Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dr_whodr_who Member Posts: 8
    Thanks x5sav. Yes, the $16.9 includes the $300 cash back from Mazda. The $16.9 was the first price that was given to me. How low can I expect to be able to reasonably go?

Also --though the I know the financing arrangements should be negotiated separately from the selling price-- I figure the 0% financing is worth ~$1400 in interest that I can earn in a 5% money market account during the term of the loan.
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    Consider I can get $850 below invoice on my touring. I am sure you can try to have dealer discount the car $500 more. Good Luck. ;)
  • castroncastron Member Posts: 1
    Hi, bought mine yesterday. Saved 1000$ from MSRP on a 2007 Mazda5 GT Gray Manual Transmission with A/C. MSRP was 24100$cnd. Paid 23100$cnd. This is excluding Freight/PDI, taxes and everything else. Bought in Montreal/Qc area. Good luck and thanks to everyone on this forum.
  • bargainshopperbargainshopper Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for something a little different and ended up after quite a bit of research deciding on a Mazda5 - trading up from a sedan now that we've had the baby.

Picked up the car today - Phantom Blue Sport with optional moonroof and 6 disc changer, popular equiptment package and automatic transmission. Paid $17750 plus TTL - got $500 over KBB for my trade, very friendly service.

Worked with three Mazda dealerships in the Tampa area getting price quotes, etc. Ferman Mazda was definitely the winner - the sales manager at one of the other dealers (a new dealership in town with a 'WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD' guarantee) told me, "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do - I'll take a loss on a car but I have no idea why they're selling it to you this cheap. If it turns out to be a bait and switch or something funny, come and see us, but if it's really that price we can't touch it."

Nothing funny here - just 0% financing, $1800 below invoice, and a great experience at Ferman Mazda of Brandon, FL.
  • dr_whodr_who Member Posts: 8
    No Options. Total OTD price was $17,800 (including full tank of gas) in SE Wisconsin. 0% financing, no money down. Probably could have dickered another few hundred off, but am happy with the purchase. From arriving at the dealer, took about three hours (including test drive time) to complete the deal.

On another note, I filled up the tank (at the dealer's expense) after leaving the lot, drove 100 miles of mostly highway driving, filled up again and could only get 2.544 gallons in the tank. I know that 100 miles and 2.5 gallons isn't enough to be statistically significant, but 100/2.544 = 39+ mpg for a first estimate is better than the 15~17 mpg I get with my Ford full-size van by a long shot.

Thanks to internet research (including, especially, this forum), I got the car I expected and am very happy with it on day 1. We'll see how the next 10 years go...
  • twoforlunchtwoforlunch Member Posts: 1
    I am interested. May I ask what color it is and are you a non-smoker?
    C Taylor
  • roger24roger24 Member Posts: 2
    Test drove both AT and MT of Mazda5, and found the power is sufficient even with three adults and two children on board. I am 5'9, the leg room is ok for me at all three rows. The only issue is the head room at the 3rd row is a little bit too tight for me as my hair can touch the roof from time to time.

As for the price, I was so suprised when the dealer gave me about $21.5k OTD for a MT touring. I tried to negotiate, but he insisted he only made $500 with that price. I am in NJ, and the tax rate is 7%. I am confused now. For those of you who bought around $18k to 19k OTD, did you get that quote at the beginning or after a lot of negotiation? Many thanks. :confuse:
    Wow, $21.5K for a MT touring is very expensive. I use the internet quote method. Go to www.mazdausa.com locate your vehicle and then send out quote request to all the dealers that show up at your zip code. Good Luck. (FYI, I got an AT Touring for $20k OTD. I am in CA and my tax rate is 8.25%). :)
  • roger24roger24 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, x5sav. Is there any option in your AT touring? I just want to figure out my target price for negotiation.
    No option on mine. Just a regular 07 Mazda5 Touring atuomatic. Good Luck. :)
  • kukareka1kukareka1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, roger24!
    I'm in NJ and in the process of getting Mazda5 touring with AT too. I'd done 2 important things before I went to a dealer: 1. I got internet quotes thru Edmunds.com and received 4 offers 2. did calculations with price/destination/tax/fees for each deal(0%-36mos, 2.9%-48 mos, etc) for both Invoce and MSRP. Then I went to a dealership closer to the worst hill and requested a test-drive. I liked the car, so we sat to talk. They pushed for MSRP, but once I showed them 2nd from the best offers, they called a manager. We deliberated for an hour, I disagreed on trade-in value, way less than what I expected. At least it was my way out (I left, let them come back to me).
    I'm planning to go to the dealership #1 on my list and get the car.
    My advices to you are: do the homework and stick to the numbers you like, don't let them stir you to "how much can you afford per month" for example, or how about "X number per month". Check with your calculations and see how much they screw your pocket and then tell them "how about this number". You have to fight, since the money is coming out of your pocket anyway! Lastly, read tips from Edmunds regarding MSRP and Invoce.
    I hope this helps!
    Good luck!
  • jojo718jojo718 Member Posts: 7
    Have negotiated a price 600/ under cost. I am supposed to be picking up a 2007 Sport .. auto, pop.pkg, mats , locks and net for 17,955 plus TTL. Will be doing the 5.9 for 6 years.

Was wondering if anyone was approached with bogus fees I should look out for in the financing papers ... i.e. bank fees, aquisition, etc.??? :confuse:

Please advise if you are aware. Thanx for all the posts. Feel free to comment on the deal as well. I had considered waiting but have contacted several dealers in NYC and 600 under was the best offer over the phone/internet. I went to one to close the deal, he vehicle in question was scuffed :mad: so I decided to wait for them to locate another.

The 08's are not going to be available until November as per MAZDAUSA. The financing will probably rise at that point -- if you know better please share....

So I will be picking up Tuesday, but am willing to make an educatd decision against if the facts are in my favor to not go thru with it.

JJ
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Great post, have you considered putting this in the smart shopper area? I had a Toyota dealership try to charge me $689.00 for dealer prep.
    I've actually worked out a deal that I should be driving this Tuesday --- Mazda5 Touring --- 600.oo under invoice and no charges whatsoever, not even doc fee. No points on the finance either. I advise anyone reading these posts to take notes, get a financial calculator and save as much as possible.
    Side note --- If you do not reach the same final # as the F&I person using the finance calc., they are hiding fees and lying about it. They tried it with me as well. There are no other ways to reach a final # than entering the following information --- loan amount + term + interest rate = payment

or any combination of the 3 to figure out the 4th.

i.e.
    5,000 loan amount
    5 year term
    4.9 % interest rate ( current Mazda program )
    = 94.13 payment for 60 months/5 years

you can multiply this in your head for ruff #'s when negotiating
    10k = 188.25/mo
    20k = 376.51/mo
    30k = 564.76/mo
    etc.

Figure 95.00 for every 5k you finance with good credit.
    They'll hate that you know this.....
    Too bad :sick:

As far as posting this in the smart shopper area??? :confuse:
    Not sure where this is, please advise or feel free to repost. This is not about getting credit for posting as much as trying to do some good. Thanx for your comment. :shades:
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    If you click on the browse by board you'll see the smart shopper area, just click on that and it will bring up another page that shows all the topics for that area. There's one called buying tips where you could post the information there. The information might get noticed more there. Again thanks for taking the time to post those useful tips.
    I boasted about the great deal I was recently given, it was at "Giuffre Mazda". I had told them they should expect many Tri-staters to see them after my write up. The power of positive consumer feedback can really bring them some real business. Not thousands of ads. Real buyers who were happy with the experience.

So, the story unfolds.
    I was originally told they had Mazda5 08's in stock already, by the internet department --- LYE #1

When I got there they told me it was an oversite. They then had a 2 hour debate as to why I should let them profit "x" amount on our deal for an 07' Sport. I walked out and was chased down by the Sales Manager, let's call him "Iggy" for lack of real names. He told me he would honor the deal for $600.oo under invoice @ 5.9% for 6 years ( current Mazda program). I said fine, let's write it. The car had several scratches on 3 corner fenders-- not acceptable, looked like a bumper car. They then told me they would locate another one; I gave them a 200. deposit (bad move) . Iggy called me 2 days later to finalize the deal -- the car was scratched again :confuse: --- only one side now, but deep. Told them I would let them try to fix it, but release my deposit. They did ( so, I thought) LYE #2
    The condition was that the car look 100% new after the painting and I would still accept it. When it did return it looked as if they spent 20.oo on some spraypaint that had a run in the paint and looked like I had an accident before ever having driven the car, bumpy --- bad finish - I have pictures of this too :mad: --- We ripped up my contract. I spoke with another manager this time --- let's say his name is very similar to the nick-name we have given "coffee", rymes with Moe.

Told him I would accept the other 5 'Touring' they had in stock in place of the original and I would pay the difference. "No Problem" as per this manager. LYE#3

This morning I recieve a phone call from IGGY stating that I can go "Ph k myself and my deposit was burnt". Those were his actuall words. I called VISA to fight this and also called the other Manager amd told him that "I am no longer in High School and don't have time for the "owner's son's attitude", if they want to deliver this car - keep him out of my deal and I'll pretend it never happened --- he told me he was aware of the problem and would call me back in 10 minutes --- never did. Waiting on VISA's call about my deposit dispute --- should have been released 5 days ago as per IGGY.

I'm not writing this to vent, as much as to notify the on-line public, that "is as serious about buying a new car as they are about how they are treated during the process." about a Brooklyn dealer that does not deserve the opportunity to ruin your new car experience.

Use your own discretion,
    I would avoid this place like a plague.

Ultimately, I am taking this as a sign and staying with my X3 lease, never had a problem with customer service. "IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T TRY AND FIX IT"

Hope all the info I shared helps someone, or at least helps them avoid this type of treatment. :mad: ">
  • w00000tw00000t Member Posts: 23
    I got a 2006 automatic transmission sport (cd changer, power windows and locks, etc...) in almost brand new condition. It had 22k miles on it but brand new wheels and a flawless carfax report (Which was given free). The price on the window was $16,900 but Larry Whicker over at Larry Whicker Motors of Kernersville, N.C. sold it to me for $15,000 out the door :) I didn't have to haggle either. I just called and asked what he would do for it out the door and he answered and I snagged the car up less than an hour later.
  • kukareka1kukareka1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my Mazda5 Touring a month ago from Wayne Mazda, NJ. Straight forward deal and THE LOWEST (at invoice) price. No other Mazda dealerships got even closer. So if you are in tri-state area (NY-NJ-CT), this is the place to shop!
    Wayne Mazda is THE largest Mazda dealer in US and sells THE MOST number of vehichles per month/year (check reports with your local Mazda dealer), so they have substantial discounts from manufacturer. So their inventory is the largest! Don't believe this? I've checked at least 4 dealerships for the color I wanted, Crystal Mazda had 2 cars with price I did want to pay, and the other were waiting for the new ones to arrive in November. Wayne Mazda had at least 2 of any color. It was worth for me to drive 50 miles to get the price and color I wanted !!! I highly recommend Wayne Mazda!
  • patellis15patellis15 Member Posts: 2
    Well, it seems that no one in my area (5 dealers I've corresponded with now...) are ordering a GT with Sand Leather sans Navigation ssytem.

Any suggestions on increasing my bargaining position if I try to order one from one of these dealers? Can I play them off each other without the car existing in my area?
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Unfortunately (and fortunately) the car is not part of the 5 most wanted cars in the industry as Mazda claims. Unfortunately because there are no incentives for this car, fortunately because then you could use that to negotiate. I just got an 08 and it was pretty straightforward. In my case the sales guy knew well about the Mazda5 market in my area (Manual Transmission topped the list of potential issues) so it was easy to negotiate the right price based on the other models incentives. Don't forget to remind them that Jan and Feb as the incoming months as sales seem to be very slow during that time. That would be another incentive to sell a Mazda5 quickly :-)
  • jlsdas3jlsdas3 Member Posts: 2
    I was curious to know if anyone seats 5 in their Mazda5 on a regular basis. We are currently driving a Maszda Tribute (which I might add I love), but it does not have enough room for 3 carseats. Our children are 8,5,and one on the way. Will the Mazda5 be too small?? I would appreciate any comments that could help me decide what I should do.
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    That's right, I'm trading in my 2006 Mazda 5 Touring (which I bought in July 05, and was the first person in NY to purchase one - and, might I add, LOVE to pieces!) and getting a 2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring (Sunlight Silver with Black leather interior). I am buying it from Manhattan Mazda from a really nice guy named Frank. He is selling it to me at INVOICE!

I told him I didn't want to pay anything more than 24K OUT THE DOOR for the car and he is actually doing it. He's great! HIGHLY recommend this dealer and person for anyone shopping for a Mazda in New York.

Turns out I am losing out on 1K on the transaction. They're giving me 12K for my 06 - even though Kelly Blue Book and everywhere else says Trade-in value is at least 13K - but I have researched other dealers and stuff and they are all offering the same amount. So, if you add the 1K I have in "upside down" amount to the 24K out the door price for the 08, then it comes out to only 25K for me. I got a lower interest rate on my loan! So, my monthly payment will actually be lower than my current payment for a new and improved 08 GRAND Touring! I couldn't resist the deal!

So, yeah, I'm getting it tonight, and I'm pretty excited. Though, I am regretfully giving up my 06 5 that I called Max. He was my very first car ever, so I have a huge emotional attachment to it. But, I'm sure I'll have a huge emotional attachment to the new one, too! :shades: (Ooh, gotta think up a new name for the new one!)
    Best of luck and show some pics once you get it. Good thing you are not getting the copper red one, I've seen it in inventory everywhere. I also bought my 06 in July 05, very first around here for some time, and I should say that even with my 08 both are still very unique in the area (I only see one or so a week). 1k trade-in less is not too much, specially because is a trade-in. Never seen somebody really following the Blue Book to the cent.
    I've seen 3 cars seats in a Mazda5, so yes they fit, but it can be very tight, especially for long trips I would say (luggage, stroller, it adds up). Ideally to me is for 4 passengers, that leaves space for luggage. 5-6 passengers is OK but for short day trips or errands.

I'm not into SUVs, but Can you fit 3 car seats in the Tribute? My friend has one, but it seems small, possibly I'm mistaken.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was afraid that, even though it's only 1K, that I was still being somewhat duped. But, I checked around other places, and they were all offering about the same thing. That, plus the fact that the guy is selling it to me at invoice with none of the suspicious fees talked about in this forum, plus the fact that my friend has used him before, makes me feel comfortable with him.

I just like the fact that I'm getting a new one for like 40 something dollars less a month -and a GRAND touring at that! I had a Touring before - well, still, currently have. Man, I'm gonna miss Max! :cry:

Anyway, I'll do my best to take some pics and put them up here.
  • jlsdas3jlsdas3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input, the Tribute backseat isn't wide enough for 2 booster seats and a baby seat----was hoping that I wouldn't have to go back to driving a van--it makes me feel too old!! That's why I was interested in the Mazda5, anyway Mazda no longer does vans. My only other concern with the Mazda5 is that once my child is in the backseat there is no longer much cargo room, but more importantly, how safe is it in a rear-ender accident as her head is practically in the back window. If we only had 2 children, I would most certainly be interested, but I don't know how great it is for larger families.
    I know what you mean, that is why the Mazda5 made the top of the list (2 times indeed :)), it has many of the minivan features (sliding door for a garage or parking lot is just plain awesome) yet it drives, rides and handles great (including fuel economy). I know is not the same, but I would say an Odyssey would be in order?'

Tribute, that is what I guessed, bummer, it is a very decent SUV. I'm not into SUVs, but my friend loves it.
  • biogeobiogeo Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody managed to get/order 2008 Mazda 5 with MT in color other than gray, silver or red?

I tried to order blue 2008 Mazda5 with manual transmission (MT) today in local dealership (Columbus, OH). I was told that Mazda5 with manual transmission is only available in gray, silver or red. The 2008 Mazda5 brochure indeed states so as a footnote, but I can configure blue Mazda 5 with MT at mazdausa.com and I found three blue, two white, one black and one golden Mazda 5 with MT coming to dealerships in NY, WI, MN, MA. Is there difference in color options between state?
    It is somewhat ridiculous that with MT you are limited to just three colors. Moreover red comes with light upholstery which is not OK for me, so I am basically limited to gray and silver… not good.

George
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Not true. All colors available in the dc area and FYI despite Edmunds and Mazda5 website posting to the contrary, manual 5-speed is still available in the Touring model. For example their are two dealers in the DC area that have your blue, manual in the Touring model.

Here's the DC dealer link. Not particularly convenient to Columbus, but they are available.

http://www.mymazdadealer.com/MusaWeb/displayDealersByADI.action?adi=201&referrer- =www.mymazdadealer.com/dc&campId=3030&providertag=MazdaSEM&servicetag=TIER2DC&se- m=1
  • david2david2 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all,
    I'm considering buying/leasing a Mazda5, and there seems to be a leasing special going on right now. Should I rush in or patiently wait until I really need it (late Jan to mid Feb). Is year end really the best time?
    Thank you!
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Is it SOP for dealers to charge you the labor cost to add options onto the car you want buy? For example I agree to buy a car that does not include certain options that I desire, for example, Sirius radio The dealer tells me the cost of the option and labor cost to install it. Is this a skam?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Oh by no means. They can charge whatever they want to install stuff. Sirius and XM radio built in usually costs about 300-500 for the module and a dealer install. It is usually a poor value.

You can buy the xm sportster with a home and car kit and remote at sams or wal mart for $50. You can quickie install it with the suction cup windshield mount to evaluate in 5 minutes. You can just return it if you don't like it. You can also bring the receiver (and its $13.00/mo account)indoors and with a boom box in the park and such with some makes. To have the car mount and antenna professionally installed in your car with most brands would be about $140.

Good luck
    --jjf

Is it SOP for dealers to charge you the labor cost to add options onto the car you want buy? For example I agree to buy a car that does not include certain options that I desire, for example, Sirius radio The dealer tells me the cost of the option and labor cost to install it. Is this a skam?
  • osswaldgosswaldg Member Posts: 2
    When I did my original search for a Mazda 5 I was given the same answer that it would cost extra (labor) to install any the option. The point I didn't like was that the head salesperson at Towne Mazda (Orchard Park, NY) was to lazy to find out what the specific cost would be! Unless you need a car right now or it is a 2007 model I would order what you want that is what I did. The deals offered by Mazda since this car was introduced in 2006 have been been very limited for this model.
  • marshellamarshella Member Posts: 11
    Edmunds.com does not on it's pricing options list for the Touring the cost or MSRP for the navigation system. It is standard on the Grand Touring, but not seen as an option on both the Sport or Touring (even in literature /sales brochure from Mazda). However, I've test drove a Touring so equipped and have seen some others. I'm going tomorrow to try and negotiate a fair price on a Touring with this Navigation system - and want to know the invoice cost. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance....

Marshella in Baltimore
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    I show it as an option on the '07 Touring model. Perhaps the car you were driving was an '07?

In '07, the MSRP was $2000 and the invoice price was $1720. If it is available in '08, I would guess that the pricing would be similar.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• marshellamarshella Member Posts: 11
    Nope, it was an '08. And I've been looking at several '08 window stickers with the Navigation system as well (just don't have them here in front of me for the MSRP).
    Thanks for the prior year info - that I can definitely use as a basis for estimating the current year prices. I hadn't thoght of checking the '07 pricing.

Marshella
    I just posted a lengthy message in the general "Mazda 5" section of this forum, so I'll make this short.

I LOVE the car! I bought it AT INVOICE at the Manhattan Mazda dealer in, you guessed it, Manhattan, NY. That's what the dealer is called: Manhattan Mazda.

I was treated amazingly by the sales guy and by his manager - the one you meet with when you go into the dreaded "back room". But, even that experience was pleasant. They treated me with respect, dignity, friendliness and they did not pressure me to get anything I didn't want. In contrast, they tried any which way they could to save me money.

Turns out I was upside down 1K on my loan, so they added that onto my balance, plus taxes. Everything came out to under 25K and my loan interest and monthly payments went down, which I am very happy with especially considering it's a new and much improved car over the 06 Touring.

So, I genuinely recommend this dealer: Manhattan Mazda. Should you decide to go, please tell them that Hector sent you - that's me! I can't say the sales guy's name, but his first name rhymes with Prank. He's the best! :D
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    Hi,

I am looking to buy an '08 Mazda5 sport with manual transmission in San Francisco Bay Area. After sending a few emails to the local dealers, the best one I got so far is:

Selling price $17,299
    DMV fees $229.75
    Tax (8.5%) $1,475.09
    Total price $19,003.84

I am still waiting for other quotes to come in. But how do you guys think about this? Is it good enough or I can get even better? By the way, I asked for cash price without any financing or trades.

Thanks.
    Min
    manual 5-speed is still available in the Touring model

Any update? Is there a particular dealer? I have browsed around MazdaUSA, autotrader.com and vehix.com and I have not found any in the US yet (any distance actually). Canada has the MT option on the GT (note: not the same as the Grand Touring in the US, it is more of a Touring IMO), along with leather.
  • biogeobiogeo Member Posts: 2
    Byers Mazda in Columbus Ohio has at least two Mazda5 touring with MT: stormy blue and white. Mind that only white is listed on the dealer web site: byersmazdasubaru.

Brown's Alexandria Mazda
    7400 Richmond Hwy.
    Alexandria, VA 22306
    has four touring Mazda5 with manual transmission:
    Brown's Alexandria Mazda

Rosenthal Mazda of Arlington and Rosenthal Mazda of Gaithersburg have couple of "call for transmission" Mazda5 that might be touring with manual.

Also, it seems that Mazda5 touring with MT (as well as white, blue and black Mazda5 with MT ) were only available during the first production cycle and at least currently cannot be ordered.

Finally, my sincere thanks to rob222 for head-up.

George
    Thanks for the info, I now remember you mentioning that earlier :blush: ... Post some pics when available, that will definitely make it a rare find and a must get (almost like a collectible :D)

Added:
    I can see the pictures now for the Ohio one, great find!!
  • projectcadmusprojectcadmus Member Posts: 2
    Min (nihao4587): I paid a few hundred more (selling & total price) around new years for my 2008 Mazda5 Sport with manual transmission. The fees and tax sound about right. I was happy with my buying experience at Menlo Mazda (Redwood City). Please check in after you purchase and let us know how you did.
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    Price quotes updates (from San Francisco Bay Area):

Menlo Mazda: 19,300
    Fremont Mazda: 18,536
    Oakland Mazda: 18,436 (used to be 19,003 before I showed them the offer from Fremont)

Both are out-of-door prices. Should I grab the best one now or do you think the price of '08 Mazda5 sport MT will be significantly lower after mid-year? I planned to buy the car when it first came out, but I am not in a hurry by any means.

Thanks.
    min
  • jpaperguyjpaperguy Member Posts: 3
    Edmunds is showing the Lease special going on. I'm new to leasing and have a question. It reads: "Lease is based on a 2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring. Dealer may contribute up to $250 towards the $296 monthly special." What does the word "contribute" mean? I also don't understand how they want a $1,405 down payment but $2,296 is due at signing. What's the extra amount for?

Thanks in advance.
  • dickthebutcherdickthebutcher Member Posts: 4
    I won't tackle the first question, because I've never seen an ad phrased that way before. I can give you at least a partial answer to the second question. A lot of dealers require you to make the first month's payment when you sign the contract, and that is not usually included in the down payment. There could also be a security deposit required that's not included in the down payment. I would try to stay away from the deal if that's the case, though, because most good lease deals waive any security deposit nowadays. Read the fine print -- most of the answers are there if you look closely.
  • edikedik Member Posts: 8
    Two days ago I paid in Jacksonville,FL
    2008 Mazda5 Sport Auto with Pop.Eq. package $18450.
    Out of the door price ~19500.

Almost got an optional fog lights for the same price, but I've made a mistake by going to another dealership (B) and telling them the quotes from the previous one (A).
    As it came out later, they were affiliates and they contacted each other.
    Dealer B gave me ridicoluosly low price for trade-in and high price for the new one.
    It gave dealer A the opportunity to erase from the original deal the fog lights - "we gave you the good price anyway, even without the fog light, we know that you went to dealer B and know what numbers they proposed".

Since we have only 3 dealers in the city in can be the scheme.
    I would give an advise, do not tell the quote from another dealer (unless you are 100% positive they are not related) - if they want to give you a good price, they will give you anyway (if you not afraid of giving them crazy_low_numbers), but do not give them the opportunity to play with you.

P.S. I love the car!
  • renu_prenu_p Member Posts: 6
    it is good that you love the car. these car dealers i think i have an advantage over buyers because they have done the selling many times before and know the routine. know when the buyer is going to buy anyway. for us the buyers : it is one experience or multiple but limited to number of cars we buy. i think the dealer A should have kept his word/deal instead of removing the fog lights. if you have the deal in writing you could still try. you could go to the manager or say you would. overall i think you did well to choose a good vehicle and to do some comparison shopping and know that it is best deal you could have got anyway. did you get e-mail or fax quotes? and then bargain further from there? i do not know how far it works and how much lower one can go from receiving the 'free quote', 'quote from web site'. how is the mpg so far?
  • edikedik Member Posts: 8
    You right, we can't beat them in this selling-buying department. And I'm absolutely positive, even if you feel you got a good deal, there will be always the area where you lost.
    I did not have a chance to talk to the manager (he was late on Fri) but I left a message and still waiting for his call. The dealer himself did not care if i go to the manager.
    You are right, once you've made a promise you have to keep it (it was in writing in Email), but for him(them) it was all conditional.

The mpg I did not have a chance to measure it properly yet - still running on the first tank, but by how the analog moving it looks like it can be 24-25. (straight roads driving with min traffic and lights)
  • tyggertygger Member Posts: 59
    Hi everyone,

I went to the dealer to negotiate for a grand touring w/ auto trans and have a few questions.

1. Is the invoice price on the sticker window the invoice I should be going by?

2. I got quoted $21000, but when I told them I wanted the 1.9% financing, they wanted to add $500 to the cost. Is this right?

3. What price should I be targeting for a automatic grand touring?

Thank you in advanced.
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I have the Consumer Reports New Car Price Report for the Mazda5. For the Grand Touring, the total MSRP is $23000, including the $635 destination charge. The CR Bottom Line Price is $21111, so it looks like your $21000 was a good deal. Anything close to $21111 is good. I'll be looking in a few weeks for the same thing.