Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

can the S60 AWD get close to the S60R or just dreamin?

lovesthevolvoslovesthevolvos Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Volvo
i really love the s60 r but was wondering if i could take the s60 AWD and give it some more hp over time. any recommendations. maybe the same with the s40 t5 AWD, could this car be pushing 300hp w/ mods. but keep either of these cars as a daily driver. thanks fellas.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hmmm....another 50 HP out of a turbo 4 cylinder? That's going to take some serious engine work I think.

Also you have to consider the effects of high HP on an AWD system---you could end up eating clutches for breakfast.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Various tuners such as iPd sell chip/exhaust upgrades to boost horepower in Volvo engines. From what I've read elsewhere, they've been pretty reliable.

Shifty- Both the S40 (new style) and S60 are 5 cylinders.
    Ah, thanks for the info. I guess I saw "T5" and thought of the older models with that designation.

So anyway---50 more HP from CAI, intake, cat back exhaust and a chip....hmmmm......maybe, maybe, but I'd sure want to know what that chip is actually doing to my engine.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    That is easy - cutting the lifespan down by half or more.
    I was told by a prett-y well respected engine builder that a turbo engine already loses 10% engine life as compared to the exact same engine in n/a form.

So if we have a chip that is messing with maximum boost, or a boost controller allowing you to manipulate that manually, lemmer might be right about this.
  • lovesthevolvoslovesthevolvos Member Posts: 3
    well i figure a new exhaust, air intake, re-flash, down pipe, shoulde give quite
    a gain. do you have any suggestions for manufactures and such? i understand
    there are a limited # of them.

any suggestions for a clutch upgrade?

i plan on piecing stuff together in a good order and then getting it flashed
    (hopefully i can find someone capable).

i don't want an ultimate car here just some modes to give it some more GUTS, i would really like to get the S60R and mod that to give my buddy w/ modded WRX a run for his money since he thinks volvos suck, i recently showed him some time slips of some s60r's that stomped some STi times.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    It would be likely cheaper in the long run (especially from a resale standpoint) to just buy a S60R. Or, you could buy something like an older S70 turbo and mod it and not have to worry about ruining a nice newer car.
    That's one way for you to go and not a bad idea. Lemmer is right, you will drastically lower the resale value of this car if you do that to it.

But having said that, I think someone already recommended IPD for you, which is a great start for Volvo mods. I'm sure IPD could turn you on to other sources, too.
    Here's the low-down on IPD's flash ECU reprogramming to allow more boost. It's a pdf file, so it might take a moment or two depending on connection speed.

I agree with lemmer; find the nicest '98 (pre electronic throttle) S or V70 T5 you can find and mod the whee out of it. You'll be saving money over buying a new-ish S60 and you'll have a greater degree of latitude for what you can do, mod-wise, with the simpler engine management system.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    First problem is, you aren't talking 50 hp. You're talking 92 hp difference between the 2 (only 208 in the 2.5T AWD volvo - if you have the previous 2.4T, then you're only getting 190). 2nd problem is that even the R does not make that much power in the first 2 gears of the automatic version. The volvo automatic can't take the power, so the ECU cuts the power WAY back in the lower gears. SO, putting 300 hp through your tranny is going to shred it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• s60t5s60t5 Member Posts: 3
    It would be easier/cheaper to buy an S60 R and just go from there, I currently own a 2001 S60 T5 and although it's quick I'm still short about 45 hp and torque from the R model. One of my customers owns an R and was nice enough to let me drive it and poke around under the hood, even though it's still under warranty. what I found was that not only is the ECM different but also the injector rail, wiring, TCV and a few other differences. Personally I'm saving up to the point where i can sell my T5 and then turn around to buy an R, just seems more practical to start modding an already faster car. and as far as engine life goes, yes it significantly cuts the life of the engine. Apart from my T5 I also have a 1989 780 with 205,435 and it's still running amazingly for it's age. This most likely will not happen with my T5 model, not only because of the added stress of the modifications but also because when you mod a car like this you'll be driving it harder and doing more jack-rabbit starts
    You also have an entirely different engine in the T5. That's still the 2.3 liter, is it not? While the R uses a 2.5.

You can crank that T5 up to R power with just an ECU and full exhaust ... but it still wouldn't have the R's AWD, nor would it have that cool adjustable suspension. But, heck, the T5 is still a fun ride, in my opinion (of course, I'm biased) :).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hey, let me know if you're ever ready to sell that 780...
    You're right, the R does use a 2.5L. As far as the AWD all the bolt holes are already there in a FWD car, it's just the enormous expense of the rear end swap, ecu change and all the headaches that go along with that. But I just found out on a website soley ment for dealers that there is a OEM upgrade you can do to your suspension to get it very close to the adjustable 4C suspension in the R, don't know how well it will work but for 3k it better be amazing. Speaking of ECU upgrades (and sorry to change the topic) where are you looking that the T5 will match an R? and what kind of price? The fastest I found was IPD/Heico which only brings it to about 280. http://ipdusa.com/pdf/ecu_guide_2001_05.pdf
    ... although you are talking about front wheel drive versus all wheel, which with the same power FWD should be noticeably faster
    I guess I should have said ABOUT the same power. It is 20 less hp, but its 20 more lbs of torque, so it is pretty close.

And, like you said, without the drag and weight of AWD .... but then you have a lack of traction problem with putting that much through the front wheels.

yeah, but just more to experiment with =-]
  • fadetoblackiifadetoblackii Member Posts: 29
    T5 is a 2.4L in the S60.

I've gotta say you hit the nail on the head with your suspension comment. The S60 (let alone the S40 T5) doesn't have anything close to the suspension that's in the R. So on top of all the other differences in the engine, tranny, etc, you'd still have all that power and not the suspension to properly enjoy it.
    T5 is a 2.4L in the S60.

You're right ... on the '05 and up. Up till '04, it was a 2.3. I never realized they bumped it up in size.

This discussion has been closed.