Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'm just being partially sarcastic. Making left turns also uses more gas than right turns, so maybe we need to plan our route better! Actually, turing the steering wheel uses more gas too, so we should take more straight trips! The main thing folks should try to do to save gas is go light on the gas pedal. By the time they're braking it's too late to save the gas.
  • lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    Actually, turn the wheel all you like, I think our 5's have electric steering and not pump-driven steering off a belt - woo hoo!
  • tomas_elantratomas_elantra Member Posts: 9
    sbsteggs I guess it is what it is. The explanations make a bit of sence from the dealership, but then why am I getting 24-25mpg average with a brand new M5 like yourself? We have winter fuel mix here too, so my bet at this point is that the odometer is off a touch, which is nothing to worry about, just not what I would want to read if my car were brand new. And it's only a guess.

Now something I have noticed with my vehicle is when I am going about 50-60 and roll down the windows (the other day was warm and my 6yr old wanted to try out the windows) my ears hurt a bit, and my wife agreed... so is this normal?
  • tomas_elantratomas_elantra Member Posts: 9
    Let me mention two other things along with my new Mazda ownership, one is when we stop and put the vehicle in PARK the car will roll a few inches back or forth unless we are on a completely flat surface, something I never experienced with an automatic before. Secondly the car has a slight engine vibration while waiting at a stoplight, if I put it in neutral or park it goes away?

Nothing big, just my new experiences on the vehicle. Anyone have the same on their M5?
  • mohahamohaha Member Posts: 5
    I've definitely noticed the ear pain phenomenon. It's especially uncomfortable for me in the driver's seat when the only window opened is the front passenger window. The I assume it has something to do with the shape of the car, the path the air flow takes through the car, and perhaps a buildup of air pressure - though it still happens, to a lesser degree, when I simultaneously open the driver's window as well. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a wind tunnel to test my theories.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Completely normal on the car rolling after putting on park and letting the brake pedal go, HOWEVER, "highly" not reccomended, and it is the simple more frequent mistakes people make everyday and then complain about premature transmission failure. PLease do not park your vehicles without applying the parking brake. Most people get to their destination put their car on "P" let go of the brake pedal and either apply parking brake...or not and basically put the complete strain of the weight of the vehicle solely on the transmission. The correct way to do this is arrive, put on "P" fully apply parking brake (not this one two click thing) and then let go of the brake pedal, and voila, guess what no more rolling motion of the vehicle and not loud "clunk" when you are trying to get the darn thing unstuck from "P" because all the weight of the vehicle was resting on your tranny rather then being held by the parking brake.

Engine vibration on these engines is a normal characteristic that they posses. Is it bad? No Is it annoying at times? Yes. But it is one of those things you will have to live with, I learned to live with it and now I do not even notice it.

Wind buffeting noise is annoying on our MZ5 because the shape of the car. If you think the front windows make the buffeting noise try lowering the rears, its even worse. It will ususlly go away if you roll down a front window.
  • BMATTBMATT Member Posts: 8
    I got 301 miles on 11.8 gallon of gas, which adds up to 25.5 MPG. Most of the driving is on the highway and little bit on the back roads.
  • dan5678dan5678 Member Posts: 28
    Have less than 5k miles on it.

I've been sort of bummed from the get-go about the relatively high RPMs my manual five speed turns at 65-70mph. It got much worse when I read today that the Feds report that the 2010 Camaro w/ 3.6L V6+6speed manual is capable of 29mpg highway.

Don't see why I couldn't break 30 if Mazda had given us a 6-speed.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Some time ago somebody from Europe was posting a shot of their speedo at around 100km/hr with its Mazda5 (2.0L), The pic also captured the RPMs, which were very close to mine when I hit ~60-65MPH on fifth gear, so I think a 6th might not help much as it would be geared similarly. It would be a hell of a lot more fun though :D
  • calvus805calvus805 Member Posts: 7
    sbsteggs, just looking to eliminate another possible source of poor mileage. You don't drive with one foot resting on the brake, right?
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I just checked my mileage and I got 24.1 for a 50-50 mix of driving. So it looks like I'm
    right where I should be, in the middle between 21 and 27. My car only has 2000 miles on it, so it isn't even broken in yet. So far, I'm very pleased with the car.
  • kalonkalon Member Posts: 1
    Mine is a 2006 Sport and I've had it for almost 3 yrs now. I get 18-24 mpg around town (depends on how much stop/go traffic). And I've been getting 27-29 mpg highway.

I've had mini-vans for years (everything from an MPV to a Caravan, to the Windstar). To me the Mazda 5 is a micro-van and I've been very happy with it.
  • tadpoleinspacetadpoleinspace Member Posts: 1
    I have my mazda5 AT about 5 months now. My lowest mpg is 22 and highest is 38. Yes, it is possible to get 38 mpg depending on the condition and your driving habit. I drove mostly on the highway and long trips. There are a few things you have to put up with if you want to achieve this mpg. First, pump up the tire to max psi (40). Don't carry anything unnecessary. Don't go above 60mph and use the cruise control. This one is not under your control but it does help if you go with wind direction. If you don't mind having 95% of the cars pass you by, you can achieve this mpg. These are my worst and best record. My average city mpg is 25 and highway is 33.
  • enrevancheenrevanche Member Posts: 1
    Have owned Mazda5 for about four months now.

I'm getting 23 mpg around town and 28-29 mpg highway - my typical mileage on one tank of gas in mixed driving is around 25 mpg. Very respectable and not out of line with what I was expecting.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I have a rental Mazda5 right now and like it, so its gotten me thinking, but the mileage has me wondering. I have a 08 Nissan Altima 2.5 with CVT I average 33 with my car (that is combined) so the much lower MPG has my wondering if I should do the trade in... I like the 610 mileage range of my car.... But the 5 is a BLAST to drive..
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    I went from a Corolla to a 5... I miss the Corolla's mileage for sure but the fun to drive factor, 6 passenger capability, and big versatile cargo space more than makes up for it. It's up to you. Is your commute long? I take the train to work so the 25mpg combined average I've managed to get in my 5 so far hasn't hurt too bad at all, but when I did drive it to work one week which is around 45 miles each way, a tank of gas lasted me 4 working days. I want to note that the Mazda 5 gets the same gas mileage as the 2.4L Toyota Matrix
  • lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    Nice mileage on the Altima, and they are comfy inside. But...the 5 is very versatile, super roomy for 4, my kayaks go on the roof with the factory rack, and you can get a bike inside, or various packages a la Home Depot depending on the configuration. I drive 20K a year, and with my 2007 GT (4 speed auto) it's a steady 25MPG, with a high of 27 and a low of 23. No reliability issues whatsoever, great vehicle! :shades:
  • gmjunggmjung Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 07 Mazda5 Touring 4AT since November 08, bought at 34k, now has about 39k. I took it last month on a trip from Washington DC to WI. Through the mountains of PA with the cruise set at 70 I got about 26-27mpg. Once the road flattened out in Ohio and Indiana mpg came up to around 30. From past experience the mileage falls off quickly over 3000 rpm or 70mph. In WI 50:50 suburban cruising and highway got me close to 30mpg, a far cry from the 20-24 I'm lucky to get in DC city and beltway driving. My mileage has definitely improved since taking ownership in November - either the dealer reflashed the ecu or my little Mazda didn't like winter gas, because the first few months didn't see mpgs higher than the low 20's. Very happy overall with the economy/utility mix in the Mazda5 - but on the highway some more low and mid-range torque would help, and would allow for deeper mpg-friendly gearing.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    Dude! What company rents Mazda5? I would really like to rent one to test drive more extensively.

Thanks!
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Enterprise here in PHX has a couple, as well as Mini Cooper Convertables...
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    There is a new engine and tranny for the 5, according to this article:
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090824/CARNEWS/908249995
  • pi_manpi_man Member Posts: 9
    587 miles (odometer = 700 to 1287) 19.1 gallons = 30.7 MPG

2009 M5 with MT. 2 people, generally around 65 MPH
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    I'm a Puget Sound road trip nut with in-laws in Finger Lakes, sister in Boston, and oldest daughter newly ensconced in college in Maine, and our 2006 MZ5 man trans is just back from a trip that included all of that. Total miles driven = 8804. Total gallons = 345.7. That makes 25.5 mpg total overall.
    This was not gentle driving - Packasport cargo box on the roof plus 3 bicycles on Thule hitch mount rack on the back. Tent camping gear for 4 plus all the college stuff eastbound. Speeds as fast as the flow of traffic, usually 70-80+ mph. But only 2 people on board except for the middle 1800 mile part (the girls of the family flew back east and only did Buffalo-Boston-Maine-Buffalo).
  • dean1966dean1966 Member Posts: 17
    Just got back from a trip from Milwaukee to marshfield wi and back with my 06 manual shift 5.
    Including driving around while there had 516 miles on the tank when I returned and put in 15.37 gal for 33.57 mpg. ( 90% hwy miles)

The only " tricks " I used to get this milage was to set the tires near max pressure, and use the cruise set at 68 mph max. From past experience, I have found that milage drops off fairly fast as you pass 70 mph.
  • irma2irma2 Member Posts: 13
    Enterprise here in Florida.
  • aldebaronaldebaron Member Posts: 5
    I concur on MPG dropping pretty quickly after you pass 70-75 mph. My 2007 Grand Tourning Mazda5 gets 24-26 MPG in daily commuting, and 29-30 overall on long trips. I've driven my M5 all over the western US. I've gotten as good as 35 mpg on a tank driving 65 mph on flat roads in good weather, and as bad as 25 mpg on a trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas--several long grades to climb and that trip I had 50 mph wind gust to contend with. With the extra frontal area of the M5, winds really hurt fuel economy. Still, the M5 really works well for me--most of the long trips I've taken in it, I had a lot of camping gear and astronomy gear with me.
  • ljmattox1ljmattox1 Member Posts: 10
    Been tracking my new USDM 2010 Mazda5 Sport MT with my iPhone's CarCare app.

Tanks tracked so far:

264 miles / 10.703 gal = 24.7 mpg

264 miles / 9.700 gal = 27.2 mpg

368 miles / 13.146 gal = 28.0 mpg

That last tank was my experiment to see when the low fuel light would come one. 15.9 gallons total, right? So something like 2.8 gallons left in "reserve" after the light.

Is my 5 crying 'uncle' too soon, compared with what yours does?
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...I'm a little surprised the MPG numbers aren't a bit higher compared to the MPV. Our MPV gets about 19-20 city, and typically 23-24 highway. Considering it's smaller size and smaller engine, you'd think the 5 would be good for consistant 30+ MPGs highway. I was considering seeing the MPV now that don't need as large a vehicle and going to a 5, but the savings in fuel cost certaily wouldn't make it worth it.
    I have an '05 Ford Freestyle that will easily get mid 20's MPG on the highway and I too was thinking about the Mazda5, but then if it wouldn't get in the 30+ MPG consistently on the highway it wouldn't be worth it. I'm waiting for the 2012 Ford C-Max Grand and 2012 redesigned Mazda 5 that should move the MPG up in the 30s.
    Just got back from a road 420 mile road trip with my manual shift 06, from Milwaukee down through chicago and back up around to south haven michigan and back again.

Got a bit over 31 mpg, and again, all I did was make sure the tires were at max pressure, use the cruise control when possible and keep it below 70 mph.

I really don't understand how people are getting only mid 20's from the 5. I average around 28mpg around town
  • ts_m5ts_m5 Member Posts: 4
    I just filled up my 2010 Sport Auto for the first time and for 297.5 miles (of which 215 were highway), and I got a dismal 22.5 mpg. My 2003 Saturn ION 3 (75k miles) which I traded for the 5 was still getting 27+ on the same roads, same driving style. I usually set the cruise around 72-73 mph on the highway.

The ION was similar 4cyl 2.2L vs 4cyl 2.3L, both automatic but the 5 is about 800lbs heavier. (In fact the length, width, turning radius are almost identical which is why this was the perfect replacement for the ION, but I'm getting off topic). Using 87 octane.

So based on some of the other posts, I'll try to keep it under 70 on the highway and see if that helps. I also can't vouch for the dealer 'topping' it off, but it was very close to full.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I also have a FWD 2005 Ford Freestyle. I average 19-21 city and 23-26 highway. Mileage greatly varies in our Freestyle due to the number of hills on the journey and the speed. My interest for the Mazda5 is mostly due to size. The Freestyle is a pretty large vehicle (18" longer than the Mazda5 but only 5" longer wheelbase). The Mazda5 is infinitely more maneuverable and far more enjoyable to drive, especially at 0-30, where the Freestyle feels much more labored. I love the Freestyle, but I can definitely see where the current Mazda5 could be very compelling, even with the somewhat unimpressive mileage numbers.
    I think you're getting the good MPG because you have the manual tranny. Most people have the auto. With a manual, you can really control the shift points to max out MPG as well as the fact that a manual gets better MPG. The newer auto trannies though are supposed to get the same MPG as manuals, so we'll see.
    You may be right about the manual tranny having an advantage.

I have more new data too as I just got back from another long trip. We went from milwaukee to yellowstone and then on to arco ID to see craters of the moon nat'l monument, nearly 3700 miles total, and to avoid using ethenol gas in yellowstone, I wound up trying premium.

Suprisingly, the premium gas produced higher mpg. Previous best was 34 mpg in an unusual drive of 60 mph with no air, no wind and level terrain.

New best of 35.04 mpg was in moderately hilly, 68 mph with air on, only difference being the premium fuel.

In mountainous yellowstone with a speed limit of 45 mph I also saw 34 mpg with 87 octane and a new record of 39 mpg with premium. ( the 5 gets really good milage in the mountains for some reason).

I think that the motor must allow more timing advance with higher octane to produce these results. To my mind this probally means that there would be no advantage for low load city type driving.

I did save a tiny bit on my total trip fuel costs as the mpg improvement was slightly higher than the % increase of the premium fuel, with the added advantage, at least for out west driving is extended range. 16 gallons at 35 mpg is 560 miles.
    Wow, you're really getting good mileage. My second tank, keeping it under 70, air, another highway trip, was just over 28, so much better than my first tank of 22.5. A third tank for 25.5 was based on some hills in the Shenandoah Valley (which btw the car felt very underpowered, and I would hardly consider myself to be well under heavy load even though it amazes me how much 1 toddler requires!). The last tank, on the way home, was 28.5. I have always been using 87 octane. Maybe I'll fill up with 92/93 before the next highway trip.
  • larry8061larry8061 Member Posts: 37
    My last tank of a lot of freeway driving was 30.7.............

Larry
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    I drive very little. I have 17,400 miles after 26 months. Over the last 26 months I have averaged 26.9 MPG. Mostly around town driving. Longest trip ever 80 miles. Most trips under 15 miles. Very happy with the Mazda5.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    given the mpgs, the space, the style would you get this car again given all factors-- my wife looking at used 08-09-10 m5
    edited July 2010
    Yes I would recommend it to anyone who needs a sub-minivan that seats 6. I think it is ideal for us young families with 2 kids that don't want a minivan or SUV. It really is in its own class for seating, size, and sliding doors.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    thank you.. i have 1 young kid.. was thinking this or the mazda 3 hatch as well
  • davemplsdavempls Member Posts: 11
    I have the 2010 Mazda 5 sport (manual transmission) and my last tank got me 15.66 mpg in the city.

My average, with basically 100% city driving, has been about 18 mpg.

On a road trip last summer to Michigan, our top mpg was 33.6 on the highway.

I was expecting better - and this most recent reading really floored me. Surely I can't be *that* much of a lead foot! Very strange...

Dave
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    It adds more meaning to zoom zoom as now you can watch the zoom zoom of the fuel needle hehe. Well I am sure the next Mazda will have a 6 speed to save gas oh ya they are not lol.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    wow.

Well, as for the most recent reading... where do you live? Here in NJ, we get reformulated gas in the winters and mileage drops quite a bit.

As to your driving... how do you drive? I've always gotten superior mileage with a stick vs automatic. I've read the best way to get good mileage in a manual trans car is "foot to the floor and short shift." So you can pin the go pedal, but just shift 2500rpms or so and you should do OK.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'm in chilly Minnesota.

I don't generally wait to shift at higher rpms, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

I don't know much about the gas we get here, though I do generally opt for the mid-range octane choice. Maybe I should try the higher octane gas to see if that makes even a bit of difference.

I was just surprised to see that my mileage was so much lower than seemingly everyone else's that I came across on the forum. Two or three mpg's wouldn't be cause for alarm, but six or eight less sure seems odd.

Dave
    the trick isn't just the low rpms, but also the foot to the floor and upshifting. It means you are in the lower gears for as short of a time as possible while not revving too far, either. In other words, getting to 5th gear as fast as possible and staying there as long as possible.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    That is a very valid point. re the formulation of the gas. keep in mind that you get about 10% less gas mileage when there is ethanol mixed with it at about a 5% ratio. and they tend to add extra to winter gas (because it absorbs water). Remember gallon for gallon, pure ethanol contains one-third less energy than gasoline. The other side affect is that ethanol is very corrosive which is why they can not use pipelines because of it. The Mazda 5 is not designed to be used with ethanol so I would avoid it anyway. The ethanol industry say you can us up to 10%, on any car, but to me that is like saying you can eat a small amount of mercury and not die lol
    The thoughts about shifting are interesting.

I checked the manual and it says the proscribed speed to upshift from 2>3 for "cruising" from would be at 18 mph, and from 3>4 29 mph.

I've pretty much always shifted my manuals over the years from 2>3 at about 27 or 28 mph, and from 3>4 at 38 or above (with adjustments for hilly conditions, etc.).

Assuming their recommendations take into consideration fuel economy and general engine health, it looks like I might benefit from lowering my shifting points quite a bit.

It also has a grid with general upshift recommendations for "acceleration", which I presume would be not for cruising but accelerating to top speed - which specify 24 mph for 2>3, and 34 mph for 3>4.

Either way, I come out well above those numbers with my usual practices.

I've always felt funny cruising along for any length of time with the tachometer stuck down on the lower end of the register, feeling like it might be putting undue strain on something in the engine or transmission. (Worst case scenario, sitting in the passenger seat while someone else rolls around a corner in third gear...!)

Is there an optimal range to observe for rpm's?

Dave
  • ljmattox1ljmattox1 Member Posts: 10
    An associate in the emissions testing field once told me that low rpm / larger throttle openings / early shifting will produce better fuel economy, so I've been following that for a while (and of course, no more "larger throttle opening" than required). These modern, electronically-controlled engines are amazingly tractable (IMHO, having owned 4-cyl cars since the 70's) so much of the old-days "lugging/knocking/danger" advice rarely is needed. As well, w/r/t your concern for strain on the drivetrain, at low rpms the engine is well off its torque or hp peak ratings, so no worries there either.

My Sport5MT is usually in 5th at 40mph, no issues, and I tend to use the tallest gear that works in the given situation. Which is, actually, how many modern automatics are programmed for best fuel economy (to the point where enthusiastic drivers will gripe, for vehicles where "kickdown" to a lower gear doesn't occur quickly/seamlessly).

Just a data point.
    I concur with ljmattox's post.

As to your question... if I'm dealing with low-speed city driving, I only look to keep it at 1500 rpms or above. So if I'm driving so slow that 4th gear puts me at, let's say, 1800, but 5th would be 1300, then I use 4th. If you do need to put your foot down while cruising at such low rpms, then you simply downshift.

Let us know how you make out.

Good to know - thanks for all the info. I have a full tank as of today, so I'll report back when I next check the mileage.

Dave