 here in UK and when we go on holiday with the children as the Boot (Trunk) is so full cannot hear the speakers.

Any ideas???

Thanks.
    I think you will have trouble wiring whatever speakers you can fit in the door.
    There are wires that go into the doors, to operate the window motors and door lock actuators. Conceivably you could figure out how to route one additional wire through each of the plastic-covered umbilicals that carry the standard wires into the doors but it sounds to me like it would be extremely difficult to accomplish a neat job. Cheaper and quicker to purchase each child their own i-Pod. Another challenge possibly hard to visualize, is the nearly flush surface clearance that would be necessary for the speaker grilles, to avoid scraping the speakers across the exterior paint as the doors are opened. I advise caution!
    Does anyone have any experience of the shark fin antenna sold for the Mazda5 by Virtual Garage - http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Overview.html?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • rpappalardorpappalardo Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase a front end bra for my Mazda5 Grand Touring? The dealer can not get any in as of the present time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    If you Google 'Mazda accessories' you'll find a number of Mazda dealers who sell over the Internet. Also try jcwhitney.com for other brands. Since you can't use a fabric bra continuously, else dirt will get under it and abrade the finish, I bought a magnetic bra for mine and it is a super fit and looks great - the product is described at magentbra.com but you'll have to search at Ebay to actually buy it.

Jonathan
    If you're thinking about a shark fin antenna, I saw on another board that RPM is putting together a deal where you can get 20% off with free shipping, provided you're prepared to wait for them to assemble a group buy.

The post is at http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=119551.0 but if that link doesn't work I have cut and pasted the text below. Particularly note the coupon code SHARKFINGB to get in on this deal.

Jonathan

More details:

Author Topic: GB: Shark Fin Antenna by Visual Garage (functional)

Date Registered: December 06, 2004, 11:15:19 AM

GB: Shark Fin Antenna by Visual Garage (functional)
    « on: August 04, 2008, 04:44:42 PM » Quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RPM is proud to bring you yet another group buy for the Shark Fin Antenna from Visual Garage.

This is a fully functional and very stylish shark fin antenna that comes pre-painted to match your car. Hundreds of customers have already purchased this antenna and have been very pleased.

Utilizing fractal antenna technology, VG was able to develop a functional antenna that fits inside the shark fin and retains radio reception within normally acceptable ranges. A fractal antenna is created using fractal geometry (repetition of a simple shape to form a repeating pattern) and has reception that rivals antenna designs 50% to 150% larger in size. Through testing, they have found that the VG Shark Fin Antenna performed consistently better than any stubby antenna fitted on the same car.

A custom die-cut 3M double-sided adhesive gasket is designed to secure the VG Shark Fin Antenna in place, overtop of the antenna base. This 3M adhesive is used because of its bonding strength to the car and its nature of being removable without damaging the paint. Also it has good weatherability and is insensitive to contamination.

The VG Shark Fin Antenna is made of sturdy and high quality ABS plastic by injection molding process. Each VG Shark Fin Antenna is painted and clear coated to color match the OEM color code of your car. VG has reputable body shops working with them, so you can be assured that you are receiving a high quality paint job!

GROUP BUY PRICING

Our original shark fin group buys always used a stepped pricing model, but last time, we offered a single low price and it worked out very well, so we're trying it again! A price this low was previously only offered when we received more than 50 orders!

VG's MSRP --> $81.00
    RPM's Retail Price --> $79.95

Group Buy Price --> $64.80 (20% off MSRP!)

This price includes USPS Priority Mail shipping within the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii). Shipping to Canada will be an additional US$5.00, but they will be shipped via Canada Post from British Columbia, so as to avoid customs fees. Canadian orders should use the shipping quote code: C35X

This group buy will accept orders until August 26, 2008. All orders will be sent to Visual Garage at that time. Once submitted, they will be made and custom-painted and will take approximately 4-5 weeks to ship. If you take part in this group buy, you should not expect to receive your antenna until late September, 2008! Yes, I know that's a long time. You can pay full price if you want your order to be processed right away. Normal orders are currently taking about 4-5 weeks from the time the order is placed, or less than a week if the "Rush Order" fee is paid.

HOW TO ORDER

You may order directly from our website via the link below. Do NOT choose the "Rush Order" option if you are participating in the group buy. When checking out, use the coupon code "SHARKFINGB" in order to be included in the group buy. If you do not redeem this coupon code, your order will be processed normally at full price. Canadian orders should use the shipping quote code: C35X

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=294
    Your dealer should be able to get them in a couple weeks.
  • prosendprosend Member Posts: 7
    I am curious as to how you would replace the antenna assembly. I was at the dealer waitingon an oil change and looked at the Mazda 6 with the Sharck fin antenna. I could not figure out how you would replae the Mazda5 antenna with the sharkfin. Do you have to take to roof liner off and unscrew something?
    The work is all external. The instructions are at http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Installation.html
    I bought cargo cover for my Mazda 5 from mazdastuff and it's awesome! Worth every penny so I can cover what I have in the trunk.
    The net however was poorly designed. It has plastic hooks that can easily break overtime. I already broke one of 6 hooks on it even if I were careful. Why make it so cheap???? Also, I wish Mazda put the metal hooks on the back wall, so that the net can be attached to prevent cargo from rolling out of the car when the back seats are down and the trunk door is opened. Most mini vans have that configuration. This way, the only time the net is usable at all is when all 6 seats are up. Poor design especially since trunk doesn't have the "lip" to prevent cargo from falling out of the car (watermellon comes to mind) when the trunk door is open. Also what's up with the space between second row seats? The cargo from the trunk regularly roles out of the trunk forward unless I put piece of carboard to block it off. Anyone found a good solution for that? I'd appreciate ideas!