Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    Anyone shopping for this vehicle lately?

Trying to negotiate with a dealer. Offering car for $16825 plus taxes, fees and registration in CT. I see a fe wmonths ago people had better luck getting a car for about $1k less. Now they have 36 months 0% APR financing, so that may play a role.

Please share if anyone got a lower price. The car has no other options on.
  • jochen74jochen74 Member Posts: 2
    Shopping for a 2010 Mazda3 i sport (automatic with no extras). MSRP is $17,055 (or $17,805 if you include destination charge). Invoice is $15,982.
    Got a quote via Ebay Motors of $15,339. Contacted dealer (which is 100 miles away) to confirm. Was told OTD price with tax, tag and dealer fees would be $17,415 (new tag, no trade-in, Central Florida region).
    Good deal?
  • cslasorcslasor Member Posts: 15
    I've been considering buying a Mazda5 for several months now, and the 0% financing offer is very tempting. I figure it would save me about $1000 in finance charges vs. financing at my credit union's rate of 2.9% for 36 months.

What I was wondering, though, is whether it really makes any difference to try to buy during a special financing deal. I mean, do they just hold out for a higher price when they have a 0% financing deal? Or would it maybe be better to wait a while and see if the number of buyers drops off after the financing deal expires and then negotiate a better price?

Any thoughts from you car-buying experts?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    It's discount OR special financing in most cases.
  • cslasorcslasor Member Posts: 15
    There are no rebates or discounts being offered in this case, just 0% financing, so that's not an issue. But the price is always negotiable and I was just wondering if they would generally negotiate to the same price while they're having a financing deal as they would after the deal expires.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you can buy at 1-200 over invoice and get the financing good for you. If they want full msrp to get the financing then crunch the numbers.
  • robchuckrobchuck Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    My family bought a 2010 Mazda5 Sport AT (no options) about 2 weeks ago (MSRP: $20,185; Invoice: $19,200). We used our own financing (not the 0%/36 mo. promotional rate), as we put $10,000 down (no trade) and will pay the vehicle off in 6-9 months. We paid $17,800 (incl. destination/delivery) and OTD of $19,500. The vehicle would have been $18,300 if we took the 0% financing.
  • shweeshwee Member Posts: 2
    $23,805 MSRP (incl. $50 wheel locks), bought today for $21,073 plus CT tax, dealer conveyance fee and reg/license fee. Paid cash, no financing.
  • alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    After much negotiation made a deal today on Mazda5 sport 5 speed manual with no other options (MSRP $18745)

Selling price: $16615
    With CT tax, Conveyance fee and new car registration it came to $18062.80

Did not take 0% financing.

I have shopped several dealers both in person and online and this seems the best price which is essentially seeling at invoice minus $1000 dealer engagement cash incentive.

Taking delivery some time next week. :shades:
  • ckraheckrahe Member Posts: 10
    The end of March turn out to be a great time to buy a car.

My wife and I bought a 2010 Mazda5 Sport, with manual transmission and no options, from Congressional Mazda in Rockville, Maryland on Wednesday (Mar 31). The car was built in December and had 2 miles on the odometer.

$15,149.00 - Price
    $750.00 - Mazda Freight
    $100.00 - Dealer Processing
    $20.00 - Dealer Registration Fee
    $16,019.00 - SUBTOTAL

$959.94 - Maryland Taxes
    $218.00 - Maryland Registration (2 years)
    $4.00 - Maryland Tire Recycling Fee
    $17,200.94 - Total Drive off Price

We did not take the 0% financing offer (base was quoted $641 higher w/0%). As with our Odyssey, we paid the maximum the dealer allowed on a credit card ($2,500) to get the 1% credit card rebate.

I've already posted one disappointing dealer review (for MileOne Heritage Mazda in Owings Mills) and will post two good reviews (Gaithersburg Mazda in Gaithersburg, and Congressional Mazda in Rockville).

Thanks to Edmunds again for offering these forums and the dealer email service. We used Google Maps to pull together dealer reviews, and contacted only the dealers we felt were worth dealing with (5 dealers in all).

Good luck to all other buyers!
  • rhofrarhofra Member Posts: 1
    Bought a Mazda5 Sport at the end of May. Got the automatic transmission and had a roof rack installed, but didn't get any other options. Paid in cash so did not need the 0% financing.

Cost was $18,060 + MD sales tax ($1089.54) + registration, tags and title fees ($202) + dealership fee ($99)

Out the door for $19,450.54. Would have been right around $19,000 without the roof rack.
  • sldf29sldf29 Member Posts: 1
    I live in CT. Also looking forward to buy 2010Mazda 5. May I know your dealer? Thanks.
  • snazarellasnazarella Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Am in negotiations in Ottawa Canada. Currently in discussion on a new 2010 GS, automatic with air. Getting car mats, cargo cover and bumper cover thrown in. All fees and taxes in for $27,500. He swears that this is $300 over list price. :confuse: "> Anyone know better?

Snazzy
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    I would check with someone like the APA.ca for a small fee the will tell you everything you want to know. I would be wary as all the Ottawa dealerships are owned by the same family (well it was when I lived there 4 years ago). Good luck. ps you might want to wait a few months as the new 5 will be out soon.
  • snazarellasnazarella Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I do think that I will end up paying for the information if I can't get it on my own. I don't mind driving a bit out of Ottawa to get a better deal. Is there somewhere that you recommend? Are you suggesting waiting a couple of months because the 2010s would be a better price once the 2011s hit the lots? We are not in a particular rush, we just want to strike while the car is the cheapest. We can finance with Mazda's 0% or an LOC against our house.

Thanks so much!
    Snazzy :)
  • shweeshwee Member Posts: 2
    Colonial Mazda in Danbury.
  • mazdafivemazdafive Member Posts: 1
    Finally bought a 2010 Mazda5 sports auto without any additional options. It comes with floor mats.

Price is $17,300 plus TTL. so far so good.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who recently purchased a minivan. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, August 4, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• reticulum12reticulum12 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking right now for a manual 2010 Mazda 5. I thought that it will be a good time to buy it but the best deal I can get is only $18 800 OTD if financed with them. It will be $19 600 OTD if I get the 0% APR.
    I have the feeling that I'm not getting a good price. what do you think?
  • vjoe_udovjoe_udo Member Posts: 30
    i got a quote for a Sport + auto
    18200 out the door. My state does not have sales tax.
    You should probably try getting financing from a bank.
    That way you can get the cash incentive 750 to customer + 750 cash to dealer.
    If you finance with dealer, you can only get 500 cash to customer.

From what I understand.
    My dealer is telling me that there is no $500 cash to customer. Another dealer told me that it is only if you own a Mazda before. Is that right?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My dealer is telling me that there is no $500 cash to customer

There is in my area. There is special financing plus $500 customer cash.

go to MazdaUSA.com and search the incentives in your region.
    last week-end I bought a 2010 manual Mazda 5 for $17 000 Out of The Door.
  • joeforjobjoeforjob Member Posts: 37
    What is the model? How much is the net price before tax, document fee........? Thanks.
    edited September 2010
    It is the Sport trim, manual without any additional options.
    If I remember well $16 990 + $1 600 Tax and Doc fee - $1 500 rebate.
    I did not use the 0% APR. I got a 3.16% to finance the car.
  • romodomeromodome Member Posts: 13
    I am looking at the Base Sport Auto. The best deal I can get is $16,300+TTL, but at a dealership which is about 70 miles away. I am looking to get $16,200.00 at a near dealership.
    the new september rebate is 1500 cash to dealer. there must be another 750 incentive somewhere because the price is quite a bit lower than August.
    I am also looking for a base sport auto and the best quote I've got in September is 16750 + TTL. They only have black though.
    16200 sounds like a really good price. post the final number once you get it. ;)
    thx
    I am looking for a new 2010 Mazda GT Auto under $20,000. I believe that it is coming soon because Mazda 5 sale is very slow so far. Thanks.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I am looking for a new 2010 Mazda GT Auto under $20,000. I believe that it is coming soon because Mazda 5 sale is very slow so far. Thanks.

Your logic is a little flawed, and here is why.

First, to get a Mazda5 GT for under $20,000, a dealer would have to sell you one about $1,400 under invoice plus give you the $1,500 dealer engagement cash, which means you cannot have the special financing. Keep in mind, dealers are not overstocked with this car because they are only allowed to order a specific amount, so getting one $1,400 under invoice may be very hard to do.

Second, the Mazda5 is selling as intended by Mazda. It is a low production vehicle that is hardly even advertised. It is not a volume seller, nor is it intended to be, and not a part of Mazda's core vehicles. Think of it as the family version on the MX-5 Miata.

With the 2012 version not due out until sometime in 2011, the current version will continue to sell and be produced in the small amounts it is already made.

Your only shot at getting one under $20,000 is for Mazda to put crazy rebates on them. It's never happened on this car in the past, and I don't expect it to happen unless there is quite a few remaining when the 2012 version comes out.

Your logic is a little flawed, and here is why.

I dont think its flawed. I think its reasonable for this car. If you read past comments from about July-November, you'll see people gettting GT for about $20,000.00. That, plus the fact that the 2011 are coming in by November, and the car is selling SLOWLY I think $20,000.00 is MORE than reasonable, I think that is about what I would pay, but it would be $20,000.00 +TTL. That is one thing that irritates me here, that alot of people put price, but dont show if its OTD or +TTL.
    I think the incentives will get better and better if you can wait.
    There are no 2011. The remodeled 2012 is suppose to show up in Spring 2011 and the 2010 should have a late production stop.

Just keep an eye out on web specials and holidays sales.
    I see a Touring on web special for 18,500 + TTL at a local dealer. They'll probably try to hard sell extended warranty and all kind of craps when you go in though.

If you can hold off and keep an eye on all the GT locally, you can probably get below $20,000 soon. Probably have less color and options selections as they stop making the car though. not sure when they'll stop making the 2010.
    I agree your post. I am looking for a new Mazda5 GT auto net price under $20,000.00+TTL, NOT $20,000 OTD . Let us see what happen in the future.
    Thanks.
    I see a web special for a Mazda5 GT - $19,999. (portland, OR) :)
    http://www.rontonkinmazda.com/

I'm only looking for a base sport auto though.
    Great! Thank you for your information.
    Well, I got $16,200.00 From Browning Mazda in Cerritos Mazda in CA. I used overstock.com pricing (Zip is 92025, $16,577) and worked down from there. Within 5 minutes on the phone the internet sales manager said $16,300 then when I starting to back off he did $16,200.00. I was told by a couple of dealership they would bait and swith. Complete opposite, they called, asked what color I wanted (black/black) and they had to do a car swap with another dealership. When my wife changed her mind, they were willing to do anther swap for a gray one she wanted.
    Well, I thought there must have been some catch, because the neg. went to wasy. but no. The breakdown is below. The salesman just asked for my id and payment info (paid all cash except for $5,000.00 on a credit card for a milage bonus) and the finance guy didnt not try to sell me anything. They even let me leave the car there overnight so I could visit family in Glendale. Overall a great deal. Do not deal with Mazda of Escondido, they are not very honest and tried to tack on fake govt charges to their "best offer of $18,500.00. Browning Mazda is known for picking you up at an airport to complete a deal and are real straight forward.

Sticker: $20,410.00
    Price:$16,200.00
    Tax (8.75) $1422.31
    DMV Electronic Filing: $29.00
    License and Registration: $280.75 (includes tire tax of $8.75)
    Doc Prep: $55.00

Total: $17,987.06 including a free oil change. I just need to Tint the Windows (anyone know how much for the rear and pax windows???)

They said they will beat the overstock.com price. So again, I totally recommend Browning Mazda of Cerritos.
  • mazdaratti1mazdaratti1 Member Posts: 3
    I got a 2010 GT for $19,800 3 weeks ago. Negotiate hard and you'll get it.
    Good jobs! Which car dealer did you work on? Thanks.
    wow, that's a nice price.
    I wonder if CA has more incentive. The best overstock price in my area code 97201 is 17,477 for a sports automatic. That's a $1000 more...
    I would take the 92025 area code and see if they price match. Where is 97201?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    97201 is somewhere in Orange County, below LA, I'm pretty sure..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm in the DC area. Koons Mazda in Silver Spring ultimately won out but Browns Arlington came close. Even though they tried very hard to get me into their dealerships, I negotiated exclusively via email with multiple dealers. Koons was just quicker to respond and didn't play too many games. I got the exact vehicle I wanted in the end; no "manager's demo" with 4K miles on it or a color nobody wants. My sense is that these aren't flying off the lots and the highly publicized recall might have spooked potential buyers. Add that to the normal end-of-model year incentives and there's plenty of potential for a great deal.
    Thank you for your information so detail. I will start to call my local dealers and post what happen in the future. BTW, do you like your new car? Any complain so far? Since I drive my car a lot each year, I am looking for a no trouble and safe car. Thanks.
    97201 is Portland Oregon
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Duh... I had a typo in my brain... (92701 is Orange County, CA)..

lol...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I like it a lot. It would be nice to have a little more power but it's more than enough for average driving. The stock tires (Toyo Proxies) are very noisy. Other than that, I can't believe how clever and capable it is. And I'm surprised how good it looks.
    Thank you for your sharing information. What are the stock tires? Could you explain it a little clear? Thanks.
    All right, deal is done.
    MSRP 20,420

16,734 sales price no financing with dealer to get the 1500 rebate
    + 124 all season mats and back step plate ( I wanted these)
    + 378 license (paid extra 30 for cultural trust plates and extra 80 county tax)
    + 50 title

$17,286 out the door. yeah!
    This is at Royal Moore Mazda in Hillsboro, OR near Portland. Internet sale manager was good. no pressure tactics or anything, in and out in less than 2 hours.
    Congrats on the car. I'm really enjoying mine. It replaces a Honda CRV, 1999. Its for my wife, myself, my two year old and my expected second in May 2011. Hopefully it fits the bill. The only thing I am going to get is the back bumper plastic thing and a window tint (its going to cost me $350 for the tint, but the place is where most of the local dealerships go to). Well, congrats again!
  • pi_manpi_man Member Posts: 9
    I got my 2009 M5 tinted and I picked a medium tint (#20) for for second and back rows and a light tint (#35) for driver's row for $350. They said that technically 2nd row was too dark but it is hardly checked. They are checking it more often now, and I failed inspection because of it. So now I have to go back and spend $100 to replace the 2nd row with a lighter tint to match the driver's row. What's weird is that the darker tints are legal if it is OEM, but not after-market, and there is no tint option for an M5.
    Thanks!!
    I'm pretty happy with it so far. I just drove it once so far (home from dealer.)
    Looking forward to driving it more this weekend.
    I'll get it tinted too.