Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• oahumazda5oahumazda5 Member Posts: 12
    You might have missed out. The Owner Loyalty is an additional $1000 that is available for Mazda owners, and I don't believe it excludes other incentives. It's on the MazdaUSA website. I think the dealer used it on the '07 I owned for a few days to get me into the 09. They make more profit on used and they would have had to give some of that up when I made the switch.

Like I said above, I paid more than I needed too by 1-1.5K - more than I would have if I would have decided in the first place I wanted new, and if I had found out what people were actually paying on this forum, rather than using TMV or KBB which apparently is not including the dealer incentives.

But I don't think I got totally screwed and we're happy with the car. Probably the best thing for those of us who didn't get the killer deal is to stop reading this thread and just go enjoy the car!

They gave us a discount on the set of Mazda5 set covers so the $300 mazda gift covered the price. Ordered them this morning :).
  • redberryredberry Member Posts: 10
    As explained already, the dealer can offer $1000 off as an incentive, UNLESS you opt for their 0% financing. It's similar to "cash back, or low rate financing, take your pick" deals. They don't explain it as a service fee if you take their financing - they don't add it to the invoice, or MRSP, or anything like that (like TTL). Unless your financing from another lender is really low (under 4% on $18,000, for example), you'll pay more than $1000 in interest over the life of the loan.

Now, I'm always being told of a different fee that some in this thread don't seem to have to deal with - the processing fee, or delivery fee. This is independent of how you finance the car, and the dealer's quotes I'm getting always say "with all incentives, not including taxes, tags, and processing fees."
  • goodmovegoodmove Member Posts: 47
    We pay Tax 6% in Broward County. Tag around 150 to 225 for a new tag. Tire disposal 6.50? and the "Dealer Services Fee" which ranges from what I have seen from 250 to 895. The 895 is at the Eddie Accardi dealerships.
    The never-ending story continues:

Because we have a fraud alert on our credit report, the financing never went through with the dealer. I went back to the dealer today and they applied the $1000 to my balance. I'm going to pay cash so I just saved some more $.

Thanks for letting me know the 0% APR deal has another option.
  • pug_sterpug_ster Member Posts: 4
    Just got back from the dealers on our 09 Mazda5 touring and it didn't turn out so good. For the second dealer who says that they can offer the car for $16.5k 2 days ago, we went there today and they said that it was offered as their month end and now they are only offering it for $20k for the touring edition, so we walked out. For the 17k car from the first dealer, they said it was available then they tried to force me to buy an 7 year 100k mile extended warranty for $3.5k and bulk up another $2.5k in other charges. When I asked questions, the salesperson treated me like an idiot. I had to pull out my wife out from the dealer because she is emotionally attached to the car and she was kind of glad later that we got nothing. The car dealer which tried to offer the 17k mazda5 touring edition is Giuffre Mazda at Bay Ridge Brooklyn so just a warning for you out there not to go there. I might go to the other 2 mazda dealers in the end of the month to see if they want to sell. I have nothing against buying a new mazda5, but I wanted a decent low maintenance used car but I can't convince my wife to buy another car...
  • pat555pat555 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I discovered the incentive on the owner part of the Mazda website, which I forgot about it for like 3 years. Well, the dealer did not get the money directly (because they need my title of my old mazda to authorize the owner incentive, according to Mazda website). I guess they might get a bonus because they save the manufactuer money.
  • a101a101 Member Posts: 9
    New to this forum.
    I purchased a used 2008 Mazda 5 Touring with 15k miles on it for $14,800 over the weekend. I think I am happy about the deal although its not as great as I (initially, before visiting here) thought before. :shades:
    This is from D. Dahle Mazda dealership in Salt Lake City, UT. The sticker price on the car was over $17k.
    The dealer was OK. Nothing too special about their service. Salesman was appearing too busy on the day of sale. The guy who had to print all the sales documents took sometime as well. He was offering $1100 for extending the warranty to 6 years and 75k miles. If not used, the money will be refunded at the end of the warranty coverage period. What do you guys think of that deal? Should I get it?

Thanks,
    I've never heard of an extended warranty that would be refunded if not used. Sounds too good to be true to me. Read the fine print and google the warranty company.

I think conventional wisdom on extended warranties, if you're going to get one at all, is to buy them from someone other than the dealer.
  • robert2008robert2008 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2009 Mazda 5 Sport AT November 26 for $16888. Got the financing through the credit union for 4.74% for 60 months. This was from Herzog-Meier Mazda Beaverton, Oregon. I don't know if I overpaid, but it's a price I can live with, about $3000 below MSRP.
    Congrats on your purchase...

I think you got a good deal. 2009 brand new for under $17k can't be bad.
    Did you get the offer for the warranty? I was offered that by the dealership. It is extension of the factory warranty offered by Mazda. I did not see any papers for fine prints and those details but it made sense to me. They charge you a little extra upfront for the option of paying back. But what it does for them is that now you (the owner) won't go to them for little little thing (probably anything costing you less than $500). You won't get those small things fixed under warranty to keep the $1100 cash back at the end of the 6 years. Saves Mazda some money as the warranty essentially becomes not bumper to bumper but only for major components -- because as I said, you won't go to get small issues fixed under warranty... that's how I think they can offer the option to pay back the warranty money... :confuse:
    Thanks for your comment "oahumazda5"!

You say buy it from someone other than the dealer because of price or service? Shouldn't a warranty from Mazda be the best one to get for a Mazda car? And the dealership is there and they can do the service and handle the claims with the least hassle. With the online warranty companies its always a few extra steps to get the authorization for work etc.

Is $1100 for 3 years extension a good price?
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    a101,

I dont want to be a party pooper, but here is my $0.02 The price you paid for the extended service is about average of what people have posted here. I had never heard of getting a refund if you did not use the extended service either as oahu mentioned. My understanding has been that you can get a full refund only if you cancel it before the original warranty (3yr/36k) runs out. After that, you can still get a refund if you cancel, but it will be a pro-rated amount. Reasons for canceling would be a change of mind, sold the vehicle or a total loss. Most people forget about their E.S. when they sell or trade in the vehicle and/or when they experience a total loss, thus extended service companies keep the money and make out like a bandit, unless of course you remember to cancel.

Also, an E.S. contract is just a peace of mind thing. It will only be of value if it is used past the premium paid for, in this case $1100. So if you have trouble-free ownership after the normal warranty period or only use the E.S. plan for less than the amount you paid for it, then it automatically becomes a waste of money. It is really a gamble you take whether you purchase it or not, it is strictly a peace of mind unless it is used and taken advantage of its benefits.
    I really don't know much about extended warranties, but my general feeling about them is well summarized by vg33e. If you want the peace of mind, I have read that after-market warranties are a better buy. The paperwork might not be as easy, but significantly cheaper. For example, my credit union (PenFed) offered me an E.W. that could be rolled into the finance deal, and it was several hundred dollars cheaper than what the dealer offered. I prefer to take the gamble that my car won't need significant repairs, and if so they won't cost more than the price of an E.W. I can see why others would want the peace of mind.

The strange thing to me about the deal they offer you is to take the point of view of the EW company. If you need no repairs, they give you your money back and make no money. If you need $1100 in repairs, you break even and they make no money. If you need $2100 in repairs, you save $1000 on getting your car fixed and they lose $1000. What's in it for them? If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Thanks for your responses.

I'll call the dealership again and try to get clarification on the money-back part of the warranty. I agree, it doesn't make much sense... except that they get to keep the $1100 for 5 years and can make some money off of that.

I have not bought the warranty yet... but looking in to it...
  • pug_sterpug_ster Member Posts: 4
    That's looks like a pretty good deal. After almost being ripped off trying to buy a new 2009 Mazda 5, we decided to try to get a slightly used 2008 Mazda 5 thru a dealer auction. I agree with the others and you should not buy a warranty from the dealer and you should buy on your own like from warrantydirect.com.
  • ziffoziffo Member Posts: 2
    I am getting email offer from various dealer in SoCal. The best so far has been $20,221 which includes the $1000 cash incentive. This is a for a 2009 Mazda5 GT in Crystal white with no additional options.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks
    I'm getting quotes for around the same (just under $17,000) for the 09 Sport AT, but the wrinkle is, the price is minus the $670 Mazda destination charge. Mazda's MSRP includes the destination charge, Mazda dealers don't include it when quoting their price. So if your price of $16,888 was for everything except TTL, that's great. For me, it's not really $3000 below MSRP, it's more like $2300 below, due to the game they play with destination charge.
    Finally did it - bought a 2009 Sport Automatic with no options other than wheel locks, for $17,100 before TTL and other fees.

Other fees include: destination charge (freight) and processing fee. I dislike how Mazda quotes MSRP with freight included, but dealers quote the price without it and you add it back onto your "best price". When I asked a dealer why they did that, he said so they could be aggressive with pricing (as, they can make the price seem like a better deal than it is!).

So, freight on the car was $670, which is standard for Mazda (but it's now gone up for the Sport AT). The dealer processing fee was a whopping $349. Other dealerships in the area charge the same.

When I was getting quotes for $16,995, I was forgetting the $1000 ownership loyalty incentive, which I don't qualify for, so even without that, I got close. I stayed under $19,000 for the total out the door price, so I can live with that. Looks good in the driveway!
  • ziffoziffo Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of my new Mazda 5 GT in Crystal white.

I paid $21,810 out the door. :shades:
  • speddyspeddy Member Posts: 16
    Just wondering, in an earlier post, you said you had a much lower deal worked out at 20,200 or so. Why did you go ahead and buy at 21,810? That's quite a bit higher. I am in the market to buy a grey GT mazda 5 and I got the Consumer reports new car report that said the bottom line price should be 21,445. There is no mention of any rebate on the consumer report. I was at the dealer the other day and the sales man mentioned a 1000 dollar rebate for mazda owners, but we don't own a mazda. I think he is just offering me dealership money off and calling it a mazda owner rebate. What do you guys think?
    (chiming in) No, there really is a Mazda owners loyalty incentive of $1000. In addition, there is an additional $1000 incentive if you do not finance with their 0% APR deal (more like a dis-incentive to finance through them).

Go to mazdausa.com, click "view the latest offers", it asks for your zip code, and for mine, it gives details on the loyalty incentive, plus the 0.0% APR for up to 36 months plus 0 monthly payments for 90 days (but you forfeit $1000 if you go that route).
    I'm not sure how we got the mazda loyalty incentive, because I haven't owned a mazda before. Although my father owns one. But I didn't tell them that. We ended up getting 1750 in rebates in addition to another 1200 or so money off. We bought a 08 Mazda 5 GT. So we saved about 3k off of MSRP. We bought on Dec 31. I really thought it was a good deal. So end price was 20,500 give or take from memory. MSRP was 23,500. Does this sound like a decent deal? I love the car!
  • kaeslerkaesler Member Posts: 3
    I notice that Wellesley Mazda here in Massachusetts has some specials on their website that include a new Mazda5 for $16300. Is this too good to be true or is it a new factory incentive? It appears to be the latter: $2000 cash back.
  • acupunk09acupunk09 Member Posts: 2
    Is this for an '08? We negotiated for an '08 down to $15,800. This is for a Sport with no options. $16,300 is still good IMO. Ultimately we bought the '09 for $16,800.
    Very good deal. I bought the grand touring because my wife wanted all the goodies. I would have bought the sport if I could have talked my wife into it. When you think about it that is a awesome deal. You are getting a roomy car almost like a minivan for about 5grand or more less than regular minivans. My wife and I test drove a basic dodge minivan and didn't like it. And it was 2-3 grand more than what we paid for our loaded mazda 5. Great deals out there now.
    I think it is a 2009 Sport with no options.
    Just signed for a 2009 Mazda5 Sport Auto for $17250. Out the door cost is $18642 after 5% State sales tax, title and doc fees.
  • EricM5EricM5 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just bought a 2009 Crystal Pearl White Grand Touring from John Kennedy Mazda in Pottstown, PA this past Saturday. (Very nice and straight forward General Manager) We just lost our Ford X-Plan/S-Plan because Ford dropped the plan for Mazda about 4 weeks ago. So I was disappointed until I walked into the dealer and they said we would get invoice right away (which is what the S-Plan would have gotten us anyway)...

So, we got:

Invoice Pricing
    $1000 Loyalty Cash (we own another Mazda)
    $500 Customer Cash
    3.9% financing for 72 months

We specifically said before going in we would not get the extended warranty. However, they offered dealer cost and $0 deductable, which sucked us back in to get it anyway. We got the 5 year, 100,000 mile plan for just over $1000. Couldn't resist it since I expected more from a previous quote from another dealer. Still wonder if this will pay off. Also may change it to a 6 or 7 year since we drive less than we used to.

Don't remember the final price, but could get it if anyone is interested.

The White makes it a very nice/stunning looking car.
  • fufu1fufu1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the Mazda 5 09 Spot (+wheel lock and net), OTD 18000 + 0%APR 36 months.

If I don't take the 0%APR, but 6% financing, I can get OTD 17000
    I would be interested in your final price. It sounds like you got the same car we did pretty much. Except ours is an 08 and it's not white. We got ours for 20,500 give or take before taxes and title. I thought that was a pretty good deal. (about 3k off)
    another dealer just called me and said he can counter offer OTD 17000 + 0% APR (instead of OTD 18000 + 0% APR). He can transfer the deal for us even we have already bought the car from another dealership.

Have you guys heard of this arrangement?
  • broyangbroyang Member Posts: 2
    Wow, How did u get this low OTD price? Where is your dealer?
    New Jersey
  • EricM5EricM5 Member Posts: 2
    Including the $670 Destination Charge it was $20,611... this included the $170 for White and $40 for Wheel Locks.

I did notice on Edmunds.com that the '08s were actually going for below invoice. The Mazda Loyalty Cash was the kicker for me... the extra $1000 off.
    Edmunds and other sites... are not good for giving pricing info on such recent models I think. Also, its hard to stay up to date with falling prices in this economy. Last month, I purchased an '08 used (15k miles) Mazda5 Touring for less than $15k. Sticker price was $17999 on that.
  • broyangbroyang Member Posts: 2
    Is your price included 1K Mazda loyalty rebate? currently I don't have any Mazda car, so I wonder whether this causes big difference, but still can not understand how can you 17K+0%APR?
    Mazda has $1000 loyalty rebate and another $500 rebate + 0%APR (mazdausa.com has mentioned the 500 + 0%APR). In this low market, most of the dealership can offer invoice price as the OTD price even without the rebate. Deducting the $1500 rebate from the invoice price ($18900) is roughly $17000. In the beginning, they refused to offer 0% APR. They insisted that I can only choose either the rebate or 0%. I printed the latest incentive from mazdausa.com which clearly stated that customer can entitle both incentives. That's the story I got $17k OTD + 0%
    I am totally with you on that. Those websites and other services can't keep up with prices that people are actually paying. We purchased a mazda 5 GT recently and before we had gone to the dealer we ordered a pricing sheet from Consumer Reports. Wow that was 14 dollars wasted! At least it was only 14! They didn't say anything about any of the rebates that we got. It didn't prepare me at all for the buying experience. We ended up getting a great deal only because the dealer just offered it to me and because I read this site. I was 1/2 tempted to call up CR and ask for my money back, but I didn't bother.
  • ams6ams6 Member Posts: 1
    I agree that the price reports are way out of touch.

Just bought a Mazda5 Sport manual on 1/19. Here's how it worked:

Dealer offered $15,995 (including destination of $670)
    Owner loyalty -$1,000

Bought the car for $14,995 +TTL

OTD was about $15,800
  • letoleto Member Posts: 23
    could you please specify which model did you get and what dealership in NJ you have worked with.

Many thanks!
  • polycloudpolycloud Member Posts: 3
    I'm shopping for a 2009 Mazda5 Sport with automatic transmission and no other options. Here's my calculation of what I should negotiate for. Please let me know if it's reasonable and whether anyone has gotten close to this price or whether I've left anything out:

MSRP: 19105
    Invoice: 17899
    Factory holdback: -382 (2% of MSRP)
    DealerCash: -1500
    Destination charge: +670
    Documentation: +200
    Sales Tax: +834 (5% in Massachusetts)
    Customer Rebate: -500

Total OTD payment: $17221

Also, has anyone managed to negotiate a trade-in value higher than KBB, while also keeping the price of the new car low?
  • shawbegshawbeg Member Posts: 11
    I've narrowed, and narrowed my choices and am relatively firm on this decision now. Reason for the 08 is that the 07s did not have a/c vents in the back (huh?!). I'd prefer a manual tranny if I can find one, but they seem few and far between. I'm seeing a few as low as the 15s but most are 17K up into the low 20s. What I don't know is what kind of deals I should expect. Somewhere in these posts I saw that someone paid less than $17K for a *new* 09. Advice please.
    Mazda 5 09 Spot basic model, with wheel lock, floor mat and net in the truck
    dealer is maxon and the one in Rt 23

Special financing is very important too. Remember to bargain 0%APR
  • chris123338chris123338 Member Posts: 4
    I paid $16264 for 2009 Mazda 5 silver sport automatic transmission with 4 miles on it

My options are

Remote starter
    rear bumper guard
    fog lights

I think I got a good deal... a very good deal
    I paid $16264 for 2009 Mazda 5 silver sport automatic transmission with 4 miles on it . I live in MA to so add 850 for sales tax

My options are

Remote starter
    rear bumper guard
    fog lights

I think I got a good deal... a very good deal
    Chris...

Certainly a great deal for a brand new M5. Does this also include all the documentation and destination fees that dealers charge?

Congratulations!
    16229 plus 300 doc fee plus MA sales tax 853

Go to Quirk Mazda and tell business manager that Chris and Susan told you to go to to the fast talking salesman or his brother who works there. I negotiated deal on phone for 15,800 and then added the remote starter for 429....factory deals end Feb 2
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    Did that price include the $1000 owner loyalty?
  • shawbegshawbeg Member Posts: 11
    I'm in the final stages of negotiating the price on a *new* 2008 Sport Manual w/ 172 miles. No added options.

Price I've been quoted is $16,793.20 OTD. We don't qualify for the loyalty rebate.

What is and who qualifies for the Special Purchase Offer of $2,000 Customer Cash listed on the mazdausa website?

Dealer has offered to bring this car to me - 2 hours away - and did not indicate that there would be added cost.

I'm planning to pay w/ credit card (even though I know he's not going to like it!), but I'm not inclined to budge much on the price if they balk given that 2009s are selling for a similar price in some places.

Anything I have overlooked?

Quick!
  • mazda5rocksmazda5rocks Member Posts: 1
    MSRP: 22645
    Invoice: 21229
    Dealer Price: 20549
    Mazda rebate: $1000 (included in the dealer price)

Total OTD payment: $22135 plus 2.9% financing.

Paid for the rear bumper guard separately, negotiated over the email and phone, it was easy and fun!