Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Congrats! I had a similarly good experience at Maple Shade Mazda last month (I took delivery of my Mazda5 2 weeks ago!). The salesman didn't pressure me to buy the car, didn't make any last-minute changes to the deal, and didn't pressure me to get any options/warranties that I didn't want. A quick and almost fun process :D

And congrats on getting ~$1500 off of MSRP (after the Gerber rebate). I ended up at ~$1100 under MSRP (also after the Gerber rebate) on the lower-priced Sport model in Platinum Silver.
  • artsdartsd Member Posts: 3
    Maybe there are others who went through the same decision making process I am going through.

Currently have a big 7 passenger minivan (Ford Windstar). Wife badly wants the Honda Odyssey EX which is similar size to Ford but has an extra mini seat for 8 passenger seating.

I drive the van to work as my main car so 75% of the miles on the car are me alone. Another 20% is me with wife and 2 kids. And last 5% is with more than 4. Sometimes we have carried 7 in the Ford, because we could; taking other couple to dinner, that sort of thing. Also have had occasion (maybe one or twice a year) to carry full size sheets of 4x8 plywood or other such large objects.

The Mazda5 Touring 5spd is anywhere from $7000-$9000 cheaper than the Honda ($7000 difference wholesale, $9000 difference in MSRP). The Mazda also gets a little better gas mileage.

I think the Mazda with the 5spd manual would be a lot more fun to drive.

Did anyone else go through a similar decision making process? Which way did you finally decide and are you happy with that decision?

Thanks.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I guess you just have to look at the trade-offs for the approx $8000 savings. If it's just for taking another couple to dinner, then I'd just take 2 cars rather then spend the $8000, especially if it's only a few times/year. But if on a regular basis you were carpooling 7-8 people/children, taking load road trips where the 5 lacked the space, etc., then I'd go for the minivan. And the once or twice a year you haul big items it would be cheaper to rent a U-Haul than pay the $8000. You can always try the mazda5 for a year and then you'd really know.
  • bigwheelbigwheel Member Posts: 2
    Dear artsd,

We have gone through the exact decision tree as you! In my case, I was the proponent of the Odyssey for its people moving prowess, and respectable MPG (28hwy with VCM)

At the end of the day, although the Odyssey handled better than some "Luxury Sedans", it seems like a lot of vehicle to drive around every day. Plus it was a tight fit into our garage even with the driver's mirror folded.

Enter the Mazda5 - It is not a (don't say it!) MINIVAN. My wife abhorrs the idea of driving one. Perhaps I planted the seed of malcontent when I taught her how to drive stick while we were dating ('89 Probe GT 2.2L Turbo) - and we haven't owned an automatic to date.

At this point, we've had a horrible experience with Ramsey Mazda in Bergen County NJ. Thanks for the feedback on Mapleshade. Poor customer service aside, we did take it out with 7 folks in it (my 5 yr old was on my lap in the 3rd row, next to our 2.5yr old in a car seat) and my wife took off like a shot. I still need to drive the 5-speed this week beofre nailing down the final numbers, but we're pretty much set to go with this car.

I actually came across this thread while researching pricing on extended warranties on the Net.

My last comment is that if Honda had a similar model, we'd probably with theirs since we are a Honda family these days, though that Probe was really an MX-6 in Ford's clothing. . .

- Scott C.
  • artsdartsd Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback bobw3 and bigwheel.

Took a test drive Saturday with 3 adults and two kids. Car was an automatic (dealer didn't get a manual yet). I thought the engine had plenty of power so that was not an issue for me.

What was a huge issue though was the A/C. I am in Sarasota Florida where the temp with heat index was probably about 100. We have several months in the summer/fall where the temperature is in the high 80s with high humidity. During the entire 15 minute test drive, the A/C never got really cold even in the front passenger seat. Forget about the 3rd row. My kids were sweating back there so I had to open the 2nd row windows to give them some air. That is a real deal breaker for us. I have read about lots of Mazda3 A/C complaints so I don't think this car was an anomoly.

If I lived where I didn't need the A/C so much, I would definately buy the Mazda5.
    Some people recommend closing the side vents and pointing the center vents to the ceiling to get the cool air to the back, but on the other hand, if you're going to use rows 2 and especially row 3 a lot in the hot weather, you need something with vents in the back.
  • bigwheelbigwheel Member Posts: 2
    Well, I hear you on the A/C issue - yes I've read the same thing. Well, shoot for the Odyssey or one of the 3rd row equipped vehicles below unless you've sought them out already:

- Ford Freestyle, 2WD (Autoweek.com has a nice Odyssey vs. Freestyle article)
    - Highlander V6 2WD, or Hybrid (pricey)
    - Volvo V70 w/ jumpseats
    - Mazda MPV - ES model (Consumer reports pulled their checkmark as of the '04 model year, but with the $4,000.00 rebate, you cold spring for the extended waranty)

My wife and I didn't like the driving dynamics of the Sienna - mushy brakes, lots of leaning in corners.

Bonne Chance!

10-7
  • pagetunerpagetuner Member Posts: 41
    If the airco is the ONLY thing that keeps the Mazda5 from being the car for you, consider two things before you give up on it.

(1) Most of the full-sized vans these days are delivered with window tint standard, to reduce the greenhouse effect of all that glass. The Mazda5 can be tinted to match for $200 or so. See http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/mazda5sizecompare.html and http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/windowtint.html

(2) Make sure you have tried with the vent system set with arrows pointing to the little person's face AND FEET. There are ducts (and storage spots for options my Sport doesn't have) under the front buckets that move air directly to the second row. (Yes I know hot air rises, but you're going to use the fan, not just convection.)

We have been comfortable in 96oF. driving in full sun in a dark grey 5, and if the system were not adequate, my family would not hesitate to let me know.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
    I just found this on the web today: free $25 super certificate (redeemable for a $25 gift certificate to a store of your choice) just for test driving a Mazda5:

http://www.mazda5testdrive.com/

I already test drove and bought a Mazda5...too bad the offer isn't retroactive.

Steve
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    I signed up earlier this week for the super certificate and have not yet heard from Mazda as of today. I'll post when I get the certificate. We plunked down $100 for a "first right of refusal" on a Cardinal Red Sport with a moonroof and wheel locks. It should be at the dealer in early September. I contacted Gerber about the $500 certificate and they responded yesterday with "it's in the mail." I still have yet to test drive a Mazda5 though, so I still qualify for the $25 certificate. I'm crossing my fingers...
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    I'm on my way to pick up a platinum silver 5sp with no options. Through the internet department at the dealer in Orem, Utah I'm paying $16,300 ($16,800 minus $500 Zoom Zoom rebate from Mazda). There is a $380 dealer document fee tacked on, and tax, title, and license. The dealer doc fee is $20 to 80 higher than other area dealers, but the tax rate is lower in their county (Utah County) and makes up for the increased fee.

I think I'm doing good.

By the way, the price I got through Costco was $17,221. That is more than the first offer I got just by walking in the door at a different dealer.
    Congrats on buying a Mazda5! :D

$16,800? Wow, that's lower than the invoice of $16,864! :surprise:
    How'd you manage that, did it take a lot of haggling?
  • elzi121elzi121 Member Posts: 4
    Carbon Gray Mazda5 Touring automatic no nav. We got the Gerber discount- I just printed the confirmation page from the Mazda site that says they are sending the certificate and the dealer took that- didn't even need the certificate. Final cost (with some additional neg.) was $19,200 + TTL.

Just one quick trip to the grocery store, but so far I am thrilled!
    Not really any haggling at all for the $16,800 price. I was given a price of $16,999 right off the bat after a test drive. Then I emailed the 3 other dealers that are within 50 miles of me. One of them called me back with the $16,800 offer. I called the first place where I took the test drive to see if they'd match or beat the price and they told me know way (and they weren't very nice about it). So I drove about 40 miles and bought the car for $16,800. I assume they made their money on the hold back and dealer fee.

Here is a page about dealer hold back:
    http://www.car-prices-costs.com/dealer-cost.html
    Did you have any trade-in?
    No trade in. (last week I was driving a 15 year old truck with a lot of missing paint. It isn't worth much)
    I did not finance through the dealer and I did not buy an extended warranty or anything else.
    That's great. I think really for the 5 to do well, it needs to be in the price range of other econ-cars, not up in the price range of minivans. If it gets too close to minivan pricing, then people may go there. I think they should market it as a station wagon version of the Mazda 3, but then I think they should market the Ford Freestyle as the station wagon version of the Ford 500, but then nobody listens to me!
  • csosalanzcsosalanz Member Posts: 3
    I'm also looking at getting a 5. Where did you get the Gerber discount from? The confirmation page to what? :confuse:
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    I know about the $560 destination
    what about the extra $398 the dealer wanted to charge me for extra delivery?
    that's why I walked out.
    they were offering sport automatic for 17,900 (without gerber)
    thanks
  • mikey12mikey12 Member Posts: 1
    Wendy: The magazine is called Plum Pregnancy Magazine. It was distributed only to OB/GYN offices in Spring/Summer 05. I called my doctors office and they had the magazine and were very nice about givng it to me. They must have initially received several copies. So I have my ad and certificate and I'm just waiting for the 2006's to come in. Good Luck
    I called gerber's 1-800 number,
    asked them for this certificate,
    had it in the mail in 5 days.
    I've never heard of an "extra" delivery charge, except maybe for Alaska or Hawaii. You were right not to pay it.

they were offering sport automatic for 17,900 (without gerber)

Was the $17,900 before or after the "extra" delivery charge was added? As a final price, $17,900 is great for a sport automatic (it's $1000 under MSRP, and I paid $600 under MSRP for mine 2 months ago). So, even though the "extra" delivery charge is a bogus charge, your final cost of $17,900 + $398 = $18,298 is still a fairly good deal (still $600 under MSRP). You might be able to do a little bit better than $18,298 at a different dealership, but I'd be surprised if you can do better than $17,900.
  • partsguy1partsguy1 Member Posts: 19
    Just wondering if some Canadians can comment on their shopping experience and prices paid vs MSRP?

Anything in hindsight you can add would be appreciated?

Thanks
  • ffunffun Member Posts: 29
    We just bought a Mazda5 GT (5spd with A/C) in Edmonton and paid about 300 less than the MSRP. They are selling almost as soon as they get to the dealership so we didn't have a whole lot of bargaining power but I e-mailed all the dealerships in the city and went with the one that quoted me the best price. It's a good idea to request that the get the rear windows tinted for you. This is done aftermarket but at least you can pay for it all at once instead of having to do it seperately.

So far we love the car.
    $17,900 was before the extra charge, I guess you are right, but I really didn't want to talk to that dealer, the sales guy was totally clueless about everything, the manager was superb though.
    but I really didn't want to talk to that dealer

Totally understandable. If you can get the same price elsewhere, there's no reason to put up with phoney charges and a clueless salesman. If they add an "extra delivery" charge now, it makes you wonder if they'll try to add an extra $500 doc fee later on...good idea to get out of there and take your business elsewhere.

By the way, good luck finding a Mazda5 to buy...I'm really happy with mine! :)
    well,
    I called the dealership back, talked to the manager and he waived the extra delivery charge (which he said was to get the car from the port to the dealership). anyway, looks like I got it. :)
  • momstoymomstoy Member Posts: 30
    Hi All,

I found out about the Gerber rebate after the fact - but when I called Mazda - they said that they would honor it if I sent in the offer with my sales contract - which I did about 6 weeks ago - I got my $500 check today!!
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    ffun - are you not concerned about the ground clearance under the 5 in the Edmonton winter?
    I'm not at all concerned about the ground clearance. Our previous car was a Honda Civic and we never had any problems. We don't plan on going of road with it so I don't know why I would be concerned with the clearance. Besides, Edmonton winters are more cold then they are snowy. Newfoundland is the one with all the snow.
  • mpower3mpower3 Member Posts: 5
    I also live in Alberta and I am interested in this vehicle. Just wondering what the total price is for M5 GT 5sp AC is compared to the website price. Any extra fees from dealer on top of web price? Pls indicate if cost includes GST. How much is tint?

Thanks
  • qnyqny Member Posts: 3
    Bought a Touring at Great Neck. New York. Good experience. Internet manager is pretty good.
    The price was pretty close to the website. My cost for M5 GT 5sp AC was

$24980.00 Net
    $20.00 AB Tire Levy
    $25,000.00 Total
    $455.00 Warranty + LOF
    $1781.85 GST
    $27,236,85 Grand Total

The web price comes to $27,568.55 for the same options including the warranty. I got quotes from three different dealerships and this was the lowest.

The $455 bought me an extra year and 20,000km on my warranty plus lifetime oil changes from my dealer.

They can send it out for tinting which they said would cost around $500 but we chose not to do that this year as summer is pretty much over anyway.
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    Update: Rec'd $500 check in the mail today. Woo hoo!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Sorry... we don't run a coupon exchange in Edmunds' forums....

Thank you for your cooperation....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The Gerber rebate offer has been discussed earlier in this thread and in some of the other Mazda threads. You register at Gerber.com, e-mail them saying you would like a copy of the Mazda rebate ad, then register at Mazdausa.com/gerber and when you get the confirmation from Mazda, take it to your dealer and submit it at the time of purchase. I had purchased my MZ5 a few weeks before the confirmation info had come back from Mazda. I went to the dealer and they helped me fill it out and submit it anyway. I was quite pleased when a week later a check showed up. That brings my purchase price down to 18,900 USD on a Touring automatic that stickered for 20,410.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Got an email from Mazda today...

Mazda’s partnerships with Gerber and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists (ACOG) have provided us with new and unique ways to reach and promote the Mazda Brand to new prospects. Although both campaigns achieved sales growth, they will be concluding on 9/30/05.

As a reminder, customers need both the original coupon mailed from Gerber or the original Ad placed in Plum magazine (ACOG) and the $500 email certificate to be eligible for the offer.

Please refer to the program letters in DealerLink for the rules on processing the coupon or ad. Dealers that submit the Mazda Cash Back Rebate Form for customer cash back or dealer reimbursement without also submitting the original offer and $500 email certificate will be subject to dealer charge back. No photocopies of the Gerber coupon or ACOG ad will be accepted for claims submission.
  • thisisamericathisisamerica Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

I just called Gerber to request for the ad. And I already registered at mazdausa.com/gerber. But when I called my dealer, they said they have never heard of gerber discount. I just want to know if u could tell me how you get your dealer to fill out the paperworks for you?

By the way, u mentioned to register at gerber.com. How?

J
    Sorry I don't know any more about it than what I already posted. Search through the old posts for Gerber. Registering at Gerber would have given you access to the ad, but if you already have it, then it doesn't matter. The part that took the longest for me was waiting for Mazda to send the confirmation info after I registered at the website. Once I had that confirmation e-mail, I went to the dealer and they did a generic rebate form, took the original ad and offer from Mazda and attached a copy of my sales contract. i received my check about a week later. I think this might be moot, however. The offer was supposed to end Friday and chances are not good that the 5 will be available for sale by then.
    so have you received the $500 check from Mazda USA yet? Did u try at your dealer first or you just called mazda usa directly? I just called my dealer and they said they have never heard of gerber discount.

I found this forum today and just call gerber to ask for the ad. But I purased the car on 8/18. Really hope i could still get $500 back.

J
    thanks for your prompt reply.

I purchased my 5 on 8/18 but just found out $500 gerber discount TODAY. I called Gerber for the ad but they said they will mail it to me tomorrow. I wonder if I could get it by this Friday or not. Where did u get the information about this offer is supposed to be valid till this Friday.

Do u know if I register at Gerber, I could get the ad quicker than receiving by mail? mazdausa.com/gerber did mention that the certificate will be given in 1-2 days after registering. So i registered it today and hopefully to have it by thursday. Now i worry when could I really have the ad by gerber.

By the way, we got a ford minivan from avis during the 5 recalls, what about u?
    Calling Gerber instead of registering was probably the better way to do it. Quicker anyway. It took Mazda about 4 weeks to e-mail me my confirmation though. When I finally got that I took it and the original Gerber ad I had received via snail mail to my dealer. This was now about 6 weeks after I had purchased my 5. The dealer sent it in and I received my check from Mazda a week later. For more info about the expiration date, look at the earlier posts in this section. In fact, the one before your first post, #92.
    I REALLY APPRECIATE FOR YOUR INFORMATION. I called Mazda usa and told them about my case, and they said they will forward this information to the MARKETING Department to have them contact me. SO good luck to me.

J
    Hi,

I received the Mazda certificate by email today but it was stated that "this offer is only valid on a 2005 or 2006 Mazda vehicle purchase between 09/28/2005 and 11/28/2005.". Did your certificate have this statement too?

and it also states "The $500 Cash Back Bonus can be combined with any public incentives and must be processed through a Mazda dealer." which I know my dealer will deny it on the dates because we purchased the car in August.

God! I really don't know what to do now?

Any advice?
    The start date is just the day you receive or print out the response. The program has been in place for almost a year, IIRC. Just call your dealer and ask them if they can help you out. They should, as this is not coming out of their pocket and only requires a couple of photocopies and filling out a couple of forms. I can't guarantee anything, obviously, but mine was sent in 6 weeks after I made my purchase and I got my check a week later. It can't hurt to try. If your dealer is unwilling to help, you might want to choose another for your next purchase or service.
    Thanks again. I got the gerber ad today by mail. So now I have everything and I called my dealer and they said it's the last day of the month today. They are too busy today so the sales manger told me to go to the dealer on Monday. However, he still doesn't have any idea about this coupon offer.

I called Mazda USA and they siad it's not possible that the dealer has no idea about it. And they still want me to go through my dealer.

So I will go to my dealer next Monday and hope they will not challenge on the dates. I wanna thank you again no matter i will get the 500 back o not.

J
  • techtechtechtech Member Posts: 11
    I went to the dealership this morning look at mazda 5 2006 automatic touring without nav. but they added compass and auto dimming mirror to it .the price on the window is 20540 the manager offering me on the invoice which is 19290+++
    what do you guys think. he told me no neg under invoice..but i know i can always go for other dealer..just wondering if the manager offering me a good deal or fair deal...could i get any lower.....i need help...any idea about any rebate coming up...i could wait a month or so....thank
  • rovertonroverton Member Posts: 20
    Here is Richmond, Va. the list was 20,400 & paid 18,400. Whitten Bros. tried to charge me 295 for windshield etching and 900 for a 1 year extended warrenty. I had to talk with the owner to get this removed. While the sales manager & saleman was great, the Bus. Manager was high pressure to sell me the extras but failed to explain the 295 until I insisted. I have never had this problem with honda or toyota dealers so this will be the last mazda I purchase.
    I think that everytime you get a dealer like that, you should write a letter to Mazda and CC the dealer telling them what happened. Dealers are always getting reviewed by the company on surveys, so an individual letter should make some impact if enough people do it...the silent upset customer can make no impact.
  • driverinvadriverinva Member Posts: 14
    Here is Richmond, Va. the list was 20,400 & paid 18,400.

Is that right? That's a great deal! Here in No. Va. it doesn't seem like dealers are selling for more than several hundred below MSRP. I'd be interested to hear from others in the No. Va. area.