Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I'm buying in the DC area and received an offer from a dealer yesterday for an 09 Sport AT with no options for $17,508 OTD. What's the verdict on this? This is the best price I've seen in a week's dealing with local dealers.
  • tomas_elantratomas_elantra Member Posts: 9
    When you write $17,508 is that including tax&lic fees and the rip off fee...uh i mean the document fee? if so jump on it, and if not it is still a very good bargain. I paid about $17800 for mine (2009 sport automatic) a few months ago, plus t&l and got the document fee to $15. We are happy with the vehicle, I get about 25mpg average, and have no real complaints to speak of.
    Yes, that's with all the fees driving the car off the lot. The salesman indicated they were willing to go lower if another lower bid comes in. I'll cross my fingers that this is the real deal. BTW, I went to the showroom yesterday to drive the vehicle and get the numbers. I was the only customer in the place. I guess they're desperate for buyers.
  • danimal7danimal7 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up an 09 Sport with a manual transmission for 15,115 + 218 (license/title) for a total of 15,333. I'm in Oregon, so no taxes. It was an ad special, so no haggling. It was one of the most pleasant car buying experiences I've had. I was in an out in a bit over an hour.

This is an incredibly good time to buy a car.
  • sea_munkysea_munky Member Posts: 3
    Hi. A local dealer offered 20,970 out the door for a 2009 Touring model. Is this a good deal? That's with taxes and all the other stuff.

I am debating between that and a local used one from a private seller. It is a 2007 Grand Touring with 16,200 miles. This one has leather and a DVD player. He is asking 14,750 but I think I might be able to get him down to 14,000.

I don't really care for those other options. What I DO want is a moon roof, hence the Touring trim.

Which do you think is the better deal? Should the dealer go lower. After reading everyone else's deals, I think I should try for lower. Shouldn't the Touring be just around $1200 over the Sport? Thanks for your replies and opinions. Cheers!
  • njmom91njmom91 Member Posts: 21
    At Maxon Mazda, NJ
    "negotiated'" to Out the door: 19750

breakdown (how they worked their numbers to get me the number I wanted):
    (20 mi on vehicle, red)
    Unit Price 17673.14
    Etch 199
    tax 1251.05
    nj tire tax 7.50
    reg fee 242
    online MV fee 8.30
    "Clerical Expense" 369
    total: 19749.99

Not sure if this is the 'best' deal, but I am happy with it and the car. :D
  • tomas_elantratomas_elantra Member Posts: 9
    njmom91 I do think the "best deal" is if you are happy with the car/price/dealership, plain and simple. For instance I paid more than some, but not as much as others, and I am satisfied with that. Hope you enjoy your new vehicle!
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Paid $15,995 CAD ($12,955 USD) from a Mazda dealer. 72,000km (45,000 miles) on it, the Canadian GT is equivalent to the US Grand Touring model without the leather and NAVI which is extra and no HIDs. Nice car, my wife and I love it. =) We didn't talk down the price but instead talked up the trade-in value of our 08 Corolla to $13,000 ($10,600).

Agreed, being happy is #1 priority. If you have that gut feeling in your stomach that you aren't happy, then you still have to talk. For me, it was that moment when the dealer crossed out $12,500 and inked in $13,000 for my trade in and extended the bumper to bumper warranty to 4 years/100,000km that I knew it was a good deal. :)
    Actually got the car for $17,144 OTD. I couldn't believe how painless and smooth the entire process went. Dealer is Castle Ford Mazda Mitsubishi of Silver Spring MD. The price is for a VA registered car.
  • marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
    I am very close to purchasing a new 5 here in SC. I have a malibu maxx and our family wanted a third row of seats. The car seems very peppy for a 4 cyl. I wish that it came with tinted windows. I will probably get that done. Have you been pleased with your 5? I am also wondering how easy the seats are to clean as they are very light beige.
  • marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
    Okay, I took the plunge and purchased an 09 touring model for 14,500 with my trade in. I love it!! My hubbie says it looks like an egg, but oh well it kinda does. It sure is fun to drive. I got some seat covers so hopefully we can keep it clean on the inside!!
  • bikash007bikash007 Member Posts: 10
    Got the following price for Mazda.

MSRP: 21,563
    Invoice: 20,563
    Price: 20,463
    Rebate: 1,750
    Final Price: 18,713

Then I will have to pay taxes, title etc. Please let me know if you think this is a good deal.
  • afsealafseal Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Thanks for your info. Can u tell me exact location of the dealer you made a deal?
  • pedxingpedxing Member Posts: 2
    We're really close to buying a new 2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring.

The dealer is talking invoice - $250 (using "his" family discount) plus we'll take the $500 cash and 2.9% financing. So total is invoice - $750 + tax/title/dest.

But I'm suspecting that there is room to move below invoice. The local dealers are claiming there's no more marketing support from Mazda, no volume incentives, etc. I think this is bunk!

Can anyone tell me if they've purchased a NEW 2009 Mazda5 below $750 under invoice?

Thanks!
  • pedxingpedxing Member Posts: 2
    FYI, I've talked to a few dealers about 2009 Mazda5 GT purchases. They're all offering Invoice - rebate easily: $750 under with the finance or $1500-$2000 under with self-financing.

For example, a no-option M5 GT would be $21,149 with available 0.9%/36 financing.

No one is willing so far to go under invoice.
  • m5norcalm5norcal Member Posts: 4
    With no options. That makes it basically invoice + $50. Seems decent, but I saw someone in Portland above at $15.1. Not sure if that was with the same incentive structure as now: Paying cash, so my number includes $1750 dealer incentive. Is $750 below invoice (before dealer cash) a reasonable expectation?
    Factory-installed items are obviously all predetermined for the car you've picked out, but seems like there are a lot of smaller items, bumper protectors, compass mirror, cargo net etc. That you can either buy or (more likely) ask for in bargaining. Curious as to what people think is worth having?
    Thanks to the Portland poster, I said I had an offer at 15.1, so he came down from 15.7 to 15235 plus a few knickknack options. (Sport manual, no factory options.) That's about $750 below invoice after incentive. Wasn't an arm-twist, I'd guess there's room below $15k, at least with this $1750 dealer incentive going now.
    Tax (9.5%!) 1453
    doc fee 55
    license 172

Out the door at 16933.
  • maxmonmaxmon Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a NEW 2009 Mazda5 Sport auto trans with only the 1PE "popular equipment package" for 17,400 before tax, reg. and fees. The total out the door price was 19,150.00. So at 17,400 this is significantly below the Edmunds invoice of 18,990. I went through the Costco quote system. They said I could get the Sport Auto trans with no options for 17k even. Though this is nowhere near the Portland price I just read about, it's the best price I could find in N. California. I heard that CA folks buying a car in OR have to register it there for 6 months first??? Though I can buy WA or NV cars with CA smog, I would still have to pay CA sales tax when registering with CA DMV and this negates the advantage. Thanks to all the other folks who post here for helping me know what's reasonable. ;)
  • gotpaymentsgotpayments Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Stormy Blue Mazda5 Touring for $18.6k in April. Not including delivery, tax, tags, title, etc.. With that I got roof racks, all weather mats, rear bumper guard, door edge guards, cargo net, cargo cover, and wheel locks. So far I'm very happy with the car/van... with it. I'm concerned about the upholstery and how it will look over time; it's pretty light and has no pattern, only texture. I'm Scotch Guarding this week. Since purchase I have added seat covers for the middle row, the Mazda sun shade (big windshield wouldn't hold my old sunshade), and the Mazda cargo mat.

Only problem item (condensation inside driver side tail lamp assembly) was replaced at delivery.

Dealer experience was great. They seem to want to move cars and are backing away from hard sell tactics. I went to Rosenthal Arlington Mazda in Arlington, VA. Elizabeth was a very knowledgeable and helpful salesperson.
  • wizkid98053wizkid98053 Member Posts: 7
    In WA state I am getting the following deal -
    2009 Mazda5 Sport AT
    Base + No options
    OTD Price = $17000 + tax + $120 (doc/title)

Please advise if this is good deal. I want to get one this weekend!
  • trdsddtrdsdd Member Posts: 14
    Wre looking to purchase a new car. It's most likley going to be an Elantra Touring or a Mazda 5 Sport or Touring. When checking the website of a nearby dealer I noticed that they still had a 2008 Mazda 5 Touring with a MSRP $21,373. I have not went to check it out yet. Does anyone have any ideas of how much below invoice before the rebates ( $3,000 Customer Cash or 1500 cash plus apr) I should try to get this for?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am almost tempted to start at around 18K- 18.5K .

Thanks
    Wizkid: Just bought a manual sport base no options for 15.2, and it could have gone lower. With the invoice of the AT about $1k more, I think you should be able to go down to 16.1 or 16k even, if you're paying cash and the 1750 dealer incentive is still in place for May.
    Thanks m5norcal. You got 09 Sport MT it for 15.2 cash which is (17.8 - 15.2) = 2.6 below invoice? Nice ...

I will counter the dealer offer with the following and see how it goes -
    09 Sport AT with no options
    $16K + tax + title/doc/reg (Cash)
    $17K + tax + title/doc/reg (0%APR for 60months)

(P.S. I have a trade worth 6K so hopefully some tax savings and we can write off sales tax here in WA too :-) ).
    Well so far no luck. Am I too greedy here?
    Here is what I asked for -
    '09 Sport AT Base - $16000 cash + tax + doc
    '09 Grand Touring Base - $19500 cash + tax + doc
    It's certainly not unreasonable. Where are you at? I got my 09 Sport AT base for $17,144 OTD, including all taxes and fees. I'm in the DC area and the dealer is Castle Ford/Mazda/Mitsubishi.
    I am in WA state. Really want to drive home GT before this weekend and here is what I am asking for -

'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
    $19500 + 9.5% tax + ~200 doc/title (Cash deal)
  • gearhead1977gearhead1977 Member Posts: 15
    Just bought a left over 08 GT for $19100 in NYC ( we live in western PA, worth the deal, lowest quoted for an 09 GT was $22100) Floor mats, wheel locks and bumper guard installed options.

For those considering the GT, the leather,Xenons and Bluetooth make it worth it IMHO.
    Thanks gearhead1977

I have the following 2 vehicles on mind. Need guidance from forum as which one to buy.
    08 Touring (base stock with 39 miles) - $16000 + TaxTitleLicense
    09 GT (stock base with no options) - $19800 + TaxTitleLicense

Both are good deals IMHO. Are these (Xeon, Bluetooth, Leather Seats, Heated Seats/Mirrors, Security) worth the extra money ~3.5K on GT?

I am kinda stuck in these two vehicles so need help to close before EOD.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I don't have a GT but me personally I would dish out the extra ~$3500 for those added features.

Xenon = better visibility and awesome looks.

Bluetooth = never have to worry about buying a portable blutooth and having it on your ear; safer as well.

Leather Seats = easier to clean, specially if you have kids or dogs.

Heated Seats/Mirrors = if you live in cold/freezing weather you will love it.

Security = factory wired alarm without the need of after-market splicing and messing with electronics.
    Thanks vg33e power :-)

I must say this is the best car buying experience being in the driving seat of negotiations instead of walking out with a feeling of just being robbed.

I am going ahead with the 09 GT instead of 08 Touring
    Wifey wants leather/heated seats on her car; couldn't get on on Mother's day and can't wait for the Father's day. So go ahead with the purchase this weekend ...

09 GT - $19000 + TTL (GT Base + Lifetime Powertrain Warranty)

Thanks folks for this awesome forum!
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2008 Touring which I bought because I felt the extra money was not worth it. If you really want those options, than get that car, but I did not feel I needed leather seats (the cloth seats in the Touring are good) and all that extra stuff. I would go for the 2008 Touring. It is still very well equipped. Good luck!
  • daddynobucksdaddynobucks Member Posts: 3
    Lansing, MI

2009 Touring - Stormy Blue (gotta say it, love the color).
    Options - Auto-dimming rearview mirror w/ compass and HomeLink

Picked it up yesterday. I received S-Plan which isn't the best deal, but I didn't want to drive 1.5 - 2 hours to see what another dealer would give me for my trade in. Did price shop and only found one deal better and that was only by $325. Traded in a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i wagon, which I loved expect the reliability wasn't there. received $9,400 for the trade and with S-Plan got out the door for $15,500. The 5 rocks. Just made a 1.5 hour trip north with the wife and the 1-year old and loved it. I'm 6'2" and had to have a telescopic steering wheel. I can now drive in a comfortable position and my wife can sit in the back behind me with room to spare. Could not do that in the Subaru!! I'll miss the AWD, but love everything about the 5.

If you're looking for vehicle that will give you room for a small family, haul some stuff, get good gas mileage, and doesn't cost $30,000, the 5 will not disappoint.
    That is a fantastic deal. I wish I possessed your negotiating skills. I should have had you buy one for me.
  • scrappywyfscrappywyf Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted $21,962 for GT stock with no added options. This includes TTL and doc fee (CA).

Is this pretty average or is there some wiggle room? :confuse:
    Sounds pretty good to me. MSRP is $23,345, so you are getting it for below invoice. Is that including the dealer incentive or Mazda cash back?
    If you want more, have them throw in a couple of oil changes or a cargo net.
  • melarskymelarsky Member Posts: 5
    Gee, thought I was getting a good deal until I started reading this forum. Currently have negotiated to pick up an 09 Sport with auto, popular equipment, and dimming mirror for $17,400 + 237 fees + tax. Only 2 Mazda dealers in town and the other was 600+ higher. Is this a good deal or am I missing something.
    I think you can do better. Many dealers are advertising 09 Sport models in the $15k range. I got mine OTD for $17,144.
    Where do you see these advertised? I'm in the midwest and unless I want to drive to Chicago or Detroit, I don't see them advertised around here for anywhere near that. But if those are base sports with no options, then I'm not too far off. Automatic and a couple options add around $1700.
  • sehmiatasehmiata Member Posts: 1
    scrappywyf - can you let me know what dealership you received this quote from? I am interested in purchasing the exact spec vehicle you were quoted on. I'd really apprecaite it!
  • redrxredrx Member Posts: 3
    Test Drove a bunch of new vehicles going back to May of last year... 2009 Ford Escape XLS 4cyl Auto Trans, 2009 Honda CRV LX Auto Trans, 2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8 5M, 2008 Chevy Malibu LS Auto, 2008 Chevy HHR LT1 Auto Trans, 2009 Chevy Traverse LS Auto, 2009 Subaru Forrester 2.5X Auto Trans, 2009 Honda Odyssey LX Auto, 2009 Toyota Highlander with the 4 cyl Auto, 2009 Toyota Rav4 with 4 cyl Auto, 2008 Kia Rondo EX Auto Trans.

The Highlander was the nicest, but also busted my budget. Kia was also surprisingly nice and inexpensive, but wife vetoed based on looks. Oddy was solid, but I have low MPG fears based on forums and user reviews. It came down to the Escape and 5. Loved them both, felt great on the road and comfortable behind the wheel. Ultimately features for the $$$ and most fun to drive won out in Mazda's favor.
    Touring - Black on Black
    $18799 + Tax Title and Registration
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Thinking about a Mazda5 touring with Auto, I live in Phx, AZ, what are the normal prices these things going for does anyone know. I have read some posting, it look liked &18.5K with TTL is about the best deal I have seen for one...

Tony
  • stardazzstardazz Member Posts: 2
    Narrowed down to 2 vehicles and Mazda has slight 'likability' factor though its also slightly more expensive.

The dealer is in Northern Virginia and has given me an out-the-door price on a new '09 Touring Mazda5 (no additional options) of $20,153 (tax, prep, freight, etc...all in).

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on what kind of 'deal' this is.
  • bolvobolvo Member Posts: 5
    STAY AWAY - From MAZDA We bought a used 2007 Mazda 5 it's NOW ASHES !
    2 weeks ago yesterday my 2007 Mazda 5 with less than 45K on the odometer caught on FIRE. We called Mazda to report it and their response was: Report it to your insurance company - we can do nothing; the same type of response from the dealer and so on. My wife is very upset. We have maintained the vehicle w/ care and diligence. Oil Changes, Repairs done at the Mazda dealership and the vehicle passed inspection less than 2 weeks prior to the fire. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED. NEVERTHELESS IT IS SAD FOR US TO SEE HOW THERE'S LITTLE THE MAZDA DEALER, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SERVICE ADVISORS HAVE DONE TO TRY TO GIVE US A REASON OR INVESTIGATE. That was the last Mazda Vehicle we owned. We are going straight to a TOYOTA dealer. NO MORE MAZDA's for me or my family. No more fire hazard.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Dude, Mazda is right, call your insurance company that is the right thing to do, IF your insurance company thinks its a manufacture issue, they the insurance company will take care of contacting Mazda, why do you pay for insurance, just for this problem. Sorry your Mazda5 caught fire, but to blame Mazda because they told you contact your insurance is completely funny... What do you want Mazda do to, say, Oh we are sorry YES its our fault and we are so sorry for this problem, here is a brand new Mazda 5 for your problems.... THAT ain't going to happen. BTW, doesn't matter who you buy, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Ford, they all would have told you the same thing....
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I agree with flightnurse. Also, Could you explain what happened? Leak? Friction? Exhaust? Short Circuit? Explosion? Playing with matches close to the gas tank? Oh, and some pics would help before everybody panics

Thanks
  • stardazzstardazz Member Posts: 2
    Ummm....ok, sorry about the fire. Can anyone respond to the original question in this thread? Thank you.
  • mpm10mpm10 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a cobalt red (5spd sport no extras) for $16,735 out the door. ($15,500 plus title and tax -- $150 + $1,085 = $16,735). It took some negotiating and trips to several dealers. I usually managed to bring most of the dealers down to $15,500, the deal breaker came when then tried adding dealer or prep fees. Thankfully I found one that didn't add these fees. They just padded the title fee by a few dollars. The car handles smoothly and is a joy to drive. I just wish Mazda would include some of the European features such as the Karakuri Seating System and front-to-back roof rails. That would make this car a much better value.
  • loomis1loomis1 Member Posts: 4
    MPM10: Can you tell me if this was Auto or Manual ?

$15,500 is a GREAT price on a Manual, and would be a Stupendous price on an Automatic.

I know there's customer cash of $500, does anyone know what kind of Manufacturer to Dealer cash is available on the Mazda5?
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss but your post is like crying wolf. Without any specifics it is meaningless. For all we know, the cause of the fire had everything to do with you and nothing to do with the car. And Mazda was right to tell you to call your insurance company and not them. Haven't you ever wondered why you bought auto insurance? If someone somehow determines that there was a fault with the vehicle, Mazda will be notified.