Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• elmo33elmo33 Member Posts: 3
    Cardinal Red Touring - AT with NAV
    Options: Auto-Dim Mirror, Bumper Step Plate, Roofrack
    Bought from Brown's Mazda/Alexandria,VA for $21500
    Worked out the pricing through emails. Got through the buying process without too much sales pitch or pressure to get the extra warranty or service packages.

One thing I didn't like was they couldn't give me an exact delivery time for the roofrack. Still waiting for it.
  • paulb5paulb5 Member Posts: 7
    All Candian dollars.
    $23,038.60 includes $105 met. paint charge, a/c, cargo net, bumber guard, touch-up paint, and wheel locks + $1390 Fght/PDI. Waived satellite radio which represents $200 off in price above. Leased it at 3.4% over 36 months - 20k/yr">. Put $4000 down as security deposit to get rate down, but deposit is returned at the end. First month, Gas & Air taxes ($175), loan lien fee of $37.67, License Fee ($25), and $265 for window tinting plus taxes paid on delivery.
    Dealership: Kieswetter Mazda in Kitchener, Ontario
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    Alright! Another Mazda5 owner in Northern, VA

:)
  • menmy5menmy5 Member Posts: 12
    Just got a gray 5 in Harrisburg PA. 5 spd Touring with wheel locks for 18,468 (invoice minus $100 plus $237 ad fee).
  • elmo33elmo33 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah! So far i've only seen 2 Mazda5s on the road.
    In over six months of ownership, I've only seen five other Mazda5's. Three on the roads around Leesburg and interestingly enough, one in the parking garage at work and one parked on the street right next to my office in Herndon.
  • ansatzjpansatzjp Member Posts: 6
    This past Monday I purchased a Mazda5/Sport/Automatic in Boston area.

+ base invoice: $ 16,326
    + automatic: $ 810
    + destination: $ 560
    + boston assessment fee: $ 218 (a legit. regional ad fee.)
    - college rebate: $ 500
    - trade-in: $ 3,320

Basically, I purchased the car at invoice price at Mazda Gallery (Norwood, MA) and the total out-of-pocket price including tax everything was $ 15K.

I could have gotten a better deal at Wellesley Mazda ($ 400 below invoice), but I got a much better price for my trade-in at Mazda Gallery.

Overall, a very friendly, easy-going transaction at Mazda Gallery. High recommended.
  • esp1esp1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Mazda5, Touring, AT, that was a dealer car. The car has about 5000 miles on it and, even though it's never been titled, the dealer is selling it as certified pre-owned which ups the warranty significantly. They've offered it to me at $18,450, which seems like a good deal to me -- any other thoughts? (I'm in Texas, btw.)
    Also, has anyone else on here considered or had experience with the Honda Element? That's the other car I'm considering. (I know these seem different, but it's a capacity/flexibility thing for me, not 6 passenger seating.)
    Thanks for your help.
  • kellysnykellysny Member Posts: 5
    I bought the exact same car near austin for 18,800 brand new. i think they should give you more off it. apparently the first 600 miles you're supposed to take it easy driving it to break the car in - the manual suggests this - and you don't know if they did that or not. there might be incentives on the '06 soon with the '07s coming out. just my .02!

i looked at the element too, but visibility was a problem for me on it. i have a friend who loves hers though. there was an article about the element in the austin-american statesman a month or so ago...
    http://www.statesman.com/search/content/life/stories/cars/05/6element.html

love the mazda5, by the way!
  • esp1esp1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Could you tell me which dealer you got yours at? I'm in Austin. (You can e-mail me directly if you don't want to post.)
    The extra-long warranty does add value and I think there are a couple of other dealer extras on the car (privacy glass, etc.). Going to see it tomorrow, so I'll have a better idea then.

Thanks again.
  • sparceesparcee Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know when to expect them and pricing changes from 2006?

Thanks,
    SparcEE
  • kellysnykellysny Member Posts: 5
    got it in georgetown...

i don't know anything about an extra long warranty so yeah that might make it worthwhile for you...

i didn't have ANY luck at roger beasley central, they wouldn't budge. but georgetown would (even though it's the same dealership) and they were very nice about it - they had a bunch of them on the lot which probably helped.
    it's not too far out, one exit past round rock. good luck!
  • takasumitakasumi Member Posts: 4
    I had a negative experience with Stamford Mazda in CT. I had tested two vehicles, a 3 and a 5, and had settled on the 5 Grand Touring in Black. After reading the forums here I went into the dealership with bank check in hand and asked my salesperson that I had dealt with the prior day to explain to me what the situation is with the A/C problem in the 3s and 5s. My salesperson (who had been with the dealer since 04) claimed that there were no problems with the A/C that he was aware of. It smelled fishy and I told him so. He brought in the chief mechanic, who also claimed that he had not heard of any problems. This guy was really shifty. He wouldn't look me in the eye and I got the feeling that something was up. (On further discussion, he said he hadn't seen any A/C complaints since he had been with the dealer since September, as in over the winter...). Either they really don't know of any problems or they were lying straight to my face. Either way, I began losing confidence in the reliability of this particular dealership. To seal the coffin, I had been going through the Costco buyer program. I was told verbally that their mark-up for Costco buyers on the Mazda5 was $500 which would have put the car at just over the TMV. This was fine by me but I asked (as instructed at the by the Costco website and rep that I spoke with beforehand) to see the Costco member only pricing sheet. Instead of complying with this simple request, the salesman first tried to convince me that a print-out of my email request (which had no figures on it) was what I was asking for, and then said that no one ever asked for this. (??) I wasn't really that suspicious that they would outright lie to me about the Costco member price, but nevertheless I insisted on seeing it in writing. The sales manager eventually came out with a out-of-date (i.e. expired) sheet with lots of cross-outs and markings that did indeed have 500 as the mark-up. The final straw, however, was when I asked to see an invoice of the vehicle I wanted (which would be brought in from another dealer), and they claimed that I needed to put a downpayment to get the invoice. Again, I was almost positive that they were telling me the correct invoice price, and I had no problem with it (since I could see the invoice right on the computer screen when he looked up the vehicle), but the invoice differed from my Edmunds report by $300 for the same options and I wanted to understand the difference. I pushed back and said I would not make a downpayment. I asked why getting this type of information from them on paper was like pulling teeth and at this point the salesmanager (politely) told me that I was basically calling them all liars (true enough), and that they didn't need my business. Well, we both got what we wanted in the end.

I don't have any problems with their sales tactics; I was originally shown a higher price but all negotiation tricks ended after they found out that I would buy through the Costco program. They were helpful, and generally informed about the car. But in the end I didn't trust them. I haven't decided yet if I wil still buy a Mazda but this experience has certainly soured my view on the company.

As an amusing aside, my salesperson told me I'd have a lot of trouble buying a car on the way out. Uh. No.

Incidentally I bought a BMW X5 two years ago in about two hours. I paid well over invoice, but still feel happy about my purchase because I felt I was being dealt with honestly and fairly.

I reported all this to Costco. I think I will learn what the markup is on this model. I'd be shocked if they tried to give me an inflated mark-up since it's so easy to verify, but I'll certainly report here if they did.
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    Tak

You've just described a car dealership at its worst. The good news is, it's not the absolute worst. I've heard stories where the sales people were liars, and the customer ended up getting ripped off.

Unfortunately, the dealership can be a reflection of the automaker. Not always, but often enough. Since the Mazda lineup has great cars, maybe consider a different dealer.

One thing that caught my attention was that the service manager denied having any knowledge about the A/C. Usually, when customers share common complaints on discussion forums, the dealer service centers have also received the problem. If you're ever at a dealership, and the sales and service people deny any knowledge of a problem that everybody else knows about, ask them to contact the automaker's headquarters and find out. Then, indicate it--even if you have to hand write it-on your contract. If they refuse to include that, you know you have some dishonest and crooked folks.
  • pauld2pauld2 Member Posts: 1
    Automobile sales personell are not dogs... and there are some potential customers who tend to treat them as such. I DO understand that a potential customer is on the defensive when they come in to purchase a vehicle, but when they are Costco customers the price is pre-determined...which makes the buying process very easy. Also, just because a Service Writer has a timid disposition it does not mean he is "shifty" I am sure that Stamford Mazda does need your business, but chooses NOT do do business with you in order to preserve their CSI...which by the way is the second highest in the Northeast region.
    People, being a civil person will get you the respect you deserve..and will get you alot more..and this goes in everyday life in whatever you do. Being rude,arrogant and calling someone a liar without knowing all the facts is not the way you should treat people.
    This person will never call the dealer back when he finds out that the price they quoted is in fact the Costco price, and he writes derogatory remarks abut the dealer.
    Stamford Mazda made the right decision NOT selling this man a vehicle...
  • cellneuroncellneuron Member Posts: 22
    Why so many complaints in this thread? Most other threads like mazda 3 and 6 are quite friendly and helpful. Come on guys, can we just back to our subject and talk about deals and buying experiences?

Is there anybody in PA got a good deal? Thanks.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    it seems they have decided to not sell you the car. the risk of a bad survey seems to have exceeded your value as a sale.....perhaps you should try another dealer.
    I think the policy is reasonable. Trading in a car from another dealer is risky if without the commitment from buyer.

As to the AC, I believe the problem is the AC itself, it's the location of the AC. The AC only work for the first row, it is difficult to cool down the third and second row. But I believe it is a designing problem, which can not be addressed by dealers.
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    All I can say is wow - I've been reading this thread with interest. I hope that all Mazda dealers are not like this one.

I think that it is good to post dealer experiences, good and bad - others can learn from them. I'm in the market for a Mazda5 and appreciate this forum for all the information.

How hard is it for a dealer to call another dealer and ask for a copy of an invoice to be faxed?

takasumi - why even bother with this dealer? - he doesn't appear to be straightforward with you. How can you trust him? He acts like he's doing you a favor to sell you a car.

As I recall (it was awhile ago), there are several customer satisfaction ratings. One relates to the buying experience, one relates to servicing, and there are several others. In any case, the indexes are different for each part of the dealership. When I was buying a car, I asked to see the indexes - the selling index wasn't as good as the service one. I ended up not buying a car from that dealer, but having it serviced there. My experience tracked the indexes.

David
  • ntron1ntron1 Member Posts: 2
    Wow,

First, there has been no TSB issued regarding the AC system. It appears to be functioning as designed with the majority of issues related to cabin volume vs. cooling capacity. This is a design issue that can not be addressed by the dealer until Mazda chooses to issue a TSB if they feel it is a real issue. Personally, my AC works fine but I can understand why some would feel it is weak.

Second, there may and I repeat may be an issue with the control head in the sutomatic climate control system. I have sent a message out but do not have an answer yet and frankly do not know if the issues are isolated and have not reached those responsible for the solutions. I do not have auto climate control so mine is fine.

Third, it is unfortunate that there appears to be a communication issue between buyers and sellers. From the outside, it looks like the buyer may have expected too much and the salesman was not as prepared as the buyer. A little more time and a little more patience from both parties may have served both of their interests.

Finally, the dealer does have the final say. they can choose to sell or not based on the ultimate value they will gain in the transaction. My father bought 8 cars from the same dealer and had every service done there. This was of great value to them therefor he had little trouble getting the dealers best price the first time. Dealers are in business to make a profit and are entitled to that. Buyers are trying to get the most value for their money and deserve nothing less. The unfortunate part is that neither party can apparently pick up the phone and conduct business like gentlemen and have to resort to public negotiation to try to prove they are not the bad guy. Perhaps the next post we will see is as simple as "We Made A Deal" or "We were unable to make it happen" without the finger pointing.

Cheers,

Peter C.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    I've had to delete quite a few posts for violation of our forum rules...

So, if the thread seems to not make sense, that may be why... :surprise:

Hopefully, all problems will be worked out in the end..

Regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

How hard is it for a dealer to call another dealer and ask for a copy of an invoice to be faxed.

Its not quite so simple...to the 'other dealer' the swap is a zero priority. many dealers, including myself, won't even take a swap call unless the other dealer needs the car 100%. Dealers also won't swap invoices and check availability until they determine that the other dealer has something they want in return, if not, no swap.....Dealers stock inventory for their dealerships not for other dealers to have a secondary lot to choose from.

often a dealer swap involves more negotiations (dealer to dealer)than the actual sale of the car.
  • cumadoggcumadogg Member Posts: 5
    Just not too pleased with the buying experience...First off, thanks to all those that post in the forum, i've been following this forum for a while and it has been very informative. I was looking to trade in my 04 MDX and the M5 fit the bill. I was did my research on edmunds and requested the dealers quotes. I ended up going to Legacy Mazda in Orem, Ut (about 30 minutes south of SLC, where I am) because the salesman I spoke to was very helpful over the phone, especially with what I was looking for on a trade-in. So I go down looking for a M5 Touring w/auto, which I was told beforehand over the phone that they had 2 on their lot, and when I get down there, the only have 1 on the lot, which is a sport model, but they do have a used touring w/nav. Well, about a three weeks earlier I had seen a used one on autotrader which I had bookmarked, but I had never looked at it since. So after working the deal on the trade-in, we decide on the used M5 touring w/nav in brilliant black. I felt pretty good about the price I paid, and I also felt lucky in my timing because the entire time, the salesman was talking how that 5 had just arrived on their lot 2 days prior. Well I get home and out of curiosity, I checked out my bookmarked M5 I had seen weeks earlier and sure enough, it was the one I had just purchased (same VIN) and to top it off, the autotrader asking price was 2K less than what I paid!!! Talk about frustrating! :mad: Oh well, I still love the car and am happy with the purchase, it just makes me leary of honesty of the dealership! And to top it off, its been almost 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten me my second key that I was promised. Good thing there are other dealers closer to me.
    Does anyone here has any inside information about any possible promotion in July? I want to buy a mazda 5, but I am wondering maybe Mazda will have a discount program in July. There are a lot of Mazda in my local stores, which indicates that Mazda 5 may not sell very well.

Thanks
    Best regards
  • mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    Mazda5 models sell very well across the United States with a minimal margin from invoice to MSRP. Total value in the vehicle is one of the best motivations to purchase.

The dealerships are kept in the dark, just like consumers, regarding future incentives or programs... that's just smart business by the manufacturer.

Selection is dwindling while your waiting to possibly save a few hundred bucks(maybe none). Get your Mazda5 now if it's the right move for you to make. :shades:

ZOOM ZOOM
    You could check to see if Mazda is running the Mazda Rev It Up event again this year. For the past three years, Mazda sponsored a driving event in the summer to introduce their new car models. I think the first year was for the Mazda6, then the Mazda3, and last year was for the new MX-5.

Anyhow, at these events, the participants get a $500 coupon good towards the purchase of any Mazda. I used one to buy my Mazda5 last year.
  • egarcia1egarcia1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Touring M5 from Arlington Mazda in VA. Paid $18560 and they took my Protege5 at $10000. This is the second car I've bought from them and have been very satisfied with their service. Had to wait a few days since they did not have the Cardinal Red in stock but overall it was worth it. :D
    Has anyone bought any of the extra stuff that is usually offered, i.e., extended warranty, underbody protection, interior protection, lo-jack system, etc..? What are your experiences or thoughts? :confuse:
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What was the year/mileage of the Protege5 you traded?
    The 2003 Protege5 only had about 31000 miles on it. It was not driven too much. But I think that trend will change with the new M5.
    Hey! Another Mazda5 owner in Northern VA!

:)
  • jh_on_the_capejh_on_the_cape Member Posts: 3
    I couldnt find it on the mazda site, but are they doing the recent college grad $500 discount anymore?
  • mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    Mazda's College Grad Program/Rebate ended in it's last form in July of 2005.

There is no current Mazda College Grad Program/Rebate available at this time.

ZOOM ZOOM
  • jh_on_the_capejh_on_the_cape Member Posts: 3
    thanks for replying...

if mazda does some sort of promotion this summer, i might go check out the 5.
    I did check with my local mazda dealer. Yes, mazda still has the $500 college discount, but the conditiones have been changed. You must be enrolled in college or graduate school to be qualified. You won't be qualified if you graduate even one day before you trigger the purchase.

I am not qualifed any more.
    for sure?? Is he is part of some pilot/test program?? no college grad program in my region.
    I am pretty sure. I did my test drive there and talked about the price. But I also found it is not available nationwide. Bay area in CA has it.
  • takasumitakasumi Member Posts: 4
    I never would have expected that this experience could have resulted in a POSITIVE buying experience given the terrible start. To make a long story short, after a few phone exchanges we agreed to give things a second shot. Coincidentally, the Stamford dealership just got in stock the exact vehicle spec/color that I wanted. Without my prompting, the dealer stepped up and proposed a price even lower than the Costco price (invoice+300) (when has this ever happened?). It may have been small gesture but made me feel that we were on the same page and I decided that I could live with the ordinary factory warranties, etc. as long as I could see and test the vehicle. I think both parties realized that we may have been, well childish, I guess is the word, and we thought it was better to try to make a deal that would keep make us both happy. After a brief review of the invoice and options (where he offered to reduce the price by another $40 without me asking because there was an option I didn't want), we closed the and I picked the car up the next day. My original salesman gave us the final demo, and was gracious and helpful to the end. I am certainly pleased with the vehicle and I am confident that I will continue to see good service from this dealership as long as I own the vehicle. If I can be turned around to give Stamford Mazda a POSITIVE recommendation, I think that says a lot about how much they value their customers and reputation. Good luck.
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    Just about to end a nightmare experience with a Ford Freestyle and saw a Mazda5 in the mall parking lot. We have 2 small children, dog and always seems to have alot of gear.

Can the 4 cylinder auto handle the family or is the best bet the manual? It seems to be roomy inside.....does it have room for 3 in the back seat if you have 2 child seats??

Any feedback is appreciated.......
    We have a touring auto and haven't found any problems keep up with traffic.

We also have two kids and we usually keep the last row seat folded down to store the dual stroller, diaper bag, and other kids related stuff. My wife can still manage to find enough space in the back for a trip to Costco and Target.

We've also taken the car on a 500+ miles road trip to Pittsburgh and back, and the car performed great.

As for 3 in a row in the back, I don't think it will work. There is only two sets of seat belt in each row of seats, and with two car seats in one of the back row, there isn't any room for a 3rd person.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    just picked up a used 06 mazda5 with 8k mi for 14.9k+TTL. it is a sport, 5spd, moonroof, and popular equip package. figured we saved about 3k by buying this used one instead of a new one... what do you think of the price? the drive is great, just like my prior mazda6...
  • tikaltikal Member Posts: 7
    Any positive/negative experiences buying the Mazda 5 in the Houston, TX area? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • scorpion509scorpion509 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought car today will pick it up tomorrow.
    we selected Mazda5 Touring model. and got $18,500 price ( doesn't include taxes and etc) which include destination charge. but we were limited in colors :( only black. :cry:
    even though we bought it I still don't know if Touring play mp3 discs. hope will find out tomorrow.
  • tikaltikal Member Posts: 7
    "Just bought car today will pick it up tomorrow.
    we selected Mazda5 Touring model. and got $18,500 price ( doesn't include taxes and etc) which include destination charge. but we were limited in colors only black. even though we bought it I still don't know if Touring play mp3 discs. hope will find out tomorrow."

Is this for the Mazda5 Touring with automatic transmission?
  • evpedevped Member Posts: 39
    I just purchased in CT for a great price. $8500 and my 03 Accord with 90,000 miles on it. Out the door for a new 5 Touring(5M). This price includes all fees and taxes. So far the car is enjoyable, a lot for the money.
  • rriulrriul Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I live in Chicago area and am in the market for M5.

I got a quote on a M5 touring model with Mazda S plan.

The options I have are as follows
    o auto trans
    o auto dimm mirror with compass
    o rear bumper step
    o cargo net
    o wheel locks

MSRP including dest charge is $20,715. With S plan, dealer quoted me at $19,303.

Is it a good price to buy or I shall look for somewhere else?

Thanks! :)
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    We were given a quote for the GT model in carbon grey with manual trans, climate control, all-weather mats, and the upgraded stereo of $CDN27,110 in Edmonton. That is a total to drive it off the lot. How does that compare to other Canadian prices?

I can't believe that in this day where a Canadian dollar is about 90 US cents that the price differential between our countries for vehicles is so large. Essentially up here we are paying a lot more for the same vehicle.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    S Plan is dealer invoice. S Plan has to be filed, and sold how it is set on the invoice. It will be the same price from dealer to dealer. If you were to obtain better savings, it would be only because a dealer would go below invoice, or there are fees that one dealer has that another does not.

I would take the S Plan. It is as simple as it can get.
  • phantomblue5phantomblue5 Member Posts: 1
    I love it! I got the Touring package with the Nav system (which is very cool, easy to use and keeps me from getting lost!)for $21,500 total. That included $400 to have it driven from Florida to SC. No one here had the phantom blue (beautiful color BTW!) so we bought it by phone! We did not get the college rebate even though my husband would have qualified. They are not offering the rebate now in this market.

We are getting 25 mpg and I have already put 1000 miles on it (2 road trips so far). It is perfect for our family of 4 (boys are ages 10 and under).

Great car for the money!
  • paulb5paulb5 Member Posts: 7
    riproy,
    see my post - #316

We paid $23,038.60 on a GT manual trans includes a/c, cargo net, bumber guard, touch-up paint, and wheel locks Fght/PDI.

We waived the satellite radio promo at the time which took another $200 off and we got a $200 trade-in, both in price above. Gas & Air taxes extra ($175)

We opted for the base radio - wanted like $600 or $700 for the 6-disc/MP3 - too much considering you can get an iPod for a few hundred and do the same.

Dealership: Kieswetter Mazda in Kitchener, Ontario