Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• littlebenbenlittlebenben Member Posts: 2
    I am now at Oregon. I am planning to buy a Mazda5 sport AT. For base model vehicle with no options, I want to offer the dealer
    16k with cash
    16.5k with 0.9% 36month financing
    are these offers reasonable? Can I make a deal? Anyone at Oregon buy this car recently? Can you share your information?
    Thank you for your suggestions
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    Hi,

Find out the dealer's cost and add a reasonable profit for the dealer. Always bargain from the dealer's cost UP. Good luck. I have a 2008 Touring and love it.
  • littlebenbenlittlebenben Member Posts: 2
    How may I get the dealer's cost then? Please forgive me if this question is too naive. I am a new buyer.
    BTW, I am looking for the 09 Mazda5 sport AT.
  • mainlinemommymainlinemommy Member Posts: 1
    We just came home with our new Touring. We paid $19,499 OTD (including 3% sales tax and everything else). After we negotiated the price we told them we wanted a color combination they didn't have on the lot. They got the one we wanted, with no additional fees or deposit or anything. We were very happy with the dealership and experience. Oh, and that was with dealer cash incentive. We brought our own financing (3.99% through credit union). This is in NC.
  • drrobludrroblu Member Posts: 3
    $1750 Dealer Incentive still in place for June- this last week, Dealers have been offering me $1250 difference between cash and special financing (also edmunds put it up within the last few days.

2 days ago, Bought Sport AT Copper Red for $17,144 OTD = $15754 + $670 destination + $100 Dealer Processing Charge + $93.50 Tags/Title + $493 Taxes

Castle Ford/Mazda/Mitsubishi in Silver Spring, MD (I am VA Resident so 3% Tax -same OTD/location as msg 857)

No Hassle, e-mailed me $17,364 quote ($15998 + fees/tax/tags/dest) 1st thing in AM, I called in a couple of hours, they got the car from another dealer while I arrived early, after car arrived with 80 miles on it - spent less than 1 hour start to finish - even knocked down $250 in less than 5 minutes mentioning other quotes

btw, Ourisman Mazda in Laurel offered a Sport AT galaxy gray for $17,354 OTD with popular equipment package (6 CD) after we rejected the black down to $17,154

Both places were quiet (Castle had maybe 3 people come in 2 hours on a Saturday) - both were really willing to sell and not try to hassle me into equipment/warranties I didn't need

Great time to buy! gl!
  • ssmcmz5ssmcmz5 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up a 09 Mica Gray Sport (manual) on Friday, paid 16,185 out the door. Me and my kids are digging the extra space. Traded in a 06 Passat with a significant engine problem (burning oil faster than you could put it in the car). Dealer is Concours Motors in Milw, WI.
  • fitty5fitty5 Member Posts: 1
    To mpm10, $16,185 out the door? Can you break down the numbers to show what you paid before tax, title, license? (these will vary by state) I'm assuming your numbers do not account for moneys received for trade-in.

Thanks!
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    We just picked up a 2009 Gray automatic Touring for $19,678 OTD.

$18,273 (incl. $670 dest. charge) + $1102 taxes (6%) + $303 fees.

Also included were the cargo net and rear bumper protector, worth perhaps $70-ish.

We used the same Maryland dealers that others have mentioned (Ourisman and Castle). Looking at previous posters, I can see that others were able to get better deals but all in all I'm satisfied that we did good enough.

Customer traffic was moderate at the two dealerships today. Not too busy but not dead either.
  • mmp0806mmp0806 Member Posts: 4
    We are looking at a Mazda5 sport AT. The local dealer (only one in Memphis--next closest is 2 1/2 hrs away) gave us a price of 18,000 + taxes, etc. with 2.9% financing and $500 cash back(which can be taken off the price on the front end). He pulled up the KBB price of 18,600+ and said this was a really good deal. However, after reading these posts, I am thinking this is not such a good price. Also, from what I understand the dealer incentives will change July 1. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
    By the way, the local mazda dealer did not even have one on the lot for us to test drive. They said they would probably get some in this week. :P
  • echipechip Member Posts: 6
    I am also looking for Mazda5 sport with autotransmission in NY/NJ/CT area.
    I checked carsdirect dot com, the lowest price is $16,750 with manual trans. I added auto trans. price came out to be $1100 more.
    Total is about $17850 + taxes, etc.

Maybe it will get cheap as 2010 model is coming out.
  • drrobludrroblu Member Posts: 3
    Is 18,000 with or without destination? If with, it's not a horrible price. If you get Mazda financing, you get the $500 cash back, if you can pay cash, there is a $1750 dealer incentive which is used in a lot of the posts. They extended the $500/$1750 incentives from May to June so you're probably ok waiting to see what next month brings

gl
    I am not sure about mmp0806. But price at cardsdirect does included destination charge.
  • dahersdahers Member Posts: 2
    Bought a Manual Shift Sport, in gray, for $16,888.20 out the door -- $16,850 minus $1750 dealer cash brought the sale price to $15,100, plus $670 freight, $946.20 Maryland tax, + $172 in fees. Found Maryland dealers were willing to waive the $100 dealer processing fee, though after agreeing to waive it, my dealer -- Congressional Mazda, Rockville, MD -- tried to tack it back on at delivery. Also, caught the dealer pumping up title/registration fees. I had settled on price by e-mail and ended up knocking another $70 off just by insisting that they break down the fees and explain how they were doing the math. Brown's Fairfax had attractive ads but in the end would go no lower than $17,400 OTD for the same vehicle. Castle Mazda would match Congressional but would not deal any further. Gaithersburg Mazda seems to have a bunch of 5's in stock - presume there are more good deals to be had as the last of the '09s are just coming into port.
    Wow, that's a good deal $16888 OTD.
    Cars Direct would not do that. I asked them, they said $1750 dealer cash has already factored in on their website.

If $16888 OTD for Sport manual trans, then I figured add $1034 more for Sport auto trans., price should be lower than $18K. I asked them $18,500 OTD, but they said no. Oh, well, I guess I will wait another month or two to see what kind of incentives they have.
    $16,888 otd sounds great. We weren't too interested in dealing with Congressional because they struck us as the sleaziest among the dealerships we visited. But congrats on snagging a deal from them.

I wasn't too worried about excessive fees since at that point we negotiated the final numbers, I was dealing with OTD price anyway.
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    It looks lke MAzda lowered there incentives for July. Does anyone know what the cash incentive is for July???
  • dahersdahers Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you did really well yourself.

If we had visited in person, we probably would have had the same reaction you did and walked out. But in the end, we did not visit any dealers except for an initial test drive to make sure we knew what we wanted. After that, it was just a numbers game. And nobody was going to give me a deal based on my good looks. :) Luckily the Internet shopping sites have put pressure on dealers to negotiate seriously by e-mail. The "squeeze" at delivery was quite impressive as the dealer pushed everything under the sun -- extended warranty, key-fob loss protection, even tried to get us to finance the vehicle with their preferred bank at a high rate.

Bottom line is they know the numbers better than shoppers do and they know if a competitor's deal looks realistic, so there's no harm in bouncing one offer off the other, and you don't have to name names.
    Apparently there are no incentives for the mazda 5. I just spoke to a dealer in nashville who looked on the dealer website and said that since the mazda5's are selling so well they were not going to have an incentive this month. Bad news for those of us who waited! Our dealer in Memphis does not even have any in stock.
  • cyclone83cyclone83 Member Posts: 60
    That's terrible news!! We've been trying to time our purchase with incentives, the Mazda Preferred Buyers Card, and cash for clunkers. We had to wait for cash for clunkers, and it looks like we missed out on the incentives :(
    I agree! we were waiting on the cash for clunkders thing too. I was just now looking at the kia sedona--doesn't get as good gas mileage but they are offering 2000 cash back I think and there seem to be a lot more of those around, so they are more willing to deal. Looks like we could probably get one for about the same price as the mazda5.
    This seems to indicate that the $1750 incentive is still there:
    July 2009 Incentives

I'm waiting for a call from my local dealership to confirm one way or another
    That would be awesome! Will you let us know what you find out? Thanks!
    I am going to call the dealer here too.
    For July, there is no cash rebate included in the financing offer...this is different from past months. However, the full $1750 cash rebate is still available. So you can either choose the low financing or the full cash rebate. Yahoooooo! :D :shades:
  • bytehausbytehaus Member Posts: 2
    Hi, there, everyone...looks like everyone here has done quite some shopping around...I have to admit that this was our first dealership car-purchase (and first purchase of a new car), so I wonder how we did in our negotiations...any opinions would be most welcome.

We bought a new '09 Silver Mazda 5 Grand Touring with the black leather interior, no GPS, (I drove it off the lot and LOVED it) for $ 19499.- (plus tax, the usual DMV fees, etc). It came out to an OTD of 21,780.- (sales tax in our county is an outrageous 9.75%).

They wouldn't give us the 0.9 APR with this deal (otherwise it would've been more expensive), but we had a large downpayment, and secured a very good interest rate through our local bank and didn't let the dealer's finance guy hassle us into their much higher rate setup (and boy, he sure tried), so that was OK with us.

Any thoughts on how we did, price-wise, with this deal?
    Looks like about $700 under invoice. I'd say you did pretty good.
    Looks like a good deal! Did you buy at the end of June? Maybe that helped buying at the end of the month as well.
  • bytehausbytehaus Member Posts: 2
    Oh, great, that makes me feel good...we really liked our dealer, he seemed very straightforward with the numbers and didn't give us too much of the back-and-forth haggling-shpiel. I'm happy to hear we got a good deal then!!

We bought on June 30th, but had already looked at the car we wanted at his dealership a few days prior....
  • c_j_falkc_j_falk Member Posts: 4
    Awaiting delivery of 2009 Silver Sport with automatic transmission and no other options (including no "popular equipment package"). Price agreed to on June 26 was $16,600 out the door (including the $670 destination charge and the $1750 incentive but before taxes, which are paid at licensing). My dealership is trading one of their cars to another dealership for this one. This was a cash offer with no trade in. Hope this helps someone.
    $16,600 OTD is a GREAT price for the car w/ auto trans. I want the SAME car w/ auto trans, no other options needed. I am in New York metro area, emailed 4 dealers around here for $17500 last week. No one responded. :confuse:
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Dealers hardly respond to e-mails, I'd phone them at least but more likely than not they won't make you a deal until you actually meet them face to face.
    Er... isn't it more than that? According to Edmunds, invoice is $21,229, or $21,979 including destination fee, for a grand touring. So a price of $19499 (including dest. fee) would be about $2400 below invoice.

Unless you are talking about invoice factoring in holdback fees, which I have no idea about.
    You probably right about "dealers hardly respond to e-mails".
    But I have to disagree about "they won't make you a deal until you actually meet them face to face".

Many people got the final quote and/or fax for OTD price before they go down the meet the salesman. A friend of my bought a Honda Accord, agreed on OTD price before he met the salesman face to face.
    Your not taking into account the $1750 Cash incentive, so it actually is about $650 under invoice.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I guess it may differ in different geographic areas. I did all my bargaining for my M5 Sport AT via email with the dealers, and agreed to the price ($17,144 OTD including all fees, title/tags, and taxes) before visiting them. If they're eager to sell, they know those who email with specific prices in mind are serious.
    $17,144 is also a great price for M5 Sport AT.
    I just emailed to about 6 dealers around New York metro area. Told them I am willing to pay $17500 OTD, only 1 replied said no way I can get it for that price. He said the lowest he will go is $17500 + tax + reg. So I offered 18K OTD. He said no.
    Oh, well, I will continue the huntings....Happy July 4th everyone!!!
    Well, maybe we're just arguing semantics here, but the $1750 incentive doesn't really alter the invoice price. The incentive is not mandatory customer cash; the dealer can do whatever he wants with it. Some dealers are upfront about giving the whole thing to the customer. Others just subtract $1000 or so from the sticker price and say, "what a great deal for you!"

There probably are people out there buying the car without the full benefit of the $1750. You wouldn't say that they paid above invoice (unless they really did pay above the original invoice).
  • vantx001vantx001 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a first time new car buyer and any response to these questions would be greatly appreciated:
    - What would be the best invoice price (including dest. charge) for a Mazda5 Sport AT (no options) in Dallas, TX?
    - What is the breakdown of taxes/title/regn that I need to added to this price?
    - My expected OTD price (including all taxes etc) is $17,500..is that reasonable?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    The breakdown in fees for Tx is as follows: 6.25% sales tax, $127.05 DMV fees, $50.00 Documentation Fee, .002543 X Car price (Texas Inventory Tax).
  • thegrokerthegroker Member Posts: 3
    Would you mind sharing the name of your dealer? Sounds like you got a great deal, I'd love to chat with your dealer and find out if they have more at this price. I live in St. Charles and just test drove a Mazda 5 yesterday.
  • c_j_falkc_j_falk Member Posts: 4
    thegroker:

While the rules of the forum allow naming the dealership, be aware that it has been 11 days since I made the deal and I do not have a car yet. Part of this may be my own doing because I was very clear with the dealer that I could be a low priority compared with other folks he was dealing with. My old car still works and once I'm safely locked in to a price, the longer I wait to take delivery, the longer it is before I have to start paying the increased insurance premium on the new vehicle and I can bank another paycheck or two. When I checked to see if the deal had fallen through after 3 1/2 days, I was told that, due to the end of the month/quarter and a big sales event there were a lot of dealer trades that were still in negotiation. When I just checked in after a total of 11 days, I was told that the originally proposed dealer trade hadn't gone through and they were trying to work a trade with another dealer, which they should hear about tomorrow. As a result, I'm hesitant to do anything that might smack of recommending for or against this dealer until the deal is done.
  • sherofthe80ssherofthe80s Member Posts: 43
    We've received a price for a 2009 Mazda5 Touring Silver w/cargo net, wheel locks and bumper protector for $18,550+ taxes and fees. Good deal or should I go for better? I'm not a great negotiator. I asked for the best price from 3 dealers and this is the lowest that was offered via email. What is a reasonable offer? I have a clunker that I will be trading in for $4500 (dealer is unaware of clunker at this point) and a $2000 down payment.

Located in Western New York.

Thanks!
    I'd say it's a pretty good price. For reference, I checked the Costco Auto Program price here in MN, and a base Touring was $18596. According to the guy I spoke with, supposedly the Costco price is $100 under invoice for Mazda. You could probably get it down a bit, but not more than a couple hundred unless you are willing to walk away and be very patient. If you don't like negotiating and all that crap, you could just go with it since you'll be getting the clunker discount.
  • thegrokerthegroker Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing. I think it's very smart of you to lock-in a great price while waiting on the delivery. Please let us know how it turns out after the deal is done.
    Sherofthe80s,
    Be carefull, that price of $18550 is a pretty good price but that may be including the
    $1750 in cash incentives. If you finance through Mazda you don't recieve that discount. The price would then go up to around $20300.
    Let us know how you make out.
  • pfferraropfferraro Member Posts: 4
    Did Mazda just raise the MSRP to 18,745? I'm not sure what to make of this. Invoice is $17,840 now.

Any thoughts?
  • pfferraropfferraro Member Posts: 4
    Ah, wait. TOTAL MSRP is 18,745 - and includes the 750 destination charge.

BASE MSRP is 17,995

Actual invoice should still be 16,865...but is it appropriate for the dealer to add the destination charge to the invoice price?

I'm working through an auto buy program - price is supposed to be $300 "over invoice".

Now...any thoughts?
  • sherofthe80ssherofthe80s Member Posts: 43
    Thank you both. It does include the $1750 incentive. So, I'll have to get financing. Two of the dealers said the cash incentive is better because they can get me 4.5% financing if we have excellent credit (which we do). Still a good deal knowing this tidbit that I neglected to mention?
    In case anyone is interested, you can get 3.99% financing at pentagon federal credit union (penfed.org, costs $20 to become a member)
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Well, you'd have to qualify for membership in PenFed in order to get membership. It isn't open to the public, only to DoD employees and other organizations affiliated with the military.
    You can join the National Military Family Association (NMFA) for $20 and you're good to go!