Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tonyecommtonyecomm Member Posts: 5
    Looks the winner is here. $869 below invoice.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    We were quoted $17,500 for an automatic '08 Mazda5 Sport. There are no options added on to this vehicle. In your (well, anyone's) opinion, is this a good deal? This, as far as I can tell, includes the dealer fee. I am really excited about this vehicle. Had to trade in my minivan a while ago ( ) and we bought a Honda Civic. The Civic gets great gas mileage but doesn't handle kids and dogs well. My 16 year sits behind my husband with his knees pushed up against the seat.
  • pcantorepcantore Member Posts: 148
    This IS great deal, congrats!! But, please don't be selfish and send us some proof so we can also be happy..

Drive safe,
  • finkbinefinkbine Member Posts: 3
    Year: 2008, July 8
    Trim: Sport, Copper Red
    Tranny: Auto
    Any extra accessories: none, free mats, free mud guard
    Sale Tax Rate: 6.25%
    Price you paid for your Mazda5 (including tax, title, fees): $19016 - 0% financing for 36 months
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope it is a good deal for me...
  • velouriavelouria Member Posts: 3
    We spent way too long at the Mazda dealership today.

Salesperson said the MSRP was $23,165 and wanted us to make him an offer but, after 3 hours, the kids had grown very grumpy and it was time to get lunch and naps. Salesperson said they wanted to get rid of the car (to make room for the incoming 2009s) so they'd give us a good deal.

My husband will probably call tomorrow with an offer. What is a reasonable offer? I was thinking $20,500. I would like to offer even less (and allow room for haggling) but don't want to insult.

What do you think?
    Can you tell us the deatil such as how much is the fee? and how much is the title? so that we can figure out the real cost for the car?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like a good price, take it vehicle by itself was around $17,650?
    Yes, the price for this car is $17695 before TTL;

I don't think it is a very good deal, I heard someone got Mazda5 $300-500 cheaper than mine for the same model; maybe my price is about 30% percentile among all sale prices before TTL.
    Actually I don't think your price is too bad, isn't the invoice something like $18,369? Naturally others may get a better deal but if the transaction was a smooth process I'd say you did pretty well.
    Really, base on invoice $18369, you have had $674 below invoice. Good deal to me. But as you said your friend got $300-$500 below yours, that is really impressive. so far I only see the $869 below is the best the deal in the forum.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    why worry about insulting the salesman, dont they do it to us all the time. i giot a gt 4 less then 20,000, and would you beleive the dealer for got to charge me his dealer prep charges, my gain his lost
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to speak with consumers who are thinking about trading in a gas-guzzler for a more fuel-efficient vehicle. If you are in the process of making this decision, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Wednesday, July 22nd.
    less than 20,000 for GT? How this happen? Can you tell us some more detail?
    Long story short....
    Test drove the 2008 GT at the dealership last weekend but they wouldn't even entertain our offer of $20k cash. They didn't have our first choice color of copper red, anyway, but they said they could get it within a day.

I contacted Carsdirect.com. Their no-haggle/no-hassle price was $22,013 not including options so I told them to find me a GT in copper red. It took a day for them to locate one 40 miles from me and we started the paperwork but just 2 hours before my husband and I were going to pick up the car, Carsdirect.com called and said that the car was no longer available. It had apparently been sold out from under us! They said they had a red GT with DVD system but of course we would have had to pay extra for that. No, thanks. Back to the drawing board.... :cry:

Around the same time we got the bad news from Carsdirect.com, our local dealer called and told us that they were expecting a copper red 2008 GT in their dealership that evening. [That was last night.]

Today we called the local dealership and told them we'd come in to test drive the red GT. We left the dealership with the copper red mica GT. :shades:

We paid slightly more than Carsdirect.com but feel it was worth it because we didn't have to drive 40 miles to pick it up. Price before tax & license was $22,600 which included 3 options (bumper protector, cargo cover, and cargo net).

The car is gorgeous, our 4 year old son loves it, it's the perfect size for our family of 4, and it had only 21 miles on it when we drove it off the lot. We're very pleased with our purchase.

Royal Motor Sales in San Francisco came through for us! Big thumbs up to them for the smooth buying experience.
  • mde83mde83 Member Posts: 1
    When I bought my Copper Red Touring back in late January, I really wanted a GT instead. But at the time, none of the dealers within 200 miles had a GT in any color I would have. Anyway, I ended up getting the Touring for $19,200 before TTL. Dealer prep fee was waived. I thought that was a good deal. I financed ther car.

Fast forward to yesterday. With the 0% financing for 36 months that Mazda has been offering...I thought I would go to my local dealer, who now has several GT's on the lot. I figured with the difference between the 0% and the 6.25% I was paying combined with the fact that my current Mazda5 only has 1,400 miles on it...that I might be able to swing an upgrade without the payment jumping dramatically.

Well...no dice. The dealer was offering $16,500 for my current car, and sticking right at MSRP ($23,365) for the Pearl White GT they had. The difference is $6,865 before TTL. I told him that I was looking for around $2,500 difference, thinking that we could meet at about $3,500-$4,250 at which I may have pulled the trigger. But the best he would do was $6,500. I told him to call me when he gets serious about selling his car.

I guess with the Mazda5 becoming more popular, dealers are playing hardball on price? Were my expectations unreasonable? No big deal. I still love my Touring model. But the bluetooth and the Xenon would be nice. Leather I can do without.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    You should not try to do the purchase and trade-in at the same time. You can probably sell your old Mazda5 through a newspaper add for $20K because it's a popular vehicle now. Just go buy your new Mazda5 without any trade-in.
  • wp746911wp746911 Member Posts: 26
    finkbine,
    Could you tell me which dealer you used? I'm in the houston area also. Did you deal via internet or in person?
    Thanks!
    RUSSELL & SMITH MAZDA

I heard that there is special deal for nissan quest, 40% off MRSP ($16000+TTL).

I recommend this deal, better than Mazda5, $5000 is enough to buy 1000 gals (20000miles ~ 25000miles) gas for the next 5 years.
  • wp746911wp746911 Member Posts: 26
    finkbine,
    How did you go about dealing? I went to edmunds.com and asked 4 dealers for their 'internet' quotes- and I am getting around 19,000 + TTL for a mazda5 sport auto. You got around 19,000 OTD- how did you bargain with them- who did you talk to (you can email me at my email address on my profile with the name)?? I'm very serious about buying now but am frustrated that they have quoted me about 1500 more than what you got a few weeks ago...
  • signtimesigntime Member Posts: 2
    Year: 2008, July 15
    Trim: Grand Touring
    Any extra accessories: none
    Price: $21500 (including dest charge) + TTL, and $0 down 0% financing
    Comment:
    I submitted requests for price quote on mazdausa.com for various dealers in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. Some other quotes I got were $21700+TTL and $22000+TTL. Got these quotes thru emails before I even stepped into a dealership. Arrived at the dealer, examined the car, did the paperwork, and left with the car about 1.5 hrs later. All in all, a much pleasant experience than I had expected.
  • x10guyx10guy Member Posts: 15
    Year: 2008
    Trim: Touring (Automatic)
    Color: Stormy Blue (a bit hard to find)
    Included Options: Cargo cover, Rear bumper guard, Wheel locks
    MSRP with options: 22,260
    Price paid: $19,500 plus TTL
    (I didn't really deal so I didn't get a particularly a good price but just wanted to add a data point to those thinking about getting one.)

BTW, if you get one with a sunroof/moonroof - installing the optional wind deflector is an absolute must. The wind noise without it is unbearable for any speeds above 45MPH. After nearly 2 weeks, I'm thoroughly convinced this is the most versatile car I've owned.

Almost bought a Kia Rondo but the sliding doors convinced me.
  • thecsthecs Member Posts: 7
    Not sure what you mean by "send us some proof", how?. We did everything by internet with the dealer and they honored their price quote. The price ($17,500) did include their dealer fee. We have been driving around with our new car (Copper Red) for a few weeks now and we love it. It is such a fun car to drive and so comfortable.
  • sdkirkssdkirks Member Posts: 1
    Date: August 8, 2008
    Trim: Grand Touring
    Any extra accessories: Color-Keyed Door Edge Guards, Rear Bumper Guard, All-Weather Floor Mats
    Price: $21750 (including dest charge) + TTL, and $0 down 0% financing
    Comment: Wanted a GT in Stormy Blue, but that color was really difficult to find. The nearest one was in San Francisco, almost 500 miles away (but only a $49 plane ticket). Worked with Pedro at Hayward Mazda. He was great, but finance department person was very difficult to work with. Flew there in the morning, picked up vehicle and drove home (and saw about 33.5 mpg!) Very happy overall.
  • boloti_troyboloti_troy Member Posts: 7
    About a week ago we bought a Mazda5 GT silver no options for 22400 + TTL in Orange Mazda, Albany, NY. Got 0.0% for 36 months.

Overall experience is pleasant, test drove in the evening, gave them a call next morning, visited them for 30 minutes in the afternoon to sign the papers and pick up the vehicle.
  • jamifergjamiferg Member Posts: 2
    Houston, TX

Just paid $18,900 with all fees and taxes ("drive-out") for 2008 silver Mazda5, Sport trim, automatic 5-speed transmission, no extra features, less than 35 miles on the odometer. Did I get a good deal?
    Well to give you a comparison here in San Antonio that model has been running for $17,995 plus TT&L so I take it the price before that was close to $17,500?
  • jamifergjamiferg Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. Yes, the price before TTL (had to look that up!) was $17,585.
    Sounds like you got a good deal, enjoy your new vehicle.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • zolixzolix Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2008 Mazda 5 Touring with no other option in Stromy Blue in San Jose, CA...
    price = $18,999 + tax, license, doc = out the door almost $21,000
    the car has only 3 mils on it and after my test drove, now, it has 9 miles. ;-)

I have also purchased the "Mazda Total Care" extended warranty (with ZERO deductiable) for 100,000 miles or 6 years. The GOOD thing is... if I do not use the extended warranty, at the end of the contact, I will get 100% money (the purchase price of the warranty) back. It is stated in the contract. That is the reason I go for it.

I think I got a good deal, and the dealer are easy to deal with. Put everything up front. will pick up my car tomorrow. (I walked in at 7pm and done with everything by 9pm)
  • mws_74mws_74 Member Posts: 4
    Purchase date 08/22/08
    Dealer: Lou Fusz Mazda
    Purchase price: $22,200 + TTL
    Options: Wheel locks (50), pin stripe ($85), nitrogen ($70)
    Color: Galaxy Gray

- Did not want the pin stripes. The dealer supposedly gave them to us for "free".
    - Had not heard about the nitrogen in tires deal until we drove the Mazda5. Dealer said it would improve tire wear and fuel economy. Can anyone confirm?
    - We wanted other options like cargo net, rear bumper guard & wind deflector but the exact vehicle was too difficult to find. Will most likely purchase after market.
    - Test drove an '08 Touring a few months ago and felt that the Grand Touring was worth the extra $.
    - Overall purchase experience was pain free and pleasant. Became engaged w/ dealer through employer's "corporate discount" program.
    - We fit the demographic for the Mazda5 - husband, wife, 2.5 year old w/ one on the way.

Happy shopping!
  • renayzrenayz Member Posts: 1
    Purchase Date: 8/27/08
    Dealership: Nelson Mazda Rivergate
    Purchase Price: $21,900 + TTL (ended up out the door $24,000 + change)
    Options: None
    Color: Copper Red Mica

We had been researching the Mazda 5 for a few weeks and test drove a Silver Touring at this dealership last week. They also had a Copper Red GT, which we loved, but thought it would be out of our price range.
    We got quotes from the Mazda dealerships in our area through the Edmund's TMV request. One dealership had a Galaxy Gray GTand a Black Touring, and they gave us a quote of invoice price on both. The difference between the two was only about $1800, so we figured why not? We called the dealership where we test drove the Silver Touring, but it had already been sold. But they still had the Red GT. We asked if they would match the invoice price of $21,900 that the other dealership gave us and they did. Oh, and they're tinting the windows at cost (approx. $150).
    The dealership had all our paperwork ready for us, we had proof of insurance faxed over to them before we came in, and we were in and out with our new Mazda5 in under 30 minutes. :)
    The dealership staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the experience was a very pleasant one.
    On a related note, we came from a 2003 BMW 325i and are so happy with all the room and features of this car. We have 2 kids (one is 18 months, so still in a carseat), and after stowing a stroller and all the other accoutrements that come with having a baby, the trunk of a BMW leaves something to be desired. We are so excited to have a car with so much space, but doesn't look like the typical minian! :shades:
  • johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    Bought our new white Touring 5 in New Orleans on Tuesday from Paretti Mazda. Started process on internet, the salesman was GREAT! Test drove the 5 and 3 just to get a feel for the difference. The 5 just fits our family better and the white really looks sharp! There were no Touring 5's in Baton Rouge, so New Orleans was the nearest dealership, which is about 60 miles away. Took advantage of the 0% financing, you just cant beat that. Only took off $1000 MSRP, but felt it was worth it and besides the next nearest dealership was another 3 hours away in Alabama. Needed a new car right away. So far so good. It may be just me, but the 5 seems to get alot of looks. :)
  • 73chevyimpala73chevyimpala Member Posts: 16
    Been trying to buy a used car for a couple of weeks, no luck with a couple of deals that fell through. My wife wanted to seat 6.

Woke up yesterday morning, 8/30, my cars newspaper section has a small ad, with a price for a Touring, $18,869. Salesman called us after I sent an email, and I told him I considered the ad to be a real ad. He said yes, it's real.

Boom, no BS, no add-ons, no problems.

2008 Copper Red Touring, $18,869, no destination charge, no other charges of any kind other than state required TT and L.

Zoom! Zoom!
  • melbyemelbye Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an '08 Touring w/ remote engine start, cargo cover, and roof rack for $20,055 in Dayton, OH. I thought that was a great deal, but $18,869--wow, that's incredible. Congrats!

I used the web to get quotes and to start a bidding war among dealerships. Matt Castrucci Mazda in Dayton was great--fast, friendly, honest, and detail-oriented through the whole process. We wanted the galaxy gray cover, but there weren't any left on the lot. We could've ordered one, but the dealer said he'd knock off $300 if we took one of his lot. Fortunately, my wife really liked the golden sand color once she saw it in person (the car's for her). Depending on the lighting, it either looks gold, tan, pale green, or all the above. People seem to love it or hate that color. So long as my wife's happy, I am, too.

I think I read every last consumer comment on this car before purchasing, including this forum--thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. We couldn't be happier with this car.
  • melbyemelbye Member Posts: 2
    In researching what I should pay for an '08 Mazda 5 Touring, I found this web site, which includes a free spreadsheet for figuring what the dealer actually paid for a new car, and what you should pay for it:

link title

Eye-opening, and very handy--this assured me that I got a good deal on our purchase. The web site has a lot of useful info on other aspects of the car-buying experience, as well.
  • anon1108anon1108 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2008 Mazda5 at 17,700 before TTL yesterday with POPULAR EQUIPMENT PACKAGE.
  • m5sport08m5sport08 Member Posts: 1
    Got it for 18000 out of the door with FL taxes on 08/31/08.
  • anon123456anon123456 Member Posts: 2
    2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring
    Stormy Blue
    Wheel nuts, Cargo net, All weather mats, Rear bumper step plate.
    MSRP $23403

Got it for $21400 + TTL @ 0%APR for 3 years in Newport, Rhode Island.

Dealer was great to deal with via email. Came in, signed papers and drove off the lot incl test drive in under 45 minutes.
  • humbug5humbug5 Member Posts: 1
    Purchase Date: 9/10/2008
    Dealership: Anderson Mazda
    Year: 2008
    Trim: Touring
    Price: $20,420 (including dest charge) + TTL, and 3.9% financing for 48 months
    MSRP: $21,595 (including dest charge)
    Factory-Installed Accessories: Compass/Auto-dimming mirror
    Color: Stormy Blue

After having a horrible experience with Schaumburg Mazda, I submitted an Internet request to three other dealerships on Sunday morning. Anderson called me that afternoon and after a 2 minute conversation and call-back in 20 minutes had located a car and quoted me a good price. They sent a spreadsheet showing how they got from MSRP to out the door.

I submitted a list of 8 accessories that I wanted to purchase at the same time and install myself. MSRP was $530 and they offered to sell them to me at $465, which is slightly over invoice. This sealed the deal. The rest of the process went pretty well with a 2-day wait to dealer trade the vehicle and some waiting during the closing process (mainly at the handoff between sales and finance.)
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Sorry guys, mine was used.
    August 19, 2008
    2006 Mazda5 Touring Auto Strato Blue
    42,000 miles
    $12,495 out the door (including T,T,L and Gap Ins.)
    Moss Bros. Dodge San Bernardino, CA

Love it!
  • smk124smk124 Member Posts: 11
    we are picking up our copper red 09 grand touring 5 this afternoon. Great experience with Sussman Mazda in Willow Grove, PA. Price was $22400 +ttd including the following:
    Sirius radio, ipod attachment, remote starter, door guards, wheel locks, rr bumper guard, removable roof rack and bicycle rack. My research tells me that is about $200 below their actual price. Sounds good to me.
    Wow, that IS a good deal! We paid $22,600 + TTL for our 2008 GT 2 months ago... and that only included the rear bumper guard and cargo cover.
    I have also purchased the "Mazda Total Care" extended warranty (with ZERO deductiable) for 100,000 miles or 6 years. The GOOD thing is... if I do not use the extended warranty, at the end of the contact, I will get 100% money (the purchase price of the warranty) back. It is stated in the contract. That is the reason I go for it.

But...if you use the warranty for one thing you won't get anything back from what you paid on the warranty. So if you paid $1000 for the warranty and you need $500 in warranty repairs, if you use the warranty you won't get the other $500 back. More than likely you'll have a few minor (less than $1000 repairs prior to 100,000 miles at which point you'll either have to pay the repair cost or lose the purchase price of the warranty.

BTW, what did you pay for the warranty?
  • zolixzolix Member Posts: 2
    For this "Warranty", I think of it as an "insurance". I will need to use it if the Mazda5 need "major" repairs :sick: (which will cost me more than the purchase price of the warranty).

Also, I had a Lexus before. It was EXPENSIVE to bring the car to the Lexus dealer to do any services or repair. Just a 30K major service cost me easily $1200. Therefore, for me, it make sense to purchase this "warranty" for the Mazda5, especially, when the car is about 4 and 5 years old, the problem may start coming out.

Anyhow, it is all about personal preference.
    You're right...it's personal preference. As long as you don't use it for the next 7 years you'll be good, but the dealer is betting that if someone has a $500 repair, then they'll use the warranty, which voids getting the $1500 refunded back (or whatever was the initial cost)...what did you pay for the warranty?
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I know I'm late with this posting, but I purchased my Touring with the bumper guard and the auto dimming mirror with home link and the price was 20680 + 7 % tax and other fees. I bought it in April but have used it very little - only have a little over 1000 mi. on it. So far I must say I love the car - handles great and it's just the right size for me and my wife.
  • ki101ki101 Member Posts: 1
    After having a terrible experience with Malloy Mazda. I just picked up a White 2009 GT w/o NAV from Fairfax Mazda, VA this evening.
    Paid $21600 with free Roof rack, Moon Roof deflector and remote engine starter. I think it was a wonderful deal. We finished the deal over emails ( I didn't feel like sitting in the showroom and bargain for hours). Robert didn't give me any hassles at all.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    I was offered one of those deals on extended warranty and the 100% money back guarantee. The problem was that 3-4% of inflation compounded over 6 years meant I would lose between 20% and 25% of the money even without using it.

Another consideration when getting those kinds of warranties are the cancellation clauses in case of theft or total loss on an accident. Some contracts state that you can get your money back pro-rated from the day you bought the vehicle rather than from the last day of the standard warranty.
    Been driving my red GT 09 for almost a week and I love it. Drives beautifully. Has much more pickup than I expected. Quality seems perfect so far. Love the bluetooth phone. I've been yelling at my wife for years to use a earpiece. Now she can drive with at least one hand while putting on her makeup.
    Also, I did purchase the extended warranty. Original quote was $1758 for 7yr/100K. I showed her a quote from Ford/Mazda that I got over the internet for $1035 for 8yr/100k. She brought the price down to $1378, then added a $50 coupon. So for $1328, we'll feel safe for 7 years. Also zero deduct. if service is done with that dealer.