Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Replied on other forum - I love my 5, it sounds like a perfect fit for you! Hope your husband enjoyed the 5-speed? :)
  • kev604kev604 Member Posts: 30
    Not a bad deal with the cash discount and the options thrown in considering its the GS model.
    I put a $500 deposit on my platinum silver GT Auto on Sept.29 and have been waiting ever since. Havent heard from the dealer since I put my deposit down, no phone call to update whatsoever.
    I'm in Vancouver BC and the vehicle is popular here, every dealership has a waiting list for the 5. Even before the recall it was about a 2month wait to take delivery. I'm not expecting mine till end of December maybe even into January. I hope you have better interaction with your dealer then I have had.
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    We got a Whitewater Pearl MZ5 Touring with auto and nav for just over $21k today.

Dealt with Winchester Mazda in Winchester, VA. Very friendly internet sales manager who offered a very fair deal on my trade and what I felt was a good deal on the new Mazda.

Overall, very smooth transaction and we're delight with the car.

:)
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    I got my $500 check from Mazda yesterday, along with a free bottle of touch-up paint. That brings my total purchase price down to $18,400 for a Touring automatic.
  • theduke2theduke2 Member Posts: 8
    I just got back from buying a Mazda5 Touring with manual transmission and without navigation, in platinum silver. We had very few cars to choose from as there were only two touring manuals in the entire San Francisco Bay area, one gray and one silver. We wanted black, the but the silver looked great and the grey car was another 40 miles away.

Besides the initial test drive, the sum of my experience with this car is the 20 mile drive home about an hour ago, but I'm really impressed so far. The manual trans shifts great but is a bit reluctant to engage fifth gear, but I imagine that this will improve with age. In any case, the shifter is much better to operate than my old Protege5 with 40k miles on it. It's really smooth with really solid shifts while the Protege was always a bit loose and notchy feeling. Definitely getting closer to Honda standards in this regard.

I never got to test drive a touring model before so this is the first I've experience the automatic climate controls and I already like them. I frankly couldn't care less about fully automatic controls but I like the way these can be controlled. Most of these systems seem to do things you don't like, such as going to full-force fan speed when the car is started, but the system on the Mazda5 doesn't try to out-think what the driver wants. The upgraded stereo on the touring is great. I wouldn't call myself a real audiophile, but I think it sounds crisp and the bass isn't all muddy like most factory systems I've heard.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit what I paid for this car. I got an S-plan certificate from a Mazda USA employee friend which essentially gives the car at invoice. The MSRP was $19,545 (standard features plus a cargo net) and the S-plan price was $18,455. I also had a $500 off Zoom Zoom event certificate from a test drive event that Mazda had last summer and last week I got a $500 off certificate that Mazda sent out to prior customers, so my price ended up being around $17,500. To put this in perspective, this is about what we paid for the Protege a few years ago for a lot more car.
  • partsguy1partsguy1 Member Posts: 19
    Just wondering if anyone opted for the mazda extended warranty, Dealer applied rust proofing, scotchgarding of fabric seats and carpets etc? Is it cheaper to go aftermarket?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Always better to go aftermarket. What you described is one of the main reasons dealers can make a profit, even if they sell a car "below invoice." They make a ton of profit on extended warranties, rust proofing, scotchgarding, etc. Another other big source of profit is financing (the only profitable part of GM is the GM Finance), and finally the trade-in is where they make big bucks.
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    I bought a Platinum Silver Metalic Mazda5 Touring last night. Only options were automagic transmission, wheel locks, and dealer installed tint. Price was $18,641 + $349 for tint, plus TTL. Total out the door was $21,177.33.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Hey Folks!

Seriously jones'in for an M5 Touring with Auto and Nav. Am I outta luck scoring a $500 coupon deal or are they still out there?

Craig
    Craig,

If you check out a couple of the Mazda3 forums, folks over there are giving away the $500 Zoom Zoom live coupon.

I used one to buy my Mazda5. It's good till the end of December and it can be combined with other incentives (say so on the coupon).
  • carintocarinto Member Posts: 1
    Which dealership did you purchase from? Were they good about negotiating?
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Wuster,

Thanks for the tip. Following your suggestion I did post in the Mazda 3 forum and it got removed my the forum host for some interesting reasons. In any event, I appreciate your suggestion.

Craig
  • bppbpp Member Posts: 3
    I have visited several dealerships in the Toronto area and have found that they are unwilling to negotiate on price.

Any recommendations?
  • partsguy1partsguy1 Member Posts: 19
    Try in no particular order:
    *Carcost Canada ( they may have a pre-arranged price with a specific dealer)
    *e-wheels.ca
    *Automobile Protection Association ( they have a pre-arranged price with a specific dealer. They are on CITY TV on the weekends)
    *Walk into a dealer and tell them you want $700 off the MSRP and you are ready to deal NOW!

God speed and Good Luck!!! :):):)
  • giraldogiraldo Member Posts: 17
    I need to fax, or submit a copy of the Gerber discount to mazda for the 500 dollars rebate, but i no longer have it. Does anyone have the certificate so i can fax or send it. If you can e-mail it to me that would be great. If you can send it, it would be great too. I appreciate any help.
    2006 mazda5
    -500 zoom-zoom live
    s-plan pricing
    -500 gerber rebate (hopefully)
  • justpickinjustpickin Member Posts: 2
    I just got my Mazda 5 last night.

Price Paid: $20,200 OTD.
    Mazda 5 Touring, Automatic Transmission, Wheel Locks, Cargo Liner, Bumper Step Plate & Free Lifetime Oil Change.
    This price included my Zoom Zoom Certificate.

$18796.75 Car w/options (includes $560 Destination Charge)
    $1903 in tax/license/reg etc.
    minus $500 Zoom Zoom Certificate
    Total OTD $20,200
    Almost $450 under invoice.

I used the fax/email method. Dealers were all over the map from $500 over invoice down to my purchase price. Dealer offered no grief, beat my financing which will save me another $500 over the life of the loan. :)
  • northdennisnorthdennis Member Posts: 6
    Great deal on 5. I will finalize deal end of this week, I have dealer at invoice, plus zoom zoom coupon. Can you clarify the cargo liner details? How big is this, does it just cover the small storage area in back or does it also cover the back seats when folded down. I'm just finalizing details, not sure if i want the cargo liner. Nice job on oil changes
  • elizasmom1elizasmom1 Member Posts: 19
    Brown's Fairfax Mazda sold it to us. They were VERY nice to deal with. I was glad to have agreed to an out-the-door price before I got there. When we sat down to sign the contract, they had forgotten to take out the $300 dealer fee (which had been waived). I was able to spot the error right away because the bottom line was off from what the agreement was. I fully believe it was an honest mistake though (the fee was preprinted on their form and had to be scratched out for us), and they corrected it right away Please let me know how your experience is.
  • justpickinjustpickin Member Posts: 2
    I meant to say, almost $450 below invoice BEFORE adding the $500 zoom zoom certificate.

As for the Cargo Liner. It's in the accessory catalog obtainable at the dealership. They had to order it so I haven't seen it yet. It looks like it covers the back of the 3rd row seats and the cargo floor. I have a dog so it's a necessity. I do wish I would have ordered front splash guards and I may do that soon.

I would take your offer and email it to as many dealers in your area as possible. See who is willing to budge. It's the end of the year and they just aren't moving many cars, they admitted it to me. In 2.5 hours, I was the only customer in the dealership and I only went in to sign papers.

I thought for sure I would end up buying where I test drove. They ended up having the second worse offer. They think they have you because you might be loyal. But I realized it and I got a MUCH better deal because of it. S-Plan right now should just be a starting point. Put the deal out there to everyone as almost every dealer was willing to go invoice or at least $100 under, several in the $300+ under range. Let invoice be your starting point and I bet you can do better. This probably won't work after the 1st of the year but until then, I would try to work it a bit more.

Good Luck!
  • northdennisnorthdennis Member Posts: 6
    Even better deal you got, well done. Still negotiating on mine. Started at 1000 over invoice, then 400, then 300, now at invoice, I have been talking to a couple of others and playing this information. I'm definitely not committed to this dealer, so I will keep working on it until end of year. Time is my friend. Lastly, your assuming it covers 3rd row, please send pictures, dimensions or anything else you can find on it. I don't have pets, but like the idea. I have Sub Wagon with one and view it as a requirement. Keep me posted.
  • smolinsmolin Member Posts: 1
    just got my mazda5 sport with no options for $17186 before title and license. bought from Herzog-Meier in Beaverton, and they made it a reasonably pleasant process.
  • konthaijeenkonthaijeen Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Mazda5 with Auto tran in Touring on the 30th at $19,259 - $500 rebate + tax and registration fees. :shades:
  • txf23txf23 Member Posts: 5
    :) I bought a sport basic model with auto transmission on 01/02/2006 with $17436 with a $500 off from a so called S-plan. Good deal, excellent car. Love it. :blush:
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    Was that 17426 before TTL? I have the S-plan, too--for most models it gets you well over $1000 off. (For example, on the Mazda6 sport wagon base model, it gets you $1792 off.) How come you only got $500 off with the S-plan for the Mazda5?
  • batmickbatmick Member Posts: 17
    and it is the best and most fun car we have ever had!

We got a black Sport model with auto trans for $19400 OTD.

Probably could have gotten it for even less ($19k) but we suck at haggling.

However, the buying experience at Cush Mazda in Escondido was great. Not pushy at all and very helpful.
  • smileyzoomsmileyzoom Member Posts: 5
    We are ready to buy a Touring w/ manual trans. Has anyone had an experience with a dealer they'd care to share? I'm willing to travel out of Charleston, SC if your suggestions warrant.
  • wreineckewreinecke Member Posts: 13
    Stokes has a much larger selection. Palmetto has one touring on the lot. I ended up buying from Palmetto since they were closer to my home.
  • smileyzoomsmileyzoom Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I figured that Stokes would. How was Palmetto to work with? Did they give you decent service?
  • wreineckewreinecke Member Posts: 13
    The service was good. I insisted that I only deal with the salesman - no manager, finance manager, cute girl, etc. Just the salesman from start to finish. They complied with my request. I hate getting "upped". He was a good guy and met most of my demands. Makes me feel like I left money on the table :)
  • terpomterpom Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to go test drive and start negotiating in a few days. What is the S-plan?? Also, how do you get the Gerber rebate? Is that still available. Thanks
  • terpomterpom Member Posts: 3
    Just to let people know. We bought a Mazda 5 yesterday.
    Touring- automatic- platinum silver
    18,759 +TTL, so it was out the door for around 20,500.
    All negotiation was done via email and phone. 2 dealers were underbidding each other. I was worried that when we got down there that they may try to add something on, and made it clear on the phone before we went that we would leave if they tried that. It was all on the up and up and a very quick transaction.
    This was at putnam mazda, burlingame, california
  • rpmcrpmc Member Posts: 1
    Thought I'd share my pricing info as well.

Touring, automatic, carbon gray
    Negotiated the price down to $18,850, which included a $250 off a purchase coupon on dealer website. Out the door at ~$20,150 (5% sales tax, ~$350 registry fees).
    Very, very quick transation. Even the finance negotiation went well.

Out of curiousity, I sent in my info for a dealer to contact me via mazda.com. Two of the dealers (to be left unnamed) sent stock emails. The third contacted me via phone and email, with a link to the $250 off coupon. They got my business.

This was at 128 Imports, Wakefield, MA.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Good deal. That's what we paid for our Phantom Blue 5 speed manual Touring last fall. It's also good to hear that they are still selling the 5 in New England, because in the past few weeks when I have driven past our Hartford, CT Mazda dealer they have not had a single Mazda 5 either on the lot or in the showroom, (nor have we seen any on the roads for that matter), and the local papers advertise all Mazda models except the M5!? I was beginning to think they had ceased selling them in New England. And frankly I'm surprised, because the car is so great in so many ways - people just don't know what they are missing.
  • bsdearbornbsdearborn Member Posts: 7
    Hi, Could someone please tell me what the s-plan is and how to get on it?

Thanks
  • mayorcoolmayorcool Member Posts: 6
    I'm having a lot of trouble finding a Touring 5 speed with any options besides wheel locks. Is there much difference between a base M5 touring and a M5 sport w/ the popular equipment package and moon roof? I'd really like to find a 5 speed with navagation and the DVD entertainment system for the kids, but I've been doing 150 mile radius searches in about every major city in the southeastern US with no luck at all.
    Thanks
  • poohbah75poohbah75 Member Posts: 41
    As far as I know the only difference between the two options you outlined above would be the automatic climate control, which is standard on the Touring models but not included in the popular equipment package.
    Don't get too bummed, but I haven't heard of any dealer who has a great selection of MZ5s. I haven't heard of any DVD systems on vehicles in the lots so far, unless anyone knows differently. They aren't installed in the factory, but somewhere in the US. Someone posted that they get installed in the receiving port, but I would imagine they get installed by the dealers (if they are available at all). Good luck in your search.
    Don't forget about the fold out tray in the second row of the Touring. You can't get it in the Sport. ;)

We searched long and hard before we found our Touring with Nav in an acceptable color for my wife.

I think the Mazda 5 supply pipeline is finally flowing again in the aftermath of the recall last year.
  • rlyonrlyon Member Posts: 57
    Here in Orlando, Fl, there are two Mazda dealers with at least 10 5s at each lot. Like one of every color, 1/4 with Nav, 1/4 Sport. I was told the DVD is dealer installed, as are most options other then Nav. Hopefully I can pick one up next month ;)
  • mayorcoolmayorcool Member Posts: 6
    I'm also in Orlando. I went to the dealership down by the Florida Mall and they had only one 5 speed sport (no tourings) in that ugly greensilver metallic color. The salesman said he'd be happy to order one for me, but it should be about a 3 month wait. I was planning on stopping by the dealership (Star Mazda?) up on 17-92 tonight to see what they have. Maybe the MazdaUSA website inventory isn't up to date? I'm really curious about the features of the DVD..hope to talk to someone who has one before I make a decision on it. Thanks :D
    We don't have the factor/port/dealer install DVD on our touring and I'm not sure I want one mounted on the roof.

I'm concerned about the placement of the DVD screen due to the location of the sunroof. I think a ceiling mounted DVD player would be placed too far back due to the sunroof and force the 2nd row passenger to look almost straight up to see it.

I'm planning on getting a dual screen portable DVD player whose screen can be strapped to the back of the front seat head rest.
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    And I believe the TPMS only comes on Tourings with Nav.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'm planning on getting a dual screen portable DVD player whose screen can be strapped to the back of the front seat head rest.

I actually don't know why anyone would get the ceiling version, when you can get the portable ones so cheap and give everyone their own.
  • poohbah75poohbah75 Member Posts: 41
    Sorry, I forgot about that one. Not to mention the moonroof, body-color side mirrors, and fog lamps (all standard on the Touring). :blush:
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    past few weeks when I have driven past our Hartford, CT Mazda dealer they have not had a single Mazda 5 either on the lot or in the showroom

There is a good reason the dealer in Hatford doesnt have any...they went out of busines and no longer have the Mazda or Mitsubishi franchises.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Well that would explain it! I'm glad I got mine before they went out of business. Too bad though, it was an easy location for me.
    Have you already gotten your tags and registration? There has been a saga in the local paper about how the local Hyundai dealership went out of business and sold it to another company. But the old owners didn't bother registering with the DMV any of the cars they sold right before the transaction and chose to pocket the $$'s instead.
    Really? Wow, a lot has changed in 2-3 weeks since I was last there (Classic). They had a row of 5s at least 8 of them. I drove by 4 days ago and hey had two on display by the road. I drove by Corey Fairbanks (17-92) not a week ago and they had at least 10 in the back behind the fences.
    If Mazda designed the DVD player to mount with a sun roof then I'm not concerned. Also, a portable one is limited to use and doesn't look neat with straps and wires hanging around. It also acts a as radio player, MP3 player etc and then neatly tucks away out of site.
    Not having seen the factory option DVD system, I can't speak to it's ability to play radio, MP3, etc.

I do know that the DVD system wasn't an option when I first started looking at Mazda5 back in the summer. It showed up on the option sheet about a month before we bought ours in November.

I like the portable unit, becase...it's portable. ;) So when we get to the hotel after a long road trip, I can bring it into the hotel room to let my 2 yr old watch his DVD's while dad takes a nap. It's also a great way to keep him entertained during cross country flights.
    I wouldn't get the factory unit, too expensive. If I get the 5, I'm looking after market for my DVD player. They come with 2 headphones, remote, AV inputs for video games and video camera, play CDs have TV turners, and radio tuners, etc for $500 or so. We don't do the hotel thing and only travel 3-4 times a year where the portability isn't really needed. However, if you didn't know, some overhead units pop out of the base and become portable :)