Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    I just noticed that my coolant level in the reservoir is in "L". It's my fourth month of ownership (minus one month in the recall) with 3400kms. Is this normal?
  • mactavish1mactavish1 Member Posts: 19
    I had the same stalling experience at a junction, only once so far but it was a bit scary.

I reported it to my dealer but they didn't pay much attention.
  • meg02meg02 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Barrie Ontario. We just got 20 cm of snow and 15 more are forecast. Any advice on which snowtires to put on? I think that I'll buy four snow tires and rims to give me some added height (versus the factory low profile tires). Looking for what others have done about snow tires.
  • wannahavmy5wannahavmy5 Member Posts: 8
    Hi.

4 winter tires (from local Walmart) P205/55R16 + 4 steel wheels (from local merchant) = 650$ tx incl.
    Tried them in Montreal area yesterday, work very well on snow, and very acceptable on ice.
  • afticaaftica Member Posts: 14
    Your options are somewhat limited in tire height. If you want to increase the ground clearance you will throw off the accuracy of your speedometer. Currently your minimum rim size which will work is 16", any smaller and it won't clear the calipers. I would recommend purchasing the rims available from your Mazda dealer, they will have the correct rim offset and the centre of the rim will fit precisely over the axle end vs the Walmart rims which are designed to fit more than just Mazdas. As for tire size your options would be 205/55/16 or 195/60/16, the first size is easier to find availability. I live in Sudbury and purchased some Hakelipita RSIs which come highly recommended. They are more pricey than the discount brands but you get what you pay for. You live in the snowbelt and need a good tire, the technology and rubber compound that go into a name brand tire, Nokian, Yoko, Bridgestone etc are far superior to discount brands. You will see better performance and longer tread life from a name brand tire, offsetting the initial bargain of a discount tire. Check with your local Mazda dealer, they will have a package they can get you into. Expect to pay $60/rim and between $130 - $200 for a decent tire. I have driven through Barrie a number of times in the winter and can certainly attest to the volume of snow which can accumulate quickly. This is why I would recommend spending a few extra dollars and getting a higher end package.
  • thisisamericathisisamerica Member Posts: 25
    it's great u got the $500 recall check already. Are u in Canada or us?
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Got the check as well this past Wednesday, accompanied by a letter. This is for a US based M5 (Northeast). This goes as a car payment ;)
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    We received our check on Friday (Eastern Seaboard).Thanks Mazda!
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Good information on the snow tires - that set up is exactly what I want to do with our 5 for this New England winter: 4 Nokian RSI's on 16" steel rims, (or inexpensive allow wheels). I'd like to avoid the high cost that my Mazda dealer wants for their 16" steel rims, (or alloys which they quoted me $465 each!), but I'm afraid that if I get non-Mazda rims/wheels, the tire air pressure valve stems won't fit on them and then I'll have to look at the illuminated tire pressure idiot light in the dashboard for the next six months while the snows are on the vehicle. Has anyone bought and installed 16" non-Mazda aftermarket steel rims or alloy wheels with their snow tires, and if so, have the valve stems fit? If yes, then hopefully you'll be gracious enough to share the info with the rest of us about the brand and approximate cost for the rims, (or wheels) so we can all avoid having to pay the stealership their exorbitant prices. Thanks much!
  • brucewayne00brucewayne00 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to replace the Toyo Proxes on my Mazda 5. Yesterday my wife blew out two tires on a pothole. Does anyone know if there is a road hazard warrantee on these tires from the dealership? Also, if I were to buy new tires, I would prefer to put 215/50/17 on the car instead of 205/50/17 just to give the rim a little more protection. Would this pose a problem for fender clearance and limit the amount of weight I can put in it? I was told to go with Michellin all seasons. I live in NYC and I want a good all around tire for the price.
    Any help would be great. Thanks! :sick:
  • doral3rddoral3rd Member Posts: 2
    Had my 5 for just over a week now over 1300K on clock allready, this car is absolutly out of this world. :shades: I have had a few diffeerant makes over the years but this one beats the lot put together. :shades: To say the least i am very happy with my 5. :D
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    I think so. When we bought our this past weekend, the sales person made a point to tell us that the tires were warrantied by Toyo instead of Mazda.

The tire warranty paper should be in the little book with the owners manual.
  • stefxstefx Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of my 5 this week.Snowflake Pearl White GT Trim.What a magnificent little piece machinery.I am really impressed.Just a pity that we had snow and slush on it from the moment we left the dealership and for the last 3 days.Looks kind of Carbon grey now!
  • raceymomraceymom Member Posts: 18
    I received my $500 check last Friday also. Also wanted to update on the window tinting. I got it done for $225 from a guy who came to my house. Love it - it looks so much better. Hope everyone is enjoying their 5! Happy Holidays!
  • thisisamericathisisamerica Member Posts: 25
    can't wait to share with everyone here. we got the $500 check today (Monday). best christmas gift ever
  • hifivehifive Member Posts: 72
    It seems that because I decided not to leave my car at the dealership, they went ahead and fixed all the other cars first. I called them today, and they said the parts for mine are on order. I called Mazda USA, and they said the parts were supposed to be by VIN, and that the dealership probably used the parts earmarked for my car on another one.

On a happier note, I got my check today! I guess you don't have to get it fixed to get one, it says for our "frustration".

HiFive :D
  • sf_mazdasf_mazda Member Posts: 1
    We just got our Mazda 5. Has anyone else noticed how loud the wind noise is if you drive with the rear windows down and speeds of 30 mph or higher?
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    If you open one of the front windows, or the sunroof, that will allieviate the air pressure build up caused by opening the rear windows only and lower the noise. You only need to crack the window/roof, (enough to poke a finger through), for the desired effect.
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    "Has anyone else noticed how loud the wind noise is if you drive with the rear windows down and speeds of 30 mph or higher?" Uhh, yesterday it got up to 0C/33F so I've been driving with all the windows down and haven't noticed anything from just the back windows down.

Brrrr.
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    hi everyone,

I am still waiting for my check here in New York, has everyone who is on the east coast gotten it already?
    thanks
  • drspongklongdrspongklong Member Posts: 48
    I'm from New Orleans and still waiting for my check.
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    finally got it in NY!
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    Got my $500 check last week. I was happy about that.

Today though, my 'Check engine' light came on. I thought this was pretty odd since I barely have 1000 miles on my 5 at this point. I called the dealer, and they said the most common reason for the check engine light was either that the gas cap was not securely fastened, or the tank was overfilled. Either way, I'll have to bring the car in to have them check the diagnostic code and reset the light.

While on one hand, I hope its something as simple as a loose gas cap, on the other hand, I'm incensed that Mazda would cause the car to throw a code that can ONLY be reset by the DEALER for something as trivial as that. Or the overfilling of the tank, for that matter. What is the solution to an overfilled tank? Duhhh, drive it a couple miles, maybe? If a tank is 'over-full', doesnt that just mean its going to start spilling out on the ground?

In either scenario, I dont see a reason to throw a code that requires a service visit. While it may be paid for by the dealer while the car is under warrantee, its an inconvenience for me to have to drive to the dealer and lose the use of the car while they 'diagnose' it. What happens after the car is out of warrantee? Am I going to have to pay for a service visit every time I don't screw the gas cap on tightly enough? Great way to guarantee revenue for your dealer network, Mazda!

Also, while Im on my gripe box, is anyone else hitting curbs with the rims on these things? I didn't notice (until after I took a chunk out of one) how far the rim is offset from the actual rubber. It sticks out like 1/2", guaranteeing you'll always hit the rim before the tire if you get too close to a curb with the wheel turned. Maybe its just me, but I've owned two other vehicles at the house I currently occupied, and I've never bit the curb as many times as I have in the 5.

Anyone else throw a check engine light code? How long does it take them to diagnose/reset them?
  • theduke2theduke2 Member Posts: 8
    I don't believe that you need to have the dealer "reset" the check engine light. Try removing and retightening the gas cap and it should go off after you restart the car.

This isn't unique to Mazda. Regulations for evaporative emissions have gotten really strict over the past few years and indeed the "check engine soon" light on all cars is intended to signal an open loop in the fuel system... the most common of which is a loose gas cap.
    Nope, already did that. The service department specifically told me that the cap can throw the code, and only they can reset it. I googled it and found that this is true of the Mazda 3 as well.

I dont have a problem with signaling a warning, but I don't see any reason to make something so trivial a persistent code that only the dealer can reset.

Whats next,you have to have the dealer reset your 'door ajar' light?

:confuse:
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    theduke2 was right on about why it happens.
    Our VW does the same thing. Emissions regulations.
  • pagetunerpagetuner Member Posts: 41
    I have not confirmed that it works on the Mazda 5 specifically, but in coping with a problem on another car I discovered that consumer versions of the tool to view and reset On Board Diagnostic codes are less than $70 now. Here's a link to one on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LEG2K/002-6658593-3060032?v=glance&n=553294
    Amazon. You may also find that your local autoparts franchise store offers a use-it-for-free-in-our-parking-lot tool.

For a little more money, there's a version that captures a couple days of detailed OBD data and then dumps it to your PC, so you can see a graph of your gas mileage and how far/fast your teenager drove the car last night.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    I have not hit any curbs yet because the 5 is so narrow! Everytime I park next to a curb or pull up to the gas pump (first vehicle with right hand side gas fill up in ages), I have to laugh at how far I am away!
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    If in fact it were to be a loose gas cap, turning off the car and re-installing the cap is just the start. You may need to drive the vehicle several miles and several times (turning the car on/off at destinations) before the light turns off. In fact, it may take almost the balance of the tank for the light to turn off. Again, if it's the gas cap (and the gas cap isn't defective where it allows for leaks)

A short cut is to refill the gas tank (without topping off) making sure the cap is placed correctly/tightly. Then, go home and disconnect the negative battery cable for at least a half hour. Though, be prepared to loose certain settings like your radio, clock, etc.

The light should be off when you reconnect the battery cable and turn on the car. However, if there is still an issue (whether gas or some other emission), the code will re-flash and the light will come on after several starts and/or several miles (approx. 150 miles).
    Hey, now theres some construtive information! Thanks!

I don't know what kind of people have the time to drive to the gas station, buy more gas when its not needed, filling up, making sure to put the gas cap on 'correctly'(just for the record, Im 36 years old and have owned about 15 vehicles in my lifetime. There was nothing wrong with the way the gas cap was put on. I know how to put a gas cap on), and then disconnect the battery just to reset the code. My gripe is that its a waste of time to take it to the dealer in the first place.

Why would I waste what in all likelihood would be even MORE time driving around and disconnecting batteries, if my gripe was that its a waste of time? I mean, I understand they're trying to help, but sheesh.

But yeah, I think all manufacturers have had to use OBDII diagnostics in the U.S., regardless of country of origin, so if theres a consumer device that can read/reset codes, it'll probably work on the Mazda. I'll let the group know how it goes.
    It's just at my home that I have the problem. My last two vehicles were pathfinders, and I never had a problem with them. I dont know if maybe the wheel angle is sharper with the 5 then it was in my old trucks, but I just always manage to mangle the wheel with the curb.

Im just parking a mile away from it now to 'curb' further damage, but I feel like a little old lady every time I do it. Oh well.
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    u got my vote on that one.

I wish I could just fill the gas tank once and drive for the next 100,000 miles. What a waste of time having to fill up week after week. That's approx. 52 times a year. And what about oil changes every 5,000 miles? Why can't it be every 500,000 miles?

Hey, I was only trying to help. The battery cable trick got me past a couple of state inspections without having to take it to the dealer.

Now, about the wheels and the curb...Pretend u r driving a Ferrari, not a Hummer (or Pathfinder)
  • rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    Actually, it happened to me a couple of months ago. I thought I had replaced the gas cap properly. Apparently I did not (I was never quite certain, but I did remove and replace securely). If you can stand driving around with your check engine light ON for a day or two and then refill the tank as you would normally, the problem should disappear.
  • markiimarkii Member Posts: 2
    Our check engine light is on too, 750 miles. I was going to the dealer to pick up the license plates anyway so I had them check the code and their description was P2407 FF PCM EVAP LEAK DETECTION PUMP AND CANISTER POSSIBLY DUE TO OVER FILLING THE GAS TANK GAS IS OVER ROLLING TO THE CANISTER THEN TO THE PUMP REPLACEMENT NEEDED. I quizzed her about the last fill up and she said yes it did run over as she pulled the pump nozzle from the tank. She has filled the tank of several different cars many times and never had any problems. They are going to replace the pump and canister had to order though. I suspect it would go away as suggested in earlier post but, this situation(mandatory or not) is going to be the cause of another recall I would bet.
    Point taken. I appreciate your effort. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. My anger should be directed at Mazda, not people trying to help. Fortunately, it's just a source of frustration for me, we don't have state inspections here.

For the record, I went to my local Autozone, who have an OBDII codereader, but go figure, Mazdas OBDII port must have some extra pin in it so that aftermarket readers wont work with it, because they tried two of them and they wouldnt communicate with it.

So, whenever the dealer decides to 'fit me in', I can find out whether Im capable of screwing on a gas cap correctly or not.
  • wfbwfb Member Posts: 10
    This is a fairly common problem on a lot of cars. I currently own a KIA Sedona and the light comes on quite often. It seems carbon can build up in the emissions canister an stick the valve open. It happens much more often in cooler weather. I had a Suzuki that did the some thing (once or twice). I put a bottle of injector/engine cleaner in the gas tank and continue to drive the car. Eventually, the light goes out.

If this doesn't work the dealer can reset the light. Both the Kia and the Suzuki could only be reset by the dealer so Mazda is not alone here. I believe all vehicles require the dealer only to do this. The reason is that, if there really is a problem, you could blow your warranty by not getting it fixed. If you could just keep resetting the light yourself, a real problem would continue until it cases damage to the car.
  • yzerman19yzerman19 Member Posts: 9
    We have the same passenger side sliding door problem and reported it to Mazda. They informed us that they had consulted with their tech department and had seemingly found a remedy and would be forwarding the parts to my dealership for installation. We'll see. Tough time for my wife with two screaming kids with a door that won't close. Great advertising for the Mazda 5 when you have an extension cord strapped to the door handle and side view mirror! Oh well. My wife and I both love the M5 so we're trying to remain positive that this issue with the car will be remedied. I liked the phone call from their Customer Relations department within 48 hours as well. No other problems with over 500 km on the car. Knock on wood. :blush:
  • mazda5lovermazda5lover Member Posts: 29
    :P I wanted to kee you guys posted... My windshield got hit by rock driving down 93 south towards Boston, MA

Hard to come by this NEW windshield. Sucks to have to deal with this... just wanted to share my pain... but I must say I love my Mazda5..

Have a nice day and happy holidays.

Oh Yeah.. I got my $500 check about two Fridays ago..
  • mazda5lovermazda5lover Member Posts: 29
    Extension cord? does that come standard or is it a special order item... heheee.. :D:D Sorry.. Just can't imagine it... I am happy I haven't had such problems with my 5 (yet?). :confuse:
    OK, here is a picky question but I'll give it a shot. I finally have driven my M5 enough :) to realize that although the driver's seat is adjusted to the very last lock position I still feel that 1-2 inches of extra leg room are necessary during very long rides. I'm very close to 6' tall. The last time I "modified" a seat was for a 1993 VW Rabbit and it was as easy as readjusting the reel locks but looks like this one is not as simple.

Any ideas? Am I just being picky?
  • rideyourbikerideyourbike Member Posts: 17
    I feel your pain (quite literally). I am about 6'2" and I feel that my legs are way too bent at the knee when I am in the driver's seat. I get uncomfortable on drives over an hour. Should I mention that I am only 31 years old and have no knee problems otherwise? I drove my manual shift Hyundai Elantra out to Oklahoma with my wife this past September and the only thing that bothered me during one 8 hour stint was my tailbone. We are planning to make the same trip in the Mazda5 next summer and I wonder if I will be able to drive as long without getting a stiff knee. I asked the dealer about modifying the seat to go back another inch or three, but he changed the subject real quick. I'm kind of glad we bought an automatic trans now, because I think that clutching would have proven awkward/painful after some time in the cockpit. Please update us if you find a fix, as I would be very eager to do the same in my car.
    I assumed that you've lowered the driver seat all the way down? When you lower the driver seat all the way down, it slides backwards a few extra inches.

I'm looking forward to taking a road trip with the MZ5. :)
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    I was wondering when this complaint would surface. I'm 5' 10" and when I adjust everything to fit me (seat lowered all the way) there is not much adjustment left. I made the comment to my wife that 6' and taller would be screwed. Fortunately, I have dead average proportions so everything tends to fit me spot on and I find the MZ5 quite comfortable.
    This is one of the few times being short really comes in handy. I'm only 5' 7" and my wife is 5", so we have plenty of room in the MZ5. ;)
    Good to know is not only me. My only guess is that the initial target market was Japan, plus the model is fully manufactured/assembled there (no offense anyone please, but average population height per country is quite different).

Yes, I have tried any possible adjustment (bottom seat down, bottom seat on angle, reclining back seat one more position, etc.). As per Wuster's comment, for my wife is perfect as well, no complaints there.

I can live with it but I hope there is a way of tweaking it, otherwise I will have to use the Cruise Control more often :)
  • ffunffun Member Posts: 29
    Wow, your wife is only 5"? That gave me a chuckle when I read it.

I am 6'3" and I don't have a big problem with the legroom. I haven't been on a long trip with it yet so we'll see how that works out. The only problem I have is that the gas and brake pedals are too close together and my size 12 foot can get caught on the bottom of the brake pedal when I'm going from the gas to the brake.
    Actually, she is 4' 11.5", so I round up for her.

Yup, I married an itsy bitsy blonde. But I'm no towering giant either. So it works out fine for us. :)
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I am 6'3" and I don't have a big problem with the legroom.

I'm not having legroom problems either, and I've put roughly 3500 miles on the car so far (longest trip being 5 hours at a time).

I'm 5'11" and I'm most comfortable when the seat's roughly halfway back...not really anywhere near the furthest-back position. So I guess the comfort problems reported here have more to do with "leg length" than overall height...either that or it's just different notions of what's comfortable and what seating positions people prefer.
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    I'm only 5'-10", but struggled a bit with the seating position when I first got in the 5. I quickly realized that to get three rows in such a compact platform, Mazda gave the 5 a more upright, SUV-type driving position. I usually prefer sitting as low as possible, but decided to go with it, and raised the seat height. It felt a little odd at first, especially around quick turns, but I've gotten used to it and have had no problems after 3200 miles, including a few trips of 100 to 400 miles. I don't know if headroom becomes an issue as you raise the seat, but raising the seat might be worth a try.
  • pixelizerpixelizer Member Posts: 2
    When gradually accelerating, there is a sudden change in the rate of acceleration, somewhere around 2500-3500rpm. It feels like I suddenly matted the accelerator.

It's most noticeable at low speeds (1st/2nd gear). I think it only happens when the car is cold, but I can't be sure.

I've had the recall work done. Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas on what the cause could be?
This discussion has been closed.