Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners: Problems & Solutions

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Share Mazda5 problems and solutions with other owners here!

Comments

• isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    Have some issues with my 5 right now. Wonder how others fare with theirs.

1. Power steering whine
    According to Mazda 3 TSB caused by trapped air in power steering fluid.
    Recommended repair is to bleed it.

2. Noise going over speed bumps
    A Mazda 3 TSB describes the noise being caused by the a protrusion of the
    wheel well hose cover on the right rear wheel hitting the tire when loaded.
    Mine is not the case.

3. A/C not too impressive
    No big deal. Not a fan of A/C but the first time I tried my daughter at the
    back complained that it was still hot. I had the setting set to the lowest.
    Driver and front seat passenger can benefit from the cool air coming out but
    that's it. Just cool air. Not cold.

4. Engine shaking on starting
    When I turn on the ignition it feels like there's way too much shaking of the
    engine which is transmitted into the cabin as it cranks up. I tried a demo at
    the dealer and it didn't shake that much. Wonder what it could be.

5. Grinding noise at stops
    There's a Mazda 3 TSB for this describing the cause to be burrs on the brake
    pads. Recommended was to file the pad to remove the burrs.

6. I have also noticed that when shifting from Park/Drive to Reverse it'll
    always be followed by a 1-2 second "zzzzzt" sound. You'll have to open the
    windows to hear it.

I'd be interested to know hwo the others fare. I already know Perfecto's 5 is "flawless" so he wouldn't be of much help here :)
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    I was trying to reproduce some of your stuff last night, including the speed bumps, and didn't hear anything at all... Sorry! :-)
  • kaiankaian Member Posts: 36
    I haven't had any of those problems either.
    I will, however, say that I agree that the air conditioning is not as "cold" as I would like.
  • momstoymomstoy Member Posts: 30
    yup - A/C is fine for the driver and front passenger - but the back doesn't seem to get cool - especially with the 90+ degree days we've been having recently.

To add - I know that this happens on my other car also - but I feel the car loses some power when the a/c is on - especially when driving up hill or accelerating onto the highway so now I usually just hit the a/c off when in the situation then flip it back on again when I've passed that section.

Personal peeve - black carpets show every bit of dirt/sand from the kids - may actually buy some clear plastic from the craft store to use as mats.
  • mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    Yes the interior color should be tan or something else so it won't retain heat. they also should have made the front passenger seat have an arm rest and the two in the second row could have had an arm rest on both sides. The rear windows should all have been tinted this might help with hot weather.

Also I have noticed that you can close the sliding doors, but they are not really closed tight.
    Other than that I have no real problems.
  • isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    >but they are not really closed tight.
    Please explain.

Just want to mention re the A/C issue. There is a 2004 Mazda 3 TSB for that. I don't know whether ours is applicable here (maybe this is as cold as it can get) or not but here's the link to all the TSBs: http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins_index.html
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    Touring automatic with nav. Drove it for 200 miles yesterday and as with perfectofc, it's flawless. But I only have 230 miles on it so it maybe too early to say that.
  • ocmazda5ocmazda5 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Mazda5 for several weeks now. With the heat wave we've been having in Southern California lately, I've come up with a couple tricks that has helped cool down the 3rd row a little more effectively.

1) set the fan to forward (not feet) and aim the 4 dashboard vents towards the roof, that seems to "deflect" the air to the back more quickly.

2)Close the the left/right side vents completely, this creates more force down the middle through the two denter vents.

Let me know if this helps! :shades:
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Does the Mazda5 offer any Options:

1) to get tinted rear windows
    2) an interior color other than black.

If not, any idea if Mazda will offer these in the near future. Thanks!
  • mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    The sliding door on the driver side was closed on a hill. When I hit a bump it rattled just a bit.
    I pulled over opened the door and closed it again it. rattle gone. It was closed enough to turn out the light and give no indication on the dash but it was not fully closed.

Just for info I have 1010 Miles on it now and still getting 27.5 MPG mixed driving. :D
    ocmazda5 - Thanks! I was just wondering about vent directions and you've answered my question - I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • seamus53seamus53 Member Posts: 13
    yrm - Currently, factory tinted windows (2nd & 3rd row side & rear hatch privacy glass) is not available. I was told this is because Mazda chose to classify the "5" as a "car' and that, in USA and Canada, a "car" can't have the dark factory tinted windows. If this info is correct, this was a real oversight on Mazda's part. I do not know of anothervehicle with 3 rows of seats that doesn't offer the factory dark tint on side passanger and rear hatch glass. vehicles like the Dodge Magnum Wagon, the PT Cruiser, Scion xb and others are certainly not true "trucks or traditional SUV's, yet they all offer available factory tint. This oversight is a disappointment on the Mazda 5 as the tint can help keep the interior a bit coller and, to me, just makes a vehicle like this look better. I know the aftermarket can provide tinting, but window film is just not as nice as actual factory tinted windows.

Currently, the dark interior is all that is available for North America. I wish there was another choice. However, the dark interior does not bother me as much as I would have thought at first. With the gray seat inserts, the gray fabric on the top of the door panels and the aluminum accents on the dash, it is not so bad after all.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    1) set the fan to forward (not feet) and aim the 4 dashboard vents towards the roof, that seems to "deflect" the air to the back more quickly.

In general, I think that it makes sense to aim A/C vents slightly upwards in a car, because the hottest air rises and tends to collect near the roof of the car. Aiming the A/C vents slightly upwards helps to circulate and cool down the hottest air that would otherwise stagnate near your head. I know that my Civic feels cooler faster if my A/C vents are aimed upwards. Not sure if this reasoning is "scientific", but it seems to work in practice.

Using the same reasoning in the opposite situation, I also seem to get the best results in winter when I aim my heating vents slightly downwards and put out heat through the vents near my feet.
    I found this in the Mazda3 threads:

Third, have you noticed the maddening climate control issues that thwart good gas mileage? For example, the air conditioner comes on when the vents are directed to the floor, the floor and defroster, and the defroster only. In other words, if you want to run the fan and not have the air conditioner come on, you have to choose the dash vents or dash and floor vents.

My 2002 Honda Civic has this same "feature", and I have to admit that it's always bothered me because I can't control when the A/C is on or off. Anyone know if the Mazda5 works this way too?
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Currently, factory tinted windows (2nd & 3rd row side & rear hatch privacy glass) is not available. I was told this is because Mazda chose to classify the "5" as a "car' and that, in USA and Canada, a "car" can't have the dark factory tinted windows. If this info is correct, this was a real oversight on Mazda's part.

I agree. This is a real disappointment. The tinted windows do a great job providing privacy along with keeping the sun rays out.

This may even prevent me from buying this vehicle. I hope Mazda reconsiders this asap.
    I don't believe Mazda has much choice in the matter.
    How expensive is it to tint the windows aftermarket? I'm considering doing this, but I don't want to do it myself because I want it to be a seamless job.

Actually, I just called a local place - to do the 2nd/3rd row sides and rear with 20% they gave me a quote of $225 plus tax.

I looked at JC whitney and you could do the peel and stick stuff for probably $50.

I'll probably search over at the 3 forum and see if people have done it themselves with good results.
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    Only safety issue is tint on the front windshield and front passenger door windows. Even there they can tint but just up to a federal spec. There is no requirement for other glass, they don't even have to have it. This is but another Mazda red herring. I bet that if Mazda starts having performance issues with the A/C then magically tinted windows will become standard.
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    When I look at the photos that I took of the Mazda 5 in the dealer's lot, it does look like all windows have a slight green tint. This is especially evident when looking at the sticker through the side window - it appears green. Furthermore, on the Mazda USA website where it lists all the specs for the M5, under the "exterior" listing is the following item:
    "Green tinted glass windshield with sunshade". During my test drive the windshield seemed very hot so perhaps the tint is not total UV blockage but I did not see a band of dark green at the top of the windshield so I am not sure how effective the tinting really is.
    Could someone who already is driving an M5 comment on the amount of tint that seems to be on the windows since it appears from the photos that the sides and back are all slightly tinted green.
  • seamus53seamus53 Member Posts: 13
    I believe all the windows have some degree of tint, as do the windows of nearly every vehicle sold these days.

The question is whether the darker tinted "privacy glass" can be added by the factory. This darker factory tint is not permitted on the windshield or front -side glass, but is permitted on the 2nd and 3rd row side windows and the rear hatch, at least on "certain" classifications of vehicles. (trucks, SUV's, vans, mini-vans). So I think whether the "factory" can provide the privacy glass tint very much depends on how a particular vehicle is classified for regulatory purposes. I am not certain exactly "who" determines this classification.......... the manufacturer? the government? I would think that a manufacturer would submit one of its vehicles under whatever classification they believed it to qualify for and would only change the classification if the government disagreed.

In the USA and Canada, I believe that "cars" (sedans, coupes) are not permitted to have factory privacy glass on rear side and hatch windows. Trucks, SUV's, vans, mini-vans, etc. are permitted to have the dark glass. Yet I see various other vehicles which straddle classification that do have factory dark tint, including the Dodge Magnum Wagons, the Scion xb, the PT Cruiser and others. So I would think Mazda did have some flexibility in how the "5" was classified. A salesman told me it was classified ss a "car" and thus could not have factory dark tint. I am not aware of any other vehicle with sliding doors and 3 rows of seating that does not offer (at least as option) the dark tinted privacy glass on rear side and hatch windows.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the "OK" to have privacy glass on the side rear seat area and behind has to do with a flat load floor. I know the PT has rear seats that flip up, but can also be removed, providing that flat load floor. Does the 5 provide a float load floor? If not, I doubt it is allowed to have the privacy glass. I bet the Magnum has rear seat backs that fold forward, providing a flat surface from the "way back" area.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Ok...well...seems that my reasoning for the lack of privacy glass on the 5 is flawed...the mazdausa website for future vehicles interactive interior views show the seats folding flat, except for the space between the 2 seats in the 2nd row....

btw, why is it still shown as a future vehicle? cause it is a MY2006?
    btw, why is it still shown as a future vehicle?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they decided not to officially "launch" the Mazda5 until August?
  • pagetunerpagetuner Member Posts: 41
    http://www.doityourselftint.com/

This is the first place I have found that has the precut film sets for do-it-yourself tinting for the Mazda 5. $90 for the complete set including tools.

pagetuner
    ( http://pagetuner.com/mazda5 )
    I called the dealer to see if they would do the tinting there - they do not - but they had someone that they out source to - got a quote of $185 - thinking about doing it next week.

I did think about http://www.doityourselftint.com/ but I was considering the time and the possibility that I'd mess it up - it would cost me more $$ to fix it! For $185 for 3M lifetime warrantied professionally installed tint - I'm thinking that it might be a good investment.
  • jc9799jc9799 Member Posts: 70
    Interesting thoughts on why the 5 can or cannot be tinted. If I'm not mistaken, the PT Cruiser is classified as a light truck. This was supposed to help Chrysler's average EPA ratings for their trucks, including pickups, SUV's, and minivans. Is the 5 classified as a car? I know Mazda seems to be avoiding calling the 5 a minivan. If it is classified as a car, perhaps that explains the lack of privacy glass. Or is it possible that Mazda is just trying to keep cost down as much as it can for this miniva..., er, car? ;)
    The same standard is applied to cars and trucks. There is no difference. Mazda can tint if they want. Abstract below. URL for complete spec below that. Enough said?

Standard No. 205 - Glazing Materials - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Motorcycles, Slide-In Campers, and Pickup Covers [designed to carry persons while in motion] (Effective 1-1-68)
    This standard specifies requirements for glazing materials for use in motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment for the purpose of reducing injuries resulting from impact to glazing surfaces. The purpose of this standard is to ensure a necessary degree of transparency in motor vehicle windows for driver visibility, and to minimize the possibility of occupants being thrown through the vehicle windows in collisions.

Complete spec:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=49&PART=571&SECTION=205&YEAR=200- 1&TYPE=TEXT
  • ajpendoajpendo Member Posts: 19
    I am interested in adding a roof rack (I note may of the mazda photographs and online images feature this option). I was wondering if anyone had information on availability, future availability, price etc. Thanks
  • robyneilrobyneil Member Posts: 26
    I've been asking the same question. frank4cars has an explanation about the short supply of accessories this July in the "Mazda5 Owners: Accessories & Modifications" forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef90f53!make=Mazda&model=MAZDA5&ed_makeindex- =.ef90f53

We needed the extra cargo space in a pinch as well. You never know what you may need to carry with you on a trip. I've asked dealers about roof racks but they only said that they should arrive soon. When? They don't know.
    I thought that it was the state regulations that were the problem. Different states have different tinting restrictions for cars. So, if Mazda wants to make the Mazda5 available in all 50 states, it has to follow the strictest state's tinting restriction. Otherwise, some Mazda5's could be sold in that state while others could not...causing more complexity in the inventory system. I'm not sure what the "strictest state's restictions" are for cars, or which state this would be, so for all I know the restriction might be "no tinting" in one or more of the US states. Anyone have any more info on this?
    Exceptions: California and some northeast states who adopted CA specs on emissions. Even then, they had to go to court to enforce the new spec. I had heard that CA had a noise spec but I couldn't find it. It may relate to after market equipment.

If a state tried to have their own manufacturing spec the car companies would try to kill it. The last thing they want is a bunch of conflicting specifications.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    The cars may be built to federal spec, but most (if not all) states have their own specs on window tint, mostly to restrict tint done after the sale.
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I've been driving my M5 for more than a week now in hot and humid Louisiana and I noticed that the thing that seems to make the A/C weak is the BIG dashboard that stores a lot of heat when parked under the sun. When I start to go to work in the morning the A/C is strong because the car is parked in the garage the whole night and the dashboard is cool but when I go home from work in the afternoon, it takes a long time for the car's dashboard to cool down from the days baking and it's like I am running both an A/C and a heater at the same time on my way home. I can feel both the heat emanating from the dashboard and the cool air coming from the A/C while driving.
  • achipsterachipster Member Posts: 2
    I looked into this and saw that Thule has 2 roof racks for this vehicle. I don't know about Yakima and other aftermarket makers, but it does not look like a problem.
    Momstoy: You are probably wise to have the tinting done professionally, but here's how mine turned out, done in my driveway using tint film from Autozone.

http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/windowtint.html
    "Is the 5 classified as a car?"

My NJ registration and title call it a station wagon.

pagetuner ( http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/ )
    achipster, Thule USA web site still do not support the Mazda 5 though it's now listed where it wasn't 2 weeks ago. I did see Thule cross bars offered in the Japanese Mazda Premacy tuning site and Mazda 5 UK site:

http://www.w-tune.com
    http://www.mazda.co.uk/buy/accessories/Accessories_Lifestyle.pdf

and has part Thule #EHOR in Japan and no part# yet for the UK Mazda 5, but I can't seem to find the equivalent cross bars in the Thule web site. The closest to it is the Thule 4304 speciality foot pack but does not have any foot fittings for the Mazda 5 yet, and looks a little bit off where the bars extend beyond the rack where the Mazda/Thule cross bars doesn't:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=3&sku=4304

If you can give me any leads on where to get the UK Mazda lifestyle accessory roof rack or the Japanese Mazda/Thule #EHOR roof rack for the Mazda 5, I'd really appreciate it and be willing to be the first to test it out for everyone. It'd be more economical to get them since you don't need to buy the Mazda factory roof racks first, then buy Thule or Yakima cross bars on top of it. Just buying these speciality foot pack cross bars alone should save us Mazda 5 owners a lot of money.
    Looks great!!!

I'm not too confident I can do it myself so I'll probably go with a professional tinter. Now, I only need to convince my wife (her Mazda 5). Your article should help and hopefully I'll get to post pictures as well for you to compare. Thanks.
    http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State%20Law%20Chart.htm

I suspect they all apply to aftermarket window tint and not to manufacturers.

Something to watch out for? You know all the purple, faded bubbled window tint you see? I bet it looked great when they first did it. I've been told that there is a big difference in the material. Don't know how to tell good from bad. Obviously there are only a few manufacturers of the the stuff and many that sell it. I have also seen really good applicators use heat guns to soften and apply tint to compound curves like the Mazda5 hatch window with good long term success. One suggestion about finding good guys: go to the make ready department and ask a manager about who does their tint (for another car of course). Dealers try to use good applicators because they don't want to see them come back with complaints. These guys are also cheap and rarely show up in shiny 25K$ custom vans.
    pagetuner - nice pics! I have an appointment for tomorrow AM at the shop - I'm really excited (I'm such a dork)

ccweems - the shop says that they use 3M tint film - lifetime guaranteed never to fade or bubble, etc., etc.

I'll post pics probably on Friday.
  • rrratinarrratina Member Posts: 27
    What color is your car? I like your tint and plan on getting mine done! Thx for info.
    The car at http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/ is a carbon grey 5-speed sport, with the following extensive list of options: wheel locks. I'm really happy with the car so far. It makes the family Maxima feel like a motorhome, although the Maxima (also a 5speed) is geared better for when 80 is what everybody's doing on the Thruway.
  • msljmslj Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if there is an update to the DVD Nav disc available? It's woefully out of date, and I submit as evidence that when I search for "Restaurants" near work it comes up with a Chili's that closed about 2 years ago.
    Finally have some pics to post of the tinted windows. rrratina - we have a phantom blue/touring/NAV

www.cardomain.com/ride/2073847
  • rrratinarrratina Member Posts: 27
    Hey Momstoy-
    Great pics! Did you get your dvd system done profossionally or do it yourself?
    Like your tint also!
    rrratina -
    The dvd system is just a portable one that I got from Walmart for ~ $230 - I'm trying to figure out a way to integrate it a little better - the actual player will fit on the back shelf in the glove compartment and it does come with a remote. One thing that is nice with the dual screen system is that if we have extra kids with us I can move one of the screens to the back row.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Concerning the Nav system....There are a couple things you can check...

you can check with mazda @ 800-222-5500

or you can go to www.navteq.com
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    IThe driver's side sliding door rattles over bumps. It's right in my ear, and I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for the door. If not, what sorts of things should I check. I do know the door is latched closed properly. I don't hear any noise from the other sliding door.
    It's not normal behavior...neither of my sliding doors make any noise over bumps.
    Not sure what you could check, sorry I can't be more help!
This discussion has been closed.